PDA

View Full Version : is their catalog even deep enough to have them headline?

obzen
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
i never really took this into consideration until now-
but im assuming mainstage headliners have a set duration of anywhere between 1hr 45 hin. and 3hrs. and i while im not into the killers and never kept tabs on them,im wondering if they even have enough songs in their catalog to have at least a 2hr. set?

shakermaker113
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
they have 3 albums and a b-side cd. that's plenty.

obzen
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
hey shake,do you like the killers?

cooperb1
02-03-2009, 12:22 AM
yes they have plenty but dont like them at all

DFrank
02-03-2009, 01:03 AM
...a 2-3 hour set? Is that how long most mainstage acts are? I can't tell in the midst of the madness.

Amneeziac
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
more than enough.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
...a 2-3 hour set? Is that how long most mainstage acts are? I can't tell in the midst of the madness.

Headliner sets are usually in the 90 minute range.

beavington
02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
i never really took this into consideration until now-
but im assuming mainstage headliners have a set duration of anywhere between 1hr 45 hin. and 3hrs. and i while im not into the killers and never kept tabs on them,im wondering if they even have enough songs in their catalog to have at least a 2hr. set?

i think coldplay had only three albums of material and they headlined.

braundiggity
02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
i think coldplay had only three albums of material and they headlined.

You beat me to it. Also, the Killers will only have 1.5 hours. Until last year, nobody had more than that. Then Roger Waters got 2.5 and Prince wound up with about 2. I'd expect Paul Macca to have 2.5, The Cure to have 2, and The Killers to have 1.5

M Sparks
02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Headliner sets are usually in the 90 minute range.

Sometimes more like 75.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
They headlined festivals in Europe with just 2 albums under their belt...but then again...KOL and Katy Perry are headliners in Europe too....

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
That is really puzzling why they headline festivals there

shakermaker113
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
not as puzzling as why kings of leon headline festivals there. fuck.

Jon Blazed
02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
they'll have two in the pink and one in the stink

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
not as puzzling as why kings of leon headline festivals there. fuck.

straight fucking truth.

I don't think they suck it's just more like what the fuck are they doing headlining?

ZackQ
02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Rage Against the Machine has three albums and a set of covers, and they headline all kinds of shit.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
because they are a fucking amazing band whom the killers will never be get within light years of

everyone knows that

obzen
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Rage Against the Machine has three albums and a set of covers, and they headline all kinds of shit.

Rage Against the Machine was truly world beating,so much so that theyve had singles since their first LP-

the only exception i make is JJ-i have nothing personal against the guy but i didnt know what GV was thinking

but back to these other fellas(killers)

im wondering if there is enough recognition of their songs in general/how long have they been exposed through shit like kroq-its silly shit,but i just dont listen to the radio these days

betao
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Prince didn't get 2 hours. He got 75 minutes. He played for 2 hours because he's prince.

JJ and Prince both got 75 minutes. Depending on who else gets added to Saturday, I don't see the Killers getting more than that.

The Cure and Paul M will probably get around 90 minutes.

AlecEiffel
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
im wondering if there is enough recognition of their songs in general/how long have they been exposed through shit like kroq-its silly shit,but i just dont listen to the radio these days

Anyone who's spent any time with modern rock radio the past few years for sure knows somebody told me, mr brightside, smile like you mean it, when you were young, read my mind, shadowplay and human. There is also a good chance they know all these things I've done, bones, jenny was a friend, for reasons unknown and they'll know spaceman by the time coachella rolls around.

beavington
02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Prince didn't get 2 hours. He got 75 minutes. He played for 2 hours because he's prince.

JJ and Prince both got 75 minutes. Depending on who else gets added to Saturday, I don't see the Killers getting more than that.

The Cure and Paul M will probably get around 90 minutes.

they didnt give prince only 75 minutes.
they didnt put an end time, knowing full well that he wasnt goign to end at Midnight. I am sure he was always going to end at 1am.

betao
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
they didnt give prince only 75 minutes.
they didnt put an end time, knowing full well that he wasnt goign to end at Midnight. I am sure he was always going to end at 1am.

