PDA

View Full Version : 10th anniversary

manila
01-31-2009, 01:33 AM
This year's lineup seems pretty legit to me as it generally reflects both the new and old. And since everyone keeps talking/ complaining about the headliners. I think Macca and the Cure seem like a good choice to commemorate its anniversary since they have withstood the test of time. I don't necessarily think it is turning into "oldchella" with Leonard Cohen, MBV, Public Enemy and Morrissey. I think they just want some acts that have already established themselves, where no matter how crappy future albums may turn out...people will still love them and remember the legend that they were. Where years from now, you can look back at Coachella's 10th anniversary and say...I've seen some of the greatests artists in music during those 3 days in 2009. Heck, not all the bands discovered at Coachella last more than 5 years.

As for Saturday...we all know the Killers are temp until they release whatever epic old band. The Killers are too new to be considered as an anniversary headliner. I don't care whether you like them or not. But seriously...I just think they are too young. I used to love the Killers, but can't stand them anymore. Probably coz I'm no longer in high school. Saturday's lineup is mostly (fairly) new bands. I think we'll have someone just as old and established as Macca on that day.

anywho...I don't really know what my point in starting this thread was. I apologize. But don't hate.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

skavron
01-31-2009, 02:32 AM
I can hear the crickets man! Good topic, can't figure out why people hasn't flamed you/contributed on this thread yet.

Well, supposedly it was never Paul T's intention to 'celebrate' Coachella's 10th year (9th anniversary though)... buuuut, I look at the line up again and again and like you said, they are connecting two ages with supreme level acts, plus more to come. That could not be a simple casuality, could it?

I disagree on your saturday's late addition, I think it will be a strong 90's rock band (not that I see these viable, but just as example: Soundgarden, NIN, Jane's Addiction, Primus, No Doubt).

And also, my guess is that they will be adding at least two more heavy Sahara acts. Basement Jaxx/Chemical Brothers/Armin Van Buuren? We'll see how this finally turns out in the couple of weeks.