PDA

View Full Version : Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

suprefan
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
This is going to be ridiculous when it goes down.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/live-nation-ticketmaster-may-merge/story.aspx?guid=%7B90F83E2B-CD87-4588-A655-E1829129BD4F%7D&dist=msr_1

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. and Live Nation Inc. are considering a merger in a deal that would consolidate two of the most powerful forces in the music industry, according to a media report late Tuesday.

The online edition of The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, reported that the new, combined company would be called Live Nation Ticketmaster, and would bring together the world's largest concert promoter with the world's dominant "ticketing and artist-management" company.
The boards of both companies have yet to approve the deal, which is likely to require a review by antitrust authorities, according to the report.
The merger would not involve exchange of any cash and could be announced as early as next week, the report said.

Ticketmaster handles the affairs of roughly 200 major acts, including The Eagles and Miley Cyrus.
The West Hollywood, Calif.-based company has a market capitalization of roughly $351.3 million.
Shares of Live Nation have fallen more than 50% in the past three months, closing Tuesday at $4.99. The Beverly Hills, Calif.-based company has a market capitalization of roughly $390.2 million.

John Letzing is a MarketWatch reporter based in San Francisco.

ThomThom
02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Just when you thought it was safe... Fucking ticketmaster.

PassiveTheory
02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
This would be the death of AEG. Fuck monopolies.

indietron
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Crap

DRcube
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
do we still get to keep the gigantic tickets?

suprefan
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe

Mr. Dylanja
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Just when you thought it was safe... Fucking ticketmaster.

This is siggable.

woogie846
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't even want to think about the fees and tickets prices...

karecares
i hope this does not get approved but it probably will, i hate ticketmaster and my reliance on them like a fucking drug dealer

ThomThom
This is siggable.

Your mother is siggable. :winkiss

kitt kat
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
WUT. Didn't LiveNation JUST break off from using Ticketmaster?

TICKETBASTARD.

Mr. Dylanja
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Your mother is siggable. :winkiss

This is beautiful.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Fuckin' A are you joking?

just let them compete with each other so the world remains in its normal state

Sushov23
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
OMGZ, supre, the bamboozleleft has Thrice playing. Are you going? let me know how it goes.

suprefan
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
WUT. Didn't LiveNation JUST break off from using Ticketmaster?

TICKETBASTARD.

Yeah, but a lot went down behind the scenes last year which infact ended up being the play for this to go down. LN made the move now cause TM didnt want to wait.

OMGZ, supre, the bamboozleleft has Thrice playing. Are you going? let me know how it goes.

Not even gonna talk about that one either.

luckyface
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
TM must have seen the obscene LN was charging and fell in love.

suprefan
02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Other way around.

Mister DVNO
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the era where the convenience fee is more than the ticket price.

Ardentbiscuit
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow talk about the concert goer F over of the century.

Ticketmaster and Live Nation were in a competition to see who could rip off concert goers for the most fees. I guess it was a draw so they decided to try to merge.

BlackSwan
This has evil written all over it.

Aurgasm
looks like ill be getting a new job

suprefan
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
This has evil written all over it.

Blame Azoff and Rapino.

BlackSwan
02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Blame Azoff and Rapino.

I think I'm going to be completely illogical and blame Obama.

luckyface
02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Other way around.

Have you seen how much LN is charging? I think their fees might be even higher.

Aurgasm
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Expect more add on fee bs...

plenty of these ***********

*porta potie fee
*homeland security fee
*random insurance fee
*feee
*feeeeeeeee

dorkfish
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
so these ugly huge LiveNation tickets will become collectables?

MissingPerson
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I swear to Christ, Ticketmaster is the early stage of Skynet.

I'd kinda like to see them somehow merge with Merge, just so I could chuckle at my own mild confusion when I'd hear the announcement.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Really?

I always felt like LiveNation was Skynet ever since they signed with U2 last year

suprefan
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I think I'm going to be completely illogical and blame Obama.

Nice, but you do know what Im talking about at least.

gaypalmsprings
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
it's the economy

Sushov23
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Like it matters if they merge, either way we are paying high fees anyway. Fucking bastards.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
everything is the economy's fault

whynotsmile99
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
blows, but have we come to expect anything more?

it's interesting that music fans are in the midst of changing the record industry with the digital/download revolution but still getting fucked with the ticketing companies. i guess there's not much people can do. Pearl jam needs to pick up the cause again

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
you figure since we're not spending copius amounts of cash on music anymore that ticket companies can assume that we will spend it on tickets which is why they continue to fuck people over

Alchemy
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I knew the Galactic Empire would arrive before 2010.

shakermaker113
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
FUCK. just when I was thinking competition between livenation and ticketmaster might be better than the monopoly we currently have.

don't you just feel fucking powerless?

shakermaker113
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
oh, when are they merging with al qaeda?

PrettyRagdoll
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
oh, when are they merging with al qaeda?

Right after Osama agrees to add a $60 fee per suicide bomber. Those virgins in heaven aren't cheap after all.

But seriously? Fuck Ticketmaster AND LN. Next year when we go to buy our 3 day pass will be paying almost $100 in bullshit fees

ultraslow
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
FUCK those evil greedy fuckers

what a fucking racket

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Right after Osama agrees to add a $60 fee per suicide bomber. Those virgins in heaven aren't cheap after all.

But seriously? Fuck Ticketmaster AND LN. Next year when we go to buy our 3 day pass will be paying almost $100 in bullshit fees

seriously. an insurance charge for the facility for each fucking day is bullshit. I hate that god damn thing

SFChrissy
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
So this is what LN really meant by getting into "ticket sales"...ephing bullshit!!! - wish artists would manage their ticket sales!!!

Talk about "dope fiend blues"

suprefan
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Kind of. I mean you do see that LN has been selling tickets on their own for all their venues since Jan 1st right?

betao
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
http://bolovsrol.ru/stuff/2008/Star-Wars-Emperor.jpg

shakermaker113
02-04-2009, 07:19 AM
So this is what LN really meant by getting into "ticket sales"...ephing bullshit!!! - wish artists would manage their ticket sales!!!

the really big artists in the uk seem to do that. oasis, coldplay, etc. I think maybe radiohead too. at least, they used to. they would have their own dedicated phone lines just for their own concerts. and the tickets would be customized for the band. maybe ticketbastard has consumed all business there now too though. who knows.

smaller artists could never manage it though. it's up to the venues, I think. like gamh and slims in sf have their own ticketing system now.

Ardentbiscuit
02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
They should name the new company:

Keyser Soze

"I'm telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the Prince of Darkness."

"...The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist...."

Boourns
02-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Have you seen how much LN is charging? I think their fees might be even higher.

$12 Asobi Seksu ticket -> $23.50 after ticketmaster fees (~96% markup)
$22.50 Animal Collective ticket -> $31.50 after livenation fees (~42% markup)

livenation >> ticketmaster

Blinken
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
It still has to get approved by the SEC and congress. i think one of them will step in and not allow this to go through.

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Both have flaws and pros. But I've always bought through ticketmaster and I'm staying with them for now

And Bourns, that comment you posted would only be legible to argue if it was the same two bands for the same show.

BlackSwan
02-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow... I can't believe this really has a chance of actually happening.

Boourns
02-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Both have flaws and pros. But I've always bought through ticketmaster and I'm staying with them for now

And Bourns, that comment you posted would only be legible to argue if it was the same two bands for the same show.

Well, that's not possible. But the fact remains: a show on livenation had fewer surcharges than a show on ticketmaster even though the livenation show had a much higher ticket price.

Charging $11.50 for a $12 is inexcusable, there's absolutely no justification for it. And fuck all venues that use ticketmaster when other options are out there, it is funding and supporting terrorism.

Can anyone find an example of livenation charging $11.50 for a $12 ticket? I wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing, I'm just curious.

wmgaretjax
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Kind of. I mean you do see that LN has been selling tickets on their own for all their venues since Jan 1st right?

some of the big ones are still under TM contract.

suprefan
02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Just arenas that are not a big factor. The advantage LN has over TM is that they control venues. TM controls none they are just the middleman.

And the merger will happen.

PassiveTheory
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
It still has to get approved by the SEC and congress. i think one of them will step in and not allow this to go through.

Ahahahahahahahahahah. That's cute... that's real cute.

suprefan
02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Billboard story today regarding the aftermath of the Phish onsale. Its funny how they are saying they are trying to improve things. But while that onsale happend they were trying to fix things on the fly. Yeah thats smart.

Talk of a proposed Live Nation/Ticketmaster merger is dominating music biz headlines today (Feb. 4), but last week's Phish onsales through Live Nation Ticketing are still very much on the minds of music fans.

Last weekend, no ticket on the planet was hotter than those to see the reunited Phish, resulting in a rabid fan onslaught that severely tested Live Nation's new ticketing system, which just launched last month.

Fans unable to get tickets posted blistering reports online, but Live Nation Ticketing executives point to overwhelming demand and the simple reality that exponentially more fans wanted tickets than were available.

"When you have 10 million requests from your ticketing system and only 20,000 seats, there's going to be a line," says Nathan Hubbard, CEO of Live Nation Ticketing. "But we can do a better job going forward of messaging to them and handling the experience they have once they finally get through it and the tickets are sold out."

Indeed, most of the frustration expressed online seemed to be from fans who made it through much of the ticket-buying process before crashing off the site without completing the transaction, or those who spent what they felt was too much time in the ticket "waiting room" only to come away empty-handed.

Of the 10 million requests, Live Nation Ticketing "sold more than 250,000 tickets over the weekend," Hubbard tells Billboard. "With that kind of volume, some people who couldn't get access to the tickets had a bad experience, and we're sorry for what they went through. We're fans too, and we never want fans to have that kind of experience."

Hubbard says he and the Live Nation Ticketing staff are "spending every waking hour putting in place fixes to improve it going forward. We understand exactly what the problem was and worked with our partners to put in place those fixes so we can do better next time."

Ticketing sites overwhelmed by demand for super-hot shows have bedeviled fans many times previously, most recently with Phish and the post Super Bowl super-demand for Bruce Springsteen tickets. The latter snafus came when fans in Long Island and New Jersey tried to purchase tickets via Ticketmaster, though the company maintains those issues were unrelated to the high demand.

The e-commerce challenges presented by online ticketing for high-demand shows aren't limited to Live Nation, but the nature of Phish fans and their sense of community makes for a robust Internet "town hall" on message boards. Clearly, complaints from dissatisfied Phish fans were heard loud and clear by Live Nation, which is sensitive to how it's ticketing efforts are perceived in this critical launch period.

"We work in an industry with the most passionate consumers in the world, so you bet we listen to them. And we've gone out and used all of their feedback to get better this week, to understand and diagnose the problems," says Hubbard. "That's why three days into it now we've got a handle on it and have put in place some system and configuration changes with our partners that are going to help us handle that traffic better in the future."

Based on today's speculation, one of those partners may be Ticketmaster. In any case, the way the Phish onsales played out in many ways validates the premise held by Hubbard and others that the concept of the 10 a.m. on-sale may be on its way out.

Boourns
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Phish tickets are the new Radiohead tickets.

Trick Loves The Kids
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
ahahahha the most soulless company in the world is formed

HELLO. WE ARE HERE TO PRESENT... MUSIC. FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

Tylerdurden31
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
OH HAI. TM IZ TALKING TO AEG TO.

we're fucked

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/business/04music.html

Ticketmaster Entertainment, the ticket-selling giant, is in talks with Live Nation and the Anschutz Entertainment Group over a potential merger with either music promoter, people briefed on the talks said Tuesday night.

Ticketmaster appears to be leaning toward a deal with Live Nation, these people said. Speculation about a potential combination of the two companies has percolated among analysts and industry insiders for several years.

A combination of Ticketmaster with either company would create a serious force in the world of music and live events. Long known for its iron grip on ticket sales, Ticketmaster has also become one of the biggest artist-management companies, thanks to its acquisition last year of Front Line Management. That brought it representation of artists like the Eagles, Jimmy Buffett and Miley Cyrus. The company was spun off from IAC/InterActiveCorp last year.

But any potential deal would face several obstacles, including antitrust concerns. Live Nation and AEG are the nation’s two largest event promotion companies. Live Nation, based in Beverly Hills, Calif., is a giant among music promoters, and it has spent more than $200 million to strike deals with the likes of Madonna and Jay-Z. The company, a spin-off from Clear Channel Communications, has faced criticism for its efforts to branch out beyond its mainstay music promotion business to branch out into the recorded music business.

A.E.G., founded by the billionaire investor Philip Anschutz, is known more for its sports promotion events; the company also owns several large venues like the Staples Center in Los Angeles, as well as several sports teams.

A spokesman for Live Nation declined to comment. Representatives for Ticketmaster and A.E.G. could not be reached for comment.

ThomThom
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Ticket+AEG+Live Nation = SUPERCOLLIDER

ThomThom
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Billboard story today regarding the aftermath of the Phish onsale. Its funny how they are saying they are trying to improve things. But while that onsale happend they were trying to fix things on the fly. Yeah thats smart.

