PDA

View Full Version : Thread for Gabe and Justin To Talk Shit About Pro Football

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think the fantasy thread was ever created here; please don't kill me, Dani.

Anyway, this is our NFL thread, which of course means that Justin and I will be lording over all of you because we're the ones who know which football team is best (the Broncos). Granted, there's a good 4 months to go until anything interesting happens, but I need a forum to discuss what happened last night.

First item of business: Marty gets Schott-canned. Ha ha!

TomAz
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
has Plummer been released yet?

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
No. He's going to get traded to the Texans. I can just feel it.

TomAz
02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
or the Bears.

bug on your lip
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
i'll tell you what to feel & when to feel it

TomAz
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
oh.. the Kubiak thing. yeah the Texans.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Bug, your Vikings would be lucky to have Plummer as their starting quarterback.

The key to your sports prowess is money. You are a skilled gambler, and have shown a tendency to make the right wager in most if not all cases. Take away the stakes, and you're left with nothing (see: calling the Purple Reign to make the playoffs this year).

Mine is just the opposite. Putting money on anything guarantees that I will not get my wish.

Therefore, I bet you the Broncos will not win the Super Bowl this year.

downingthief
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Bug, your Vikings would be lucky to have Plummer as their starting quarterback.

The key to your sports prowess is money. You are a skilled gambler, and have shown a tendency to make the right wager in most if not all cases. Take away the stakes, and you're left with nothing (see: calling the Purple Reign to make the playoffs this year).

Mine is just the opposite. Putting money on anything guarantees that I will not get my wish.

Therefore, I bet you the Broncos will not win the Super Bowl this year.

I want in on that action!

DeltaSigChi4
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Marty gets Schott-canned. Ha ha!

No matter who your favourite team is, or how much you despise the San Diego Chargers, I find nothing amusing about that matter. In fact, I am utterly disgusted by it. What was that team's regular season record again? Give me a fucking break. Personal differences. Fire the goddamn GM, not the head coach that improved that pathetic franchise like non other. Goddammit, just writing this is pissing me off. Fuck the Chargers' owner, fuck the Chargers' GM, but most of all ... fuck the Chargers' fans for allowing such horseshit to transpire. Don't buy season tickets. Boycott any memorabilia. Throw molotov cocktails at the stadium.

Do something.

E

P.S. I am not a Chargers fan, but a Buffalo Bills fan. America's Team.

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah. Front office effed up big with this one.

I want Denny Green now.

summerkid
02-13-2007, 11:33 AM
No matter who your favourite team is, or how much you despise the San Diego Chargers, I find nothing amusing about that matter. In fact, I am utterly disgusted by it. What was that team's regular season record again? Give me a fucking break. Personal differences. Fire the goddamn GM, not the head coach that improved that pathetic franchise like non other. Goddammit, just writing this is pissing me off. Fuck the Chargers' owner, fuck the Chargers' GM, but most of all ... fuck the Chargers' fans for allowing such horseshit to transpire. Don't buy season tickets. Boycott any memorabilia. Throw molotov cocktails at the stadium.

Do something.

E

Why would we do that? We had the most talented team in the league and we underachieved. We lost some great coordinators whom were really running the show last year. Early on Marty relinquished the playcalling duties to Cam Cameron and gave him complete control and Wade was always running the D. Marty wanted to hire his brother as the defensive coordinator...uh sorry marty that's not going to happen. He was a lame duck coache anyways its time to rebuild the coaching staff after the mass exodus. Bring on Mike Singletary as HC please.

J~$$$
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
There is only one reason the Charges did anything this season.......LT. Without him they are complete shit.

"Marty holds the distinction of being the NFL coach with the most wins to never coach a team in a Super Bowl."

He probably ran his mouth about how he could take it to the limit, unfortunatly he can't and never will.

fober
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Marty is nothing without his coordinators, just like Elway was nothing without Terrell Davis (w00t cheap shot).

Marlon McRee is Marty's fuming unemployment.

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 11:36 AM
At least the Chargers made the playoffs, won the divison.
More than the Broncos can say..

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Do something.

E

So you're saying A.J. Smith's impeccable drafting and trading records didn't play a part in the Chargers' undeniable ascent into the elite ranks? And that he was more expendable than a coach who has historically found ways to cough on his own nuts in the postseason?

I'm a Broncos fan. This move pleases me to no end because a team that brings back none of their key coaches is a team that has a super-steep uphill climb. And I hate Schottenheimer from years of rivalries (Cleveland and Chiefs until the present). But even throwing all of that out - they made the right move. Smith has given Schottenheimer the most stacked team possible in the salary cap era. He's brilliantly managed the rosters and contracts to make sure that no hole goes unplugged. He's snowed everyone who's had the idiocy to attempt a trade with him. And what's he got to show for it? 0-2 in the playoffs, and a guy who's a monumental pain in the ass to deal with.

The only stupidity in this move is that it wasn't done earlier, when they could have retained either one of their coordinators or another strong candidate for the position. Now, they're going to have to either talk two old-school Schottenheimer-like guys (Cowher and Parcells) out of retirement, or hire someone who every other team (except the Raiders, who didn't exactly have their pick of the litter) passed on. Sure, the Chargers position is probably the best one in the league, aside from the immediate expectations. But it's going to take a pretty sweet offer to draw someone who deserves it.

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Marty was a players coach. The guys on the team really liked him alot.

It's scary thinking whats going to happen to the chemistry if we bring in the wrong guy.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
At least the Chargers made the playoffs, won the divison.
More than the Broncos can say..

Call us when you win two Super Bowls. Or when you put up the best record in the league for 10 straight seasons.

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 11:39 AM
OH NO!!!!

Trophy polish!!!!

summerkid
02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
There is only one reason the Charges did anything this season.......LT. Without him they are complete shit.

"Marty holds the distinction of being the NFL coach with the most wins to never coach a team in a Super Bowl."

He probably ran his mouth about how he could take it to the limit, unfortunatly he can't and never will.

tell that to the other 10 or so probowlers. Granted would they be as good of course not but you can say that about nearly any playoff team in the AFC. without Peyton the Colts would be shit, Without Brady the Pats would be shit, without LJ the Chiefs would be shit.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Just sayin'.

http://static.flickr.com/34/90073664_595bf20aab_o.jpg

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
tell that to the other 10 or so probowlers. Granted would they be as good of course not but you can say that about nearly any playoff team in the AFC. without Peyton the Colts would be shit, Without Brady the Pats would be shit, without LJ the Chiefs would be shit.

The Chiefs are shit anyway.

summerkid
02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I would rather have Mike Singletary as my HC than either Cam or Wade personally. The man's going to make a great headcoach one day c'mon chargers make the move (i dont think they will)

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 11:43 AM
All I think of this situation, is that the front office should've done something sooner when there were more legitimate coaches out there.

I could honestly care less who they pick as coach or whatever else happens this offseason....

if only we don't waste the talent we have now, and before LT leaves his prime.

J~$$$
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Norv Turner or Pete Carroll, may provide SD with the trophy, but I dont see it happening.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
For the record, I don't think the Chargers should have fired anybody. But if you're going to do someone in, you can the guy who's lower on the totem pole and has a worse track record (not that Schottenheimer's is bad overall, but it's not as good as Smith's).

Singletary may very well be an excellent head coach, but this season is going to be rough for the Chargers, having to bring in both coordinators to go along with the top dog. With as young of a team as they have, they're going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to keep those guys on the same path that they were on the last three years.

bug on your lip
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
If you want to talk real football, come see me

If you want to talk about patty cake, please see schoolio & Justin (whoever that is, probably a made up "bronco-backer")

full on idle
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
misogynist.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
If you want to talk real football, come see me

If you want to talk about patty cake, please see schoolio & Justin (whoever that is, probably a made up "bronco-backer")

bug, meet J~$$$. Formerly mmmmdoughnuts from the old board. His name is Justin, he lives in Denver, and he's one of the chosen people (i.e., Bronco fans).

