PDA

View Full Version : Pixies 2009 tour: bring 'em back

KrazzyJoe
03-13-2009, 08:57 AM
2009 tour (official MySpace) (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=3014473&blogId=476408331)

Pixies Playing Isle of Wight Fest (NME.com) (http://www.nme.com/news/pixies/43424)

Certainly one of the definitive Coachella sets. And Coachella was definitely the definitive reunion show for the Pixies. Bring 'em down! I'm sure they'd love to make a comeback. Kim returned with the Breeders in 2008 and they all talk about the Pixies gig in 2004 as one of their best ever.

obzen
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
im totally down for this-as i expressed before this thread was made

AlecEiffel
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
hmm, Black Francis has completely redesigned his website and there is a little bit of a teaser about this on the front page:

The negotiators continue the discussion about BLACK FRANCIS concerts for this year of the Ox 2009. Acoustic? 3 piece? GRAND DUCHY? PIXIES? Duets with movie stars? Poetry slam? Art exhibition? WHO SHALL KNOW THESE THINGS? Checking the site of blackfrancis.net can be a habit to have!!

malcolmjamalawesome
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
im totally down for this-as i expressed before this thread was made

OHHHHHHHH YOU'RE SO SASSY

obzen
03-13-2009, 09:35 AM
^stay in the tents

menikmati
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
what about a new album?

bartelby
03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
man that was a fabulous set in '04....i still get goosebumps listening to that boot

AlecEiffel
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
There will not be a new Pixies album.

menikmati
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
They've put so much time into touring for the last 5 years now...you would think maybe they would decide to go write some new stuff together. I mean I love the pixies and would love to see them, but it's been the same setlist essentially since the beginning of 2004 (not that's it's a bad thing, but ya know...).

AlecEiffel
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Black Francis would do a new album no problem, back in '04 or '05 he mentioned that he had gone so far as to write some songs for it. Kim Deal, however, does not want to do it as she's afraid that a new album, no matter it's quality, would tarnish their perfect legacy.

I am a Frank Black superfan, I want any new material I can get from him and I'm sure that anything the Pixies put out would be awesome, but I also think Kim is right, unfortunately. They could put out the best album in their discography and it would still be panned as people would be expecting entirely too much.

Also, the last two Black Francis records have been very Pixie-ish, I highly recommend checking them out, especially Bluefinger.

menikmati
03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Kim's always been the problem with the group...the band will hardly touch any material off Bossanova because Kim had very little input on the songs back then. Pretty lame.

thestripe
03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
The film Loud Quiet Loud says it all. They are totally dysfunctional. They hardly speak to each other. Even if they were all on board with the idea of making a new album, it wouldn't happen because it seems that they wouldn't be able to communicate the idea. Sad. At least they still make it happen on stage though.

fac429
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Kim's always been the problem with the group...

If by "problem" you mean "one of many reasons why the Pixies are such a super-fantastic band", then I agree with you.

AlecEiffel
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
They did start to play Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde songs towards the end of the tour, and they were awesome. Frankly, I'm surprised that they are going to tour again, I thought they were done forever this time. I'm pumped at the idea of seeing them again.

familyguy420
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
This would be great , they are one of the best adds i can think of.

Pixiessp
03-13-2009, 11:13 AM
If by "problem" you mean "one of many reasons why the Pixies are such a super-fantastic band", then I agree with you.

you are my pal.

PassiveTheory
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I didn't believe this till I looked up the Isle of Wight festival. Holy fucking shit, I am not missing them this time around.

But yeah, they aren't going to be added. I completely and utterly doubt it, unless they do some serious re-arranging to Sunday.

Pixiessp
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
A Pixies appearance at Coachella would be great. I doubt it will take place though.

familyguy420
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
No disrespect to Neal, but he should open for Them.

summerkid
03-13-2009, 11:40 AM
have them replace amy!

Jon Blazed
03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
what about a new album?

So are they still considered a reunion band for the create your own festival contest?

summerkid
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
who cares if there's no new material, kraftwerk repeated from their 2004 set with no new material and it was still fucking awesome.

menikmati
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
So are they still considered a reunion band for the create your own festival contest?

yes

Grant
03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Holy f'ing shit... PIXIES FOR COACHELLA '09!

obzen
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
just told some of my old surfing buddies the good news-
i speak on behalf of all of them when i say,
bring on The Pixies!

familyguy420
03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Someone e-mail Paul and ask him to make this happen.

deuxmio
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Pixies = the real Saturday headliner?? Make it happen Goldenvoice!!! Please!

