PDA

View Full Version : Stone Roses ARE playing Coachella 2009

weezer_blue_album
03-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I have heard that the Stone Roses WILL be playing at Coachella 2009, and that they have been in rehearsals for several weeks.

A 21 date tour has also been pencilled in, but I do not know the specifics.

Greetings from England.

CellarOwl
03-17-2009, 03:02 AM
THE Stone Roses - Madchester's finest export - are reforming for a summer tour.

The Manchester Indie heroes planned to announce their tour in mid-May - to coincide with the 20th anniversary of their self-titled debut album.

But the reunion news was leaked yesterday.

So far 21 UK dates are set - but sources say this could rise.

The band - famous for their war cry of Mad For It and anthemic hits I Am The Resurrection and She Bangs The Drums - are also in talks to play a US date, thought to be Coachella Festival.

Singer Ian Brown - who has forged a successful solo career since their split - had been the only member of the line-up stonewalling the reunion.

But he has finally been persuaded by guitarists John Squire, Mani and drummer Reni to reunite for the series of high-profile dates. The gigs will coincide with the anniversary re-release of The Stone Roses album.

An insider said: "It's taken a lot of time and effort to get Ian to agree, but he's really up for it.

"He was the sticking point throughout the proceedings, but he's finally relented and signed on the dotted line.

"There's been a lot of speculation in the past, but this is the real deal.

"The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.

"But Ian has forged a really successful solo career and wasn't very receptive to their plans.

"It's taken a while, but he's finally come around to the notion."

Bassist Mani had previously hinted of a reunion.

Speaking in December, he said: "Me, John and Reni are up for doing it and Ian just needs working on. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the first album. It's the ideal time to do it.

"It's something I would love to do before we are all fat and bald."

The Stone Roses album came out on March 13, 1989, and is consistently voted one of the best albums of all time.

But their success was relatively short-lived.

Drummer Reni quit in 1995, then, the next year, guitarist Squire - who painted the album's iconic cover - left as tensions increased between him and Ian.

The pair are rumoured to have not spoken since.

Mani currently plays bass for Primal Scream, whom he joined in 1996.

'It has taken a lot of time and effort to get Ian to agree, but he's really up for it now'

Source. (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/music/music-news/2009/03/17/the-stone-roses-to-reform-for-summer-tour-86908-21204229/)

DFrank
03-17-2009, 03:48 AM
So this is the Saturday add to replace the winehouse?..

tigermilkboy
03-17-2009, 03:56 AM
However summer tour and festival claims seem to clash with group's plans

Mar 17, 2009
0 Comments
The Stone Roses news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add The Stone Roses to MyNME
Reports are claiming this morning (March 17) that the The Stone Roses are planning to reform later this year.

The Mirror is claiming that the original members of the Manchester band will reunite for 21 UK gigs this summer.

According to the paper a "source" claimed that: "it's taken a lot of time to get [frontman] Ian [Brown] to agree but he's finally signed on the dotted line. The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table."

It also suggests that the band may play the Coachella Festival, although the group are not listed in the line-up for this year's event, which kicks off in 31 days time (April 17-19).

2009 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of band's debut album 'The Stone Roses', which was released in May 1989.

Although rumours of a reunion have circulated for a while, it was believed Ian Brown would complete and release the solo album he is currently working on before any alternative project could be considered.

The timing of a summer tour would also prove problematic, with guitarist John Squire staging a major art exhibition this summer.

The show, Squire's biggest to date, kicks off in July 5 at the Gallery Oldham and in January the guitarist told NME.COM he would be concentrating on his art career this year.

"I've got a big show in Oldham and one in Austria and one at the end of the year in Tokyo," he said. "The Oldham show is in a major public gallery so it's a lot of work. It's the biggest show I've done."

Squire added that he didn't play guitar much these days as he was concentrating on art more.
http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/43494

Before we get too carried away. The Mirror is a well known tabloid that some say 'they wouldn't believe the date if it was in The Mirror'.
The NME article makes it clear there are many 'if's and buts'. Including the quote that John Squire doesn't pick up the guitar much these days.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Fuck you, "weezer_blue_album", and your one-post shit-stirring.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 05:01 AM

I :pulse you.

Mr.Nipples
03-17-2009, 05:07 AM
However summer tour and festival claims seem to clash with group's plans

Mar 17, 2009
0 Comments
The Stone Roses news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add The Stone Roses to MyNME
Reports are claiming this morning (March 17) that the The Stone Roses are planning to reform later this year.

The Mirror is claiming that the original members of the Manchester band will reunite for 21 UK gigs this summer.

According to the paper a "source" claimed that: "it's taken a lot of time to get [frontman] Ian to agree but he's finally signed on the dotted line. The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table."