There's really no excuse for you not to know this.

bug on your lip
02-13-2007, 12:16 PM
i know who mmmmdoughnuts is, but i haven't seen him post here

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes you have.

Norv Turner or Pete Carroll, may provide SD with the trophy, but I dont see it happening.

TomAz
02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Fire the goddamn GM, not the head coach

they fired the right guy.

hey maybe now Norm Chow will finally get a HC job?

chunk
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
i was hoping chow would go to the cardinals.

TomAz
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I like that we got Whisenhunt. I really like that we got Whisenhunt and Grimm.

Sean Salisbury is saying the Chargers should hire Dennis Green. If they do that you might as well crown their asses. ha ha.

chunk
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
the cardinals actually had a chance at the playoffs during greens first year till he started playing musical chairs with his quarterbacks.
i know its hard for coaches to have their college experience translate to the next level, but chow had leinart playing like a god when he was there. i was hoping for similar success.
people on local radio are saying aj smith wants somebody he knows and trusts and most likely someone not high profile. maybe a coach from buffalo.

TomAz
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
DG ruined his chances in Az the day his first training camp started when he cut Pete Kendall. story goes that in the offseason camps DG's OL coach was introducing the new schemes and Kendall kept pointing out to the coach how the schemes wouldn't work. OL coach is feeling like he's been shown up and so DG cuts Kendall, who signs with the Jets and makes the Pro Bowl that season. meanwhile we all know about the state of the Cards OL. and turns out Kendall was right about the schemes and the OL coach got fired midseason.

J~$$$
02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I cannot believe that houston is remotely considering douchebag plummer.

chunk
02-13-2007, 12:41 PM
he got fired right after that sack on monday night football against the bears. one the most painful experiences of my life.

enough. no more thinking about that.

next year, 10 - 6 at least.

TomAz
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I was there.

chunk
02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
ouch. i saw most of the game, but had to listen to the end on the radio.

the announcer actually called the kick good before saying "no, no, wait, its not good."

fober
02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
next year, 10 - 6 at least.

Generally, I would laugh in your face and throw pudding at it afterwards.

This time though, the Cards actually have the easiest schedule in the league next year.

The Bears had it last year and look how far it got them (opponent's winning percentage was 41% for fuck's sake).

Anything is possible in the mediocrity that is the NFC.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I cannot believe that houston is remotely considering douchebag plummer.

I can, and here's why.

The only reason Plummer failed in Denver is because he's not a Super Bowl level quarterback. Denver is not a town that's going to settle for a 10 win season and a playoff exit every season; therefore, Plummer's head was being called for prematurely. That doesn't change the fact that he's a solid QB who many teams in the league (such as the Texans) would be upgrading themselves to acquire. If he goes to Houston and they make the playoffs (which is a possibility in the next couple years), he'll be the toast of the town. Combine that with the fact that Kubiak is the one best suited to get through to him, and the fact that Carr seems to have been ruined by being hit so many times so young in his career, and this is a no-brainer.

chunk
02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
kubiak passed on young and leinart to consider bush because he liked what he saw in carr.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, and then he benched him for Sage Rosenfels when he saw what he had in Carr. Trust me, the Texans are in the hunt for a new QB.

mob roulette
02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
hahahaha. football!

homos.

also there is a hemorrhoidal ointment called anusol that you could use on your lazy fat american arses if you'd only put down the remote for a fucking second.

this is randy ricochet, by the way.

chunk
02-13-2007, 01:18 PM
that hunt for a new qb officially makes their 2006 draft the worst draft ever by any team. and this is a cardinals fan saying this. (cliff stoudt)

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 01:41 PM
They did okay. They picked up a good DE and a better LB. That's nowhere near on the level of catastrophe as the year that Oakland picked Robert Gallery at #2.

chunk
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
a new DE they are paying more in guaranteed money to than reggie bush. the raiders also picked sam huff over leinart last year.

summerkid
02-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I like that we got Whisenhunt. I really like that we got Whisenhunt and Grimm.

Sean Salisbury is saying the Chargers should hire Dennis Green. If they do that you might as well crown their asses. ha ha.

Oh good ole Salisbury I can always count on him for a laugh. Chargers should hir Denny Green, they should have fired AJ Smith. lol you so funny. Rex Ryan is a name bouncing around and let me tell you I like it.

downingthief
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
DG ruined his chances in Az the day his first training camp started when he cut Pete Kendall. story goes that in the offseason camps DG's OL coach was introducing the new schemes and Kendall kept pointing out to the coach how the schemes wouldn't work. OL coach is feeling like he's been shown up and so DG cuts Kendall, who signs with the Jets and makes the Pro Bowl that season. meanwhile we all know about the state of the Cards OL. and turns out Kendall was right about the schemes and the OL coach got fired midseason.

So true about Kendall. His assistant coaching choices were pathetic, too. Glad to see him go.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
a new DE they are paying more in guaranteed money to than reggie bush. the raiders also picked sam huff over leinart last year.

Michael Huff. Every Raiders draft the last 5 years has been abominable.

chunk
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
that was bad. sam huff started playing before there even was a raiders.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459

OH HAPPY DAY!

OH & Dre Bly!!!!! whats up now bitches?

and they traded for George Foster hahahahahahahahaha......and Tatum Bell which kind of sucks but whateva.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Joey Porter got released yesterday. 31 teams are drooling.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I like the fact that Dallas came to their senses and released Bledsoe. Parcells was so in love with that guy......but Wade phillips, another dallas mistake.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
i can't understand the rationale of replacing a good relatively young QB like David Carr with an older Jake Plummer. It's been known since their franchise began that their biggest woe is their wretched excuse for an offensive line.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
and I should have read that probable retirement article first. I still maintain that axeing Carr is borderline retarded at best.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I dont' understand why Plummer would want to retire. Tampa's a good situation for him, and $5 mill is nothing to sneeze at.

dorkfish
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I also hope that the 49ers pick up Joe Horn so they can not waste a 1st and 2nd round draft pick on drafting a risky receiver.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont' understand why Plummer would want to retire. Tampa's a good situation for him, and $5 mill is nothing to sneeze at.

Theres a chance he might be second string.....he does not want to damage his fragile ego.

TomAz
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll be second string for $5 mill. Hell, I'd be third string for $5 thou.

J~$$$
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Ya but its Plummer this should be taken into the pride, ego, arrogance thread.

dorkfish
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Jake Plummer and Jeff Garcia both to Tampa Bay. If Plummer doesn't retire, Simms should be concerned.

Titans release RB Travis Henry

Texans sign WR Andre Johnson to extension

Redskins agree to terms with boat-scandling CB Fred Smoot

CB Nate Clements signs $80 million for 49ers

schoolofruckus
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
The Broncos are going to end up with a good, name RB this offseason. I can feel it. Either Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, or (my preference) Thomas Jones will be a Bronco by draft time. If it's Jamal Lewis, I'm going to be pissed, but I don't think Shanahan is that stupid. I'd take any of the other three, though McGahee would have to get his head on straight before coming to town or it wouldn't work out.

I'm kind of hoping the Broncos draft Michael Bush, but if they commit money to any of the guys above, there's no way they can afford to pay 2nd round RB money (which Bush would have to be).

If they get one of those three RB's and Patrick Kerney (a major possibility) and Daniel Graham (another possibility), I say they package all their picks and try to swap with Detroit again so they can take Calvin Johnson. That would give a whole new meaning to "Christmas in April".

dorkfish
03-03-2007, 09:30 PM
eh, if you want a previously crippled back, why not just pick up McGahee instead of drafting Michael Bush?

every mock i've seen has Denver going defense crazy, so they might just put their guns on Patrick Kerney.

schoolofruckus
03-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Oh, absolutely. Put it this way - if Kerney wants to be a Bronco, he will be. He's familiar with the new D-line coach that Denver just hired, so he fits the scheme. He went to Seattle today to hear their push, but Denver basically tried to keep him in town all day yesterday and into this morning to get him to sign.

