PDA

View Full Version : Explain Coachella

jaydeeshanti
01-31-2009, 03:54 AM
So I'm coming from London to the festival and I'm wondering what its going to be like. I suppose Im a bit of a glastonbury veteran (10 years) and Coachella looks pretty differrent, ie I'm used to prodigious amounts of cider anywhere on site rather than these mysterious drinking cages. What else is different? I'm a sad bastard who is planning already, but make like a boy scout I say and be prepared!

Amneeziac
02-01-2009, 04:28 AM
1. Americans are stupid, don't expect them to be honest, kind, or helpful in any way, shape, or form. We are all out to get whatever we can out of you and dispose of you as quickly as possible.

2. Replace prodigious amounts of cider with prodigious amounts of drugs. If you can get through the dance tent without four syringes sticking out of your arms, you have no arms.

3. You shouldn't go if you're going for the music. You should go to take lots of pictures of yourself wearing a fashionable outfit and sunglasses, and so you can tell all your friends you went. The two go together quite nicely.

4. The drinking cages are a trap. No really, once you go in, they don't let you back out. Everybody in America is an alcoholic, so they know they'll make a lot of money this way.

5. If you see Silversun Pickups, if the lead singer looks into your eyes, all of the money you own in and out of bank accounts will disappear forever.

rskapcat
02-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Between the phrase "mysterious drinking cages" and Amneesiac's response, this is the best thing I've read all morning.

It's hot in Indio. Really hot. And it's a dry heat on top of that. While some people visit the mysterious drinking cages all day, it would be wise to skip them until the sun is down, if you visit them at all. Supposedly you can see whatever stage is near the cage, but my husband (who loves his beer) didn't even bother.

Memorial_07
02-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Coachella is a shitty fucking city that everyone hates.

Coachella Festival is the greatest festival in the world
Finished

suprefan
02-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Its Glasto, but cleaner, a third of the amount of people, no mud, and sunny days to last you a lifetime. And you get to see all your fave u.k. artists for half price.

AbundantChoice
02-01-2009, 08:34 AM
There'll be no rain and mud at Coachella. It's actually quite beautiful; polo fields surrounded by palm tree farms with small mountains off on the south horizon. The sunsets are epic.

Also, people don't sing along as much as they do at Glasto. And less of those annoying flag-banner things that get in everyone's way.

ivankay
02-01-2009, 08:45 AM
These are my attempts to explain last year:

Coachella 2008, Thursday Camping Pictures (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20068)

Coachella 2008, Day 1 (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20423)

Coachella 2008, Day 2 (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21113)

Coachella 2008, Day 3 (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25254)

brando4n82
02-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Coachella 2008, Thursday Camping Pictures (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20068)

Best post I've seen in a week or so

Bud Luster
02-01-2009, 11:10 AM
just noticed your Giving Tree avatar. nice.

emtgreg
02-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Just because he goes to Glasto doesnt mean we have to be so damn nice...

god guys, you are all making me gag...

anyways, best part about coachella for a brit?

its always AMERICA, HALF OFF :D

sonofhal
02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Its Glasto, but cleaner, a third of the amount of people, no mud, and sunny days to last you a lifetime. And you get to see all your fave u.k. artists for half price.

Half Price?

Coachella Ticket = 230 (inc fees without camping) - Festival = 3 days.
Glasto Ticket = 160 (inc fees and camping) - Festival = 5 days.

Coachella Beer = 5.60 for small one
Glasto Beer = 3.50 for a pint.

Coachella Acts = 120
Glasto Acts = 1200

Oh, and 350 for a flight too.

sacleonard
02-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Amazing.

I forwarded this link to friends to entice them to make the trip in 2009.
Thanks for sharing.

Rockstarboy37
02-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Coachella is about the art, the music, and the experience. You can walk around all day and never get bored.

Its extremely hot but luckily they have an area where they spray everybody with water and you can watch D.J.s at the same time. There's a show that goes with it as well.There's not much clouds in the sky and very little trees if any on the polo field. Thats why they have tents and art you can just sit under for shade.

Also all the art is interactive and you'll be surprised with all the things you'll see there.

The food is overpriced and horrible. The beer is overpriced too.

Some stages are for specific acts, like the Sahara tent. You'll hear a lot about that.

if you get bored of one band just walk around and find another, it's that simple.

Sometimes there's big conflicts between certain bands playing at the same time and the distance between the tents is a pretty decent walk. If you're not completely worn out by the end of the day I'm just amazed.

And it's really hot.

p.s. Drink LOTS of water, and probably not smart to drink alcohol at the beginning of the day either.