It also suggests that the band may play the Coachella Festival, although the group are not listed in the line-up for this year's event, which kicks off in 31 days time (April 17-19).

2009 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of band's debut album 'The Stone Roses', which was released in May 1989.

Although rumours of a reunion have circulated for a while, it was believed Ian Brown would complete and release the solo album he is currently working on before any alternative project could be considered.

The timing of a summer tour would also prove problematic, with guitarist John Squire staging a major art exhibition this summer.

The show, Squire's biggest to date, kicks off in July 5 at the Gallery Oldham and in January the guitarist told NME.COM he would be concentrating on his art career this year.

"I've got a big show in Oldham and one in Austria and one at the end of the year in Tokyo," he said. "The Oldham show is in a major public gallery so it's a lot of work. It's the biggest show I've done."

[B]Squire added that he didn't play guitar much these days as he was concentrating on art more.
http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/43494

Before we get too carried away. The Mirror is a well known tabloid that some say 'they wouldn't believe the date if it was in The Mirror'.
The NME article makes it clear there are many 'if's and buts'. Including the quote that John Squire doesn't pick up the guitar much these days.

oh how this is bullshit

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 05:17 AM
this could be the biggest Coachella disaster ever.

M Sparks
03-17-2009, 06:49 AM

Well, I would trust a guy named "weezer blue album" over a guy named "weezer green album"

JebusLives
03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
this could be the biggest Coachella disaster ever.

... third, after fellow manchester alumnus The Happy Mondays' and New Order's respective debacles.

I'll still be watching though. Stone Fucking Roses!

chiapet
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Geezus. When I read that article, I actually started crying. Even though I'm sure they are a disaster live. I really hope they do come to the US, because I don't want to go to the UK to see a band I know will be terrible. But I might have to.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 08:27 AM
why waste the time and money is the band is going to be shit live I wonder? I am on the fence until the name is on the poster and I actually see the band. This is another huge gamble to add on Saturday.

chiapet
03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
because if they weren't shit, it would be a legendary show. they're one of of my favorite band of all time and are on my all time 'top 10 bands i want to see'..... (mostly because i never thought I'd have a chance).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I am nervous about the odds of it being a crap show. I have seen reunion bands that blew up in my face and I couldn't listen to the music afterwards. Television is a perfect example.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
This is a bad idea. Goldenvoice, if you do this, what are you thinking? You got burned with Winehouse, why get burned again? They could very well implode again before the festival and then you'll get stuck with nobody as a subheadliner (again.)

To top that off, did we relocate this festival to England or something? Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, the Chemical Brothers, MBV, The Cure and even the US/Canada's own Killers and Leonard Cohen are probably a bit more popular in the UK than here -- and are all at the top of the poster. C'mon, there has GOT to be some decently big American acts you can get to, you know -- DIVERSIFY THE TOP TIER OF THE FESTIVAL.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
MBV are from Ireland. Franz is from Scotland.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I know, but it's not like they're not footsteps away from each other. Besides, they all made their mark in the UK scene first and when MBV reunited last summer, all their shows were at the Roundhouse in the UK to begin with. They're UK bands by default. The Killers are more UK than US in my opinion too with their synthy UK new wave sound.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
so what you're saying is: Kraft Punk?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Jesus. MTV UK are confirming the damn thing

http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/the-stone-roses/news/104783-the-stone-roses-to-reform-for-a-summer-tour

The Stone Roses To Reform?
Reports say Ian Brown signs up to Roses 20-year anniversary gigs
13:05, Tuesday, 17 March 2009
Ian Brown has finally signed up to The Stone Roses reunion and is set to play 21 UK shows with the original members to mark the 20-year anniversary of their self-titled debut album, The Daily Mirror reports.

A source said: 'The rest of the band were up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table - It's taken a lot of time to get Ian to agree but he's finally signed on the dotted line'.

In 1996, guitarist John Squire quit the group and he and Ian have not spoken to each other until now.

With years of animosity behind them all four members, including drummer Alan 'Reni' Wren and Primal Scream bassist Gary 'Mani' Mountfield, are set to play 21 UK shows and California's Coachella music festival.

Last summer Mani spoke of a possible reunion: 'Me, John and Reni are up for doing it and Ian just needs some working on. It's something I would love to do before we are all fat and bald.'

sbessiso
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Fuck.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
nope.

yep. that was quick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1162675/The-Stone-Roses-WONT-reform-summer-tour-13-years-split.html

The Stone Roses WON'T reform for summer tour 13 years after their split

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:38 PM on 17th March 2009
Comments (7)
Add to My Stories

Reports that Ian Brown is to rejoin his former group The Stone Roses for a summer tour have been denied by the singer's publicist today.

It was claimed that the band would be reuniting after convincing lead singer Brown to return.

However a spokesperson for the 46-year-old said today, 'We know nothing about a reunion. Ian is working on his new studio album which is due out later this year.'

