PDA

View Full Version : All I know is... layaway may be a racket...no refunds, my ass.

ravennome
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Okay so I get the "layaway from the goodness of GV's heart" concept. But then I read that there is no refund, so once you put tix on layaway, you're in and committed to buy. Now this wouldn't bother me so much but in years past acts have been added because days weren't selling out. So now if you buy on layaway, they have your money. With the time line for payment, it behooves you to purchase now rather than later, even if this line up isn't your cup of tea entirely. So who wins, you? or GV?

In this economy if you can't buck up enough self control to squirrel away the coin for tix under yer bed your gonna be shit outta luck in life. However saving up yourself means you still have your money and if the lineup doesn't fit yer needs then you can go else where with it.

All lay away does is encourage bad behavior on GV's part. It drives a psychological idea that because people can do layaway that things are going to sell out faster even though many people are less than enthused by the current line up and it also insures that GV will make bank because you"re in for an inch in for a mile. All while not giving GV much incentive to sweeten the pot with new and better acts.

I know this may sound a little dark and heavy handed, but at the end of the day this is a business. As much as we may think its about the music, if money isn't being made then there is no music. I'm all for free festivals, but that just ain't gonna happen.

So I say if you're not on same page with the line then hold off on purchase till you are. Let your money speak for you.

I myself don't plan to purchase until next month or March. If one day sells out, oh well I'd be doing 3day passes anyway. At least I'll know I was voting my heart, and right now I need a better selection of acts, and a real headliner for Saturday night. Last year shaped up to be awesome, and I just want the same this year, if that takes lackluster tickets sales then so be it.

frozen pilgrim
01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
the structure in this paragraph is so godawful I couldn't read the whole thing.

layaway is layaway. not credit, not a loan, layaway. it is what it is and it makes perfect sense.

don't like it, don't use it.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Exactly. Layaway is for ticket buyers who want to attend Coachella, but cannot afford to purchase tickets right away. If you are unsure or don't want to commit... don't buy tickets or layaway. That simple.

faxman75
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
http://stupidjuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/retards_we_all_know_one.jpg

chiapet
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Do you not understand what layaway is? These are the terms pretty much anywhere. Why else would they offer it? There is no advantage to them to hold tickets for you for 2 months.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Layaway gives people a chance to secure a ticket that can't afford it right away. Why would they do such a kind thing?

If there was a Layaway option in '07 when it was announced the Rage was playing, that mother would have sold out twice as fast because people who couldn't afford to just drop $350 when tickets first went on sale (aka me) would have put them on layaway.

If you don't want to be committed, then don't commit. But if they drop a big name and it sells out, tough shit.

TheWatcher
01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
http://stupidjuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/retards_we_all_know_one.jpg

:rotfl

Classic!

But, that is one grumpy owl on the left. Maybe his friend is just differently abled.

James
01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I wonder why you can't get a refund when you buy a ticket on layaway... hmmm...

Stickjohn
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Because it's a commitment to buying the ticket on your part. The ticket can't be resold if you don't follow through.

I think the economists call it a non-fungible commodity.

JustSteve
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
The ticket can't be resold if you don't follow through.

it can be released back into the available ticket allotment.

ravennome
01-31-2009, 12:44 PM
the structure in this paragraph is so godawful I couldn't read the whole thing.

layaway is layaway. not credit, not a loan, layaway. it is what it is and it makes perfect sense.

don't like it, don't use it.

Grammar policing aside, FP, I didn't know that when you put something on layaway at a store you can't get a refund if you decide you don't want the product. I could see a percentage, maybe, but if that's the way it works then its broken. When you buy a ticket you can't refund it cause you have purchased it and now its your problem, but with layaway you have purchased nothing until your final payment.

Yes it is kind of them to do layaway for the good of those that can't afford the full ticket price right now. But what if say months from now you can't afford to go (that's a very real possibility at this point) we'll see how kind they are then. I guess you could still sell your tickets if you have enough cash to pay them off or can work something out with your buyer.

