PDA

View Full Version : DEFTONES

mikediamond
02-14-2007, 06:56 AM
would anyone else love to see the deftones play something like coachella? I think they deserve to play something respectable like coachella, but they usually tour with some lame bands.

brightscreamer
02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
I second. Great band, awesome live.

vinylmartyr
02-14-2007, 07:05 AM
doubtful

arlyn
02-14-2007, 07:22 AM
How is this a rumor?

mburbey
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about this just last night. I would love to see Deftones at Coachella. Or even Chino's Team Sleep. Either would be great. I think the Deftones would have gotten people way more psyched about the Saturday headliner than Red Hot Chili Peppers.

James
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Team Sleep would be awesome, Deftones aren't really a Coachella band though. Plus they tour constantly.

Mr.Nipples
02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
the deftones are the only band from high school that i still listen to and they are still one of my favs but everytime ive seen them live they SUCKED!

eXcivory
02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I was thinking about this just last night. I would love to see Deftones at Coachella. Or even Chino's Team Sleep. Either would be great. I think the Deftones would have gotten people way more psyched about the Saturday headliner than Red Hot Chili Peppers.

are you high? RHCP has sold 100 times as many albums as the deftones.
The deftones are one of my all-time favorite bands, but they'll never be popular enough to headline an event like this.

suprefan
02-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Give us a lot of reasons why people would pick the Deftones over RHCP? I think if that was the choice people would stick with RHCP just because.. And I do like the Deftones a lot but if they were even going to be at coachella, that time has passed. Coachella 2001 wouldve been their only chance because White Pony was such an awesome record and they had a strong following at that point so it wouldve been a good draw..

Jarvis_83
02-15-2007, 03:23 AM
I agree, they are an awesome band. I've seen them live twice and I was not impressed at all for both shows.

vinylmartyr
02-15-2007, 03:41 AM
I saw them in 1996 and they pretty much ruled face.

Mo'rage
02-15-2007, 06:12 AM
saw em right after 9/11. ozzy had to cancel because of it and deftones filled in. first i was pissed ozzy missed, then i was happy he did. would love to see deftones again.

Glamour Damaged
02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Saw Team Sleep perform at Coachella 2005 at the URB Magazine Coachella Afterparty. Was pretty awesome....

leo01g
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
i saw them at the Taste of Chaos tour headlining, they kicked ass at that show!

|\| | |/|
02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Deftones are a band that I tihnk most people wouldn't concider a Coachella band, but I'd beg to differ. Chino Moreno's lyrics can be just as Dada as people like Animal Collective and their past three albums have been rich with subtle complexities. 'tones at coachella is no weirder or "innapropriate" as NIN or Fantomas. I'd love to see Deftones in the Desert, and like many others, I'd be up for Team Sleep too.

|\| | |/|
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
the deftones are the only band from high school that i still listen to and they are still one of my favs but everytime ive seen them live they SUCKED!

They're very inconsistant live. The quality of their show is a direct result of how many drugs and how much alcohol they intake before a show lol. I've seen em twice; first time was just ohkay and the second time was incredible.

suprefan
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Read my above post. And Team Sleep would be a better fit, maybe next year...

|\| | |/|
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Give us a lot of reasons why people would pick the Deftones over RHCP? I think if that was the choice people would stick with RHCP just because.. And I do like the Deftones a lot but if they were even going to be at coachella, that time has passed. Coachella 2001 wouldve been their only chance because White Pony was such an awesome record and they had a strong following at that point so it wouldve been a good draw..

Concur. While I personally like Deftones much more than RHCP, they're not anywhere near their leauge of popularity.

|\| | |/|
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Saw Team Sleep perform at Coachella 2005 at the URB Magazine Coachella Afterparty. Was pretty awesome....

They preformed?? I'm pretty sure they just were there to sign autographs. I guess I could be wrong, but unless you saw them and are 100% they played, I'm pretty sure they didn't. If they did I'm going to kick myself in the ass because I missed them!!

Ihateoprah
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM

I disagree..ive seen deftones 3 times and everytime they blow my mind...ive seen them in a small venue in nottingham england and a huge fest in vancouver canada and they sounded spot on...would much rather see deftones a 4th time than the overated Chili Peppers, unless they were strickly gonna play Mothers Milk and BSSM...all there new stuff is too commercial for me...

suprefan
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
...all there new stuff is too commercial for me...

Why do you think they won 4 grammys over the weekend?

Natelevmofuggaz
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Team Sleep would fit Coachella better, but the Deftones are awesome.

