PDA

View Full Version : Cash-ola...

Merkabaman
03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
This is going to be my girlfriend and I's first Coachella, we're traveling from Washington state. We've already got gas calculated out and everything...was just wondering if anyone could let us know how much extra cash to bring for necessities based on previous year's prices. Any help would be appreciated. See you all there!

locachica73
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Last year was my first year. In between beer, food and water I spent probably $100 a day. If you don't plan on hanging in the beer tents then you can probably cut that in half. Then add extra if you want to buy other merchendise.

boarderwoozel3
03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
It depends on how much you're going to spend on merch, booze and drugs but I always buget $100/day too. I don't usually spend that much but just to be on the safe side. WA, FTW!

Cherita Chen
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Are you kidding me? $100 is so much! You can do it for way cheaper

boarderwoozel3
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
You can but, I prefer to play it safe.

tigermilkboy
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
always plan on having too much cash! previous years have seen long lines at ATM or ATM's running out of cash. Personally I avoid ATM's at festivals-you end up paying a transaction fee which can run up to $10.

gmoneyak
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Bring the cash to be safe, I usually bring about 60-80 bucks a day.

Just eat a big meal before the festival, bring in some snacks, drink mostly water vs. beer, and let the drugs take care of the rest. You'll be able to get by without blowing that wad.

Cdubby
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
100 bucks a day is what i did and came back home with plenty leftover

PrettyRagdoll
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Planning to spend $100 a day really is just the smart way to do it. That way if you make it through the week with money left over you can pat yourself on the back for your constraint.... And if you actually spend it all you can pat yourself on the back for staying within your spending limits. It's a win/win

Merkabaman
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
K, Thanks everybody

WilliamTaft
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
$30 a day. don't buy merch or beer. you'll be fine.

momof5
03-10-2009, 08:52 AM
$100 a day is plenty. That's my budget and usually have money left for sweatshirt and t's for the kids. And-if you have the cash and you get chilly you can but a sweatshirt and not need to carry one all day. You can save by turning in the empty bottles for water-but we usually drink 10 a day so if you pay-there is $20 right off the bat. Food is about $10 for a little meal so if you are hungry -walking and dancing can build up an appetite-easily $30 for food. The alcohol can really eat up the money fast -but for us with the heat and time to sit in the beer tent instead of at the music-we don't spend much money there!.So $100 a day is more than enough. OH-I recommend eating something at the end of the night especially if you are staying in a hotel. You may find yourself starving after the walk to the car. Most closeby fast food places are crowded and you can be sleeping the day off before room service arrives!

locachica73
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I only ate once a day at the festival. We would stop and have a big meal before hand, then eat again around 630 or 7 inside the festival. That usually worked for the day. But we did bring some cliff bars and other snacks just in case we got hungry. And we did sneak in our own booze as well as visited the beer gardens for a bit of time. And I still left each night with a little money in my pocket.

Cherita Chen
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm surprised so many people are on the $100/day bandwagon. Thats just so much money to me

locachica73
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
$100/day is my typical spending allowance for any vacation I go on. I do the same thing in Vegas although there the drinking is free as long as you gamble. So the $100 is usually for gambling. Then if I win (which i typically do) I take what I win and splurge on a nice meal for myself and whoever I am with.

Ravingmad
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised so many people are on the $100/day bandwagon. Thats just so much money to me

That's about what I'd budget for two people. Water/frozen lemonade/maybe an adult drink or two in the evening + two small meals a day (even if I eat before I come, I end up hungry enough to eat twice from the walking and dancing).

It's a little on the high side if you don't buy any merch, but I'd rather have too much cash budgeted than not enough.

mountmccabe
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I plan about $40 a day; half on hydration, half on food. Last year I spent less than that on water because when reasonable I refilled water bottles with the warm tap water that is free. I still sometimes really craved cool purified water and/or gatorade.

Merch would be on top of that; that all depends on what you want/can afford.

Alcohol is on top of that too but I don't really even think about it unless there's not a lot else going on as the evening winds down.

So I'm much more in the $100 per day is plenty for two people crowd... though the difference may just be the merch/alcohol.

natelan
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
How stupid is this thread?

Do you not have any comprehension of the current values of goods and services?

Is Washington state really that far back in the stone age that you can't mathematize your daily spending for Coachella?

Jesus...

OnlyNonStranger
03-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Is Washington state really that far back in the stone age that you can't mathematize your daily spending for Coachella?

Jesus...

In defense for the OP, you would have to agree, California can be a lot more expensive than other states. That and add on maybe they've never been to Coachella and don't know about how badly to expect being screwed on "price adjustments" for stuff that, like you know, falls from the sky.

murmur741
03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
You can get by very comfortably with a $60-$70/day budget (per person).

locachica73
03-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I had never been to coachella or any other music festival until last year. So I wasn't sure what to expect myself. I kind of just figured it would be similar to a concert or sporting event. Although $8/beer was a little more then I thought it would be, well for the size of the beer. When at a sporting event you spend $12/beer but it's a very large beer.

