PDA

View Full Version : Voltaic (Bjork DVD/CD set!)

HunterGather
02-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Voltaic

We are announcing Voltaic, the celebration of Volta and the Volta live show. The release will consist of various live recordings from Paris and Reykjavik. The live set was also recorded in a studio in London, which will undoubtedly give us some rare glimpse into the development of the live set.

The release will be availble as Standard, Deluxe and Deluxe Vinyl.
Björk did document the tour extensively and now we will be able to enjoy this work in a new light and new sound.

DISC ONE (AUDIO) Songs From The Volta Tour Performed Live At Olympic Studios
DISC TWO (DVD) The Volta Tour Live In Paris, Live in Reykjavik
DISC THREE (DVD) The Volta Videos and the video competition
DISC FOUR (CD) The Volta Mixes.

http://assets1.pitchforkmedia.com/images/original/148867.voltaic525.gif

suprefan
02-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Sweet, Reactable!!!

HunterGather
02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I've seen a few variations of the live DVD track-listing though...
I don't think its gonna have the entire shows from each Paris and Reykjavik.
Going by this, they cut out some songs from the Paris show :(

edit: Fucking shit. UNISON nor UNRAVEL is in no way represented in this package!
The brass arrangements on these songs this tour were awesome!

Disc 1 (CD)
Songs From The Volta Tour [Performed Live At Olympic Studios]
1. Wanderlust
2. Hunter
3. The Pleasure Is All Mine
4. Innocence
5. Army Of Me
6. I Miss You
7. Earth Intruders
8. All Is Full Of Love
9. Pagan Poetry
10. Vertebrae By Vertebrae
11. Declare Independence

Disc 2 (DVD) - The Volta Tour:
Live In Paris:
1. Brenniõ Piõ Vitar
2. Earth Intruders
3. Hunter
4. Immature
5. Jóga
6. The Pleasure Is All Mine
7. Vertebrae By Vertebrae
8. Where Is The Line
9. Who Is It
10. Desired Constellation
11. Army Of Me
12. Triumph Of A Heart
13. Bachelorette
14. Wanderlust
15. Hyperballad
16. Pluto
17. Declare Independence

Live In Reykjavik:
18. Pneumonia
19. Cover Me
20. My Juvenile
21. Immature
22. The Dull Flame Of Desire
23. Vökuró
24. Sonnets / Unrealities xi
25. Mouth's Cradle

Disc 3 (DVD) - The Volta Videos:
1. Earth Intruders
2. Declare Independence
3. Innocence
4. Wanderlust
5. The Dull Flame Of Desire
6. Declare Independence - The Making Of
7. Wanderlust - The Making Of

The Competition: Top Ten Runners
Up for "Innocence" [In Alphabetical Order]
* Davood Saghiri
* Dimitri Stankowicz
* Etienne Strube
* Julien Himmer
* Laurent Labouille
* Mario Caporali
* Mik o_o Armellino
* Renato Klieger And Terracotta
* Roland Matusek

Disc 4 (CD) - The Volta Mixes:
1. Earth Intruders – Xxxchange Remix
2. Innocence – Simian Mobile Disco Remix
3. Declare Independence – Matthew Herbert Remix
4. Wanderlust – Ratata Remix
5. The Dull Flame Of Desire – Modeselektor Remix For Girls
6. Earth Intruders – Lexx Remix
7. Innocence – Graeme Sinden Remix
8. Declare Independence – Ghostigital Remix
9. The Dull Flame Of Desire – Modeselektor Remix For Boys
10. Innocence – Alva Noto Unitxt Remodel
11. Declare Independence – Black Pus Remix
12. Innocence – Siman Mobile Disco Dub Remix

HunterGather
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
FINALLY.

The release date is June 23rd, and comes in 5 different packaging options.
Ideally, everyone should get the 2CD/2DVD combo...

http://bjork.com/special/voltaic/

victhebrick21
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
How can they not have Unravel.. maybe one of the best songs ever written!!

leo01g
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

HunterGather
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
How can they not have Unravel.. maybe one of the best songs ever written!!

