PDA

View Full Version : Luxury On-site Camping

tiffdud41
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
If you want to camp like a princess, here's what you'll need:

This is the bulky stuff that is a must have for the campsite-
1. Roomy tent that is well ventilated, yet can still provide privacy.
2. Queen Size (preferably) air mattress that has a battery powered air pump. The thicker it is, the softer the ground.
3. Sheets (400+ thread count egyptian cotton), goose down comforter, and three to five of your favorite pillows.
4. An at least 10'x10' canopy so that you can have shade in the morning w/out being inside your tent.
5. Chairs like these:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/tmaxam1/chair2.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/tmaxam1/chair1.jpg
6. An ice chest or two stocked with frozen beverages (excluding soda, of course) and munchies.
7. Card table for cards, drinking games, and breakfast.
8. Battery opperated lights for canopy and inside tent
9. Tent fans, at least two for optimal air flow.
10. A few strong, manly men to set up camp.
11. A tarp that is to be used as a wall for your canopy. I place it on the east side that way the sun is good and blocked.

For easy unloading and transport of equipment-
12. A wagon for loading/unloading like this:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/tmaxam1/wagon.jpg
believe me, if you bring all this stuff and forget the wagon, you'll be hating life!
13. Bungee cords to secure everything so that all your stuff isn't falling off the wagon every few feet.

The little stuff that is easily forgotten, but makes all the difference:
14. Camp towels (they are light and dry very quickly, also good for taking into the venue).
15. A mesh bag to take all your wet stuff and toilettries to and from the showers.
16. Flip flops for showering.
17. Giant metallic balloons to mark your tent/canopy so that it's easy to locate in the ocean of tents.
18. If you're a smoker bring a carton. You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring more than a couple packs.
19. Don't forget the lighters, either (more than ONE).
20. Batteries to opperate all your stuff that requires *batteries*. Bring many!
21. Motrin/Tylenol--anything that'll knock out a headache. Excedrin Headache medicine is the greatest.
22. Sunblock with an SPF of at least 100!
23. A few pairs of sunglasses with UV protection. Count on at least one pair getting lost/broken.
24. Wide brim hat(s)
25. Mallet for tent stakes, or better yet, get a coleman tent kit.
26. SPF chapstick
27. Any utensils you'll need for food prep, including pitchers, large stirring spoons, plates, napkins, etc.
28. Hair styling products that won't sweat off and can be restyled (after wearing your hat all day).
29. Camera with extra memory cards.
30. A mega battery charger (solio.com) for cell phone, mp3 player, laptop, etc.
31. Wipeys and sanitizing gel/wipes.
32. Salt and pepper and salt for the margaritas!
33. A hookah, for tobacco. Sharing is caring.
34. Ear plugs come in handy if you're the type that wants to get some rest before the rest of the crowd decides they can't take it anymore.
35. Bare Minerals makeup--it doesn't melt off like liquid foundations.

I'm sure ya'll can add to this, but this is the list I've started for myself, and I trolled ebay for all the great deals on the big stuff--I totally scored, too!

**this list was created over time with the valuable input of my fellow board members who I, unfotunately, don't have a good enough memory to be able to mention at this time--thanks, all.**

jeffro
02-13-2007, 08:27 AM
...you're forgetting a portable hot tub, a big screen tv, and oh right, the kitchen sink.

lowfront
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
this is the best list i have read. Thanks

york707
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
If you need all that, you should stay at a hotel. It will probably be cheaper, too.

happyguy23
02-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Why not pay someone to video it for you so you can stay home and watch it on TV? I've been to loads of festivals in the UK and worked out a list of essentials:
1) Tent
2) sleeping bag
3) headache tablets
4) Weed (+skins, backy and lighters)
5) couple of bottles of spirits
6) couple of bottles of wine
7) crate of beer
8) proplus (tablets to keep you awake in case you don't have them in the US)

Believe me, this list has grown over the years, the first two times I went to Leeds festival I took

1) headache tablets
2) Proplus
3) vodka
4) E's
5) money to buy beer + vegie burgers
6) the clothes I was wearing

and they were fucking awesome festivals. I worked out that I was drinking for 100 hours at one of them with just 4 hours sleep/passed out on sat night.

This year I'll prob even less than usual as I don't fancy ricking getting busted for drugs in a foreign country, a few bottles of spirits and some wine should do it.

happyguy23
02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Oh, and a hat. that IS essential, I forgot to take one to a festival last summer, got sunstroke and had to lie in the shade for most of the second day. That sucked balls.

