PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Free Camping in Nat'l Forests ??

3hitsaday
02-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I have taken many a roadtrip over the years, criss-crossing the states in an attempt to see everything marvelous there is to see outdoors. I once spent 4 months on the road all over the west and maybe 1 or 2 nights did i ever pay for an established campground. Most of the times i would be driving and find a pulloff in a National Forest or wilderness area somewhere and pull back on dirt roads to find other free spots others have used over the years.

Obviously i dont want people to post their secret spots because these have to be limited. But am i naive to assume that in this area of California, especially the highways leading through the mountains headed west from Coachella that there would possibly be some of these spots within a reasonable driving distance to the festival?

bot73
02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
There's a lot of BLM land all around Indio/Coachella, so there's plenty of free camping to be had in the area. Joshua Tree NP directs overflow campers to the BLM area just south of I-10 across from the NP southern entrance.

gaypalmsprings
11-07-2009, 07:26 AM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/funny-dog-pictures-alternate-universe-dog.jpg