PDA

View Full Version : Regarding My Bloody Valentine

Pages : [1] 2

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Please Paul T, give them a full 90 minute set. We don't want a compressed set or a shorten version of You Made Me Realise...

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry Marco, my bet is that they only get an hour.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:05 AM
If Portishead only got an hour, MBV are getting an hour. On the brightside, The Cure will probably get 2+ hours.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Just don't shorten YMMR....I want that shit at full power...

stuporfly
01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Just don't shorten YMMR....I want that shit at full power...

No way they hit the white noise for less than 12 minutes at Coachella. I bet they cut other songs from their set before doing that.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
No way they hit the white noise for less than 12 minutes at Coachella. I bet they cut other songs from their set before doing that.

Thats my bet too.

Boourns
01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
If the Verve and Arcade Fire and Massive Attack can get 70 minutes, so should MBV.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
The whole set should be You Made Me Realise. Instant best Coachella set ever.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
If the Verve and Arcade Fire and Massive Attack can get 70 minutes, so should MBV.

Jack Johnson, RHCP and Tool didn't play for 2+ hours though....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:17 AM
ok...is anyone AGAINST a longer MBV set?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
If Portishead only got an hour, MBV are getting an hour. On the brightside, The Cure will probably get 2+ hours.

Portishead was a curious case. They would have gotten more if they weren't bumped down by Prince...so I wouldn't count that...and it turned out they only needed a hour to melt your soul...

stuporfly
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
ok...is anyone AGAINST a longer MBV set?

Gosh, no! I didn't want it to end when I saw them at Roseland last year, even though they completely wiped me out.

More My Bloody Valentine = More bliss

frozen pilgrim
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
everyone who's planning on watching the killers.

obzen
01-31-2009, 11:20 AM

yeah,i thought sub-headliners got just over an hour,and headliners got two hours or so...

hey Booruns,did you get my message?!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:23 AM
everyone who's planning on watching the killers.

actually in a thread last year...I talked to garrett. having MBV and The Killers play at the same time...I dreamed about MBV drowing them out....

cacahead01
01-31-2009, 11:25 AM
The whole set should be You Made Me Realise. Instant best Coachella set ever.

yessssss!!

obzen
01-31-2009, 11:25 AM
having MBV and The Killers play at the same time...MBV drowing them out....

<-----YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suprefan
01-31-2009, 11:31 AM
i say 75 or so, and considering the cure will get their 3 hours, I think itll work out.

3DEnwUAzPG4

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM
actually...wasn't their Fuji Rock set only 75 minutes? How long were their normal set lists?

suprefan
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
About 90 give or take.

Santa Monica civic show started at about 10:15 and was done at 11:45

stuporfly
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
actually...wasn't their Fuji Rock set only 75 minutes? How long were their normal set lists?

No idea - But I'm still pissing blood after seeing them in NYC. It could have been five minutes or several days long. I'd have never known the difference.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
They'll probably get 60 minutes at most since Sunday is full of main stage eligible bands but if YYY's get 60 then MBV can probably get 75 and the cure will have probably a 90 minute to 2 hour set depending on whenever the band before them ends their set

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Coachella isn't known for long set times. In fact, they are know for SHORT set times. I doubt MBV will get 75 minutes and the Cure will get 3 hours. With that being said, Prince playng 2+ hours last year and Roger Water getting 2.5 hours scheduled, and playing almost 3, was a break in traditions. As was both subheadliners on Saturday getting an hour. Perhaps this year will further break the tradition.

But lets see...

My Bloody Valentine: 7:00-8:15
The Cure: 9:00-end

In past years, between 7 till midnight, Coachella ususaly fits in 3 or 4 bands. You really think they will condense it down to two?

woogie846
01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Compared to other acts, how loud are MBV live?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
My Bloody Valentine: 7:00-8:30

Fixed. Also. Last year only 2 acts played between 7p and the end on Sunday if you remember.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:41 AM

I don't know if the audience will hear The Cure...

jtovar21
01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I like this time schedule better:

MBV : 8:45 - 10

The Cure: 10:20 - END

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:42 AM

They made Kit Katt puke when she saw them last year. That loud.

I have heard comparisons that they sound as loud as listening to a jet take off from less than 100 yards away. Except, the sound doesn't last for a couple seconds. It lasts over an hour.

I hope I can hear The Cure after....

jtovar21
01-31-2009, 11:42 AM
The Cure went like 40 min or so over time last time they headlined so that would be a cool 2 hrs for them

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:44 AM
They made Kit Katt puke when she saw them last year. That loud.

I have heard comparisons that they sound as loud as listening to a jet take off from less than 100 yards away. Except, the sound doesn't last for a couple seconds. It lasts over an hour.

I hope I can hear The Cure after....

from Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveless_(album)

Robert Smith of The Cure discovered Loveless after a period of almost exclusively listening to "disco, or Irish bands like the Dubliners" as a means of avoiding his contemporaries, and said, "[My Bloody Valentine] was the first band I heard who quite clearly pissed all over us, and their album Loveless is certainly one of my all-time three favourite records. It's the sound of someone [Shields] who is so driven that they're demented. And the fact that they spent so much time and money on it is so excellent."

Maybe MBV will close OUT the main stage? Robert Smiths seems to be a huge fan of MBV and might not want to follow that...

summerkid
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Coachella isn't known for long set times. In fact, they are know for SHORT set times. I doubt MBV will get 75 minutes and the Cure will get 3 hours. With that being said, Prince playng 2+ hours last year and Roger Water getting 2.5 hours scheduled, and playing almost 3, was a break in traditions. As was both subheadliners on Saturday getting an hour. Perhaps this year will further break the tradition.

But lets see...

In past years, between 7 till midnight, Coachella ususaly fits in 3 or 4 bands. You really think they will condense it down to two?

yeah, i don't think the cure will get 3 hrs 2 and a half max, but there was an article I remember reading awhile back when they made the switch to three days that one of the reasons they did it was to be able to have longer sets.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM

But lets see...

I'm sure Paul doesn't want that problem of going over the curfew like with what happened with Prince again and every band that plays Coachella has a 50 minute set which seems pretty long

Assuming, that MBV goes on at that time and the YYY's before then it may be like this:
Throbbing Gristle: 5:25-6:15
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: 6:45-7:40
MBV: 8:00-9:00 or 9:15
The Cure-9:30 End

the only problem with that is Throbbing Gristle playing at a time like that unless they played near the end of MBV's set and into the beginning of the Cure's set on the outdoor theatre but that would suck more

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
yeah, i don't think the cure will get 3 hrs 2 and a half max, but there was an article I remember reading awhile back when they made the switch to three days that one of the reasons they did it was to be able to have longer sets.

I think The Cure will get 2.5 hours. Chris suggested they will get upwards of 3. I say no way. The Cure will get 2.5 hours and play 15 minutes over time. Like they did at Sasquatch last year.

MBV will get an hour, MAYBE 70 minutes. At most though.

Also, I do hope we start seeing longer set times in the future.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
MBV will probably get 60 minutes just like Portishead and remember they have to disassemble equipment and set up which will probably take a while for a band like the cure

summerkid
01-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I think The Cure will get 2.5 hours. Chris suggested they will get upwards of 3. I say no way. The Cure will get 2.5 hours and play 15 minutes over time. Like they did at Sasquatch last year.

MBV will get an hour, MAYBE 70 minutes. At most though.

Also, I do hope we start seeing longer set times in the future.

i agree completely.

suprefan
01-31-2009, 11:53 AM

130db sustained for 15 minutes, think about it. thats what happens during the holocaust ending. I lost hearing and had ear plugs. We will all benefit from being outdoors that for sure.

Josh I was kidding you know, the cure wont get 3 hours, probably a solid 2, but they will go over midnight. MBV gets 75 or so and think about this, if all the bands get stacked to saturday like last year, its a sign. Roger Waters got his 2 1/2 hours because there were so few acts on the bill and 2 stages could stop early. MACCA is geting 2 1/2, any less and its gonna be weird.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm still weary about that: should I bring earplugs if I plan on being in near the front during MBV even though it's outdoor?

And If the Cure goes over midnight it'll probably be 12:15 at maximum.

benhur
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM

they are loud enough for me to look for earbuds, and im not joking. on sunday im going to really bring ear buds just for mbv

Boourns
01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
YYYs 7:00-7:50
My Bloody Valentine 8:15-9:30
The Cure 10:00-whenever they pull the plug

= an amazing 5+ hours.

How loud? Quite. And I have never been to a show where they gave everyone free earplugs until My Bloody Valentine. Probably to protect themselves in case somebody sues. And I surrendered my rail spot and was all the way in the back so it wasn't that bad, except the holocaust. People without earplugs were cowering and covering their ears in agony. And yes, puking. Infra and ultrasounds FTW.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
I keep warning the people I am going with that we will need earplugs for MBV and they are under the impression that because it is outside it won't be as loud...I am bringing a mess of earbuds just to be safe...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
YYYs 7:00-7:50
My Bloody Valentine 8:15-9:30
The Cure 10:00-whenever they pull the plug

= an amazing 5+ hours.