I like McGahee, but I feel like he's a bit of a head case. He would possibly be my first choice if not for that. But Thomas Jones would be a fucking Pro Bowler in Denver. He's thrived in a zone-block scheme, which Denver does best. He's a great blocker. He's a tough bastard, a hard runner, and a good team guy to boot. I don't think he ever got a fair shake in Chicago; Cedric Benson is a punk and I doubt he'll ever be the running back that Thomas Jones already is. I'm dying to see him put on a Broncos uniform.

full on idle
03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Gabe are you gonna do NCAA brackets again this year

full on idle
03-03-2007, 11:24 PM
for basketball I mean, just catching your eye here in the football thread

TomAz
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
49ers overpaid for Clements. IMO. I was hoping the Cardinals would get him but that price is ridiculous. I know only $22 mil guaranteed but still.

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Gabe are you gonna do NCAA brackets again this year

I don't think I organized this one last year...I believe that's Chris' gig. Either way, one of us will for sure.

La Ferrassie
03-04-2007, 08:47 AM
The arena football season started yesterday.

fober
03-04-2007, 10:18 AM
The arena football season started yesterday.

hahahahahahahah

mountmccabe
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I was watching NFL scouting combines earlier this morning after the West Ham-Tottingham EPL match went to half. I was really tired.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 10:58 AM
This pleases me (even though Gabe hates him)

Ashley Lelie: Signs With 49ers

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I was kind of hoping he would go to the Raiders. At least the Niners didn't pay that much for him.

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I also hope that the 49ers pick up Joe Horn so they can not waste a 1st and 2nd round draft pick on drafting a risky receiver.

Brad, are you telling me you wouldn't be thrilled if the Niners were to score Calvin Johnson? Not that they would be able to get him, but dude....even I am rooting somewhere in my heart that Denver finds a way to get him, even though - contrary to public opinion - they're in good shape at receiver with Walker and Brandon Marshall. That dude is going to be tremendous if he goes to the right team and doesn't get hurt.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I agree that my Niners are overpaying in the longrun, but they're doing a great job strengthening their DBs.

I don't think that it bodes well for the Broncos that Kerney is still shopping around.

I'd gladly take Calvin Johnson, but I've never even consider the 49ers having a chance to get him. Dwayne Jarret will be at best Arnaz Battle. Ted Ginn Jr has the skill set of Darren Sproles. Nobody seems too legit beyond Calvin. New Orleans proved that you can get lucky deeper in the draft at the WR. I bet the Lions tempt fate and take CJ, though.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm calling it now. Ashley Lelie will have a career year. He is more talented than Bernard Berrian, so he should near the 1000yd/10td mark.

mountmccabe
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I bet the Lions tempt fate and take CJ, though.
That's not funny.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I think it speaks very poorly of the Lions receivers coaches that they allowed so much talent to flop. That, or they had a cancerous locker room that creates head cases.

I guarantee any of their top draft receivers could have become pro bowl calliber receivers in a different system.

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I won't be distraught if Kerney signs with the Seahawks. He's 30, he's somewhat injury-prone, and it's not like he was Reggie White to begin with. But I hope he makes the right call and becomes a Bronco. He could really help.

I will, however, be very displeased if the Broncos don't land McGahee, Jones, or Henry.

Lelie may indeed have his best season. I told my friend Alex (a Niner fan himself) last night that I think Alex Smith is the best passer Lelie's ever played with, considering that his other options are Plummer and Vick. But while he is more physically gifted than Bernard Berrian, let's also keep in mind that he's also more talented than Rod Smith, Deion Branch, and every receiver on the Colts. It hasn't translated to much thus far. SF better hope that their new offensive coordinator is a serviceable replacement to Norv Turner, who made a dumbass decision coming to a team with such high expectations when he's a known stiff as a head coach. I was thrilled when he took that Chargers job, because now I don't have to worry about that (fearsomely stacked) team for the next few years. Bye bye, LDT's prime; hello, multiple AFC West championships for Denver.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Willis McGahee is said to be worth a 3rd round pick in the trade. Seems like they'd have jumped on it already if it wasn't for some sort of odd contract demands on his part. He is a head case and all, as you said.

I heard that Ahman Green is supposed to come visit the Broncos this week. I hope they don't go that route.

Supposedly, they're also close to signing Daniel Graham.

summerkid
03-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I think Green signed with Houston.

dorkfish
03-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah. I just saw the news story. Poor Texans. They can do better than that. Guess they won't go after Adrian Peterson in the draft.

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I breathed a sigh of relief when the Texans signed Green. He did visit Denver this weekend, and I didn't like the sound of that at all. I wish the Texans wouldn't have wasted all that money on him, either. He's 30, he's banged-up, he's got butterfingers. He's not a good fit no matter how bad-ass he was once upon a time.

The Broncos are going positively apeshit on their free agent visits. They have Travis Henry in right now, and apparently they're bringing Correll Buckhalter in as well. I guess they're going to explore every avenue.

I doubt McGahee is that easy to acquire. He'd probably command two mid-level picks, at least. I still think it might be worth it. Maybe the Broncos are waiting to see how many free agents they can sign before they go giving all these draft picks away, which isn't a bad move. I've heard the Bills aren't in a rush to trade McGahee, and that it will probably happen more around draft time.

DeltaSigChi4
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Is this an official thread???

E

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
No. I'm with Tessa. This new "Official" trend sucks.

DeltaSigChi4
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Hardly anyone complained about the BEST OF madness that overtook the damn board.

I don't want to hear it.

E

schoolofruckus
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
If you don't want to hear it, don't ask. The "BEST OF" trend sucks too. You don't see me starting any of those threads. The "Official" thing, I started with the "Ultimate Animal Rivalry" thread back in the day, but now it's gotten co-opted by the stupids.

dorkfish
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
not a packers fan, but:

Vernand Morency: Tops Packers' RB Depth Chart

ugh...

schoolofruckus
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, that's not good for anybody.

schoolofruckus
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
In other news, the Broncos have their new running back (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788592).

As long as he doesn't get high anymore, I think this will work out great.

dorkfish
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I was never a fan of Travis Henry.

dorkfish
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Joey Harrington and Randy McMichael are no longer with the Miami Dolphins.

Cardinals resigned Shipp.

Titans agree to terms with veteran QB Kerry Collins on new contract

Donte Stallworth: Reportedly in NFL's Substance Abuse Program

schoolofruckus
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Good day for Jets fans - they landed Thomas Jones. They'll be in the playoffs again if they continue to build their defense.

dorkfish
03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Broncos have a new TE.

J~$$$
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
hell yes a denver native.

J~$$$
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Bly wants out he wants to play for washington.

schoolofruckus
03-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't think that's nearly as true as everyone thinks. The report started with a Washington Post blogger who couldn't offer even a single annonymous quote to back it up. He said "several NFL sources have told us...". Meanwhile, the Denver Post has statements from Bly's mom and agent saying that he didn't say that and that he's excited to come to a winning team.

I hope it's not true. If it is true, the Broncos should try to swap Bly and their 1st round pick (#21) for, say, Shawn Springs, plus the Redskins' #1 pick (#6 overall). I'd take that in a heartbeat.

TomAz
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Denver was scheduled to have free agent cornerback David Macklin visit yesterday.

don't do it. even for depth. do not do it. that guy's nickname is "toast".

downingthief
03-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Denver was scheduled to have free agent cornerback David Macklin visit yesterday.

don't do it. even for depth. do not do it. that guy's nickname is "toast".

I second that. Stay away!

schoolofruckus
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
He would be a back-up, at best. Foxworth would start over him.

downingthief
03-07-2007, 01:54 PM
He would be a back-up, at best. Foxworth would start over him.

He's a special teamer, at best. Dude is way slow.
And, $15 million guaranteed for a slightly better than average TE? Wow...

infect ME
03-07-2007, 02:10 PM
not a packers fan, but:

Vernand Morency: Tops Packers' RB Depth Chart

ugh...