Summer tour: Manchester band The Stone Roses won't be reforming this year

A national newspaper had reported that the band were lined up to play 21 UK gigs and there was even talk of a US date, with the Coachella Festival in California a possibility.

The Mirror said the tour would coincide with the release of a remastered 20th anniversary edition of the band's debut album The Stone Roses in June.

No change of heart: Lead singer Ian Brown pictured at the Q awards two years ago

Brown, who went on to have a successful solo career after the group split in 1996, was said to have been originally unsure about reuniting with his former bandmates but the paper reported he had been persuaded by drummer Alan 'Reni' Wren, bassist Gary 'Mani' Mounfield and guitarist John Squire.

‘It's taken a lot of time and effort to get Ian to agree, but he's finally signed on the dotted line.

'The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table,' a source is quoted as telling The Mirror.

However, it seems that Brown is as certain now as ever that the band won't reform. Last summer Brown told journalists that there was 'no chance ... not in the next three lifetimes' of his former band reuniting, leaving many sceptical of the alleged reunion.

The Stone Roses first album, which was released in 1989, has been voted one of the best of all time.

However the group split just seven years later after Squire, who designed the album's iconic cover, quit amid rows with Brown.

The pair are rumoured never to have spoken since.

Reni left the year before and Mani now plays bass for Primal Scream.

The Stone Roses were at the centre of the ‘Madchester’ phenomenon in the late 1980s and early 1990s when Manchester was the focus for a lot of the new musical talent hitting the UK indie music scene

Well that was fun.

blackchango
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM
<="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQUxCQxu9og&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQUxCQxu9og&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujl64hXK0eo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ujl64hXK0eo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck yeah !

sk8r408
03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Not Happening.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/43506

CellarOwl
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
This is a bad idea. Goldenvoice, if you do this, what are you thinking? You got burned with Winehouse, why get burned again? They could very well implode again before the festival and then you'll get stuck with nobody as a subheadliner (again.)

To top that off, did we relocate this festival to England or something? Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, the Chemical Brothers, MBV, The Cure and even the US/Canada's own Killers and Leonard Cohen are probably a bit more popular in the UK than here -- and are all at the top of the poster. C'mon, there has GOT to be some decently big American acts you can get to, you know -- DIVERSIFY THE TOP TIER OF THE FESTIVAL.

Limp Bizkit were approached for Coachella but declined after a schedule conflict, having already booked their heads up their collective ass.

Cdubby
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
fred durst can surf a piece of plywood up my ass

blackchango
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Limp Bizkit were approached for Coachella but declined after a schedule conflict, having already booked their heads up their collective ass.
hahahaha!

CrimesceneCookie
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Lamest and most useless rant ever.

n3glect
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, the Roses could be epic, or shite.

A lot of it has to do if Ian's sober. If he is, he can fookin' bring it.

If he isn't... all bets are off.

My guess is he would probably step up to the plate for a Coachella appearance.

However, if it was part of a full tour, he'd probably jump off the wagon a couple dates in..

If Coachella happens (and I believe the reports that say it won't), it could be a show that rivals Blackpool.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
So it's not happening? Ok good, we lucked out here. Close one...

chiapet
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I am stubbornly holding out hope that Ian is denying the thing FOR NOW until there are more details. Want to believe. :/

thestripe
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
So it's not happening? Ok good, we lucked out here. Close one...

Dumb.

This would have been amazing. Well.....as long as Ian doesn't sound like William Hung. I hope the publisist shooting it down was a standard answer.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Dumb.

This would have been amazing. Well.....as long as Ian doesn't sound like William Hung. I hope the publisist shooting it down my mom's face was a standard answer.

MantisMel
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Im hoping that it will be like what happened last year with Prince, where him and his people denied a Coachella performance up until the last minute in April. Oh how amazing it would be.

lostsoul86
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
fred durst can surf a piece of plywood up my ass

ewwww lol

oh btw never heard of stone roses

Grant
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Im hoping that it will be like what happened last year with Prince, where him and his people denied a Coachella performance up until the last minute in April. Oh how amazing it would be.

I thought the case was Goldenvoice denying it. Prince nor his publicists never denied it, did they?

Devin the Dude
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
is this thread serious? that band sucks. real bad.

Mr.Nipples
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
john squire supposedly purchased a whole line of effects off a UK boutique pedal/amplification company very recently. he bought 2 to 3 of everything, which you really only do unless you need backups for touring...

Mr.Nipples
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
is this thread serious? that band sucks. real bad.

go mainline rock hudsons cryogenically treated jizz

devin the dude sucks dick by the way

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
john squire supposedly purchased a whole line of effects off a UK boutique pedal/amplification company very recently. he bought 2 to 3 of everything, which you really only do unless you need backups for touring...

