PDA

View Full Version : mccartney, morrissey, cohen the cure, and still not sold out?

clarissarox
02-12-2009, 06:48 AM
it's not lookin good for you, gv. they had to make the lineup this good just so people would buy the tickets. and that doesn't seem to be happening. so long, $10 delicious veggie corn dogs. no one can afford you. i certainly cannot. bread lines indeed.

how are they gonna pay paul? rob peter bjorn and john? HAHAHA!

Ravingmad
02-12-2009, 08:40 AM
It never sells out this early. Wasn't sold out last year at this time either.

tessalasset
02-12-2009, 09:38 AM
but im glad you like the lineup that much! :)

zenidogx
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM

har har har.
mmm. yes.
*smokes pipe*

prettydirtything
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
it's not lookin good for you, gv. they had to make the lineup this good just so people would buy the tickets. and that doesn't seem to be happening. so long, $10 delicious veggie corn dogs. no one can afford you. i certainly cannot. bread lines indeed.

you forgot to mention The Killers in your thread title; that would have sold it out/

suprefan
02-14-2009, 01:27 PM
3 day sold out record stands at just over 3 weeks, so yeah, whats the use of this thread.

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
3 day sold out record stands at just over 3 weeks, so yeah, whats the use of this thread.

Without a determiner this sentence made little sense at first.

BillyCrystal
02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
i'm a bit surprised Friday hasn't sold out (has it?). as for the whole festival, i won't be shocked if it doesn't sell out.

obzen
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
har har har.
mmm. yes.
*smokes pipe*

:rotfl

Boourns
02-14-2009, 10:29 PM
For the record, I am anticipating Paul McCartney way more than I did the Rage reunion.

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2009, 10:48 PM
That's a big statement Boourns. Weren't you on record as being indifferent to the Rage reunion anyway? None the less, Let It Be live is going to make the trip worth while. Everything else is icing on the cake in comparison, barring the likes of The Chems, Underworld or Orbital getting added, that'll trump anything. That's also why this thing isn't going to sell out at this point, the Sahara is shit at the top.

vinylmartyr
02-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I doubt Bonnaroo with its awesome lineup sells out. People don't have jobs.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-15-2009, 09:35 AM
For the record, I am anticipating Paul McCartney way more than I did the Rage reunion.

For the record. I don't think any headliner can match Paul McCartney. Radiohead included. Simply put, having the Beatles catalog in your setlist is such a epic win that define the definition of win. And the big difference between Waters and McCartney is Paul can still sing his ass off.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I doubt Bonnaroo with its awesome lineup sells out. People don't have jobs.

especially since it looks like Rothbury with get Phish too....

boarderwoozel3
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Aren't Phish touring all over the place this summer?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Aren't Phish touring all over the place this summer?

Yep....but the setting is Roo's ace....that and the 2 night set. But the fact that they are touring everywhere hurts Roo as well...

Boourns
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
But Bonnaroo sold out the day tickets went on sale, right?

Boourns
02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
For the record. I don't think any headliner can match Paul McCartney. Radiohead included. Simply put, having the Beatles catalog in your setlist is such a epic win that define the definition of win. And the big difference between Waters and McCartney is Paul can still sing his ass off.

Exactly. Well, I think Bowie would definitely match.

Do people not realize how special this is?

menikmati
02-15-2009, 12:02 PM

I can guarantee you that if Radiohead or Daft Punk were booked for Saturday rather than the Killers...the whole reporting would be totally different. Bloggers and such would be saying "OMG we get the best of our generation (Radiohead) and our parents generation (macca), it's gonna be so epic, only at Coachella could this happen!". But since the Killers are booked, those same people are saying "ugh all we got are the killers and some old dude who should be in a retirement home".

I'm more excited for Paul than anyone else I've ever been for at Coachella.

Boourns
02-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I can guarantee you that if Radiohead or Daft Punk were booked for Saturday rather than the Killers...the whole reporting would be totally different. Bloggers and such would be saying "OMG we get the best of our generation (Radiohead) and our parents generation (macca), it's gonna be so epic, only at Coachella could this happen!". But since the Killers are booked, those same people are saying "ugh all we got are the killers and some old dude who should be in a retirement home".

Gotta love ageism.

I don't know what I have been the most excited about, but Radiohead, Jarvis Cocker, Portishead, McCartney would be at the top of the list. Oh, and Prince.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Having seen Bowie live (Ivankay can attest to this as well) it can be really hit and miss. I saw him at the Area2 festival and while it was great it was fantastic (and I am one of the biggest bowie fans mind you..I meet the guy and nearly died from the experience). I think Bowie actually does better with smaller crowds in a more intimate setting. A friend of mine said the best show she ever saw was Bowie here at the Fillmore in Denver and it was because he played for 3 hours and came back for 3 encores...also anyone who saw that video of his 50th Birthday can see that when he is on, the fucker is on like donkey kong.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM

People are just stupid Erik...we all know this...it was like this last year for Roger Waters too...(OMG! He is old! Pink Floyd Sux!) then after Waters people were taking about how epic his set was....people will do the same for Paul...

