PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Additions; Meeting the Hype?

El.C.Dub
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I understand there are high expectations on GV to make some very solid additions this year, especially after the sort of additions they made last year. Here is a reminder of the reaction many people on this board had upon discovering Prince had been added, including myself: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17121&highlight=prince. To summarize, pretty much every post is purely ecstatic.

I wonder if we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Are there even any real additions secured that GV is withholding from us, or are we all just posturing? I followed the release of the lineup on these boards for chella '07 and '08, so I must ask the veterans, were the additions last year unprecedented? Or is this an annual tactic of GV's, to withhold headliners and other big names to resuscitate ticket sales in the final month? If you notice the announcement for Prince last year was on March 18. That means that we are still about a month off from any word on more acts.

Furthermore, what sort of act would it take to meet the hype? Of course there are many acts that could meet and even some that would surpass the fervor Prince created, however are any of them feasible?

And finally, if it turns out there was no big additions up GV's sleeve, what does that say about this year's coachella? I for one am completely satisfied with the lineup as is, an exception beeing the Sahara's which I know will get stronger with time. However I really hope the Killers aren't headlining Saturday.

obzen
02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I really hope the Killers aren't headlining Saturday.

i like this nOOb already!!! :thu

flowbee
02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
2006 had several great additions (some early some late). 2008 had great additions. Don't recall what was added in 07' or earlier years.

Most likely we will get a couple nice adds. Prince in 08' won't be topped however.

tigermilkboy
02-20-2009, 10:45 PM
It is hard to say what will happen! Money will dictate what can or can't happen.
I would question whether a multi-million dollar add on will occur this year, such as Prince last year. I don't think it is sound financing to spend that sort of money in this climate.
My feelings are that if revenues are way above expectations (most predictions estimate you should budget 4-8% below 2008) then it might be possible to add names.
If revenues are where GV expects, only a few minor adds might occur.
The problem is accountants/business managers are very cautious about spending too much money and will try to minimise risks and costs. GV wants a Coachella next year and beyond, so adding lots of costly names might not be worth the risk. The biggest part of Coachella's budget is artist fee's.

I think the line-up is very fresh at the bottom and very familar at the top. It can't possibly meet everyone's 'hype' and 'expectations'. I am always disappointed at every festival line-up -how could someone not put on MY dream line-up? But you just accept the line-up and either go with it or not.

El.C.Dub
02-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Sometimes I wonder about the profitability aspect of Coachella....
How much money does GV really have to throw around? Think about an act like McCartney... the sonofabitch has more money than any music artist in history, therefore I highly doubt it was the purse which attracted him to play coachella. The same can be said for Prince. Rather, coachella offers these older artists a fresh, young audience and the street cred that comes along from playing a gig like coachella.

And you mention the great additions of '06; could you specify? Was Daft a late addition? If so there is hope for all of us.

brycerosen
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
early addition kanye and maddona were late adds

El.C.Dub
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
shit those are pretty big

brycerosen
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
yeah but nothin will beat getting serj tankian, Above and Beyond, goldfrapp aphex twin and fuckin prince with about a month or so to go, dont worry somethin big is comin, I just think they like to wait so it gives a second wind to ticket sales

beavington
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I dont think all headliners get paid bucket loads of money. I think very select few do. Was there ever an estimate on what Rage got paid? I really think the only highly paid additions were prince and perhaps daft punk. i think others were for promotion of their own albums and were told that would be a good avenue for them to play, i.e. madonna and kanye. I dont think Aphex Twin was paid a shit load nor Goldfrapp but they arent really headliners. I wonder if MBV are going to be paid the price tag that was buzzed about last year

summerkid
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
rage got paid 1.5 million dollars to reunite but they fucking sold out the festival so it was a wise investment. I think if the economy hadn't been so sluggish the past two years 08 and 09 would have sold out. These lineups have been ace.

Like I said before this lineup looks pretty set from top to bottom (except the sahara) so I wouldn't any HUGE additions something like serj tankian and goldfrapp is possible though. So i think there will be some solid additions as well as one or two big additions in the sahara, but we'll see its all speculation.

humanoid
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
where do people get info about the exact amount of money that bands are paid for shows like this? I don't care that much, I just wonder where the specific dollar amounts come from that people quote so often?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I wonder if we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Are there even any real additions secured that GV is withholding from us, or are we all just posturing? I followed the release of the lineup on these boards for chella '07 and '08, so I must ask the veterans, were the additions last year unprecedented? Or is this an annual tactic of GV's, to withhold headliners and other big names to resuscitate ticket sales in the final month? If you notice the announcement for Prince last year was on March 18. That means that we are still about a month off from any word on more acts.