Boourns = The Voice of reason for set times...

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Boourns = The Voice of reason for set times...

If he took off YYY's and gave that spot to Throbbing Gristle

rage patton
01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree. Bourns set times win.

suprefan
01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Bring the earplugs, you will need it, Im just saying, lets be glad its outside, because the sound wont bounce back to us. Im sure you will hear the holocaust all the way in sahara if you were outside of it.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I read reviews of MBV at Fufi Rock last year. Apparently it was just as loud as any other MBV show.

Boourns
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
If he took off YYY's and gave that spot to Throbbing Gristle

Isn't Throbbing Gristle too esoteric for main stage?

And there's no way YYY's get a smaller stage after the massive crowd in 2006.

Boourns
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I really liked the Santa Monica Civic...wish there were more shows there.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
I read reviews of MBV at Fufi Rock last year. Apparently it was just as loud as any other MBV show.

what the articles didn't say is that they destroyed small villages miles away....true stiry...

PotVsKtl
Throbbing Gristle will not be on the main stage. MBV will not be allowed to play as loud as they like.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
what the articles didn't say is that they destroyed small villages miles away....true stiry...

Actually, I heard a report 1,000 festival goers died due to the Avalanches caused by MBV's noise holocaust. True story.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Isn't Throbbing Gristle too esoteric for main stage?

And there's no way YYY's get a smaller stage after the massive crowd in 2006.

That is my fear. If they are playing on the Outdoor theatre for a later set instead of an earlier main stage set then they'll probably conflict with YYY's and MBV which means I'd watch some (maybe most) of TG, then run have to back and push my way as close as I can to the front for MBV which would suck terribly

stuporfly
01-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Actually, I heard a report 1,000 festival goers died due to the Avalanches caused by MBV's noise holocaust. True story.

I shit my pants, and the pants of everyone within a 10 foot radius because of MBV's noise holocaust.

True story.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
MBV will be allowed to play as loud as they like.

Fixed. Also, Go Fuck Yourself.

Boourns
01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
What if Throbbing Gristle plays during the Cure? They seem to be a band that could only play in the dark.

Edit: I take that back. Coachella tends to not schedule rare acts against each other (so no MBV vs Throbbing Gristle) or against headliners.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
What if Throbbing Gristle plays during the Cure? They seem to be a band that could only play in the dark.

Edit: I take that back. Coachella tends to not schedule rare acts against each other (so no MBV vs Throbbing Gristle) or against headliners.

Unless TG plays on the outdoor theatre near the end of the Cure's set then that may be ok

CrimesceneCookie
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know how MBV can play anything other than a closing set. How could anything follow YMMR?

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
what if it goes like this:

The Cure: 9:30-11:00

MBV: 10:45-12:00 on the outdoor theatre

fucking amazing

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I veto MBV on the Outdoor for the simple reason that the Outdoor ALWAYS has sound issues...and Kevin being the freak that he is would go nuts if that happened...MBV need to stay on the main stage...

ravennome
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
They will have to be the last act that day. I mean bleed over from the 15-20 minute gut liquefying NOISE WALL will be horrendous. This show was a amazing, I just can't believe they are going to try and do it outdoors, seems like it will be hard to get the same effect without destroying any and all surrounding acts.

MBV thanks for the plugs by the way, my ears thank you.

coldstart
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
I hope MBV (or the Cure) doesn't conflict with M.A.N.D.Y. That would tear me apart...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
They will have to be the last act that day. I mean bleed over from the 15-20 minute gut liquefying NOISE WALL will be horrendous. This show was a amazing, I just can't believe they are going to try and do it outdoors, seems like it will be hard to get the same effect without destroying any and all surrounding acts.

MBV thanks for the plugs by the way, my ears thank you.

MBV played out doors at Fuji and Roskilde.....fyi. But your right...they should closed out the stage....

chiapet
01-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't think the Cure will play for hours -- I'm guessing they will be scheduled for like 2-2 1/4 and might go over a little. Aren't most of the ~3 hour sets they've played indoors or in venues that don't have a noise curfew?

Honestly I can't wait to see the reaction of people who have not heard MBV and who will have not bothered to check them out before the festival. Can you imagine being oblivious to their existence, hanging out at another stage and having that wall of noise hit you.... you'd wait for it to end quickly and would be thinking WTF? after only a minute.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think the Cure will play for hours -- I'm guessing they will be scheduled for like 2-2 1/4 and might go over a little. Aren't most of the ~3 hour sets they've played indoors or in venues that don't have a noise curfew?

Honestly I can't wait to see the reaction of people who have not heard MBV and who will have not bothered to check them out before the festival. Can you imagine being oblivious to their existence, hanging out at another stage and having that wall of noise hit you.... you'd wait for it to end quickly and would be thinking WTF? after only a minute.

priceless...

Cdubby
01-31-2009, 01:31 PM

HAHAHA I am laughing at the thought of people kind of staring blankly at the music, then the noise wall hits and all the people waiting at the rail for The Cure (the less informed ones) run away with their hands over their ears in pain...lol. Then I slide in even closer for my rail spot.

quicksand's dad
01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't need earplugs. I trained in deafness under Marlee Matlin.

Jman4321
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
The wall of noise in "You Made Me Realise" is so loud that it makes the hair on your arm stand up (presuming you have any). You feel tingles throughout your body and a breeze from the amps if you're close enough. It's ridiculous.

microcuts
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM

Their headline shows are always 3 hours, or close to it. 8pm - 11pm or 9pm - 12am depending on curfew times.

Coachella will probably only give them 2 hours. They got 90 minutes back in 2004 but played a half hour past curfew anyway.

amyzzz
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm staying way the fuck far back during My Bloody Valentine.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm staying way the fuck far back during My Bloody Valentine.

the sound will follow amyz...there is not escaping...palm springs will shudder...

Jman4321
01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe if they conflict with Throbbing Gristle they'll have a noise battle between the sahara and main. No survivors.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Found it...Their Fuji Rock set was 75 minutes...

http://www.smash-uk.com/frf08/lineup.html

21:30 to 22:45

bullcat
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM

I saw them at Fuji Rock and I believe their set was about 75-80 minutes but it felt like "You Made Me Realise" was about 25-30 minutes, and I mean that in an awesome way. I think they also cut out a couple songs from their regular set.

I'm still weary about that: should I bring earplugs if I plan on being in near the front during MBV even though it's outdoor?

Bring earplugs. I was up front at Fuji Rock and wore earplugs and could hear fine. My ears were pretty good the next day. My cousin and his wife, on the other hand, had ringing in their ears for days. Also during YMMR, it sound better with earplugs. I pulled them out for a second and it was insanely loud to an indescribable volume...and I had moved probably 50 yards back at that point

You Made Me Realise from one of their Roundhouse shows

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_po0RTKjsC8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_po0RTKjsC8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

pancakespancakes
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Just a thought to bring up: Coachella has a tradition, as with other festivals, of never having an artist who repeats from a previous year play the same stage as before, the excpetions being the Sahara artists and headliners. Since Yeah Yeah Yeahs played the main stage in 2006, I wouldn't honestly be that surprised to see them play the Outdoor Theatre in 2009. Sure, they're pretty big, but honestly they haven't gotten any bigger since 2006 (we'll see how this new album does), I don't really see it being that overcrowded.

With that said, I would have been a bit curious to see if My Bloody Valentine would have in fact played the Main instead of the Outdoor, had it not been for JAMC in 2007. They'll be on the Main Stage just the same. The exception of Love & Rockets was due to Roger Waters. If indeed The Cure play 2.5 hours like Waters did, then I won't be so sure. But I still highly doubt they get more than 2 hours 15 minutes, just pure speculation...

PotVsKtl
01-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure speculation about 15 minutes is really worth wasting time on.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Pot, will you be watching MBV?

gazercmh
01-31-2009, 03:49 PM

it's probably better to compare MBV to things like jets taking off rather than other bands, but if you must, think of the loudest band you've ever heard, then imagine a band playing loud enough to completely drown that out.

alpharuin
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
MBV sets aren't really all that long. I think they will get enough time to play what they usually do.

Jman4321
01-31-2009, 05:26 PM
It's not really painfully loud though. The tones aren't absolutely screeching so a lot of them sound really nice and soothing. I only needed earplugs during the noise coda at the end because that's just ridiculous.

CurableOkie
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
With that said, I would have been a bit curious to see if My Bloody Valentine would have in fact played the Main instead of the Outdoor, had it not been for JAMC in 2007. They'll be on the Main Stage just the same. The exception of Love & Rockets was due to Roger Waters. If indeed The Cure play 2.5 hours like Waters did, then I won't be so sure. But I still highly doubt they get more than 2 hours 15 minutes, just pure speculation...

