PDA

View Full Version : James to replace Winehouse

boardboy
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
We need a solid band to hit the main stage...James are touring and expressed an interest to come back to the states this Spring! They would kick ass...c'mon just add them! Their new album Hey Ma is great...a one hour set from them would be all hits and would win over a lot of people!!!

]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXwGzDe7fMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXwGzDe7fMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7jf-NKRbMU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7jf-NKRbMU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

weezy f baby
03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
just for your lack of tag knowledge...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/kevindoyle_bucket/Gonna_get_raped_cat.png

scoop49er
03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
james was on my list and i think they would be nice.. but it will be faith no more

boardboy
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
fixed the tags bitches

weeklymix
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
?

http://ickmusic.com/pics/rickjames.jpg

rskapcat
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I saw James at Six Flags Over Texas when I was in high school. :) I would not complain at all if they were added.

Rasputin1981
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Okay, neither.

beavington
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
i dont think James would ever get that high of billing in America.

WilliamTaft
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
who the fuck

SEEDYMIG420
03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I have to say......JAMES would be great. I saw them at the Glen Hellen Pav. in Davore, C.A. for Lolapalooza. They kicked ass. Not alot of people knew who they were, but after JAMES performed, people were saying good things about them. So, yes....please add JAMES.

deeznutz
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
If by James, you mean James Holden, then yes sir my textures a different fur.

SEEDYMIG420
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
RING!...RING!!...RING!!!....RING!!!!..."Hello?" ....."Hey , what's up?" ..."Oh hey, nothing."
"So, what did you do today?"...."Nothing, just did some shopping, went to the beauty salon and got my nails done." "That's cool." "So tell me.....Did whats his name get at you today?"....."Who?"..........."DEEZ NUTZ!!!!!!"

Drewski27
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
mcmotherfuckas

deeznutz
03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
RING!...RING!!...RING!!!....RING!!!!..."Hello?" ....."Hey , what's up?" ..."Oh hey, nothing."
"So, what did you do today?"...."Nothing, just did some shopping, went to the beauty salon and got my nails done." "That's cool." "So tell me.....Did whats his name get at you today?"....."Who?"..........."DEEZ NUTZ!!!!!!"

LOL, a break in the clouds etc

stewboss
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
i dont think James would ever get that high of billing in America.

I believe James could be billed as high as Travis was in 2007 but no higher.

I'd love to see them in a headline slot, but it's just not destined to happen in America.

darkjustice
03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
no.

M Sparks
03-11-2009, 06:26 AM
If by James, you mean James Holden, then yes sir my textures a different fur.

Jesus, people.

I'm so sick of the people on this board who don't know anything more than 2 years old.

EDIT- That said, no way James would ever be billed that high. Really, only 2 hits here.

boardboy
03-11-2009, 06:32 AM
They are definitely big enough to take a late afternoon/ early evening slot on the main stage (Death Cab slot from last year). They are playing main stages at european fests this year:

From James website (www.wearejames.com):

James confirmed for T in the Park
We are pleased to announce that James have been confirmed to play at T In The Park on Saturday 11th July 2009. James will be sharing the main stage with acts including The Killers and Razorlight.

&

James at V
We can now confirm that James will be playing the V Festival this summer. The band will appear at Weston Park, Staffordshire on Saturday 22nd August, and Hylands Park, Chelmsford the following day. They will be playing on the V Stage, along with Oasis and Elbow.

MonsoonSeason
03-11-2009, 08:05 AM
They are definitely big enough to take a late afternoon/ early evening slot on the main stage (Death Cab slot from last year). They are playing main stages at european fests this year:

We are pleased to announce that James have been confirmed to play at T In The Park on Saturday 11th July 2009. James will be sharing the main stage with acts including The Killers and Razorlight.

&

James at V
We can now confirm that James will be playing the V Festival this summer. The band will appear at Weston Park, Staffordshire on Saturday 22nd August, and Hylands Park, Chelmsford the following day. They will be playing on the V Stage, along with Oasis and Elbow.

yeah but those are both in england, where james actually has fans

do you think that elbow could headline coach? that razorlight could?

tigermilkboy
03-11-2009, 08:11 AM
yeah but those are both in england, where james actually has fans

do you think that elbow could headline coach? that razorlight could?

T In The Park is in Scotland.

James have for the last 10 years or so, always occupied the early evening 5pm slot on the Main Stages at British festivals-this is traditionally the spot held for fading/familiar acts. The Cure has been knocking around this spot for a while.

dkbdog
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Every time I have seen James, I have been completely thrashed for several following days. Unbelievable live act.

boardboy
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
T In The Park is in Scotland.