Gota40ftsquidinmyfridge
02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
tin opener

Gota40ftsquidinmyfridge
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh, and a hat. that IS essential, I forgot to take one to a festival last summer, got sunstroke and had to lie in the shade for most of the second day. That sucked balls.

Im thinking download, same happened to me.
It sucked more ass than a blind prostitute

happyguy23
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, it was at download. Hang on, 5 leeds fests, sunstroke last download, live in (well, near) Leeds, mad enough to go half way round the world to see Rage... Are you actually me

cuchulainn
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
travel light i say, ive narrowed it down to the following bare essentials:

two bags of grass,
seventy- five pellets of mescaline,
five sheets of high powered blotter acid,
a salt shaker half full of cocaine,
a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...
Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

nic_ball
02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes, it was at download. Hang on, 5 leeds fests, sunstroke last download, live in (well, near) Leeds, mad enough to go half way round the world to see Rage... Are you actually me

now i too know about sunstroke at donington!!!!
watching the footy in the blazing sun, then nearly dying the next day!!
a bigger hat is definatly coming this year!!
roll on rage!

dontfeedthebird
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Um. I'm bringing my settee. And a straight boy.

amdux
02-13-2007, 11:38 AM

two bags of grass,
Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

don't forget keys, papers, a defebrillator, and a syringe of adrenaline for your heart

RandyinPhila
02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
If you need all that, you should stay at a hotel. It will probably be cheaper, too.

read the title of the thread. Great list btw!

tiffdud41
02-13-2007, 07:01 PM
thanks! I don't do the hotel thing b/c it's not as much fun as camping.
If rooms weren't way jacked up right now in the area it might be less expensive to do the hotel thing, but even with buying all that stuff new, it's still cheaper in this case.
And I REALLY hate the idea of having to drive anywhere after a loooong day at a music fest. I just wanna shower, party, and crash (so I can hurry up and wake up with a hang over)

you'll have to introduce me to your straight boy, birds haha

Mctommy
02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
acid is still around in the US?!?!

wow.

amyzzz
02-13-2007, 08:48 PM

two bags of grass,
fear & loathing

If anyone sees any acid, let me know.

tiffdud41
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
where I work there's an entire acid plant, amy...hehe

I forgot to add in that list...well, it's not something to bring, it's advice.

you'll want to try to pick an area that isn't in the middle of everything, shoot for the edges of the giant rectangles of tents...
you also don't want to be too close to the beer area, portos, or showers....but you also don't want to have to hike to the portos for that first pee in the morn, either!
somebody has also said that if you're camped on an outer edge you're less likely to have anything stolen b/c security would be able to see your site more easily.

malcolm
02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I got recommended to bring these items:

5 sets of clothes
4 oxen yolk
2 spare wagon axles
1 spare wagon tongue
and 400 pounds of food.

make sure you watch for outscarlet fever, oh and remember, 4 feet IS to deep to ford.

This should all cost under 400$. I'm just a farmer though, if you are a banker you can afford better supplies.

tiffdud41
02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
oregon trail? I was addicted to that game in 5th grade!

DeltaSigChi4
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm bringing a gi.

Then, I'm going to challenge Maynard to a sport jiu jitsu fight.

E

bmack86
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
My first year, I brought a tent, a change of clothes, a summer sausage, cheddar cheese and four gallons of water.
The last two years i upgraded my trip by including a sleeping bag and pillow.
This year i'll be in a hotel room. I have a feeling that I'll be much more well rested this year.

york707
02-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I've camped the past three years... I was just saying that if you need all of that, then, well, you shouldn't be camping.

chunk
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
that was some great advice, tiff. ill be sure to check back here if i am able to go.

dontfeedthebird
02-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I've camped the past three years... I was just saying that if you need all of that, then, well, you shouldn't be camping.