In all honesty, I think the Main Stage will go Throbbing Gristle > MBV > Cure

I recall in 2005 when they did this with Gang of Four > New Order > NIN

It just seems to me that Throbbing gristle before MBV would be a wise choice because I imagine anybody interested in seeing MBV would definitely like to see Throbbing gristle too.

I can't wait for MBV or TG.

pancakespancakes
01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
In all honesty, I think the Main Stage will go Throbbing Gristle > MBV > Cure

I recall in 2005 when they did this with Gang of Four > New Order > NIN

It just seems to me that Throbbing gristle before MBV would be a wise choice because I imagine anybody interested in seeing MBV would definitely like to see Throbbing gristle too.

I can't wait for MBV or TG.

Yeah you know, I won't be too surprised I guess, but just thinking about Throbbing Gristle on the main stage... I dunno. That's a weird move by GV. I'm not sure how well that will go over. But we'll see I guess. Like I said, I also won't be super suprised to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs play the Outdoor in a move to avoid repetition. But I just see Throbbing Gristle on the Outdoor or the Mohave, it's not like that many people will know them anyway...

AAM!!!
01-31-2009, 07:39 PM
If the whole thing about a band not playing the same time is true that's not gunna be good for Franz/Morrissey/ or MBV/Yeah Yeah Yeahs fans
I honestly don't want to have to miss any of those bands

thedevious
01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
MBV on the main stage....with all them speakers. They are going to fuck up our shit so good.

I just hope Throbbing Gristle conflicts with the Cure, not with MBV. MBV being the ONLY fucking act that could keep me away from Throbbing Gristle's set.

pancakespancakes
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
MBV on the main stage....with all them speakers. They are going to fuck up our shit so good.

I just hope Throbbing Gristle conflicts with the Cure, not with MBV.

Agreed on both counts.

There is no band this year that would keep me from MBV, because they're my only real "must-see" of the weekend, but I will be really fucking sad about missing Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Throbbing Gristle for them. With that said, though, the TG vs. YYY conflict would be such a bitch. I just have no idea who I'd take. One of my favorite live bands in existence vs. one of the most rare bands ever that I have nothing but the utmost respect for. Ughh... that'd be like Kraftwerk vs. Animal Collective all over again... lame.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, but this is my ideal Sunday evening:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Main Stage) 6:30-7:30
My Bloody Valentine (Main Stage) 8:00-9:10
Throbbing Gristle (Mohave Tent) 9:30-10:30
The Cure (Main Stage) 10:30-END

With No Age and Fucked Up earlier, that's pretty much THE perfect day for me.

AAM!!!
01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I think Throbbing Gristle might get the Spiritualized slot in the Mojave.

or are they one of those bands that have to play in the dark?

thedevious
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
I think Throbbing Gristle might get the Spiritualized slot in the Mojave.

or are they one of those bands that have to play in the dark?

What if they get the Happy Mondays slot from 07? Sahara closer Vs. mainstage closer. Those of us that year who either had already seen Rage or didn't give a fuck were dancing our asses off in there!

Jman4321
01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Wasn't infected mushroom playing against Rage in 07 @ the sahara?

GauchoGuy17
02-01-2009, 01:26 AM
What's this business about going over curfew? Is that actually a big deal? Hasn't it happened many times in the past?

CrimesceneCookie
02-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Almost always, at least one of the stages goes til 12:30. Prince went til 1am last year.
GV gets fined bigtime for every minute past midnite, or so I am led to believe.

bballarl
02-01-2009, 01:37 AM

They are the loudest band I have ever seen. They get progressively louder as the show goes on. There were parts of "You Made Me Realise" that I could feel in my teeth. I am not spouting hyperbole here. I was feeling vibrations in my teeth. It is fucking gorgeous.

bballarl
02-01-2009, 01:39 AM
The rest of the set is just really loud volume wise. Not quite as physical.

GauchoGuy17
02-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Looks like I'll be stocking up on earplugs. I hope my girlfriend doesn't hate me by the end of this set.

Do they play a lot of Loveless material? That's really all I'm familiar with. Anything recommendations for other albums/EPs to check out over the next few months?

PassiveTheory
02-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Think GV will distribute free earplugs on Sunday?

stuporfly
02-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Think GV will distribute free earplugs on Sunday?

They'll give you a pair in exchange for 10 empty water bottles.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 06:23 AM
They'll give you a pair in exchange for 10 empty water bottles.

http://www.w3bdevil.com/forums/Misc-OhSnap.jpg

captncrzy
02-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Paul's been begging MBV for a few years now; I bet they get the time they want.

I'm bringing the airline-grade earplugs that the guys down on the ramp use. I figure if the mechanics that use those can stand next to a B757 with both engines going, they'll be ok for me.

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a dick but,

how can a band really just play feedback like that for 15+ minutes?

it just seems like a dumb idea

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a dick but,

how can a band really just play feedback like that for 15+ minutes?

it just seems like a dumb idea

Memorial...I lurve ya but...and with all due respect and I mean ALL dues respect...

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~bites/shut%20the%20fuck%20up.jpg

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Memorial...I lurve ya but...and with all due respect and I mean ALL dues respect...

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~bites/shut%20the%20fuck%20up.jpg

Sorry buddy, I should've seen it coming.

We're still cool, right?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Sorry buddy, I should've seen it coming.

We're still cool, right?

Like a fat kid loves cookies....

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Ok nice.

Who are you meeting with this year at the festival?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Any and everyone that I find...Randall still owes me a BJ...

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I've never met up with anyone from the boards but I think I'll be meeting bluemamba, paulb and possibly feather and hopefully ragepatton and you if that's cool

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I will hopefully meet all of those boarders as well...

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice.

Since I'm new to all of this meeting up with people thing, how do I go about doing this?

Do I just ask "do you want to meet up?" and then designate a spot to meet?

chiapet
02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Paul's been begging MBV for a few years now; I bet they get the time they want.

I'm bringing the airline-grade earplugs that the guys down on the ramp use. I figure if the mechanics that use those can stand next to a B757 with both engines going, they'll be ok for me.

Not necessary. The hearos ones that get posted about are sufficient -- http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-00211.html

MonsoonSeason
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM

lol

bring earplugs

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Nice.

Since I'm new to all of this meeting up with people thing, how do I go about doing this?

Do I just ask "do you want to meet up?" and then designate a spot to meet?

I think people we have ideas once we get closer to the festival...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 10:20 AM
:bump

I almost wanted to start a new thread regarding MBV setlists: what they have played, what they haven't. Should we just do it in this thread or start a new one?

captncrzy
02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Not necessary. The hearos ones that get posted about are sufficient -- http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-00211.html

Yeah but I get mine free

amyzzz
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Wasn't infected mushroom playing against Rage in 07 @ the sahara?
Yep. I chose Infected Mushroom. Great set!

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
sorry but that's a poor choice

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I would have liked to see both. Oh well, saw IM a few months later in a tiny club. That was completely insane and very possibly the hottest room I've ever been in other than a sauna. If felt like partying in a sauna…

MBV, I really hope they play Soon.

suprefan
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
They will play Soon.

setlist 10/2/08 Santa Monica Civic - Los Angeles

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2794/dsc078831hc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Grant
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I Only Said + To Here Knows When + Soon = Die of excitement.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Lots of Loveless, I like.

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Two studio albums and 10 EPs. What's up with that anyway?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
have the played Loomer in the previous tour?

suprefan
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
dont think so, try and look up setlists from NME reviews regarding the first shows at Roudnhouse. Also, theck upcoming shows cause I know a few people posted setlists in there, so backtrack to june 2008 in that thread.

That is my setlist btw Marco. (thought you would like that ;) )

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
My Bloody Valentine @ Kutscher's - 9/21/2008 - setlist (via)

01 "I Only Said"
02 "When You Sleep"
03 "You Never Should"
04 "When You Wake"
05 "Cigarette In Your Bed"
06 "Come In Alone"
07 "Only Shallow"
08 "Thorn"
09 "Nothing Much To Lose"
10 "To Here Knows When"
11 "Blown A Wish"
12 "Slow"
13 "Soon"
14 "Feed Me With Your Kiss"
15 "Sue Is Fine"
16 "You Made Me Realise"

My Bloody Valentine
FUJIROCK EXPRESS'08

Setlist
01. I Only Said
02. When You Sleep
03. You Never Should
04. Cigarette In Your Bed
05. Come In Alone
06. Only Shallow
07. Thorn
08. Nothing Much To Lose
09. To Here Knows When
10. Slow
11. Soon
12. Feed Me With Your Kiss
13. You Made Me Realise

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Friday, June 13, 2008
Institute of Contemporary Arts
London

Only Shallow
You Never Should
Honey Power
I Only Said
Cigarette In Your Bed
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
When You Sleep
Slow
Blown A Wish
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

Saturday, June 14, 2008
Institute of Contemporary Arts
London

Only Shallow
When You Sleep
When You Wake
You Never Should
Lose My Breath
I Only Said
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Blown A Wish
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