I think that's about it. It gets pretty crowded when everybody leaves at the end of the night.

ivankay
02-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Amazing.

I forwarded this link to friends to entice them to make the trip in 2009.
Thanks for sharing.

cool. i hope it works.

jonnysparkplugs
02-02-2009, 06:14 AM
everyone's photos make Coachella look very clean! i can't wait to go!

as long as I don't get killed/raped by a man/see the yeah yeah yeahs i think I'll have a great time...

slurpee
02-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Coachella = Hot sun early in the season.

One of the great reasons I love Coachella is escaping the last part of cold weather/winter.

Chicago gets very cold in the winter. By the time Coachella happens, I am sooooo ready to be outside and enjoy normal weather.

erniemm
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
It's an amazing experience (and a pricy one) if you are not from the US bt totally worth it. You'll need to drink water, a lot. Try not to party that hard until afternoon cause you'll we worn out by the end of the day. Try some of the smaller tents, you could catch the next arcade fire.

COACHELLA 2009! A huevo! Sir Paul McCartney!

amyzzz
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
WEAR SUNSCREEN and bring a hat and/or sunglasses.

drewdrewdrew
02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Alright, heres a typical day. You wake up at 8 am because its already like 105. Then you eat some shit from the cooler and sit outside under an umbrella for like four hours, while people walkpast and offer you drugs. If you are me, you will smoke at least twice inside the tent then come back out and sit in the chairs under the umbrella. Then you go inside the festival and watch some of the bands until around sunset, then the weather becomes tolerable and its the greatest time of your life!
hahahaha

davidbarr
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Half Price?

Coachella Ticket = 230 (inc fees without camping) - Festival = 3 days.
Glasto Ticket = 160 (inc fees and camping) - Festival = 5 days.

Coachella Beer = 5.60 for small one
Glasto Beer = 3.50 for a pint.

Coachella Acts = 120
Glasto Acts = 1200

Oh, and 350 for a flight too.

Well done for reminding them, it seems some haven't noticed for them it's actually: UK - 1/3 off! Perhaps the economic downturn hasn't been reported on the news in the US,

algunz
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Coachella is about the art, the music, and the experience. You can walk around all day and never get bored.

Its extremely hot but luckily they have an area where they spray everybody with water and you can watch D.J.s at the same time. There's a show that goes with it as well.There's not much clouds in the sky and very little trees if any on the polo field. Thats why they have tents and art you can just sit under for shade.

Also all the art is interactive and you'll be surprised with all the things you'll see there.

The food is overpriced and horrible. The beer is overpriced too.

Some stages are for specific acts, like the Sahara tent. You'll hear a lot about that.

if you get bored of one band just walk around and find another, it's that simple.

Sometimes there's big conflicts between certain bands playing at the same time and the distance between the tents is a pretty decent walk. If you're not completely worn out by the end of the day I'm just amazed.

And it's really hot.

p.s. Drink LOTS of water, and probably not smart to drink alcohol at the beginning of the day either.

I think that's about it. It gets pretty crowded when everybody leaves at the end of the night.

I read this and knew immediately that you were 12. Adorable. :winkiss

CalmerThanYou
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
its neat.

Rockstarboy37
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I read this and knew immediately that you were 12. Adorable. :winkiss

Aren't you a sweet little bitch today.

algunz
02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
If you knew, you'd know that was meant in an endearing way, rockstar.

Rockstarboy37
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Same to you hahah

my mistake.

flowbee
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
It's hot in Indio. Really hot. And it's a dry heat on top of that.

I thought dry heat was a good thing. Wet heat in 90-100 degree weather would suck. It's not that bad overall.

emtgreg
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
The heat and dryness is amazing for my voice and lungs and nasal cavities and such.

Of course, my cavities and such are immediately filled with dust, but that is another matter...

raytrade
02-04-2009, 01:07 AM
There'll be no rain and mud at Coachella. It's actually quite beautiful; polo fields surrounded by palm tree farms with small mountains off on the south horizon. The sunsets are epic.

Also, people don't sing along as much as they do at Glasto. And less of those annoying flag-banner things that get in everyone's way.

Yeah, what is with Europeans and their need to wave flags at every event? And you're right, every UK concert video I see shows the audience singing along loudly, something Americans don't do nearly as much.

natelan
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
So I'm coming from London to the festival and I'm wondering what its going to be like. I suppose Im a bit of a glastonbury veteran (10 years) and Coachella looks pretty differrent, ie I'm used to prodigious amounts of cider anywhere on site rather than these mysterious drinking cages. What else is different? I'm a sad bastard who is planning already, but make like a boy scout I say and be prepared!

