PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Desert Sun article

Boourns
01-31-2009, 04:45 AM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20090131/EVENTS17/901310318/-1/newsfront

Paul McCartney headlining festival

Bruce Fessier • The Desert Sun • January 31, 2009

Paul McCartney headlines the 10th annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival lineup announced Friday.
Advertisement

But founder Paul Tollett isn't expecting the former Beatle to lead an anniversary party with a look back at “Yesterday.”

Tollett, head of the AEG Live subsidiary, Goldenvoice, said he ignored the milestone when booking the festival, running April 17-19 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio.

And to fans who question McCartney's indie music cred, Tollett says the rock legend continues a Coachella programming tradition.

“I want people who go to Coachella to look back and say the years they've gone to Coachella they've seen the freshest up-and-coming artists and music history all at the same time,” said Tollett. “I think if you look back and you've got Prince and Radiohead and Roger Waters and Rage (Against the Machine) — you're really hitting a lot of the big things (in music history).”

More than 115 bands are scheduled to perform, including a mix of hip-hop, electronica and indie artists.

But McCartney's appearance has already generated heated comments about the lineup and the cost of tickets — ranging from $99 for single days to $269 for three days, plus fees.

“I guess some people care about this (festival), but, Paul McCartney? Is it an oldies festival or is it alternative?” asked KCLB-FM DJ Mike Trash, named Best Radio Personality by Desert Sun readers in 2008.

“What exactly is it nowadays? It's morphed into... It seems like they just want money.”

Christina Reyes, vocalist/keyboardist of the alt band Caxton, playing in Indio on Thursday, was most excited by The Cure as Day 3 headliners.

Reyes, who attended last year's festival, said, “This year's Coachella lineup is more eclectic than any other year, bridging a huge gap of eras.”

Tollett said Grammy-winner Amy Winehouse could be the big story of the festival.

“I think this is her first (Southern California) appearance since she played Coachella (in 2007),” said Tollett. “So much has happened since, I think that's an incredible one.”

One of the big rumors before Friday's start of ticket sales was that the festival might feature a reunion of The Smiths, led by vocalist Morrissey.

But Tollett said he didn't try to book the band this year.

“Morrissey has a new record coming out, so, I didn't even ask,” he said. “I heard the record. I like it.”

Morrissey will appear on Friday's bill with McCartney, fellow '60s artist Leonard Cohen and Franz Ferdinand, who performed at the 2006 festival.

Winehouse will appear on Saturday with The Killers, who became pop stars after their 2004 Coachella appearance and hit single, “Somebody Told Me.”

Tollett said the Las Vegas band landed the headliner slot because they reflect how the tent venues at Coachella serve as a breeding ground for talented new artists.

“I'm excited about them,” he said. “They're the first band to go from a tent early in the day to a headliner. There are not many bands capable of doing that.”

But Tollett says McCartney could make Coachella history.

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 04:51 AM
intresting. def agree on the artist/money aspect and this years coachella being an era gap, so true.

one2fast
01-31-2009, 04:59 AM
and the man has spoken agree with him 100%
cant wait for the killers
get over seeing tha damn lame basment jaxx and other non happening acts already guys

captncrzy
01-31-2009, 06:02 AM
They are adding sahara acts, stupid asshole. Those with taste will be over in the Sahara watching the Chems or the Jaxx or whoever it is; you can watch the glitter poseurs.

anti-square
01-31-2009, 06:46 AM
I like that he just says 'Rage' for RATM. I would like to add that last year he was hyping Kraftwerk Portishead as headliners before adding The Symbol. Then again, they are this years Jack Johnson and could get away with headlining that day.

Quadromarshia
01-31-2009, 06:49 AM
I love your signature!

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
and the man has spoken agree with him 100%
cant wait for the killers
get over seeing tha damn lame basment jaxx and other non happening acts already guys

Dude, GO FUCK YOURSELF. I hope you get hit by a car before Coachella.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
so the Killers are the sure headliners on Saturday? Where is that flow chart for Sat Headliners?

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-31-2009, 07:37 AM
so the Killers are the sure headliners on Saturday? Where is that flow chart for Sat Headliners?

the real headliner for saturday will the Chemical Brothers :)

unknowndrummer66
01-31-2009, 07:47 AM
god i hate you hipsters, i cant believe you would rather see some lame ass no talent *** pushing buttons on his laptop than to see someone play actual instruments and use them to make great songs, because its more "relevant"

im sorry you didnt radiohead :[[[
im sorry you didnt get smiths :[[[[[[[[[[
im sorry you got morriessey

but you got paul mccartney
someone who is 897698757487578 times better than those miserable fucks

yea i said it

better than radiohead

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-31-2009, 07:51 AM
god i hate you hipsters, i cant believe you would rather see some lame ass no talent *** pushing buttons on his laptop than to see someone play actual instruments and use them to make great songs, because its more "relevant"

im sorry you didnt radiohead :[[[
im sorry you didnt get smiths :[[[[[[[[[[
im sorry you got morriessey

but you got paul mccartney
someone who is 897698757487578 times better than those miserable fucks

yea i said it

better than radiohead

Dude, go put a tampax on.