If you need all that, then you are a princess!

lowfront
02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I would love to have a sick camp site like as described. Regardless of you need it or not. It would be sick.

tiffdud41
02-14-2007, 05:11 PM

I obviously don't need all that, but it sure is nice to have.

tiffdud41
02-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I found solar powered christmas lights! Perfect for marking your tent. They have 'em on ebay and amazon--different lengths but they're all white LED lights. Another must have for me this year.
Here's a link to the ones I picked up on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130077538775&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

tiffdud41
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
This is a hat I also found that looked ideal for Coachella.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150061693873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

foto_synthesis
02-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Good to know.... but how the hell am I gonna transport all of that stuff from Florida? :poo

tiffdud41
02-17-2007, 10:11 PM
you're probably not, unless you're driving--like me.

mcddjj
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Here is the hat I'll be wearing. Worked for years of lifeguarding.

http://beckersurf.com/ProductDetails.asp?product_id=8035&product_subgroup_id=177&KBID=1023

dontfeedthebird
02-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Tiff's hat looks like she'll be wearing a tent on her head.

eclectric
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
hALARIOUS

tiffdud41
02-22-2007, 12:08 AM
I'll also be sleeping in my hat. It doubles as a tent. Glad to see you picked up on that, J.

corpathina
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
this is sort of like wearing your hat as a tent.. but way more involved.
http://www.studio-orta.com/artwork_fiche.php?fk=&fs=Shelter&fm=All&fd=All&of=0

dontfeedthebird
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll also be sleeping in my hat. It doubles as a tent. Glad to see you picked up on that, J.

Nothing gets by me. I hope Coachella security isn't as keen...

tiffdud41
02-22-2007, 08:57 PM
yeah, or else forget about getting liquored up!

artgutser
02-23-2007, 07:37 AM

http://beckersurf.com/ProductDetails.asp?product_id=8035&product_subgroup_id=177&KBID=1023

Thats one sweet hat. Too bad they dont ship to Mexico.

jewelia444
02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
where did you find this wagon you speak of? I am in search of an affordable wagon to haul my stuff around and am not having much luck...

GTI_GRL
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3619882

$39.96

This Heavy Duty-Multi-Use Cart could be the smartest use of the wheel since its invention. The cart holds up to 200 lbs. and folds flat to fit in airplane compartments. Its ingenious design makes it extra sturdy but also lightweight.

TravelWise Heavy-Duty Multi-Use Cart:
Holds up to 200 lbs.
Handle adjusts to 35-1/2"H or 39"H for taller or shorter users
Folds flat to fit into an airplane compartment or for storage
Wheels automatically swing out and fold up when platform is lowered or raised
Extra sturdy and lightweight, it folds to 2-1/4" depth
Includes a bungee cord
Features stable, smooth-rolling 4-3/4" diameter wheels and a contoured comfort handle for easy use
See alternate views

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 03:48 AM
I got a garden wagon. here's a link

Garden Cart Wagon on ebay for 39.99 (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HD-Steel-Mesh-Garden-Cart-Wagon-Tractor-Attachment_W0QQitemZ170085524451QQihZ007QQcategory Z75671QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

it caries 600lbs. and it's fairly simple to put together. Probably not as good to bring if you're flying, but I plan to take the wheels off and put it in the bottom of my trunk when I pack.

andreab
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah i'm coming from NY so, i've got a tent, sleeping bag, & a list for some store once i get to Cali

DeltaSigChi4
03-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Dude, have you seen this? Funniest shit everrrrrrr.

Yep. It was dissected on practically all the fight boards. Some insist it was real, others rationalize the fact that it looks completely staged. I'm with the latter.

E

becomingcloser
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

10 bucks? That's a flippin' deal.

cuchulainn
03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
your the best gti grl, do you know where i can get about 1000 poor asians to work for fcuk all to build crappy stuff that i can flog to the masses? hahahaha just kidding, im a tight arse, i love wal-mart, maybe to much to drink at lunch.

tiffdud41
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
wally world is my friend, but lately, I'm all about the ebay

dontfeedthebird
03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I got a garden wagon. here's a link

Garden Cart Wagon on ebay for 39.99 (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HD-Steel-Mesh-Garden-Cart-Wagon-Tractor-Attachment_W0QQitemZ170085524451QQihZ007QQcategory Z75671QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

Now how you gonna strap liquor to the bottom of that?

tiffdud41
03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
ohhh....well, I was thinking about having my grandpa weld some sort of a compartment on to the undercarriage. then I'd insert the alcohol. but that probably will make it a bit harder to pack in the car, but I should have plenty of space....OR I could just bungee a case to the undercarriage, I bet nobody would notice--the clearence on the bottom is sufficient to do that

foto_synthesis
03-09-2007, 12:44 PM
fear & loathing

If anyone sees any acid, let me know.

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit from the little brown bottle in my shaving kit...":rotfl

tiffdud41
03-30-2007, 03:49 PM
blah, and don't forget the A.S.S.!