Stickjohn
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickjohn -The ticket can't be resold if you don't follow through.

it can be released back into the available ticket allotment.

Very true but at some point it doesn't make sense ...Goldenvoice only has a limited amount of time to sell tickets, and the more tickets "returned" later in that timeframe the harder it is to resell them. Like anything, you just have to understand how it works and make your choice. Goldenvoice is trying to sell tickets, no doubt about it.

JustSteve
01-31-2009, 12:53 PM
But what if say months from now you can't afford to go (that's a very real possibility at this point) we'll see how kind they are then.

you say "months from now", but coach is only a little over 2 months away. if there is that much uncertainty in someone's future then maybe buying tickets in the first place is not the best idea.

chiapet
01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
I didn't know that when you put something on layaway at a store you can't get a refund if you decide you don't want the product.

That is how layaway works, be it a festival or a purchase at your local KMart. You are committing to purchase of an item that has a limited shelf life and limited availability. The vendor is doing you a favor in holding that item and ensuring its availability provided you complete payments. If you break the contract you have "signed" by agreeing to the layaway, they owe you nothing. They're not running a savings account for you, for god's sake.

amyzzz
01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
:rolleyes

beltanegoddess
01-31-2009, 01:04 PM
You can't get a "refund" when you buy tickets from Ticketmaster for the full price either (unless you opt for the $6/ticket insurance, of course). If you choose not to go, then you have to try to sell it to another party in order to recoup your money. Layaway doesn't really work any differently than that except that you are allowed a certain amount of time to make payments. Many stores used to have layaway and this was standard practice.

Stickjohn
01-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Grammar policing aside, FP, I didn't know that when you put something on layaway at a store you can't get a refund if you decide you don't want the product. I could see a percentage, maybe, but if that's the way it works then its broken. When you buy a ticket you can't refund it cause you have purchased it and now its your problem, but with layaway you have purchased nothing until your final payment.

Yes it is kind of them to do layaway for the good of those that can't afford the full ticket price right now. But what if say months from now you can't afford to go (that's a very real possibility at this point) we'll see how kind they are then. I guess you could still sell your tickets if you have enough cash to pay them off or can work something out with your buyer.

I don't think kindness has anything to do with it - Goldenvoice is in the business of selling tickets (and that's great! otherwise there would be no Coachella.)

Maybe it would help to think of it this way: the money you pay (the installments) is the price you pay for Goldenvoice NOT to sell your ticket to someone else. You're not really buying the ticket - you're buying Goldenvoice's pledge not to sell "your" ticket to someone else. Layaway gives you a little more flexibility but there's definitely risk on the downside. Goldenvoice is protected because he has your money, and he could theoretically resell the ticket. Frankly you don't have any protection, so you really shouldn't do it unless you're confident you can follow through. READ THE TERMS VERY CAREFULLY. MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND.

I like music much more than finance. I really hope layaway helps some people go. Times are tough.

captncrzy
01-31-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/you_made_MrT_Cry.gif

gaypalmsprings
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
it's also a rip because you have to do FedEx

bobert
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Okay so I get the "layaway from the goodness of GV's heart" concept. But then I read that there is no refund, so once you put tix on layaway, you're in and committed to buy. Now this wouldn't bother me so much but in years past acts have been added because days weren't selling out. So now if you buy on layaway, they have your money. With the time line for payment, it behooves you to purchase now rather than later, even if this line up isn't your cup of tea entirely. So who wins, you? or GV?

In this economy if you can't buck up enough self control to squirrel away the coin for tix under yer bed your gonna be shit outta luck in life. However saving up yourself means you still have your money and if the lineup doesn't fit yer needs then you can go else where with it.

All lay away does is encourage bad behavior on GV's part. It drives a psychological idea that because people can do layaway that things are going to sell out faster even though many people are less than enthused by the current line up and it also insures that GV will make bank because you"re in for an inch in for a mile. All while not giving GV much incentive to sweeten the pot with new and better acts.

