PDA

View Full Version : Washington, D.C.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Has anyone lived here? Been here? Spent a reasonable amount of time in the area to talk about it? please discuss...

betao
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
what all do you want to know?

its a very busy area, has a ton of traffic issues, especially in the northern VA metro area, but the inner city is pretty nice. alot for a tourist to see and do there, and they get a fair amount of good music.

bmack86
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a friend who lives up the street from the Watergate. She says that, despite the fact the city is vocal about its liberal makeup, it's nevertheless fairly conservative in practice. When I was there last, we went to some of the younger parts of the city and hit up the bars; it was fun, but there wasn't a unique feel like I've gotten in San Francisco, LA, NY, Chicago and other big cities. but the monuments are pretty cool to visit and the Smithsonian is well worth your time.

bmack86
03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
And for concerts, check out the Black Cat or the 9:30 Club. And, because i forgot to do it, you should totally visit the Dischord House, where Ian MacKaye used to live and where they still run the label. You can find the address online or in the sleeve of any of their records.

thestripe
03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Words of wisdom, Bryan. You could spend a week at the mall and still not see everything. 9:30 club and Black Cat get all the names. Georgetown is a good place to get away, shop or get a bite to eat.

JustSteve
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM

its a very busy area, has a ton of traffic issues, especially in the northern VA metro area, but the inner city is pretty nice. alot for a tourist to see and do there, and they get a fair amount of good music.

ah, the joys of driving on the beltway during rush hour.

JustSteve
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
gotta go to arlington cemetary.

i love being back there in d.c. in march, when the cherry blossom's are in full bloom.

i have been there so many times that we try to find something new to do each time now. last time we checked out the spy museum, that was fun. then we just walked right into ford theatre through the front door, not realizing we just cut right in front of everyone since the actual entrance was further down.

my uncle ran a car dealership right down by the pentagon. we were trying to find our way their after arriving a few years ago, but made a wrong turn and ended up heading to a secure gate at the pentagon with a very stern looking man holding his finger near the trigger of his sub-machine gun. i politely asked for directions and got the fuck out of there.

Alchemy
03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I've been to D.C. a couple times, and I did not like it. The traffic is horrible. The Smithsonian is overcrowded. The grass around the memorials is dead... Poop. If you have to vacation somewhere or live somewhere, trying hitting the other metropoli like NYC and San Francisco first.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-29-2009, 04:03 PM

how far do you live from DC?

bartelby
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
i am actually there (here?) right now

checked out the Mall today and it was great....looking forward to hitting some museums tomorrow

betao
03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
how far do you live from DC?

I live in Richmond, which is about 90 mins to 2 hrs away depending on traffic.

and as previously mentioned, the 9:30 Club and Black Cat are both excellent venues in the DC area. Just saw Primal Scream at 9:30 this past Friday.

BKsaysAction!
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I used to live in Bethesda which is decent little city outside of DC. Personally i Loved DC, Loved the climate, loved all the history, and has a decent music scene to boot. Plus you can hit up the metro or subway practicly anywhere.