BrickTop24
01-31-2009, 03:13 PM
how's their live performance?

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
hopefully good

BrickTop24
01-31-2009, 03:15 PM
yeah ive been listenin to them alot recently so im lookin forward to their set.

SuperStar
01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm curious too... is it gonna be all electronic or will they have any kind of "band"? I have an extensive collection and LOVE their music, but I don't really know much about how it's created. Stoked to find out.

Aurgasm
01-31-2009, 03:23 PM
they should do like gotan did and bring a band

gmoneyak
01-31-2009, 03:24 PM
http://live.pollstar.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/pollstar/0811090523081008720_6135_v1.jpg

Full band, rotating singers.

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 03:24 PM
They are. It isn't a DJ set.

gmoneyak
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.photorequipod.com/Senior/Fall/Theivery_Corporation.jpg

The Landmo
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
they killed at vegoose in 07.

SuperStar
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.photorequipod.com/Senior/Fall/Theivery_Corporation.jpg

Holy Shneikies!

Fuck I can't wait to see that! I think it'll be the highlight of the whole festival.

Where was that taken? It almost looks like one of the tents at Coachella.

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm curious too... is it gonna be all electronic or will they have any kind of "band"? I have an extensive collection and LOVE their music, but I don't really know much about how it's created. Stoked to find out.

The band take their show on the road with an impressive 15 member live band for select dates in the U.S. and Europe this fall and will also hit the festival circuit in the spring and summer of '09

so i guess itll be a 15 member band haha damn

Aurgasm
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Thievery was one of the biggest surprises/delights of the lineup (for me)

gmoneyak
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Holy Shneikies! Fuck I can't wait to see that! I think it'll be the highlight of the whole festival. Where was that taken? It almost looks like one of the tents at Coachella.

I think it's Treasure Island in '07, that was a good fuckin' night.

deeznutz
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM
They have a great live show. I've seen them three times, with the first being the best (5 yrs ago) and each performance after that getting a little less to my liking. Over the years they've really gone in a more rasta direction when playing live. They used to utilize more female singers and played a more "worldly" mix. Still a great show, but I'm just a bit disappointed in the direction they have gone. I'm actually going to see them in Chicago later this month too.

If you haven't seen them, check them out.

EventHorizon
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Thievery C. grooves...very excited to see them.

also...Perry Farrell does a song with them called Revolution Solution. I wonder if he'll jump on stage for a quick one?

jaysocal
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I've seen them a few times (once back in 2006 at Bang Music Fest). They were fantastic! Same sort of style as Massive Attack...but, they have a lot more instruments. They are called Thievery Corp because they steal musical influences from all over the world. They are in my top 10 live shows.

Deviate_420
01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm psyched...

Stickjohn
01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm psyched now too. Good thread.

Snakeface
01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
The Outdoor Theater set I saw was excellent. I think they had just released "The Richest Man In Babylon". I would recommend seeing this, hopefully during sundown. I could almost compare their live set to Groove Armada's full band performance, but Thievery's band is bigger. Their newest album isn't their strongest in my opinion, but they have a lot of great music.

betao
01-31-2009, 04:11 PM
I saw Thievery do a live show in 2006 in DC, it was terrific. The energy that them and the live band bring is terrific. Hearing "Warning Shots" performed live was absolutely insane.

I remember they performed an acoustic version "Richest Man in Babylon", and then closed with "Marching The Hate Machines (into the sun)", which to this day is one of the best concert closers i've ever experienced.

As of now, they're the best live act Saturday has to offer. See them at all costs!

Hawkings
01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
...Over the years they've really gone in a more rasta direction when playing live. They used to utilize more female singers and played a more "worldly" mix. Still a great show, but I'm just a bit disappointed in the direction they have gone. I'm actually going to see them in Chicago later this month too.

If you haven't seen them, check them out.

I had the same experience when i saw them, less songs with female vocalists and more of the reggae sound

PrettyRagdoll
01-31-2009, 04:46 PM
They're really good live

CurableOkie
01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
This was one show I had to miss in 2008 because there was too much happening the same week.

My friends saw them in Dallas, and also at Rothbury, they were saying really good things. Great set list too. I'm very psyched to finally see them.

whynotsmile99
01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
sooooooooo much fun

it's not like their albums at all. I love their recorded stuff, but that's more chill out music. Live is a non stop party with dancers and many singers, i think a rapper or two, reggae songs, etc. it's a huge mix and its fantastic. I thought they upstaged the Flaming Lips when I saw them open for em at the Hollywood Bowl.

