PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Marr to join Morrissey on stage?

trentmorrison
04-04-2009, 04:04 AM
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/dec2008/6/1/222F0727-F057-2156-FB4A275C718BB31D.jpg
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/04/smiths_reunion_rumored_at_morr.php

Smiths Reunion Rumored at Morrissey's Jones Hall Show
By Chris Gray in This Just In
Wednesday, Apr. 1 2009 @ 3:04PM

Strangeways, here they come: Rocks Off has learned that former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has requested passes for his ex-bandmate Morrissey's sold-out April 11 show at Jones Hall, leading to speculation that the two will perform onstage together for the first time since the influential Manchester band's acrimonious 1987 split.

"Johnny's manager emailed us Monday asking for tickets and backstage passes," a source close to the show's promoter told Rocks Off Wednesday. She asked not to be identified "because I would be so fired."

Marr is scheduled to be in Houston next weekend promoting his new "Bigmouth Strikes Again" guitar-effects pedal at several area music stores. The chiming but steely guitar sound he trademarked on Smiths classics like "Hand In Glove," "This Charming Man" and especially "How Soon Is Now" - which Morrissey continues to regularly perform in concert - became a cornerstone for bands from '90s UK Britpop stars the Stone Roses, James and Blur to present-day U.S. indie-rockers the Shins, Death Cab for Cutie and Dr. Dog.

Since leaving the Smiths, Marr has collaborated with members of the Pet Shop Boys and New Order in Electronic, and joined Pacific Northwest rockers Modest Mouse full-time in 2007 after writing several songs with frontman Isaac Brock for MM's album We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. He has also recently been joining youthful UK indie-rockers the Cribs onstage at several shows.

Morrissey has had a successful solo career with albums including 1988 solo debut Viva Hate, 1994's Vauxhall and I, 2004's You Are the Quarry and this year's glam-influenced Years of Refusal.

Rumors of a possible Morrissey/Marr reunion have long circulated within the music business, even though Morrissey once told Gigwise.com he'd "rather eat my own testicles than re-form the Smiths - and that's saying something for a vegetarian." He famously turned down a $5 million dollar to reunite at the Coachella Music & Arts Festival outside Palm Springs, Calif., in 2006, and is scheduled to play this year's festival later this month.

More recent events suggest the duo may be more amenable to reviving the Smiths, however - last year, they both helped remaster Rhino's double-disc The Sound of the Smiths anthology. But why would Morrissey and Marr choose Houston, of all places, for such a momentus event?

"I honestly don't know," Rocks Off's source said. "I guess they figure if they did it in the UK or New York - or even Austin - the media attention would be too overwhelming. But Houston is pretty far off the music business' beaten path, and always has been. Plus, the show is already sold out, and Coachella is coming up in a couple of weeks, so you never know."

If the reunion goes well, the source added, the Smiths could also be a last-minute add to either Lollapalooza in Chicago this summer or October's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Zilker Park. "I'm sure they would make room for them," she said.

Marr is currently playing a leg of UK dates with the Cribs and was unavailable for comment. A spokesman for Morrissey's label, Lost Highway Records, released the following statement Tuesday afternoon:

"Check your calendar," he said. "And please quit bothering us with stuff like this."

bartelby
04-04-2009, 04:24 AM
"Check your calendar," he said. "And please quit bothering us with stuff like this."

frozen pilgrim
04-04-2009, 05:58 AM
oh god that's funny

shakermaker113
04-04-2009, 07:38 AM
coachella 99 anyone?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-04-2009, 07:48 AM
coachella 99 anyone?

if only....

Mr.Nipples
04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I've never heard of such a pedal...

fatbastard
04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
That's quite a shirt he's swearing. Yeah, they would ever be talking about Austin or Houston.

momof5
04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I saw Johnny Marr at Coachella 2003 and was disappointed. Still,Morrissey and Marr would be something to see! I was abig Smiths fan in the 80's. There are some advantages to being old(er).

psycobetabuckdown
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
When I was your age, I saw The Smiths open for Paul McCartney.

boarderwoozel3
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Certainly hope Marr does, it would probably mean more Smith's songs than usual.

djandrews25
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/dec2008/6/1/222F0727-F057-2156-FB4A275C718BB31D.jpg
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/04/smiths_reunion_rumored_at_morr.php

Wednesday, Apr. 1 2009 @ 3:04PM

."

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAPPEN.....

*edit*Note the date.

KickerConspiracy
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM

THIS!

How epic would that be? Reminds me of those concert posters you'd see from the Electric Circus in the 80's with the Fall, Joy Division and Echo & The Bunnymen on the same bill.

psycobetabuckdown
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
That would've been awesome. I was a baby though...

obzen
04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
why hasnt Dani knocked this one?

HandBanana
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
31flavorsofretarded

JebusLives
04-04-2009, 07:43 PM
why hasnt Dani knocked this one?

Maybe the poor girl doesn't have to work saturday nights?

weeklymix
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
no, but i think she worked today, according to one of her posts in another thread.

also, i don't think she has to shoot anything down (or for that matter confirm it).

goodtobemike
04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
yes, this is true.

and

ringo will be playing with Paul.

done deals .

dunno bout Sat. I am guessing U2

seandlr
04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
yes, this is true.

and

done deals .

shut up

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
yes, this is true.

and

done deals .

hmmmm.....

hobomilitia
04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
its all BS.

momof5
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM

You mean when you were 55(back then) -or are you my age now? I have never seen any of the Beatles! So I will probably see Paul at Coachella.

