PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails?

tkrieger
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Trent Reznor announced that the group will be "disappearing" for a while, but not before a final tour. All of the dates are at festivals, with a gap at Coachella. http://www.nin.com

suprefan
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah lets see here, there is a big gap in between what is MArch and June. Anything can happen, but not Coachella ok? And its called the rumors forum, please post in the right place.

bluemamba
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Looks like a very strong possibility. Wouldnt be surprised if they got added on sat.

far gone and out
02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye
Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really fucking FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent

1. i hate when people just link stories....copy and paste is easy, use it.

2. yes, there are two dates, and while they are festivals it's already been announced that this is a co-headling tour of north america with jane's addiction where they are planning on playing ampitheatres and arenas.

far gone and out
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
NIN SUCKS

TRUTH
truth - you have no taste.

Blinken
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Not gonna happen. They are playing Bonnaroo, if NIN was doing Coach then it would have been announced. There is no reason for a long delay in booking NIN right now. It is not happening.

microcuts
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Seriously. A band of NIN's caliber is not going to be playing at both festivals. One could retort with the name Jack Johnson, and I honestly don't have a defense for that, so I'm saving anyone the trouble.

flyhalf87
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Seriously. A band of NIN's caliber is not going to be playing at both festivals. One could retort with the name Jack Johnson, and I honestly don't have a defense for that, so I'm saving anyone the trouble.

-the raconteurs also are big draw act probably of similar status to nine inch nails.

-they are both pretty rare acts as far as comparing them to similar bands is concerned.

-nine inch nails has a more devout following possibly because of trents long career but the raconteurs draws in fans of the white stripes as well.

-and maybe nine inch nails is already booked for coachella, maybe budgeting was an issue so they just kept them off the lineup on the first announcement as a surprise for fans who heard that this is the last tour for a while.

-trent likes his little stunts for publicity and theyre always stunts that fans like, its not so hard for him to keep a secret especially since he likes to be lone wolf about everything

-perry farrel is is already going to be there, coachella would be a nice place for a jane's addiction tour kickoff

-nine inch nails has played coachella, it was a day before the release of with teeth and he felt like his music had changed with his newfound sobriety so it has nostalgia for him and this year is the 20th anniversary of his first release

there is plenty of possibility for a nine inch nails announcement

also, it would seem pretty obvious in retrospect if they do in fact get announced, trent likes leaving clues

boarderwoozel3
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
NIN SUCKS

TRUTH

truth - you have no taste.

Bullokz may not like NIN and that's fine, I didn't get the hoopla until I saw the "Lights In The Sky" setup at Lolla 08. After that set I got it, they're like Radiohead. You may not care for their music but Trent Reznor is one hell of a creative force musically and an even better performer. To categorically cast aside his talent and influence on the music we hear today is quite foolish. NIN does not suck in the least, in fact, they're one of the best at what they do.

I can't wait to see what Trent comes up with next.

microcuts
02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
-the raconteurs also are big draw act probably of similar status to nine inch nails.

Eh, I guess. Except NIN are headliners while The Raconteurs are subheadliners at best. I suppose it's possible... Getting NIN/Jane's as co-headliners for Saturday would make sense for the currently complete lack of names that deserve to be on the top of that lineup.

Keep in mind this would also serve as both band's Los Angeles area appearance. I frankly don't see that happening.

boarderwoozel3
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM

In fall of 2008 in Seattle, NIN sold out Key Arena (capacity ~16k at ~$60/ticket) and the Raconteurs didn't come close to selling out the WaMu Theater (capacity ~5k at ~$35/ticket). I didn't attend the NIN show but attended the Racs show and it was a noticeably sparse crowd. They clearly should have booked a smaller theater in town. Just saying.

flyhalf87
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind this would also serve as both band's Los Angeles area appearance. I frankly don't see that happening.

very easy to kickoff at coachella and finish at home plate

flyhalf87
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
In fall of 2008 in Seattle, NIN sold out Key Arena (capacity ~16k at ~$60/ticket) and the Raconteurs didn't come close to selling out the WaMu Theater (capacity ~5k at ~$35/ticket). I didn't attend the NIN show but attended the Racs show and it was a noticeably sparse crowd. They clearly should have booked a smaller theater in town. Just saying.

it could just be a town that doesnt dig their music, that happens to every band. i went to a modest mouse show at soma in san diego venue is under 2000 people, way better than the modest mouse show i saw earlier in the year at the santa barbara bowl with 5,000 people, and they also played the hollywood bowl which seats 17,000. it varies town to town

seyrnon
02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
NIN was the one headliner I wanted even before the lineup was announced, I think they could really save saturday

boarderwoozel3
02-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Here's the deal, The Raconteurs aren't even close to Nine Inch Nails in terms of popularity or the ability to sell tickets. I don't care what city you're talking about. If you look at each band's last tour NIN played bigger venues and headlined festivals across the board. If the Raconteurs tried to headline NBA arenas with one opener like Crystal Castles they'd embarrass themselves. NIN consistently sells out these venues well before the show.

Either way, rugby is a great game, cheers.

TallGuyCM
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM

When Jack White hides secret show concert tickets under bridges in parks and shit and has fans looking up coordinates on fucking Google Earth and hopping fences at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday,

let me know.

KarmaLateralus
02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Jane's and NIN need to be added to Saturday
PLEASE!?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/nine-inch-nails-to-tour-with-jane-s-addiction-1003941860.story

boarderwoozel3
02-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, they're co-headlining Sun. at Sasquatch, and are already playing the roo. The latter makes it unlikely but who knows?