PassiveTheory
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
The idea of the Pixies opening up for the Killers is fucking disgusting.

obzen
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
^holy shit we agree on something!!

Pixiessp
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
The idea of the Pixies opening up for the Killers is fucking disgusting.

:nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono This better not happen!!!!!!

KungFuJay
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Black Francis would do a new album no problem, back in '04 or '05 he mentioned that he had gone so far as to write some songs for it. Kim Deal, however, does not want to do it as she's afraid that a new album, no matter it's quality, would tarnish their perfect legacy.

I am a Frank Black superfan, I want any new material I can get from him and I'm sure that anything the Pixies put out would be awesome, but I also think Kim is right, unfortunately. They could put out the best album in their discography and it would still be panned as people would be expecting entirely too much.

Also, the last two Black Francis records have been very Pixie-ish, I highly recommend checking them out, especially Bluefinger.

You had me at hello.

AlecEiffel
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
the better bands aren't always the bigger ones. In 2004 I didn't understand how the Pixies were billed below Radiohead. For me the Pixies reunion was the most exciting musical moment in my lifetime, and not to take anything away from Radiohead, I know a lot of you are very passionate about them, but they are not the Pixies. I look back at it now and I get it. The same way that if the Pixies were to be added to Saturday and billed beneath the Killers (I wouldn't like it but) I'd get it.

Face it, if you live in an area that has a relatively good FM station and you listen to the radio A LOT you might hear one Pixies song a week. Where as you will hear several different Killers songs many times each in a single day. It may not be 'right', but it's the way it is.

superfiction
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
YAYYYYYY

summerkid
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
the better bands aren't always the bigger ones. In 2004 I didn't understand how the Pixies were billed below Radiohead. For me the Pixies reunion was the most exciting musical moment in my lifetime, and not to take anything away from Radiohead, I know a lot of you are very passionate about them, but they are not the Pixies. I look back at it now and I get it. The same way that if the Pixies were to be added to Saturday and billed beneath the Killers (I wouldn't like it but) I'd get it.

Face it, if you live in an area that has a relatively good FM station and you listen to the radio A LOT you might hear one Pixies song a week. Where as you will hear several different Killers songs many times each in a single day. It may not be 'right', but it's the way it is.

amen.

menikmati
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
they must need money in this rough economy

obzen
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
the better bands aren't always the bigger ones. In 2004 I didn't understand how the Pixies were billed below Radiohead. For me the Pixies reunion was the most exciting musical moment in my lifetime, and not to take anything away from Radiohead.

i agree,and i fuckin love Radiohead.

obzen
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM

sad but true:nono

the goat
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
What are you talking about, it would make getting out of the parking lot so much easier! Just found a torrent of their return to Boston show a couple weeks ago and I was daring to dream. Doubt it, but at least they're playing again. No new album necessary, just more Bossanova. i need to hear The Happening and Dig for Fire!

PassiveTheory
03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
The Pixies opening for Radiohead: Sure it's something of a slight but it's understandable. What with the group's Pixies influence and what-not.

The Pixies opening for The Killers: An utter slight. Where the fuck is the lineage or the influence? Where's the cross-over the fan base?

I mean, I know we're talking about the festival that had Death Cab open for Kraftwerk open for Portishead open for Prince, but still... Christ.

the goat
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Sterolab, Pixies, Radiohead was pretty much the greatest thing ever, even without Mary and Thom's fucked up voice. They should put em on at noon, you'd be able to see that line from space.

AquaFresh
03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
If Pixies would play Saturday.

They better pull a portishead on those shiny bitches.

Drewski27
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
i would like to see frank black sodomize brandon flowers and have brandon flowers cry in front of thousands of coachella attendees. that would make an epic tenth coachella.

