PDA

View Full Version : Bonnaroo; WAY better than Coachella

WALRUS
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I cant belive it, ive just look at Bonnarro's line up, and its much better than Coachella..........PAUL T, you have to do something. My recomendations; another headliner, Daft Punk, Blur, Pearl Jam (dont bring Bowie, Neil Young or Bruce S., because with Cure and Paul M, this will be OLDchella. Also, subheadliners; The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Chemichal Bros, Basement Jaxx.

skavenbrew
02-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Very interesting. I'm very glad you started this thread. I haven't read any of these opinions or sugguestions anywhere else on the board... how did nobody recognise this until now?

paganman7
02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I give this thread 9.5 stars out of 10. Very strong work. You're possibly the greatest forum member of all time.

ZackQ
02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Right. No one EVER says Daft Punk should play at Coachella.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
ugh...the only reason Bonnaroo is getting more attention, is because of Phish and Bruce. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON!!!! Last time Bonnaroo got this much attention was back in 2006 when Radiohead was the headliner. And when that happened guess who Coachella got? Daft Punk, Massive Attack, Madonna, Tool, Depeche Mode, Sigur Ros, Kanye West...the very next year guess who headlined roo? Tool...and who played in 08? Kanye. I am really sick and tired of this whole Roo Vs. Coachella bullshit...face it..Roo is where its at now BECAUSE of Coachella...Roo decided to diversify its line up BECAUSE of Coachella...Bruce just came off a Superbowl showing and that is why Roo is getting all this attention...but outside of NIN and Beasties (who have both played Coachella with headlining spots already), and 2 nights of Phish (who are touring like crazy this summer anyways...), I don't see how their line up is "better" then Coachella...again its UNIQUE but it is still a ROO line up...just like Coachella has their line up...its a Coachela line up...

C DUB YA
02-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Walrus is the greatest poster of all time - I wouldn't ever have read anything like this without this post.

WALRUS
02-05-2009, 07:42 AM
thank you all very much...love your words.....jaja

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I cant belive it, ive just look at Bonnarro's line up, and its much better than Coachella..........PAUL T, you have to do something. My recomendations; another headliner, Daft Punk, Blur, Pearl Jam (dont bring Bowie, Neil Young or Bruce S., because with Cure and Paul M, this will be OLDchella. Also, subheadliners; The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Chemichal Bros, Basement Jaxx.

btw: the only acts you listed that haven't played Coachella are Neil and Bruce...Pearl Jam is a kinda sorta...

KungFuJay
02-05-2009, 07:45 AM
WALRUS FTW

WALRUS
02-05-2009, 07:49 AM
sorry fuckers...I dont read all the threads in this website, so I didnt know that many people are saying the same, its just my opinion. If you people spend all the day reading and posting, GET A FUCKING LIFE,

Mcoppel
02-05-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't care how good is Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza.... this years Coachella lineup lacks of imagination, cīmon... Saturday its awful. Too much old soft bands, theres very few electronic acts, the Sahara Tent is dead.

So many bands that theyre reuniting this year, and they couldnt pick up ONE, bring the Stone Roses, Blur.... The Cure?..i love the cure, there a great band, but they have been touring the last two years, the same thing happend with Roger Waters.

Goldenvoice needs to step up, ...we need more electronic acts: daft punk, chemical brothers, van buren.... and please a non-old, good, hard-rock....act to save Saturday....maybe NIN?...or Muse, Radiohead?

steve7268
02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
ugh...the only reason Bonnaroo is getting more attention, is because of Phish and Bruce. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON!!!! Last time Bonnaroo got this much attention was back in 2006 when Radiohead was the headliner. And when that happened guess who Coachella got? Daft Punk, Massive Attack, Madonna, Tool, Depeche Mode, Sigur Ros, Kanye West...the very next year guess who headlined roo? Tool...and who played in 08? Kanye. I am really sick and tired of this whole Roo Vs. Coachella bullshit...face it..Roo is where its at now BECAUSE of Coachella...Roo decided to diversify its line up BECAUSE of Coachella...Bruce just came off a Superbowl showing and that is why Roo is getting all this attention...but outside of NIN and Beasties (who have both played Coachella with headlining spots already), and 2 nights of Phish (who are touring like crazy this summer anyways...), I don't see how their line up is "better" then Coachella...again its UNIQUE but it is still a ROO line up...just like Coachella has their line up...its a Coachela line up...

Are you kidding me? You think BRUCE i looked like an idiot at the superbowl SPRINGSTEEN is the reason people prefer Bonnaroo.

