PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the Simpsons sunday?

HunterGather
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
They got this spiffy new look and updated opening title sequence.
The animation looks similar to the way it does in the movie.

The episode itself wasn't that great, but I still watch anyway.

qZGz1Ajg7QU

OnlyNonStranger
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, too bad the digital switch got pushed back until June.

Looks nice though

Boourns
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I missed the first few minutes because I assumed it would be late or not airing at all due to fucking NASCAR :(

MissingPerson
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Nice clean update on the titles.

Love the thing with Maggie and that baby with the one eyebrow.

EDIT: That really looks like I said something about putting something on titties.

HunterGather
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
nice clean update on the titties.

corbo
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
the episode actually wasnt that bad....

this is the first time ive seen it in years!...

kreutz2112
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I lol'd when homer got hit.

shakermaker113
02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
good god. it took them twenty years to update it.

fikus222
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I like it....even the episode was better than most of the more recent ones.

M Sparks
02-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Yeah, too bad the digital switch got pushed back until June.

What does that have to do with this?

And it's not a "digital switch". It's an analog cutoff. Stations have been required to be digital since...I'm going to say 2003 at least, because I was working at a station when it happened, and I quit in 2004.

And it's an analog cutoff DEADLINE. A ton of stations are still turning off analog today, and some already did. Hawaii went all digital last month. Budgets are already done for the year, and they don't include running an extra transmitter for an extra 4 months.

Don't fall for the government smoke and mirrors. Moving the deadline was all about CYA. The feds told the stations years ago that they were REQUIRED to turn off their analog signals by today. They had to spend the extra money to do it and get prepared, and they all did.

Now the government doesn't want all the stupid people who couldn't get their shit together to be mad at them. So they make a big deal about "moving the date." The stations could still shut off analog on time if they wanted...just had to file some paperwork. But now, when these idiots complain, they can blame it on the stations...even though the stations were originally forced into it by the feds.

And how will four months matter anyway, when these people couldn't get a converter with 5 or 6 years notice?

EDIT- Sorry to go off topic, but ONS started it. :)

sbessiso
02-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Man, that was awesome!!

coldstart
02-17-2009, 05:01 AM
What does that have to do with this?

And it's not a "digital switch". It's an analog cutoff. Stations have been required to be digital since...I'm going to say 2003 at least, because I was working at a station when it happened, and I quit in 2004.

And it's an analog cutoff DEADLINE. A ton of stations are still turning off analog today, and some already did. Hawaii went all digital last month. Budgets are already done for the year, and they don't include running an extra transmitter for an extra 4 months.

Don't fall for the government smoke and mirrors. Moving the deadline was all about CYA. The feds told the stations years ago that they were REQUIRED to turn off their analog signals by today. They had to spend the extra money to do it and get prepared, and they all did.

Now the government doesn't want all the stupid people who couldn't get their shit together to be mad at them. So they make a big deal about "moving the date." The stations could still shut off analog on time if they wanted...just had to file some paperwork. But now, when these idiots complain, they can blame it on the stations...even though the stations were originally forced into it by the feds.

And how will four months matter anyway, when these people couldn't get a converter with 5 or 6 years notice?

EDIT- Sorry to go off topic, but ONS started it. :)

People are just too damn cheap to go out and buy the box and are waiting for the government issued coupon to save a few bucks. Too bad there are a few million people on the waiting list for the coupons. About 10% of the population had all analog sets in their houses a year ago. I would hate to be a receptionist at any TV station today.

marooko
02-17-2009, 05:43 AM
what does digital have anything to do with it? digital doesnt mean its HD.

M Sparks
02-17-2009, 06:23 AM
People are just too damn cheap to go out and buy the box and are waiting for the government issued coupon to save a few bucks. Too bad there are a few million people on the waiting list for the coupons. About 10% of the population had all analog sets in their houses a year ago. I would hate to be a receptionist at any TV station today.

My mother in law is the cheapest, least tech-savvy person on earth. When I arrived to visit last Christmas, she had a brand new HDTV for her living room (a 26" Westinghouse...whoo-hoo!) and a converter box for her bedroom, waiting for me to hook up. She had some rabbit ears from the 70's, and I had to go get a 75-300 converter for the bedroom. (The bedroom TV was so old, it had screw connectors.)

My father has never even had cable in his life. When I told him he would probably never be able to get actual HD over the air (he lives in a small town and gets everything by analog translators), he got Dish Network.

That 10% doesn't mean anything. Actually, I'm surprised it wasn't higher. It doesn't matter if you have "all analog sets" if you have cable or satellite.

The current figure on "unprepared" people is about 5%. But even those numbers are vastly inflated. For one thing, they count people who have coupons, or even actual boxes, but haven't purchased or hooked them up yet.

Also, as for all those people on the "waiting list" for free boxes, that doesn't mean they "need" them. For example, my M-I-L got the free box for her bedroom, but has a new digital TV in the living room. I'm pretty sure my dad got a free converter, which he doesn't even need...he has DISH and no digital signals.