Not only that, but the version on this tour with the brass+the brass girls singing back up was amazing!

Too bad it's not on this set in any form...

ArcadeParade
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I am gettin the 2CD 2DVD package...really would like to see her in person again sooner than later!

hawkingvsreeve
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
ATTN: BJORK

LESS REPACKAGING

MORE NEW ALBUMS

GOD DAMMIT

suprefan
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
You forgot to put ''love: brandon'' in tiny font

hawkingvsreeve
04-29-2009, 08:43 PM
It was the heat of the moment.

Tellin me what your heart meant.

Aphxtwinin
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Not only that, but the version on this tour with the brass+the brass girls singing back up was amazing!

Too bad it's not on this set in any form...

im pretty sure the live set recorded at the Olympic Studios is with the brass backing live band. and i just found the recording on the tubes, dl now i will confirm....edit: yep it is with the brass band

airguitarvet
04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
preordered ages ago.

HunterGather
04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
i know that...

I'm saying specifically the song UNRAVEL was great with the horn arrangement.

whynotsmile99
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
wow day 1 purchase for me. Volta was my least favorite Bjork album but this looks like a beautiful set. Another live/music video collection from Bjork is always good.

cheap too.

35 bucks on amazon.

the iceland concert is apparently all acoustic

http://www.amazon.com/Voltaic-International-Deluxe-CDs-DVDs/dp/B001OHS68Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241068879&sr=8-1

whynotsmile99
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
good shit. can't wait for that live stuido recording either

Björk announces a very special DVD/CD/VINYL recording, Voltaic on June 23, 2009, world wide! And we also announce the Voltaic Special now!

Available in five different physical configurations, Voltaic is a lovingly packaged celebration of the past two years of Björk’s Volta activities—her critically praised sixth studio album, which came out in 2007, and the subsequent two-year world tour.

Nonesuch Records will release it in the US. One Little Indian in the UK and Universal for the rest of the world

Voltaic DVD 1 contains filmed highlights from the Volta tour, recorded in Paris and Reykjavik, with performances of songs from Volta as well as tracks from previous albums including Hunter, Joga, Army of Me, and Hyperballad.

Björk’s band on the Volta tour included Mark Bell (LFO) on computers and keyboards and Damian Taylor on keyboards and programming. Drums and percussion were played by Chris Corsano (Sonic Youth, etc.); Jónas Sen played piano, harpsichord, and church organ; and Björk’s all female Icelandic 10-piece brass section rounded out the group. A dynamic, grand live experience, the Volta tour has been acclaimed around the world. As the Guardian (UK) said in its five-star review, “Björk delivers a performance as visually spectacular as it is musically innovative. Fifteen years into her solo career Björk remains the least compromising and most fantastical pop superstar talent.”

Voltaic DVD 2 features all of the Volta music videos, including the “Declare Independence” clip directed by celebrated Oscar winning French director Michel Gondry; the “Wanderlust” video directed by encyclopedia pictura; and the “Earth Intruders” video directed by renowned French animator Michel Ocelot.

Voltaic CD 1 is a selection of songs from the Volta tour recorded live at the legendary Olympic Studios in London, just before Björk’s headlining show at the Glastonbury Festival in 2007. It was recorded in one afternoon, and the whole set was played live and captured in one take before being produced and mixed by Björk.

Voltaic CD 2 features key remixes from Volta, with versions of “Earth Intruders,” “Declare Independence,” “Innocence,” “Wanderlust,” and “Dull Flame of Desire,” by the likes of Simian Mobile Disco, Matthew Herbert, Graeme Sinden, Ghostigital, and Modeselektor.

shakermaker113
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd be all for new albums too, but I won't reject this. open arms.

