PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Nobody has said anything about them being the best band out there right now, in a while. Is it still true?

fober
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Lock this thread until the new album is released.

Worthless discussion for now.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
fuck it, ill say it.. theyre the best by far. i mean cummon..

Al De La Funkus
02-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Agreed.

James
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM

you answered you own question in your own thread. smooth, lol

hangthedj112
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Pretty much., new songs = amazing.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Not as smooth as your AIM screename. lol. "kornwascool"? when was this?

Pemakarpo
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Radiohead hasn't put out an album since 2003. And while I liked Hail to the Thief, I don't give it a 9.9/10 (like pitchfork somehow did). I think that Radiohead is still plenty capable of being the best band in the world but RIGHT NOW i think that title belongs to someone else. Who that is is a toughter question and more objective. I am in love with TVOTR.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
good argument. and I will counter.

Radiohead is the best band out there. If you dont believe me put on one of their albums, then put on TVOTR. Then put yourself in a place of complete and utter honesty..a state of true reality and then answer the question...

Who's the best band out there right now?

I think you, as well as myself will be pleasantly surprised.

CurableOkie
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Noooo

Hail to the Thief is still phenomenal. After I saw them play songs from it live in 2004, pretty much cemented that fact.

Yes they are the best band right now, because when was the last time they put out a bad album? 1993 if you conisder Pablo Honey to be "bad", but aside from that you have The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac & Hail to the Thief

5 albums, all of which will be on my list of best albums i've ever heard

Haven't even heard their new songs, but it doesn't matter. They can release the worst album of their career and still be the best band that is still making music

suprefan
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
good argument. and I will counter.

Radiohead is the best band out there. If you dont believe me put on one of their albums, then put on TVOTR. Then put yourself in a place of complete and utter honesty..a state of true reality and then answer the question...

Who's the best band out there right now?

I think you, as well as myself will be pleasantly surprised.

Lock the thread. They are the best out there and its pointless to argue this yet again. They are not playing this year, Thom is not performing solo. End of discussion.....

James
02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Not as smooth as your AIM screename. lol. "kornwascool"? when was this?
uhhhhhh.... hmm. I made that screenname back in jr high, so like 8 years ago or so I'd say, lol.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Personally I enjoy discussing it...apparently the "end of discussion" guy doesn't. Does the "end of discussion" guy have a point? Yes. Is he bossy and trying to ruin my Radiohead fun,..pretty much ya.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey I was just teasin ya Kornguy. No harm meant.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Maybe Im the only person in this crazy world that cant get past the fact that nothing new even comes close to Radiohead. Not even anything in the lsst 20 years really. You have to get into the 70's before you find better albums, or even comparable albums

James
02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey I was just teasin ya Kornguy. No harm meant.
and none taken :)

CurableOkie
02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe Im the only person in this crazy world that cant get past the fact that nothing new even comes close to Radiohead. Not even anything in the lsst 20 years really. You have to get into the 70's before you find better albums, or even comparable albums

This is truthful to an extent. Going as far back to the 70s may be stretching it, but Radiohead's albums do have longevity, they really don't get old. Even songs like Idioteque which I've heard hundreds of times always delivers, so unique.

But yah, I can give you an album from the 80s that could compare...

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
anything Pixies
Joy Division - Closer

And I'm sure there are plenty from the 90s to mention, but as far as now (being 2007), Radiohead take the cake and eat it too.

Al De La Funkus
02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Radiohead has always shown a continued growth and exploration of their artform with every album they've released, coupled with their ability to make commercially successful records it makes them the best band today.
They can put out what they want and the industry has to accept it and sell it, because we will continue to consume whatever they release.
Being the symbol of brandiose music eletists everywehre has a lot of benefits.

Foppie
02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Don't rule them out yet...

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
anything Pixies
Joy Division - Closer

good albums. and depending on your taste..great albums. but as you said yourself Radiohead albums never get old. Youve got to agree that the albums you mentioned are good but not truly in the same ballpark as these below.

Ok Computer
Kid A

roscoemule
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes they are the best band right now, because when was the last time they put out a bad album? 1993 if you conisder Pablo Honey to be "bad", ...

How the FUCK could anyone consider Pablo Honey to "bad?" I absolutely love that album!!!

snowgirl_69
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM

here here, totally agree!!

FakePlasticMe
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Radiohead hasn't put out an album since 2003. And while I liked Hail to the Thief, I don't give it a 9.9/10 (like pitchfork somehow did). I think that Radiohead is still plenty capable of being the best band in the world but RIGHT NOW i think that title belongs to someone else. Who that is is a toughter question and more objective. I am in love with TVOTR.