ImAroundTheFur
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
check out the name :)

<------

i've seen deftones more times than i can count and ive seen team sleep about 5 or 6 times (including their show at the urb afterparty during coachella 05).

i have always thought it would be nice for them to play coachella, but its a situation that could easily go one way or another. they always play tons of european festivals; although, the lineups usually consist of metal acts. however, their style does fit with the coachella vibe. i doubt it will ever happen, though, as it seems that their careers are winding down. poor marketing and label support have really stinted any more growth from the band.

plus, as everyone notes, their live shows are hit or miss. i've seen some shitfests and i've seen some of the best concerts in my life. over the past few years they have been relying heavily on adrenaline songs for their setlists, which is a real shame. the majority of their fans are meatheads who do not appreciate the subtleties of deftones' music, so they usually just play their older, heavier stuff.

|\| | |/|
02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I also realized. If Coachella can take Thrice, they definitely can take Deftones.

Glamour Damaged
02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
They preformed?? I'm pretty sure they just were there to sign autographs. I guess I could be wrong, but unless you saw them and are 100% they played, I'm pretty sure they didn't. If they did I'm going to kick myself in the ass because I missed them!!

Yes they performed. I was on their guest list to get into the URB afterparty. I watched them perfom upclose and personal. Something Ill never forget. I have plenty of pictures and some short videos of their performance...

|\| | |/|
02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes they performed. I was on their guest list to get into the URB afterparty. I watched them perfom upclose and personal. Something Ill never forget. I have plenty of pictures and some short videos of their performance...

Wow that's really cool. I missed out, fahk!!

Brenbren
02-16-2007, 11:36 AM
i adore this band, but they are not so great live.

RockStr4Life
02-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Team Sleep should play earlier in the day and Deftones should headline

arie117
02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I got kicked out of the deftones concert in ventura. that sucked!

superfiction
02-20-2007, 11:00 AM
every time i see the deftones they slay. i dont know what these kids are talking about who said theyve sucked. ive seen em 4 times and ive yet to be let down. team sleep was ok, i saw em here in seattle, nothign special. but the deftones (someday) will be a great band to have on the line up

gutsy
02-27-2007, 03:48 AM
I saw them here in Sydney 2 nights ago - they played tons of old stuff, and while the sound was massive, it could have done with some more volume. Abe was (as always) pounding the skins.
It was a festival, and I think they played a couple too many slower / ambient tunes that should be reserved for their own shows at a club, but everyone was into it. They were right after Suicidal Tendencies, so people were pumped.
Just thought I would join in.
Cheers - see you in Indio

Amdammer
02-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Dude, I totally agree with you. The Deftones would make that show.

New_Paradigm
02-28-2007, 01:33 AM
I haven't really listened to the Deftones in about 5 years but I could definitely see them playing and fitting in rather well with the Coachella crowd. Like someone mentioned before, if Thrice can play I'm pretty sure the Deftones would do just fine...

MrSheen
02-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Look at the video for Minerva...deftones would rule in the desert. plus, when there's bands like Thrice, coheed, Circa Survive etc...Deftones would totally fit in...anyway, i thought the vibe for coachella was no genres, just music that's good. seems interpol have slipped through the net though :)

i.b.poe
03-07-2007, 11:06 PM

seen them 3 times. love their cd's but the live shows were awful. still, i'd like to see them again

ediger
03-08-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm not a huge fan, but I snagged some freebie tickets to see the last year and was blown away. They put on a really good show

*ratm*
03-09-2007, 04:06 AM
i have seen them twice and have listened to them since high school and they have always been awesome live. Team sleep i think would better fit the coachella environment and general type of music that is played.

RockStr4Life
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Aw man...I was at the Ventura show...it was amazing!

suprefan
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

So what did you do to get kicked out? It was a good show I was on the first tier overlooking the front pit, nice view and no worries of gettign smushed.

And to anyone who hasnt read my postts in this thread, read them regarding as to why they wont be on Coachella this year and cant anymore at this point in their careers.

x420timex
03-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Still hoping for them to be a late addition......1st confirmed US tour date that I've found is 5-11 in Phoenix....

suprefan
03-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Still hoping for them to be a late addition......1st confirmed US tour date that I've found is 5-11 in Phoenix....

ITS NOT HAPPENING, GET OVER IT.............. Read other posts of the argument regarding this.. Be happy you have Rage alright?

arie117
03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Aw man...I was at the Ventura show...it was amazing!

damnit!!!

superfiction
03-16-2007, 04:56 PM
im friends with them. its not happening. they will not be there. end of story.

arie117
03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
nice

suprefan
03-16-2007, 05:56 PM
im friends with them. its not happening. they will not be there. end of story.

Kind of already knew that for a while, thank you for enlightening us though...... Tell Chino to finish the next Team Sleep record though alright? Kthxbye

RockStr4Life
03-17-2007, 12:25 AM
damnit!!!

haha why damnit?

RockStr4Life
03-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Kind of already knew that for a while, thank you for enlightening us though...... Tell Chino to finish the next Team Sleep record though alright? Kthxbye

It took them 3 years to make the last Team Sleep album apparently, so it might be a while.