As a Packer fan, this frightens me. I'm hoping we pick up Marshawn Lynch in the draft.

schoolofruckus
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
He's a special teamer, at best. Dude is way slow.
And, $15 million guaranteed for a slightly better than average TE? Wow...

I think Graham will be a big help on offense. He's a better blocker than any tight end Denver has now, and he and Tony Scheffler (Jay Cutler's best friend on the team) will make for two great receiving options at TE. To me, the Broncos can now put on the field two receivers (Javon Walker and Brandon Marshall, another guy with whom Cutler has great chemistry) and two tight ends who can all make plays in the passing game.

Also, the Broncos just inked Patrick Ramsey to back up Cutler. Perfect back-up option - he came cheap (2 years, $4.5 million), he's talented enough to plug a hole but not enough to stir controversy, and he seems to understand the role he's taking on.

I'm loving this offseason for Denver. If these guys play to potential - especially Dre Bly, who hopefully will understand that Denver is a much better place to be than DC, and Travis Henry, who hopefully takes the "high" out of "rocky mountain high" - then the "win one for Darrent and Damien" campaign will be a whole lot easier.

Also, Jamal Lewis is going to the Cleveland Browns. And the Ravens are the front-runners to add Willis McGahee. That last part bums me out, as I think Willis is good, and I hate the fucking Ravens.

I Am Tom Waits
03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
how scary is Miami's 3-4 defense, now? Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Joey Porter...

schoolofruckus
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
It's pretty nice, assuming those guys don't hit a wall anytime soon. They're all playing at a pretty high level, so nothing really suggests that they'll age quickly.

dorkfish
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
looks like Horn is becoming a Falcon.

i still believe that Jamal Lewis can return to his old form.

boarderwoozel3
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
My 49ers are doing a good job in the free agent market thus far. We bought ourself a quality secondary, a decent WR, and we're adding depth in the front 7. I hope our draft looks like this.
1. D-line
2. WR

We're no pushover anymore people, ask the seahawks about that!

dorkfish
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Ravens sign McGahee.

TomAz
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I didn't even know Torry Holt had a brother in the NFL.

dorkfish
03-09-2007, 10:16 AM
It's Raiders day:

Dominic Rhodes left the Colts for the Raiders.

Randy Moss might be traded to the Buccaneers in a packaged trade involving Jake Plummer. If that's the case, Calvin Johnson will likely be wearing Silver and Black.

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow. Somehow, the Raiders may get an offense overnight.

Doesn't matter.

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Actually, fuck that. As much as I'd like to see Plummer go somewhere and do well (he deserves to, after three solid pre-Cutler years in Denver), I think I could balance out my disappointment with the pleasure of getting to watch Yablo cheer for the Snake, who he has derided the entire time I've known him.

bradley
03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
More ex-Broncos news:
Reuben Droughns, Cleveland's only 1,000-yard rusher since 1985, was traded Friday to the New York Giants, who need a feature running back following Tiki Barber's retirement.

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I think Droughns is a good back, but his best days (his last Denver season and his first Cleveland season) are probably behind him. I also still think the Giants will be in great shape with Brandon Jacobs taking over the primary rushing duties.

dorkfish
03-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Also, sucks for you that Kerney signed with the Seahawks. Maybe Broncos will go for the sloppy thirds of Grant Wistrom. I bet my 49ers pick him up, though...

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
The Broncos will not get Grant Wistrom.

Frankly, I don't mind them not getting Kearny. He isn't worth the money they were offering him; with his injury history, his age, and his apparent retardation (i.e., wanting to play for the Seahawks rather than the Broncos), he wouldn't have solved the Broncos' pass-rushing problems. The draft has an overload of potentially great defensive ends, so I'd say they're better off picking a sack machine there. It was much more important, in my opinion, to get a dependable starting RB, a good cornerback, and a good back-up QB. They got all of those, plus Daniel Graham, who seems like he will be a huge help in both the running and the passing games.

dorkfish
03-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope the 49ers take Amobi Okoye in the draft. I'm amazed that he barely cracks the top 15 on most drafts. To be so young and so strong...it seems like an absolute investment to have someone who wouldn't peak for 10 years as a D-linemen.

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, and since they're building their team extremely young, it wouldn't be a bad call. But still, drafting an 18 year old (isn't he 18?) to play in the NFL is a pretty risky idea.

If the Broncos move up, I'd like them to make a run at Reggie Nelson or (if, say, they get the Skins' #6 pick in a deal for Dre' Bly) LaRon Landry, even though their biggest need is at DE.

dorkfish
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Okoye's been playing above his age for his whole life. He was all-state in high school as a 14 or 15 year old senior.

55 tackles and 8 sacks with a schedule that finished with 4 teams ranked in the top 20, including holding Miami to 100 total rushing yards.

I wouldn't be too concerned about him being 19. He'll be 6'1 and about 325lb. Big enough and still young enough to play quick.

codytwo
03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Aren't you supposed to be talking shit about all this?

schoolofruckus
03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I hate the Seahawks. I can't wait until the day that Shaun Alexander's knees give out; I only hope it's a hit delivered by Al Wilson that does the trick.

There, is that better?

dorkfish
03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
The Pats signed Donte' Stallworth. If their defense doesn't crumble, that'll make up for the lack of complete offensive-edge that they were missing last year.

dorkfish
03-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Not many free-agent backs left, TJ Duckett went to the Lions

dorkfish
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Lots of Bronco signings:

Patrick Ramsey
Brandon Stokley

non-Bronco, Seahawk Patrick Kerney's house gets you raped.

schoolofruckus
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah, the Broncos seem to want to sign free agents on offense and cover defense in the draft. If they can keep Bly and move up to get Gaines Adams or LaRon Landry, that would be terrific.

codytwo
03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I hate the Seahawks. I can't wait until the day that Shaun Alexander's knees give out; I only hope it's a hit delivered by Al Wilson that does the trick.

There, is that better?

Chances are he will get run over by Jerramy Stevens' drunk ass first. And yes. Much better.

codytwo
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Raiders suck. Angels suck. 9ers suck.

dorkfish
03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
The Washington Redskins have agreed to trade safety Adam Archuleta to the Chicago Bears for a conditional sixth-round draft pick, NFL.com reported Tuesday.

fober
03-21-2007, 06:10 AM
hahahah stupid Redskins.

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 07:38 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/schultzykins/Beeyah.jpg

André
03-21-2007, 07:43 AM
THE Eagles rule all!!! best team ever!

Brain D - best player ever!

menikmati
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm giving Gruden one more year.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
THE Eagles rule all!!! best team ever!

Brain D - best player ever!

Taking over the crown from the last team to get to the verge of a championship for four years straight, only to choke - The Buffalo Bills of the early 90's!

Jim K - best QB ever!

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Erik, if the Bucs draft Calvin Johnson, I think Gruden will be earning a new lease on his career.

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Javon Walker
Brandon Stokley
Rod Smith
Brandon Marshall
Quincy Morgan
other bit players and benched folks

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Put Marshall between Walker and Stokley and that's basically the depth chart.

And don't forget to include Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler, who are both extremely capable receiving options at tight end.

I'm so fucking excited for this season.

Brad, where are the Niners drafting in the first round this year? And do they have a surplus of late round picks? They should be trying to trade for Detroit's #2 pick so they can take Johnson as well.

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I think Rod maybe done.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I guess it depends on how Stokley's Achilles tendon recovers. I think Rod has one more solid - not spectacular - year left. Then, hopefully you and I can go to Glendale, AZ and watch them win the Super Bowl!

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh not hopefully. Definitely.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I think it comes down to two things.

1. Dre' Bly needs to get his head out of his ass. He'll have a 10 interception season in this defense. And they'll take care of him financially if he does.

2. They should make some noise in the draft. Move up and get Gaines Adams or LaRon Landry. Shop those later picks; they've got plenty of depth at every position except defensive backfield, so they don't need to load up in the draft. Just get 1-2 smart high picks.