Friday, June 20, 2008
The Roundhouse
London

Only Shallow
When You Sleep
You Never Should
When You Wake
Lose My Breath
I Only Said
Come In Alone
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Blown A Wish
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

Saturday, June 21, 2008
The Roundhouse
London

Only Shallow
When You Sleep
You Never Should
When You Wake
Cigarette In Your Bed
I Only Said
Come In Alone
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Blown A Wish
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

Sunday, June 22, 2008
The Roundhouse
London

I Only Said
When You Sleep
When You Wake
You Never Should
Lose My Breath
Come In Alone
Only Shallow
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Blown A Wish
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Wednesday, July 2nd 2008
Barrowlands
Glasgow

I Only Said
When You Sleep
(When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream
You Never Should
Lose My Breath
Come In Alone
Only Shallow
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Blown A Wish
Slow
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
Sueisfine
You Made Me Realise

The infamous setlist from ZENITH JULY 09TH 2008

Setlist:
1. I only said
2. When you sleep
3. When you wake
4. You never should
5. Cigarette in your bed
6. Come in alone
7. Only shallow
8. Thorn
9. Nothing much to loose
10. To here knows when
11. Blown a wish
12. Slow
13. Soon
14. Feed me with your kiss
15. Sue is fine
16. You made me realise

Oya Set List

I Only Said
When You Sleep
You Never Should
Cigarette In Your Bed
Come In Alone
Only Shallow
When You Wake
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Soon
Feed Me
Realise

all these setlists are from the MBV forum...good shit there...and this from when they started they tour last summer..

Quote from: Bluetrane478 on June 22, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
ok

so i just got home got to go backstage met kevin the band etc

here is what i can tell you, it is a bundle of news stuff that i feel the band wouldnt mind me saying

--SOMETIMES WILL BE PLAYED...soon very soon it has been soundchecked
with everyone on guitar including collin!

-- What you want my never be played as both collin and debbie said its really fucking hard to do

--ON THAT NOTE...they or at least debbie is not opposed to playing loveless from start to finish

-- bad news remastered delayed till september sorry folks...

-- NO NEW MBV SONGS WILL BE PLAYED LIVE...at least not anytime soon debbie and collin havent even practied anything new with kevin (i barely talked to belinda so i couldnt get her side of this). Kevin has tons of shit TONS but no one not even kevin has an idea on NEW material

-- ON THAT SAME NOTE "new" material will come out, yes there will be a rarities comp, who knows when it was going to have 5 never heard songs before but kevin called one crap and now its down to 4

--Kevin thinks the sceen in lost in translation is great and it works perfectly

-- No city girl live EVER...it seems as though he doesnt really care for those songs much

i have other things but dont wanna spread rumors blah blah

oh and collin really would like to play off yr face...but kevin doesnt wanna or something but yeah

finally i will say this ...be thankful you may/can see them now.....

Quote from: Bluetrane478 on June 23, 2008, 03:43:54 PM
another few notes to share

--kevin has blown at at least 4-5 amps on the last 3 shows (tubes which are replacable)

-- their are some issues still with the loveless book but as kevin told me "the truth is always more darker and scarier then the so called legends"...whatever that means

-- they have a bank of songs they will play when they get tired of the setlist they have (no new ones) but Dont ask why is on it..

http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/smf/index.php?topic=889.45

also it would appear that Loomer was NOT played at all...damnit...

WilliamTaft
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Looks like I'll be stocking up on earplugs. I hope my girlfriend doesn't hate me by the end of this set.

Do they play a lot of Loveless material? That's really all I'm familiar with. Anything recommendations for other albums/EPs to check out over the next few months?

yeah mostly. also be sure to get "Isn't Anything". half their set is off that album.

also get "Ecstacy and Wine". they don't play anything off of it, but your ears will thank you when you hear the song Never Say Goodbye. easily the most overlooked MBV song.

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
--SOMETIMES WILL BE PLAYED...soon very soon it has been soundchecked
with everyone on guitar including collin!

HOLY FUCK!

Thanks TCHY. This is great stuff to read. I was trying to do some research on all of this... but this makes life a bit earlier.

Just wondering, though, for anyone who knows... how many shows have they played now since the reformation?

suprefan
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
About 20

8 in the u.s. ,the 4 roundhouse dates couple times in japan and various festivals in europe.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
they played only once in Japan....at Fuji Rock...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
HOLY FUCK!

Thanks TCHY. This is great stuff to read. I was trying to do some research on all of this... but this makes life a bit earlier.

Just wondering, though, for anyone who knows... how many shows have they played now since the reformation?

are you going to both coach and roo?

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
God damn it, Blown A Wish had better be played live!

does anyone agree that it is the perfect song for them to play in the desert setting?

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
are you going to both coach and roo?

What would my life be without either? Yes of course.

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
God damn it, Blown A Wish had better be played live!

does anyone agree that it is the perfect song for them to play in the desert setting?

There's a much much much better song that comes right before it... but yes. I'd be really happy to hear that one. You're right it does kind of have a desert air atmosphere to it... never noticed till now.

But seriously, though, I'd rather hear Sometimes than YMMR. In fact I'd rather have Sometimes than any other song all weekend. It's one of my ten 10 favorite songs of all time, has been for several years since I first discovered this band. It would probably make me cry. I've only cried once at a concert before...

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Sometimes probably won't be played although it is a great song really showing Kevin's voice.

by the way, what concert have you cried at?

sonnyboy11
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I saw MVB on their last tour in the late 80's up in Berkely (ya, I am old). I think the club was the Golden Bear? Anyway, it was just amazing and I remember it well. Giant fuzz bass. So many bands this year at Coachella that I saw at clubs back in the day. Can't wait!

JSam67
02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Please Paul T, give them a full 90 minute set. We don't want a compressed set or a shorten version of You Made Me Realise...

MBV doesn't play a full 90 minutes on their own, Marco. Or at least they didn't in Chicago.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Didn't they have like 75 minute sets on average?

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Didn't they have like 75 minute sets on average?

Yeah basically, so I've heard... 75-90 minutes probably. So I don't think anyone would mind much if they cut out 2 or 3 Isn't Anything or the less-interesting EP tracks. Or at least I wouldn't...

I think giving them 70 minutes is pretty fricking reasonable, considering that's what they gave Portishead last year and Arcade Fire the year before. I think anyone would agree that MBV are more of a "major" subheadliner along those lines, I mean they'll be almost as big of a deal as The Cure are.

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Sometimes probably won't be played although it is a great song really showing Kevin's voice.

by the way, what concert have you cried at?

Hahahaha, well if you must know, check the sig.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
If they cut out anything I'd be hoping for Slow, Thorn and Soon or Cigarette In Your Bed and just keep a limited but almost greatest hits set.

But Arcade Fire really got 70 minutes? That's ridiculous and I'm sure that Portishead got an hour...or maybe that was Kraftwerk.

And I would've cried at a concert last year but I left Prince right before he played Purple Rain. I was only one verse in. Biggest mistake

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah basically, so I've heard... 75-90 minutes probably. So I don't think anyone would mind much if they cut out 2 or 3 Isn't Anything or the less-interesting EP tracks. Or at least I wouldn't...

I think giving them 70 minutes is pretty fricking reasonable, considering that's what they gave Portishead last year and Arcade Fire the year before. I think anyone would agree that MBV are more of a "major" subheadliner along those lines, I mean they'll be almost as big of a deal as The Cure are.

75 minutes would be fine, that's basically what they play with a 20-minute Holocaust. I wouldn't mind if they cut a couple Isn't Anything tracks either, but I'm also hoping to hear Blown a Wish this time around.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Didn't they cut it a few minutes short at Fuji Rock?

And I'm sure they'll cut it shorter at Coachella because it really logical to have 20 minutes of your possibly 60 minute set dedicated to ear-shattering noise?

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately my 08 booklet is lost and gone forever. But according to my 07 booklet on my desk right here, Arcade Fire was the only subheadliner given 70 minutes (Interpol only got 50! sheesh!)

I think there's a thread with all of the old set times on this board though, I'm going to find it and get back to you... hopefully the 08 set times are in there because they matter the most here.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure Kraftwerk and Portishead each got 60 minutes.

So hopefully MBV will get 70 minutes with YYY's with 50-60 minutes and the cure with 2+ hours.

that sounds about right

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes... correction: THE VERVE got 70 minutes. Portishead and the Werk both got 60. So yeah, still possible. If it wasn't for The Cure and their hugeass fucking sets, GRRR! That poses a slight problem here...

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok well I've mentioned this before so tell me what you think:

Lupe Fiasco-4:45-5:35

YYY's-6:00-6:55

My Bloody Valentine-7:30-8:45

The Cure-9:30-12:00

seems reasonable

pancakespancakes
Massive Attack got 70 minutes in 06... and of course, in the waaay old days, Iggy & the Stooges got 70 as well.

JSam67

And I'm sure they'll cut it shorter at Coachella because it really logical to have 20 minutes of your possibly 60 minute set dedicated to ear-shattering noise?