All of this nonsense for a fucking jam band? Awesome!

suprefan
02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
All of this nonsense for a fucking jam band? Awesome!

The hippies have powers over these kinds of things.

PrettyRagdoll
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Seriously though.... What ever happened to the Anti- Monopoly laws? Ticketbastard needs to be taken down.

ThomThom
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
The hippies have powers over these kinds of things.

Hippies suck.

SFChrissy
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Kind of. I mean you do see that LN has been selling tickets on their own for all their venues since Jan 1st right?I've been hearing this since mid to late 2007 if it finally happened Jan 09 I wouldn't know cause I haven't been to a show at the fillmore in a minute.

the really big artists in the uk seem to do that. oasis, coldplay, etc. I think maybe radiohead too. at least, they used to. they would have their own dedicated phone lines just for their own concerts. and the tickets would be customized for the band. maybe ticketbastard has consumed all business there now too though. who knows.

smaller artists could never manage it though. it's up to the venues, I think. like gamh and slims in sf have their own ticketing system now.Didn't NIN handle all his own as well as the black keys...I think they handled their pre-sale...

I remember when APE first got started they were handling their own ticket sales outside of ticketmaster.

As for Live Nation...it surprises me that they are based in "Beverly Hills", and that this is where "Bill Graham's Legacy" currently stands...he was from san francisco...

JorgeC
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
horrible...just when i was holding out hope that competition would lower prices. Even though the first few onsales via LN that i was interested in (mostly Wiltern and Palladium shows) showed HIGHER fees, i was still hoping...sigh...

Knapptime
02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
What alot of people don't know is that the promoters in their contracts with Ticketmaster, can ask for X amount to be added to the service charges which they will receive ON TOP of what Ticketmaster was intending to charge. It's a way for promoters to make more money, since for all the money they put up, at best they would see around 15% of the net profit from the concerts. This way the promoter can make money in an area that the artists don't see 85% of.

Although you could argue that sure Ticketmaster lets promoters do this, but if anything the promoters get greedy and that's who your gripe is with, while Ticketmaster takes the heat for them.

But really, Promoters are the only one's bound to lose money, and are the one's putting up the cash to bring bands into town, so I can see why they would want to see a bit more cash.

As for the merger... I work under the LiveNation umbrella, but I'm in Canada so they sell their tickets through Ticketmaster anyways up here. When all this was going down in the US, they didn't bother to strike any deals up here. The LiveNation ticketing system from what I understood was being integrated so that the groundwork was set for Ticketmaster to eventually move in to make the merger as smooth as possible for the fans.

I don't think the merger will be an improvement for fans, nor for bands trying to get a start... but I don't think it will be as terrible as people expect.

boarderwoozel3
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't like this, not one bit.

BlackSwan
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Wait one second here... And possibly AEG...? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/business/04music.html?_r=1&ref=business

Ticketmaster definitely gets the award for Most Obvious Monopolistic Motives of 2009.

suprefan
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Didn't NIN handle all his own as well as the black keys...I think they handled their pre-sale...

Both pre sales were handled by Music Today. Live Nation owns Music Today. Yeah, not so much their own.

shakermaker113
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
$12 Asobi Seksu ticket -> $23.50 after ticketmaster fees (~96% markup)
$22.50 Animal Collective ticket -> $31.50 after livenation fees (~42% markup)

livenation >> ticketmaster

ok, you can't take two examples with different base prices and get an accurate comparison. more data please.

Seriously though.... What ever happened to the Anti- Monopoly laws? Ticketbastard needs to be taken down.

I was reading about this. ticketmaster are not considered a monopoly because we are not their customers. the venues are their customers. they sell their service to the venues. and the venues do have other choices. we are the venue's customers.

Knapptime
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I was reading about this. ticketmaster are not considered a monopoly because we are not their customers. the venues are their customers. they sell their service to the venues. and the venues do have other choices. we are the venue's customers.

I don't know how the laws work exactly either, but what happens when LiveNation/Ticketmaster owned venues are forced to use their ticketing system?

I dont get the monopoly laws.

Boourns
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
ok, you can't take two examples with different base prices and get an accurate comparison. more data please.

So why does a ticket that has nearly half the face value of a ticket at another service have higher surcharges in both dollar and percentage than the more expensive ticket?

betao
02-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Forgive me being ignorant, but do we know that this will cause greater fees on tickets? Or are we just saying that because we hate Ticketmaster?

L

Memorial_07
02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm sure we're all getting upset because were assuming that ticket prices will be raised since both normally charge pretty high prices and if they join, it'll just mean more money

Daft Fro
02-05-2009, 07:01 AM

Cut Copy tix @ Fonda
US $23.00
Convenience Charge
US $8.25
Building Facility Charge
US $2.00

$33.25 Total

TM and LN both suck, its just LN sucks slightly less. We were all rooting for LN purely for the competition.... so much for that....

If this is the case, which makes sense, then then boycott must be brought onto the venue themselves.

It is awesome how now GV is allowing you to purchase tickets to the El Rey & Fonda @ the Fonda Box Office. Massive kudos.

The charges for smaller prices shows via ticketmaster are fucking rediculous. You almost end up paying the same amount in charges as you do for the ticket itself.

To be be fair, on ticketmaster you could get your tickets mailed for the Asobi show, so the min charge @:
$12.00
Convenience Charge
$5.00
Building Facility Charge
$2.00

$19.00 Total

OR

Take advantage of buying tickets via FAX (Troubadour being one of the few places that does this)
Which would be @ $14.00 Total I imagine...

Long live Ticketweb & Groovetickets btw...

shakermaker113
02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't know how the laws work exactly either, but what happens when LiveNation/Ticketmaster owned venues are forced to use their ticketing system?

forced? come on. that's like saying I'm forced to drive my own car. I'm not forced, I'm not even obligated to. I could rent a car or try to bum a ride off somebody or get them to lend me my car. but it'd be fucking supid. I have my own car and in almost all cases that will be the best option.

So why does a ticket that has nearly half the face value of a ticket at another service have higher surcharges in both dollar and percentage than the more expensive ticket?

I don't know. we need more data to draw anything useful. the % and $ surcharge at ticketmaster always varied depending on the base price. what is the % and $ markup of a $12 ticket through livenation?

I have one fair comparison between tm and ln. the fillmore here in SF used to offer tickets free of service charge through their box office on sundays. now that same offer carries a $2 service charge.

If this is the case, which makes sense, then then boycott must be brought onto the venue themselves.

exactly. I've thought of this many times. but it would take such a sacrifice. how many great shows will you miss (standing outside protesting perhaps) to see this change? we'd have to get a lot of people on board.

ticketweb is owned by ticketmaster and, while it has slightly lower fees, I don't think that will last.

RIP bass tickets in the bay area...

Boourns
02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Cut Copy tix @ Fonda
US $23.00
Convenience Charge
US $8.25
Building Facility Charge
US $2.00

$33.25 Total

TM and LN both suck, its just LN sucks slightly less. We were all rooting for LN purely for the competition.... so much for that....

It is awesome how now GV is allowing you to purchase tickets to the El Rey & Fonda @ the Fonda Box Office. Massive kudos.

The charges for smaller prices shows via ticketmaster are fucking rediculous. You almost end up paying the same amount in charges as you do for the ticket itself.

To be be fair, on ticketmaster you could get your tickets mailed for the Asobi show, so the min charge @:
$12.00
Convenience Charge
$5.00
Building Facility Charge
$2.00

$19.00 Total

OR

Take advantage of buying tickets via FAX (Troubadour being one of the few places that does this)
Which would be @ $14.00 Total I imagine...

Actually, the mailed price for an Asobi Seksu ticket IS $23.50.

ADULT Tickets
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $12.00 x 1
US $5.00 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $2.00 x 1
Order Processing Charge US $4.50
TOTAL CHARGES US $23.50

luckyface
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM

TM owns Ticketweb, which is why their fees are skyrocketing.

TheWatcher
02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
What's sad is that so many people are lazy or too busy to do anything about it.

Daft Fro
02-05-2009, 08:11 AM
TM owns Ticketweb, which is why their fees are skyrocketing.

Fuck...

fatbastard
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
This is going to be ridiculous when it goes down.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/live-nation-ticketmaster-may-merge/story.aspx?guid=%7B90F83E2B-CD87-4588-A655-E1829129BD4F%7D&dist=msr_1

Remember this very conversation we had after Thanksgiving and you kept arguing what I was trying to tell you? Well here you go.

suprefan
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Remember this very conversation we had after Thanksgiving and you kept arguing what I was trying to tell you? Well here you go.

We'll talk when we are waiting outside for Morrissey tonight ok?

BlackSwan
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
What's the deal with Ticketmaster going after AEG too... is that for real?

uscjeff
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
do we still get to keep the gigantic tickets?

God I hope not. F those things

marooko
02-05-2009, 02:15 PM
so, anyone in the mood to do anything about this? not that i would ever purchase satellite radio, but if i ever wanted to...i only have one option. not cool. concert tickets i purchase, i dont like this.

shakermaker113
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
this is going to replace north korea in the axis of evil.

Knapptime
02-05-2009, 07:07 PM
forced? come on. that's like saying I'm forced to drive my own car. I'm not forced, I'm not even obligated to. I could rent a car or try to bum a ride off somebody or get them to lend me my car. but it'd be fucking supid. I have my own car and in almost all cases that will be the best option.

Well that's what I mean. If "Live Nation Ticketmaster" (as they are to call it) own the venue, with venue staff under contract, and they own the box office, etc... it creates a vertical system, which is what I thought was illegal... which I understand is different than monopolizing one sector.

I don't know what my point is... I'm just trying to figure out how they could possibly merge, owning nearly every ticketing service out there between the two of them, and not be nailed as a monopoly. Kind of like talking to yourself, only typing.

Rats!
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
on top of service charges, LN charges facility fees at their own venues (Palladium).
the Ratatat show @ the Palladium is $20 face, but LN tacks on a $9 fee + $1 facility charge, making it 50% of fees on top of face value. Keep in mind that LN already gets part of the face value since they own the Palladium! So once it's all added up, over 1/3 of the ticket price is going STRAIGHT to LiveNation, who really doesn't do shit for the band!

TM does that as well at venues like the Orpheum, whose box office doesn't sell tickets until the day of the show. So they take advantage of it and charge a good 8-10 bucks on a $20-30 ticket as well (e.g. Funny People show and Cold War Kids). Then you're stuck with an extra ~$4.50 order processing fee so 2 tickets which should be $40 total turns into $60-$65. Again, the ticket price is inflated about 50% by bullshit fees.

They're both assholes... you can't choose one over the other. However, from personal experience, TM's average fees are way less than LN's.

TheWatcher
02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I guess this explains the lame makeover of the Ticketmaster website. To make it less useful and more frustrating, to match the ambiance of the LiveNation website.

... I think I may hate LiveNation more than Ticketmaster

shakermaker113
02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Well that's what I mean. If "Live Nation Ticketmaster" (as they are to call it) own the venue, with venue staff under contract, and they own the box office, etc... it creates a vertical system, which is what I thought was illegal... which I understand is different than monopolizing one sector.

I don't know what my point is... I'm just trying to figure out how they could possibly merge, owning nearly every ticketing service out there between the two of them, and not be nailed as a monopoly. Kind of like talking to yourself, only typing.

that's a good point. if the ticketing provider owns all the venues then perhaps that changes the monopoly angle. interesting... maybe in some twisted way this would be to our advantage in terms of possible legal action.

tubescape
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
a little gripe of mine... Live Nation has been sending out these "shows in your area" to my e-mail, similar to Ticketmaster, but when you click on the "more info" link for a particular artist at a particular venue, the page it sends you to doesn't list the ticket price. is there any one piece of info that is more important than the ticket price!?!? I mean, the announcement tells you the band, the venue, and the date of the show and the date the tix go on-sale. Only other thing I want to know is the price! Anyways, I e-mailed them and asked why the "more info" page you get sent to doesn't list the ticket price and the response I got was "ticket prices are subject to change until the day they go on sale, so they are not posted until the day they go on sale." What a load of crap! Ticketmaster routinely tells you the price and I swear that up until I started getting these Live Nation e-mails, that they too also told you the price beforehand. Anyways, I think it's lame for them to not announce ticket prices now until the day of.

Rockstarboy37
02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Great now they can steal more of our money.

uscjeff
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Kind of strange, but it appears that Jimmy Buffett at Irvine is going on sale on Ticketmaster on Monday even though the show is at Verizon Amp so it should be on sale via Live Nation. Maybe Live Nation is moving big shows back to TM until it can figure out its server issues??

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09004245D03A6020?artistid=734667&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

meat curtains
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
fuck.

Blinken
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
so, anyone in the mood to do anything about this? not that i would ever purchase satellite radio, but if i ever wanted to...i only have one option. not cool. concert tickets i purchase, i dont like this.

This is a different issue altogether from satellite radio. One the high costs of operation made it impossible for them to not have a hish subscribber base. Plus they technically compete with regualr radio an HD radio. So the consumer has alternatives.