Fourthisto
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
This is going to be my girlfriend and I's first Coachella, we're traveling from Washington state. We've already got gas calculated out and everything...was just wondering if anyone could let us know how much extra cash to bring for necessities based on previous year's prices. As many have stated, food & water alone for the whole day may reach $40 per person quite easily.

Add merch or just random stuff you want to throw down coin for, and maybe its $60-80 per person.

It really depends on what you plan on getting there. And I agree with the "bring more than you need" crowd, because the ATMs can be a bit of a joke and who wants to wait in line for cash when you could be watching someone amazing preform? :)

adeline3
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
$100?!?! jesus.

1) hit up a grocery store before you set up camp. buy a flat of water bottles, some fruit, 100-cal snack packs, and ice. and maybe a pre-made sandwich for the evening if you're so inclined$25-$30. go to the ATM and get your money there.
2) assuming you're planning on getting to the campsite on thursday afternoon (as i do), get a nice lunch in you before you even enter. Real Food. you're gonna want it when you're lugging all your shit in and setting up camp. $15
3) Thursday Evening: nibble on your groceries.
4) Festival Days: HYDRATE in the morning. bring in bottles of water (last year security let in like 2 factory-sealed bottles per person or something) and a few snack packs. don't drink beer during the day. 1, its expensive and 2, it'll only dehydrate you.
Meals: For 1 full meal and one snack... $15
Drinks: 4 bottles of water and 2 beers... $25
get druuunk back at the campgrounds. or don't. i didn't actually drink during the festival last year... i didn't want to waste the money in the gardens. you save a lot of money that way. and i didn't buy merch. i spent like $150 the whole weekend.

heyeric
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
^ Yup

WhyTheLongFace
03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
umm it says no outside food or bev how are you guys getting small snack packs in? You can message me if you don't want the secret out

WilliamTaft
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
i still can't believe how many people are saying $100 a day is logical. we're not all little white trustfund kids. $30-$35 a day is perfectly fine. you can get plenty of water and a couple meals. and the meals will probably be in bigger portions than what you would normally eat at home. hell, i've never seen a veggie corndog so HUGE.

as for typical vacation spending, i usually spend $10-20 a day when i'm on the road, MAX. sometimes down to just like $6-$8 a day. unless i need to contribute to a gas fund. but that's not part of what you would need at coachella.

Fourthisto
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
umm it says no outside food or bev how are you guys getting small snack packs in? You can message me if you don't want the secret outYeah I think people are remembering last year's rules (or lack thereof) about bringing in drinks/snacks.

If you're camping I think you can bring whatever snacks and drinks into the campsite, but it looks like they are going to deny people trying to bring it into the actual festival.

Fourthisto
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
i still can't believe how many people are saying $100 a day is logical. we're not all little white trustfund kids. $30-$35 a day is perfectly fine. you can get plenty of water and a couple meals. I hear you, but when its a scorcher like it was five years ago, I spent $25-30 just for water alone, per day, for one person. Of course, the 10 empties for 1 full bottle recycling program helps with that. They are doing that again this year, right?

JustSteve
03-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Jesus...

it's their first time, asshat.

JustSteve
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
as for typical vacation spending, i usually spend $10-20 a day when i'm on the road, MAX. sometimes down to just like $6-$8 a day. unless i need to contribute to a gas fund. but that's not part of what you would need at coachella.

where do you sleep on vacation?

locachica73
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
i still can't believe how many people are saying $100 a day is logical. we're not all little white trustfund kids. $30-$35 a day is perfectly fine. you can get plenty of water and a couple meals. and the meals will probably be in bigger portions than what you would normally eat at home. hell, i've never seen a veggie corndog so HUGE.

I am not a little trust fun kid by any stretch of the imagination. But I work hard for my money, I get 1-2 vacations a year, I see no problem with $100/day when on vacation considering that is food/drink/water/fun. Also considering one night out at a bar can cost you $40 easy.

natelan
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
it's their first time, asshat.

First time spending money? And I'm the "asshat"?

They gon' get raped.

pocket
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
wow the $100 a day seems crazy. I spend around $10 a day at the festival but I always eat before the show and then drive to get food after. I rarely eat durring the festival incase the food goes bad in my stomach and I have to use the gross bathrooms, I have never had to drop a duce at the festival yet.

also the 10 water bottles for a new water is great and keeps down all cost of water. seriously just look at the ground in any tent after a band and you will find tons of bottles for free.

all cost at the fest is mainly if you spend money on beer or alcohol. and i guess if you eat a lot but eat before and after the show if you can hold off and your costs shouldnt be much.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I am not a little trust fun kid by any stretch of the imagination. But I work hard for my money, I get 1-2 vacations a year, I see no problem with $100/day when on vacation considering that is food/drink/water/fun. Also considering one night out at a bar can cost you $40 easy.

