PDA

View Full Version : Explosions in the Sky vs The Album Leaf

elChurro
02-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Are little too no lyrics a new trend in the indie rock world? Does anyone else find this lacking even if the music sounds great? Should this be a sub-genre of New Age music ala Sigur-ros? and are they too blame?

vinylmartyr
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Its called post rock

Tylerdurden31
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM
you can blame classical music for the no lyrics thing. I think it speaks volumes if you can move people with music sans lyrics.

longbeach90803
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Are little too no lyrics a new trend in the indie rock world? Does anyone else find this lacking even if the music sounds great? Should this be a sub-genre of New Age music ala Sigur-ros? and are they too blame?

to blame for what? i like explosions. this kind of music has been around since the 70's but back then it was called "jamming"

elChurro
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Just curious how this all came about, you know, ask question get answer... This is deffinetly not jamming though, that would mean it was all improvised.

Tylerdurden31
02-14-2007, 09:23 AM
just curious how this all came about. ask question, get answer.

Slint and My Bloody Valentine I'd say. Slint had very little vocals and any lyrics My Bloody Valentine used were basically so low in the mix and processed with effects that they turned into more of another instrument.

msklvr
02-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Interesting thread. Music without words has been around FOREVER! In the origins of music in India, there were mostly percussive instruments. Chants and melody lines with percussion was when "vocals" were introduced into music. So I don't really think it's a sub-genre of anything. I think it's just music in a purer form. Maybe as it should be? Who knows! But I appreciate great bands like Explosions in the Sky this year and Sigur Ros and Mogwai last year, that use music more than words to get their feelings across. Another great band to check out in this genre of "Post Rock" would be Bardo Pond.

Natelevmofuggaz
02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
It's all about the music, man.

A((wake))
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
The band I play in (post metal, but close enough) is instrumental and vocaless. I personally like it as a musician, but many many people have also informed me that they dig it as well becuase there isn't some terrible vocalist who can't sing, screaming over the music. And trust me, there are plenty of horrendous vocalists who would be better off not saying anything.

I personally think being a vocal-less band lets the instruments do more of the speaking and you have alot more room for atomsphere, etc. in a song. Explosions in the Sky is a perfect example. Their music still has a ton of energy and emotion in it without vocals.

vinylmartyr
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm gonna be the 1st post rapper.

elChurro
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
speaking of post-rap, is trip-hop what post-rock is to rock?

...ack! this is confusing. :P

Danica
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
The Album Leaf please.

DeltaSigChi4
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Who's to blame for this shitty thread in the wrong subforum?

E

uniform72
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Should this be a sub-genre of New Age music ala Sigur-ros?

You owe Sigur Ros and nearly everyone that goes to Coachella an apology for this.

elChurro
02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
You owe Sigur Ros and nearly everyone that goes to Coachella an apology for this.

It's true, music has been without lyrics for ages but never did it sound like what most bands play these days (simple chords) and now without lyrics. Instrumental music in the past was complex (see: classical music) and with kick ass solos (see: classic rock and or jazz)... but this new stuff is mellow and almost bordering ambient in some cases (the only reason I mentioned New Age).

Still it all sounds good, just wondered where it all came from and how some of this can even be considered rock.

...but yea, sigur ros... bleh.

Tylerdurden31
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM

dude...whether you like it or not, Sigur Ros, is pretty much New Age...not in the way that Yanni is...but they're still New Age

uniform72
02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I flat out disagree with any notion that Sigur Ros can draw any comparison whatsover to New Age. Apparently when you're not a fan of their music then that's what it sounds like to you. Oh well... I will continue to get goosebumps every time I listen to them.

woogie846
02-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Explosions in the Sky wins.

Tylerdurden31
02-16-2007, 06:13 AM
I flat out disagree with any notion that Sigur Ros can draw any comparison whatsover to New Age. Apparently when you're not a fan of their music then that's what it sounds like to you. Oh well... I will continue to get goosebumps every time I listen to them.

I'm a HUGE Sigur Ros fan...I still think it's basically New Age. Again, not like Yanni or whatever other shit there is out there like that...but it's still New Age to me.