This Ticketmaster merger could be seen as creating a monopoly because of the massive size and lack substantial competition.

suprefan
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Kind of strange, but it appears that Jimmy Buffett at Irvine is going on sale on Ticketmaster on Monday even though the show is at Verizon Amp so it should be on sale via Live Nation. Maybe Live Nation is moving big shows back to TM until it can figure out its server issues??

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09004245D03A6020?artistid=734667&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Yep that would be it.

Story today with some other tidbits

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/02/06/647411.aspx

Soon after the Wall Street Journal reported that Live Nation and Ticketmaster Entertainment were in merger talks, everyone from bloggers to the New York Times speculated on what it ultimately meant for the music industry. But could it all be just sound and fury, ultimately signifying nothing?

Neither company has issued a statement confirming or denying the talks, which can be interpreted as a form of confirmation they are talking. A Live Nation spokesman told Pollstar the company does not comment on “market speculation” and a Ticketmaster spokesman had a similar response. But if a merger deal does come to fruition, it would signify the next step in the continuing transformation of the entire music industry.

But let’s take a different tack and dumb it down. Which of the following raises stock prices and which lowers them: Talks of merger – or, instead, Live Nation announcing it is abandoning its ticketing system and becoming, once again, a Ticketmaster client?

The timing of the announcement comes so soon after Live Nation’s new ticketing system melted down during its first major on-sale, it begs the question of what’s driving the talks.

The Phish tour went on sale January 30 with a system Live Nation thought could handle high demand levels. Instead, the on-sale created incredible ill will as fans grew increasingly frustrated with their inability to complete transactions without error messages. The tickets reportedly all got sold but, because of the number of times the system crashed, many are wondering if anything got lost or duplicated along the way and if an accurate audit trail exists.

The Live Nation ticketing system failure may not have been as bad as the rumors made it out to be – but even a minor glitch would have been enough to make agents and managers very nervous about how it might impact their clients.

Live Nation has more high profile ticket launches on the horizon for Jonas Brothers and U2, along with their shed season inventory. Yet, less than a week after the Phish crash, word floated around that Live Nation was asking (or being told to ask) for Ticketmaster’s help on Jimmy Buffett’s ticket sales. By that same evening, a source told the WSJ of the merger talks.

For the two companies it could be a win-win. Live Nation and Ticketmaster could form a massive new company that just might get a better reception from the stock market. Or, if the Department of Justice nixes the merger, Ticketmaster could end up as “just” Live Nation’s ticketing portal. Live Nation can return to TM while saving face, and TM has an important client back. All this while the rest of the industry was busy chattering about the “big merger.”

That’s the simplest scenario. Here are the some of the more complicated ones.

The merger is real. And the carrot is simply access to Ticketmaster’s customer database, which was reportedly a prime reason for the split in the first place. (There was also a rumor that the final straw was when Live Nation insisted TM tack on $20 surcharges and take the heat – a rumor that doesn’t seem so farfetched now that LN has followed a similar model on its own.)

Here’s another: Ticketmaster Entertainment was said to be in talks to purchase 50 percent of AEG Live, but the TM board balked, likely because of the asking price. AEG is not going to be sold for fire sale prices if at all. Then came the Live Nation ticketing snafu and the light of leverage and opportunity illuminated the offices of Mr. Azoff. By threatening to merge with Live Nation, Ticketmaster could make AEG fidgety enough to reconsider the purchase. What if both happened? Could TM wind up with a stake in both companies? If so, anyone want to guess who’d call the shots?

Now here’s the rub: If Live Nation and Ticketmaster merge, how can any other promoter feel secure using TM as a neutral ticket seller? With Live Nation and Ticketmaster as one, Live Nation could have access to competitors’ ticket counts. If that doesn’t frighten every other promoter, what would?

There are certainly several other theories. The whole thing could just be smoke and no deal ever emerges. The Department of Justice may grow teeth and nix a deal, although the sinking economy could divert the Obama administration’s attention.

But any way you look at it, things will never be the same as they ever was.

cooperb1
02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/Stuntman_Mike-L/logic.jpg

Memorial_07
02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
No one could say it better

shakermaker113
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
that makes no sense to me.

shakermaker113
02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
for those who haven't had a chance to witness first hand yet...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/shakermaker113/ridiculous.jpg

also the fillmore website lies. on sundays the box office tickets are still free of service charge.

ThomThom
02-08-2009, 02:09 PM

also the fillmore website lies. on sundays the box office tickets are still free of service charge.

Fuck, that thing looks like a boarding pass.

MissingPerson
02-08-2009, 02:11 PM
What's that about Silent Hill...?

suprefan
02-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I would hide those barcodes if I were you.

suprefan
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
And so it begins

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/02/09/647593.aspx

Live Nation and Ticketmaster reportedly met last night, Feb. 8, with a merger to be announced as early as today.

The board meetings, held right after the Grammys, would announce the attempt to form Live Nation Entertainment, according to the Wall Street Journal. Initial reports had the name as Live Nation Ticketmaster. All but final negotiations were completed Feb. 8, with an announcement due as early as today or tomorrow, the WSJ reported.

Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino would retain his title in the new company, and Ticketmaster CEO Irving Azoff would be named executive chairman, retaining his control of Front Line Management, the paper said. Barry Diller, who runs Ticketmaster’s former parent company and is TM’s chairman, will be named nonexecutive chairman.

Sources told the WSJ the merger is expected to pass regulation with ease because the two companies are not competitors. Industry foes, however, fear the merger would exert undue influence – a venue, for instance, would feel pressure to renew its Ticketmaster contract lest it find Front Line artists or Live Nation tours diverting concerts from the facility.

One expert told the WSJ regulators could oppose the merger because of its “vertical” integration model, although that has not been the case of late. President Barack Obama’s new administration, though, may oppose the deal considering the public’s animosity toward both companies, the paper noted.

shakermaker113
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
What's that about Silent Hill...?

for a moment you scared me into thinking they had started advertising on the tickets. what exactly are you referring to?

Yeah, I would hide those barcodes if I were you.

good point. done.

suprefan
02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
There you have it

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/02/10/647933.aspx

Live Nation and Ticketmaster reportedly ironed out their differences Monday and agreed to merge.

A source told USA Today the two companies agreed to become one that is valued at $2.5 billion. The merger would pass savings on to the consumer, who would have the ability to handpick seats at concerts.

Live Nation Entertainment would save the companies $40 million annually by eliminated duplication, according to USA Today.

Live Nation would reportedly offer 1.384 shares of stock for each TM share. Each company would have seven representatives on the 14-member board.

The merger still faces approval by the U.S. Department of Justice.

DHARMA2112
02-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Maybe with the new merge the company will agree to block the ip of a certain Supre...

uscjeff
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Just go back to using TM's tickets and systems ASAP!

BlackSwan
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
More bullshit...

LIVE NATION AND TICKETMASTER ENTERTAINMENT TO COMBINE IN MERGER OF
EQUALS TO CREATE WORLD'S PREMIER LIVE ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY

Combination Will Drive Greater Access, Transparency and Choice in Ticketing to Serve Fans,
Artists and Entire Live Entertainment Industry

Will Improve Live Event Attendance, Supporting Venues and a Healthier Industry

LOS ANGELES and WEST HOLLYWOOD, February 10, 2009 – Live Nation (NYSE: LYV) and
Ticketmaster Entertainment ("Ticketmaster") (NASDAQ: TKTM) today announced that they have
entered into a definitive merger agreement to create the world's premier live entertainment
company. The combined entity, which will be called Live Nation Entertainment, joins Live
Nation's concert promotions expertise with Ticketmaster's world-class ticketing solutions and
artist relationships to improve the live entertainment experience and drive major innovations in
ticketing technology, marketing and service. Live Nation Entertainment will have the tools to
expand access, improve transparency and deliver artists and fans more choice – driving greater
attendance at live events and bringing more value to all major constituents in the industry.

The companies will be combined in a tax-free, all-stock merger of equals with a combined
enterprise value of approximately $2.5 billion. Under the agreement, Ticketmaster shareholders
will receive 1.384 shares of Live Nation common stock for each share of Ticketmaster they own,
subject to certain adjustments defined within the agreement. Live Nation and Ticketmaster
shareholders will each own approximately 50 percent of the combined company. The new
company anticipates generating approximately $40 million of operating synergies through the
combination of their ticketing, marketing, data centers and back-office functions. The merger
agreement was approved by both companies' boards of directors.

Barry Diller, Chairman of Ticketmaster Entertainment, said, "It was less than two months ago
that Ticketmaster ended its 10-year partnership with Live Nation, and I'm extremely glad we
could reunite with this combination. No different from any other industry, the challenges are all
around every aspect of live entertainment. Being able to put Live Nation and Ticketmaster into
an equal partnership will allow the companies to get through this difficult period and be able to
expand live entertainment options to audiences throughout the world."

Michael Rapino, CEO of Live Nation, said, "This combination will drive measurable benefits to
consumers and accelerate the execution of our strategy to build a better artist-to-fan direct
distribution platform. As every industry observer knows, too many tickets go unsold and too
many fans are frustrated with their ticket-buying experiences. The current inefficiencies in the
system result in higher costs and confusion over access to seats. Together, we will work to
simplify the ticketing process and ultimately increase attendance at live events. This is also a
logical step in the evolution of our business model, creating a more diversified company with a
stronger financial profile that will drive improved shareholder value over the long term."

Irving Azoff, CEO of Ticketmaster Entertainment, said, "This merger, and the resources of these
combined companies, will create a new dynamic and unique creative platform of choice for fans
across all levels of the live entertainment experience. There is nothing more magical than the
bond and the intimate relationship of fans to artists. It is truly an experience that needs to be
embraced and nurtured with both integrity and respect. One of the mandates of the combined
company will be to develop that bond to unsurpassed levels. Additionally, the Live Nation and
Ticketmaster relationship will allow the live entertainment community and their respective
venues to reach fans on unparalleled platforms. I look forward to working closely with Michael
Rapino and the Live Nation team during this exciting and industry changing time."

By integrating these two businesses, Live Nation Entertainment can work to:

Improve Access and Transparency

By uniting an artist, promoter and ticketing company under a combined banner, the new entity
will be positioned to address the challenges of serving fans better at the point of the initial ticket
sale with more options and better access.

Improve Ticket Pricing Options

The merger will enable more innovative and dynamic promotion arrangements that create more
choice and a more fan-friendly purchasing experience. As an example, the Eagles' recent all-
inclusive pricing initiative was favorably received by the public as well as the broader industry.

Invest in Better Ticketing Technology

The combination will enable increased R&D investment and the sort of technology advances
that improve the ticketing experience for consumers and deliver best-in-class solutions to artists,
other content owners and venues. Live Nation Entertainment will be better positioned to deliver
technological advances such as paperless ticketing as well as interactive seat access and
mobile delivery.

Increase Event Attendance

A very substantial portion of the tickets put on sale to the public for live events goes unsold.
The new company will be positioned to take full advantage of its combined online resources,
databases and promotional operations to strengthen and enhance the direct connection
between artists and fans. This will create opportunities to improve attendance at events,
benefiting venues and supporting a healthier live entertainment industry.

The combined company will be led by Barry Diller as Chairman of the Board, Michael Rapino as
CEO and President of Live Nation Entertainment and Irving Azoff as Executive Chairman of Live
Nation Entertainment and CEO of Front Line. Live Nation Entertainment's board will consist of
14 directors, seven from each company. The companies will continue to operate independently
until the transaction is completed and will work together to determine where the combined
company's headquarters location will be as well as to determine additional management
appointments prior to closing.

The transaction is subject to approval by both companies' shareholders, consent of
Ticketmaster bank lenders and the satisfaction of customary closing conditions and regulatory
review and approvals. The companies expect the transaction to be completed by the second
half of 2009.

Goldman, Sachs & Co. acted as financial advisor and Latham & Watkins LLP acted as legal
counsel to Live Nation. Deutsche Bank provided advisory services and delivered a fairness
opinion to the Board of Live Nation. J.P. Morgan acted as financial advisor and Wachtell Lipton
Rosen & Katz and Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP acted as legal advisors to Ticketmaster. Allen
& Company delivered a fairness opinion to Ticketmaster.

For more information about this transaction, please visit www.premierliveentertainment.com.

luckyface
02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Transparency... riiiight.

shakermaker113
02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
yup, we'll see right through those service charges. oops, sorry, convenience charges.

kitt kat
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
"it's so convenient that you can buy tickets to see this show rather than standing outside the venue hoping to hear some music that we will charge you $26 for such amazing convenience."

karecares
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_en_mu/live_nation_ticketmaster

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department will investigate the proposed merger of ticketing giant Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. with Live Nation Inc. to see if the combined company would create an unfair monopoly in the ticket-selling business.

Federal antitrust lawyers are "committed to vigorous enforcement of the merger antitrust laws and will conduct a thorough investigation of the proposed Ticketmaster/Live Nation transaction," said Justice Department spokeswoman Gina Talamona.

The deal would match the world's dominant ticket seller, Ticketmaster, with Live Nation, which was once it's biggest client and is the world's No. 1 concert promoter.

A Justice Department investigation could take months or longer, and the department has probed Ticketmaster in the past.