James have for the last 10 years or so, always occupied the early evening 5pm slot on the Main Stages at British festivals-this is traditionally the spot held for fading/familiar acts. The Cure has been knocking around this spot for a while.

Gotta love how clueless people are...James just got back together about a year and half ago...they have only played T in the Park once since then (2007). And the Cure knocking around at 5pm slots....please show me one time that has happened in the past 25 years!!!!

BRING ON JAMES GV!!!

tigermilkboy
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Gotta love how clueless people are...James just got back together about a year and half ago...they have only played T in the Park once since then (2007). And the Cure knocking around at 5pm slots....please show me one time that has happened in the past 25 years!!!!

BRING ON JAMES GV!!!

Well saw The Cure at Roskilde in 2001 and they weren't headliners. Hell they were sub-headliners to Basement Jaxx at one festival.
And since 1999-thats 10 years fuckface, i have seen James play T in the Park 1999, 2001. Benicassim 2001, V festival 2000. And listen you fucker they were on around 5pm. So fuck your pants dipshit!!!

boardboy
03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Well saw The Cure at Roskilde in 2001 and they weren't headliners. Hell they were sub-headliners to Basement Jaxx at one festival.
And since 1999-thats 10 years fuckface, i have seen James play T in the Park 1999, 2001. Benicassim 2001, V festival 2000. And listen you fucker they were on around 5pm. So fuck your pants dipshit!!!

Subheadliners to Basement Jaxx??? Please show me this somewhere? That's like saying the Chili Peppers were subheadliners to Tiesto in 2007.

And cmon..i can go back to a lot of festivals in 1999/2000 and show bands that were in low places then that are in higher places now. That was right when b4 they disbanded in 2001...now that they reformed there is more demand since they havent been playing as much...especially here in the US.

Oh...and regarding the fuckface/ dipshit comment. U (and your family) can suck on my hairy fucking ballbag. Cheers!

deeznutz
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Jesus, people.

I'm so sick of the people on this board who don't know anything more than 2 years old.

WTF are you talking about? Hello, is this thing on?

boardboy
03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
U know Morrissey will support James being added
Here is Tim Booth and Morrissey back in the day:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/famousgoodbyeking/Morrissey1991ftTimBooth.jpg

Here is Tim Booth now pissed that he hasnt been added yet!:

http://musicmedia.ign.com/music/image/article/580/580886/timboothinline_011905_1106179013.jpg

Gribbz
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Wow, I haven't heard of "James."

I MUST be clueless!

WilliamTaft
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM

&

James at V

you don't get it though.

this is a US festival. even the obscure hipster kids in the US have no fucking clue who this guy is.

boardboy
03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I do fully understand that they are not as well known in the US...with the exception of the song Laid that everyone has heard one too many times.

But u must admit that pretty much all the hipster kids also have no idea who Throbbing Gristle are. I'm obviously just a big fan who has never had the chance to see James live and was disapointed to see that they werent on this years lineup...when I heard that they were gonna be.

captncrzy
03-12-2009, 12:29 PM
You retards are all forgetting that Amy Winehouse, with her one album and 2 or 3 hits in the states, had no business having the slot she had either. She was given that slot becuase it was supposed to be her "comeback". Going from a tent in 2007 to a subheadlining spot two years later without a new album? Total bullshit.

I'd love a James add.

boardboy
03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I honestly think that Goldenvoice used Amy as a holding space for a better band/ act that they were expecting could/ would confirm at a later date. She has been a disaster for the past 2 years and has not been recording or writing...they had to have known she wouldnt have gotten a visa. And giving her 2nd billing was a complete joke...

Also...the suggestions that they replace her with Duffy or Adele is an even bigger joke. I have spoken to some insiders and ticket sales are not doing well for Coachella right now. They are either gonna just swallow it as the economy sucks for everyone...or will have to make an add that will get people that arent already coming to come. I am not saying that James would do that though...but FNM or Blur would def do that.

dorkfish
03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
You retards are all forgetting that Amy Winehouse, with her one album and 2 or 3 hits in the states, had no business having the slot she had either. She was given that slot becuase it was supposed to be her "comeback". Going from a tent in 2007 to a subheadlining spot two years later without a new album? Total bullshit.
Hey retard, you are forgetting that her album won five U.S. Grammys last year, sold about 3 million copies in the U.S. and somewhere between 10-15 million copies worldwide, so the jump from the tent to subheadlining wasn't that much of a surprise.

boardboy
03-12-2009, 01:16 PM
The argument that Winheouse sold millions and won Grammy's doesnt mean shit.

