PDA

View Full Version : The Chemical Brothers (Live vs DJ Set)

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Ok people, the rumor is that IF the chemical brothers get to be added. It will be a DJ SET.

Has anyone experience both, the dj set and the live show?
how big is the difference?

I saw Justice Live (Amazing!!), Dj Set (Is Crap!!)

I know that the add is not been made, but maybe we can put some preasure on GV, so they dont get so cheap and pay in full for a Live Show.

GoldenVoice MAKE IT HAPPEN!! LIVEEEEEEEEEEEE!

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Difference between Justice doing a dj set and The Chems doing one is that The Chem know how to Dj. Justice couldnt match a beat if their lives depended on it, Their Mixing is sloppy at best also.

frozen pilgrim
03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
agreed.
not to mention that whole "faking" debaucle. I know they say they plugged the akai back in right away, but just the look on gaspard's face and the way he was still flicking at stuff... I find it hard to believe he wasn't faking. they wouldn't be the first.
I'm envious of their live rig though. $5000 of lemurs

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
agreed.
not to mention that whole "faking" debaucle. I know they say they plugged the akai back in right away, but just the look on gaspard's face and the way he was still flicking at stuff... I find it hard to believe he wasn't faking. they wouldn't be the first.
I'm envious of their live rig though. $5000 of lemurs

I am positive he would have know as soon as that came unplugged if he had it on.....but thats a hole different story.

I think the Chems wold kill a dj set but I would much rather see a live set.

You guys all bitch about seeing a dj set but you will see 90% of the Sahara acts do dj sets and dont bitch about that....

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Difference between Justice doing a dj set and The Chems doing one is that The Chem know how to Dj. Justice couldnt match a beat if their lives depended on it, Their Mixing is sloppy at best also.

Word on that.
The Chemical Brothers been playin for like 18 years..

But still how big will it be the diference? Dj set and Live?
Can't believe that GV will actually cheap out on the 10th aniversary.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Word on that.
The Chemical Brothers been playin for like 18 years..

But still how big will it be the diference? Dj set and Live?
Can't believe that GV will actually cheap out on the 10th aniversary.

The only difference is that they will not be playing just their tunes....It will sound the same, some of you might even have more fun with a dj set since they will drops some unexpected tracks and remixes.

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
You guys all bitch about seeing a dj set but you will see 90% of the Sahara acts do dj sets and dont bitch about that....

Because none of them are that good. They dont make a big diference Dj set or Live, they dont have like 10 albumns performn live to, they just pick random songs and play it.

Distorted_Jungle
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Not trying to dick ride justice or anything but you guys must not have seen or heard many Justice DJ Sets. I have downloaded quite a few and i will admit not all of them are dope, but the ones that are good are fuckin sick. I saw them do a bad ass DJ set at Ultra last year.

But on the actual topic of the thread i would rather see them do a live set, because i have heard nothing good about a chemical brothers DJ set. One of my friends who is a big fan of what they do as producers, but said as DJ's they can't really mix that well. I would enjoy seeing either one though.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Because none of them are that good. They dont make a big diference Dj set or Live, they dont have like 10 albumns performn live to, they just pick random songs and play it.

Not at all.....

Maybe thats true with all these new "electro" chumps that seem to be every hipster fav act but I would say just about every act in the Sahara could set up a Live PA if they wanted to do it......Its really not that hard.

menikmati
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Why waste time with a chems DJ set?

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
But on the actual topic of the thread i would rather see them do a live set, because i have heard nothing good about a chemical brothers DJ set. One of my friends who is a big fan of what they do as producers, but said as DJ's they can't really mix that well. I would enjoy seeing either one though.

This is true with a lot of big time producers that I have seen before but I have not seen the The Chems do a dj set just live.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
word...I have seen a Chems DJ set and it sucked..Live they kill....

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM

why waste time with a live set.....its all pre recorded and they are just dropping samples and loops they made years ago....

???

You can argue either way on this and get no where

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 11:03 AM

So you dont go in the Sahara unless a live act is playing?

menikmati
03-06-2009, 11:07 AM
So you dont go in the Sahara unless a live act is playing?

No you don't get it. This is the Chemical Brothers...known for creating albums of their own work and performing LIVE. Why bother booking them if they're not gonna play a full live set, which is what everyone wants. If you're just gonna book a DJ set, then why not just book some smaller DJs then? If you're gonna spend time and energy and money on bringing a huge act like the Chems in, then at least make it live.