PotVsKtl
02-17-2009, 01:00 AM
When Jack White hides secret show concert tickets under bridges in parks and shit and has fans looking up coordinates on fucking Google Earth and hopping fences at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday,

let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game

It's a commonly used marketing gimmick. People do that shit for TV shows. Reznor is not a mastermind.

CellarOwl
02-17-2009, 07:06 AM
If they were actually playing Coachella, do you think the festival organizers would've settled for an altogether shitty and underwhelming Perry Farrell set when they could've just booked the return of fucking Jane's Addiction instead?

Don't hold your breath there.

Here's the deal, The Raconteurs aren't even close to Nine Inch Nails in terms of popularity or the ability to sell tickets. I don't care what city you're talking about. If you look at each band's last tour NIN played bigger venues and headlined festivals across the board. If the Raconteurs tried to headline NBA arenas with one opener like Crystal Castles they'd embarrass themselves. NIN consistently sells out these venues well before the show.

I believe the numbers reported that both legs of their most recent North American tour underperformed. Any sellout shows for Lights In The Sky were few and far between for a number of reasons, ranging from the ticket prices stemming from unheard of production values, to the fragile economy, to no active modern radio / label push--all things that Reznor was also quick point out while still on tour. Still, all things considered, it is beyond impressive what he was able to have organized and coordinated. The shows were spectacular.

garrett222
02-17-2009, 07:10 AM
the vegas show seemed pretty darn packed to me.

TallGuyCM
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game

It's a commonly used marketing gimmick. People do that shit for TV shows. Reznor is not a mastermind.

I'm not saying he's a mastermind. I'm merely pointing out that his fanbase is 10,000 times larger and more devoted and even more psycho than your ol' Raconteurs fanbase.

brando4n82
02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah lets see here, there is a big gap in between what is MArch and June. Anything can happen, but not Coachella ok? And its called the rumors forum, please post in the right place.

oh shut the fuck up chris. Do your panties get wet making posts like this?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
the Raconteurs vs. NIN comaprison is laughable

In their recent tours, Raconturs played 3k-6k venues where NIN played 12k-20k arenas

that says it right there

tigermilkboy
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
NIN-going 20 years, some 8 major releases.

Raconteurs-3 to 4 years, two albums.

That would account for the differences in fan base, after some 20 years you would hope to have a decent following.

I'm an alias...
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
1. i hate when people just link stories....copy and paste is easy, use it.

Some forums won't allow it due to copyright reasons. You're supposed to only post links.

This isn't one of those forums though. But he's new.

AlecEiffel
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Nine Inch Nails has had a storied twenty year career. Broken and the Fragile are both platinum records, Pretty Hate Machine is triple platinum and the Downward Spiral has gone Platinum four times. They have had fifteen top twenty singles on Billboards modern rock charts, seven of those top ten, four number one. They have been nominated for twelve Grammy's and have won two. They have had several successful arena tours and have managed to stay relevant, including radio singles, despite losing major label backings.

The Raconteurs have been together for about four years, they are a relatively under the radar side project that thrives not on their own merit, but on that of their frontman's name. They have put out two moderately selling albums, three successful singles (1, 7 and 4 on the modern rock charts), and have come nowhere near to being the live draw that NIN is.

The Raconteurs aren't necessarily bad and Nine Inch Nails isn't necessarily good, but as far as comparisons of draws and popularity there is absolutely no contest.

sacleonard
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
NIN-going 20 years, some 8 major releases.

Raconteurs-3 to 4 years, two albums.

That would account for the differences in fan base, after some 20 years you would hope to have a decent following.

Yes, The White Stripes would have been a closer comparison, but still not in the same league. Raconteurs are good, but don't stand up to either act.

sacleonard
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Bullokz may not like NIN and that's fine, I didn't get the hoopla until I saw the "Lights In The Sky" setup at Lolla 08. After that set I got it, they're like Radiohead. You may not care for their music but Trent Reznor is one hell of a creative force musically and an even better performer. To categorically cast aside his talent and influence on the music we hear today is quite foolish. NIN does not suck in the least, in fact, they're one of the best at what they do.

I can't wait to see what Trent comes up with next.

I just made this same comparison earlier today with a co-worker. In addition to the live factor, both NIN and Radiohead are releasing studio material on their own terms. I have a high level of respect for both artists.

steve7268
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I also want to point out that Pretty Hate Machine was off of the shelves for EIGHT YEARS before they were able to start selling it again.. that makes the triple platinum even more amazing..

I think a lot of people listen to a few songs and decide that they don't like a certain band, and then stick to that judgement for years and years just because they want to feel "right". If that is the case, and you haven't at least browsed each album for something you like, then i have nothing to say to you.

You can't just look at songs like Closer, Head Like a Hole, and Hurt and be done with it.. there are so many other great ones and they are all unique. I am very sad that i missed his tour last summer... i challenge anyone to YouTube some of his lives shows from "Lights in the Sky" and not be at least a little intrigued, if not AMAZED.

I would absolutely DIE if they announced NIN at Coachella on Saturday, but, I'm going to Bonnaroo as well so it's no big deal if they don't.

obzen
02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
the raconteurs also are big draw act probably of similar status to nine inch nails.

somebody had a bowl of stupid this morning

Devin the Dude
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
if you're not wet thinking about this..

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5CSApSSgM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sG5CSApSSgM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

you're probably gay.

Devin the Dude
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah.. gay is the only thing i could think of to describe you. if you don't want them. yep.

Blinken
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Won't happen, get over it.

SFChrissy
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
http://pitchfork.tv/pitchfork-live/janes-addiction/

thephatkat
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
yeah.. gay is the only thing i could think of to describe you. if you don't want them. yep.

hmm...seeing as i'm gay and i'd want nothing more than for this to happen...you're gonna need to think of something else.