HunterGather
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Sweet!
The concert(s) from the live DVD is gonna have screenings. More dates to come! Would be awesome if its screened in Florida. I mean, the thing comes out June 23rd, but still. It'd be cool to see it in a small theatre.

(from bjork.com)
Björk’s Voltaic: The Volta Tour will be screened nationwide in the USA this June and July. The more than 15 screenings coincide with the release of the very special DVD/CD/VINYL recording Voltaic, which is being released in the U.S. by Nonesuch Records on June 23, OLI in the UK and Universal elsewhere.

Available in five different physical configurations, Voltaic is a lovingly packaged celebration of the past two years of activities surrounding Björk’s Volta—her critically praised sixth studio album, which came out in 2007.

Below are the confirmed screenings and we will be updating the Voltaic Special aswell.

CONFIRMED SCREENINGS
June 17 Boulder, CO Boulder Theater
June 19, 20 Anchorage, AK Bear Tooth Theater
June 20 Philadelphia, PA 941 Theater
June 23 New York, NY School of Visual Arts Theater
June 23 Los Angeles, CA The Montalban Theater
June 23 Madison, WI The Orpheum Stage Door
June 23-28 Oxford, MS The Amp
June 23-28 Lake Geneva, WI Geneva Theater
June 24 Minneapolis, MN The Trylon Microcinema
June 26, 27 Seattle, WA Northwest Film Forum
June 26, 27 San Francisco, CA The Roxie
June 26, 27 Bellingham, WA Pickford Film Center
June 26, 27 New Orleans, LA Zeitgeist Arts Center
July 20 Austin, TX Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
(more dates to be announced at www.cinemapurgatorio.com)

http://bjork.com/db/images/voltaic_live_poster.jpg

Aphxtwinin
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
dont expect florida...we always get shafted

HunterGather
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
And its OUT today!
Here's a clip of Declare Independence from the Paris show:
http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/3674-bjork-declare-independence-live-nonesuch

I imagine the whole DVD is on youtube already, but im gonna wait til i get a copy for myself to watch on my big 'ol tv.

Edit: On 2nd look, it might not come out til the 30th, looking at FYE and Best Buy.com......

Aphxtwinin
06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
dammit i wanna see this sooo bad....i wonder whats holding up my Deluxe Edition!

whynotsmile99
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
yea, same here. Amazon says its going to come end of July

obzen
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I will own this.

Aphxtwinin
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
yea, same here. Amazon says its going to come end of July

if you change it to Overnight shipping you will get it on July 1, next Wed!

Aphxtwinin
06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
fuck amazon just pushed it back another week....July 8

DHARMA2112
06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah I pre-ordered the Deluxe Vinyl box set of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Voltaic-Limited-Deluxe-Vinyl-Gram/dp/B0028P4WBS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246059807&sr=8-4

Hopefully it stops getting pushed back. 200 Gram tho, Woo!!

Aphxtwinin
06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
yea i got the same, im itching for the vinyl!!!! and i wanna watch the DVD really bad too

DHARMA2112
06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
yea i got the same, im itching for the vinyl!!!! and i wanna watch the DVD really bad too

Packaging is prob going to be breath taking. I really can't wait.

Aphxtwinin
06-26-2009, 05:29 PM
i hope it comes with a poster

ArcadeParade
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I am about to order!

whynotsmile99
07-01-2009, 09:53 AM
just got the 2 dvd/2cd set from amazon

haven't thrown anything on yet, but the packaging is beautiful and weird, as only bjork can do it. I wish the overall set was a bit bulkier, or more like a proper DVD case. It's about as thick as a deluxe edition CD, it just doesn't stand out much on the shelf.

the only thing that sucks is the damn thing doesn't close. I never bought the physical copy of Volta but it seems similar to the complaints I've read about the packaging. this shitty sticker essentially seals the whole package together. Too bad the glue from the sticker has melted onto the packaging leaving a nasty stain and the sticker will not re stick. so you gotta tape it shut or something

this amazon review says it best:

The content for this release is unquestionably good. For those of us who didn't get to see Ms. Gudmundsdottir on the Volta tour the concert DVD included in this set is the next best thing. The addition of the remixed tracks, the "live" studio recordings and the disc of Volta videos is just icing on the cake that make the set well worth the money.