Same here. With my job it is VERY hard to get time off, soi when i do i like to live it up. I hate budgeting myself and not having as much fun as i could be when i'm out, especially at an event like this

Tijuana
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM

LOL at "we're not all little white trustfund kids". hahahahahahaha

A trust fund kid would have 500 per day.

$100 per day is the average if you want to have a good time.
$60 would be enough but at the end of the day you'll probably be wishing you brought the extra $40.

Cherita Chen
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
The more I think about it the more I like this $100/day thing. I don't think i'm going to go with quite that much but I've never budgeted myself per day like that. I do plan on spending the most money this year. I want a black keys, killers, cure and coachella shirt as well as some other goodies and we can't forget the party favors

locachica73
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
The $100/day does not include party favors... I usually buy that those here and pack them with me. That is one of the plus sides of being able to drive to coachella.

blakely
03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
yeah i try to never purchase at the polo fields. too sketchy

Cherita Chen
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Well I camp. If you can't trust party favors from random people who are camping with you at a music festival then what CAN you trust??

locachica73
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Well I did bring mine with me but only ended up smoking like half of one of the blunts I brought because random strangers kept getting me high in exchange for my pushy people blocking techniques and/or my sharing of the crown royal I had stashed on me.

tigermilkboy
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
The $100 a day thing is extreme but it takes care of most eventualities. I would rather budget for $100 a day than be left short.
If you come expecting to get thru the whole weekend on $100 then chances are you end up counting pennies and deciding to do without that bottle of water.
I don't think I've spent a $100 in a day at Coachella but I have bought a CD $15, drinks $30 and sometimes you have to eat so going thru $50 in a day is very easy. I would rather have $50 too much than run to the ATM and take out money-which costs more due to ATM charges.
I'd rather spend $100 a day and feel fed and watered, than spend $30 a day feeling constantly thirsty and hungry.

JustSteve
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
wow the $100 a day seems crazy. I spend around $10 a day at the festival but I always eat before the show and then drive to get food after. I rarely eat durring the festival incase the food goes bad in my stomach and I have to use the gross bathrooms, I have never had to drop a duce at the festival yet.

also the 10 water bottles for a new water is great and keeps down all cost of water. seriously just look at the ground in any tent after a band and you will find tons of bottles for free.

all cost at the fest is mainly if you spend money on beer or alcohol. and i guess if you eat a lot but eat before and after the show if you can hold off and your costs shouldnt be much.

no spicy pie? criminal!

one of the benefits of coming in through the back, no security. in the past i have had a case of beer and bottle of vodka in my backpack to start the day. this year there may be a little weed in there, too. i miss smoking it...

weezy f baby
03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I usually spend $200 a day at coachella cuz i drink like 10 vodka red bulls and eat and drink shittons of water. As far as eating... eating is for suckers. But I do like the meat on a sticks they have there for like $8. Pure protein to keep me dancing thru the night.

Also, a really clutch thing to do would be to eat like 3 cliff bars before entering the festival. Thoses babies keep you truckin for a while.

instinct
03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Last year was my first year. In between beer, food and water I spent probably $100 a day. If you don't plan on hanging in the beer tents then you can probably cut that in half. Then add extra if you want to buy other merchendise.

you spents $50 a day on water and food?? I spent maybe $20.

Fourthisto
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
where do you sleep on vacation?Apparently in a van down by the river....

Sonicifyouwantit
03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Are you kidding me? $100 is so much! You can do it for way cheaper

yeah, hence the if you don't plan on being in the beer garden all day comment...

$100/day is pretty much the average of any vacation if you plan on eating three meals per day plus alcohol and entertainment.

yes you can go budget

Sonicifyouwantit
03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
you spents $50 a day on water and food?? I spent maybe $20.

$20 would account for my water not food though...and not averaging out my t-shirts and gas and all the other fun stuff.

