PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam on Saturday?

bludevil007
02-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Even though half the people on this board hate them, I think it would be a good way to mix up the headliners. I'll note a few things that make them a logical fit:

1. With the Cure and Paul Mac headlining, Pearl Jam would be a good, harder "rock" headliner to vary things up.

2. They are reissuing Ten in March, the beginning of a serial set of reissues leading up to their 20 year anniversary in 2011. Pearl Jam doing "Ten" in its entirety would be pretty cool.

3. They have been working on a new album since December with a tentative release of Summer 2009.

4. As everyone has heard, they were supposedly Paul's inspiration for doing Coachella in the first place.

5. Neil Young is conspicuously absent, and there is a mutual lovefest between the two acts - maybe both could be added.

6. The "tour" portion of their webpage is under construction.

7. So, I randomly emailed the official website today asking if PJ was the surprise headliner for Saturday - their response was "we're sorry, but we cannot confirm anything at this time". Doesnt that seem like a strange response?

woogie846
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I know Pearl Jam doesn't get a lot of love on these boards, but I'd be really happy with them headlining.

TheWatcher
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
7. So, I randomly emailed the official website today asking if PJ was the surprise headliner for Saturday - their response was "we're sorry, but we cannot confirm anything at this time". Doesnt that seem like a strange response?

Sounds like a typical form letter type response.

boarderwoozel3
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I know Pearl Jam doesn't get a lot of love on these boards, but I'd be really happy with them headlining.

Agreed. I'd be thrilled.

bludevil007
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a typical form letter type response.

im probably reading too much into it, i know. But it just seemed odd. The lineup's been announced - why not just say no.

MaXiMuS
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd definitely be down for that!

familyguy420
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
That would make a perfect Coachella '09

clumsy342
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Sign me up..

Amneeziac
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
No.

Gribbz
02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't mind.

whynotsmile99
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
that would be great

brycerosen
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
im in

flowbee
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
5. Neil Young is conspicuously absent, and there is a mutual lovefest between the two acts - maybe both could be added.

No just Neil, Thanks.

trancehiphop
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I would mind a little since I saw them at roo', I just don't see them headlining two major festivals in less than a year, but you never know. I am just hoping for someone else, since I already saw them but they are EPIC though

moomoo
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
HEEYYYYAAAAAA IMMMAAAA PEARLLLAAA JAMMMAAA HEADLINAAAAA YOOOOAAAAAA FESTIVALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

bludevil007
02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
HEEYYYYAAAAAA IMMMAAAA PEARLLLAAA JAMMMAAA HEADLINAAAAA YOOOOAAAAAA FESTIVALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

that's pretty fuckin funny.

boarderwoozel3
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM

I can't wait to find out who you listen to...

kreutz2112
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
A pj addition to sat would make this years coachella the greatest coachella in the history of coachella.

thedontlab
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Pearl Jam = Theory of a Nicklecreed

magmazing
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I'd welcome it, but I picture them headlining Sasquatch more than I do Coachella.

Sexecutioner
02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
A pj addition to sat would make this years coachella the greatest coachella in the history of coachella.

dont know about that, but it would definitely put it in contention. i have been waiting 10 years for Coachella to get PJ. that would be so amazing if they get added to sat!

i would normally say no chance on this, but that email response give me hope. like he somebody said, why wouldnt they just say no, unless there are talks going on? i am now going to pray to a god that i dont believe exists for this to happen.

walkunafraid
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I doubt it will happen, just because I somehow feel that it would have been hinted at somewhere (or someone would have found out something about this) over at the Pearl Jam message boards. They're a pretty obsessive and knowledgeable bunch over there.

However, I will say this. I'm not going to Coachella this year. Times are tough, and I simply can't afford it. However, if Pearl Jam is added, I will find a way to be there. And they will blow everyone's face off.

LoveBoatCaptain
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Pearl Jam shows are like a religious experience...if anyone has ever seen them you know what i'm talking about....even if you hate the band/or don't know any songs i still think you will find their shows pretty amazing....
before the lineup was even announced i thought Pearl Jam made way more sense to headline Sunday than the Cure.....

hancho09
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Pearl Jam doing Ten would be dream, we'll see

Gribbz
02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I admit I haven't heard a whole lot of Pearl Jam. I would fully support them at Coachella though.

roboticwaltz
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
It doesn't seem very likely, but the Pearl Jam/Neil Young combo would be incredible. Pearl Jam has such a ridiculous live show, it's perfect for Coachella.

humanoid
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM

PJ Harvey maybe!!!

just kidding, I think it would be great if Pearl Jam were there...I think a lot of people around here would be surprised at how good they are live

pewter14
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
A little walk down memory lane .... this was the last time they played the polo grounds ...

nd9iOpMSOns

I love when Eddie proclaims, "your dirt is my fuckin' food" .... if you listen, you can hear Mike McCready do a couple strains of "Black Diamond" by Kiss.