They do these things, then Rod Smith can retire a 3-time NFL champ.

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I completly agree about Bly. I just hope he does not have an attitude problem, there will be a lot of focus on him because of the loss of Darrett. The Broncos always do make noise in the draft even if it is picking players that no one else will touch. Mike Shanahan's is huge on giving second chances.

I really hope that Rod can go out on a high note this year.

Oh & btw im doing work on mike Shanahan's new home its fucking huge. Ill post pics when its complete im guessing by July.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
NICE! I'd love to see photos of that. I've never been inside the house of a genius before.

downingthief
03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I guess it depends on how Stokley's Achilles tendon recovers. I think Rod has one more solid - not spectacular - year left. Then, hopefully you and I can go to Glendale, AZ and watch them win the Super Bowl!

Come on down, Gabe. Plenty of places to crash, with all the Zonies on the board. Although, I don't think your Broncos will be playing...

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
We shall see, Sean. An Arizona board/Super Bowl road trip would be the shit, though.

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
49ers are drafting at 11 and 42.

They'll likely take a DE like Gaines Adams or Jarvis Moss or even my prized Louisville DT Amobi Okoye or even Alan Branch.

At 42, they'll probably pick up a new weapon for Smith to throw to like Steve Smith or Sidney Rice.

downingthief
03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
49ers are drafting at 11 and 42.

They'll likely take a DE like Gaines Adams or Jarvis Moss or even my prized Louisville DT Amobi Okoye or even Alan Branch.

At 42, they'll probably pick up a new weapon for Smith to throw to like Steve Smith or Sidney Rice.

What's the QB situation in '9er land?

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Assuming Alex Smith doesn't pull a Plummer and go in the tank after his OC/mentor leaves, then the Niners are set for probably the next decade.

I think that's a good strategy, Bradley. But doesn't Johnson stir at least a small desire within you for the Niners to try to get him? Particularly since Detroit's #2 pick is apparently up for grabs.

downingthief
03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Assuming Alex Smith doesn't pull a Plummer and go in the tank after his OC/mentor leaves, then the Niners are set for probably the next decade.

I think that's a good strategy, Bradley. But doesn't Johnson stir at least a small desire within you for the Niners to try to get him? Particularly since Detroit's #2 pick is apparently up for grabs.

Ahhh, that's right...forgot about Smith. Will be interesting to see how the next few years play out, with Leinart, and Smith battling twice every year.

On that note, REALLY like what the Cards have done this off season (first time I think I have ever said that). They didn't panic, and go all crazy with the free agents. Now, this strategy only works if they draft well. I may have to amend this post in a few months...

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd gladly take Calvin Johnson. Gladly. He's probably worth trading the #11 pick and a 3rd round pick. I really like that he's not douche-y based on the interviews I've seen. He doesn't have a lot of arrogance or anger. He didn't showboat a lot in college. Very workmanlike. He'd fit well into the 49ers organization, and probably quite poorly into the flashier Raiders club.

From the looks of it, the 49ers are building for 2008. They'll probably draft a CB and a LB in the first 4 rounds. Probably some OL prospects in the later rounds.

Ted Ginn Jr is also an option for that 11 pick, unfortunately. That's a major reach. I like him. But I don't like him as anything other than a returner.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 10:07 AM
The Niners have shown a lot of good sense lately (especially since it's come to light that they didn't actually pay Nate Clements $10 million a year), so I don't see them making that mistake. Unless Ginn runs a 4.1 in his individual work out (since I think he's not even going to be ready for the OSU pro day), I will be shocked if he goes in the first round.

Dwayne Jarrett could be available for the Niners at #11. That wouldn't be a bad option if their defensive targets are off the board early.

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Also, this draft is very deep at WRs who will likely perform well in a few years but are all late 3rd-7th round picks:

Steve Breaston, Michigan
Jason Hill, Washington State
Johnnie Lee Higgins, UTEP
Anthony Gonzalez, Ohio State
Paul Williams, Fresno State

and some small schoolers like
Aaron Fairooz, Central Arkansas
William Mayfield, Appalachian State
David Ball, New Hampshire

Personally, I'd be thrilled if the 49ers picked up Paul Williams. He's a beast.

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I personally don't think Dwayne Jarret is worth an #11 pick. He feels a need, definitely, but they'd likely have to pay him more than he's worth.

fober
03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
The bad news for you Denver fans is that your team is playing in the AFC.

That's a treacherous road to the Super Bowl if I've ever seen one.

summerkid
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I personally don't think Dwayne Jarret is worth an #11 pick. He feels a need, definitely, but they'd likely have to pay him more than he's worth.

I don't think he's worth a first round pick personally. I'd rather have Johnson (obviously), Meachem, Bowe, Rice, and maybe even Ginn over him. I rather like Buster Davis too, but I would think Jarret would go before him.

downingthief
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Just read that Atlanta plans to trade Matt Schaub to the Texans...Carr's days are officially numbered in Houston.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
The bad news for you Denver fans is that your team is playing in the AFC.

That's a treacherous road to the Super Bowl if I've ever seen one.

It's a treacherous road because it involves Denver.

San Diego lost all their coordinators and probably some team morale, and they replaced their embattled head coach with a guy who has won 2 out of every 5 NFL games he's coached. Baltimore lost a lot of key contributors and they continue to get old; unless Willis McGahee really is the best running back in the league, I would say you're going to see a Ravens offense that's much closer to 2005 than to the one that scored over 20 in 6 straight games last year. Likewise, the Chiefs (another "playoff" team) also aren't getting any younger, and apart from Larry Johnson, they have no offense to speak of. Damon Huard is a hole-plugger, not a solution; there's a huge difference. Indianapolis can't be discounted, of course, but they lost some key defenders, and call me "in denial" if you must, but I think they overachieved last year in winning the Super Bowl.

I would say that the only 2006 AFC playoff teams that actually improved were the Pats - undeniably - and the Jets, whose addition of Thomas Jones fixes their biggest problem; if they have another good draft like they did last year, they're going to be in fine shape for the next 4-5 years. But the Jets aren't going to be elite any time soon. New England should probably be the favorites going in to next year, but there's just one problem: one team has owned them consistently over the past decade, even when they were winning all those championships.

I'll give you one shot at naming who that Achilles heel team is.

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Just read that Atlanta plans to trade Matt Schaub to the Texans...Carr's days are officially numbered in Houston.
That's an idiotic move at best. Schaub and Carr have similar skillsets, though I'd wager that Carr is probably more talented than Schaub. Schaub doesn't have the game experience that Carr does, and he's used to playing behind a better, albeit still awful, offensive line. The Texans would be better suited to pick up some tackles that know how to effectively pass block.

Whatever team eventually does pick up Carr would be well wise to keep him as their starter. With a decent defense, a couple of above-average receivers, and a line that actually blocks, Carr would win enough games for a playoff berth guaranteed. It's unfair to say that he's been given the opportunity to succeed. He has a had a couple of decent and great receiving targets in his career, but his line has always been horrid. He's also played with a ragtag crew of running backs that are good for 2 and 3yd carries. The defenses know that he'll have to pass for half of the plays on a possession, so they blitz him constantly...

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
When the trade is completed, Atlanta and Houston will flip-flop first-round picks in April's draft, and Atlanta will receive Houston's second-round picks in 2007 and 2008. The deal likely will be completed later Wednesday afternoon. Houston has the No. 8 pick in the first round of the draft, while Atlanta is slotted 10th.

J~$$$
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Carr will be an amazing QB with the right team. Like Brad said he has never had the chance to do shit because of a horrid offense.

downingthief
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Agreed. Since Day 1, they guy has been running for his life behind that O line.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
So where does he go now?