Don't miss it. Will be a highlight of Saturday for sure

LiKeBuTtAh !
01-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I saw them in San Francisco on New Years Eve.
Eclectic band and singers...they were definitely groovin' with them on the turntables with a live band and different singers.
Nothing like what I came to know them as...worldly, chill music. Chill, this was not!

I don't see them in Sahara though...probably main stage like Kraftwerk last year.

NicoDread
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Definitely a band I'm looking forward to.

voiceofthemasses
01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
I saw them in San Francisco on New Years Eve.
Eclectic band and singers...they were definitely groovin' with them on the turntables with a live band and different singers.
Nothing like what I came to know them as...worldly, chill music. Chill, this was not!

I don't see them in Sahara though...probably main stage like Kraftwerk last year.

they are more of an Outdoor stage kind of band, saw them in SF in 05, fuckin killed it

Smokenut
01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
PARKING LOT TENT:HEADLINE thievery

steve aoki (conducting parking)

dj am(chasing birds)

paul mc cartney(signing around a trash fire about his "beatle days when jesus was alive")

travis can be the valet guy(not the one who parks) but the one to "SIGNALS WITH A RED FLAG!(his drummer days are kicking in with all the hand motion)"

thievery corporation has cancelled due to their conflicting schedule in the CAMPGROUND TENT(when everyone is sleeping)

Astrid
01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
im really fucking excited for this. thievery corp was my biggest initial smile upon seeing the lineup.

iamsmokenut
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM

dj am(chasing birds)

paul mc cartney(signing around a trash fire about his "beatle days when jesus was alive")

travis can be the valet guy(not the one who parks) but the one to "SIGNALS WITH A RED FLAG!(his drummer days are kicking in with all the hand motion)"

thievery corporation has cancelled due to their conflicting schedule in the CAMPGROUND TENT(when everyone is sleeping)

I really need to shut the fuck up!

daftmonkey64
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
thievery corporation + lsd = yes

so fun and soooo psychedelic

just wait til they bust out the dude on sitar to play lebanese blonde. if they weren't on the bill i might not buy a ticket honestly, totally sold me.

Aurgasm
01-31-2009, 11:27 PM
thievery corporation + lsd = yes

so fun and soooo psychedelic

just wait til they bust out the dude on sitar to play lebanese blonde. if they weren't on the bill i might not buy a ticket honestly, totally sold me.

hahaha i love watching you guys wig out..

i cant do that shit anymore.

Trillis
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't make the festival, but most of my friends agreed that they were the highlight of Voodoo.

GauchoGuy17
02-01-2009, 01:55 AM
What are the best albums to check out if I know nothing about them?

crazzz2007
02-01-2009, 02:06 AM
What are the best albums to check out if I know nothing about them?

The Mirror Conspiracy

and

The Richest Man in Babylon

thedontlab
02-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Sold me for sure. Saw daaa teeevery coorpooration right before daft punk at the vegoose show. I was pretty much going for them two acts, Thievery Corporation is one of my favourite groups. I would really like to see Goldenvoice book more groups like T.C............how about some of whats on ESL (Thievery's label) thuderball, ursula 1000, fort knox five, nickodemus..........throw in some ninja tunes as welll............crowd would go nutso for a little bonobo live set, amon tobin, herbaliser, vadim...........nightmares on wax, mr scruff, quantic.......i dont know am i the only one who thinks its enough with the brit-indie-rock-garage bands on the lineup already!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 06:24 AM
How many people think Thievery will play on the main stage?

voiceofthemasses
02-01-2009, 06:57 AM
TC are more of an Outdoor stage type of band, it suits them better, not knocking them in any way, I loves me some TC, but their show has a better vibe on a slightly smaller stage and a more packed crowd. Think Arcade Fire in 05

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 06:59 AM
TC are more of an Outdoor stage type of band, it suits them better, not knocking them in any way, I loves me some TC, but their show has a better vibe on a slightly smaller stage and a more packed crowd. Think Arcade Fire in 05

I thought the same thing...which leaves a big gap on Saturday....

voiceofthemasses
02-01-2009, 07:13 AM
I thought the same thing...which leaves a big gap on Saturday....

pencil in Franti and Spearhead on the Outdoor, with maybe Fleet Foxes on after them (they'll get the sunset spot ala Arcade Fire 05, and after the fantastic album and the heaps of praise the past year), followed by TC closing it out.

Stick Amy Wino in a tent, TV on the Radio get the Main Stage sunset spot

but then again, what the fuck do i know

BrickTop24
02-01-2009, 08:02 AM
sounds like they're gonna be great

GaragePoet
02-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Where was that taken? It almost looks like one of the tents at Coachella.

funny, 'cause i definitely don't see a tent behind them...

saw them at Coach in '03 and it was definitely one of the highlights... great live show. of course, it could have been the 'shrooms. but no, i'm sure they were legitimately awesome...