Well then after looking at schedules, Fatboy, A&B, and Justice didnt get an end time. Does that mean they were allowed to keep going too? On the FAQ, it says 12-12, so that implies it is scheduled to end at 12. Does it really matter that much if it doesn't say that on the set times?

beavington
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Well then after looking at schedules, Fatboy, A&B, and Justice didnt get an end time. Does that mean they were allowed to keep going too? On the FAQ, it says 12-12, so that implies it is scheduled to end at 12. Does it really matter that much if it doesn't say that on the set times?

if i remember correctly fatboy didnt end until about 1am.

and i am just saying that i am sure they purposely didnt put an end time, since for jack johnson they did put an end time.
and with that said, i am sure er maybe assume, from the time they printed the schedules, they didnt really intend to make prince stop but they arent going to put that on the schedule.

no need to get so huffy.

ZackQ
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
because they are a fucking amazing band whom the killers will never be get within light years of

everyone knows that

Agreed, Rage is one of my favorite bands of all time. I'm just making the point that three albums and some tracks here and there is enough to carry an hour and a half set no problem.

braundiggity
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Kings of Leon, The Killers, et al headline in Europe because they're just more popular there. In Britain, people still buy albums. I think the Arctic Monkeys' second album there sold something like 400,000 in its first week. Their debut sold 350,000 in its first week. That would be incomprehensible in the states.

Favourite Worst Nightmare sold 85,000 its first day, whereas it only sold 44,000 in its first week in the states. And every one of the 12 tracks on that album made the UK Top 200 Singles chart.

I'd assume Kings of Leon, The Killers, and similar bands have the same kind of difference in sales. Rock music is simply more popular there. And that's why these bands headline, personal opinion of them aside.

tigermilkboy
02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Kings of Leon, The Killers, et al headline in Europe because they're just more popular there. In Britain, people still buy albums. I think the Arctic Monkeys' second album there sold something like 400,000 in its first week. Their debut sold 350,000 in its first week. That would be incomprehensible in the states.

Favourite Worst Nightmare sold 85,000 its first day, whereas it only sold 44,000 in its first week in the states. And every one of the 12 tracks on that album made the UK Top 200 Singles chart.

I'd assume Kings of Leon, The Killers, and similar bands have the same kind of difference in sales. Rock music is simply more popular there. And that's why these bands headline, personal opinion of them aside.

Very true! The Killers have sold more albums in the UK than anywhere else. In fact 'Hot Fuss' shifted more units in the UK than all 4 albums in the USA.
The Killers headlined the Leeds/Reading Festival and were paid over $7 million. They have also headlined to 135,000 people at Glastonbury. The Killers tour sold-out instantly in the UK.

It is just a fact that most rock/indie/dance bands can earn more in UK and Europe than playing Coachella or US festivals. In Europe there is a June-August period of festivals in most countries, so a good band can hop from festival to festival and earn more money. In the UK alone their is Glastonbury, Isle of Wight, T in the Park, Brighton, Leeds/Reading, V Festival, Donnington and many others. Remember the UK is about 5 five times smaller than Texas, so the costs of touring in Europe are much smaller.
Consequently the bigger festivals in size are mostly in Europe. Coachella is relatively small in size at 50,000 people. Glastonbury has already sold out 135,000 tickets 16 weeks in advance. T in Park sells out 60,000 a year in advance.

Also it is a matter of taste. Long-time established bands like 'The Cure' are reverred in the US. The last time I saw them play a UK festival, they were mid-afternoon Main Stage act, way below the Headliners. UK/Euro Festivals are dominated by contemporary bands-right now the hottest headliners in the UK are Radiohead, Coldplay, Kings Of Leon, The Killers.

beavington
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
The Killers headlined the Leeds/Reading Festival and were paid over $7 million.

thats a shitload of money to headline a festival. Most bands dont get anywhere near that for a regular headlining gig.

tigermilkboy
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
thats a shitload of money to headline a festival. Most bands dont get anywhere near that for a regular headlining gig.