I think Minnesota should go after him; I'm surprised they haven't been a player in any of the QB sweepstakes. And they do have a solid line and a proven running back.

bug on your lip
03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Vikes have always been interested in Schaub

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I meant Carr. He's going to almost certainly be needing a new home this summer.

bug on your lip
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
we'll take Carr
i have no problem with that

dorkfish
03-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, the options for Carr (as an upgrade from these teams current QB) to start are:

Raiders
Vikings
Bills
Browns
Chiefs (Huard's a joke)
Redskins

fober
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
etc.

I'm not saying there's one specific road block on the way, I'm suggesting that having to play ~12 games against AFC teams will wear out rosters.

It's too early to assess specifics, I just believe any team could win the NFC Championship.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I'll give you that. But let's also remember that the AFC has been overwhelmingly better than the NFC for a while now, and they've won 9 of the last 10 Super Bowls.

fober
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I'll give you that. But let's also remember that the AFC has been overwhelmingly better than the NFC for a while now, and they've won 9 of the last 10 Super Bowls.

That's part of my argument, that the AFC is much better than the NFC.

schoolofruckus
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Right, but all those AFC teams that won the Super Bowl still had their tougher AFC schedules in those seasons. I see no reason why Denver would be more susceptible to getting "worn out" than, say, the Ravens or the Chiefs or the Colts.

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Gross:

League and team sources confirmed that Schaub has signed a six-year, $48 million contract with the Texans, a move that officially consummates the trade. As part of the deal, Schaub...will receive $7 million in guarantees.

Schaub, 25, will earn roughly $20 million in the first three years of the contract.

downingthief
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Gross:

League and team sources confirmed that Schaub has signed a six-year, $48 million contract with the Texans, a move that officially consummates the trade. As part of the deal, Schaub...will receive $7 million in guarantees.

Schaub, 25, will earn roughly $20 million in the first three years of the contract.

Wow...$7 million up front, for having about 5-6 starts under your belt. I think I made a serious vocational error, somewhere...

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Schaub better get used to being sacked every 8 passing attempts. He has a worse passer rating than Carr while having what, 2 starts? and a lot of games where he's just in cleanup time throwing short dump passes.

schoolofruckus
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Brad, you're a HUGE David Carr fan. Is it the Fresno State thing?

I'll tell you right now, I'll be bummed out if the Raiders pick him up. Number one, he's far and away the best quarterback they could get, including JaMarcus Russell. Number two, it means they will draft Calvin Johnson. But apparently Lane Kiffin was his coach for part of his Fresno State career. I have a bad feeling about this.

chunk
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
breaking news: marshall faulk wasnt retired. he is now.

and the raiders signed j. booty. josh booty. im thinking its all about name recognition with them now. insignificant superbowl mvps, sapp, moss, and the brother of an upcoming heisman trophy candidate.

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Brad, you're a HUGE David Carr fan. Is it the Fresno State thing?

I'll tell you right now, I'll be bummed out if the Raiders pick him up. Number one, he's far and away the best quarterback they could get, including JaMarcus Russell. Number two, it means they will draft Calvin Johnson. But apparently Lane Kiffin was his coach for part of his Fresno State career. I have a bad feeling about this.
I'm a huge David Carr fan, because of the Fresno State thing. The guy's as Central Valley of a QB as you can get, but unbiased, I can say that he's been put in a horrible situation in Houston during his career.

I hope he doesn't go to the Raiders, because I'll have to silently wish him well.

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
It's also a mixture of me being a HUGE David Carr fan, and a believer that Matt Schaub has never been better than Rick Mirer.

downingthief
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
It's also a mixture of me being a HUGE David Carr fan, and a believer that Matt Schaub has never been better than Rick Mirer.

Rick Mirer, the second coming of Joe Montana? Ha! That guy was worthless. I think it's too early to call Schaub that, though. Given time, you never know.

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Carr would actually be a good fit for the Raiders if they were to keep Randy Moss, as well. Carr's always been good at using his receivers above average catching skills to his advantage (i.e. Andre Johnson for the Texans and Bernard Berrian at Fresno). Even though Moss has lost some of his jump, he still has good hands, and with someone like Carr behind center, Moss would be happy with the number of attempts he'd get.

Also, imagine having Calvin Johnson and a well-behaved Randy Moss as your 2 and 1 receiver (respectively).

J~$$$
03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
If Carr goes to the Raiders they will most likely make it to 2nd place in the 2007 AFC west season because you know, first place is already set for the Broncos.

schoolofruckus
03-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Carr would actually be a good fit for the Raiders if they were to keep Randy Moss, as well. Carr's always been good at using his receivers above average catching skills to his advantage (i.e. Andre Johnson for the Texans and Bernard Berrian at Fresno). Even though Moss has lost some of his jump, he still has good hands, and with someone like Carr behind center, Moss would be happy with the number of attempts he'd get.

Also, imagine having Calvin Johnson and a well-behaved Randy Moss as your 2 and 1 receiver (respectively).

That's good, Bradley. Let's all keep talking about it. We can jinx it from happening if we try!

I hope Carr sees that Oakland is a trainwreck and decides to go be Cam Cameron's new project in Miami. Then the Raiders can draft Russell, keep Moss, and suck forever.

bballarl
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
I think since JaMarcus Russell can bench 450 lbs 28 times and run the 40 in 4.3 seconds and has an exceptional hand size he will become an excellent NFL QB.

J~$$$
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
WTF!!!! AL WILSON! I know he is old but WTF!?

dorkfish
03-22-2007, 08:42 PM
JaMarcus Russell reminds me way too much of Byron Leftwich

dorkfish
03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
David Carr was cut today. Guess anyone can pick him up now trade free.

Looks like they also cut Domanick Davis (Williams)

schoolofruckus
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
So in other words, the Texans passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young last year because Carr and Davis/Williams were the future.....

I don't even have a joke here. I would be fucking catatonic if I were a Texans fan.

Havocquarm
03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I really hope Carr doesn't jump to Oakland, thats the last thing they need. Getting some energetic young kid like Russell might actually spark something from the offense, but Carr would just be some beat up 5 year veteran that hasn't had a winning season.

Is there any word on how us Coachella goers will be able to find out whats going on with the draft through out saturday?

schoolofruckus
03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Wait, wait. You think that taking JaMarcus Russell in the first round is a better proposition than signing a big-armed QB and then drafting Calvin Johnson?

Sweet. You must be a Bronco fan. Nice to have you here!

dorkfish
03-27-2007, 07:41 PM
49ers signed Frank Gore to a 4 year extension through 2011.

Gore will receive an initial signing bonus of $6.5 million and total guarantees of nearly $14 million. The contract will pay Gore $13.862 million in its first two seasons and $18.212 million in the first three years. Because Gore had one season remaining on his original rookie contract, the four-year extension creates a five-year deal, and the total value over the course of the five seasons is $28.012 million.

Base salaries are $450,000 (for 2007), $2.5 million (2008), $2.5 million (2009), $2.85 million (2010) and $2.9 million (2011). The contract includes a $4.165 million option bonus and roster bonuses of $1.75 million (2009), $1.85 million (2010) and $2 million (2011). Gore's full base salary of $2.5 million in 2009 is guaranteed.

This wreaks of bad idea, but I guess they have their faith in his health and worried about him entertaining options during free agency next season.

schoolofruckus
03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
49ers signed Frank Gore to a 4 year extension through 2011.

Gore will receive an initial signing bonus of $6.5 million and total guarantees of nearly $14 million. The contract will pay Gore $13.862 million in its first two seasons and $18.212 million in the first three years. Because Gore had one season remaining on his original rookie contract, the four-year extension creates a five-year deal, and the total value over the course of the five seasons is $28.012 million.

Base salaries are $450,000 (for 2007), $2.5 million (2008), $2.5 million (2009), $2.85 million (2010) and $2.9 million (2011). The contract includes a $4.165 million option bonus and roster bonuses of $1.75 million (2009), $1.85 million (2010) and $2 million (2011). Gore's full base salary of $2.5 million in 2009 is guaranteed.

This wreaks of bad idea, but I guess they have their faith in his health and worried about him entertaining options during free agency next season.