Which, I saw them do this year at MSG, with Ace Frehley ... (and Matt Cameron on vocals)

6ERfV7x2ctI

gooftroop
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Pearl Jam shows are like a religious experience...if anyone has ever seen them you know what i'm talking about....even if you hate the band/or don't know any songs i still think you will find their shows pretty amazing....
before the lineup was even announced i thought Pearl Jam made way more sense to headline Sunday than the Cure.....

Agreed, way better than the Cure. At least I enjoyed their live show way more, my favorite show of Bonnaroo last year.

thedontlab
02-02-2009, 11:57 PM
A little walk down memory lane .... this was the last time they played the polo grounds ...

nd9iOpMSOns

I love when Eddie proclaims, "your dirt is my fuckin' food" .... if you listen, you can hear Mike McCready do a couple strains of "Black Diamond" by Kiss.

Which, I saw them do this year at MSG, with Ace Frehley ... (and Matt Cameron on vocals)

6ERfV7x2ctI

I fucking love this! It's because of Pearl Jam that we have so many shitty down-sydrome-rock bands out there. Pearl Jam needs to stay the fuck away from Coachella.

SP The Ghost
02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Nickleback>Creed>Pearl Jam.

thedontlab
02-03-2009, 12:35 AM

amen

superfiction
02-03-2009, 01:29 AM
i would much rather see pearl jam on the polo fields than springsteen

dml26
02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Pearl Jam would be such a great add. I always wondered if they would fit in at Coachella. Either way, a fantastic band... especially live

L7slap
02-03-2009, 04:27 AM
pearl jam @ main stage OR ed vedder solo @ outdoor stage please...

bludevil007
02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
I fucking love this! It's because of Pearl Jam that we have so many shitty down-sydrome-rock bands out there. Pearl Jam needs to stay the fuck away from Coachella.

you need to stay the fuck away from me

LoveBoatCaptain
02-03-2009, 08:48 AM
you need to stay the fuck away from me

me too....WOW

KarmaLateralus
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Pearl Jam added on to this lineup would make this the best fucking Coachella.

Please be added on to Saturday.

F00FIGHTER20
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
i hate that i came in here and got my hopes up......

anyways... YES PLEASE!!!

Coachella Bound
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM

amen

I really hope you two are joking......

And if your not, well your words speak for themselves.

Pearl Jam would be the perfect fit for saturday night.

SP The Ghost
02-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I really hope you two are joking......

And if your not, well your words speak for themselves.

Pearl Jam would be the perfect fit for saturday night.

I meant Nickelback -> Creed -> Pearl Jam for saturday. My mistake.

gmoneyak
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Good original post, interesting points. I've never seen PJ so I wouldnt mind. Wasnt there a Soundgarden rumor floating around?

TBrown33
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
AFVlJAi3Cso

thedontlab
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Pearl Jam are just garbage. Generic greasy radio-rock. The Killers even are better than them and I fucking can't stand them. This would make Coachella a festival for dirtbags.

Gribbz
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
The Killers are NOT better than Pearl Jam.

bludevil007
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Pearl Jam are just garbage. Generic greasy radio-rock. The Killers even are better than them and I fucking can't stand them. This would make Coachella a festival for dirtbags.

have you even listened to a pearl jam album since ten? More importantly, were you even alive when it came out? Just because a band spawned (i admit) numerous wannabes doesnt mean that the inspiration wasnt worthy. The same can be said about zeppellin, the stones, u2, the beatles...you can say that about the pioneers of any genre. Claiming that the Killers are better than pearl jam or that pj is the equivalent of creed or nickelback just shows how uninformed and irrelevant your opinion is. Let me speak electronica for you - it's like me saying Steve Aoki is better than Daft Punk.

gooftroop
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Idiot.

F00FIGHTER20
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
well said... took the words right out of my mouth.... I'd say this person is under 22... just missed out on the early-mid 90's....

