PDA

View Full Version : Why I think U2 will be added to Saturday

shotglass75
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
This is just a theory I have had for a while now ever since the lineup was delayed and I thought I'd just share it with you. It's not that I am dying to see U2 or am really that big of a fan but I do think that having them on top of the lineup over The Killers would make much more sense.

Ok, so my thoughts are that Goldenvoice was trying to work out a deal with U2 and Live Nation to get them to headline. I think (and this is all speculation) but I think that U2 wants to start playing festivals. They have toured the world over, they have sold out stadiums all over, but they have nott done a major US festival and I think that they want to. There is no reason for them not to and they are one of the only Major bands (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, RATM, etc) not to play one yet. Now being in the position that they are in with Live Nation kinda restricts their freedom to do whatever they want but I am pretty sure there is some sort of "escape clause" for certain situations. I could see Goldenvoice trying to negotiate a deal with Live Nation and I could actually see Live Nation being difficult to work with in this scenerio. (there have been rumors going around for years that said that Live Nation was trying to buy out Coachella from Goldenvoice or Goldenvoice altogether)
U2 would probably play for 1.5 - 3 million which I would imagine is in the budget for Goldenvoice but I think that Live Nation wants more out of the deal (sponsorship, future deals, etc). This, in my opinion, is why the lineup was delayed. I can't really see any of the other artists on the poster having a difficult time negotiating out a deal.
Since U2 hasn't released any tour information this possibility could still be on the table. And I think that if they haven't already, Coachella could very well have struck a deal with them and are just waiting for the right time (release date of the album) to announce them as the Saturday headliner. I dunno. It could be cool seeing U2 out in the desert 30 miles from where the inspiration to The Joshua Tree was made.

Like I said this is all speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

AlecEiffel
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Why the Cure this year? My guess is that maybe they were having difficulty getting a deal ironed out with a Sunday headliner and it didn't end up working out so they grabbed the Cure at the last minute. Either way, I think the headliners are the headliners at this point.

KungFuJay
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Here is my theory on why Paul McCartney is playing this year. They asked him to and offered him a lot of money, and he said yes.

AlecEiffel
02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Here is my theory on why Paul McCartney is playing this year. They asked him to and offered him a lot of money, and he said yes.

Where did you get this information? link?

whynotsmile99
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Where did you get this information? link?

read that in rolling stone. i posted it in one of the mccartney threads

beavington
02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
bands dont generally make that much money per show...it doesnt really happen not even when they are headlining.
the only time shit loads of money are thrown at them, i am pretty sure, is when it is the only way to get them. I think they could get U2 for a million at most.

The Killers are the headliner, the only other headliner that might be added is a Sahara headliner.

shotglass75
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
bands dont generally make that much money per show...it doesnt really happen not even when they are headlining.
the only time shit loads of money are thrown at them, i am pretty sure, is when it is the only way to get them. I think they could get U2 for a million at most.

The Killers are the headliner, the only other headliner that might be added is a Sahara headliner.

Actually come to think of it, you are right with that about the million. A band like U2 who people can see all the time probably wouldn't be paid as much as I first said, but still they would be a much bigger draw to the desert than The Killers. I'm whatever with the Killers. Makes no dif at this point. I just am still wondering who the holdup was with the lineup.

obzen
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
really,no crystal ball?
you couldnt see it?

:)

u2 doesnt seem like its out of the realm of possiblity-but i hope its Bowie.

SF_Excuse
02-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I think U2 has a better chance at headlining Outsidelands than Coachella now at this point... and yes Outsidelands is a new festival but Radiohead landed their UFO in Golden Gate Park last summer so I'm sure anything is possible for the next.

TallGuyCM
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
This is just a theory I have had for a while now ever since the lineup was delayed and I thought I'd just share it with you. It's not that I am dying to see U2 or am really that big of a fan but I do think that having them on top of the lineup over The Killers would make much more sense.