Tijuana
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Coachella 2009 will most likely not sell out.

Why?:

1. The economy is really bad and getting worse as the weeks go by.

2. PT and GV use ticket sales money to fund deposits for artists. Since not as many tickets as other years are selling, that means that they will not have money for deposits on new headliners... and this in turn will not bring more NEW pre-event purchases

I am even thinking that this will probably be the lowest attended Coachella for the past 3 years

This year's WMC and Ultra Festival will be a good indication of how Coachella and the rest of this year's festivals will fare.

instinct
02-17-2009, 01:11 PM

You act like you are surprised?? this is by far the worst line-up..

tHEdARKsIDE
02-18-2009, 07:55 AM
mccartney, morrissey, cohen the cure, and still not sold out?!

Roger Waters, Prince, Aphex Twin, Portishead & still no sell out???

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Roger Waters, Prince, Aphex Twin, Portishead & still no sell out???

in Coachella defense...if Prince and Aphex Twin were on the intial line up then it might've sold a lot better...but such is life...

tigermilkboy
02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Coachella 2009 will most likely not sell out.

Why?:

1. The economy is really bad and getting worse as the weeks go by.

2. PT and GV use ticket sales money to fund deposits for artists. Since not as many tickets as other years are selling, that means that they will not have money for deposits on new headliners... and this in turn will not bring more NEW pre-event purchases

I am even thinking that this will probably be the lowest attended Coachella for the past 3 years

This year's WMC and Ultra Festival will be a good indication of how Coachella and the rest of this year's festivals will fare.

You are quite correct! The aim of this coachella is not to tank and owe money (and resulting in no more coachella!). I think GV have been responsible and cautious, getting a big, safe name like Paul McCartney (who will shift tickets to a wide audience with money) and adding on other big acts that are value for money. The Killers are really good value for their price tag, they deliver a broad mass appeal, whether you like them or not. Similarly The Cure don't break the bank but attract a loyal following.
If GV and PT had gone all out on big names, then they would be up a proverbial creek without a certain implement to provide momentum to the said vessel.

I do disagree with other posters that radiohead aren't bigger than McCartney in terms of a coachella festival draw. If radiohead had an headline slot, that day would have sold-out by now. I am sure GV offered enough money but I doubt radiohead will ever play coachella due to their 'environmental touring policy'.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I think Radiohead said no because they want to take a break after their Latin American touring...but I could be wrong...but great post tigermilk...

woogie846
02-18-2009, 09:15 AM

You know, we're kind of in a recession.

Boourns
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I am sure GV offered enough money but I doubt radiohead will ever play coachella due to their 'environmental touring policy'.

But flying the whole band to LA and then have only two members perform one song with the likes of Kid Rock and Katy Perry is somehow exempt from this environmental b.s.

I think Radiohead said no because they want to take a break after their Latin American touring...but I could be wrong...but great post tigermilk...

Because it's such a long tour and all. But yeah, really sucks to be Australia.

heyeric
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Glad you think the lineup is worthy of selling out so early.

I'm gonna have to disagree.

tigermilkboy
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Boourns;1035695]But flying the whole band to LA and then have only two members perform one song with the likes of Kid Rock and Katy Perry is somehow exempt from this environmental b.s.

The US trip radiohead took involved rehearsals for their South American tour and adding new equipment to the 2nd set of instruments which are kept in the US.
Also, I believe the Grammy's coincided with mixing in New York and some other things the band are working on. So they did not travel solely for the one song Grammy performance! The Grammy's merely served an additional reason for an already scheduled trip.

crazzz2007
02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
But flying the whole band to LA and then have only two members perform one song with the likes of Kid Rock and Katy Perry is somehow exempt from this environmental b.s.

stop talking out of your ass.

first of all, the grammy performance was not a full on show. it was ONE FUCKING SONG. you're talking about 4 round trip plane tickets. they didn't bring in trucks full of equipment like they would have if it was a regular radiohead concert.

second, millions of people watched the grammy performance, whereas only a few thousand would see a full live show.

please, stop talking out of your ass.

beavington
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I do disagree with other posters that radiohead aren't bigger than McCartney in terms of a coachella festival draw. If radiohead had an headline slot, that day would have sold-out by now. I am sure GV offered enough money but I doubt radiohead will ever play coachella due to their 'environmental touring policy'.

how new is this policy? Wasnt their last coachella performance a one off in america?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
how new is this policy? Wasnt their last coachella performance a one off in america?

they started it last year.....

rhcpdude13
02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
my pants party is sold out.
SORRY ladies
i may make exceptions though ;)

deeznutz
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Weren't single day passes sold out by now last year and the year before that? Not certain, but I'm pretty sure...can anyone confirm? That can't be a good sign for ticket sales this year if true, or they could be selling more single day tix I guess.