Pick up any of their released "bootleg" shows from the past 8 years...might not make you love them... hopefully you'll have some respect, at least.....

thedontlab
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
So what if they pioneered a genre of music, the genre they started is the reason most rock music is shit. Pearl Jam in my eyes simply destroyed rock music. To even compare them with the likes of Zeppelin is seriously a fucking travesty. No I am not under the age of 22, I happen to be much older and I witnessed the 90's scene, not a fan. I just can't stand the tone of Vedders voice I feel like I have to take a shower everytime I hear it, seriously greasy shit.

thedontlab
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
AFVlJAi3Cso

That's enough to make me want to puke. Just terrible vocals.

natelan
02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I won't get my hopes up, but I am in agreement that signing Pearl Jam to a Saturday would do a lot of good toward repairing what, at the moment looks like a horrible day of bands. TV on the Radio being the only saving grace.

natelan
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
So what if they pioneered a genre of music, the genre they started is the reason most rock music is shit. Pearl Jam in my eyes simply destroyed rock music. To even compare them with the likes of Zeppelin is seriously a fucking travesty. No I am not under the age of 22, I happen to be much older and I witnessed the 90's scene, not a fan. I just can't stand the tone of Vedders voice I feel like I have to take a shower everytime I hear it, seriously greasy shit.

For whatever it's worth, I must wholly disagree with you.

krk67
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Funny. Your profile says you're 19.

Again, just because other bands and record labels saw a hit and poorly tried to copy it does not make Pearl Jam bad.

Pearl Jam is a relevant headliner -- Goldenvoice promoted just about all of their early shows (and perhaps more, I don't keep a scorecard) in LA, the polo field show was one of the inspirations for Coachella, three members are from seminal Sub Pop bands, and -- believe it or not -- they are actually pretty good live. While I may not care for the uberjocky fans they attract or the bands that tried to copy them, I'm not going to fault Pearl Jam for it.

It's funny -- there are a handful of bands on this year's lineup who I feel only exist because Franz Ferdinand became popular, but I'm not going to write Franz Ferdinand (or Arcade Fire, or Bloc Party, or LCD Soundsystem) off because of it.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Even though half the people on this board hate them, I think it would be a good way to mix up the headliners. I'll note a few things that make them a logical fit:

1. With the Cure and Paul Mac headlining, Pearl Jam would be a good, harder "rock" headliner to vary things up.

2. They are reissuing Ten in March, the beginning of a serial set of reissues leading up to their 20 year anniversary in 2011. Pearl Jam doing "Ten" in its entirety would be pretty cool.

3. They have been working on a new album since December with a tentative release of Summer 2009.

4. As everyone has heard, they were supposedly Paul's inspiration for doing Coachella in the first place.

6. The "tour" portion of their webpage is under construction.

This would make more sense if The Killers weren't headlining.

moomoo
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I want Pearl Jam on saturday so we can throw shoes at the singer.

NY Excuse
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Im down as long as Daft Punk is in the Sahara at the same time!

Duvel
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Pearl Jam....Sat night.....YES, PLEASE!!!!

thedontlab
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I want Pearl Jam on saturday so we can throw shoes at the singer.

Fuck shoes I'm bringing water balloons filled with diahrea.

LoveBoatCaptain
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0oIcG75MQ

i tried posting this video on here...how do i do it??

LoveBoatCaptain
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Funny. Your profile says you're 19.

Again, just because other bands and record labels saw a hit and poorly tried to copy it does not make Pearl Jam bad.

Pearl Jam is a relevant headliner -- Goldenvoice promoted just about all of their early shows (and perhaps more, I don't keep a scorecard) in LA, the polo field show was one of the inspirations for Coachella, three members are from seminal Sub Pop bands, and -- believe it or not -- they are actually pretty good live. While I may not care for the uberjocky fans they attract or the bands that tried to copy them, I'm not going to fault Pearl Jam for it.

It's funny -- there are a handful of bands on this year's lineup who I feel only exist because Franz Ferdinand became popular, but I'm not going to write Franz Ferdinand (or Arcade Fire, or Bloc Party, or LCD Soundsystem) off because of it.

Thank you! i mean people don't have to love the band but if people are willing to read up on PJ and attend a live show i gaurantee they will respect the hell out of them...

krk67
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Fuck shoes I'm bringing water balloons filled with diahrea.

Ah. OK. You are 19.

BTW, you might want to go back to high school and learn how to spell if you are going to insist on proving how childish you are on message boards. At least then you won't sound quite so dumb.

familyguy420
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
have you even listened to a pearl jam album since ten? More importantly, were you even alive when it came out? Just because a band spawned (i admit) numerous wannabes doesnt mean that the inspiration wasnt worthy. The same can be said about zeppellin, the stones, u2, the beatles...you can say that about the pioneers of any genre. Claiming that the Killers are better than pearl jam or that pj is the equivalent of creed or nickelback just shows how uninformed and irrelevant your opinion is. Let me speak electronica for you - it's like me saying Steve Aoki is better than Daft Punk.

i agree
PJ is the best grunge band to come out of Seatle

Rockstarboy37
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
hell yeah for pearl jam. As long as most of their set includes songs from TEN