anti-square
01-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Haha. Troll

unknowndrummer66
01-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Dude, go put a tampax on.

my flows are abnormally heavy, only thing i can really use are asian babies and shitty radiohead albums(in rainbows and amnesiac mostly....mostly) to clog that cooter down

unknowndrummer66
01-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Haha. Troll

no trolls look to provoke and never mean what they say

thats from the heart <3

anti-square
01-31-2009, 08:15 AM
my flows are abnormally heavy

This could have been a start to a great rhyme.

Gribbz
01-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Dude, GO FUCK YOURSELF. I hope you get hit by a car before Coachella.

No shit.

Gribbz
01-31-2009, 08:22 AM
unknowndrummer66 PMSing>The Killers.

sbessiso
01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
If it's true what Paul said, and he never even tried to get the smiths together that just shows you how fucking ridiculous these rumors are. Hell, I even believed for a second that the smiths were gunna be there

C DUB YA
01-31-2009, 08:59 AM
The Killers are fine... a bit douchey, but fine by me.

but they still AREN'T fucking headliners... never will be. Of course Paul T will say they are cuz he's got tickets to sell. But we all know there is only one day with a lame headliner this year, and it ain't Firday or Sunday.

JustSteve
01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
If it's true what Paul said, and he never even tried to get the smiths together that just shows you how fucking ridiculous these rumors are. Hell, I even believed for a second that the smiths were gunna be there

it was hard to watch some of the bs being spewed, but kinda funny at times. this internet thing isn't always all it's cracked up to be...

Jon Blazed
01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
How fucking excited are the folks that live in the Coachella Valley? Could you imagine Paul McCartney playing in your backyard?

shotglass75
01-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Let's face it The Killers are this years Jack Johnson. Oh well.

Are you telling me that all of you who complained about Jack Johnson last year didn't have a good time on Friday night someplace else? I know I had a blast. Same thing will happen on Saturday. Maybe I'll be at The Killers, maybe I'll be in the tent or The Outdoor. At this point in the game, if you actually think you are going to not have fun at Coachella this year, you might very well be retarded.

Anyone have the link where Dani said there will be dance act additions?

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I'll agree it is the most eclectic because of the addition of harder-edged acts as compared to the majority of indie acts each year and the Killers are totally a cash grab this year to bring in more scenesters

sad truth

Boourns
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
I definitely agree it's cool when Gobi Tent acts end up getting really big, even if I personally don't care for the Killers and Amy Winehouse.

butitdidhappen
01-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah. The Killers then the Cure is a really fucking lame way to close out Saturday and Sunday. Is anyone really excited to see the Cure headline (another) festival?

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Shut the fuck up about the Cure.

The Killers are lame but I'm sure if you watch the Cure you'll say "Oh shit, this is great!"

Stop complaining

ToddThaGod
01-31-2009, 09:42 AM
The Cure is depressing

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 09:44 AM
so are the Smiths but we're anxious to see them

microcuts
01-31-2009, 09:58 AM
The Cure is depressing

I'm guessing you know maybe one song by the band from that statement. The Cure are a dichotomy. They make extremely harrowing, gut-wrenchingly sad music. They also make fluffy light pop music. They make heavy rock music. They dabbled in some experimental music in the 80's that Radiohead probably wishes they were around for. They recently stopped using synthesizers on stage for the first time, pretty much ever in their career. Constantly changing, pushing, and thinking outwards.

You just can't just throw one descriptive word at a band with 13 studio albums, 30 years, and several musical genres under their belts.

sbessiso
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
I love you^^

hendrixfan143
01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
im excited for the cure. but then again im one of the few who have yet to see them

Stickjohn
01-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe the booking changed some when the festival was extended to three days? Might "dilute" the pure oh-so-indieness for some people but it does make financial sense, which helps everyone - Goldenvoice, the artists, us. I personally have no interest in StageCoach and adding country acts to Coachella probably wouldn't have gone over well, but adding a second festival and reusing much of the same set-up was a brilliant idea. I think extending the length and adding some SELECT well-known "grizzled" people like Roger Waters or Paul McCartney and booking some "formerly indie" bands that have achieved mainstream success (Death Cab? Franz Ferdinand? Sigur Ros?) only strengthens the festival. It's called evolution.

microcuts
01-31-2009, 10:05 AM
I love you^^

*blush*

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
im excited for the cure. but then again im one of the few who have yet to see them

I've yet to see them either and I'm sure as hell excited