Actually, it was a 9.3. However, just because they are a near-flawless band isn't Pitchfork's fault.

I saw the last tour, I've heard the new stuff live, it's fantastic.

They aren't going anywhere yet.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
The new stuff is amazing, not to mention theyre amazing live. I dont even know if I would care as much about music in general if it werent for Radiohead. in 1997 Radiohead renewed my faith in the future of music...since that day in 97 the world of music has been a better place...because of that album alone.

tonegent
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
TV on the Radio?!?!?

It is absolutely laughable that someone would consider them to be anywhere near Radiohead's caliber. Saw them this summer and they kinda sounded like a black My Bloody Valentine cover band. Meh.

You can have your cute little Indie flavors of the week. The simple fact though is that Radiohead is better at music than anybody. Period.

CurableOkie
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
The new stuff is amazing, not to mention theyre amazing live. I dont even know if I would care as much about music in general if it werent for Radiohead. in 1997 Radiohead renewed my faith in the future of music...since that day in 97 the world of music has been a better place...because of that album alone.

I was in 5th grade when I got that album.

Nothing even compares.

Lt. Dangel
02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok Computer couldnt have come at a better time either. The world was becoming more and more alienating almost exponentially with every passing year. Then Kid A shows up and reminds us that its only going to get worse, but that we're not alone. Then Amnesiac..wow! Im still wandering those dark hallways wondering whats behind the next door with the new album coming out later this year.

I must say, Unbridled Capitalism hasnt brought about a whole lotta good, but it sure as hell brought us the best band ever....

humanoid
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a great love (ok it's an obsession, I admit it) with music from mulitiple eras and diverse genres, and I can unequivocally say Radiohead is by far my favorite band....

I just listened to Ok Computer & The Bends for the last 2 hours of my work day, and it made the office experience so much more enjoyable

bartelby
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
radiohead is the best band in the world by a wide margin....even in their weakest shows (ie. coachella) they've blown me away to a level unmatched by any other band

there's pretty much no chance they'd play this year but if GV could get thom to come out and play the eraser i'd be forever grateful!

Philthy
02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Ugh.....this is so boring.

vinylmartyr
02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
You people need to broaden your musical interest. Radiohead is good but damn.

bartelby
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
jeeeeezzz - try and show some love for your fav band and you boys get your panties in a knot....

no one in this thread has said anything that assumes that we only listen to radiohead - only that they're the best band out there in our opinion....

get off your fucking high horse and artificially inflate your postcount elsewhere please...

Natelevmofuggaz
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I'd rather have Radiohead then RHCP.

woogie846
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Radiohead is not playing, the headliners are cah-put.

Lt. Dangel
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Speaking at the Grammy Awards, Christina Aguilera confessed she listens to Radiohead when having sex.

Her own music is a turn-off when she is having sex with husband Jordan Bratman. Christina explained, "I'd be too busy analyzing my own voice. I get very nitpicky. I like listening to Thom Yorke from Radiohead. That's good sexy-time music."

musicfan66
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Radiohead the best band?

If you were to ask me in 1998, without a question it would be yes. Now? I'm not so sure. The Bends and OK Computer were probably two of the best CD's in the 90's, but I haven't been too excited with what they have put out since OK Computer. I've seen them three times, and all were excellent. My favorite performance though would have to be when I saw them at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas in 1996 before they exploded in poularity when they were still an opening band (yeah, for Soul Asylum no less!). They played pretty much everything from The Bends and one or two from OK Computer. Now, it's lucky if they play one from Bends.

I was about to give up on them after they put out Amnesiac, but they redeemed themselves a bit with Hail to the Thief. The new material (at least what I have heard) sounds pretty good, and looking forward to hearing the rest.

SometimesNJ
02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
i dont think radiohead will play coachella anytime soon. he was really depressed after the 2004 performance.

suprefan
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Personally I enjoy discussing it...apparently the "end of discussion" guy doesn't. Does the "end of discussion" guy have a point? Yes. Is he bossy and trying to ruin my Radiohead fun,..pretty much ya.

I dont like discussing the same old thing that can be found on atease and greenplastic. And those rumors are dead. Why dont we start talking when the new album comes out, wel leaks if we are being realistic. I will be more open to discussion because this has no relevancy for the moment. And I am HUGE Radiohead fan and dont wanna hear about it yet again on here...

bartelby
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
if you don't like discussing it why are you posting in this thread?

bartelby
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
just curious, that's all...

the goat
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Another thing thats so amazing about them is that they now have a huge catalog of great songs when they play live. I went to both Berkeley shows last summer & they played a total of 47 songs (23 Fri, 24 Sat) over the two nights. 5 of the new songs were played both nights (Arpeggi, Down is the New Up, Nude, Bangers n' Mash, & 15 Step). Aside from that the only repeat was Everything in its Right Place. So 41 different songs in just two nights. Glorious!

roscoemule
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I went to both shows in San Diego. It's amazing how different they were from each other. Yet equally amazing. I've got the soundboard mix from the first night and listen to it all the time. Brings back so many happy memories. =)

oicuhave12
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
if you don't like discussing it why are you posting in this thread?

i was wondering the same thing too......

goatparade
02-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Lt. Dangel....I love what you said about unbridled capitalism...great quote.