I said this last year, that the addition of Prince so late in the game would damage all of us. Even now, a lot (and partially myself included) believe that a major addition is going to happen on Saturday. How major is the real question. The Killers and The Cure are most likely the safest and cheapest headliners they have had in the past few years (I believe the rumored payday for The Killers is 300K and last time The Cure headlined it was 500K. Jack Johnson was most likely a "cheap" headliner but safe I am not so sure considering he had a small audience compared to headliners past or even subs). But in our defense, the signs are all there. There is no way (sorry Lee) that Thievery Corp is a sub headliner on par with Amy Winehouse, Morrissey, Leonard Cohen, Frans, MBV or the YYYs. Even more so, I doubt Thievery will even be on the main stage. So you have this major gap on Saturday unless Amy Winhouse and The Killers plan on 2 hour sets a piece. Which given the history of the festival, the only 2 acts to ever perform for 2 hours or more are Prince and Roger Waters. Amy and The Killers are not on par with those 2 acts at all and neither one has enough stellar material to do 2 hour sets (do the Killers even do 2 hour sets at their own shows?). Also, I highly highly doubt GV held the announcement of Prince back to try and boost tickets at the last minute. Prince was always in talks of headlining (and the rumors were rampant to prove that) and because of his ego (or whatever) the talks took forever and they felt they could release the line up without him. I believe had they initally added Prince and perhaps even Aphex Twin before hand, it probably would have sold out.

Furthermore, what sort of act would it take to meet the hype? Of course there are many acts that could meet and even some that would surpass the fervor Prince created, however are any of them feasible?

There are bigger acts then Prince (U2 and Led Zeppelin), but to cause the same kind of fervor, the ONLY act I can see really see doing that is David Bowie. Maybe Radiohead or a newly designed Daft Punk show but both acts just finished some very high profile tours. Of course the only feasible one out of this bunch is Radiohead since they are finishing up a Latin America tour at the end of March. Bowie is on hiatus for a while and so is Daft Punk.
Of course there is some smaller acts that would cause the board to go apeshit and if demand for their last shows is any indication, perhaps The Knife would do it. But that is another act that is completely unfeasible due to their current obligations.

And finally, if it turns out there was no big additions up GV's sleeve, what does that say about this year's coachella? I for one am completely satisfied with the lineup as is, an exception beeing the Sahara's which I know will get stronger with time. However I really hope the Killers aren't headlining Saturday.

Outside of some Sahara headliners (which Dani already mentioned more Sahara acts coming) and maybe that killer reunion act of the year (Pavement or maybe the White Stripes), Coachella is just fine the way it is actually. They do need to do something to fill that main stage gap on Saturday but otherwise we are fine. I don't mind The Killers headlining as much as I minded Jack Johnson headlining (I don't think JJ even headlined a festival before last year...well..not a major one outside of Hawaii). at least everyone here knows a number of Killers tracks and at least they won't put you to sleep. That being said, if I was curated the festival and money wasn't the issue, I would have went in a different direction and kept them on as a sub headliner.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Sometimes I wonder about the profitability aspect of Coachella....
How much money does GV really have to throw around? Think about an act like McCartney... the sonofabitch has more money than any music artist in history, therefore I highly doubt it was the purse which attracted him to play coachella. The same can be said for Prince. Rather, coachella offers these older artists a fresh, young audience and the street cred that comes along from playing a gig like coachella.

For the record Prince was given over 2 million for his show but the rumors were he was given over 4 million (the 2 million was reported by Forbes and the 4 million reported by perez hilton, so take your pick who you want to believe). But I agree wih you with Paul. I really doubt he was that much of a hassle to talk with. Compared to other acts anyways.

And you mention the great additions of '06; could you specify? Was Daft a late addition? If so there is hope for all of us.

Daft Punk and Massive Attack weren't really late additions. They were merely added to the posted a week or 2 later. Given that, I wouldn't call those late additions in the same token as Prince. Madonna and Kanye on the other hand were. Madonna was added in March and I still have the email from when they announced it. Too bad, she ruined what could have been a legendary performance. Maybe if she was given more time or perhaps closed out the Sahara tent that day? Definately my worst Coachella experience ever and her fans didn't help either. Kanye was added a mere week before the festival and that wasn't even really announced. His name just kind of showed up. But I really enjoyed his showing.

boyalien0
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
There really is just a fat fucking mainstage gap on Saturday night, isn't there?

TVOTR into Amy (if she shows) into The Killers....hrmmm....this is just weird.

El.C.Dub
02-21-2009, 04:12 PM
There really is just a fat fucking mainstage gap on Saturday night, isn't there?

Yes, I didn't even notice that. There will most definitely be at least one main stage addition for Saturday just to fill the schedule.

Gribbz
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Let's hope so.

sportsbunny
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm still patiently waiting for those Sahara additions!

summerkid
02-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, I didn't even notice that. There will most definitely be at least one main stage addition for Saturday just to fill the schedule.

eh...not if thievery corp is on the main stage...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
eh...not if thievery corp is on the main stage...

you think they will though? honestly...

scoop49er
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
typical coachella goer:

1. see the lineup and not be too pleased
2. downalod some of the artists
3. time goes by
4. start to like the lineup
5. start to love the lineup
6 buy the tickets and decide to go
7. spend the best 3 days of the year partying with other concert nuts!

its all good! :)

summerkid
02-21-2009, 07:03 PM
you think they will though? honestly...

they didn't play the sahara in 03 (they played the OT), I don't see how any thing has changed that they would play the Sahara, they aren't a dance act. Main Stage at sunset seemed like the slot they were getting.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
they didn't play the sahara in 03 (they played the OT), I don't see how any thing has changed that they would play the Sahara, they aren't a dance act. Main Stage at sunset seemed like the slot they were getting.