I know this may sound a little dark and heavy handed, but at the end of the day this is a business. As much as we may think its about the music, if money isn't being made then there is no music. I'm all for free festivals, but that just ain't gonna happen.

So I say if you're not on same page with the line then hold off on purchase till you are. Let your money speak for you.

I myself don't plan to purchase until next month or March. If one day sells out, oh well I'd be doing 3day passes anyway. At least I'll know I was voting my heart, and right now I need a better selection of acts, and a real headliner for Saturday night. Last year shaped up to be awesome, and I just want the same this year, if that takes lackluster tickets sales then so be it.

Wow!! What a long-winded pile of monkey dung. Thanks for sharing your six paragraphs of moronic drivel with us - so insightful.

sydaud
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I think it was damn decent of them to offer up the option. I don't really care what caveats GV put in there. They didn't have to offer anything at all, right?

iloveorangejuice
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm glad there's layaway. Past few months have been tough. Still waiting on one more W2 to come in.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

So you're telling us, if the event sells out, and I don't have a ticket, that you have every right to hold on to a ticket that you might not pay for, just in case you decide that you can afford it?

If you're selling your car for $5000, and I come to you and say here's $1000, don't sell the car, and I'll come back in a week and give you the rest of the money... and you turn 5 other people away that week that have $5000 in cash and want to give it straight to you, telling them it's sold. But when I come a week later and ask for my money back because I've decided I can't afford it... you'll be okay with that right?

ultraslow
02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Is there an additional FedEx charge if I order tickets by layaway?

beavington
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Is this a legitimate complaint? I mean, Did you do the layaway and now have been duped? Or are you just looking for something new to complain about? Or is this a thinly veiled complaint about the Killers?

Either way it is pointless. I did the layaway, and I am happy about it. I like that i can pay in installments.

momof5
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I would have rather had a pre-sale that sved me a little money than the layaway option. I can use a credit card for a payment plan if I want to!

PotVsKtl
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I also enjoy having money.

beavington
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Is there an additional FedEx charge if I order tickets by layaway?

yeah and that is the thing that sucks, it was a FedEx charge for the tickets and camping tickets...i was hoping they could bundle those together.
But oh well, good enough for me.

luckyface
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow, really? Does Ticketmaster give refunds when you buy tickets? Great complaint, champ.

toilet
02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I couldn't imagine actually using the layaway feature. I wouldn't be surprised if GV was counting on gypping the people who should've never put the tickets on layaway out of their money while garnering reviews for being forward thinking in times of economic uncertainty.

Too bad you don't get a credit card sized reminder that you've put these on layaway. It would look right at home next to charge cards from Nordstrom, Best Buy, Ikea, and wherever else the early 20 set blows their dough.

paganman7
02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
How dare Goldenvoice give us more options for buying our tickets.

Fucking dicks!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM

SO DUMB....

hmmm, lay away; cant get a refund...dude its called ticketmaster! when have you ever been allowed to get a refund from ticketmaster?? it's not lay away so you god damed flakes can pay a little now and then decide to take your money back later. It's lay away so you can easily commit for a future event with out having to pay 100% upfront. Criminy!

you've wasted all this time and wrote that whole sob story just because what you really wanted to say was you aren't sure if you want to go to coachella or not....my god help us all.

imapixie
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
layaway is the only reason my two friends bought a three day pass instead of just a sunday ticket, so now i get to go all three days with people and have somewhere to sleep <3
yay for layaway!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
layaway is the only reason my two friends bought a three day pass instead of just a sunday ticket, so now i get to go all three days with people and have somewhere to sleep <3
yay for layaway!

exactly, I was shocked how many of my friends bought three day passed the day it went on sale...it makes the three day pass so doable...I didnt need lay away and I still did it. why not??