PDA

View Full Version : Question about movie editing...

Californicator
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
So, I've been looking for Coachella home videos on youtube and such, but they all suck because everybody films on a digital camera or a cell phone camera. Nobody uses a video camera because they are not allowed in. I snuck mine into Coachella '03 and took a good hour of footage that I think many would like to see, along with tons of other shows and concerts. However, when I plug into my computer, it does not recognize it and the editing software that came with the PC doesn't either. FYI, I have a Sony IP5 which uses micro mv tapes (MPEG 4?) and an HP Pavilion a1120n PC running a Pentium 4 and Windows XP. No, I don't have any software or literature that came with the camera because I bought it off some guy I used to work with. All that came with it was the battery charger, AC cord, and video cords. I bought a firewire cable to connect to a PC. What do I have to do? I know this question is almost impossible to answer without actually being here to look at my equipment. Should I hire those guys from Geek Squad to check it out?

Also, I learned that filming at shows sucks because you can't move or dance or else you'll end up with a really shitty video that nobody wants to watch, so I stopped bringing my camera everywhere. Hopefully, I can start storing movies on my PC, then I'll bring the camera out more often and be able to share some of the stuff I have archived.

any help is appreciated.

vicorintian
02-13-2007, 07:36 AM
hey! mmmm wish i could help more but i am just an amateur too.
a while back i tried to capture some video and downloaded a buch of video capture software free trials... i dont remember which one i used but the only one that i still have in my computer is the Win Avi video converter. records in real time so you press play in the camera and rec on the software.

but, if the CPU doesnt recognize your camera, i would sugest,getting help in your local video store. perhaps trying to buy specialiced software like Sony Vegas or Adobe premiere. dunno how expensive are those.

Perhaps you have a mac user you can ask for help. the default software in the mac OS is almost profesional.

CiderMouseRules
02-13-2007, 02:30 PM
http://www.google.com

fober
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.google.com

I agree.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/hardware-problems/4548-capturing-minidv-camera.html

Haven't visited that link, it's just the first thing that Google spit out.

fatbastard
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Does not sound hopefull.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DCR_IP5/4852-6500_7-8360529.html?tag=sub

Full user opinion
I intended to used this camera as a second unit in 5 weeks of professional mountain filming (Austrian Alps, Moroccan Atlas Mtns, and Greece's Olympus Mtns) but its size (and lack of weight) made it a first unit very often. However, I was concerned about the final quality.

Upon return to the US I found the quality comprable to any of our full-size Sony 3CCD units. Editors couldn't tell the difference when viewing footage from the fullsize camera and this micro.

Problems:

Finding micro tapes in many countries. Couldn't find them at all in all Eastern Block or third world countries. In Austria I found them only at one large electronic outlet for almost $50 each.

Couldn't use the output with any of our professional (or consumer) editing software. So had to transport the content of the micro tapes to Sony PCs (only new ones with DV-Gate Plus) then translate and export the content to a mini-dv camera. Then import the content back to the PC for Final Cut Pro editing. The process took approx 4 hours per one hour of original tape.

Basically the backend time to get the content into an editor is unacceptable. I gave the camera away as a result. It is strickly a consumer product.

I think this product violates the UK Sale of Goods Act. What is the point of creating a camcorder which cannot be downloaded for editing ? I agree with others that Movieshaker is crap and it frequently crashes my PC. I then turned to Ulead VideoStudio 7. This does work, but only when it feels like it and requires a very specific sequence to be followed to prevent the software from crashing. For instance, if you press capture when the tape is not already running it crashes. As a matter of professional pride how could Sony release a camcorder which fundamentally does not do what it says on the packet ?I have 18 MMV tapes full of family memories and no way to download these unless I take three weeks off work. Even then I would have to spend half of each day trying to download and the other half in anger management therapy. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, life is too short.

vicorintian
02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
ULEAD!!! thats the program i used!!

kroqken
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Let's see some of the crappy footage from Coachella 2007 cell phone attendees.

thelastgreatman
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
First, make sure you got one of these since Sony can be bitchy http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11040679&tab=Features

Then jack a copy of Sony Vegas off Bittorrent. I should hope that would solve your beef.

caco0283
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
it would help me if i knew what software you are using to edit