Ever heard of Nine Inch Nails?

I'm going to both, so i'm not forming any sort of allegiance to either one, but there are SEVERAL smaller acts that i'm looking forward to at Coachella.. Not so much the headliners... with Bonnaroo, as far as i know (haven't had time to look up some of the smaller ones), it's all about the headliners minus Bruce. Bruce is awful,his music is awful.

indietron
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't care how good is Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza.... this years Coachella lineup lacks of imagination, cīmon... Saturday its awful. Too much old soft bands, theres very few electronic acts, the Sahara Tent is dead.

Are you kidding me?? Of all three days, the Sahara is (so far) the best on Saturday. Theivery Corp, MSTRKRFT, Bloody Beetroots, Para One, Surkin, Crookers, and more. Walk into the Sahara during any one of these acts and then come back on here and say the tent was "dead."

ZackQ
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Are you kidding me?? Of all three days, the Sahara is (so far) the best on Saturday. Theivery Corp, MSTRKRFT, Bloody Beetroots, Para One, Surkin, Crookers, and more. Walk into the Sahara during any one of these acts and then come back on here and say the tent was "dead."

QFT. This year's line up is sick.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Are you kidding me? You think BRUCE i looked like an idiot at the superbowl SPRINGSTEEN is the reason people prefer Bonnaroo.

Ever heard of Nine Inch Nails?

I'm going to both, so i'm not forming any sort of allegiance to either one, but there are SEVERAL smaller acts that i'm looking forward to at Coachella.. Not so much the headliners... with Bonnaroo, as far as i know (haven't had time to look up some of the smaller ones), it's all about the headliners minus Bruce. Bruce is awful,his music is awful.

Nine Inch Nails toured the shit out of last year...have played almost every major music festival since 2005: Coachella, Sasquatch, Lolla, Virgin and now Roo..

djandrews25
02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
I hate you.

BeHereNOW
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
well if you go to festivals mainly for the headliners then you will tend to think one will be better than the other.... both are pretty good to me in terms on subheadliners and the rest....

dethroned
The fact that Bonnaroo will be overrun by hippies and depressed teenagers thanks to Phish and NIN ensures that I will be far, far away. Coachella's lineup is much better.

Distorted_Jungle

Was about to say the same exact thing can't wait for The Bloody Beetroots ans MSTRKRFT gonna blow the roof off!

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Phish is fucking terrible.

JebusLives
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Bonnaroo is about equivalent in my books this year. But between loyalty to GV (who have yet to burn me) and love for the polo field, I will be attending Coachella per usual.

WhyTheLongFace
02-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Great thread. Will read again.

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Did you guys know that Daft Punk and Radiohead would be a great addition to the line up?

obzen
02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
id take My Bloody Valentine,Paul McCartney and The Cure over The Beatie Boys,The Boss and Phish anytime.

Xenocide
02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
ugh...the only reason Bonnaroo is getting more attention, is because of Phish and Bruce. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON!!!! ...

actually, Bruce & Phish are the least interesting parts of the lineup to me...

but i'll take NIN & Beastie Boys as subheadliners over Amy Winehouse & Morrissey anytime...

Brickhouse
02-05-2009, 08:45 AM
No possible way one can conclude Roo 2009 is “WAY” better than Coachella 2009.

I don’t think anyone could compare the two and ultimately conclude Roo is better (unless they only care about headliners).

BUT for the first time ever, I had to think about it for a minute instead of being able to do it at the snap of my fingers.

Therein lies the problem for most people unhappy with Coachella 2009. An appreciation or curiosity for some of the acts, but nothing that makes them stand up and say that they NEED to be there. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks with the ads (please Avalanches, come out of your fox hole).

quicksand
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
ugh...the only reason Bonnaroo is getting more attention, is because of Phish and Bruce. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON!!!!

I don't like either of them and I still think Roo kicks Coachella's ass.

My suggestions-

Add a big Sahara act to each day. It'll be pricey, but it'll bring in sales and give Coachella more credit. Last year we had

Fatboy Slim
Aphex Twin
Justice
Sasha and Digweed
Simian Mobile Disco
Chromeo
Above and Beyond

This year the biggest Sahara names are MSTRKRFT, Gui Borato, and a DJ set by Groove Armada. This truly is the first underwhelming Sahara lineup.

Add any of the following

Chemical Brothers
Daft Punk
Underworld
Royksopp
Orbital

Some bigger, better, out of the blue name for a new Saturday sub-headliner

The Strokes
Belle & Sebastian
Sigur Ros
The Flaming Lips
Blur
Boards of Canada

And good indie folk additions for Sunday. Seriously, this is my favorite genre of music, and after listening to each band playing Sunday, I'm incredibly disappointed. This is where Bonnaroo is really kicking our asses.