Some lawmakers are already urging the government to reject the deal.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-N.J., want the government to stop the deal in part because of problems experienced with Ticketmaster's recent offering of tickets to Bruce Springsteen shows.

The Boss has also weighed in, opposing the deal.

"The one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near-monopoly situation in music ticketing," Springsteen said on his Web site.

Live Nation owns 140-plus venues and has multiyear comprehensive rights deals covering the tours of Madonna, Jay-Z, U2, Nickelback and Shakira.

Live Nation last year ended a long-term contract to sell its concert tickets through Ticketmaster, and it launched its own ticketing service for its venues in January. That threatened to siphon off at least 15 percent of Ticketmaster's revenue and had set the two companies up for a head-to-head fight to win ticketing contracts.

A merger would quell that fight — which could raise the ire of regulators, antitrust experts said.

Because both companies are large — with market capitalizations of around $400 million — they are required to submit a notice to the Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department for review of antitrust issues.

In 1994, Pearl Jam complained to the government that Ticketmaster refused to agree to low concert ticket prices and fees, and that the grunge band couldn't organize a tour without Ticketmaster's cooperation. The case was dismissed a year later. Attorney General Janet Reno said then that new enterprises were entering the ticketing business.

Today, Ticketmaster is still the world's main force in ticketing.

It sold 141 million tickets in 2007. Aside from concerts, theater shows and family events, it has deals with the NFL, NBA and NHL and the Premier League of U.K. football. It sells tickets for more than 80 percent of the major arenas and stadiums in the U.S., according to concert tracking firm Pollstar.

Although ticket resale sites have gained in popularity, such as eBay Inc.'s StubHub or RazorGator.com, they rely for their supply on ticket brokers or consumers who bought tickets mainly from Ticketmaster first and are reselling them at a profit.

suprefan
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
The plot thickens. Business as usual for now though.

obzen
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
"it's so convenient that you can buy tickets to see this show rather than standing outside the venue hoping to hear some music that we will charge you $26 for such amazing convenience."

:yyablo

MissingPerson
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
for a moment you scared me into thinking they had started advertising on the tickets. what exactly are you referring to?

This, from a few posts up -

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/Stuntman_Mike-L/logic.jpg

Spock, in an internet demotivator, namedropping a fairly obscure J Horror game. I think I had a nerdgasm.

shakermaker113
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
a nerdgasm.

oh my.

psycobetabuckdown
02-12-2009, 05:32 AM
How the hell can the government "reject" a merger? Isn't our market supposed to be free?

shakermaker113
02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.norcalblogs.com/commission/images/fatcats.jpg

zenidogx
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
http://assets1.pitchforkmedia.com/images/original/149404.ticketma.jpg

kreutz2112
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Orrin Hatch ftw.

Blinken
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
How the hell can the government "reject" a merger? Isn't our market supposed to be free?

Umm no. Anti-trust laws are in place to prevent Monopolies. Major mergers must be approved by both the SEC and the Justice Department to go forward, this is prove that a monopoly is not being created. We have never had a true Free Market system, they don't exist except in theory. Same goes for a true controled market, neither is possible outside economics books.

SFChrissy
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I was having a conversation with an old San Francisco native and asked him about a picture of two young gentleman under a marque sign displaying jimmy hendrix...he said "that's me & Bill...he was one of my best friends for many years! I asked him "how do you think bill would feel about live nation and the level they took his work too?" He said..."are you kidding me, if he were alive today none of this bs would be going on, he's probably turning in his grave as we speak!!!"

Live nation = legacy my arse!!!

suprefan
02-27-2009, 08:10 AM
http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/02/27/651298.aspx

The proposed merger of Live Nation and Ticketmaster, dubbed “vertical integration on steroids” by Jam Productions’ Jerry Mickelson, came to Washington, D.C., as the U.S. Senate and House judiciary antitrust subcommittees met to take testimony from industry leaders on both sides of the fence.

Both committees put Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino and Ticketmaster Entertainment chief Irving Azoff on the hot seats, starting with the Feb. 24 Senate panel. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) in particular landed rhetorical blows to both, with IMP’s Seth Hurwitz and Mickelson passing ammunition.

The House committee met two days later, sans Mickelson and Hurwitz and adding Comcast-Spectacor’s Peter Luukko to the witness list, before a decidedly more friendly group of congressional inquisitors.

At the Senate hearing, Rapino cited an “irreparably broken music industry” as a reason for proposing the merger, saying the “business model is obsolete as an eight-track tape” and acknowledging the need to create value for shareholders.

“Our stock has declined by nearly two-thirds. Our real estate holdings have been gutted. Our hard work is not producing the rewards it should. We face the very real possibility that if we don’t find a solution, we could ultimately be bought by a foreign-owned entertainment conglomerate like the majority of the major record labels.”

Rapino told the panel that more than 40 percent of all concert tickets go unsold, and scalpers are to the concert industry what illegal downloaders are to the recording biz.
Azoff told the committee his history of loyalty to his artists and their fans, and explained his job will be to continue benefiting them as well as shareholders.

“I’ve been an agent, a personal manager, a concert promoter, a movie producer, an independent record label owner, a merchandiser, a music publisher, a record company CEO and, at times, a babysitter and a bail bondsman. I’m a founding member of the Recording Artists’ Coalition and staunch supporter of artists’ rights,” Azoff said.

“In 2005, I returned to my first love – the management of artists – at Front Line Management. While I’m honored to be here, if I wasn’t doing this right now, I’d be in the Rayburn Building with the musicFIRST coalition and all the artists who are seeking congressional support for the performance rights bill.”

He also raised the specter of the recent Bruce Springsteen ticketing snafu, blaming the problem on a computer “glitch” which seemed to rankle the senators. Schumer was already loaded for bear on that subject, even addressing it in his opening remarks.

Schumer blasted Ticketmaster for the Springsteen onsale fiasco and called for the company to, at the very least, sell off its TicketsNow division.

In sharp questioning about TM’s acquisition of TicketsNow, Schumer elicited a somewhat surprising admission from Azoff. Had he been with TM at the time, he would not have made the deal, he said.

“I don’t think there should be a secondary market at all,” Azoff said. “I think it should be illegal. I’ve spoken with senior members of the company, members of the board, about why they even bought it.”

By the time Azoff appeared at the House subcommittee’s hearing two days later, he’d expanded on that statement to say he would recommend that his board sell TicketsNow if an appropriate offer was made.

Hurwitz was the first to bring up what is likely the biggest concern for competing promoters when he said the merger would make it possible for the combined company to have access to his confidential sales and contract data. He took a swipe at Live Nation for following a “model of control” started by Robert Sillerman’s rollup of SFX.

“When is enough control too much? You can’t blame Live Nation any more than you can blame a shark for eating people,” Hurwitz said. “I’ve never had a problem with Ticketmaster that I couldn’t work out. But if this merger goes through, my biggest competitor will have access to all my ticket counts, onsale dates, contracts and history.”

Mickelson was even more emphatic, saying that in some cases his new rival would be able to financially profit from fees on Jam’s shows, as well as obtain data while not sharing theirs with him.

“If this merger is allowed, this entity will have the power to suppress competition and become a rival to not only promoters but venue managers, agents, merchandisers, apparel companies, licensees and sponsorships. It is vertical integration on steroids and … the poster child to show why this country needs antitrust laws.”

Under questioning by chairman Herb Kohl (D-Wis.), Rapino concurred with his independent promoter rivals that data integrity is a legitimate concern.

“I would agree that is a concern on their part,” Rapino said. “We would make sure both divisions are separately run.” He stammered a bit when Kohl asked Rapino if he were willing to put up a “firewall” between companies to protect data.

“In theory, yes,” Rapino responded. “In terms of the data, the concert division should have no information about what Seth or Jam do.”

It wasn’t clear if Hurwitz or Mickelson bought that, but it was clear they didn’t buy the claim that Live Nation has a market share of only 38 percent, as Rapino testified.

“That’s not true,” Mickelson said, holding up a sheet of paper and citing Pollstar box office statistics. “If he’s talking 38 percent, he may be including small clubs, but they control outdoor amphitheatres. They own 90 percent of the amphitheatres, and all the House of Blues and control other theatres. We won’t be able to compete.

“When you look at Ticketmaster, they have control of 90 percent of the Top 100 buildings. With 80-90 percent of the major arenas, can other ticketing businesses enter? I don’t think so. What could happen is Ticketmaster/Live Nation could say, ‘If you want my concerts, you have to use my tickets. If you don’t use my tickets, you can’t have my artist.’ That’s a huge concern.”

Hurwitz later questioned Rapino’s assertion that Live Nation is in financial straits and in danger of being acquired by foreign interests unless the merger is finalized.

“It’s interesting to see the rest of the world figure out how ridiculous our business is,” he told Pollstar after the hearing. “You’ve got companies crying poormouth here, while they tout every earnings release as great news. Which is it? I can’t wait to see how they decide to spin next week’s numbers.”

At the House hearing, no independent promoters, artists or other industry opponents were among the witnesses.

“I can’t tell you how many calls and e-mails I got from people who hate this and are afraid to talk. And isn’t that perfectly telling? Seriously, maybe they ought to set up an anonymous hotline,” Hurwitz said.

By the second hearing of the week, Rapino and Azoff seemed to have fine-tuned their testimony from the Senate committee’s grilling. Rapino took aim at rival AEG during his opening statement.

Rapino said that Live Nation has a market cap of $250 million and $700 million in debt, and a margin of 4 percent. Then, he said, compare that to AEG, a privately held company, “owned by a multi-billionaire,” an obvious reference to AEG principal Philip Anschutz, “the 31st richest man in America.”

He claimed that the AEG-owned Staples Center in Los Angeles alone is worth more than Live Nation and Ticketmaster combined.

He continued to paint AEG as at least as powerful as Live Nation, saying it promoted five of the Top 10 concert tours last year while LN promoted just four. “They are the true vertically integrated company.”

Comcast-Spectacor President / COO Peter Luukko was a supportive witness before the House subcommittee, initially chaired by Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.). The last half of the hearing was chaired by Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.), who took the gavel when Johnson was called away to another meeting.

“I have come to understand the benefits of having a vertically integrated live entertainment business,” Luukko said in a prepared statement. “I believe that the merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation is an exciting combination that has the potential to reinvigorate the industry at a time when change of direction is drastically needed.”

Luukko also works closely with professional sports teams and leagues, which have not been a core business for Live Nation, but with which Ticketmaster has contracts. Some sports entities, including several Major League Baseball teams, have contracts with other ticketing agents including Tickets.com and Veritix.

Vertical integration of MLB as well as other pro sports leagues was discussed, although it should be noted that baseball famously has a congressional antitrust exemption.

But Luukko came to the hearing from a position of experience in dealing with vertical integration, including F&B with Comcast-Spectacor-owned Ovations and its own attempt to bring ticketing in-house with the acquisition of Paciolan.

“I think the merger will bring welcome change,” Luukko continued. “If together Ticketmaster and Live Nation can sell more tickets, and thereby provide more content to venues and consumers, this will be a huge improvement over the status quo. I also believe that this type of strategic combination will encourage other competitors (like myself) to be more creative in their offerings and to compete more effectively overall.”

Luukko dismissed fears of anti-competitive behavior from a merged Live Nation Entertainment.

“I certainly don’t have any reason to believe that the combination will in any way stifle competition. There are a lot of ticketing companies (our own included), promoters, venues and artist managers out there eager to do business. Nor do I think that my buildings will be less likely to attract or secure the same level of concert talent that Live Nation and many others have offered us before."

“At the end of the day, the artist has the ultimate control over where he or she wants to play,” Luukko concluded.

AquaFresh
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n7iotc.png

justinaqui
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Billy Corgan Endorses Ticketmaster/Live Nation Merger
thumbnail icon: Billy Corgan Endorses Ticketmaster/Live Nation Merger

Mr. Corgan was busy in Washington today, first appearing before the House Committee on the Judiciary in a hearing on the Performance Rights Act, then delivering a letter in support of the controversial Ticketmaster/Live Nation merger.

http://stereogum.com/archives/mr-corgan-goes-to-washington_057782.html

They post the letter too, with this greatness at the bottom:

P.S. Ticketmaster CEO Irving Azoff is the Smashing Pumpkins' manager.

JustSteve
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
at one point a guy i worked for was in talks to manage billy. said he was the biggest dick. sharon osbourne ended up getting him and everyone knows how that went. wasn't the quote something like "i can no longer manage him due to health reasons...billy corgan is making me sick"...

BlackSwan
03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n7iotc.png

at one point a guy i worked for was in talks to manage billy. said he was the biggest dick. sharon osbourne ended up getting him and everyone knows how that went. wasn't the quote something like "i can no longer manage him due to health reasons...billy corgan is making me sick"...

It's funny, because it's true.

JustSteve
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
wasn't sure where to put this, figured this is good enough.

i feel so bad for ticketmaster...or not:
Net income fell almost 80% to $7.25 million from $32.7 million in the first quarter of 2008. The company said ticket sales were down in concerts, sports and family fare but not arts and theater. Revenue from ticket sales was down 3% from the previous year, and the number of tickets sold was off by 8% because of the expiration of Ticketmaster's contract to oversee admissions for Live Nation events.

