PDA

View Full Version : 10 Year Anniversary.. and THIS is the Line-Up

Kite329
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Now I am not complaining but these bands should most definitely be added before the 17,18, and 19 of April:

Queens of the Stone Age

of Montreal

Brocken Social Scene

Cold War Kids

Tom Waits

Portugal. The Man

The Mars Volta

Animal Collective

Santogold

Justice

MGMT

The Flaming Lips

Le Savy Fav

Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground

Why?

Starfucker

None of these bands are in a specific order.

emtgreg
02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
should have gone to 08...

heyeric
02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like your a year to late, what a shame.

PassiveTheory
02-20-2009, 08:25 AM
http://api.ning.com/files/3oa9yI0kQrpGiqau2Ykr2VgDBBwX1si6jPjcwBszs5Y_/StopWhining.jpeg

betao
02-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Justice is literally the last thing that should be added to Coachella.

Gribbz
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Justice is literally the last thing that should be added to Coachella.

Christ, this couldn't be more correct.

humanoid
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Now I am not complaining but these bands should most definitely be added before the 17,18, and 19 of April:

Queens of the Stone Age

of Montreal

Brocken Social Scene

Cold War Kids

Tom Waits

Portugal. The Man

The Mars Volta

Animal Collective

Santogold

Justice

MGMT

The Flaming Lips

Le Savy Fav

Why?

Starfucker

I like a lot of those bands, but really...did you not make it last year?

Devin the Dude
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah that shit's pretty funny. once you've seen justice 4 times like the rest of coachella and southern california, they get sucky.

lol

higgybaby23
02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/maintain/67396-delete-key.jpg

redthreat
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM

psycobetabuckdown
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
This is kind of a ridiculous wishlist but OP is right about one thing - Queens would be a great headliner to boost down The Killers.

Or Muse, just saying

emtgreg
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I will agree with this, QOTSA would be radder than amazing...

woogie846
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
You should've gone last year.

chairmenmeow47
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/578418-2/why_don_t_you_CRY_ABOUT_IT.jpg

BROKENDOLL
02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the original poster is a year late, but then they're also from Alaska...You know, that neighborhhod place next to Russia, south of Bum-Fucked.

heyeric
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
true, AK is off the chart.

gmoneyak
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
How fucking DARE you, BD. That being said, he/she's an idiot. ALSO, i dont think QOTSA are quite headliner-worthy.

andronicus
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
i vote "no" on proposition " add justice for the third time in a row to coachella"

PrettyRagdoll
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, the original poster is a year late, but then they're also from Alaska...You know, that neighborhhod place next to Russia, south of Bum-Fucked.

Now, now. Let's not talk about the people that keep an eye on Russia and make sure they stay on their side of the pond!

psycobetabuckdown
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
How fucking DARE you, BD. That being said, he/she's an idiot. ALSO, i dont think QOTSA are quite headliner-worthy.

What???

What do you have to have released your first album a minimum of 20 years before each Coachella in order to be a worthy headliner? QOTSA are one of the few bands today that are big enough, popular enough, good enough and relevant enough to be a good Coachella headliner. The only reason The Killers don't work is because they suck a little bit. I applaud GV for at least getting current artists to headline, even if the last two have been The Killers and Jack Johnson.

This is why the best possible headliners would have been, and still can be next year, Gorillaz - OutKast - Muse - etc.

hobomilitia
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I am waiting for the day when people realize that the mars volta is a huge crock of shit. props to GV for knowing that they have no place on the lineup

luckyface
02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I am waiting for the day when people realize that the mars volta is a huge crock of shit. props to GV for knowing that they have no place on the lineup

There are many of us out there like you. Slowly but surely we are multiplying.

sacleonard
02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
There are many of us out there like you. Slowly but surely we are multiplying.

Sign me up.

sonnyboy11
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Sign me up.

Why don't you all just get a room and form a big, gay, anti-Mars Volta orgy?

Alchemy
02-20-2009, 05:08 PM
QOTSA are headliner worthy. Especially if Mark Lanegan is with them. It would also be cool if Nick Oliveri was with them. Talk about an awesome discography.

krk67
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I am all for QOTSA headlining Saturday.

But then again, I am old and not a teenybopper who appreciates the finer side of The Killers.

goldfromla
02-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Queens of the Stone Age

of Montreal

Brocken Social Scene

Cold War Kids

Tom Waits

Portugal. The Man

The Mars Volta

Animal Collective

Santogold

Justice

MGMT

The Flaming Lips

Le Savy Fav

Why?

Starfucker

justice is recording a new album and headlined sunday night last year in the Sahara.
Santogold played last year and was nothing speacial.
MGMT has only done the festival circuit and us gunna be taking a break, and lets not forget they also played last year.
Queens of the Stone age would be crazy, but dont expect seeing any shows from them for another 2 years

TallGuyCM
02-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I am waiting for the day when people realize that the mars volta is a huge crock of shit.

And I am waiting for the day when you listen to "Deloused in the Comatorium" without a dildo up your ass and a crack pipe in your hand.

