PDA

View Full Version : Bring M.I.A. in to Subheadline Saturday

Amneeziac
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I think M.I.A. would be a ridiculously perfect replacement for Amy Winehouse. She's a high-profile female artist whose fame goes beyond her music, just like Wino, only so much better. In the time between her Coachella performance and now, what with Pineapple Express/Paper Planes and then Slumdog Millionaire, her popularity has gotten so out of hand she's practically crossed over to the mainstream (of course she'd never have that). The media has been in love with her for the past couple months, so it would drum up some extra press/buzz for the already most buzzed about festival.

Yes, she just had a baby but she'd only need to be away from him for a few hours to maybe a day maximum, she's currently living in L.A. so she's not far from the festival. She would be a huge draw as anybody who was even remotely near the Sahara during her set last year would know. Her set was a complete disaster, as much as I'd love to deny it, the Sahara was sooo far over capacity and everyone was going nuts because of it. This would give her a chance to put on a truly great, problem-free show at Coachella. I know she has her own hate fanclub here on the boards, but I think she could totally be the tipping point for many, many people between going and not going on Saturday.

beavington
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I would like that only if she was on the main stage, because that shit in the sahara last year fucking sucked!

or i will go back on this GET ERYKAH BADU! although she is playing the other fests, i dont fucking care she could take crackhouses spot.

Amneeziac
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Obviously she would be on the main stage if she were taking Wino's slot. I completely agree, last year was a mess. Way too small of a space, too many people dying to see her.

Boourns
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, a proper show without unreasonable conflicts is needed.

OnAJourney
03-09-2009, 05:42 PM
she would get a do-over.
I'm down

Amneeziac
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
It would be great. People don't seem to get that the complications at Coachella last year stemmed from the Sahara not being able to fit the amount of people who wanted to see her, and the over-capacity just caused problems. Not to mention her DJ should've been Diplo or Switch, not that dumbfuck who wouldn't stop with the gunshots. That's not how her live show generally is. It's generally insane in a good way.

daftmonkey64
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
i stole thats bitch's sunglasses at vegoose

boarderwoozel3
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
The gunshots were not hot, at all. And yes, the Sahara was a total clusterfuck.

Cherita Chen
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
People say I fail with my franz ferdinand thread?

beavington
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
It would be great. People don't seem to get that the complications at Coachella last year stemmed from the Sahara not being able to fit the amount of people who wanted to see her, and the over-capacity just caused problems. Not to mention her DJ should've been Diplo or Switch, not that dumbfuck who wouldn't stop with the gunshots. That's not how her live show generally is. It's generally insane in a good way.

i thought she was doing the gunshots. i fucking hated those gunshots, they were the reason i left. I didnt want to hear gunshots all throughout Sunshowers. But on the vids i watch on youtube it seems like she is fucking with a keyboard or whatever when the gunshhots go off.

Amneeziac
03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
i thought she was doing the gunshots. i fucking hated those gunshots, they were the reason i left. I didnt want to hear gunshots all throughout Sunshowers. But on the vids i watch on youtube it seems like she is fucking with a keyboard or whatever when the gunshhots go off.

That's only in the beginning, before she even starts with any songs. The DJ did all the rest.

Also, I should note, standard maternity leave for most jobs is six weeks. This is nowhere near impossible.

CalmerThanYou
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
It be a real fucking party when she starts making it rain with her breast milk all over the Supre's of the world along the front rail.

bluemamba
03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
uhghhhh no!!! fuck you1!!1!!!! and id rather have Amy puke crack and beer in my face.

mattpach
03-09-2009, 11:25 PM
It be a real fucking party when she starts making it rain with her breast milk all over the Supre's of the world along the front rail.

:lool

brycerosen
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
MIA sucked last year

JSam67
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
People say I fail with my franz ferdinand thread?

Haha no kidding, MIA is about the worst addition I can imagine. She's just...so....awful.

ADGZ662
03-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Oh fuck!!!

osBIN3RTxYg&feature=related

hive hearted
03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
M.I.A. needs to get it right, GV knows this, the mainstage would be hype.
then ERYKAH BADU can smooooooth it out

pocket
03-20-2009, 01:30 AM

it was the same at the echoplex, same at coachella, same at sasquatch. the gunshots are in every song excessively live. count me out

Gribbz
03-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Oi!

