PDA

View Full Version : Stone Roses to reform

bcred
03-16-2009, 11:24 PM
IMHO some things are better left in the past....

Madchester's finest The Stone Roses are re-forming for a summer tour.

At least 21 gigs have been planned for the UK and there are talks of a US date – possibly the Coachella Festival in California. The gigs will coincide with the re-release of the band’s self-titled debut album.

Singer Ian Brown, who has a solo career, was the only one not sure about re-forming. But he was persuaded by guitarist John Squire, bassist Mani and drummer Reni. A source said: “It’s taken a lot of time to get Ian to agree but he’s finally signed on the dotted line.

“The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.” Squire, who designed the album’s iconic cover, quit in 1996 amid rows with Ian. The pair are rumoured never to have spoken since.

Reni left the year before and Mani plays bass for Primal Scream, who he joined in 1996.

Last year Mani said he would love to do a reunion “before we are all fat and bald”.

matsuolost
03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
ohhhh shittttttt

rage patton
03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Link.

bballarl
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
If this happens I will weep tears of overwhelming joy and fly to England to witness what could potentially be a trainwreck.

matsuolost
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/03/17/stone-roses-to-reform-madchester-legends-plan-summer-tour-exclusive-115875-21203802/

PassiveTheory
LINK DAMNIT.

summerkid
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/03/17/stone-roses-to-reform-madchester-legends-plan-summer-tour-exclusive-115875-21203802/

its from the mirror guys so probably not true.

bballarl
03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I saw Mani in person tonight. It was a sign.

PS If this happens I fucking called the 20 years later thing. If it doesn't happen, I never said anything about the Stone Roses ever reforming.

zenidogx
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
primal scream is free in april, according to their myspace.

JSam67
03-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I want to be more excited about this, but haven't I read that they're a pretty bad live band?

Sleepingrock
03-17-2009, 12:03 AM
k4bHMVAKDao

SEEDYMIG420
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I want to be more excited about this, but haven't I read that they're a pretty bad live band?

I was lucky enough to see The Stone Roses live, and they were awsome!!!!
I saw them at the Hollywood Paladium, I think it was 1995 or 96. I can't realy remember the year, but I do remember their performance. WoW!

cooperb1
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
man this would make coachella so worth it please let this happen

sonofhal
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
They were ok at best, shockingly bad at worst (live, that is). I'd advise listening to them on your mp3 player whilst at the gig for an overall less hope destroying experience.

Saying that, i'll still go on the off chance that Ian can now hold a note live.

CrimesceneCookie
03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Let's see how long this thread remains in the Lineup section...

obviously it goes without saying that this would put Saturday way way over the top...
(but I'll say it anyways...)

jazzz
03-17-2009, 01:21 AM
They were ok at best, shockingly bad at worst (live, that is). I'd advise listening to them on your mp3 player whilst at the gig for an overall less hope destroying experience.

not too many from Manchester (except Mark Burgess) can hold a note! but lets fucking have it!!

CrimesceneCookie
03-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Stone Roses (DJ Set)

lol

sorry couldn't resist

jazzz
03-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Stone Roses (DJ Set)

lol

sorry couldn't resist

with John Squire doing free watercolour in the corner while Ian does monki stance!

jamesc2929
03-17-2009, 03:45 AM
If this happens be glad you have your tickets already!!!!
The Stone Fuckin Roses!!!
This is what makes Coachella worth the travel from the East Coast Every year!

Boourns
03-17-2009, 03:50 AM
Oh they are totally hitting Coachella as part of their European reunion tour, just like Blur and Faith No More and The Specials.

sbessiso
03-17-2009, 04:02 AM
So is this what i'm gunna be rolling ballz to before the killers?

stuporfly
03-17-2009, 04:11 AM
I saw them two months after Reni left, and they were just alright. Robbie Maddix was a good drummer, but Reni was truly amazing.

I'd love to believe this was true, if not solely for the chance to see Reni and Mani play together. But I'm dubious. I'm expecting to see a terse "Fuck that shit" statement from King Monkey by the end of the day.

pash_87
03-17-2009, 04:28 AM
oh my goodness.
if they play at Coachella, i will never say anything bad about American's again.

wait,
not really.

but, fuck! Stone Roses! Ian Brown is awesome.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 04:59 AM

I have heard absolute horror stories of how bad Ian B is live. This won't happen for 2 reasons:
1. If they decided to try and reunite now, they really only have a month to try and get in shape for it. I doubt they really do.
2. I don't think GV wants a trainwreck of a performance in the same way the Happy Mondays were.