Portishead got 70 last year, I think this is the same sort of subheadliner (name/size-wise), so it'd logical to think they'll get 70. I expect close to a full 20 minutes of that. And after scrolling up, yes, Blown a Wish is near the top of my MBV wish list.

pancakes, you really like Sometimes that much? One of my least favorite songs on Loveless. But I'd looooove to hear What You Want!

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
but they also played before Tool and RHCP

Neither of which play an average of three hours

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok well I've mentioned this before so tell me what you think:

Lupe Fiasco-4:45-5:35

seems reasonable

I think that's basically perfect. The one bummer is YYYs playing in the daylight, which is also sort of a step down for them considering they played the mainstage after dark the last time they were here. But whatever, that's a minor detail.

So just throw Throbbing Gristle on the Mohave or Outdoor from 9:00-10:00 and my Sunday is set!

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM

seems reasonable

Love it.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
technically it won't be daylight considering daylight savings won't happen a week or two until after coachella which leads me to believe that's why Coachella moved the dates up.

and fuck no to TG playing at 9 to 10. however it'll either be that or 7:00 to 8:00 which might be better since I can catch the first half of their set then run over and see MBV and not have to worry about anything else

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
pancakes, do you not like The Cure?

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
pancakes, you really like Sometimes that much? One of my least favorite songs on Loveless. But I'd looooove to hear What You Want!

Yeah, it's one of my favorite songs by anyone, ever... it just means a lot to me I guess. But I could see why you might not like it seeing as it's sort of different when surrounded by the other songs on the album. It's like the token ballad.

But yeah, the second half of that song is like fucking supernatural. And I hope that doesn't sound like some hyperbole. Because that's just the best I can describe it. I think you should try it out a few more times!

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
What You Want and Sometimes are probably my two least favorite off of Loveless

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
pancakes, do you not like The Cure?

I'm a pretty casual fan, but no I'm definitely seeing them, no question of that.

The reason I have Throbbing Gristle from 9-10 is because I just think they need to play after dark. And, seeing as I'm a casual fan of The Cure, but the YYYs are one of my favorite live bands on the planet, I'd much rather them conflict with the first half hour of The Cure's set...

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
It'll be plenty dark by 7 so I can see TG playing at that time especially since if you have that kind of conflict, that would be absolutely terrible which is why I'm hoping for them to be playing the same time as YYY's since I don't have an interest in seeing them

As for conflicts:
MBV or TG?
N/A

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
technically it won't be daylight considering daylight savings won't happen a week or two until after coachella which leads me to believe that's why Coachella moved the dates up.

and fuck no to TG playing at 9 to 10. however it'll either be that or 7:00 to 8:00 which might be better since I can catch the first half of their set then run over and see MBV and not have to worry about anything else

OHH I did not realize this! That is some wonderful news! I always thought they should hold Coachella before daylight savings time. Things are just better after dark.

And why "fuck no"?! Because of The Cure conflict? I personally could not stand missing them for YYYs or vice versa... I'm still not sure who I'd take.

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I still have yet to hear a song by Throbbing Gristle but I'm told I'll like them. YYYs are phenomenal live, so there is no way I'm missing any of those 3 main stage bands on Sunday.

And pancakes, to each his own obviously, but I'm more excited to finally see The Cure than any other band at Coachella or Bonnaroo.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I would love for them to conflict with YYY's then I can watch TG and then go over to the main stage and hopefully get a pretty good spot for MBV and the Cure but I can understand if you don't want that.

As long as they don't cut into MBV significantly then maybe I'll watch most or all of TG but I don't see a big conflicting not emerging out of this

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
What You Want and Sometimes are probably my two least favorite off of Loveless

Wow two people that don't care for Sometimes here? I had actually figured that to be their most famous song. At least it's the one I always hear talked about by other famous musicians who bring up MBV and their influence and stuff. That's what initially turned me onto it.

For me, it's Sometimes and Loomer, and then after that, To Here Knows When and I Only Said... I've never much cared for When You Sleep though, if I had to choose a least favorite. I'm sure they'll play it live and I will be glad when they do.

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
And pancakes, to each his own obviously, but I'm more excited to finally see The Cure than any other band at Coachella or Bonnaroo.

I've honestly just never taken much time to get into them. I feel like I would love them, but I only know the hits. A couple months ago I finally downloaded Disintegration... but it's only in the last few days I've really started listening to it. But I'm worried I'll get to into them now haha and then I will have to miss them for someone else!

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Fuck...I don't like Loomer too much either

To Here Knows When is ok just really odd sounding even for them but my top three are probably: Blown A Wish, Come In Alone and I Only Said

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Ha, Sometimes and Loomer are the only tracks I sometimes skip on Loveless. Come In Alone is their best, and I just hope they do like they did in Chi, Only Shallow --> Come In Alone is a fucking tremendous one-two punch.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I can see it now:

Touched plays over the P.A.
The lights go black...

Only Shallow kicks in and illuminates the Polo Fields with binding strobe lights and it begins.

how amazing would that be?

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I've honestly just never taken much time to get into them. I feel like I would love them, but I only know the hits. A couple months ago I finally downloaded Disintegration... but it's only in the last few days I've really started listening to it. But I'm worried I'll get to into them now haha and then I will have to miss them for someone else!

I won't permit you to not see The Cure. Or at least check out some live videos first, get the DVD Trilogy. Three of their best albums live, easy way to get into them.

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
yeah that's a great DVD.

Defintley worth getting

JSam67
I can see it now:

Touched plays over the P.A.
The lights go black...

Only Shallow kicks in and illuminates the Polo Fields with binding strobe lights and it begins.

how amazing would that be?

I'd be on the ground crying tears of joy (and pain) if this happened.

pancakespancakes
Come In Alone is their best, and I just hope they do like they did in Chi, Only Shallow --> Come In Alone is a fucking tremendous one-two punch.

Holy shit! That is an epic one-two punch! That's not how they opened it though right?

I just love how they've been opening every show with I Only Said. I can't think of a better song myself. And I would have never thought to have opened it that way until I saw that that's what they usually do...

Memorial_07
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
you me and everyone else watching would be bawling like babies

and I've always pictured them opening with Only Shallow just because of the snare at the beginning

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
AHHH FUCK THE LIGHTS

H4kSvfHvUIg

Nothing else will matter this weekend... seriously.

JSam67
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Holy shit! That is an epic one-two punch! That's not how they opened it though right?

I just love how they've been opening every show with I Only Said. I can't think of a better song myself. And I would have never thought to have opened it that way until I saw that that's what they usually do...

It was in the middle of their set, couldn't believe they were played back to back. I Only Said is a great opener, though, you're right.

you me and everyone else watching would be bawling like babies

and I've always pictured them opening with Only Shallowe just because of the snare at the beginning

Me too, Memorial. That was the first MBV song I ever heard and still in many ways the most crushing, imo. Let's hope Kevin thinks it's a solid idea too!

pancakespancakes
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I like I Only Said because it's just such a happy opener. But it's also seems like the epitome of a MBV song. So it really sets the mood. But yeah it's also sort of a weird opener and that's why it's espcially awesome... it catches you off guard and thrusts you right into the set in a split second with no intro or anything. Of course I haven't witnessed it yet so this is all purely speculative.

And in regards to Loomer... it's not really that it's a well-written song, or at least, that's not why I like it. It's just the overall sound of the thing (the production) is in my opinion their all-time finest. Just sort of the ultimate MBV sound in that everything just sounds together as one, the vocals, the guitar, the tape delay, the whatever-the-fuck-those-sounds-are... I think that's sort of where the band's genius lies, in all these different tracks coming together to sound as one in this crazy trippy haze. And I think that track is probably where they're at their best.

But then, Sometimes, that's just their most well written song to me personally. Of course it sounds amazing in headphones as well.

toilet
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Holy shit. I was planning on seeing them anyway but I was completely ignorant to the onslaught of lights.

Wow.

bullcat
02-03-2009, 10:07 PM

There's a really good bootleg of the Fuji Rock set. I found the download link of the MBV forum. Their set was 77 minutes long with 22 minutes being YMMR.

CurableOkie
02-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Been listening to Isn't Anything in my car lately... looking at the setlists above I'm super excited to see they've been closing their shows (right before YMMR) with "Feed Me With Your Kiss" & "Sueisfine". I've been rocking out to Feed Me... so hard, such a great song.

I'm going to personally be dissapointed if I don't get a wall of sound YMMR. That song is just the epitome of classic MBV and I think the wall of sound is the deal sealer, before dropping back into the song and ending it. AHHH! *Runs off to look at live videos*

hansvrijmoed
02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
I have no experience with live-concerts in the US (yet), but are there any restrictions on the sound-volume? I saw MBV playing at the Roskilde festival at earbleeding 130 dB's. Afterwards, I stumbled out of that tent, completely dizzy. If they are allowed to play that loud at Coachella, I suggest you bring earplugs. :)
Apart from that, best show of the year.

sbessiso
02-04-2009, 05:20 AM
I've never ever not even close felt the need to wear earplugs at a show. I'm starting to get really nervous, I plan on getting as close as possible to the stage in anticipation for the cure so I'm probably gunna experience MBV right in my face. I dont wanna be all disoriented by the time Robert Smith comes out. Will the earplugs help?