I think it's a pretty great idea. He was the key to their offense this year, especially as someone to shoulder much of Alex Smith's load. And it's not like they wildly overpaid; they only gave him a little more than the Broncos guaranteed Travis Henry, who's 4-5 years older and a potential drug suspension risk. If he stays healthy, this move should pay off for them in a major way.

On another note - the Broncos signed Dre' Bly to an extension. Five years, $33 million; not sure how much guaranteed. No matter. Now he's happy, the team is settled, and Broncos fans can look forward to a sick pass defense for the first time in years.

I know everyone says Denver needs to draft a pass-rusher, but I'd prefer to see them nab a stud safety with their first pick. Either LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson would be my preference. A DE-heavy draft like this allows for one to be taken in Round 2. Make it happen, Broncos braintrust.

TomAz
03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
If the Niners had had the #1 draft pick last year, or #2 as it turned out, they could have drafted Reggie Bush and then had a backfield of Bush and Gore.

downingthief
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Scary. I think the 49ers signing Gore to that contract was a must. He has proven to be a solid back.

Everyone see the note on Plummer? He may not be retiring after all...Gruden is going afer him big time to re-consider playing for the Bucs.

schoolofruckus
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
The reason the Bucs accepted the trade is that they wanted to use the promise of making him pay back his signing bonus money - which happens when players retire under these kinds of circumstances - to get him to play. I still say that Plummer starts for the Bucs this year if he wants to.

TomAz
03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Scary. I think the 49ers signing Gore to that contract was a must. He has proven to be a solid back.

Everyone see the note on Plummer? He may not be retiring after all...Gruden is going afer him big time to re-consider playing for the Bucs.

don't you get it? BUSH and GORE?

J~$$$
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I think Plummer did it to get back the Broncos. Pure spite. cuz he is a bitch like that.

downingthief
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
don't you get it? BUSH and GORE?

Ha! To be honest, I was thinking about it on purely football levels! That would be quite a backfield...

schoolofruckus
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Tom, I got it. After a few seconds of thought. Then I laughed.

Justin, I agree. Plummer doesn't want Denver to get compensated for him by trade. I do think he's lost his love for football - fuck, last season's performance proves that much - but if he decides he wants to play, I would rather have him as my quarterback than Jeff Garcia or Chris Simms.

dorkfish
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm really starting to feel positive towards the idea of having Ashley Lelie as a featured WR.

downingthief
03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm really starting to feel positive towards the idea of having Ashley Lelie as a featured WR.

Really? Based on what? He was next to worthless last year.

dorkfish
03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
He has talent and great hands and decent speed. He's never been in a system where he was more than likely the top tier receiver. I say this is his first good year.

schoolofruckus
03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm not hoping for Lelie to succeed elsewhere the way I am with Jake - if he decides to play again - but I'm also not rooting for him to fail, either. Lelie kind of went out like a bitch, but it's not like he was ever harmful to the Broncos. If he turns into a legitimate #1 with Alex Smith, then good for him for stepping up.

On the other hand, I want to punch a wall everytime I see Deltha O'Neal make a play.

downingthief
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
He has talent and great hands and decent speed. He's never been in a system where he was more than likely the top tier receiver. I say this is his first good year.

Hmmmm...guess I'll have to put that one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category. Thought he was way over hyped.

dorkfish
03-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Uh oh...Carr is in talks with the Raiders

TomAz
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
that sucks. here's why. I need both Russell and Quinn to be in the top 4 picks. that way the Top 5 rounds out as:

1. Raiders - Russell
2. Lions - Brady Quinn
3. Browns - Adrian Peterson
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson

and the cardinals can take Joe Thomas at 5. which would be perfect.

If Oakland signs Carr, they probably take Johnson #1, and the Bucs take Thomas. Which leaves Arizona with either Adrian Peterson or Brady Quinn, and those don't exactly address need.

So. Carr needs to go to Miami. Or, anywhere else that's not Oakland or Detroit.

schoolofruckus
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Word.

dorkfish
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
People have put too much into the Raiders not signing Garcia as a sure fire sign that they'll draft Russell. I think that they just wanted a younger QB, and Carr is now an odd hybrid of a veteran and younger QB. I don't believe that the Lions will take Brady Quinn. I see them trading the pick down. If the Raiders take Carr, and don't trade down, I see it as:

1. Raiders - Calvin Johnson
2. Lions - trade to someone who might want Russell or Quinn
3. Browns - Quinn or Russell or Peterson depending on how things are on the board
4. Bucs - Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams or a DT/DE or trade down
5. Cardinals - Joe Thomas or trade-down for Levi Brown or Justin Blalock

TomAz
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't believe that the Lions will take Brady Quinn

I think you phrased that wrong. You meant to say, "the Lions shouldn't take Brady Quinn". This is Matt Millen we're talking about after all.

downingthief
03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
People have put too much into the Raiders not signing Garcia as a sure fire sign that they'll draft Russell. I think that they just wanted a younger QB, and Carr is now an odd hybrid of a veteran and younger QB. I don't believe that the Lions will take Brady Quinn. I see them trading the pick down. If the Raiders take Carr, and don't trade down, I see it as:

1. Raiders - Calvin Johnson
2. Lions - trade to someone who might want Russell or Quinn
3. Browns - Quinn or Russell or Peterson depending on how things are on the board
4. Bucs - Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams or a DT/DE or trade down
5. Cardinals - Joe Thomas or trade-down for Levi Brown or Justin Blalock

Thomas would be perfect for the CARDS, but I see him long gone. I have a feeling they will wait it out, and see if he is there. Then, I agree, they will try and trade down. Some pubs have them taking Adrian Peterson there, which makes NO sense at all.

TomAz
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
see that's the thing. If Russell and Quinn both go in the top 4, I don't think Thomas will be 'long gone' at #5. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

mountmccabe
03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I think you phrased that wrong. You meant to say, "the Lions shouldn't take Brady Quinn". This is Matt Millen we're talking about after all.

I don't think the Lions will take Quinn either. The mocks I've seen don't have them taking a QB either.

But, yeah, dammit, who knows. It's the Lions.

Tom, do you really think the Cards are going to turn a corner? Followup: how many corners are there for them to turn before some sort of light peaks through?

TomAz
03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Do I really think that? eh. I dunno. I like the Whisenhunt hire. we'll see.

downingthief
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
The hire was a good start. So was getting Grimm for the O line. They have the best core group of players they have ever had. Wisenhunt knows how important the running game is, so hopefully that means Edge will go off this year.

dorkfish
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
In that case...Matt Millen is likely to trade down then illogically draft Dwayne Jarrett

fober
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Carr signs with Panthers.

Pacman Jones suspended for all 2007.

Travis Henry suspended for 8 games.

Warren Moon caught driving drunk.

Harrington signs with Atlanta.

TomAz
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
The Pacman suspension is a pleasant surprise. A whole year.

schoolofruckus
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Chris Henry was suspended for 8 games of 2007. Travis Henry is going to rush for 1,600 yards and 20 TD's in 2007.

fober
04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Chris Henry was suspended for 8 games of 2007. Travis Henry is going to rush for 1,600 yards and 20 TD's in 2007.

haahah I was hoping for more of an uproar from you guys.

J~$$$
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/schedules

schoolofruckus
04-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I see a 14-2 on the horizon. Denver is going to lay the NFL to waste this year. And 4 primetime, national broadcast games! Three on Monday, one on Sunday, and that's not counting any potential flex games. They do have one game on the fucking NFL Network though, which I hate.

J~$$$
04-12-2007, 08:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2834191

Adios.

schoolofruckus
04-13-2007, 12:47 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2836410)

J~$$$
04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
damn.

downingthief
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
That sucks. Another Cap Casualty.

Still holding to your 14-2 record, Gabe?

schoolofruckus
04-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes. A big reason the Broncos wanted to trade or cut the salary of Al Wilson is because they plan to use D.J. Williams as an every down linebacker; that can only help. My biggest sadness over this whole thing is that Al Wilson spent all his time with the Broncos during their down era - between Elway (he was a rookie the year after the second championship) and Cutler - and thus, will not get to share in the Super Bowl trophy this coming January.