When I worked for Mean Fiddler-who organise Leeds/Reading. We managed to get Guns N Roses headline Leeds Festival for one night. We paid them some $8.5 million for one night! We sold 70,000 tickets at about $100 and with huge sponsorship and internal revenue it paid off!
We also had The Prodigy, The Offspring, The White Stripes, Weezer, Janes Addiction, Pulp, The Strokes, Aphex Twin, The Foo Fighters, Muse, Spiritualized, Death Cab For Cutie all play that year it was an awesome line-up.
Rock/Indie music is far more mainstream in the UK. You consider the fuss made that Prince got $5million last year for Coachella, he could have doubled that for Leeds/Reading.

beavington
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
When I worked for Mean Fiddler-who organise Leeds/Reading. We managed to get Guns N Roses headline Leeds Festival for one night. We paid them some $8.5 million for one night! We sold 70,000 tickets at about $100 and with huge sponsorship and internal revenue it paid off!
We also had The Prodigy, The Offspring, The White Stripes, Weezer, Janes Addiction, Pulp, The Strokes, Aphex Twin, The Foo Fighters, Muse, Spiritualized, Death Cab For Cutie all play that year it was an awesome line-up.
Rock/Indie music is far more mainstream in the UK. You consider the fuss made that Prince got $5million last year for Coachella, he could have doubled that for Leeds/Reading.

its funny how much europe pays off, and every band from europe always hopes they can acheive success in america.

prognition
02-03-2009, 04:06 PM

murmur741
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Coldplay headlined Saturday night in '05 and they had only been an active band for five years with three albums under their belt as well.

tigermilkboy
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
its funny how much europe pays off, and every band from europe always hopes they can acheive success in america.

No the record label wants the band to break America, not necessarily vice versa. Obviously, a major US tour involves over 30 plus dates. You can do about 6-10 in the UK at the most.
Sponorship/Advertisemnet revenue for bands is a lot less. But do you think Pulp, Oasis, blur etc really care they never broke the US in a major way? I think Noel Gallager said 'I don't give a fuck'.
In the meantime stop getting all defensive, the US is great enough but it is not the center of the universe. My point is merely that it is a big world, lots of festivals and that Coachella-my local festival, isn't necessarily the greatest/biggest in the world.

obzen
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Prince did plat til 1am-its fuckin Prince,GV would be crazy to spend millions for just 75min.

obzen
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

US and UK currency is not congruent

RageAgainst
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
exactly so 8.5 million for the shitty band guns n roses in europe equals out to about 4.3 million here eww axl rose

obzen
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
i wonder how Coachellas overall ticket sales are going so far...

beavington
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
US and UK currency is not congruent

it still adds up to more than most bands would ever get paid here to play. especially a festival. I dont think Tool, Bjork, RHCP, Coldplay, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Nine Inch Nails get that much money per gig. I think in Pesos it still might be more...well maybe not. but yeah.

obzen
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
the killers are big in Europe-thats understood,is it a stretch to presume that their reception here will be comparable?

KungFuJay
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm seeing the Killers tonight. I will tell you how long they play.

obzen
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm seeing the Killers tonight. I will tell you how long they play.

post it here!

KungFuJay
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
post it here!

Consider it done. My girlfriend is so excited. She has a countdown running on her gtalk status bar. :/

AlecEiffel
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I saw them at a radio festival last month, they played between an hour and an hour and fifteen minutes and it was the perfect length for them.

obzen
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Consider it done. My girlfriend is so excited. She has a countdown running on her gtalk status bar. :/
HA-cool.
i figured you were going w/a lady friend-given you attended Metal Masters!

KungFuJay
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
HA-cool.
i figured you were going w/a lady friend-given you attended Metal Masters!

Yeah. Shocking news: she did not attend Metal Masters with me. :) I actually really really liked the Killers' first album but I've thought that the past two have left some to be desired. Doubtful that I would have gone to this show without her.

obzen
02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
see,thats the thing-i suppose i missed the killers train,granted im not in any rush to be privy to their hooks/songs etc.-im still willing to see what their all about,i guess its the music lover in me-what year was that debut?