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I will go either way... dj set or live.

But for people that is their first time, i think it wil be a much better first experience to see them perform live.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
No you don't get it. This is the Chemical Brothers...known for creating albums of their own work and performing LIVE. Why bother booking them if they're not gonna play a full live set, which is what everyone wants. If you're just gonna book a DJ set, then why not just book some smaller DJs then? If you're gonna spend time and energy and money on bringing a huge act like the Chems in, then at least make it live.

I will tell you why, cause most people dont know the difference and it will sell tickets either way. With a dj set they spend a lot less and still sell the same number of tickets. I am not disagreeing with you but just playing both sides.

Mcoppel

AGREE...

I mean if the booking is like $70,000 for a dj set a live act is like $80,000. Its not that much of a diference for a promotore to book a dj set to a live set.

Golden Voice is just cheaping out.

jtovar21
I've seen The Chemical Brothers DJ twice, once at Coachella 2001 and another at Audiotistic 2003 if memory serves me correct, at the Coliseum. They completely tore it up each time. I'll never forget how loud and crazy they were during 2001 Coachella! They had the whole tent in a pandemonium. Both Fatboy and The Chems really brought it down that year!

As much as I do enjoy their live sets ( which I have seen now 5 times), it'll be welcoming for an actual DJ set from them again.

And yes....they are much, much better than Justice DJ sets.

HEADSTRUCK
I will go either way... dj set or live.

my point exactly Eric

Cdubby
03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
The only difference is that they will not be playing just their tunes....It will sound the same, some of you might even have more fun with a dj set since they will drops some unexpected tracks and remixes.

what would be fun for me is to hear strictly their material and have some cool visuals to go with it...... live for me please

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll just be happy if they get added.

deeznutz
03-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd check out either, but if they play live I know of one person who will make the trip to coachella just for that. I calculated it out and a live set would be like 4.2 zillion times better.

jtovar21
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Why not make it a poll?

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28041

digitalmau5
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I saw the Chemical Brothers at Nocturnal 07 and they were AMAZING. I wouldn't want them to play a DJ set at Coachella, but I wouldn't mind it if they did since i've already seem them do a live set.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I've only seen their live set (at nocturnal 2007) it was great and it's what I've been hoping for again.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Why not book something a little more rare....seem like they have played socal quite a bit over the years

deeznutz
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
BOARDS OF CANADA

insbordnat
03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I've seen/heard 3 DJ sets from the Chems. One was Coachella 2001?, the other being Audiotistic, and the last was a radio broadcast.

The Audiotistic and radio broadcast sets were really disappointing. Imagine Brothers Gonna Work it Out and Live at the Social played intermittently. In fact, there were like 4 songs back to back that were directly off of BGWIO. And their mixing skills are really crap.

Live please. With visuals by Vegetable Vision.

psychoc&ndy
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
as much as i would like a live set, a dj set im sure would be fucking awesome. are you people forgetting that good djing and mixing is a skill and art form of itself? you're discrediting them as putting on a good show if they just "dj". lets see you just "dj"

feather
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I will still watch the Chems DJ set over anything Coachella weekend. Live would be my preference, but bringing Tom and Ed to me is all that matters.

Boourns
03-06-2009, 02:06 PM
as much as i would like a live set, a dj set im sure would be fucking awesome. are you people forgetting that good djing and mixing is a skill and art form of itself? you're discrediting them as putting on a good show if they just "dj". lets see you just "dj"

Yeah, but why have hamburger when you can have steak?

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
A dj set is better than no set at all.

JorgeC
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
LIVE, por favor.

instinct
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I've seen them live once and never a dj set.. I'd still MUCH MUCH rather have a live set.. The Visuals are just fucking awesome, plus I want to see the chemical brothers because I like THEIR Music.

If it's a live set and they are anything like the crystal method dj sets, I will be so pissed.

Lurker_in_a_tree
03-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Fuck, not this again.

If it's just a worthless DJ set they shouldn't even be put on the poster.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh boo fucking hoo.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
lol

i hope they dont play at all

WhyTheLongFace
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
I'll just be happy if they get added.

This.

Lurker_in_a_tree
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh boo fucking hoo.