Boourns
03-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Oh fuck!!!

osBIN3RTxYg&feature=related

Haha, wow. Worst thing I've ever seen. Glad I was at Kraftwerk.

Cpt. Funkaho
03-20-2009, 01:50 AM
I think M.I.A. would be a ridiculously perfect replacement for Amy Winehouse.

Fuuuuuuck thaaaaat shiiiiiit

She would be an excellent replacement in the sense that, like Amy Winehouse, she is a solo female vocalist who has a large cult following and would give an absolute train wreck of a performance.

I don't want my Coachella dollars supporting that tripe.

Amneeziac
03-20-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't care what the opinion is here, the fact of the matter is she has a large cult following like you said, and that sells tickets and makes a ton of people happy. The majority of the board may dislike her, but it's the vast majority at Coachella that matters, and they love her.

Boourns
03-20-2009, 02:07 AM
I still need to add her to my list, so I'd be down with her being added. Not at the top of my list, though.

Oooh, how about Feist? She'll be in NYC a couple weeks later and has never played.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 02:41 AM
You're a silly 18 y/o boy, Amneeziac

ozmusic
03-20-2009, 02:45 AM
YES YES YES! MAIN STAGE @ NIGHT!!! this would be better then mccartney and the cure for me.

Grant
03-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Looks like Amneeziac got his/her wish...

http://twitter.com/_M_I_A_

PierogiHead
03-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Looks like Amneeziac got his/her wish...

Yeah, it looks legit. If you go through the people who she's been Twittering back and forth with or the people THEY'VE been Twittering back and forth with, you'll find DJ accounts like Steve Aoki's. It'd be pretty lame for someone with actual ties to other Coachella acts to set up a fake account and play out a weeklong Twittering that would culminate with a Coachella appearance announcement.

Anyway, it's a sensible add considering last year's Sahara set disaster.

Grant
03-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Monklish is such a piece of shit... This morning she posted that she "got word" that M.I.A. was coming, when M.I.A. had posted on Twitter about being at Coachella. Fucking tool.

PierogiHead
03-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Another account related to the MIA account within a degree of separation is Diplo's, so I'd say bank on it at this point.

Neutral Milk Hotel
03-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Monklish is such a piece of shit... This morning she posted that she "got word" that M.I.A. was coming, when M.I.A. had posted on Twitter about being at Coachella. Fucking tool.

Where does it say this? I didn't see it on her blog.

boardboy
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
wow...what a shit add. Here comes another artist with no new material. Recyclechella.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 06:18 AM
I can already hear those fucking gunshots ringing in my head

Neutral Milk Hotel
03-20-2009, 06:19 AM
wow...what a shit add. Here comes another artist with no new material. Recyclechella.

To my knowledge she's the only repeat act from last year. And when you consider what an epic fail her set last year was (for some people, anyway), why not give her a chance to do a proper set for a massive audience?

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Because I don't wanna see her!!!! Terrible opening act for the killers*

*no jokes please. too easy

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 06:23 AM
MIA = Win in my book. I saw her at the Fillmore here in Denver and she fucking killed it. Bamboo Banger is a epic opener.

anonimouse
03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
she had her chance and she fucked it up

lets give her a few more years to get her act together before we bring her back, hopefully without dj call of duty this time

boardboy
03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
To my knowledge she's the only repeat act from last year. And when you consider what an epic fail her set last year was (for some people, anyway), why not give her a chance to do a proper set for a massive audience?

I am just referring to the amount of artists billed fairly high with no new material...especially electronic/ dance music which you could file MIA under (she was in Sahara last year). Chem Bros, Orb, Roni Size, Groove Armada, Crystal Castles all have nothing really fresh for Coachella. There just seems to be a lack of artists with very fresh new material playing this year (new albums with a couple of months of fest). This was the year to get Royksopp, and even bring back the Prodigy or Phoenix as they have brand new material.

If she is gonna get billed as high as Amy Winehouse was that is an even bigger joke in my eyes...please at least give TV on the Radio the subheadliner spot and let MIA go before them.

bludevil007
03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
there are plenty of bands whose coachella sets were epic failures the first time around (i.e., Tokyo Police Club), doesnt mean i dont want to give them a second chance. Oh, and whatever you may think of her, MIA is more popular than Amy Winehouse now - not in the tabloids, but among music fans everywhere.