Ardentbiscuit
09-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Whatever happened with this?

They need to hurry and do something. It's annoying clicking into Livenation and being redirected to Ticketmaster and vice versa.

shakermaker113
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
but the livenation fee free wednesdays offer is awfully nice.

Ardentbiscuit
09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Yes, the Wednesday specials are awesome.

Too bad Goldenvoice doesn't run specials.

shakermaker113
09-16-2009, 08:25 AM
well if they remain separate companies ticketmaster may be forced to actually be competitive and produce offers of their own. maybe.

suprefan
09-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Whatever happened with this?

They need to hurry and do something. It's annoying clicking into Livenation and being redirected to Ticketmaster and vice versa.

Cant happen, and you figure they just decided to wotk together to make it easier. %99 of the public associates buying tickets with ticketmaster, not live nation. so the re directing helps the consumer recognize the other brand name, TM scratches their back, LN scratches theirs.

fatbastard
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Oct 7, 2009 11:03 am US/Pacific Live Nation Extends Discounts To ClubsLOS ANGELES (AP) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
Concert promoter Live Nation Inc. is extending its discount Wednesdays program to include general admission tickets at its clubs this week.

Concert promoter Live Nation Inc. is extending its discount Wednesdays program to include general admission tickets at its clubs this week, as a successful summer of concerts at its larger amphitheaters winds down.

Live Nation's Global Music CEO Jason Garner says the recession is making it easier to agree with many artists to cut prices and help draw more fans into venues.

More than 350 artists -- including Jewel, Boyz II Men, and All American Rejects -- agreed to offer 2-for-1 prices on tickets sold this Wednesday for certain shows through the end of the year on LiveNation.com.

suprefan
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
ummmm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/01/ticketmaster-live-nation-merger-okd-with-conditions.html

The Department of Justice today said it will require Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. to divest its ticketing assets and license its ticketing software before it can proceed with its proposed $2.5-billion merger with Live Nation Inc.

The DOJ's antitrust division, along with 17 state attorneys general, today filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., to block the proposed transaction. At the same time, it filed a proposed settlement that, if approved by the court, would resolve the department's concerns about preserving competition in concert ticketing.

Under the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must license ticket software and divest ticketing assets to two different companies, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) of Los Angeles and either Comcast-Spectacor or another buyer, to allow head-to-head competition with Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster will also subject itself to court-ordered restrictions on its behavior.

Ticketmaster must license a copy of its ticketing software to AEG, the nation's second-largest concert promoter and operator of major concert venues. This would allow AEG to offer an alternative source of ticketing for venues.

As part of the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must divest Paciolan Inc., a ticketing company it currently owns, within 60 days. Comcast-Spectator, a sports and entertainment company with relationships with a number of concert venues, has already signed a letter of intent to purchase the assets.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/justice-department-approves-ticketmaster-live-nation-merger-with-conditions.html

Justice Department approves Ticketmaster, Live Nation merger -- with conditions
January 25, 2010 | 12:17 pm

Fi-ticketmaster26-blog
The Department of Justice today said it will require Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. to divest its ticketing assets and license its ticketing software before it can proceed with its proposed $2.5-billion merger with Live Nation Inc.

The DOJ's antitrust division, along with 17 state attorneys general, today filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., to block the proposed transaction. At the same time, it filed a proposed settlement that, if approved by the court, would resolve the department's concerns about preserving competition in concert ticketing.

Under the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must license ticket software and divest ticketing assets to two different companies, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) of Los Angeles and either Comcast-Spectacor or another buyer, to allow head-to-head competition with Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster will also subject itself to court-ordered restrictions on its behavior.

Ticketmaster must license a copy of its ticketing software to AEG, the nation's second-largest concert promoter and operator of major concert venues. This would allow AEG to offer an alternative source of ticketing for venues.

As part of the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must divest Paciolan Inc., a ticketing company it currently owns, within 60 days. Comcast-Spectator, a sports and entertainment company with relationships with a number of concert venues, has already signed a letter of intent to purchase the assets.

The merged firm would be forbidden from retaliating against any venue owner that chooses another company's ticketing or promotional services, under the proposed settlement.

Ticketmaster and Live Nation applauded the proposed final judgment.

"Their resolution is a great win for fans," said Irving Azoff, Tickemaster chief executive.

Ticketmaster, based in West Hollywood, is the world's largest ticketing company. Live Nation is the world's largest promoter of live concerts. It is located in Beverly Hills.

JorgeC
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
"As part of the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must divest Paciolan Inc., a ticketing company it currently owns, within 60 days."

Is Paciolan Inc = ticketweb? I wasn't aware of TM owning ANOTHER ticketing company, unless Paciolan is a ticket reseller. hmmm.

"The merged firm would be forbidden from retaliating against any venue owner that chooses another company's ticketing or promotional services, under the proposed settlement."

I'm interested in hearing how this would be monitored....

psycobetabuckdown
01-25-2010, 09:48 PM
haha spectacor

bballarl
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, Irving Azoff, this is definitely a win for fans...oh wait, no it fucking isn't. It's a win for your well-lined pockets. Fuck you.

That said, this isn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

tubescape
01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
shoulda bought stock in either TM or LN two days ago...

suprefan
01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
"As part of the proposed settlement, Ticketmaster must divest Paciolan Inc., a ticketing company it currently owns, within 60 days."

Is Paciolan Inc = ticketweb? I wasn't aware of TM owning ANOTHER ticketing company, unless Paciolan is a ticket reseller. hmmm.

"The merged firm would be forbidden from retaliating against any venue owner that chooses another company's ticketing or promotional services, under the proposed settlement."

I'm interested in hearing how this would be monitored....

TM owns ticketweb, silently bought a couple years ago. They just wanted it, they didnt change that much about it. It gave ticketweb a boost since they had funding to start doing a few other things like print at home ticketing and stuff.

suprefan
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
:nono

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2010/02/12/709543.aspx

Live Nation Entertainment and Walmart have inked a deal that will allow Walmart shoppers to buy tickets to concerts, sports and other community events at around 500 stores in the coming months, chairman Irving Azoff said today at the NBA Technology Summit in Dallas.

"Walmart and Ticketmaster have entered into an agreement for selling event access in Walmart stores in select markets,” Azoff told a summit panel. “The system is in the process of rolling out to approximately 500 stores in the coming months, including major market cities such as Chicago and Los Angeles.

“Tickets can be purchased for community, sporting, and concert events with the help of Walmart associates at registers in the store Entertainment department. We look forward to sharing more information in the future about this partnership."

Azoff was on the Grassroots Digital panel, alongside Dave Alberga, Charles Barkley, Alan Cohen, Mark Cuban, Daniel Gilbert and Michael Sprague when he made his comments.

It’s not the first deal the LNE chairman has cut with the megastore chain. He’s obviously had some good luck with Walmart shoppers before, as Azoff engineered an exclusive arrangement for Walmart to be the sole outlet for sales of the Eagles’ Long Road Out Of Eden in 2008.

The experiment certainly worked. The album was the best-selling disc by a group that year.

eturnol
02-17-2010, 11:17 PM
man i would love for google or amazon decide to get into the business, charge far less for tickets but sell far more, and put both of those bastard companies out of business.

kroqken
02-26-2010, 04:12 PM
We need more ticket competition. Monopolies hurt the music fans and consumers.

shoegazer76
02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Does Pearl Jam still do their own ticket distribution.
Pitchfork is using Ticketweb. I orderd my tickets & they were @ my house in 10 days.

suprefan
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
We need more ticket competition. Monopolies hurt the music fans and consumers.

It hasnt hurt you, so what are you worried about. you barely by anything in advance, you show up and beg for tickets at the door.

Pitchfork is using Ticketweb. I orderd my tickets & they were @ my house in 10 days.

ticketmaster owns ticketweb.

kroqken
02-26-2010, 04:21 PM
It hasnt hurt you, so what are you worried about. you barely by anything in advance, you show up and beg for tickets at the door.

ticketmaster owns ticketweb.

I usually only buy tickets at teh door at places like the Echo and Spaceland. Otherwise, I pay in advance unless it is a show that will not sell out, like certain shows at the El Rey or the Fonda Theatre.

microcuts
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM

For their fanclub, yeah they have an allotment set back for each show for 10club members. Not sure what the ticketstock looks like for each show, might just be box office stock.

JorgeC
03-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Looks like the shows that were being sold on the Livenation website are being moved back to the Ticketmaster site this week. I wonder if they'll remove the links that redirected you back to LN at the same time, otherwise will be very confusing.

Wiltern Schedule (http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&q=wiltern)

Sexecutioner
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Now Live Nation wants to increase ticket prices. Well that didnt take long...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/05/the-marriage-of-ticketmaster-and-live-nation-say-hello-to-the-400-ticket.html

The marriage of Ticketmaster and Live Nation: Say hello to the $400 ticket?
May 11, 2010 | 2:30 pm

A POP & HISS COMMENTARY

Monday was a historic day in the music business. Concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment posted its first quarter results as a newly merged company with ticketing giant Ticketmaster. Much of the post-earnings-call press has focused on the stats. The highlights: Concert attendance for the first quarter was down 3%, and the company's revenue from resale site TicketsNow has fallen sharply.

But listen carefully to the conference call discussion with Live Nation Entertainment Chief Executive Michael Rapino and there are hints about the controversial company's future. And they are far removed from some of the pre-merger talk, especially when Rapino and Ticketmaster chief Irving Azoff went before Congress and noted that 40% of all concert tickets went unsold.

Rapino told The Times last year: "In my business, the cheaper the ticket price the better. I'd love for more consumers to walk into an amphitheater, park, have a beer and eat a hot dog. There's no advantage to me to have anything but sold-out shows."

All sounds reasonable, and could lead one to believe a merger would be good for the consumer. The combined entities could use their data and power to better price concerts, and the fan wouldn't have to worry about being gouged. Why, just look at Live Nation's U2 tour, in which about 10,000 tickets per show were priced at an economical $30 -- binoculars not included.

So where is the company sensing a growth opportunity? Concert prices!

"Our fundamental belief at Ticketmaster/Live Nation is the answer to grow our business is less about trying to make $5 or $6 million in service fees off secondaries and much more important to figure out how to capture that $1 billion in up-sell on the face value of tickets," Rapino said during the conference call.

The exec was answering a question about TicketsNow, which came under fire last year after fans trying to buy tickets to see Bruce Springsteen said they had been redirected from Ticketmaster to the resale site, where tickets had a steep markup. The New Jersey attorney general's office launched an investigation, and as part of the fallout TicketsNow further separated from Ticketmaster.

"The minute we had to unlink from our website, that business over the last year has deteriorated," Rapino said.

Indeed, he noted that TicketsNow is currently bringing in about $1 million to $2 million annually. That's down from the $15 million it used to rake in.

Thus, the strategy going forward: "So, whether it's seat maps, dynamic pricing or just convincing the band that the front row is worth $400, not $100, we're noticing a great reception by artists worldwide who would like to capture more of the upside, and our first goal is to figure out how to price the house right."

So let's back up. TicketsNow, the company's brokerage site, is suffering. To compensate, the face value price of the concert ticket will likely change, and notice it's not for the cheaper. To be fair, Rapino was speculating about possibilities and not stating any absolutes. But suddenly, the face value of a front row ticket at a concert jumped a whopping $300.

Proponents of such "dynamic pricing" strategies would argue that the front row is already being sold for $400 on sites such as StubHub, so it might as well be sold at that value from the start. That is, after all, what the market dictates, and dynamic pricing and "seat maps," which easily allow a user to see how much more Row B costs versus Row XX, will add more tiers to concert ticket pricing. Would you pay a little extra for an aisle seat? Someday (perhaps sooner rather than later) you might have that option.

Now, I don't expect massive corporations to buy into my concert-going ideals. I would, for instance, like to see Peter Gabriel before one of us retires, but his recent Hollywood Bowl show was priced out of my budget -- even the nose-bleed seats were pushing close to $100 when service fees were added in. I don't expect anyone at the concert biz to feel bad about that -- nor should they. After all, I should have paid closer attention in math class rather than studying journalism.

But take note -- the Justice Department only approved the merger between Ticketmaster and Live Nation in January. It took all of four months for the newly formed company to hint at higher-priced tickets. Four months.

And the beauty of it all? The company can conveniently trace the change in strategy to the public's complaints about its handling of Springsteen tickets on TicketsNow. Hey, you forced them to re-evaluate their business, and you can no doubt look forward to "no service fee Wednesdays" to score some cheap lawn tickets in Irvine.

"If we do that," Rapino said of dynamic pricing, "that would be the biggest way to grow our gross revenue versus any secondary strategy that was just capturing the fee side of the business." Generally, the company is thinking of ways to capture the difference between the face value of a ticket and the final price sold on broker sites.

So, who's ready to go in on a pair of $750 VIP Roger Waters tickets?

-- Todd Martens

rage patton
05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow. That is some bullshit. So face value for tickets will be $400... and will then be resold for $750. Soon after that, face value will become $750 and will be resold for $1200...