Wilson's biggest value to the team is as a leader; I was (still am) hoping that his neck injury causes him to retire so that he can join the Broncos' coaching staff. Nevertheless, I'm hoping that the reason he was released hassomething to do with the Broncos wanting to give him the opportunity to control what team he goes to next. He's been a huge part of the franchise, and it'll be hard to stomach if he goes to another team (I would imagine that he signs with either New England or San Diego, both of which would bum me the fuck out).

This is the toughest player departure from the Broncos since Elway retired.

dorkfish
04-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Terrell Davis? Shannon Sharpe?

fober
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
hahahah sorry Titans fans!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-17-madden-cover_N.htm

Dislocated shoulder in Week 2.

Or he gets arrested during the bye week.

schoolofruckus
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Dammit. I was hoping they'd put Shawne Merriman on the cover.

fober
04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I figured out EA's strategy.

I think up until now, they've selected players comming off of a career year. Generally people with years of experience.

They figure by selecting someone younger, who isn't exactly amazing on the field (12 TD, 13 INT, worst passer rating in the league) they don't set themselves up for disappointment.

I mean unless the guy gets seriously injured, what exactly would be a step down from that horrid season as a QB?

I still feel bad for Titans fans, especially considering Young said "I'm not afraid of the Madden Curse".

schoolofruckus
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
That's a really good theory, although I think it's blatantly wrong to call a season in which someone wins Rookie of the Year and posts a winning record as the QB of a team with very little offensive firepower "horrendous". That said, he does have room to improve upon, which should make this year that much better.

But the Madden Curse was never about on-field performance dropping, anyway. It's about injury. Vince Young will be hard-pressed to outrun that.

fober
04-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree horrendous is a bit harsh, because he made some plays when it counted. I still believe last year was about the Titans defense and special teams more so than Young at QB.

The Madden Curse hasn't always been about injuries though.

Levens didn't get injured in 2000.
George didn't get injured in 2001.
Lewis didn't get injured in 2005 (until the last regular season game, but the Ravens fate was sealed already).

More specifically, every QB on the cover has been injured severly (Vick, Culpepper, McNabb).

schoolofruckus
04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree horrendous is a bit harsh, because he made some plays when it counted. I still believe last year was about the Titans defense and special teams more so than Young at QB.

Not to mention Travis Henry. Without him, Vince Young gets keyed on every game. But given how bad his passing was (and I didn't even realize how ineffective he was until I saw your stats) and the general lack of playmakers in the passing game, I don't know why any team would play them with less than 8 men in the box. I bet every team does this year now that his only halfway competent receiver (Drew Bennett) left. Hence, the Madden Curse may very well continue.

full on idle
04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
what did Pacman do?

schoolofruckus
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Shit, what didn't he do. He got arrested 10 times since the 2005 draft. He was reponsible for a strip club shooting in Vegas back in February over the NBA all-star weekend, because he grabbed $81,000 in cash and made it rain while the girls were dancing; he dropped money over them, and then this girl that was in his entourage started a fight when the strippers tried to keep the money. I think three people got shot....I don't remember if anyone died. But that was the latest in a string of arrests that - as the suspensions showed - made Chris Henry's rap sheet look tame by comparison. No small feet.

schoolofruckus
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
So basically, all he did was follow Ronnie's playbook, and THE MAN (Roger Goodell) suspended him for a full year.

leighleigh
04-21-2007, 02:27 PM
DO YOU GUYS REALIZE THE NFL DRAFT IS DURING COACHELLA?????? How will i find out who's getting drafted where?

schoolofruckus
04-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Stay home and watch the draft. Then text us all with the results.

fober
04-21-2007, 07:07 PM
DO YOU GUYS REALIZE THE NFL DRAFT IS DURING COACHELLA??????

Welcome to the last 6 years.

schoolofruckus
04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Rumor of the day:

Denver sends its 1st (#21), 2nd (#56), and one of their 3rd (#70 or #86) round picks in this draft, plus it's 1st round pick in 2008, to Detroit in exchange for their #2 pick this year - and then Denver drafts Calvin Johnson. If the Raiders go ahead and sign JaMarcus Russell - which is apparently in the works as we speak - then this Broncos/Lions trade is highly likely.

I'm torn. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Calvin Johnson in Bronco colors. But I think tossing the entire day 1 of this draft out, plus their first-rounder next year, to get one guy who plays a position (WR) that I think Denver is already in pretty great shape at is ridiculous. That said, even with Javon Walker (who returns to being a top-5 NFL wide receiver in this, his first full year with Cutler) and the promising Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson would be the fucking MAN the moment he hit town. And Denver's first round pick in 2008 is going to be #32 anyway (because they're going to win the Super Bowl this year), so it's not like that's worth a whole lot.

If I were the Broncos, I would first see if trading up to #6 (Washington) might be notably cheaper, with the idea of drafting LaRon Landry. I think he fills a bigger position of need and is damn near just as big of a slam dunk. But if the price is about the same (i.e., the Broncos have to part with most of their Saturday draft picks), then why not make the Calvin deal? If you have a chance to get a guy like that, you have to do it.

dorkfish
04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
i'm bringing my treo to coachella so i will be able to follow along

dorkfish
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Mike Williams could head to Oakland

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 1:41 pm EDT

Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, who is fond of USC athletes, having once coached at the school, could be preparing to enlist Mike Williams, the former Trojans receiver who is desirous of severing his association with the Detroit Lions.

Williams, a first-round selection in 2005, has withdrawn from the Detroit club's offseason conditioning program in the hope that the Lions will cut him and he could be reunited in Oakland with Lane Kiffin, who coached him at USC.

TomAz
08-28-2007, 07:33 AM
time to start this back up.

observations:

1. NFL pre-season is too damned long. Nothing good ever happens in the preseason. A team plays great, it means nothing. The only things that count are injuries.

2. wtf are the raiders thinking?

3. cardinals OL still sucks.

4. everyone's crowning the charger's ass already. norv turner doesn't exactly have a stellar track record in the playoffs though.

5. colts won't repeat. colts may not even make the playoffs (though their division is a bit soft, so maybe that's going too far)

6. I'm looking for a sophomore slump from each of Young, Cutler, and Leinart. Cutler is probably the least likely of the three to slump.

7. broken record: pats win it all again.

there now.

Yablonowitz
08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=TomAz;282748]time to start this back up.

observations:
[QUOTE]

Regarding?

J~$$$
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
1. I agree pre-season should be cut down to 2 games and add 2 more regular season games.

2. lol

3. Broncos are looking a little shaky too.

4. As soon as LT hurts himself this year. It will be the worst thing to happen to SD football ever. Fuck Norv Turner.

5. Yup. Colts will get to the playoffs and lose first round.

6. Leinart. Cutler is a winner.

7. Damnit....why does Tom Brady have to be so good. I think this has huge potential.

TomAz
08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Regarding?

Jamarcus Russell.

Yablonowitz
08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Yablonowitz;282751][QUOTE=TomAz;282748]time to start this back up.

observations:

Jamarcus Russell.

You think he's no good?

TomAz
08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
No, I think he's unsigned.

Yablonowitz
08-28-2007, 07:53 AM
No, I think he's unsigned.

He is unsigned. They are negotiating. He wants $30 million up front. So he needs to get a little more grounded. Hopefully, he'll get signed in a few weeks and Daunte can show him the ropes.

TomAz
08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
The Raiders are offering him 06 money. So I think King Al needs to get a little more grounded too.

meanwhile, and unrelated, this is mildly amusing (http://18to88.com/Articles/starwars2007.htm).

J~$$$
08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Yoda

Green and 800 years old.

FAV RAHHHHH!

Yablonowitz
08-28-2007, 08:33 AM
My son is convinced that Jawas are all "little jedis".