I'm sooooo curious at this point, I don't think i've ever been to a show where earplugs are the norm

Also, 20 minutes of just noise? Really?

AHHH FUCK THE LIGHTS

H4kSvfHvUIg

Now this is cool

hansvrijmoed
02-04-2009, 05:34 AM
I tried it for a few seconds without the plugs, but that was too much. But it depends on the country if it's necessary to wear them. In the Netherlands the government restricted the volume of live music, so it's usually between 90-108 dB.
I still was able to hear Neil Young and the other bands after MBV that night, but I don't know if that would be the case without the plugs. Anyway, I wear them most of the time anyway to protect my ears (I visit about 3 to 4 concerts a week).

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I like I Only Said because it's just such a happy opener. But it's also seems like the epitome of a MBV song. So it really sets the mood. But yeah it's also sort of a weird opener and that's why it's espcially awesome... it catches you off guard and thrusts you right into the set in a split second with no intro or anything. Of course I haven't witnessed it yet so this is all purely speculative.

And in regards to Loomer... it's not really that it's a well-written song, or at least, that's not why I like it. It's just the overall sound of the thing (the production) is in my opinion their all-time finest. Just sort of the ultimate MBV sound in that everything just sounds together as one, the vocals, the guitar, the tape delay, the whatever-the-fuck-those-sounds-are... I think that's sort of where the band's genius lies, in all these different tracks coming together to sound as one in this crazy trippy haze. And I think that track is probably where they're at their best.

But then, Sometimes, that's just their most well written song to me personally. Of course it sounds amazing in headphones as well.

The first 30 seconds of I Only Said don't seem too happy and for some reason it always reminds of walking through the desert setting when I hear the first few seconds. But if I had it my way it'd start with Only Shallow then into I Only Said

Can't wait to see their light show

and sbessio, someone told me that they're shows are usually 130db so I'm very nervous about having to wear earplugs considering that I want to be pretty close to them but we'll see what it's like

Tylerdurden31
02-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Has anyone seen them outdoors before?

I'm wondering if it'll be nearly as ear-piercing

betao
02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
I've never ever not even close felt the need to wear earplugs at a show. I'm starting to get really nervous, I plan on getting as close as possible to the stage in anticipation for the cure so I'm probably gunna experience MBV right in my face. I dont wanna be all disoriented by the time Robert Smith comes out. Will the earplugs help?

I'm sooooo curious at this point, I don't think i've ever been to a show where earplugs are the norm

Now this is cool

Yes Salah, this is their song You Made Me Realise:

njqRt7PH-5I

The section of "noise" you hear from 1:40 to 2:22 normally lasts anywhere from 15-25 minutes when played live.

Here is what it's like:

K6xZgskezbk&feature=related

You will be able to feel the noise.

sonofhal
02-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I feel very sorry for whoever else is playing the outdoor stage at the same time. Very sorry indeed.

betao
02-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Oh, and I want to hear it go like this:

Lose My Breath -> Come In Alone

my 2 favorite songs back to back.

betao
02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I feel very sorry for whoever else is playing the outdoor stage at the same time. Very sorry indeed.

I think it'd be great if MBV got moved to Saturday and played before The Killers and/or Amy Winehouse. I'd love to see all of the kids that came just for them freak out over some serious noise.

sbessiso
02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes Salah, this is their song You Made Me Realise:

njqRt7PH-5I

The section of "noise" you hear from 1:40 to 2:22 normally lasts anywhere from 15-25 minutes when played live.

Here is what it's like:

K6xZgskezbk&feature=related

You will be able to feel the noise.

Wow. Yes, wow please. That live video made me feel like I was in a spaceship. Maybe im just stoned but I'm excited for them I really am, I dont think I ever wouldve checked them out any other way but Robert Smith and Coachella is TELLING me to experience this band, and I accept.

But seriously, earplugs? I cannot go deaf only minutes before I see the cure

Geno_g
02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
There show was one of my all time greatest shows, YMMR makes you think man music is strong, when I took out my earplugs it's so loud your chest is vibrating, at the LA show it made Katt throw up. I'm not wearing ear plugs because it's outdoors and the sound should travel, in a indoor venue for sure wear the earplugs

hansvrijmoed
02-04-2009, 07:50 AM
There show was one of my all time greatest shows, YMMR makes you think man music is strong, when I took out my earplugs it's so loud your chest is vibrating, at the LA show it made Katt throw up. I'm not wearing ear plugs because it's outdoors and the sound should travel, in a indoor venue for sure wear the earplugs

Depends how close you are to the speakers, I guess. :)
At Roskilde I was in the front of the tent.

I think it'd be great if MBV got moved to Saturday and played before The Killers and/or Amy Winehouse. I'd love to see all of the kids that came just for them freak out over some serious noise.

yes, that would be similar to A Place to Bury Strangers opening up for MGMT in Amsterdam. The first five rows of kids all covering up their ears. :)
By the way, APTBS aims for destroying all your hearing frequencies so definetely wear plugs at their show. :)

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I'll hold onto the earplugs just in case I need them but I'll try to be on the side railing so I can kind of get out of the direct pulsing sound of YMMR

Geno_g
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I took out my plugs at the Concourse show and my hearing is fine, but it was ringing that night for sure, I will have plugs in case but, I'm sure they will be handing them out...

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't mind a little ringing so maybe I'll be fine

Are the kind they hand out at the show pretty decent?

Geno_g
02-04-2009, 11:59 AM
45 dB rating, good the ones I bought were 48 dB, yeah I still have like 5 packs from the MBV show...

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Aren't their shows like 130 db?

hansvrijmoed
02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Aren't their shows like 130 db?

if they are allowed to, yes. That was my original question: are there any limitations on live music in the USA? They won't be allowed to play so loud in the Netherlands if they come this way.

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
In the U.S.A. I don't think there is a maximum amount of DB a band can go and especially since it is outdoors they'll probably have an unlimited amount of how loud they can be

CurableOkie
02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I think I'll go without. I plan on being far from the stage, and I remember listening to Fuck Buttons live last September and having to take out my earplugs because it didn't sound loud enough.

I don't know, for bands that make a lot of noise, I feel like earplugs take away a bit. As everyone else has been saying too, it's outdoors so the sound has somewhere to go.

bmack86
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Until you've actually seen My Bloody Valentine, all this talk of their sound is just hyperbole. They really are massively loud. It's physical, and earplugs are definitely a good idea. I went without and felt a little sick during the holocaust section.

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
but did you feel sick enough to throw up like kitt katt?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM

my money is on them closing down the Outdoor, Gobi and that whateveritscalled dj dome....its not like you will be able to hear anything anyways...

pancakespancakes
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Do any of you guys have good reccomendations for high-quality earplugs I can buy? I have been thinking I should buy some better ones for a long time now. My knowledge of the earplug varieties is squat.

But I figure, between APTBS and this crazy band, I'm going to really want some handy on the polo fields this weekend.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I wonder if they will be handing out ear plugs for this? And will MBV's set time come with a warning?

pancakespancakes
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM

I actually won't be very surprised if they either A) close the outdoor theatre during MBV and The Cure's set, or B) close the outdoor theatre during MBV, but have them closing the mainstage Sunday.

Either way, if there actually is an act playing the Outdoor Theatre at the same time as MBV... they probably won't do their normal volume level. Which would be super lame.

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Someone on another thread mentioned the Etymotics

Maybe I'll give those a try

dorkfish
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Until you've actually seen My Bloody Valentine, all this talk of their sound is just hyperbole. They really are massively loud. It's physical, and earplugs are definitely a good idea. I went without and felt a little sick during the holocaust section.
just for fun, I wiggled my earplugs out during the holocaust section, and it felt like a slap to the face.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
just for fun, I wiggled my earplugs out during the holocaust section, and it felt like a slap to the face.

thats hot...

NightGoat
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
In the U.S.A. I don't think there is a maximum amount of DB a band can go and especially since it is outdoors they'll probably have an unlimited amount of how loud they can be

The threshold of hearing is around 120Db and the human ears can typically be exposed to this level of volume for only a few minutes before damage is inflicted. I'm not sure about national or statewide laws, but in Hollywood clubs are not allowed to hold performances over 120db or they will be fined. However, I don't think a lot of people going to say, the Knitting Factory, are sitting there worrying about the Sound Pressure Level, so I'm sure there's many instances where they get away with being a little over 120 without anyone reporting them. I'm really not sure how they regulate it. Perhaps someone comes to the venue during soundcheck and takes readings with an SPL meter.