Maybe some Euro Shows but I think the time line has over for them to do Coachella.. No way in hell they will be ready in a month.

EDIT:
According to this lurker they have be rehearsing for weeks now.
I am still unsure simply because of Ian Brown.

I have heard that the Stone Roses WILL be playing at Coachella 2009, and that they have been in rehearsals for several weeks.

A 21 date tour has also been pencilled in, but I do not know the specifics.

Greetings from England.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 05:05 AM
If this happens I will weep tears of overwhelming joy and fly to England to witness what could potentially be a trainwreck.

Lulz

captncrzy
03-17-2009, 06:14 AM

why would you roll balls to the Killers? Save yo drugs, main

oasis4life2002
03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
If the Stone Roses reform this gives me reason to go to the main stage on Sat. Make it happen

sbessiso
03-17-2009, 07:18 AM
why would you roll balls to the Killers? Save yo drugs, main

Cap'n, why WOULDN'T I roll my face off for BFlow? It's going to be so magical

bcred
03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Sorry I posted that and then hit the sack,I know some United lads that know Mani,he's a season ticket holder...

As I said at the beginning, personally I think trying to create the past is a bad thing ..and they were never much good even back in the day (live that is) it was more the vibe of the day. I know quite a few that were at Spike Island and even those lads say that the music that day was poor it was the event that excelled.
But hey it would be fun to kick the Elephantstone.

sonnyboy11
03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I was lucky enough to see The Stone Roses live, and they were awsome!!!!
I saw them at the Hollywood Paladium, I think it was 1995 or 96. I can't realy remember the year, but I do remember their performance. WoW!

Dude, I was at this show and I honestly don't know how you have such a glowing memory of it. Ian Brown was horrible. He was so flat during 10 Story Love Song I could barely stand it. Squire played fine but overall the band were dragging and the little acoustic get together they did at center stage for a few songs did not work either.

But really- Ian was bad bad bad that night and the band mediocre. Manny was so pissed at the end of the show he slammed his bass down and walked off. And it wasn't an "I'm a rock star slamming my guitar on the ground!" it was "Fark this, I'm outta here!" move.

Note that the above is difficult for me to write. I love the first album so much. It's still in my rotation to this day. But live? No. And I recently saw a live performance from Brown's solo effort. He relies heavily on effects on his drug addled voice to keep things afloat.

donkey sex
03-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I saw Mani in person tonight. It was a sign.

Yeah, I did too. Yelled out his name a few times...mainly cus I couldn't see him as he was tucked in the corner. Fun show (sparse crowd though...people cant come out to support the genius of Primal Scream and Brian Jonestown Massacre? *scratches head*).

But this is very exciting news. Was only going to attend Friday, but if The Roses play another day I'll HAVE to come out. 'Waterfall', 'This is the One'...my God.

Also, I have seen Ian Brown live (Golden Greats tour in LA) and it was terrible. Tons of sound issues. But it's always been about the spirit...and Reni's drumming (where has he been all these years? someone said he had an H problem. dunno). And John is a badass axeman. Just seeing the original lineup together would be insane. Maybe Ian can lipsync his part (j/k...sort of).

C DUB YA
03-17-2009, 07:53 AM

Killers don't deserve to be on the same stage.

sbessiso
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
:rolleyes

Don't start

rage patton
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Oh they are totally hitting Coachella as part of their European reunion tour, just like Blur and Faith No More and The Specials.

Are you trying to make me cry?