Now come on people we all know Radiohead is the best band in the world right now so there is no need to debate...lets get to the real debate...

KID A or OK COMPUTER?

(I'm a Kid A guy but just by a smiidgen.)

bartelby
02-16-2007, 08:14 AM
now that's a good question...

hmmmmmm - i think i'd have to go with KidA as well simply cause I love how the songs go over live...

microcuts
02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
anything Pixies

most. overrated. band. ever.

ThomThom
02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Lt. Dangel....I love what you said about unbridled capitalism...great quote.

Now come on people we all know Radiohead is the best band in the world right now so there is no need to debate...lets get to the real debate...

KID A or OK COMPUTER?

(I'm a Kid A guy but just by a smiidgen.)

When I think of my youth and when I started getting into music... OK Computer, when I think about how my life has evolved from that point up to right now... Kid A...damnit this is going to be hard.

Alligator Bogaloo
03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Nobody has said anything about them being the best band out there right now, in a while. Is it still true?

Still true.

Harrisment
03-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Still true.

You fucking asshole.

Alchemy
05-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Radiohead came out in Onion News. (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/radiohead_denies_influencing_local?utm_source=a-section)

MissingPerson
05-23-2009, 02:22 PM
That was indeed awesome.

But after chartering a private jet from England to Ohio to watch a Hitler Hairdo show, the space-rock megastars became even more convinced that they could not have shaped any part of the band's songwriting ethos.

"They were less like us live than they were in their abysmal online demos, if that's even possible," Greenwood told reporters. "If that bridge in their fourth song was supposed to be an homage to the cold, esoteric sounds of Hail To The Thief, they missed the mark by a mile. We stayed for the whole thing, and I heard not one ethereal exploration of alienation and longing, no textured soundscapes or sparse, clanging percussion sequences evoking an abandoned playground in winter. Nothing."

rage patton
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
People were talking about Radiohead headlining in 2007 too? Even though Bjork, RHCP and Rage were anounced? Wow.

Pixiessp
05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I think there has been chatter about them headlining since 2005.

I can only imagine.

amyzzz
05-23-2009, 04:05 PM
We stayed for the whole thing, and I heard not one ethereal exploration of alienation and longing, no textured soundscapes or sparse, clanging percussion sequences evoking an abandoned playground in winter. Nothing.buahahahaha

TomAz
05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
When asked for comment, the band Coldplay—also listed by Hitler Hairdo as an influence—told reporters they were "very flattered" and "love those guys."

ahahahahahahaha

bleep
05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Radiohead-Denies-R.jpg

Boourns
05-23-2009, 06:21 PM
"To be perfectly honest, I think they sound much more like Oasis," Yorke told the magazine. "Or maybe some shit pop band, like the Killers. Their only similarity to us is that they've made their music available for free online, and that hardly counts. After listening to every one of their songs and poring over all of their lyrics, I can say without hesitation that Radiohead has never influenced this band in any way, shape, or form."

Oh man, ahahahaha.

Alchemy
05-23-2009, 06:33 PM
I love how they're listed as a different genre each time it's mentioned.

TallGuyCM
07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
New Thom Yorke song:

http://stereogum.com/archives/new-thom-yorke---all-for-the-best-stereogum-premie_079431.html#more

Very Eraser-like.

BlackSwan
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
It's a cover, to be exact.

TallGuyCM
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but that's obvious if you read the article on the page. Although I probably should have clarified.

BlackSwan
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, there was a "holy shit" moment when I first read your post like, "How the fuck did I not know about this?" Then I went to linked page and was like, "Oh yeah, the cover."

TallGuyCM
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Ha yeah.

BlackSwan
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Holy shit. I finally listened to the song and it's fucking great.

bobert
07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty amazing song. The story behind the album is really sad - you can tell Thom took that to heart.

obzen
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Even Thom Yorke thinks The Killers are shit.

buddy
07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
hadn't seen this posted yet. its the 1997 Glastonbury full performance. filmed from the crowd, but the audio is great.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxHVQOfksM0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxHVQOfksM0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>