Fuck you Mr. Nipples! This is the one I'm waiting FOR!!!!

boardboy
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Officially Denied:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1162675/The-Stone-Roses-WONT-reform-summer-tour-13-years-split.html

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
a little late tips I posted that 3 times already.

Grant
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Dani, plz confirm or debunk. thx

sonofhal
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I know, but it's not like they're not footsteps away from each other. Besides, they all made their mark in the UK scene first and when MBV reunited last summer, all their shows were at the Roundhouse in the UK to begin with. They're UK bands by default. The Killers are more UK than US in my opinion too with their synthy UK new wave sound.

So, any band who does their first reunion show in the UK becomes a UK band by default? Someone tell the Jesus Lizard.

brando4n82
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I have heard that the Stone Roses WILL be playing at Coachella 2009, and that they have been in rehearsals for several weeks.

A 21 date tour has also been pencilled in, but I do not know the specifics.

Greetings from England.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i-8EyeSdYeI/SRM3_oorQRI/AAAAAAAAAY8/8sfEidb6eTI/s400/meh_cat.jpg

neverclever
03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
MANI WAS AWESOME LAST NIGHT (Primal Scream played last night...)

I guess i should have yelled at him or something. AW.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 03:40 PM
the sheer fact that Mani has been playing with Primal Scream should've debunked this. If they are reuniting this year, it isn't going to be coachella.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
THEY BROKE UP BECAUSE THEIR 2 ALBUMS SUCKED

psychic friend
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Doesnt it say on the daily swarm that ian said it was false?

Mr.Nipples
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
THEY BROKE UP BECAUSE THEIR 2 ALBUMS SUCKED
DAVE WANG IS A ******, AND SO ARE YOU!

malcolmjamalawesome
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
That's just ugly.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
So, any band who does their first reunion show in the UK becomes a UK band by default? Someone tell the Jesus Lizard.

Nope. What I wrote meant that MBV, Franz and whoever else I named are a stones throw away from the UK -- basically the hugest music market in that general area like the US is in North America -- and by default are UK market acts. If we want to generalize it more, let's just call it European.

Either way -- enough with adds from that continent, GV, unless it's Blur.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
EVERYONE IS BEING LOUD AND COLORFUL SO I THOUGHT I SHOULD TOO!!!!

Dede' Arneaux
03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I am stubbornly holding out hope that Ian is denying the thing FOR NOW until there are more details. Want to believe. :/

I think you may be correct

benhur
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
i would like this very much.

Xenocide
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM

I know, but it's not like they're not footsteps away from each other.

they are NOT footsteps away from each other... unless you possess the ability to walk on water... they're two entirely different islands ya know...

stop calling them that TeamCoach...

they're called Daftwerk and everyone knows it...

Limp Bizkit >> Amy Winehouse >> Stone Roses >> Jack Johnson >> Dave Wang

malcolmjamalawesome
03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Limp Bizkit >> Amy Winehouse >> Stone Roses >> Jack Johnson >> Dave Wang

How dare you?

It's not like we're talking about Boards of Canada here.

JewFace
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I would love to see them reunited, but I agree that it has 'potential disaster' written all over it. Denied for now, it seems.

What about a solo Ian Brown? I think he's made some lovely spacey rock on his own.

KgI1ovaYrl4
tN-2Lv9Dptc
rGG4bAXJzFs

chiapet
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
see, the problem is that ian brown is the train wreck part of the stone roses. so having him solo doesn't help the situation at all.

PierogiHead
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
they are NOT footsteps away from each other... unless you possess the ability to walk on water... they're two entirely different islands ya know...

I don't care if they're islands, I don't care if they're countries or whatever -- In fact, I don't even care that those places exist. They're near enough, end geography argument. If you're unhappy with that, go choke your cock out on a barbed wire fence.

JewFace
03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Well that doesn't sound very pleasant.

weeklymix
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
barbed wire?! oh noesssss

wstsidela
03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
THIS IS FUCKIN' AWESOME!!!!

Xenocide
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
How dare you?

It's not like we're talking about Boards of Canada here.

to be honest, i've NEVER heard Boards of Canada, but i'll take them any day over Dave Wang and any dave wang related products...

nbvwes
03-18-2009, 01:01 AM
WHO THE FUCK ARE THE STONE ROSES!!!
p.s. dave wang sux my balls!

say wha?

PC-2 Violence
03-18-2009, 01:35 AM

I love you.

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Remember how Prince was rumored only to be vehemently denied by all parties. Remember how that turned out? Just saying...

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
DAVE WANG IS A ******, AND SO ARE YOU!
But what if you like gays, Dave Wang & the music he stands for, and the Stone Roses? Can I get a kumbaya?

Gribbz
03-18-2009, 05:42 AM
No.