Alchemy
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm gonna' see Morrissey after his Houston performance in El Paso (and again at Coachella, no doubt). I don't expect to see Johnny Marr with him, except I saw Johnny Marr play in the same venue with Modest Mouse, and that's as close as I will get to seeing Morrissey and Johnny Marr playing together probably.

psycobetabuckdown
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
You mean when you were 55(back then) -or are you my age now? I have never seen any of the Beatles! So I will probably see Paul at Coachella.

No, I'm saying that's what I'll be able to say to my kids/grandkids if this rumor is true.

LooseAtTheZoo
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Marr would be a present surprise, but I'll be at Morrissey anyway so it doesn't matter much to me.

momof5
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
No, I'm saying that's what I'll be able to say to my kids/grandkids if this rumor is true.

I know--and just think what other bands that may still be around in 20-30 years that you will be able to say"I saw them at Coachella!" My kids and I share these moments now.

psycobetabuckdown
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Truth. Although I'm gonna slap myself when it turns out that Airborne Toxic Event becomes the Biggest Band Ever and I was too good to watch their 30 minute set.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
for the record I think this is going to happen....

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
You also thought U2 was coming

obzen
04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
i think this is going to happen-and i thought Faith No More was going to be added:thu

bobert
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Trent - you piece of shit - you're back!! Care to comment on the rumors that Morrissey lip sings?

trentmorrison
04-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Trent - you piece of shit - you're back!! Care to comment on the rumors that Morrissey lip sings?

First of all, I was correct last year. Roger Waters did LIP SYNCH during that beirut and that fletcher memorial home songs, and i would appreciate it if you say i was right and apologize.

and on a side note, roger waters was one of the greatest concerts i have ever been too.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-07-2009, 06:38 AM
You also thought U2 was coming

who said they didn't try?

also...this guy has been right before

yes, this is true.

and

done deals .

JebusLives
04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Oh my god you guys, it was an april fool's joke. You're so bloody gullible.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
click on goodtobemike's post and check his posting history....

Boourns
04-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah, he said Radiohead and Coldplay were signed.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
and he then said they fell out...which would explain what happened with the line up being postponed...and why they got The Killers and The Cure to headline at the last minute...but he called Paul before alot of folks here and Winehouse and The Killers to play Saturday...

I want to be clear I am not expecting anything...especially so close to the festival...but I won't be surprised either if it happens...

PierogiHead
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I want to be clear I am not expecting anything...especially so close to the festival...but I won't be surprised either if it happens...

The biggest surprise for some people this year is that there haven't been any surprises at all considering the lukewarm reception to the headliners.

I guess they're content eating some cash this year with ticket sales being down and all. Oh well. Blame it on the eh-eh-eh-economy...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't believe ticket sales are as bad as your source is making them out to be...for one the layaway tickets aren't counted in the ticketmaster count...and if it is anything like Stagecoach where 25% of ticket sales are layaway then its probably the same count as last year...Paul T already stated he expect attendence to be between 50 and 60k. Not bad...but not enough for them to take chances with surprises...which leads me to believe if there are any they won't annouce them until the day of (if they is any).

also, the lukewarm reception for the headlienrs hasn't really been to McCartney but to The Cure and The Killers...

PierogiHead
04-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Next year, it's going to be evident to me whether Paul is losing his grip on booking or not. I fear that the need to make Coachella the most unique and groundbreaking festival is starting to work against it as it runs out of stronger, newer headliners and subheadliners that people haven't seen already. Friday and Saturday are hurting for me, and I might not be able to see those days' anticipated acts due to conflicts.

Lollapalooza is probably going to have a beast of a lineup from top to bottom once it gets announced.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
actually, this year was going to be tough from the start...given the economy and who was touring and available. Next year shouldn't be too much of an issue. Especially with Daft Punk supposely starting their tour...plus new albums by: Arcade Fire, Muse, Interpol, etc.

summerkid
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
they'll still make money. If attendance is between 50-60 k they'll make money. I wouldn't worry guys.

obzen
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Next year, it's going to be evident to me whether Paul is losing his grip on booking or not. I fear that the need to make Coachella the most unique and groundbreaking festival is starting to work against it as it runs out of stronger, newer headliners and subheadliners that people haven't seen already. Friday and Saturday are hurting for me, and I might not be able to see those days' anticipated acts due to conflicts.

Lollapalooza is probably going to have a beast of a lineup from top to bottom once it gets announced.

the law of diminishing returns

psycobetabuckdown
04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
and he then said they fell out...which would explain what happened with the line up being postponed...and why they got The Killers and The Cure to headline at the last minute...but he called Paul before alot of folks here and Winehouse and The Killers to play Saturday...

The idea of the festival headliners going Coldplay-Radiohead-McCartney makes me sad.

But then, I've never seen The Cure while I have seen Radiohead. I'd rather see Coldplay than the Killers, but it evens out.

Boourns
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Fucking Radiohead. I really need a show from them after missing this year's tour.