Grant
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
To me, it kind of doesn't make sense if you see them and the promoters are handing out earplugs for everybody. If they're gonna be damagingly loud and everyone knows it, couldn't they just turn it down a smidge?

suprefan
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
To me, it kind of doesn't make sense if you see them and the promoters are handing out earplugs for everybody. If they're gonna be damagingly loud and everyone knows it, couldn't they just turn it down a smidge?

No.

NDkXBI05Fh8

More visuals for you Salah (fuji rock) hit high quality

3DEnwUAzPG4

burdt
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
supr, that fuji clip is superb. been listening to it all week. makes me get all giddy inside.

sin213
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
can someone name their two best albums that i could check out?

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Why is the top thing everyone mentions about these guys is their 20 minutes of noise and how loud they are.

The fuck is that about?

suprefan
02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
can someone name their two best albums that i could check out?

They only have 2 albums. and a bunch of e.p.'s. Get Loveless first. And then Isnt Anything, and youll be good. there was a torrent I found with all of it, Im sure youill find it.

Why is the top thing everyone mentions about these guys is their 20 minutes of noise and how loud they are.

The fuck is that about?

Cause thats what we like. If you ears are too P***y s**t to handle, then dont see them and wtch something crappy in the Sahara instead. Wait, you wont be able to hear it cause of how loud they are.

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Cause thats what we like. If you ears are too P***y s**t to handle, then dont see them and wtch something crappy in the Sahara instead. Wait, you wont be able to hear it cause of how loud they are.

lol! SERIOUSLY?

suprefan
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Only one way to find out right?

pancakespancakes
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Brilliance in message board posting.

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Only one way to find out right?

I was referring to your absolutely retarded response, not anything you said about MBV

Robototron
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
lol isn't suprefan the one always jocking Justice and all that shit? So what, he heard MBV last year and is "too good" for the Sahara now that he's discovered two Shoegaze albums?

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I've seen him at multiple electro shows.

Quote that shit for troooof. and supre will always be a douche whenever possible, so this shouldnt be surprising to you.

Geno_g
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I took out my ear plugs during YMMR and left them out for a couple min, to feel the raw power. I was up front right by kevin shields and people around me were shocked when I took them out...

sin213
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
They only have 2 albums. and a bunch of e.p.'s. Get Loveless first. And then Isnt Anything, and youll be good. there was a torrent I found with all of it, Im sure youill find it.

cool, thanx man.

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
OK, once again...im not hating on MBV, just asking why their LOUDNESS is always the thing people are talking about, and not their actual music being amazing, etc?

Mr.Nipples
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
they are in fact the loudest band on earth as far as im concerned. louder than manowar...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
OK, once again...im not hating on MBV, just asking why their LOUDNESS is always the thing people are talking about, and not their actual music being amazing, etc?

their music is beautiful calmer...listen to loveless...Billy Corgan ripped off this album bad for Siamese Dream (and so did numerous other bands). They invented a whole new way of playing guitar...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
they are in fact the loudest band on earth as far as im concerned. louder than manowar...

not the wiki is always right...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudest_band_in_the_world

Decibel records

[edit]

The Who were listed as the "record holder", at 126 dB, measured at a distance of 32 meters from the speakers at a concert at Charlton Athletic Football Ground on 1976-05-31.[2]

[edit]
1984 and 1994

The heavy metal band Manowar is one claimant of the title of "loudest band in the world",[5] citing a measurement of 129.5 dB in 1994 in Hanover.[6] However, Guinness Book of World Records listed Manowar as the record holder for the loudest musical performance for an earlier performance in 1984. Guinness does not recognize Manowar's later claim, because it no longer includes a category of loudest band, reportedly because it does not want to encourage hearing damage.[7][8][9][10] Manowar broke their own record again in 2008 at the Magic Circle Fest with 139dB.[citation needed]

[edit]

Metallica has styled itself the "loudest band in the world". However, after one concert on 1997-11-11, which the band dubbed the "Million Decibel March", the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that "neighbors who [had] feared the worst from the self-styled Loudest Band in the World complained more about the sound from the news choppers circling overhead".[11]

[edit]

British punk band Gallows allegedly broke Manowar's previous record for loudest band in the world, claiming to have achieved 132.5 dB; however, this record was claimed in an isolated studio environment as opposed to live.[12]

[edit]
Other dates

Other previous record holders include Deep Purple (117 decibels), Iron Maiden (1985 Guinness World Book of Records), The Rolling Stones, Motörhead, AC/DC, My Bloody Valentine (132 decibels), and KISS (120 decibels). Although it has never been made official, some reports suggest that New York noise rock band, Swans reached 140 decibels at some gigs.[13][14]

CalmerThanYou
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
their music is beautiful calmer...listen to loveless...Billy Corgan ripped off this album bad for Siamese Dream (and so did numerous other bands). They invented a whole new way of playing guitar...

fair enough...ill give it a whirl.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
fair enough...ill give it a whirl.

Its one of Pattis Smith's favorite records...but it is a little different...she thought something was wrong with her stereo when she 1st heard it...

pancakespancakes
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Yeah, in terms of their live show, that's pretty much they always talk about. But I've been listening to them for about 2 or 3 years or so, and before their whole reunion, I had never read about any of that. My interest in their music was purely in their style of recording and guitar playing. It's a textural thing I think. I'm not good at explaining it. It's like a noise vs. melody thing, how they balance the two in a really weird and awesome way.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
This is interesting

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/student-guide/44911/earning-the-title-of-the-loudest-band-in-ny-time-out-new-york

Student Guide
Time Out New York / Aug 6, 2008
Earning the Title of the Loudest Band in NY - Time Out New York
Time Out New York hits the streets and rehearsals spaces with decibel meters in hand to determine once and for all what band is really the loudest in NYC

By Andrew Parks

Photograph: Michael Kirby

THE SO-CALLED “LOUDEST”
A PLACE TO BURY STRANGERS
Venue Death by Audio rehearsal space, Williamsburg, Brooklyn

The dead-center spot in A Place to Bury Strangers’ rehearsal room has to be the loudest two feet we’ve ever wandered into—kind of like a private wind-tunnel concert with Kevin Shields whipping up a wave of distortion in one corner and ghosts of indie rock’s past mangling psych-pop hooks in the other. Good thing we’re here to test the loudest band in new york claim that’s plastered across the shrink-wrap of APTBS’ self-titled 2007 debut—a loaded tag line that flew off the fingers of an adjective-happy blogger and stuck. Not without merit, either: The band’s latest ten-inch, “To Fix the Gash in Your Head,” exceeded suggested volume levels by so much that it broke the vinyl-pressing plant. We’re armed with a decibel meter and instruction from soundman Baker Lee of Studio Instrument Rentals.

“We’re not trying to impress anyone,” says frontman Oliver Ackermann. “We’re just playing what sounds good to us.” And that does include a certain level of volume.

“Before I joined the band,” explains APTBS bassist Jono MOFO, “something happened to my right ear at one of their shows. Every once in a while, it happens again—this fucking pain where it pops and I can’t hear.” While our plugless ears hold up under a three-song APTBS set, they are treated to some serious guitar-pedal action—shape-shifting riffs that sound like the whoosh of a helicopter one second and the whir of a lawn mower running over rocks the next. Let’s see how three other famously loud New York bands compare.

THE DAMAGE
114dB

THE CHALLENGERS
MOUTHUS
Venue Mouthus’s rehearsal space, Red Hook, Brooklyn

Oh, the things a person can do with a guitar and some effects pedals—especially if that person happens to be Brian Sullivan of Mouthus. Longtime denizens of the underground noise scene, Sullivan and drummer Nate Nelson have been name-dropped by everyone from J Mascis to their sometime label boss Thurston Moore. They are constantly searching for something beyond the distorted, deafening tropes of acts like Wolf Eyes and Merzbow, though. “We could do [noise tracks] until the end of fucking time,” Sullivan says, “but I’m sure people would get bored with it. We certainly would.”

One stereotype he quickly erases is the idea that all noise musicians are simply frying their amps for the fuck of it. A few minutes of watching him churn out unedited chords reveals everything from strangled tones to a low guttural hum that makes us feel kinda funny down there…like a strategically placed cell phone set to vibrate.

THE DAMAGE
110dB

BLACK DICE
Venue Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn

If one New York act is notorious for mushroom-cloud chords, it’s Black Dice. Together since 1997, the band is somewhat tame now—with a dare-we-say danceable sound of crisscrossing synths, but in the early days the Dice had more in common with hardcore punk than anything else. Let’s just say that tales of broken bottles (and faces) were not uncommon.

“It was exciting to have a really confrontational performance,” says multi-instrumentalist Aaron Warren. “But after a while it made sense to refine the music and challenge the audience and ourselves in different ways.” Yeah, like through vomit-inducing volume levels, which apparently peaked at a Richard Phillips art opening in 2001 at Friedrich Petzel Gallery—a gig Warren remembers as “probably our loudest show ever. It was a tiny room and we had just started using power heads for our amps.”