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow. That is some bullshit. So face value for tickets will be $400... and will then be resold for $750. Soon after that, face value will become $750 and will be resold for $1200...

Your logic makes no sense. Why would someone be willing to pay more in the secondary market just because the face value increased? If the most someone is willing to pay for a concert is $750, what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750?

rage patton
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Your logic makes no sense. Why would someone be willing to pay more in the secondary market just because the face value increased? If the most someone is willing to pay for a concert is $750, what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750?

Spoken like a true rich person. Because losing $350 on ticket is a lot of money to lose. The question shouldn't be "what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750," the questions should be "why did the face value of a ticket increase from $400 to $750." Why should the richest person always get row 1 tickets?

Ticketmaster/Livenation are jealous scalpers have such a huge secondhand market and they want to make that money for themselves, by becoming scalpers themselves. If prices do increase, scalpers will be sure to increase their prices as well.

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Spoken like a true rich person. Because losing $350 on ticket is a lot of money to lose. The question shouldn't be "what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750," the questions should be "why did the face value of a ticket increase from $400 to $750." Why should the richest person always get row 1 tickets?

Ticketmaster/Livenation are jealous scalpers have such a huge secondhand market and they want to make that money for themselves, by becoming scalpers themselves. If prices do increase, scalpers will be sure to increase their prices as well.

We all knew it was a matter of time before agencies implemented a more tiered pricing system. Yes, it sucks. It especially sucks for the true music fan who got lucky every once and awhile and scored some front row or pool circle tickets at face value. They were essentially getting the tickets below market value. Now, they will never have that chance.

I agree with everything you say until your last sentence. That's when you get stupid and ignore the whole ‘demand’ side of the equation. Under your logic, scalpers are leaving money on the table as well. You are basically saying that consumers are willing to pay more, but currently scalpers are giving them a deal because they got the tickets for real cheap. In the future, scalpers won't be giving them this deal anymore.

If your original post stopped at "Wow. That is some bullshit.", you'd be just fine.

Sexecutioner
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
wes is right. by jacking up the prices, they are basically trying to cut out the scalper. If scalpers want to buy them for like springsteen or some shit, sure, they might be able to get some extra profit by selling them for $1000 or something, but they would have sold them for $1000 anyway. the price people are willing to pay has nothing to do with how much they originally go onsale for.

PJandBompton
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
If they actually hosted acts that sold tix they wouldn't have to worry about having stupid ass promotions to sell tickets...

rage patton
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I just don't understand why we the concert goers have to suffer because scalpers have created a secondhand market.

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
This is not because of scalpers. Airlines started doing the exact same thing when there isn't a secondary market for airline tickets. They have added tiers that include extra pricing for aisle and window seating, checked luggage, priority boarding, and meals & drinks. Some people are willing to pay more for a better experience and companies understand this, offering more for those willing to pay more. And yes, it sucks for consumers like you and me who were able to get a lot more for our money in the past.

And, WTF is this supposed to mean?

Spoken like a true rich person
What does this have to do with anybody’s argument? You’d be 100 times more accurate if you said “Spoken like a true educated person”. Just because I understand market economics, doesn’t mean I participate and bid up the best seats in the house. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than face value for concert tickets. My decision to go to shows often hinges on my ability to get decent tickets at a good price. If I can’t get good tickets at a good price, I just don’t go and I’m fine with it.

shoegazer76
05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
well if consumers stuck together a boycott might open some eyes. If everybody desired the cheaper tickets over gouged floor seats then cheap seats would sellout much faster I would assume. Example Roger Waters Wall tour.
I wonder how the performer(s) are going to feel & think about this. Will they be seeing any of the gouging profits?
Live Nation & ticketmaster are definately trying to go after the scalper money which is a variable. Just because these scalpers are listing extraordinary prices on various internet sites doesn't mean they're getting those prices. Ulitmately ticketmaster & live nation are going to price themselves out of the market by pissing off fans. Folks just won't go at all because the vast majority of us won't be able to afford or won't support such corporate greed.

elChurro
05-12-2010, 02:02 PM
great, more convenience charges.

rage patton
05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
This is not because of scalpers. Airlines started doing the exact same thing when there isn't a secondary market for airline tickets. They have added tiers that include extra pricing for aisle and window seating, checked luggage, priority boarding, and meals & drinks. Some people are willing to pay more for a better experience and companies understand this, offering more for those willing to pay more. And yes, it sucks for consumers like you and me who were able to get a lot more for our money in the past.

And, WTF is this supposed to mean?

What does this have to do with anybody’s argument? You’d be 100 times more accurate if you said “Spoken like a true educated person”. Just because I understand market economics, doesn’t mean I participate and bid up the best seats in the house. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than face value for concert tickets. My decision to go to shows often hinges on my ability to get decent tickets at a good price. If I can’t get good tickets at a good price, I just don’t go and I’m fine with it.

All shows should just be GA. That is the way it should work. One price, general admission. Whoever shows up at the venue first gets the best seats.

And that second part was a reference to the thread where you stated you didn't think $250,000 a year is a lot of money.

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
So to my question, what does that have to do with this? or are you just being an ass?

Sexecutioner
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
i just think it sucks if the front row is all the richest people and not the biggest fans. although i guess thats how it is already, for the most part. hopefully the cool bands will keep doing what theyve been doing lately, which is offering the best seats to fan club members before they go onsale through TM. the only key is to make those tickets will call only and force them to enter the venue right after picking them up. hopefully this will limit scalpers going after these seats too...

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
^ Exactly. Two very solid solutions.

rage patton
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM
So to my question, what does that have to do with this? or are you just being an ass?

Both, actually. You were saying if people are willing to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, why can't the company charge that much? Well, if I had $400 to spend on front row tickets to my favorite band, I probably would. In reality, a vast majority of concert-goers do not have that much money to spend on a single show. A very tiny minority of people have that much money to spend on a single ticket, and of those people very few who actually spend that much money on a ticket, most probably will not be as big of fans of the band as some people stuck in the back.

i just think it sucks if the front row is all the richest people and not the biggest fans. although i guess thats how it is already, for the most part. hopefully the cool bands will keep doing what theyve been doing lately, which is offering the best seats to fan club members before they go onsale through TM. the only key is to make those tickets will call only and force them to enter the venue right after picking them up. hopefully this will limit scalpers going after these seats too...

I agree with everything said here.

PlayaDelWes
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Both, actually. You were saying if people are willing to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, why can't the company charge that much?

No need to be an ass and you should probably read and reread what I have written. All my arguments go back to your stupid comment saying that scalpers are now going to raise their rates as well. Scalpers are already charging the highest they can get. If they could get more, they would TODAY! Yes, raising face value sucks. Just admit you made a stupid comment to go along with your frustration and then decided to be a jerk on top of that.

Well, if I had $400 to spend on front row tickets to my favorite band, I probably would. In reality, a vast majority of concert-goers do not have that much money to spend on a single show. A very tiny minority of people have that much money to spend on a single ticket, and of those people very few who actually spend that much money on a ticket, most probably will not be as big of fans of the band as some people stuck in the back.

We are in the same boat here. [/BS]

suprefan
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
All shows should just be GA. That is the way it should work. One price, general admission. Whoever shows up at the venue first gets the best seats.

Stupidest theory ever.

Im going to go talk to a few people and get back on this subject.

psycobetabuckdown
05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
This makes a hell of a lot more sense than the current situation. I have never had front row seats for a concert or a basketball game - I've only been in the front for GA concerts. It's because I can't afford front row seats or don't think those seats are worth the money.

It's not like cheap seats are going to disappear - if they do, people won't go to the concert and Live Nation will eventually lower the prices anyway. Simple supply and demand.

suprefan
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Also, you should go see acts that play seated only venues, then you can see how things are, and provide a solid opinion. Come back when you do.

liquidsnake28
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM

The problem with that is people get crushed and die.

http://www.crowdsafe.com/cafe/who20.html

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/12/03/loc_concert_industry.html

rage patton
05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
You are probably right. I know every GA show I have ever been to people have been crushed and died.

psycobetabuckdown
05-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Damn, I can't believe you saw The Who in their heyday, that must've been awesome.

liquidsnake28
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
You are probably right. I know every GA show I have ever been to people have been crushed and died.

They don't do all GA at arenas (anymore) for this reason. GA works fine for smaller shows but it's not realistic at all for this to happen at huge shows. Your idea is extremely idealistic (stupidest idea ever as supre said but I'm trying to be nice) and does not work in this real world at all.

rage patton
05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
They don't do all GA at arenas (anymore) for this reason. GA works fine for smaller shows but it's not realistic at all for this to happen at huge shows. Your idea is extremely idealistic (stupidest idea ever as supre said but I'm trying to be nice) and does not work in this real world at all.

Most arena shows I go to have GA floor. I have also been to a couple theatre show where the whole theatre was GA.

shoegazer76
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I was beaten to the reference about The Who. My cousins went to that show. Most of the shows back then were GA. That show changed everything & well here we are on this thread.

liquidsnake28
05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Exactly.

psycobetabuckdown
05-12-2010, 06:12 PM
So why is it okay at Coachella but not the Staples Center?

Sexecutioner
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
you guys are on crack. there are plenty of arena shows that are still GA floor. i just bought GA floor tickets for Muse. this happens all the time.

suprefan
05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
So why is it okay at Coachella but not the Staples Center?

Because its a disaster in the making. Look into history and youll see why. Again, the Who has been mentioned twice now, and you cease to acknowledge that.

liquidsnake28
05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
No shit 4Ransom, most arena shows are GA floor. We're talking about GA everything, all the seats, the whole fucking arena GA.

suprefan
05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
you guys are on crack. there are plenty of arena shows that are still GA floor. i just bought GA floor tickets for Muse. this happens all the time.

What was said above.

Sexecutioner
05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
No shit 4Ransom, most arena shows are GA floor. We're talking about GA everything, all the seats, the whole fucking arena GA.

oh, sorry, i misunderstood. still, if you ask me, its not a big deal as long as they limit the capacity onto the floor. if they just let the whole crowd try to cram onto the floor, then yea...dangerous.

psycobetabuckdown
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Because its a disaster in the making. Look into history and youll see why. Again, the Who has been mentioned twice now, and you cease to acknowledge that.

Haha what? I'm not rage. I'm on your side. And I was like the first person to acknowledge The Who mention.

My question is why isn't Coachella a disaster in the making?

PJandBompton
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
ummmm HARD Summer '09 anyone?

suprefan
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Haha what? I'm not rage. I'm on your side. And I was like the first person to acknowledge The Who mention.

My question is why isn't Coachella a disaster in the making?

Because you have 5 stages to pick from. Crowd control in a sense happens when set times are being made. You dont think Paul Tollet thinks in his head how people will move in and out of areas so it isnt always full? Yeah, this year he decided to plant a majority of the top talent on Outdoor Theatre, so everyone was there quite a bit of the time, but usually its not like that. Everything is spread out, people have to make choices on where to be, cause you cant be in every place. Also, they planned accordingly with bigger tents and more Pa so people far away could see or hear. But, they sold more tickets, than they should have, so things like parking became an issue that wasnt easily quantified.

fatbastard
01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Longtime promoter Brian Murphy departs Live Nation to join forces with AEG Live
January 9, 2011 | 7:30 pm
In a surprise move that has wide-reaching implications for the local live music scene, Brian Murphy, former chairman of Southern California music for Live Nation, the country’s top concert promoter, has jumped ship to become West Coast president for AEG Live — Live Nation’s strongest competitor.

“It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make in business,” Murphy said in an exclusive interview with The Times. “There are employees I’m leaving who have been with me for 20 years. But it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I’m an L.A. guy, and AEG Live is an L.A.-centric company.”

One of the most respected promoters in the American concert industry — and a pillar of the SoCal scene, the country’s most competitive live music market — Murphy has worked closely with a Who’s Who of pop music’s biggest touring acts: U2, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Madonna, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica among them.

Rick Mueller will remain in place as president of Live Nation’s California division.

Over a 30-year career that he began by booking gigs while still in college, Murphy established Avalon Attractions (a dominant L.A. indie promotions company that was acquired by SFX, the company that presaged Live Nation, in 1998) and has forged close connections with a network of influential music industry contacts. Among them: programming directors at radio stations such as KROQ-FM (106.7) and KIIS-FM (102.7) and real estate developers (Murphy oversaw the rehabilitation of such cherished local music venues as Los Angeles’ Wiltern Theatre and the Hollywood Palladium). But the promoter’s deep relationships with talent agents and managers could provide a critical advantage for AEG Live — particularly at the arena-show level where Live Nation and AEG Live compete most fiercely to pin down top-tier performers.

Paul Tollett, co-founder of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and president of Goldenvoice, AEG Live’s Southern California-based regional division, will work side by side with Murphy in his new capacity; Murphy will oversee concert promotions from Seattle to San Diego as well as AEG venues in Las Vegas. Despite their parent companies’ corporate rivalry, the two have been friends for over a quarter-century, have co-promoted hundreds of shows together and have mutually attempted to hire one each other away several times.