I still bet U2 is the late add, if there is one. Those guys must be so pissed that their new album was so poorly received, and they no longer matter. Lady Gaga is more popular than U2 - Bono must be cringing. Even though i have extreme dislike for U2, i wouldnt mind hearing a greatest hits session on the polo fields - at least for a while.

bludevil007
03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
I am just referring to the amount of artists billed fairly high with no new material...especially electronic/ dance music which you could file MIA under (she was in Sahara last year). Chem Bros, Orb, Roni Size, Groove Armada, Crystal Castles all have nothing really fresh for Coachella. There just seems to be a lack of artists with very fresh new material playing this year (new albums with a couple of months of fest). This was the year to get Royksopp, and even bring back the Prodigy or Phoenix as they have brand new material.

If she is gonna get billed as high as Amy Winehouse was that is an even bigger joke in my eyes...please at least give TV on the Radio the subheadliner spot and let MIA go before them.

i'm seeing the prodigy on thursday. cant wait.

Neutral Milk Hotel
03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
there are plenty of bands whose coachella sets were epic failures the first time around (i.e., Tokyo Police Club), doesnt mean i dont want to give them a second chance. Oh, and whatever you may think of her, MIA is more popular than Amy Winehouse now - not in the tabloids, but among music fans everywhere.

I still bet U2 is the late add, if there is one. Those guys must be so pissed that their new album was so poorly received, and they no longer matter. Lady Gaga is more popular than U2 - Bono must be cringing. Even though i have extreme dislike for U2, i wouldnt mind hearing a greatest hits session on the polo fields - at least for a while.

U2's manager said no festivals. Furthermore, the difference with M.I.A. is that she's actually a reliable and dynamic live performer; her set was unnecessarily screwed up because she was put in the Sahara for some reason. There's failures like this, and failures of bands who just don't bring it when it comes to live performance. The distinction needs to be made.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
U2's manager said no festivals. Furthermore, the difference with M.I.A. is that she's actually a reliable and dynamic live performer; her set was unnecessarily screwed up because she was put in the Sahara for some reason. There's failures like this, and failures of bands who just don't bring it when it comes to live performance. The distinction needs to be made.

FACT.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 07:11 AM
oh jesus

so everyone is an MIA fan too

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Sally Bear, I just wanted to let you know that I found a new Killers song that I LIKE.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
That you will what?

casey
03-20-2009, 07:17 AM
booooo!

buymarshon
03-20-2009, 07:20 AM
id be fine with M.I.A. on mainstage to make up for last year. shes better than winehouse.

betao
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
just another reason to avoid the mainstage on saturday night.

Jon Blazed
03-20-2009, 07:22 AM
When I saw her I thought she tore the place up. I took a few of my friends and they left half way through, to grab something to eat, and when I saw them later they said "We couldn't handle the gunshots"...I was like "what gunshots"

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:23 AM
That you will what?

That I like! Sorry, Still sleepy. A Dustland Fairytale is pretty friggin good for a Killers track.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
That I like! Sorry, Still sleepy. A Dustland Fairytale is pretty friggin good for a Killers track.

Please tell me you're joking. That's the only song on "Day & Age" that I DESPISE. LOATHE. HATE WITH A FIERY PASSION. I skip it every single time.

I cannot believe you like that song!!! I'm praying to god that they don't play it at Coachella

PierogiHead
03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Some people need to chill and lay off the hateorade about this add news. MIA for Winehouse is more than fair, especially this late in the game. If you were hoping for something like a reunion, then you're kinda dillusional. Any reunions would've been announced from the get-go. If you were hoping for something like a headlining-like act, then you can't read news articles like the one where Paul said to get used to The Killers as headliners.

If anything, MIA is doing this for all the right reasons. Her Twitter post looks like she's excited to be playing and she probably feels like she owes it to the crowd to make up for last year. Add to that, the lady just had a baby -- talk about work ethic. Upgrade x 10 from Winehouse who probably was running low on crack money when she signed on.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Please tell me you're joking. That's the only song on "Day & Age" that I DESPISE. LOATHE. HATE WITH A FIERY PASSION. I skip it every single time.