Just because you pussies will swallow any jizz Goldenvoice chokes you on doesn't mean the rest of us will fall for such lame shit.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Just because you pussies will swallow any jizz Goldenvoice chokes you on doesn't mean the rest of us will fall for such lame shit.

UGH IM SO FUCKING PISSED. HOW DARE GOLDENVOICE NOT BOOK WHAT I WANT. ARRGGG!!

Brickhouse
03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Seen Chems live 5 or 6 times over the years (including Coachella 02 and 05) and of course loved it.

Saw a Chems DJ set here in Chicago in 2002 or 03 at a place called Transit. It was not that impressive and I recall several noticeable trainwrecks.

That being said, I strangely look forward to them doing a DJ set this time around. I've seen the live show and wouldn't mind changing it up and seeing if they can deliver with the DJ set this time around (and do a little redeeming).

Somehow I just think a DJ performance at Coachella won't compare (thankfully) to what I saw in that 500 person club and they'll be on point. Personally, it'll be nice to try and experience something different than what I've already seen from them in Indio.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
ARggg sooo pissed!!!

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Seen Chems live 5 or 6 times over the years (including Coachella 02 and 05) and of course loved it.

Saw a Chems DJ set here in Chicago in 2002 or 03 at a place called Transit. It was not that impressive and I recall several noticeable trainwrecks.

That being said, I strangely look forward to them doing a DJ set this time around. I've seen the live show and wouldn't mind changing it up and seeing if they can deliver with the DJ set this time around (and do a little redeeming).

Somehow I just think a DJ performance at Coachella won't compare (thankfully) to what I saw in that 500 person club and they'll be on point. Personally, it'll be nice to try and experience something different than what I've already seen from them in Indio.

did you see them in chicago when they played that arena with sasha and digweed back around 2002ish?

Lurker_in_a_tree
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM

it's not that, you fucking retard.
You don't book a band known for it's outstanding live sets and cut corners by having them do a shitty little DJ set because they believe cunts like you will never know the difference.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I've actually seen both. NICE TRY though.

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM

THEY ARE ALREADY BOOKING IT DUMBASS, BUT THEY WANT TO SAVE A COUPLE OF BUCKS.... FROM GREAT LIVE ACT, TO SHITTY DJ SET.

WHEN THEY ARE MAKING A HUGE PROFIT OUT OF THIS BAND, SO THIS THREAD, IS FOR MAYBE GOLDEN VOICE WONT CHEAP OUT....AND PAY THE FULL LIVE ACT.

Lurker_in_a_tree
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
And you're still so dumb that you'd find a DJ set acceptable, at a festival that's supposed to be setting the standard for electronic music in the Sahara.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Sarcasm not your forte?

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:13 PM
And you're still so dumb that you'd find a DJ set acceptable, at a festival that's supposed to be setting the standard for electronic music in the Sahara.

Or maybe I just don't let it bother me to the point of a fucking brain aneurysm.

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I'ts one of the main acts, is the fuckin' 10th aniversary, there is a lack of electronic acts all weekend for this year, so why in the world would you book them for a DJ SET instead of a LIVE SHOW with hardcore visuals...??

And people say they will go either way, its stupid.

Bosco
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
THEY ARE ALREADY BOOKING IT DUMBASS, BUT THEY WANT TO SAVE A COUPLE OF BUCKS.... FROM GREAT LIVE ACT, TO SHITTY DJ SET.

WHEN THEY ARE MAKING A HUGE PROFIT OUT OF THIS BAND, SO THIS THREAD, IS FOR MAYBE GOLDEN VOICE WONT CHEAP OUT....AND PAY THE FULL LIVE ACT.

Have you ever considered maybe it's the artist's decision on how they want to play?

orbit
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
they should just play ableton and put giant visuals. people would go crazy thinking it's a live set.

Bosco
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Seriously, maybe if they did a DJ set with Robot masks they'll make up for the lack of a Live Set...

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Have you ever considered maybe it's the artist's decision on how they want to play?

ehh... they have been for like 20 years i think they have a live act pretty much reharse by now.
I'm a promotor, and this artist they always have the option of dj set or live act, is just a matter of money, thats what pissed me off... GV knows that most people dont mind or dont know the diference betwen a live act and a dj set, so they just save a couple of bucks and go for the dj set.