Dido sold over 21 million on her debut and dissapeared right afterwards. Would Dido warrant a 2nd headliner slot at Coachella? What translates in sales does not translate into a good performance...and Dido wasnt/ isnt a full blown crackhead!

dorkfish
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm not going to argue in favor of Dido or Amy Winehouse, but to think that Amy Winehouse wasn't going to be a nice draw for Southern California ticket buyers flat out blind ignorance.

captncrzy
03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Amy Winehouse has made herself irrelevant. A couple of grammys doesn't make her a sub-headliner. I'd say 10 studio albums qualifies James as much as Amy Winehouse's one blockbuster album. And, if Winehouse was such a draw (along with the Killers-they have three pretty big albums and people are bitching about their headlining spot), you'd figure Saturday tickets would be sold out by now.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that the argument that James can't be a subheadliner here because of their "couple of hits" was ironic considering Winehouse is in the same boat. I don't understand the whole "billing" thing on the poster anyway.

Gribbz
03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I always laugh when someone defends an artist by saying, "HEY, so and so sold x amount of records!"

Great. The Backstreet boys sold a lot of records too.

boardboy
03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Honestly, given the disaster that she is I dont believe she would be a deciding factor for anyone on whether to buy a ticket to the show. She is one of those artists that you buy the CD and like a few songs and then forget about...not an artist who has loyal fan base.

The only artists on this years bill that have a very devoted fanbase and can move a good number of tickets are McCartney, Morrissey, the Cure, MBV, Leonard Cohen, Paul Weller, and maybe a few more. What I mean is that these are truly the only artists on the bill that will draw a lot of people who otherwise would not attend. (throbbing gristle and the orb could fall here as well).

I have been going to Coachella every year since 04 and I believe that this year has the least amount of "exclusive" performances...that at least appeal to me

dorkfish
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I always laugh when someone defends an artist by saying, "HEY, so and so sold x amount of records!"

Great. The Backstreet boys sold a lot of records too.
Selling records is an apt argument to explain your rise from the Gobi tent to the main stage before the headliner after selling x amount of records. Her quality of music isn't even up for debate, I couldn't care less about listening to or watching her.

Amy Winehouse would out draw James 100 to 1 at Coachella.

Gribbz
03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Selling records is an apt argument to explain your rise from the Gobi tent to the main stage before the headliner after selling. Her quality of music isn't even up for debate, I couldn't care less about listening to or watching her.

Amy Winehouse would out draw James 100 to 1 at Coachella.

No argument there. I was never commenting on the quality of her music. I just hear that argument too much when it comes to Amy's music.

dorkfish
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Anyway, I was just pointing out that the argument that James can't be a subheadliner here because of their "couple of hits" was ironic considering Winehouse is in the same boat. I don't understand the whole "billing" thing on the poster anyway.
James draw isn't as strong as Amy Winehouse's even without her having a catalog of records. To say that James had hits in the U.S. is a major overstatement. Most average Coachella-goers would fail to name a single James song, and might be able to recognize "Laid" as the song from American Pie. James is a lot better than Amy Winehouse, but not a ticket-selling equal by any means.

boardboy
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Of course they would not sell as much tickets as Amy Winehouse...which of course is really sad!

My original post was basically just trying to say that James would be a great and Lively add...defintely could be an Outdoor stage headliner!!! And the more we keep this thread alive the more it stays at the top of the list! I created it in hopes that GV is still searching for an add(s). James sold out 3 Socal shows last fall...that i believe GV promoted.

tcpace
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
JAMES!!!

Best Idea on the whole board!

A real band with a real stage presence and a catalog of songs worth hearing! Now that's a Saturday add I can get behind!!

tcpace
03-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Why are you people worried about TICKET sales? This AMERICAN IDOL culture is killing music...you're supposed to want Paul to book GREAT BANDS. Let him worry about selling tickets.

You worry about the music. You're music fans. That's what you're supposed to do. Stop thinking commerce and art have anything to do with one another just because YOU ARE TOLD THAT IT DOES every single time you turn on the radio or TV.

tcpace
03-12-2009, 08:55 PM
JAMES ARE DO FOR A COACHELLA MAINSTAGE

stewboss
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
James draw isn't as strong as Amy Winehouse's even without her having a catalog of records. To say that James had hits in the U.S. is a major overstatement. Most average Coachella-goers would fail to name a single James song, and might be able to recognize "Laid" as the song from American Pie. James is a lot better than Amy Winehouse, but not a ticket-selling equal by any means.

I don't think you're wrong about the average Coachella-goer, but in general that statement underestimates the band. More people should know about James, even if record sales, airplay and time make it unlikely for attendees to know the band.

boardboy
03-13-2009, 06:53 AM
I don't think you're wrong about the average Coachella-goer, but in general that statement underestimates the band. More people should know about James, even if record sales, airplay and time make it unlikely for attendees to know the band.