MonsoonSeason
03-13-2009, 02:33 PM
if pixies play anywhere in america, I will go to that location

KrazzyJoe
03-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Who cares about the Pixies being billed below Radiohead anymore? Not even Radiohead liked Radiohead headlining for the Pixies.

amidoingitwrite
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/lalocura_2007/pics/1231219069597s.jpg

Drewski27
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
you know, ive been in a shitty mood today. but after reading more into this wonderful possibility of the pixies just touring period, i do feel much better.

instantvintage
03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
switch the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Orb to Saturday, Pixies on Sunday

Xenocide
03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
now PIXIES would be a good replacement...

i'll take Blur or NIN or No Doubt or Daft Punk too ya know...

tyler0js
03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
omfg
omfg
omfg
omfg

i don't even care if they're @ Coachella, I'll see them anywhere @ anytime in northern or southern CA

imapixie
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM

I really liked how Thom said something like..."I grew up listening to the Pixies, their one of my biggest influences" or something like that after their set and before Radioheads set.

But yes, I am totally down for the Pixies on Saturday. I am actually wearing my 2004 tour shirt from so cal today!

Pixies is one of the adds for Saturday to make me actually go that day instead of just Friday (although I have a 3-day pass)

moomoo
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
omfg
omfg
omfg
omfg

i don't even care if they're @ Coachella, I'll see them anywhere @ anytime in northern or southern CA

same. I shat a cinder block when I opened this thread. I wasn't sure whether or not I'd get a chance to catch them or not.

emtgreg
03-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Most of us feel that way :)

Hell, Thom Yorke feels that way!!

anti-square
03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
want

tyler0js
03-13-2009, 11:03 PM
now PIXIES would be a good replacement...

i'll take Blur or NIN or No Doubt or Daft Punk too ya know...

great minds think a like ;)

SEEDYMIG420
03-14-2009, 01:57 AM
The Pixies......What?!.......*****, Fo Sho!!!! I was on "E" when I saw them in 2004. I was fucked up. I also remember that, The Pixies put on a great performance. I think I came about 10x, durring their set. Just kidding...or am I ???????????????????????????

PassiveTheory
03-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Who the fuck takes ecstasy to listen to the Pixies? WTF.

Drewski27
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
The Pixies......What?!.......*****, Fo Sho!!!! I was on "E" when I saw them in 2004. I was fucked up. I also remember that, The Pixies put on a great performance. I think I came about 10x, durring their set. Just kidding...or am I ???????????????????????????

so was i! i saw the mars volta open for them in irvine and i was rolling balls. one of the vest shows i have ever seen.

sacleonard
03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
This would be a fantastic addition on any night. However, since Friday and Sunday are so stacked, I would be especially appreciative to see them added to Saturday.

Pixiessp
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Let's make it a Pixies related weekend.

Friday: The Martinis
David Lovering Magician Show

Saturday: The Pixies

Sunday: Frank Black
The Amps

Jman4321
03-15-2009, 12:46 AM
I would be shocked if they were added but if so then this would become one of the most ridiculous Coachella line-ups ever, for me at least. I caught them at Street Scene awhile back and was blown away by what I already had lofty expectations for. If this indeed, by whatever's grace, gets added to Saturday, I will be ecstatic.

lsd_reflux
03-15-2009, 07:13 AM
The Pixies opening for Radiohead: Sure it's something of a slight but it's understandable. What with the group's Pixies influence and what-not.

The Pixies opening for The Killers: An utter slight. Where the fuck is the lineage or the influence? Where's the cross-over the fan base?

I mean, I know we're talking about the festival that had Death Cab open for Kraftwerk open for Portishead open for Prince, but still... Christ.

switch the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Orb to Saturday, Pixies on Sunday

Problem solved. It works on a lot of levels too.

Thievery Corp gets to play sunset > fantastic.

YYY don't play @ sunset > alleviates any deja vu from their awesome 06 performance, while still being a slight 'coachella promotion'; Karen O @ Nite~

Sunday: would Pixies or MBV play before The Cure? Either way, any order, these 3 would sync up very well!

SEEDYMIG420
03-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Who the fuck takes ecstasy to listen to the Pixies? WTF.

Me.....*****. AND!!!

boarderwoozel3
03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
This is fantastic news to say the least! US tour? Hopefully. I'm going to be pissed if this is a UK one off.

Whiskers
03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Maybe the Pixies will play in the UK in July when I might be visiting.

tyler0js
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
This is fantastic news to say the least! US tour? Hopefully. I'm going to be pissed if this is a UK one off.

I think a lot of people feel this way :)