Add any of the following

Animal Collective
Panda Bear
Yeasayer
Joanna Newsom
Grizzly Bear
Department of Eagles
Vashti Bunyan
Devendra Banhart
Vetiver

Please do something Paul.

redthreat
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
The fact that Bonnaroo will be overrun by hippies and depressed teenagers thanks to Phish and NIN ensures that I will be far, far away. Coachella's lineup is much better.

AGREED.

I've seen both fans, both are super annoying.

quicksand
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
As if Killers/Winehouse fans will be any better... Not to mention glam kids stuck in the '80's they never even lived in.

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
It looks like bonnaroo just snagged bands from previous and this years coachella. That's not very exciting.

weeklymix
02-05-2009, 08:54 AM
too many bugs at roo. the boss + phish + bugs = oh wait who cares.

captncrzy
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
GET A FUCKING LIFE

This from somebody that's created two accounts in the last week and spent the entire time crying about the headliners.

quicksand
02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
It looks like bonnaroo just snagged bands from previous and this years coachella. That's not very exciting.

It looks like Coachella snagged bands that have spent a lot of time getting influence from shitty alternative rock radio.

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
It looks like Coachella snagged bands that have spent a lot of time getting influence from shitty alternative rock radio.

I'm sure Bonnaroo has a message board. Quit fucking crying.

quicksand
02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
It's nice to see you finally posting some opinions of your own, Dale. Instead of agreeing with everyone else.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
id take My Bloody Valentine,Paul McCartney and The Cure over The Beatie Boys,The Boss and Phish anytime.

True Story.

BeHereNOW
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
i'd seen Costello

oh and elvis perkins...

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 09:03 AM
It's nice to see you finally posting some opinions of your own, Dale. Instead of agreeing with everyone else.

Kinda creepy how you monitor my posts. Almost as creepy as your cock choking fetish.

microcuts
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
My recomendations; another headliner, Daft Punk, Blur, Pearl Jam (dont bring Bowie, Neil Young or Bruce S., because with Cure and Paul M, this will be OLDchella. Also, subheadliners; The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Chemichal Bros, Basement Jaxx.

Because Pearl Jam makes music that sounds so much fresher than Springsteen or McCartney. And you've obviously never even listened to The Cure if you insist on grouping them in with people that have been around since the 60's.

zenidogx
02-05-2009, 09:10 AM
i'm writing some lyrics about how much i love Coachella:

However far away
I will always love you
However long I stay
I will always love you

WALRUS
02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Because Pearl Jam makes music that sounds so much fresher than Springsteen or McCartney. And you've obviously never even listened to The Cure if you insist on grouping them in with people that have been around since the 60's.

I like The Cure, it is not one of my favorites, but I think that they are very good. Notwithstandig, is not a band to headline this year, with Killers and Paul, Coachella need something else. Music from the 60's friday, and music from the 80īs sunday? And saturday a band for girls like the Killers?

And for the record, Paul M, is great because he was part of the Beatles....but come on, his material is not THAT great

WALRUS
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
This from somebody that's created two accounts in the last week and spent the entire time crying about the headliners.

PHOENIX? reddddddd neck, shut up, and get a facial surgery

Jon Blazed
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
BOSS TIME

Todfilm
02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm glad Phish isn't playing, so I won't be surrounded by dirty hippies. Oh and I've seen a lot of the bands playing there cause I went to Coachella the last two years.

DesertGirl
02-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't like either of them and I still think Roo kicks Coachella's ass.

And good indie folk additions for Sunday. Seriously, this is my favorite genre of music, and after listening to each band playing Sunday, I'm incredibly disappointed. This is where Bonnaroo is really kicking our asses.

Add any of the following

Animal Collective
Panda Bear
Yeasayer
Joanna Newsom
Grizzly Bear
Department of Eagles
Vashti Bunyan
Devendra Banhart
Vetiver

Please do something Paul.

Hi,0 Newbie to the threads but not Coachella, and i have to agree with this. Please direct me to the indie folk artist at this years coachella?? I spent a day listening to all of the artists on the line ups, and sure i heard a few new bands that i would like to check out, but this department is seriously lacking.

PotVsKtl
02-05-2009, 09:29 AM
jaja

That explains a lot.

danteb
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
bonnaroo is good, coachella is great

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
not to mention quit a few acts at bonnaroo this year were already at coachella last year, then add in the acts that are at both subtract the lame ones...I think I'll stick with coachella.