ALMOST had a chance to open for them on NYE in San Fran last month w/ Mutaytor. that would have been amazing...

gooftroop
02-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I've seen them a few times (once back in 2006 at Bang Music Fest). They were fantastic! Same sort of style as Massive Attack...but, they have a lot more instruments. They are called Thievery Corp because they steal musical influences from all over the world. They are in my top 10 live shows.

I saw them at Bang too, great lead in before Daft :)

I may only skip them because I will have seen them 3 times but if you've never seen them i HIGHLY recommend....

GaragePoet
i dont know am i the only one who thinks its enough with the brit-indie-rock-garage bands on the lineup already!

nah, you're definitely not alone on that... year after year we keep hoping the fad will pass, but it seems to move slower than we wished... i'm pretty sure amon tobin & nightmares on wax have both played Coachella before, albeit probably in '99, which few people here remember...

danteb
tv on the radio/fleet foxes conflict would kill me

danteb
02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
hopefully thievery corporation plays during the killers

ShannonNilsen@mac.com
02-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Likewise. Pandora radio with them is great too.

GaragePoet
02-01-2009, 10:47 AM

that's what i'm bankin' on.

gooftroop
02-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I feel like Thievery will play the mainstage. Just a guess, but they're co-headlining Langerado so that's what I would assume. I'd prefer a late-night Outdoor theater set though probably, although the main stage will surely sound better.

benhur
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM

chem bros will play during killers

HandBanana
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
OK, waitasec.

Apparently Ive only ever seen these guys DJ before.

I take back all my initial disappointment IF we get the full band treatment.

Otehrwise Im keying Passive's tent. :P

Stork
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
TC is something coachella should have got last year or so.
The new album is really embarrassing and I was let down when I saw them at the hollywood bowl last year.
I used to love these guys but Im not so sure anymore.
The set list will determine my attendance at their set.

betao
02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I will be pissed if Thievery plays the mainstage before Amy Whinehouse and/or The Killers. I dont want to watch and enjoy them with a bunch of cunty kids around me who have no idea who Thievery is and are just there for amy or killers.

matsuolost
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I will be pissed if Thievery plays the mainstage before Amy Whinehouse and/or The Killers. I dont want to watch and enjoy them with a bunch of cunty kids around me who have no idea who Thievery is and are just there for amy or killers.

same feeling i have with band of horses
and with these guys too

crazzz2007
02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
The new album is really embarrassing and I was let down when I saw them at the hollywood bowl last year.

ya, the new album is kinda weak. and when i saw them on New Years Eve, they played a lot of the songs from the new album.

i really hope they stick mostly with their older stuff at coachella.

thedontlab
02-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Mandala is a pretty sweet song if you ask me. The middle where it picks up with the horn section, unreal.

whynotsmile99
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
i like their new album a lot. doesn't break new ground, but lots of good stuff to add to their mix. seu jorge has two great tracks with them

BrickTop24
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
hopefully that wont happen.

thagorillaz
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
what album should i get of theirs. I've heard great things about them
-tim

PassiveTheory
02-01-2009, 06:14 PM
what album should i get of theirs. I've heard great things about them
-tim

All of them.

But start with the Mirror Conspiracy and the Cosmic Game. Then get The Richest Man in Babylon.

And for all the fucks who thought Radio Retaliation sucked, go clean out your fucking ears.

Drknowph
02-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I personally like them all
I first started with "cosmic game"
then went to "mirror conspiracy"
and figured out i like every album

Im all stoked imma see em

check out
the richest man in babylon
the outernational sound

me and passive theory just said the same thing
passive theory knows whatsup

SuperStar
02-01-2009, 06:53 PM
IMO Mirror Conspiracy is the cream of the crop... but also yes, they are all good.

voiceofthemasses
02-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Cosmic Game, criminally underrated IMO

as is Sounds from the Thievery HiFi, but what the f*&k do I know

Hawkings
02-02-2009, 07:46 PM

dj am(chasing birds)

F'd up and wrong but funny

CalmerThanYou
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
they killed at vegoose in 07.

they killed it SO. FUCKING. HARD.

i'm so, so, so excited to see them again.

Leeartlee
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
I personally like them all
I first started with "cosmic game"
then went to "mirror conspiracy"
and figured out i like every album

Im all stoked imma see em

check out
the richest man in babylon
the outernational sound

Funny, I always thought the richest man in babylon was their strongest effort. The vocals on this album are orgasmic. But I like (pretty much) all of their albums. Go TC!