“I’ve always thought he’s the most solid promoter out there,” said Tollett. “His relationships span generations to the biggest names in touring. To have us both on the same team is pretty great. My main competition before was Brian.”

Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live, hailed Murphy as an “iconic promoter” and his part in a new initiative for AEG Live, spearheading the company’s shift emphasis from only providing venues — like downtown L.A.’s Nokia Theatre, the Warfield in San Francisco or Staples Center — where acts perform to becoming a more full-service organization.

“Having Brian really completes us as a company on the West Coast,” Phillips said. “We’ll be booking more shows at the Nokia at the expense of the [Live Nation-owned] Gibson Amphitheatre. We’ll be promoting more shows at Staples as promoters. We’ll be more vibrant, more important as a local promoter as opposed to being just a venue operator. It’s a game-changer.”

Murphy’s move to AEG Live arrives at a time of recent turmoil in the live music industry. Last year, concert ticket sales plummeted and prominent acts including Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and the Jonas Brothers canceled and postponed tours while engagements by the likes of the Eagles, Lillith Fair and American Idols Live! were rescheduled or scaled back.

Still, Murphy, 63, said his love of concert promotions remains undiminished after three decades in the business.

“I love promoting concerts, every aspect of it,” he said. “I’m a very hands-on promoter: working out marketing, ticketing, promotions, right down to night of show. Bands that work with me deserve my undivided attention.”

Asked what had triggered his exit from Live Nation, Murphy denied bad blood had anything to do with it, explaining the company had simply allowed his contract to expire at the time Phillips approached him with what seemed like to good an offer to refuse.

“This is not about animosity, not about anything that happened in the past,” Murphy said. “This was about opportunity. I have the opportunity to think about what I’m going to do next.”
-- Chris Lee

Stickjohn
01-10-2011, 10:37 AM
“This is not about animosity, not about anything that happened in the past,” Murphy said. “This was about opportunity. I have the opportunity to think about what I’m going to do next.”

He's 63. I like this guy.

suprefan
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
AEG starting up their new ticketing service.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/aeg-axs-ticketing-service.html?dlvrit=52115

JorgeC
08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
nice. guess Club Nokia, Nokia Theater and other AEG/GV venues will eventually go this way. ticketfly seems to have picked up a lot of business lately, with a third big player (since ticketweb doesn't count) we may finally see a real reduction in fees.

suprefan
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I just hope they used the technology that doesnt let ticketmaster crash when theres heavy traffic.

BigBryan
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
ticketfly seems to have picked up a lot of business lately, with a third big player (since ticketweb doesn't count) we may finally see a real reduction in fees.

On this note, has anyone else noticed several more shows and event tickets being sold through eventbrite? Seems like a good majority of the shows/clubs I've gone to in the past few months, I've purchased tickets through eventbrite.

uscjeff
08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone read that book that outlines the history of online ticketing? I am about 100 pages in. Forget the name of it but pretty interesting so far

reverb
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Technically, AEG is both a joint owner of Outbox and its largest client.

shudder

suprefan
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Anyone read that book that outlines the history of online ticketing? I am about 100 pages in. Forget the name of it but pretty interesting so far

If youre reading the book, how can you not look at the title?

tmac
08-23-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.ticketmaster.com/interactiveseatmap

finally going to be able to choose seats instead of randomly being assigned. solid move.

Bons222000
08-23-2011, 06:50 PM

finally going to be able to choose seats instead of randomly being assigned. solid move.

That's cool, although I could see it becoming a problem if you want to choose seats that by the time you get to the checkout window are taken, then you have to go back to the beginning.

And of all the artist they could have used for an example, did they HAVE to use Katy Perry?

uscjeff
08-23-2011, 09:16 PM
If youre reading the book, how can you not look at the title?

Posted while at work. Pretty easy to remember - Ticket Masters

JorgeC
08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
That's cool, although I could see it becoming a problem if you want to choose seats that by the time you get to the checkout window are taken, then you have to go back to the beginning.

when a lot of activity is happening for a show, they disable the choose your seats option. i don't know what constitues "a lot of activity", but this is what happened the day of the Social Distortion onsale.

suprefan
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Wait, so you finally discovered this a year later? And trust me, youre going to hate doing this during a major onsale.

cutterbutter
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Won't it be similar to how it is now for venues that have the interactive map? During busy periods (ie onsales) it goes to the automated system, but then later switches to the pick your own seats map. This seems to work well so far. If its going interactive map 100% we're all boned.

suprefan
08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Its the same thing, and it cant be that way from now on, that would be stupid. The learning curve is too steep for the average TM user.

tessalasset
10-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Wow...Bill Silva (Hollywood Bowl) just hopped on over to Live Nation today.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/98101/andrew-hewitt-and-bill-silva-join-live-nation

suprefan
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Are you suprised? Its been in the works for a few years now. LN just wants the venues. They'll keep the name intact, you will just know it was LN's doing hacing the Black Eyed Peas play the Bowl for example, not Hewitt/Silva. LUCKILY The Orpheum is independant, and not a Hewitt/Silva venue.

JorgeC
06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
more venues jumping the ticketmaster ship. Echo and Echoplex tickets are now done via ticketfly. I think the changeover happened this weekend. Hopefully this means hard tickets will be available in-store at Origami vs just having your name put on will call.

suprefan
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
more venues jumping the ticketmaster ship. Echo and Echoplex tickets are now done via ticketfly. I think the changeover happened this weekend. Hopefully this means hard tickets will be available in-store at Origami vs just having your name put on will call.

Probably, they were giving printed tickets for FYF and they were ticketfly. I would guess the same goes with the change.

JorgeC
06-25-2012, 03:38 PM
FYI, got a tweet back from the venue. If anyone was going to a show there and you already have a ticketweb (purple) ticket in hand, it will still scan and be accepted at the venue. Wish i knew about the change before I bought my Niki and Dove ticket, would have saved a couple of bucks on fees.

fatbastard
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
latimes.com
A music reviewer's fixes for the Forum
By August Brown

12:02 PM PDT, June 26, 2012

The news that Madison Square Garden's parent corporation is buying and renovating the Forum in Inglewood should prompt cheers from L.A. music fans. Those who have been around a while remember it as the marquee concert venue in the area for much of rock and roll's heyday, hosting concerts from the big names of the '70s, '80s and '90s -- Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac and the Rolling Stones, among them. Downtown venues such as Staples Center and the L.A. Live complex have stolen much of the venue's musical thunder in recent years, but this investment is a watershed in the venue's history and a major transition back into the local spotlight.

We'll leave the job of assessing future architectural and structural upgrades to more qualified voices around here. But from the standpoint of a fan who goes to see live music at least three nights a week, here are a few preliminary suggestions for fixes at the new Forum.

1. Longer alcohol sale times.

Maybe we tipped our hand starting with this one. But whether its permitting issues or temperance regarding alcohol by the former owner, Inglewood's nearby Faithful Central Bible Church, every time I've been to the Forum it's been impossible to buy a beer after the opening act, and that's just incompatible with running a concert business -- both fiscally and for fan-enjoyment purposes. We can get through a concert review without booze, we promise. But its absence only makes it more conspicuous. And sometimes, when your Guns 'N Roses set just entered its third hour, a beer is truly more of a need than a want.

2. Public transit access.

Say what you will about the LED assault of L.A. Live -- at least the place is easy to get to on a variety of Metro systems. Not so the Forum, and that's a major obstacle for non-Westsiders and those dipping toes into a less car-dependent L.A. culture. Obviously, a dedicated rail stop is an impossibility, but perhaps MSG could use its clout (and the promise of a massive economic injection into Inglewood) to at least increase bus service on big concert nights. Maybe lobby for a nonstop transfer from the new Expo line a couple hours before and after showtime? If the first suggestion on this list goes through, any car-free options will be extra appreciated.

3. Own rock and roll.

Even without any publicly stated booking philosophy, the Forum has carved a niche as the place for marquee shows from high-charting rock bands -- Green Day, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden et al have all done well there recently. MSG should take note -- Staples has the pop sphere; the Hollywood Bowl is its own programming animal. There's a legacy and an opportunity for the Forum to set itself apart in making big venues safe for guitars again.

4. Keep the structural integrity for the 99%.

Yes, luxury boxes are the venue equivalent of the business-class cabin on an airplane -- it's where the real money is. But there's an egalitarian charm to the Forum where every sightline is decent, and if it's possible to describe an arena as "intimate," you could do so here. None of L.A.'s big sports teams are moving back, and for music fans used to the sensory leviathan of the AEG arenas, the Forum's antiquated design actually helps keep the focus on the music and every fan feeling like they're in on the action.

5. Follow Prince's lead.

This is good advice for anyone in all conceivable life situations. But the Purple One's 21-night run at the Forum last year might have set an interesting new model for habituating fans to think of the venue again. Residencies have become a staple for club-sized L.A. venues. Why not for arenas too? What if, say, the Forum could get a week of Green Day playing all three of its proposed new albums and some '90s classics? Foo Fighters curating a run with some of its big influences, such as Bob Mould and younger acolytes such as Cage the Elephant? The Forum's schedule is wide open, and some unconventional big event bookings could steer the spotlight back to Inglewood.

bmack86
06-26-2012, 03:16 PM
I like those suggestions, but one thing they ignore in regards to number 5 is that Prince made his 21 night stand possible by making tickets so affordable, which can only happen when it's someone like him who has the money to throw around.

tmac
06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Live Nation purchases HARD http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/live-nation-acquires-electronic-music-promoter/

fatbastard
06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
latimes.com
Forum owners plan to revive venue with $50-million renovation
They intend to challenge Staples Center and other big arenas in the L.A. region by turning the faded Inglewood facility into a 'world-class' concert hall.
By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times

June 26, 2012

In its glory days, the Forum was Southern California's preeminent entertainment venue, a behemoth with Roman columns where adoring fans came to see the likes of Wilt Chamberlain, Wayne Gretzky and Bob Dylan.

But the famous round building fell on hard times. The Los Angeles Lakers and Kings moved downtown. Other venues in up-and-coming neighborhoods came along to nab the concert business. And, in the end, the Forum was bought by the Faithful Central Bible Church and all but forgotten.

Now, the owners of Madison Square Garden have come to the rescue with an ambitious plan to turn the faded Forum into a juggernaut. The East Coasters are looking to challenge the region's big arenas, including Staples Center and its owner, the politically connected AEG.

GRAPHIC: New owners vow to revitalize the Forum

MSG, as the company is known, has paid $23.5 million for the Forum and will start work this year on a $50-million renovation. Details are to be released in the fall, but the makeover is intended to turn the Forum into a top-flight concert hall and will take at least a year, President Hank Ratner said.

"The addition of the Forum is a perfect complement to the Madison Square Garden arena — it now allows us to have world-class venues in both New York and Los Angeles, linking the top two entertainment markets in the country," he said.

A revitalized Forum would provide an economic lift to its Inglewood neighborhood. But it faces entrenched competition from the region's other entertainment hot spots amid a challenging climate in the concert business.

The owners of Staples Center said they don't fear a rivalry with the East Coast impresarios. They were quick to raise questions about the security of the neighborhood surrounding the Forum and dismissed it as a "class B" venue.

"We are very certain of our customer experience, their safety and the vibrancy of our campus," said Tim Leiweke, president of Los Angeles-based AEG. "We are going to vigorously protect our own town."

MSG brings a New York swagger to the task of reigniting the Forum. At Madison Square Garden, which MSG calls "The World's Most Famous Arena," the company is in the midst of a $1-billion upgrade, Ratner said.

The company earlier renovated New York's 83-year-old Beacon Theatre and famed Radio City Music Hall. It also owns the venerable Chicago Theatre and is the booker for the historic Wang Theatre in Boston.

"We will bring the same attention to detail to our renovation of the Forum, resulting in a world-class venue that will be the place for music in Los Angeles," said Ratner, whose company has worked since late 2010 to wrap up the Forum deal, delayed by the intricacies of aligning business and political interests.

Leaders of Faithful Central Bible Church had hoped to use the Forum for its services and to build a family entertainment center that would generate jobs, but the operation became a financial albatross. Senior pastor Kenneth C. Ulmer said MSG had assured the church about "having a positive impact on our community."

A Forum comeback would be a financial and psychological boost for Inglewood, which suffered when its pro sports teams moved out in 1999, Mayor James T. Butts said.

"When the Kings and Lakers departed for Staples, it was a crushing economic blow and a big blow to community pride," he said. The city lost annual income of $800,000 from property, ticket and other taxes, along with the money that Forum visitors spent with local merchants.

MSG has guaranteed Inglewood that it will receive a minimum of $675,000 in ticket, parking and concession taxes annually from the Forum, a number based on the sale of 300,000 tickets. If sales fall below that number, MSG must pay Inglewood the difference.
For its part, Inglewood will give MSG an $18-million commercial rehabilitation loan — with strings attached. If MSG doesn't spend the promised $50 million on Forum improvements, it won't get the $18 million.

News of the Forum's return has boosted long-shelved plans by another developer for a $2-billion real estate project that would replace the nearby Hollywood Park racetrack with a large planned community, Butts said.