Also, don't forget about The Pixies too. They are only touring Europe this year.

sonnyboy11
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes

Don't start

Down down, you bring me down. :(

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I hear you knocking at my door and I can't sleep at night.

sbessiso
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I've got Soul but i'm not a Soldier?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
no. goddamn bflo.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:17 AM
goddamnit. Now I am pissed. I decided to start listening to the Stone Roses album again and I forgot how fucking amazing some of these songs are. Goddamnit. I do and don't want this. GV better have a "No Train wreck" cause in that damn contract and not pay them until AFTER the show.

bballarl
03-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't get worked up about it. This probably won't happen.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
yep. that was quick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1162675/The-Stone-Roses-WONT-reform-summer-tour-13-years-split.html

The Stone Roses WON'T reform for summer tour 13 years after their split

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:38 PM on 17th March 2009
Comments (7)
Add to My Stories

Reports that Ian Brown is to rejoin his former group The Stone Roses for a summer tour have been denied by the singer's publicist today.

It was claimed that the band would be reuniting after convincing lead singer Brown to return.

However a spokesperson for the 46-year-old said today, 'We know nothing about a reunion. Ian is working on his new studio album which is due out later this year.'

Summer tour: Manchester band The Stone Roses won't be reforming this year

A national newspaper had reported that the band were lined up to play 21 UK gigs and there was even talk of a US date, with the Coachella Festival in California a possibility.

The Mirror said the tour would coincide with the release of a remastered 20th anniversary edition of the band's debut album The Stone Roses in June.

No change of heart: Lead singer Ian Brown pictured at the Q awards two years ago

Brown, who went on to have a successful solo career after the group split in 1996, was said to have been originally unsure about reuniting with his former bandmates but the paper reported he had been persuaded by drummer Alan 'Reni' Wren, bassist Gary 'Mani' Mounfield and guitarist John Squire.

‘It's taken a lot of time and effort to get Ian to agree, but he's finally signed on the dotted line.

'The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table,' a source is quoted as telling The Mirror.

However, it seems that Brown is as certain now as ever that the band won't reform. Last summer Brown told journalists that there was 'no chance ... not in the next three lifetimes' of his former band reuniting, leaving many sceptical of the alleged reunion.

The Stone Roses first album, which was released in 1989, has been voted one of the best of all time.

However the group split just seven years later after Squire, who designed the album's iconic cover, quit amid rows with Brown.

The pair are rumoured never to have spoken since.

Reni left the year before and Mani now plays bass for Primal Scream.

The Stone Roses were at the centre of the ‘Madchester’ phenomenon in the late 1980s and early 1990s when Manchester was the focus for a lot of the new musical talent hitting the UK indie music scene

Well that was fun.

bballarl
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
All of this would be okay if Ian Brown made good solo albums. But he doesn't.

Alchemy
03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Does The Mirror do anything right?

kreutz2112
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
well, that was fun.

C DUB YA
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I've got Soul but i'm not a Soldier?

Oh jesus christ.

C DUB YA
03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
All of this would be okay if Ian Brown made good solo albums. But he doesn't.

agreed - he has a few great tunes a though.

Fear
Corpses...
Gravy Train
My Star
Forever And A Day
Stardust
Be There
Longsight M13
Keep What Ya Got

he's one of those rare artists where i suggest new listeners pick up his greatest hits before the albums proper. this is my favorite record of his though:

http://juiced.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/ianbrown.jpg

chiapet
03-17-2009, 10:24 AM

This is basically what I posted on one of the other threads. I actually burst into tears for about 30 seconds before realizing it was only reported in tabloids. But here's to hoping, some day.

sonnyboy11
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Ya know, while we on this subject, one Brit band that should reunite would be the band in bballarl's avatar- SPACEMEN 3! I was lucky enough to see them at London University back in 1987 and they were great! I'll admit it might not have the 'glamour' appeal of someone like the Roses, but it sure would be great to hear Sonic Boom and J Spaceman rock out Rollercoaster one more time.

bmack86
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
It'll never happen though. There's some BAD blood between them, and Spiritualized does better than Spacemen 3 ever did. Still, if you go and see both Spiritualized and Spectrum, you'll get a good smattering of Spacemen tracks. On his last tour, Sonic Boom was playing a set solely comprised of Spacemen tracks. it was amazing.

amyzzz
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Jesus Christ. The Stone Roses' hype is as bad as The Smiths'. I got excited for a minute until I read through the whole damn thread. Fuck this shit.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
HA! Sorry Amyz!

Boourns
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Yet another reason to not bother with other possibilities and just make a Pulp reunion happen.

C DUB YA
03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
The Roses will reform long before the Smiths ever will.