A dj set anybody can do it, a live act is your own material and its actual instruments, visuals, and you actually put some efford to it.

If its a dj set by the chemical brothers, boyz noise probably can do it equaly or better.

Bosco
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
ehh... they have been for like 20 years i think they have a live act pretty much reharse by now.
I'm a promotor, and this artist they always have the option of dj set or live act, is just a matter of money, thats what pissed me off... GV knows that most people dont mind or dont know the diference betwen a live act and a dj set, so they just save a couple of bucks and go for the dj set.

A dj set anybody can do it, a live act is your own material and its actual instruments, visuals, and you actually put some efford to it.

If its a dj set by the chemical brothers, boyz noise probably can do it equaly or better.

You're right, I now feel cheated that Paul McCartney is solo rather then his orginal Beatles group. Fuck you Goldenvoice! You Cheap Bastards!

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
You're right, I now feel cheated that Paul McCartney is solo rather then his orginal Beatles group. Fuck you Goldenvoice! You Cheap Bastards!

Lol.

And the whole "anybody can do a DJ set" is bullshit.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Lol.

And the whole "anybody can do a DJ set" is bullshit.

no shit...have you seen justice try? lol

WhyTheLongFace
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
A dj set anybody can do it

Mcoppel(DJ set) for COACHELLA 2010! JOIN THE MOVEMENT!

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
DJ whythelongface!

Bosco
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I dont understand why you people are labeling them as bad DJ's either. Is it because they go beyond the realm of house music?

I know I'm probably one the most biased Chems fan here....but Trainwrecks? I dont think so.

WhyTheLongFace
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Turntable Tag Team Match

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist Vs. Dale Gribble & Boomhauer

The Sahara will melt. MELT I SAY!

Mcoppel
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Mcoppel(DJ set) for COACHELLA 2010! JOIN THE MOVEMENT!

I MENT ANY DJ ..... DUMBASS...

Very few djs have live acts, and the ones that have live acts they usually play them. They dont want to play other artist tunes in a fukin dj set.

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Very few djs have live acts, and the ones that have live acts they usually play them. They dont want to play other artist tunes in a fukin dj set.

You have to be the most genius promoter in music history.

WhyTheLongFace
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM

So you meant any DJ can do a DJ set? If that isn't the most intelligent statement I ever heard then I don't know what is. You're so cool. Add me on Myspace I'll put you on my top.

Boourns
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I doubt Goldenvoice specifically asked the Chems to play a DJ set, it's just what they want to do at that particular time. I don't know much about their DJ set, but I'd be down with checking it out, if scheduling permits this. Which it won't if they play Friday. But the live set with the visuals is what I am dying to see.

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
light monkeys

HEADSTRUCK
03-06-2009, 04:52 PM

R U kidding????....most live acts I have ever seen also do dj sets

JustSteve
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
it's not that, you fucking retard.
You don't book a band known for it's outstanding live sets and cut corners by having them do a shitty little DJ set because they believe cunts like you will never know the difference.

because goldenvoice gets to demand what they do? maybe the artist has a say? you dumbfuck? yes, you dumbfuck.

edit: oops, bosco beat me to it.

edit: you are still a dumbfuck.

CrimesceneCookie
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
If they're hiring them, of course they can.

How is this hard to understand?

earlgrey
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I dont understand why you people are labeling them as bad DJ's either. Is it because they go beyond the realm of house music?

Word!
I love that 'balearic' sound!

Bosco
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Inchemwetrust. I found you!

heyeric
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
the chems!

pixelsan
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/coachelladigital/issue1/#/2

Don't know if this is a reputable source, but it seems to support the idea that they'll be playing a DJ set.... and the ORB will be there too? Huh, that's actually pretty cool.

EVillSD
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
CHEMICAL BROTHERS AT THE OUTDOOR THEATER STAGE!

heyeric
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
What? NO. Sahara tent please, haha.

Mcoppel
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
really don't think they will be playing in the mainstage with a dj set, they will probably be on the sahara tent closing saturday.

And no fancy visual either.

Mcoppel
03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
The Chemical Brothers appearance is a DJ set only, meaning they will be playing other material besides their own catalog of dance-floor staples in a more casual performance devoid of all the bells and whistles.

- http://www.thechemicalbrothers.com/home

No extravagant performance.... no visuals, no instruments, no mainstage