PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from/been to San Diego?

coop_uk
02-13-2007, 04:24 AM
After Coachella I have 6 days of nothing, so I will be spending at least 3 of them in San Diego before flying to Vegas for 2 days on 6th May.

What is there to do?

sonofhal
02-13-2007, 04:28 AM
I'm heading that way after the fest too. I went to the Casbah last time i was there and saw British Sea Power. Nice little venue.

Philthy
02-13-2007, 04:48 AM
There's some cool bars there.

Visit the gaslamp area if you're going downtown. Otherwise I'd check out Pacific Beach. Lots of great people, hot girls, great bars, and beach parties.

KRINGER
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Head for the border.. all about Tijuana :thu

Bring some cash and you can do whatever the hell you want in Mexico.

[seaworld is rather kick-ass too]

kimery08
02-13-2007, 08:05 AM
hit up the gaslamp district for sure. if you go to tj be sure youre back here before it gets dark. make sure you have cash because if you or your friends get into some kind trouble that requires the police you will need to pay them off. dead serious. and check out mission beach. lots of cool stores and drinking spots.

Californicator
02-13-2007, 08:09 AM
The best website for touring San Diego is www.localwally.com

Well, you got surfers in your avatar, so i would suggest...surfing? Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, La Jolla, Torrey Pines, whatevas. They are all nice. PB and OB have international hostels, so you can chat it up with travelers. Go drinking in Pacific Beach on Garnet Avenue, or Downtown on 5th Avenue. You may or may not need a car because public transport sucks, unless you are near a trolley station. For shopping, go to Horton Plaza downtown or Fashion Valley in Mission Valley.

Sonofhal...The Casbah is every little punks favorite venue. That and Soma near the sports arena. In north county, check out the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach. They play more reggae and stuff.

For food, go to In N Out if you are not from the West. Once you've had your fill on that, try any taco shop and get a carne asada burrito or California burrito. Albertos, RObertos, or [insert any word here]bertos. While you are in Ocean Beach, get a burger at Hodads on Newport Ave. (Best burger in SD besides In N Out).

Yeah, I love San Diego. I'm young, so if you are too, I'd skip the Zoo and Sea World. Actually, go to one of them if you must. It's a toss up between the two. I would suggest going to the Wild Animal Park in Escondido, but it may be out of the way. I used to work at the gift shops there. If you go there and see an old fat grey haired lady in the main gift shop, slap her in the face for me.

Californicator
02-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Head for the border.. all about Tijuana :thu

Bring some cash and you can do whatever the hell you want in Mexico.

[seaworld is rather kick-ass too]

Actually, do not do whatever the hell you want in Mexico or else nobody will ever see you again. I used to go down to TJ to get prescription drugs and such, but its way too risky nowadays.

skavenbrew
02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Don't go to TJ, catch a ride about a half and hour south of TJ to Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo.... you'll have a much better time. Papa's N' Beer in Rosarito and lobster meals down in Puerto Nuevo. Rent a car or hop on the bus from TJ.

coop_uk
02-13-2007, 09:53 AM
thanks everyone

Californicator: good site :)

Good Days Last
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Lots of great shopping there, Horton Plaza downtown, Fashion and Mission malls.... definately the Gaslamp district.

Balboa Park is great, museums, the Prado, The Zoo, Seaworld.

There is only too much to do in San Diego. Go to Torrey Pines/La Jolla area. It's pretty there. Walk the old piers down a ways from Belmont Park.

Californicator
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
thanks everyone

Californicator: good site :)

glad we could help. we love our city.

prettydirtything
02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
buy a "4 Day Tripper" for $15 at any Trolley Station. It works for unlimited riding on all city buses and the 3 light rail lines that go everywhere from Tijuana to Santee (don't go to Santee) and everything in between.

here is a a decent music weblog at our notoriously poor local newsppaper monopoly.
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs/music/

here is some weekly press with music and venue info:
http://www.sdreader.com/
http://www.sdcitybeat.com/

get a sandwich at Poma's in O.B (@Bacon and Niagra)

grain
02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
the best thing about san diego is the weather. make sure to check the beaches.

la jolla cove.

you got 3 days? might as wel as drive up to LA at least one of them

aynalehcar
02-15-2007, 01:26 AM
It works for unlimited riding on all city buses and the 3 light rail lines that go everywhere from Tijuana to Santee (don't go to Santee)

hahaha.

Trailmix
02-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Beaches are great in San Diego but unless you have a wet suit the water will be to cold at that time of the year.

MsTekno
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
If you like sea food (take out and inexpensive) go to Point Loma Seafood in (you guessed it) - Point Loma. If you are a movie buff go to Coronado Island and the Hotel Del Coronado where they filmed "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe - they have a great public beach (yes the water is cold). Nightlife, if you like house/trance music Belo on Friday nights is a good club......they almost always have big name DJs there and a crowd with a good vibe.. It'll be April so you can check out Petco park and a Padres game - it's a great venue for baseball, not a bad seat in the house.
Just some alternative ideas than those mentioned above....