I cannot believe you like that song!!! I'm praying to god that they don't play it at Coachella

Sorry Sally Bear, that song is pretty good.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Do you like "Joy Ride"? (track 4)

And no, that song is fucking terrible Marco. Just awful

moomoo
03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
At least I'm actually probably gonna check out M.I.A whereas I would have stayed a thousand feet away from Winehouse, so GV is making good choices.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Do you like "Joy Ride"? (track 4)

And no, that song is fucking terrible Marco. Just awful

I will be honest a majority of the album isn't that bad. I listened to the whole thing on my long commute this week front to back.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Told ya so

:) glad you're coming 'round, my friend

scoop49er
03-20-2009, 07:33 AM
M.I.A is not a amazing add,but she now has a chance to do a epic set....... but if she goes in and is all bullshit, it will be a disaster......... this becomes a big moment for her so she better nail it...

same applied to the killers. alot of people are assuming they will pop bullshit but if they can play a decent set and be real about it, they can elevate themselves...

it will be a interesting saturday.....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 07:37 AM
MIA has saved Saturday for me.

moomoo
03-20-2009, 08:02 AM
there's gonna be a lot of dancing going down saturday. FUCKING BE THERE.

obzen
03-20-2009, 08:04 AM
M.I.A. is not getting added-she was fuckin playing last year for christ's sake!!
let someone else get added-fuckin bogarts-again.

Leeartlee
03-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Isn't this a done deal? Who is in charge of the Coachella twitter?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Dani is.

moomoo
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
M.I.A. is not getting added-she was fuckin playing last year for christ's sake!!
let someone else get added-fuckin bogarts-again.

www.twitter.com/coachella

Sushov23
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I fucking love you Goldenvoice. This add is great.

PassiveTheory
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
So she's gonna subheadline, right?

Sushov23
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
So she's gonna subheadline, right?

Already on the main page.

Grant
03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Throbbing Gristle's pretty up there on Sunday, and according to everyone's speculation they're playing the Mojave around 7. But with the whole Sahara tent fiasco last year, she'll definitely play the main.

zajaa
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I think M.I.A. would be a ridiculously perfect replacement for Amy Winehouse. ...

someone had to be right!! u got ur wish. mine too ^____^

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM

You're so disgusting

obzen
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
id fuck her:)

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
You're so disgusting

boarderwoozel3
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I can't tell if this is serious or some kind of non-conflict backhanded compliment. Which is it?

You're so disgusting
For real. Happy camping for the Killers.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Dude, I already see myself crouching down with my hands over my ears begging for her to stop with the gunshots.

:(

EDIT

*deep breath*

It's ok, Salah. You can do this. You sat through an entire decemberists set for the white stripes. I believe in you. You are a WINNER!

obzen
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
i hope you take so much fucking E while waiting for the killers that you get the runs and shit on yourself so that HazMat removes you from the front of the audience which subsequently ruins the killers set causing them break up shortly thereafter.:)

obzen
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
i really do.

sbessiso
03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
:lips

There's still a churro with your name on it

Sushov23
03-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I can't tell if this is serious or some kind of non-conflict backhanded compliment. Which is it?

For real. Happy camping for the Killers.

I am happy about M.I.A. playing to be honest. So no deeper/double meaning behind my post. Also Salad shut the fuck up.

crazzz2007
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM

what the hell does playing in the Sahara have to do with putting on a terrible performance?

SoulDischarge
03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
M.I.A. was lots of fun at Vegoose. "Boyz" is an instant fucking party. Recognize.

djandrews25
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
what the hell does playing in the Sahara have to do with putting on a terrible performance?

Nothing.

shakermaker113
03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I want to state my opinion once. I'm not going to bother with the other threads, just this one.

I am excited to see her again. last year was a trainwreck, yeah, and she's not lived it down. other times I've seen her she's been fucking awesome. I'm hoping she can redeem herself this year. she's been hinting at new material being almost ready, so I'm hoping for some of that too. regardless I'm stoked.

hate her all you like. it'll leave more room for me to enjoy it.

shakermaker113
03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
PS someone make a big banner saying "turn the fucking lights off" that we can hold up during her performance.