KungFuJay
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
see,thats the thing-i suppose i missed the killers train,granted im not in any rush to be privy to their hooks/songs etc.-im still willing to see what their all about,i guess its the music lover in me-what year was that debut?

Summer 2004. I think the first 5 songs were all singles (or at least could have been). Non-stop hooks. The 2nd half of the album initially couldn't keep up with the first half but it really grew on me, esp. "On Top." Hell, even the b-sides from the album were great (esp. "Under the Gun" and "Show You How").

beavington
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM

an actual music lover on here? And not someone collecting cool points? Awesome.

obzen
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
And not someone collecting cool points?

your condescension is duly-noted.

obzen
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Summer 2004. I think the first 5 songs were all singles (or at least could have been). Non-stop hooks. The 2nd half of the album initially couldn't keep up with the first half but it really grew on me, esp. "On Top." Hell, even the b-sides from the album were great (esp. "Under the Gun" and "Show You How").

i know for sure i wasnt listening to any kroq in 04 so wouldnt know-i also realize that 'singles' in different major cities dont always share the same play-time(demographics)
but with that said-if the first five songs of the killers debut were indeed single-esque or even remarkable that would constitute a 'hit record' a la Rage Aaginst the Machine

anti-square
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Are YOU deep enough?

obzen
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
i gotta couple of things that run deep.

beavington
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
your condescension is duly-noted.

that wasnt directed towards you, just most others on here.

obzen
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
that wasnt directed towards you, just most others on here.

yeah,i thought cool points were gained by coming outta nowhere and cutting someone down,that type of shit

(no sarcasm)

beavington
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
yeah,i thought cool points were gained by coming outta nowhere and cutting someone down,that type of shit

(no sarcasm)

or maybe its how many stupid FAIL psts you can make. oh how the lines of cool are so blurry.

obzen
02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
that shit is played out

unless some lame is hurting for it

obzen
02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
awaiting Kung Fus analysis...

KungFuJay
02-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh sorry. Caught up with work this AM.

Nokia Theatre
Grand Prairie, TX
February 4, 2009

On at 9:18 PM

1. Spaceman
2. Losing Touch
3. Somebody Told Me
4. Smile Like You Mean It
5. This Is Your Life
6. Joy Ride
7. I Can’t Stay
8. Bling (Confession of a King)
9. Shadowplay (Joy Division cover)
10. For Reasons Unknown
11. Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town (Kenny Rogers & The First Edition cover) (w/ Morgan Kibby from M83)
12. Neon Tiger
13. Human
14. Sam’s Town (Abbey Road Version)
15. Read My Mind
16. Mr. Brightside
17. All These Things That I’ve Done

Off at 10:32
On at 10:37

Encore:
18. A Dustland Fairytale
19. Bones
20. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
21. When You Were Young

We left when they started When You Were Young, as we knew this would be the last song and wanted to beat the traffic (it was awful coming in), but it's safe to say they were off by 11 (we were walking out at 10:52 or so and union gets overtime after 11 at that venue).

I'll write more later (still kinda busy here) but I was actually pretty impressed. The new album translates really well live and I was glad to hear 5 songs off of the first album. The non-Hot Fuss highlight of the night might have been the cover of "Shadowplay" though, which comes off better live than on the B-sides record they put out, esp. with the video running in the background.

Brandon did have one pretty hilarious snafu before "Sam's Town" though - when he sat down at the piano he was trying to BS and "connect" with the crowd and said "I had forgotten how great the voices sound in Grand Rapids. I mean Grand Pra..... FUCK! I mean, the Dallas area." Dumbass. He apologized several times and seemed genuinely embarrassed. It was pretty funny.

Side note: my girlfriend had a blast, natch. Immediately after the show, she said "when we get home, let's check their other tour dates to see where else we can see them." I reminded her that they were at Coachella. I hope that tided her over.

But seriously, it was a very enjoyable evening.

heyeric
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
More than enough songs, but not worth checking out the whole set. Hopefully the cross times between set's while the killers are playing works out nicely!

obzen
02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
thanx Kung Fu-this compells me to at least check out some of their set...

wow,i cant believe i said that