Sexecutioner
02-20-2009, 11:02 PM
While I am mostly satisfied with the lineup, i do feel it is a bit lacking, mostly in the sahara. and yea, i was expecting a lot more for the 10th anniversary, so i guess its easy to be disappointed when you go into it with such high hopes. still, im confident that i will have an amazing time no matter what (but a few big adds would still be nice).

and no, QOTSA are NOT headliners. dont get me wrong, they are a great band, but they don't have anywhere near the selling power to be headliners. not even close. hell, have they even headlined their own tour for venues bigger than clubs? every time ive seen them in an arena, they are opening for somebody else.

erniemm
02-22-2009, 05:49 AM
So who could save this? One name that will make everybody say...ok, now this is what i'm talking about a 10 year annivesary lineup!

For me the lineup is pretty good, not as good as 07 but a really cool one.

Arcade Fire? They could headline saturday!

obzen
02-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Arcade Fire? They couldnt headline saturday!

Fixed!!!:yyablo

psycobetabuckdown
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
and no, QOTSA are NOT headliners. dont get me wrong, they are a great band, but they don't have anywhere near the selling power to be headliners. not even close. hell, have they even headlined their own tour for venues bigger than clubs? every time ive seen them in an arena, they are opening for somebody else.

Really? I didn't even think this was up for debate. I guess they didn't play an arena over here in SF last time they came but they did warrant a second Warfield show. Tool didn't play an arena either though. Would Gorillaz headline arenas? Surely they're headliners.

Come on. They've had like 6 radio hits this decade. They are big, they can headline. This is crazy.

Sexecutioner
02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Really? I didn't even think this was up for debate. I guess they didn't play an arena over here in SF last time they came but they did warrant a second Warfield show. Tool didn't play an arena either though. Would Gorillaz headline arenas? Surely they're headliners.

Come on. They've had like 6 radio hits this decade. They are big, they can headline. This is crazy.

tool has headlined many arena tours. and i dont know what kind of shows gorillaz play, but they arent really headliners either in my opinion. what do they have, like 2 albums? and im not saying playing arenas defines headliner status, but if you cant fill up an arena or a large amphitheater, then you can't headline coachella, sorry.

sacleonard
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
QOTSA are not headliners. Although most board members know them, the average Coachella attendee may not even recognize them. Headliners need to drive ticket sales.

MissingPerson
02-23-2009, 02:14 AM
QOTSA are a solid festival band, but nah, not headliners.

boarderwoozel3
02-23-2009, 03:04 AM
^
Bingo.

psycobetabuckdown
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
QOTSA are not headliners. Although most board members know them, the average Coachella attendee may not even recognize them. Headliners need to drive ticket sales.

Wow, I guess it's different up here in SF. Anyone I talk to would know who they are and at least 3 of their songs. My gf has gotten into them and she is so musically sheltered it frustrates me.

What bands are big enough to headline that have members under 40? The Foo Fighters? Or are they over 40 too? Please don't tell me you think Muse is bigger than QOTSA because then I know it's just an LA thing.

Edit: It really doesn't matter about how many albums you have - let's get real, Gorillaz are without question big enough. They have had three megahits, and I would submit any day that they're bigger than Queens.

seyrnon
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
The gorillaz are OK
but Blur is just infinitely superior, If I see any form of Damon Albarn I would want it to Blur

sacleonard
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow, I guess it's different up here in SF. Anyone I talk to would know who they are and at least 3 of their songs. My gf has gotten into them and she is so musically sheltered it frustrates me.

What bands are big enough to headline that have members under 40? The Foo Fighters? Or are they over 40 too? Please don't tell me you think Muse is bigger than QOTSA because then I know it's just an LA thing.

Edit: It really doesn't matter about how many albums you have - let's get real, Gorillaz are without question big enough. They have had three megahits, and I would submit any day that they're bigger than Queens.

Well, I am actually from Northern CA too (not LA). Unfortunately, the bands that I think are big enough to headline a 60k festival aren't necessarily the ones I want to see here: Green Day, Coldplay, etc.

Muse, Gorillaz, and QOTSA are all quality sub-headliners, but I don't see them as headliners. When I think of headliners, I think of more established artists: Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., etc., which is probably why Friday and Sunday headliners make more sense to me than Saturday's headliner.

Sexecutioner
02-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Foos and Muse are both bigger and better than QOTSA. If you ask me, both those first 2 bands could headline, but Queens...not quite. And 3 "mega-hits" does not a headliner make. what you are describing are 2nd tier bands. Queens and Gorillaz both deserve 2nd tier. This is all just my opinion of course.

Muse, Gorillaz, and QOTSA are all quality sub-headliners, but I don't see them as headliners. When I think of headliners, I think of more established artists: Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., etc., which is probably why Friday and Sunday headliners make more sense to me than Saturday's headliner.

correct. (except about Muse...they could headline.)

psycobetabuckdown
02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
There is no way Gorillaz would ever be just a sub-headliner. It would be too epic. Name one subheadliner that wasn't from the 80s and had three "mega-hits" (definition: your mom knows the words).

The Foo Fighters are simply terrible and have been for a long time, and Muse is ok, I would watch them headline, but QOTSA are easily a better band. But that has nothing to do with headlining capability, or little to do with it.

sacleonard, I just prefer a current band any day to an old band - there should be at LEAST one current headliner per year, so The Killers would be cool if their last two albums didn't suck. Coldplay would be better. I agree bands have to be established, and I know Queens aren't a super-huge band, but they're as as well-known as Muse in the US, who most people consider headliner-worthy (read: not as popular, just well-known) and could easily make Friday with a good supporting cast. Gorillaz could do Saturday, maybe even Sunday, I think you're underestimating them. If any current (not old fuckers) Coachella-ish bands can headline it's bands like these.