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi,0 Newbie to the threads but not Coachella, and i have to agree with this. Please direct me to the indie folk artist at this years coachella?? I spent a day listening to all of the artists on the line ups, and sure i heard a few new bands that i would like to check out, but this department is seriously lacking.

I thought there was already plenty of folk?

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I thought there was already plenty of folk?

if there were more folk groups we'd hear the other side bitch about too much folk...and so it goes.

maybe if GV adds one group from edm, folk, hip hop and rock everyone will stop bitching but even then I'd doubt it.

heyeric
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry but Bonnaroo just wont fill my appetite for good music.
I think Coachella outdoes um every year.

flowbee
02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't know about Bonnaroo, but Coachella has some of the most legendary late additions of any festival. Stay tuned.

And like some of the others have said, Bruce and Phish 2 days don't do much for me anyway.

-Gax-
02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
i dont know y u all talk shit on phish but it doesnt surprise me, since your all indie heads. As for comparing roo to coachella is straight retarded. They both attract different crowds of people so stop comparing them. /end of rant

paganman7
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Phish is fucking terrible.

And Phish x2 is just ass.

wstsidela
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Great, music tips from the fry station. :laughyou

zajaa
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
...dont bring Bowie...

fail.

carokube
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
if i had to spend TWO entire days with phish fans i would die. and if i was going to have to pick between two of my mom's favorite singers, i would definitely pick macca. bonnaroo has absolutely nothing. except nin.

TommyboyUNM
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
What a fucking fantastic idea for a thread!! In fact, I'm going to PM kroqken and ask him to bump it during the next kenado.

punkydory
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Nah, I'm way more psyched on the Coachella line up. If I were a fan of Bruce Springsteen, Phish or NIN, then maybe it would be different, but I couldn't care less about them. I'm also really into a lot of the smaller acts playing Coachella....not to mention Paul McCartney, Morrissey and Amy Winehouse!!

amyzzz
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Nine Inch Nails toured the shit out of last year...have played almost every major music festival since 2005: Coachella, Sasquatch, Lolla, Virgin and now Roo..
The irony. Radiohead and NIN are about my favorite bands, and they prostituted themselves out to every festival EXCEPT the one closest to me (Coachella), and toured everywhere EXCEPT my state (Arizona). :nono
My favorite bands suck.

gooftroop
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Both festivals are great in their own right. Each has advantages and disadvantages, those who hate are either jealous or just plain haters.

And for those who seem so intolerant of Phish fans and hippies in general...what kind of a person does that make you? I know plenty of Phish fans who are decent, loving people and they would never judge others simply based on their musical tastes.

Check out Calexico, they should be right up your alley and will put on a great show at Coachella this year.

Donaldj
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't realize anyone under 40 even liked Bruce Springsteen.

skavenbrew
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I read somewhere (a very quotable source) that Daft Punk and Radiohead might be very good additions.

Spread the Word.

Start a Thread.

Blinken
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
The irony. Radiohead and NIN are about my favorite bands, and they prostituted themselves out to every festival EXCEPT the one closest to me (Coachella), and toured everywhere EXCEPT my state (Arizona). :nono
My favorite bands suck.

Actually i think this means that Arizona sucks. Just sayin.

Monklish
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
And for those who seem so intolerant of Phish fans and hippies in general...what kind of a person does that make you?

Smart people with taste, obviously.

TommyboyUNM
02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Jesus fuck!! :yyablo

Backwater
02-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Way to just completely not mention the Killers, Nine Inch Nails and David Byrne.

amyzzz
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Actually i think this means that Arizona sucks. Just sayin.
Yah except Coachella in't in Arizona, douchebag.

menikmati
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Way to just completely not mention the Killers, Nine Inch Nails and David Byrne.

I'll take Paul, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, Morrissey, Cohen, YYY's, Franz, and Thievery Corp over Bruce, Phish, Beastie Boys, NIN, Byrne, and Wilco. I mean I love Wilco and Byrne is cool, but I'll take Coachella's headliners/subheadliners over Roo's. I think Roo has a strong middle card, but so does Coachella.

Backwater
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I just think it's funny how roo got David Byrne, Of Montreal, Animal Collective and Elvis Costello and coachella didn't.

I like the roo lineup better, you like the coachella lineup better. They're both good though, that we can agree on.

Blinken
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Yah except Coachella in't in Arizona, douchebag.

Yeah but they have played Coachella more recently than AZ. Plus they were both in LA this past year :p