Where the set falls apart is in its "innovative" packaging. The outer case is cardboard that is held closed by a sticker (the colored teardrop you see in the pic is a sticker). Once this sticker is removed to access the discs, it cannot be replaced so the outer box cannot be closed again. In fact, removing the sticker removed some of the gloss coat on my package ruining the outer sleeve. Not what one expects at this price point. The interior of the package is cool but the discs themselves are held in flimsy paper sleeves (not cardboard or paperboard but plain paper) that will inevitably get torn with all but the most careful handling. While the artistic intention of the packaging is interesting it's pretty much worthless as a way to store this wonderful set. I'm planning on transplanting my discs to jewel boxes.

other thing that sorta pisses me off is i had this pre ordered and was charged 40 bucks for it. now it's new and listed as $34. weren't they supposed to credit the difference?

amyzzz
07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh, so it did come out.

Aphxtwinin
07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, so it did come out.

yea those came out tues...the deluxe editions which is the 2dvd/2cd set plus 3vinyls has not. and it pisses me off a bit

whynotsmile99
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
oh man, some of these remixes are BANGIN

Simian Mobile Disco has 2 mixes of Innocence that are knocking my head off

TonyWonder
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
the only thing that sucks is the damn thing doesn't close. I never bought the physical copy of Volta but it seems similar to the complaints I've read about the packaging. this shitty sticker essentially seals the whole package together. Too bad the glue from the sticker has melted onto the packaging leaving a nasty stain and the sticker will not re stick. so you gotta tape it shut or something

The sticker thing is really annoying. After learning my lesson on the Volta cd, I used an exacto-knife to slice through the giant sticker on my Wanderlust box set and used some removeable matte tape to close it.

still waiting on the Voltaic box set...

whynotsmile99
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
spent some time with the set today

I can't speak for the audio quality as I was listening to them on car speakers but the mix sounded bold, loud, clear and terrific to me.

The remix CD is pretty damn great, some really excellent remixes I must say. They are very liberal "remixes" mostly just sampling bits of Bjork here and there. A few didn't work for me, but overall they are strong, especially Simian Mobile Disco's stuff. Modeselektor and ratatat are good too.

I love the other CD featuring songs from Volta and other Bjork albums rearanged for the Volta tour and recorded live in a studio. Lots of horns, etc. Some really good versions of great Bjork songs, though the Volta songs don't seem to differ that much.

The live dvd is exactly that and not much else. no back stage, no interviews, just a solid filmed performance of the Volta tour from Paris. What is annoying is it is not a full performance. If i remember correctly, the Paris portion is 1hr 20 minutes, certainly not a full set. It's a dvd, why the hell cut it down? There is an extra 20 minute set of Bjork playing a very stripped down set in what looks like a church in ICeland. it's a nice extra, but a full Volta show would have been appreciated.

The videos are videos. Bjork is the best at em and there are some good ones on here, though I must say aren't the best she has done. There's 5 videos. Wonderlust is really pretty (wish it was the 3d version though) and the Michael Gondry one is cool. Theres 2 making of the videos which i have not seen yet.

theres also 10 extra videos for Innocence made by fans for a contest. some are interesting, many are repetitive ...cool idea, can't say i'll watch 10 videos of Innocence in a row though.

i think a few strips of velcro will solve the shitty cover problem. and amazon refunded my 6 bucks, so thanks to them.

Aphxtwinin
07-06-2009, 09:25 AM
amazon just changed shipping status to Shipping Soon! yay@! ill probably get it tomorrow if it goes today!

hawkingvsreeve
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh this version of Army of Me is dirty and nasty and terrifying and so so good.

I remember when she played it in 07. I lost my shit.