WilliamTaft
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
The $100 a day thing is extreme but it takes care of most eventualities. I would rather budget for $100 a day than be left short.
If you come expecting to get thru the whole weekend on $100 then chances are you end up counting pennies and deciding to do without that bottle of water.
I don't think I've spent a $100 in a day at Coachella but I have bought a CD $15, drinks $30 and sometimes you have to eat so going thru $50 in a day is very easy. I would rather have $50 too much than run to the ATM and take out money-which costs more due to ATM charges.
I'd rather spend $100 a day and feel fed and watered, than spend $30 a day feeling constantly thirsty and hungry.
you can buy soooo much water. let's look at it this way:

water= $2
so to buy 8 bottles (the average amount a human is supposed to drink in one day): $16. but you may need more so let's so $20 for water to be safe.

food= let's say $5 average?
so eat one small meal (banana and muffin from gas station) before entering, that's like $2. eat again at 2 or 3pm, that's $5. eat dinner at 7 or 8pm, that's $5. then eat something you packed in your car after you leave.

that's everything you need for just over $30. then bring an extra $10 for luxuries like an extra snack.

as for everything else: CDs? download them. or just buy it on itunes for like $3 if you'r not into illegal downloading. t-shirts? don't bother. the memories that you have of the weekend will be much more interesting than a souvenier.

where do you sleep on vacation?

i usually have 3 options:

-in the car (easiest, least comfortable)
-camp (FUN! but most difficult)
-at friend's house (many of my friends have moved to various locations up and down the west coast, so this is convenient in a lot of places)

and it's all free.

some of you say that if you don't want to use a lot of money then you are "restricted" and on a budget. but i say this: try going from one end of the country to the next while relying on money as little as possible. you'll find yourself trying new things and finding unique ways to have fun and you'll cherish these times much more than you would cherish memories of a hotel, bar, club, etc.

karecares
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
does anyone recall if the merch stands took credit or were they cash only?

WilliamTaft
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
cash only. that's why they can rip your guts so much at the ATMs.

JustSteve
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
i thought they took credit last year.

JustSteve
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM

-at friend's house (many of my friends have moved to various locations up and down the west coast, so this is convenient in a lot of places)

and it's all free.

guess we enjoy different types of vacations.

tigermilkboy
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=WilliamTaft;1076430]you can buy soooo much water. let's look at it this way:

water= $2
so to buy 8 bottles (the average amount a human is supposed to drink in one day): $16. but you may need more so let's so $20 for water to be safe.

food= let's say $5 average?
so eat one small meal (banana and muffin from gas station) before entering, that's like $2. eat again at 2 or 3pm, that's $5. eat dinner at 7 or 8pm, that's $5. then eat something you packed in your car after you leave.

that's everything you need for just over $30. then bring an extra $10 for luxuries like an extra snack.

as for everything else: CDs? download them. or just buy it on itunes for like $3 if you'r not into illegal downloading. t-shirts? don't bother. the memories that you have of the weekend will be much more interesting than a souvenier.

and it's all free.

Well you say a lot there but you are still spending a lot! Funny enough I like to drink something other than water-usually a Red Bull or two in the morning. Even if you eat in the morning at a gas station you are still spending money. Yes, you are spending less of it but thats all the same money.
The thing I find is that most people under budget at festivals and spend most of their cash in the first couple of days and end up running to ATM's or cutting costs to scrape thru. My feeling is that it is better to bring extra because there is usually a item you need (sunscreen, hat, change of undies).
The fact is all these retail opportunities at Coachella go in part to keeping down costs. If no-one bought stuff, you can bet the tickets prices increase.

Sure you can cut costs-collect water bottles, drink/eat less but it is about feeling good. And not having to worry about not having enough money to last a weekend is a good feeling.

gooftroop
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
It just comes down to what you want to get really. $100 would mean I would buy at least 2 shirts a day, remember to all they cost at least $30 each. Some advice for cutting down costs:

Bring in a water bottle (they allow one sealed one) or a camlebak if you are crafty. Refill with free water and ice from drink stands, buy a new one or two when needed (camelbak comes in real handy here, between me and my girlfriend we spent no more than $30 on hydration all weekend).

Don't drink a lot of alcohol, that runs up a tab real quick and you have to stay in a fenced in area. Save it for the night at least.

If you're into that kind of thing spend some cash-ola on some other party favors, always more bang for your buck. I must STRONGLY advise those on this board though to be VERY wary of people selling stuff in the campgrounds. I have had 2 friends get bunk shit, nothing good yet. I always bring my own because I can trust it.

FOOD: Split meals whenever possible so you can buy the big plates. Food ranges from $5-$10 but trust me splitting the big plates will get you more full. You can eat 3 times a day for $15 and you will be satisfied, if you can eat before hand maybe you can get this down to 2 (it is 12 hours though remember).

MERCH: Choose wisely, get what you want early.

Also it must be noted that any range of budget has acceptance at Coachella but I don't see what the point is on trying to make it through with $10 a day. You are spending at least $300 for tickets, money for travel (hopefully less, possibly more), and whatever on your choice of lodging...Coachella is not cheap. If you've already spent $600-$1000 making it happen why would you then want to punish yourself with a $10 limit? Smoke em if you got em, I'm a penny pincher but I'll let loose for Coachella, especially for party favors and Food, which I think are both absolutely delicious at Coachella.

cheers :D