Ok, so my thoughts are that Goldenvoice was trying to work out a deal with U2 and Live Nation to get them to headline. I think (and this is all speculation) but I think that U2 wants to start playing festivals. They have toured the world over, they have sold out stadiums all over, but they have nott done a major US festival and I think that they want to. There is no reason for them not to and they are one of the only Major bands (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, RATM, etc) not to play one yet. Now being in the position that they are in with Live Nation kinda restricts their freedom to do whatever they want but I am pretty sure there is some sort of "escape clause" for certain situations. I could see Goldenvoice trying to negotiate a deal with Live Nation and I could actually see Live Nation being difficult to work with in this scenerio. (there have been rumors going around for years that said that Live Nation was trying to buy out Coachella from Goldenvoice or Goldenvoice altogether)
U2 would probably play for 1.5 - 3 million which I would imagine is in the budget for Goldenvoice but I think that Live Nation wants more out of the deal (sponsorship, future deals, etc). This, in my opinion, is why the lineup was delayed. I can't really see any of the other artists on the poster having a difficult time negotiating out a deal.
Since U2 hasn't released any tour information this possibility could still be on the table. And I think that if they haven't already, Coachella could very well have struck a deal with them and are just waiting for the right time (release date of the album) to announce them as the Saturday headliner. I dunno. It could be cool seeing U2 out in the desert 30 miles from where the inspiration to The Joshua Tree was made.

Interesting theory. Too bad we'd get 2009-era U2 (Bono = giant douchebag) instead of 1991-era U2 (Achtung Baby = their best album by leaps and bounds)

shabana
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM

i hope you're right- i dont still get what would hold the line up release for so long- definitely not the killers or the cure

Alchemy
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I was on this theory since day one. (http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=976863&postcount=14)

scoop49er
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
here are some theories being thrown out there and what ive dug up as of now:

start by assuming they will add-no one.. prince was already in the books, it was just a matter of making sure he was healthy to go....

u2: doubtful... coachella is a perfect fit but the live nation association i think is too muhch to overcome.. plus with the economy as it is, u2 managment will not want to give up any publicity to coachella when it can keep it for themselves and do mulitple nights at the staples center.

Metallica: this is very possible and wayyyyyyy out of the box only cuz the killers would have to go on before and that doesnt seem like a solid mix.. so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......

bottom line is any headliner they would add would have to be someone to bring strictly for ticket sales so forget NIN, and Jane's addiction or Oasis, etc,etc ........ they are great bands but 10-20 thousand will not buy single day tix to see them......

i dont know, saturday just looks incomplete.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

suprefan
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
No U2, tour is booked and ready to go. LN makes more money off 2 nights from them in any city than a one off with GV even with a huge payout.

biggfoot17
02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......

Where did you hear these killers/sahara rumors? that would suck...really really suck

obzen
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
start by assuming they will add-no one.. prince was already in the books, it was just a matter of making sure he was healthy to go....

Metallica: this is very possible and wayyyyyyy out of the box only cuz the killers would have to go on before and that doesnt seem like a solid mix.. so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......

i dont know, saturday just looks incomplete.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scoop,you motherfucker-if youre right ill buy you a six-pack!

betao
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I will punch a kitten if The Killers play the Sahara.

rskapcat
02-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Don't do it, GV. Think of the kittens! :(

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
No U2, tour is booked and ready to go. LN makes more money off 2 nights from them in any city than a one off with GV even with a huge payout.

O RLY? SO who for Saturday?

deeznutz
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Gorillaz

clumsy342
02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
oh fuck...
I hope the "legendary band with all it's original members" for Sasquatch isn't U2.
shitty... I could see that though.. I mean, they got R.E.M. last year.

Grant
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I still think Outkast would be awsum.

Outkast
Jamiroquai - the Chemical Brothers - Blur
Orbital - Röyksopp - Fever Ray

Just cancel the first two names on Sat. and replace! (teehee)

sacleonard
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Why the Cure this year? My guess is that maybe they were having difficulty getting a deal ironed out with a Sunday headliner and it didn't end up working out so they grabbed the Cure at the last minute. Either way, I think the headliners are the headliners at this point.

I doubt that's true. The Cure had a well-received tour, and you're the first person that's suggested it to be a result of someone else falling out. Saturday's headliner has been the only one in question.

goldfromla
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
The killers r saturdays headliners. U2 won't go unless they r headliners. Therefore they won't go because the killers will headline

malcolmjamalawesome
02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I would rather see The Killers than U2.

I would rather see Lady Sovereign than the Killers.