There are also a ton of coupons out there that never even got used. There are programs around to donate unused coupons for distribution to the poor and elderly.

But it's been years and years coming. I don't have much sympathy for the 2-3% who aren't prepared.

I still don't see how this has anything to do with The Simpsons. :)

EDIT...found the official figure...1/3rd of all full-power stations are still going ahead with the cutoff today.

marooko
02-17-2009, 07:10 AM
the more i read about this, the more im confused.

how does one get non digital satellite?

Blinken
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
You can't Marooko Dish Network is digital.

marooko
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
ive been under the impression that if you have any sort of box, you have digital. be it a comcast, box, a satellite box or whatever. but i keep reading stuff where people sound WAAAAAAY off, and then it makes me wonder if im right or not.

and digital DOES NOT mean its HD. HD means its HD.

why is this all so difficult to understand?

shakermaker113
02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
yay simpsons.

I'm an alias...
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM
the more i read about this, the more im confused.

how does one get non digital satellite?

Well, there's still analog C-Band and KU-Band satellite out there, but that's beside the point.

No one said anything about "non-digital satellite". The point is, it doesn't matter if you have an analog TV if you have cable or satellite. So that 10% doesn't mean anything.

ive been under the impression that if you have any sort of box, you have digital. be it a comcast, box, a satellite box or whatever.

The incoming signal for DirecTV or DISH is digital, but most people still use an analog output, so it doesn't matter if they have an analog TV. In fact, I even use an analog HD output on my DISH receiver, because the digital HD output doesn't work right.

As for cable, same thing, though most cable systems have an analog/digital hybrid system. I'm sure there are still all-analog cable systems in small towns. In any case, the cable box does the work, so it still doesn't matter if people have an analog TV.

why is this all so difficult to understand?

It's not. Bottom line, this "conversion" affects very few people, and you probably don't know any of them.

marooko
02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
oh im sorry, how does one get ". . .DISH and no digital signal." ?

Hannahrain
02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
This person (http://www.last.fm/event/929272) is playing Eugene. I think it is Mrs. Botz.

M Sparks
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
oh im sorry, how does one get ". . .DISH and no digital signal." ?

I meant no digital OVER THE AIR signals. (And yes, satellite signals come though the air, but "OTA" refers to terrestrial signals.)

He doesn't need a converter box, because all his TV comes through either DISH Network, or analog translators. The analog cutoff does not apply to translators or LPTV stations. That's all he gets over his antenna.

marooko
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
so when does it make sense that people just get these boxes?

you know what?, forget it. im done hijacking this thread, sorry.

so....the Simpsons.....

emtgreg
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
This HD nonsense, and the "end" of analog tv service is a joke...

It only impacts those people who do not use a subscription television service.

Mainly this is a giant ploy by walmart, best buy, etc, to sell hd capable tv's to the uninitiated, the poor, the ignorant, the unwashed masses...

emtgreg
02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Basically, if you have the ability to post on this thread, this thread hijack does not apply to you.

:)

Yes, the simpsons is rad, I like the new intro sequence...its lulzy...

now, lets talk about Battlestar!

Blinken
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
It only applies if you have an antenna and an old TV. Do you just get network TV?

New intro is great, now they just need to up the quality of the episodes and we will be good to go.

slurpee
02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Thats pretty funny...

I was watching it and thought the new opening was something special.

I thought my self..."How long has there been a new opening?"

M Sparks
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
so when does it make sense that people just get these boxes?

you know what?, forget it. im done hijacking this thread, sorry.

so....the Simpsons.....

You didn't hijack it, I did, but it wasn't my fault- OnlyNonStranger made a random comment about it. And I'll be done after this.

Converter boxes are only for people who meet ALL these requirements.

1)Don't have cable/satellite/VOIP/whatever- free TV only.
2)Haven't bought a TV in the last 8-10 years or so. (All recent TVs...even non HD ones...have digital tuners.)
3)Live in a city that actually has full power TV stations. If, for example, you live in Cedar City, UT...you get SLC TV stations brought in on translators. Those translators will likely remain analog for the forseeable future.

However, since people don't pay attention, they all asked for these damn coupons and then never used them. People should have had to prove a hardship to get them. I'm sick of subsidizing stupid, cheap people.

OK, I'm done too. SIMPSONS!

I'm an alias...
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Mainly this is a giant ploy by walmart, best buy, etc, to sell hd capable tv's to the uninitiated, the poor, the ignorant, the unwashed masses...

That's a bit far into conspiracy territory. However, they are certainly being opportunistic, as our the companies that have been cranking out these converter boxes that most people don't need.

And it still has nothing to do with HD. Regular TVs as small as 13" have been digital capable for years. If the government was in on it with Walmart, they wouldn't be giving out these coupons.

It's mainly typical government BS. The TV industry wanted to progress by going digital. FCC said OK, but required them to give back their analog frequencies after the transitional period, so the government could auction them off again. FCC required stations to "educate" consumers...but TV oversimplifies everything, so now every dolt out there thinks it's going to affect them.

Basically, if you have the ability to post on this thread, this thread hijack does not apply to you.

Awesome. :)