You're going to be disapointed, my British friend.

emtgreg
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
nate, you are the one that doesnt like most of the bands that play at coachella...

so your insistence that someone who might have taste is going to be disappointed, seems odd to me...

karecares
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
bring saline solution for contacts if you wear them. bring saline nasal spray for your sinus. it's very dry. oh and the desert does get cold at night, people always tell you about the extreme heat but pack a sweatshirt if your camping

rskapcat
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought dry heat was a good thing. Wet heat in 90-100 degree weather would suck. It's not that bad overall.

I'm used to a little more humidity, so I have to drink at least a gallon of water a day to combat the dryness at Coachella.

bobert
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Since many people disregarded the fact that you've been to a music festival before when responding to your post ("there's more than one stage, dude") I'll try and list the ways that Coachella will be different from what you've come to expect at Glastonbury.

Things You'll Like:

1) Less people. Coachella has less than half the attendance that Glasto does. More space, more comfort, easier to get around. Last year I booked ass from another stage and to catch Portishead's set - got there right as they came on and watched their performance from maybe 200 feet from stage. Would've had to camp out there all day to get that spot at Glastonbury.
2) Been stated before, but no mud, not even any crab grass. Just finely groomed polo-pitch as far as the eye can see.
3) Better looking women. No offense to UK dames, but they've got nothing on SoCal women. Plus it's hot, so clothing is minimal. Candy for the eyes.
4) Amazing variety of food - at least by English standards. Again, don't mean to insult your country, but you're not known for your culinary mastery.

Things You Won't Like:

1) The "drinking cages." They suck, no getting around that, but I'm sure it's necessary for insurance purposes. Look on the bright side: it's a good place to meet people, and at least there's no limit on how many you can buy. At All Points West last year every able-bodied drinker had a 5 beer maximum. Now that fuckin blows.
2) The beer. Hope you like Heineken - that's all they serve. If you're used to swilling pints of cider and dark ale than you probably won't be too excited to pay $7 for 12ounces of "piss lager" as I've heard it described by some your fellow countrymen.
3) The no-alcohol policy at the camp ground. Everyone still drinks, but beer is problematic to get in, so if that's your favorite drink than you may be out of luck.
4) About half the people attending aren't camping. While this isn't necesarily a bad thing (people generally smell better) there's less of the down-in-the-dirt "we're all in this together" type comradery you feel at other festivals.

So basically all of your annoyances will be alcohol related - get past that and you'll have a blast. Everything else about the festival is top-notch.

agentapplejuice
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
1. Americans are stupid, don't expect them to be honest, kind, or helpful in any way, shape, or form. We are all out to get whatever we can out of you and dispose of you as quickly as possible.

2. Replace prodigious amounts of cider with prodigious amounts of drugs. If you can get through the dance tent without four syringes sticking out of your arms, you have no arms.

3. You shouldn't go if you're going for the music. You should go to take lots of pictures of yourself wearing a fashionable outfit and sunglasses, and so you can tell all your friends you went. The two go together quite nicely.

4. The drinking cages are a trap. No really, once you go in, they don't let you back out. Everybody in America is an alcoholic, so they know they'll make a lot of money this way.

5. If you see Silversun Pickups, if the lead singer looks into your eyes, all of the money you own in and out of bank accounts will disappear forever.

Thank you. You just made my night hahaha

freshdirect
02-08-2009, 11:30 PM
everyone is really friendly. just watch out for the hipsters.

thewindowliquor
02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
everyone is a hipster. just watch out for everyone.

fixed

Mickjagger00
01-09-2010, 11:43 PM

4. The drinking cages are a trap. No really, once you go in, they don't let you back out. Everybody in America is an alcoholic, so they know they'll make a lot of money this way

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Mickjagger00
01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
is their anything esle we should know?

electrolush
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
whenever people ask me what coachella is, i will only tell them one thing: IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

Suffacated
01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Good answer :)

BROKENDOLL
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/MY%20CREATIVE%20MIND/IMGP2510-1.jpg

darkjustice
01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
coachella is fun

daftsquirrel
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Coachella is one of the best things you will ever experience! It is an interactive music and arts playground that keeps you smiling all day long. The only thing you could ever worry about is a conflict between bands and most people are there for the same reason so you feel connected with thousands.

Coachella is my happy place.

mriley9
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM

you're an idiot

Drewski27
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
nice fiirst post dude.

amyzzz
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Amneziac's post has me :rotfl

BROKENDOLL
10-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Amneziac probably doesn't even remember posting that...

anrique
12-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Well, Coachella Wonderful festival. In Which all people gather together, and celebrate each other. People are never bored and forget this Festival Moments.