Unfortunately most people around this board are posers and dont know much about music...just pretend. That is apparent in the numerous Chemical Bros live vs dj polls....and the bring Outkast and Gorillaz to Coachella threads.

WilliamTaft
03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
it's not that we're ignorant. it's just that people outside of the UK seriously don't know who James is. it doesn't matter if you think we "should" know him. there are plenty of artists and bands that more people SHOULD know, but just because you think they're good doesn't mean they should headline. the purpose of the headliner is to bring everyone together for one last performance of the night, and the majority of the attendees know who the artist is (whether or not they like them). but this guy is big in the UK, and unknown in america. the festival is in America. imagine if there was a festival in England and a bunch of kids from India start talking about how they want this really big Indian artist to headline. this guy has been releasing albums in India for a long time and is adored all over the country. but outside of India nobody knows who the hell he is.
so why would this random Indian dude, adored by Indians, headline an ENGLISH fest where nobody knows him.

so why would a British dude, adored by brits, headline an AMERICAN fest where hardly any americans know him? it doesn't make sense.

Gribbz
03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately most people around this board are posers and dont know much about music...just pretend. That is apparent in the numerous Chemical Bros live vs dj polls....and the bring Outkast and Gorillaz to Coachella threads.

What the fuck do you know?

boardboy
03-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I know that you have way too much time on your hands if you have posted almost 1700 times on this message board in under 4 months.

stewboss
03-16-2009, 07:27 AM
WilliamTaft, a few things to consider:

1) James isn't a dude, James is a band. It is a band named after the bass player (Jim Glennie), but a band nonetheless.

2) I'm actually not suggesting that James headline, I made that clear in a previous post. Mid-afternoon is probably as high as they could be billed.

3) You and I seek very different things from Coachella. I actually come to see both music that has already caught my attention and bands that might be totally off my radar. In fact, Coachella would be a moderate failure if it was unable to deliver against that sort of promise.

In any case, I think you're safely clear of any James appearance at this year's festival, not better off for it, but likely clear of the experience.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
James could barely sell a 1500 person venue here in Denver. In fact they were giving tickets away the day of the show.

Todfilm
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I support it just because I enjoy their music. I don't care if people have heard of them or if they have sold a lot of records.

Grant
03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/r/rick-james/album-rick-james-gold.jpg

Gribbz
03-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I know that you have way too much time on your hands if you have posted almost 1700 times on this message board in under 4 months.

Ad hominem. Try again.

You've probably never been to coachella if you think that outkast/gorillaz is a crazy suggestion for an add.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

boardboy
03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Ad hominem. Try again.

You've probably never been to coachella if you think that outkast/gorillaz is a crazy suggestion for an add.

No Ad hominem. This will be my 5th consecutive Coachella. And yes Outkast and Gorillaz are both retarded suggestions...anybody who knows music and how tours work could explain that. First off Outkast would only do a show if they had new material...which they dont. Second they dont play live! And Gorillaz...have u realized that Blur is touring this year and that Damon has only put together demos for the next Gorillaz album? So what reason would the Gorillaz have to tour? Same goes for the retards saying the Chemical Bros should play live. First off the Chemical Brothers NEVER play live...they twist knobs over a backing track...thats a fact! Their live show is simply lights and video...and they spend considerable $$ putting together that light and video show for each new tour. So if they have no new material and no new tour why would they just create a whole show for one festival slot???

Ok...back to work...

Leeartlee
03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
No Ad hominem. This will be my 5th consecutive Coachella. And yes Outkast and Gorillaz are both retarded suggestions...anybody who knows music and how tours work could explain that. First off Outkast would only do a show if they had new material...which they dont. Second they dont play live! And Gorillaz...have u realized that Blur is touring this year and that Damon has only put together demos for the next Gorillaz album? So what reason would the Gorillaz have to tour? Same goes for the retards saying the Chemical Bros should play live. First off the Chemical Brothers NEVER play live...they twist knobs over a backing track...thats a fact! Their live show is simply lights and video...and they spend considerable $$ putting together that light and video show for each new tour. So if they have no new material and no new tour why would they just create a whole show for one festival slot???

Ok...back to work...

Jesus Christ, if I hear about how this EDM act or that one only "twists knobs" during their live shows one more fucking time...

It is what it is. I don't care if they are back there strangling a fucking cat: If it sounds good, it sounds good. Fuck!

boardboy
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
James were added to the Oxegen fest in Ireland...which in my opinion is the best festival lineup so far this year anywhere:
http://www.wearejames.com/news/

http://www.oxegen.ie/2009/images/stories/misc_images/oxegen_lineup_110309.gif