I just don't see them playing main for the reasons I mentioned.

scoop49er
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
i was told DM AND NIN would be added but i just dont think its gonna happen.... i think they are gonna do their best to get away with the killers being the headliners this year and just pack it all other things to do (the dome).....
the economy has hit everyone so i think they will take their chances on this one...

boyalien0
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I just don't see them playing main for the reasons I mentioned.

I have to agree...I mean, really, TVOTR into Thievery Corp into Amy (if she shows) into The Killers? Who the hell do they think would camp out at the mainstage for that? What demographic is that mainstage lineup even directed at? It just seems so weird. I bet Thievery Corp close the outdoor theatre....I bet the outdoor theatre at night goes Fleet Foxes into Band of Horses into Thievery Corp. Actually, that seems weird too...hmm...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 07:16 PM
i was told DM AND NIN would be added but i just dont think its gonna happen.... i think they are gonna do their best to get away with the killers being the headliners this year and just pack it all other things to do (the dome).....
the economy has hit everyone so i think they will take their chances on this one...

NIN into the Killers equal the nin fans raping Salah...I don't see that happening...and the captn has debunked Depeche Mode.

boyalien0
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
NIN into the Killers equal the nin fans raping Salah...I don't see that happening...and the captn has debunked Depeche Mode.

You mean Killers into NIN, right? There is no way it would happen the other way around.

Anyways, fuck NIN, fuck DM. If there is going to be a headliner add, which I highly doubt, it would be something fresh and a bit more left field.

Blinken
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Killers -> NIN would make no sense at all. Plus NIN is already at Sasquatch and Bonnaroo.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
it would take a huge headliner to bump the Killers...and I mean someone Prince-like (Bowie, U2, etc.). I love NIN but I can't see GV using them as their big addition.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Killers -> NIN would make no sense at all. Plus NIN is already at Sasquatch and Bonnaroo.

QFT. NIN won't be added.

goldfromla
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
everyone is also expecting the chemical brothers and basement jaxx, but watch neither of them perform and we get something like yelle AGAIN

HandBanana
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7923/2dl93f7.jpg

shakermaker113
02-21-2009, 09:19 PM
well that settles it.

Leeartlee
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of rice.... but I like it all the same.

sacleonard
02-21-2009, 10:02 PM

I think that TVOTR end up closing the Outdoor Stage. So, if we don't get any Main Stage additions, it could be: Thievery at sunset ---> Amy ---> The Killers

boyalien0
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
That comic is awesome.

El.C.Dub
02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
...the tension builds.

weeklymix
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
...the tension builds.

i feel like you posted this to bump your own thread.

El.C.Dub
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
no, i really do fell the tension building. Just commenting on the situation.

thizzin my brains out
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
i really wonder if the sahara adds will meet the hype

ArcadeParade
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
no, i really do fell the tension building. Just commenting on the situation.

the tension is real

bludevil007
02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
wonder if they'll add the thermals

April 2009
09 Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom w/ Parenthetical Girls, Explode Into Colors
10 Salem, OR @ Grand Theater, Cherry City Music Fest w/ Panther, Explode Into Colors
11 Seattle, WA @ Neumo's w/ Panther, Parenthetical Girls
22 Boise, ID @ Neurolux w/ Shaky Hands, Point Juncture, WA
23 Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge w/ Shaky Hands, Point Juncture, WA
24 Denver, CO @ The Marquis Theater w/ Shaky Hands, Point Juncture, WA

dudemac
02-27-2009, 07:40 AM
infected mushroom should be added

garrett222
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Inevitable Sahara Adds:

Moby
Armin Van Buren

Leeartlee
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Inevitable Sahara Adds:
Armin Van Buren

Oh God no. Please God no AVB. They might as well just fly in Paul Oakenfuck from Vegas and we can all listen to completely played out tracks 'til the break of dawn.

obzen
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
here are some contenders for late add:
Moby
Britney
NIN
Pearl Jam
Depeche Mode
Faith No More
The Prodigy
u2

wait for it...

...David Bowie/The Smiths:)

El.C.Dub
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Inevitable Sahara Adds:

Moby
Armin Van Buren

is this your intuition or do you know something i dont

redthreat
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
infected mushroom should be added

already done.

let's get an original add this time.

RedThom
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
is this your intuition or do you know something i dont

my guess would be "just crossing fingers"

Drewski27
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
David Bowie/The Smiths:)

i thought we all decided to let these prescious dreams of ours die awhile back. its good to see there are still true believers out there.

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
No on anything Trance.

El.C.Dub
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
No on anything Trance.

that goes without saying on these boards.

GeezrRckr
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Not a headliner, but does anyone think that Puscifer might be added? They're kicking off a tour close to Coachella.

interpolado
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
fingers crossed and still praying for BOWIE!