These days, Warren insists that “loudness is more about the physical feeling than the aural spectrum.” Meanwhile, our meter equates these guys with a pipe bomb to the gut, but the racket is rhythmic enough to reveal what terrible dancers we are.

THE DAMAGE
121dB

PSYCHIC ILLS
Venue Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn

While the band’s shows used to embody the title of its 2006 EP, Early Violence, Psychic Ills has since fallen into a realm of groove-riding bliss. “I prefer volume as a means of engagement rather than a repellent,” says frontman Tres Warren. “I’ve heard communications between birds, insects and lizards in a Mexican jungle that pushed my mind’s ear beyond human or amplified sound.” While that may be true, Psychic Ills has played its fair share of deafening shows. “One time, some crazy barged in with flailing arms,” recalls bassist Elizabeth Hart. “He came up and tried to turn our amps down. I gathered that he was offended by the volume, but I couldn’t hear what he was saying.” Not so much L-O-U-D as a never-ending loop of shimmering chords, Psychic Ills reminds us why gravity bongs are a great idea sometimes.

THE DAMAGE
112dB

THE WINNER
According to our decibel-meter measurements, A Place to Bury Strangers is not the loudest band in New York. Black Dice is—by an earth-shaking seven decibels on average. What do the dethroned champs have to say about that? “It’s not about decibel levels,” counters MOFO, smiling. “It’s about making ears bleed.”

I have seen Black Dice and while it was loud and mezmerizing...I don't remember it being that loud...

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM

I've been waiting for someone to say this.

Thank you. you have now made my day.

and I've been reading about the whole loudness thing and I think I can sum it up:

They play amazing music and it is added on by how fucking loud it is.

get it?

amazing and very (VERY) loud

case closed

sbessiso
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm really nervous. I probably shouldn't be, but I am

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Me too salah.

I am only 16 and I'm going to need my hearing for years to come

I don't want my ear's lifespan to be cut short

Cdubby
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
pfft wear ear plugs and your fine...i was front row dead center and no ringing whatsoever after the show. using these bad girls

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

WilliamTaft
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
as long as you wear earplugs you'll be fine. i was at the rail, directly in front of Bilinda, and i kept my plugs in, and afterwards my ears only rang for like 4 hours. afterward, no issues. just keep them in and you have nothing to worry about.

sbessiso
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not worried about long term effects. Fuck that. It's more of a "Is MBV gunna fuck me up and make me throw up while I'm tripping and rolling and fuck up my hearing for the night only minutes before I finally get to see one of my favorite bands of all time?" type thing

Cdubby
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
No. I dont know how the fuck people threw up from this...I had no issues at all. Do you get car sick or whatever? I dont get that shit either, maybe there is a connection.

Geno_g
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
My hearing is fine even after the 2-3 min abuse from the noise holocaust, like everyone said wear earplugs and your fine, and the -45 to -48dB ear ratings your fine, 130+dB - 45dB = 85dB you will be fine...

I was not nauseous at all, I was on some very good roll and was in utter amazement in what I heard and saw...

esy191
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't know if anyone was at Lollapalooza this year and got a chance to see Battles, but that kick drum was the loudest thing I have ever experienced. I was right in front of the stage and every time John Stanier pounded on that thing, it felt like it was taking a year off of my hearing. I'll be deaf by 50 thanks to you Battles.

By the way... it was worth it. They killed.

Sorry to derail your thread, back to MBV.

Memorial_07
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I too am nervous about throwing up and feeling sick. I don't want to have to leave early if I get sick from the thumping sound of their set along with their visuals.

but I'm defintley getting those er-20 earplugs.

Gotta play it safe

filthpig
02-07-2009, 12:30 AM
i just hope they play some other shows on their way to coachella, then i don't have to go. they are the only band i need to see. pull a kraftwerk guys and come to denver on your way out.

Jman4321
02-07-2009, 03:18 AM
The loudness thing gets talked up a bit much I think too. I loved their show because I thought the songs were beautiful. The volume helped during "From Here Knows When" because it made the sound appear to envelop you but otherwise I didn't find the volume to be that over the top, besides the ending. Yeah loudness was a big portion but when I got home that wasn't what I remembered most fondly.

Edit: I also only wore earplugs for the final song and was dead center about 15 feet back. That could be ascribed to the hearing damage I've probably done to myself from going to a lot of shows but a lot of people around me were without plugs as well. It's really nothing to think about.

NightGoat
02-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Their songs are really well done and atmospheric and I think the effect will increase with volume. The whole loudness thing has me intrigued. I think that a live show utilizing the actual physical properties of sound can be entirely hypnotic and engaging. I'm hoping I can feel the music as well as hear it. I will wear ear plugs though, I don't want my hearing destroyed.

Memorial_07
02-07-2009, 07:53 AM
their music (shoegazing in general) has always seemed to me that it must be played at a high volume and MBV shows that better than any band of the genre

betao
02-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't know if anyone was at Lollapalooza this year and got a chance to see Battles, but that kick drum was the loudest thing I have ever experienced. I was right in front of the stage and every time John Stanier pounded on that thing, it felt like it was taking a year off of my hearing. I'll be deaf by 50 thanks to you Battles.

By the way... it was worth it. They killed.

Sorry to derail your thread, back to MBV.

Dude, when I saw Battles last year, my friends and I got front row right infront of the drumset. That thing was LOUD. Trust me, I feel your pain.

razorblade
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I pulled a 118 db reading off of a Ministry Show in 1987.

It was for The Land of Rape and Honey tour, and was at Piranha Room in San Diego on Labor Day. They brought in sixteen Turbosounds with a bridged 500w amp per cabinet for this little dive bar. During rehearsal they were tapping 118.

It was seriously painful in those confines. Still the loudest show I have ever seen.

Memorial_07
02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I saw Ministry on their farewell tour, and it wasn't as loud as I was hoping. I wasn't in the front row but they had a good amount of bass going. Easily had to have been 100db

Malachi the Toad
02-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Also, how loud they are is part of why they're so amazing. The feedback made by playing so loud is part of the music. It fleshes out their songs and makes their music different than just straight ahead pop. Seeing it live is really where this will become clear, but listening to Loveless as loud as possible can help.

WilliamTaft
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
their music (shoegazing in general) has always seemed to me that it must be played at a high volume and MBV shows that better than any band of the genre

yeah. for some reason, i actually strongly dislike most shoegaze. My Bloody Valentine has been one of my favorite bands for the past 7 years, and a HUGE influence on me. but for some reason, most other shoegaze bands are just crap in my opinion.

Slowdive rocks too, i really like Slowdive, but there are heaps of other bands that just think that if they distort 100 guitars and basses and play some typical calm melody with boring moaning vocals and think that they're really onto something.

the thing is, all these groups are trying to rip off kevin, but they're not even ripping him off right. a lot of people talk about the layers in MBV's loveless, but if you listen close, and i even read an interview confirming this, there are rarely more than 3 guitars going on at the same time. and his fuzz distortion is actually kind of tamed on records. there's so much restraint on these things that are often uncontrolled and chaotic, and that's what makes it great. these other shoegaze bands, and the modern bands that try to be shoegaze ("newgaze") just think "ok, well, MBV distorted everything to hell, and had a lot of layers, so let's do that!" ew.

it's all about moderation. and MBV got it right.

Memorial_07
02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't like shoegazing either but Jesus and Mary Chain and MBV are great.

But Kevin does it right. One guitar and a lot of fuzz live. On records, that sound is made by just that and it's all about how you use it to get it correct

WilliamTaft
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
oh yeah i forgot JAMC. i love them too. have you heard Slowdive? Souvlaki is a great album. or at least the first 8 tracks and the 10th track are great. the later half of the album is all ambient stuff...
it's like my bloody valentine, but "sweeter".

Memorial_07
02-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I've heard of Slowdive but I've never heard their music

When it comes to shoegaze, I prefer slower more melodic stuff. so I'll probably like that album

WilliamTaft
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I've heard of Slowdive but I've never heard their music

When it comes to shoegaze, I prefer slower more melodic stuff. so I'll probably like that album

yeah you'll really dig it then. it's mostly centered around keyboard, acoustic guitar, and a clean-tone guitar with maybe just like reverb or flanger on it sometimes, or just light overdrive. their sound fills up the space just as well as MBV, but a swirling, heavenly keyboard takes the role of where a fuzz guitar normally would. get Souvlaki soon, it won't disappoint.

here are two highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol787NjpBS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0LIO138Z-A

amyzzz
02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Heh, I like most shoegaze, and I like MBV almost the least, but I still want to see them live.

betao
02-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Slowdive rocks too, i really like Slowdive, but there are heaps of other bands that just think that if they distort 100 guitars and basses and play some typical calm melody with boring moaning vocals and think that they're really onto something.

Slowdive is amazing. I've always believed that they (and maybe Lush) are the only bands from the 90s that have come closest to recreating the astonishingly beautiful sound that is Loveless.

For anyone who has never heard Slowdive, here is a good song to start with. It's their self-titled song, "Slowdive":

JzVwpibI8uY