Work on that project, called Hollywood Park Tomorrow, will begin early next year, he said. The community is to include 3,000 residential units, stores, theaters, restaurants, a hotel and a casino.

MSG's investment comes at a challenging time in the concert business, said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the industry-tracking publication Pollstar.

"Anecdotally, it appears the overall volume of shows is down from last year," he said. "Everybody is trying to be a little more conservative."

One advantage Bongiovanni sees for the Forum against its downtown L.A. competitor is that Staples Center has many nights committed to professional basketball and hockey.

"Staples has so many sports tenants that it's very difficult to get in there and have a concert," he said.

AEG's Leiweke said Staples is booked for up to 250 events a year, most of them athletic contests. It hosts up to 40 concerts a year and promotes about half of them through its live entertainment division.

"If we go from doing 250 to 240 events a year we'll be just fine," he said.

Even after the planned Forum upgrades, Leiweke said, "it's not about competing with us, it's about competing with other B venues in town," such as the Hollywood Bowl, the Long Beach Arena and the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

But the Forum has its charms, said Jim Guerinot, who manages musical acts including Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, the Offspring and Nine Inch Nails.

"The Forum was built at a time pre-luxury box, so it's positively cozy compared to most major arenas these days," Guerinot said. Its wide-open calendar will also make it attractive to those in the music business.

"You need to find a place that's available," he said, "and the Forum is a major arena in the No. 2 market in the country."

The Forum has history in its favor, said David Brooks, managing editor at industry trade publication Venues Today.

Many of the top performers from the 1960s to the 1990s played at the Forum, including the Rolling Stones, the Jackson Five, Madonna, Van Halen, the Foo Fighters and Coldplay.

"When some of today's artists were kids they would go see concerts at the Forum, the marquee venue in Los Angeles County," Brooks said. "It's an aspirational mood that they would want to come back. The Forum's got rock 'n' roll spirit."

roger.vincent@latimes.com

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

suprefan
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Lets add this in here also. Now HARD has coporate backing, time for them to go down the shitter even more. I call bullshit on the bolded part.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/live-nation-acquires-electronic-music-promoter/

Big money is flowing into electronic dance music. In the latest example of corporate interest in this once-ignored market, Live Nation Entertainment said on Tuesday that it had acquired Hard Events, a Los Angeles company that has put on popular festivals and concerts across North America.

Yet such investments are fueling fears that a bubble is taking hold in the world of electronic dance music, or E.D.M., jeopardizing the creative and commercial health of the music. The issue has been intensely debated inside the music business, and recently some of the genre’s stars have sounded alarms as well.

“E.D.M. has turned into a massively marketed cruise ship, and it’s sinking fast,” the D.J. and producer Deadmau5 wrote on his Tumblr page on Tuesday. “All I’m trying to do is put on my life jacket and swim as far away from this shipwreck as fast as I can.”

The stakes are high for dance music. So far this year Live Nation has also bought Cream Holdings, a major British dance promoter, and the media mogul Robert F.X. Sillerman has begun what he says will be $1 billion in acquisitions. Young and relatively untested D.J.’s like Avicii have had mixed success playing in amphitheaters and arenas this summer, leading some industry leaders to say they are preparing for a “market correction.”

For many of the independent promoters who have dominated the dance market over the last two decades, Wall Street investment could provide a welcome cushion in a risky business, and fuel expansion in to new markets. But they also worry that corporate involvement will damage the culture of E.D.M.

In an interview earlier this year with The New York Times, Gary Richards, the veteran promoter and D.J. who founded Hard Events, was one of those people voicing concern, saying, “You can’t just franchise this like McDonald’s.” On Tuesday, he defended his decision to sell to Live Nation, saying that the deal would help him expand Hard, while maintaining its character.

“I’m always going to fight the good fight,” Mr. Richards said. “The reason I’m different from other festivals is that I bring the new thing, develop it and bring it to the masses. This will only be able to help, because now instead of just L.A. and New York, I will be able to do this in South Africa, South America. It’s only a good thing.”

Financial terms of Hard’s deal with Live Nation were not disclosed. In interviews, Mr. Richards and Michael Rapino, the president of Live Nation, both said it would expand into new markets, although they indicated that nothing was imminent; Hard’s major festival, Hard Summer, will be held in Los Angeles on Aug. 3 and 4, with Skrillex, Chromeo, Squarepusher, James Murphy and dozens of others.

Live Nation has taken steps to establish itself as a credible force in electronic music. When it bought Cream Holdings, it made the company’s respected founder, James Barton, president of Live Nation’s electronic division. Mr. Barton said he had the confidence of Mr. Rapino to build stable dance properties.

“Are we going to be put under tremendous pressure to change?” Mr. Barton said in an interview. “No, not frankly. I don’t see that today, and I’m not seeing that in the future.”

Others in the business worry that the integrity of the festivals, which have developed an idiosyncratic culture since the music first became popular in the 1980s, would be compromised under corporate control. Neil Moffitt, the chief executive of Angel Management Group, a live entertainment company in Las Vegas, was critical of Live Nation’s stewardship of major dance music events, citing a joint venture deal in 2006 for the British festival Global Gathering, which he said quickly deteriorated.

Mr. Moffitt said he was concerned about the long-term intentions of investors like Mr. Sillerman, who in the 1990s combined regional rock promoters into a national entity, and sold it to Clear Channel Communications for $4.4 billion. (Clear Channel later spun it off as Live Nation, which since going public in 2005 has never turned an annual profit.)

“If their objective is to create a second generation of electronic music, where they’re well-funded and have great infrastructure, and the music has a great future, then I’m all for it,” he said. “But if the intent is to sweep up an untapped part of the music industry, take it to the stock market, and everybody cashes out and watches it dissipate, that would be very disappointing.”

Mr. Rapino said that while large-scale E.D.M. events have long been popular in Europe, they are relatively new in the United States, and therefore few promoters had long experience with them.

“It’s not like anyone’s been doing this for a long time,” Mr. Rapino said. “No one has a historic ownership of the space. This is a fragmented marketplace, and we believe that if we can hire credible players that have been in this space, doing what they do best, that we’ll be able to build a smart division.”

Yet promoters like Mr. Richards are part of a generation of independent operators who have been at it for as long as 20 years, and lived through more than one music industry hype cycle in which electronic music seemed on the verge of a mainstream breakthrough, only to retreat into subcultural status.

“The music business is always like this,” Mr. Richards said. “Some genre comes along, and there’s all this attention on it all of a sudden, and then when you look at it you say, who were the pioneers of that genre? And those are one ones that always last.”

fatbastard
06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
The original article.

June 11, 2012
The New Stars in Vegas: D.J.’s and Dance Music
By BEN SISARIO
LAS VEGAS — Steve Wynn, the 70-year-old casino magnate, stood before an invitation-only crowd at the opening of a Japanese restaurant here last week, promising good food and even better music.

“Tonight we’re very lucky,” Mr. Wynn said, flashing his trademark grin. “Afrojack is here.”

He started to explain — “for those of you who are not exactly with it, like me, Afrojack is the coolest D.J.”— but it was unnecessary, as a phalanx of models in little black dresses rushed to a corner booth to watch the music man at work. Only the arrival of Paris Hilton drew them away.

After years on the margins, the blaring, pulsating sound of electronic dance music is ascendant, and Las Vegas has embraced the trend the only way it knows how: by going all in. Casino nightclubs that a few years ago were devoted to hip-hop now compete to sign dance acts to million-dollar contracts, and they market these once invisible musicians as superstars. Along the Las Vegas Strip, billboards advertise top D.J.’s like Tiësto and Steve Aoki, alongside David Copperfield and Cirque du Soleil.

“Las Vegas is the new Ibiza,” said Patrick Moxey, the founder of Ultra Records, a leading independent dance label, referring to the hedonistic dance mecca in Spain. Ultra recently started a joint record label with Wynn’s clubs that will make compilation albums and push the music to hotel guests.

Over the weekend the city was also host to the Electric Daisy Carnival, the largest festival of electronic dance music, or E.D.M., in North America. From Friday to Sunday, more than 300,000 fans — recognizable by their butterfly wings and Day-Glo tutus — descended on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway to see Avicii, Calvin Harris, David Guetta and dozens of other acts.

At the same time, artists and music executives gathered for the related EDMbiz conference here last week, debating whether the city can be a test case for the wider appeal of a genre that in the past has stumbled on its way from subculture to mainstream. They also questioned the long-term commitment of a city known for chasing the winds of pop culture.

“Vegas is a reflection of what’s hot, not the driver of what’s to come,” said Marc Geiger, the head of music at the agency WME.

As musicians and promoters tell it, D.J.’s have always been part of Las Vegas night life, but only in the past few years have they earned headline billing and been allowed to play anything more adventurous than Top 40 hits and crowd-pleasing mash-ups.

“I used to consider Las Vegas the most musically ignorant place in the world,” said Mr. Aoki, who spins monthly at Wynn’s Surrender and XS clubs, and is known for antics like leaping onto an inflatable raft in the crowd. “Now it’s completely flipped,” he continued. “People coming into the clubs, they have been educated. They’re aware of the music of that D.J. before they step into the club.”

A turning point came last year when XS celebrated its second anniversary with Deadmau5, who performs in vaudevillian headgear. Held on a Monday night, which usually draws about 3,000 people, the event had 7,500 attendees — “Saturday night numbers,” said Jesse Waits, the club’s managing partner. Mr. Wynn, intrigued, invited Deadmau5 to his villa, and the two became friends.

Loud music to keep people of any nationality dancing all night would seem a perfect fit for a party capital like Las Vegas. But promoters like Jonathan Shecter, the director of original programming at Wynn’s clubs, say it took the combination of several factors for the sound to take hold.

“There’s been a convergence happening,” Mr. Shecter said. “Between the organic growth of E.D.M., the importance of live shows as a way for artists to make money and connect with the public, and the rise of Las Vegas as a nightclub culture — all those things are happening at the same time.”

The city’s huge “superclubs,” most of them attached to casinos along the Strip, are now banking almost entirely on dance music.

According to Nightclub & Bar, a trade publication, 8 of the Top 10 nightclubs in the country are in Las Vegas, with Marquee leading the list, at $70 million to $80 million in annual revenue. That 60,000-square-foot club put in a $3 million sound system and added a D.J. booth that becomes a “drawbridge” over the crowd, said Jason Strauss, a partner in the TAO Group, which manages the club.

Wynn’s four nightclubs have signed 34 D.J.’s to exclusive residencies, and the hotel’s deal with Ultra will involve online video from the clubs, albums released under the name Ultra/Wynn, and even a hotel TV channel. Throughout its casino, Wynn promotes Ultra acts on stanchions and sells Deadmau5 merchandise like T-shirts, CDs and “mau5 ears.”

Last week dance music seemed to be everywhere in Las Vegas. With Electric Daisy Carnival in town, the nightclubs had packed lineups both late at night and at their daytime pool parties, which allow promoters to keep shows going almost any time of day.

The influx to Electric Daisy in its second year here snarled city traffic. On Friday night the 15-mile trip to the speedway took up to three hours, leading to the surreal scene of ravers leaving their vehicles and walking along the dark desert highway in full costume. Heavy winds shut down the festival early on Saturday, but otherwise it seems to have gone on without major incident.

For the music industry, the value of the Vegas E.D.M. explosion is unclear. It has introduced a valuable promotional outlet, and the casinos’ marketing dollars have helped turn faceless D.J.’s into stars who are mobbed for photos at the airport and in hotel lobbies.

“While it’s harder to pinpoint a record breaking out of Las Vegas, what you can count on is an incredible amount of audience exposure there,” said Craig Kallman, the chairman of Atlantic Records. “It’s become a very key promotional destination for new music.”

At the EDMbiz conference, executives discussed the effect of the changes, including escalating artist fees, the dangers of hype and corporate involvement in a historically independent enterprise, like the media executive Robert F. X. Sillerman’s recent announcement of a plan to spend $1 billion on dance companies.
Mr. Geiger of WME, who was a founder of the Lollapalooza tour in the early 1990s, compared dance music’s current moment to the sudden popularity of alternative music at that time. He also warned agents to protect their acts from a bursting bubble or, worse, a repeat of the ’90s, when record labels tried to duplicate the appeal of Nirvana and Pearl Jam with a flood of inferior acts.

“In our business we are planning for what we might call a market correction,” Mr. Geiger said in an interview before the conference. “Not a crash, but a correction. It’s hard for any wave, no matter what it is, to sustain at its high point.”

There is also an inherent danger in one of Las Vegas’s defining characteristics: its fickleness and adaptability to trends. As some executives at EDMbiz noted, if Las Vegas is dance music’s strongest promotional platform, what happens to the genre if the tourist crowds start to crave something else?

As Sean Christie, the managing partner of both Surrender and Encore Beach Club, noted in an interview at a restaurant a stone’s throw from the gambling floor and his clubs, that is always a possibility, but for now the dance beat rules.

“If the crowd wanted country music, country music I would give them,” Mr. Christie said. “But the crowd wants this music now, so this is what we give them.”

Mugwog
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Everyone write to casino owners and demand we want 90s country pop music or we are going to Reno.