PDA

View Full Version : Strange Coachella Artists

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I understand they like variety but i found it weird when I saw Mastadon, Billy Talent and Ghengis Tron on the list.

Cool though I like mastadon. Just Not what i expect from coachella.

what did u guys find to be a strange add on to coachella this year?

shephard fairey? haha ( I wanna see that)

JoshTheBoyd
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
aggrolites, but im so down

benhur
01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Throbbing Gristle are fucking weird.....i think i would be scared to be in thier crowd, weird as fuck

nil_by_mouth
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Throbbing Gristle are fucking weird.....i think i would be scared to be in thier crowd, weird as fuck

TG is a very odd pick for the festival - even more so given that it's daylight.

Their performances are a big deal, if you're into that sort of thing, so it's pretty amazing that they have come out of the closet for this.

Failed State
01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
It doesn't get much stranger than Throbbing Gristle, those dudes and there stage antics scare me.

Donaldj
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I never would have expected a Throbbing Gristle booking in a million years. I'm not a fan and I really have no idea how their show is going to go over at Coachella. They have a fan base for sure but the question is will that fan base come out for them because they are not a band that is going to appeal to the majority of the patrons of Coachella.

Xenocide
01-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Throbbing Gristle will be in the same slot as Aphex Twin, confusing all the dance kids on E & DEF causing bad trips for anybody foolish enough to bake or fry on Sunday...

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 03:03 AM
i thought X was a weird choice along with the kills, billy talent where weird choices n oviously not for me also i think Throbbing Gristle might actually be to much for me whiich i almost never say man they are a trippp

sacleonard
01-31-2009, 08:17 AM
i thought X was a weird choice along with the kills, billy talent where weird choices n oviously not for me also i think Throbbing Gristle might actually be to much for me whiich i almost never say man they are a trippp

Why are The Kills a weird choice? They surprised a lot of people in 2005.

mistdevil
01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
the kills are great!

chiapet
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Throbbing Gristle will be in the same slot as Aphex Twin, confusing all the dance kids on E & DEF causing bad trips for anybody foolish enough to bake or fry on Sunday...

Ahhhh. That is going to be such fun.
I really don't think TG will play until after dark. But I could be wrong.

SoulDischarge
01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I can't wait to eat a ton of acid and be terrified by Genesis & crew.

obzen
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Aphex Twin was the only reason why i went Friday,last year.
Mastodon will be my personal Saturday apex this year unless theres an addition like i think most people are praying for-
if only they added Meshuggah...

normalone75
01-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Shepard and Cohen=Fillers, Cant stand COHEN.

PotVsKtl
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Nobody gives a fuck what you can and cannot stand.

PierogiHead
01-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Billy Talent stuck out like a sore thumb with me. A bit of quick history on them if you don't remember them, but they tried to break into the U.S. market when Sum 41 and Avril Lavigne were huge and leading the way for Canadian "pop punk" acts. They are pretty popular in Canada, but not really anywhere else.

The Sum 41/Avril mainstream pop trend died many years ago so its weird they got booked now of all years, and their tiny fonted name on the poster just looks odd altogether -- not because they deserve a bigger one, but because it just shows they're not popular at all for a band that has been around for years. I do remember they toured with The Buzzcocks as well so maybe they've distanced themselves from the failed pop breakthrough of the early 2000s.

karma_guy
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
a friend of mine saw billy talent last year and said they were really good live
in canada they're really big and i guess play stadiums etc

but for me i thought it was really weird to see amy winehouse and atmosphere
whinehouse b/c it just seemed totally random
and atmosphere b/c 'roo seems more like the fest for him
but w/e

andronicus
01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
genghis tron will rule.

Brandwagon6
01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Billy Talent should be fun to see live. I dig thier tunes

Mariano
01-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Zizek is a Dj from Buenos Aires .. I was really impressed of seeing it in the list. I've never been to one of his parties but I've heard some of his stuff and its quite strange, If there's nothing huge at the same time i'll probably check his act.

PierogiHead
01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
genghis tron will rule.

Yeah, I'm excited to see their name on the poster. It's not even an odd choice to have them there either. Them and Mastodon are basically metal for the Pitchfork yuppies haha.

Aurgasm
01-31-2009, 09:50 AM
THE KILLERS AS HEADLINERS= FUCKING WEIRD

andronicus
01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I'm excited to see their name on the poster. It's not even an odd choice to have them there either. Them and Mastodon are basically metal for the Pitchfork yuppies haha.

yeah i don't know what these guys are talking about. i mean, i remember in 05 when the locust played. made perfect sense.

Ardentbiscuit
01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
It's going to be weird hearing Throbbing Gristle echo across the polo field.

People in other areas are definitely going to stop and investigate.

rage patton
01-31-2009, 09:59 AM
In Canada and in a few countries in Europe, Billy Talent play to Stadiums. So when I saw them billed on the second to last line on Saturday I was like... "WTF?!?!?" I have seen them twice, and they are awesome live. They should be a ton of fun at Coachella.

aggrolites, but im so down

Agreed. I love the Aggrolites. One of my favorite bands on Friday. Not that weird though. Coachella has had a few reggae acts before. But they do stick out this year.

woogie846
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Throbbing Gristle are definitely the strangest band this year.

prettyenoughforyou
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
i saw billy talent in spring of '07 and they were awesome live! their shows have a ton of energy and i think that they would be great in the gobi. i look forward to seeing them again!

Rockstarboy37
01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Honestly after discovering animal collective and panda bear last year and then finding out about bands like the books and holy fuck nothing really seems weird to me anymore.

No new music weirds me out I just try to enjoy it.

I can't wait for throbbing gristle. It'll definitely be a trip

P.S. For some reason I got Billy talent confused with Static -X

Never listened to either of them, but I remember hearing some static - x and thinking they were shit. It got that image stuck in my head when i thought of BT.

Either way I'm seeing something else when they play.

obzen
01-31-2009, 10:13 AM
THE KILLERS AS HEADLINERS= FUCKING WEIRD

for lack of better words...

Rockstarboy37
01-31-2009, 10:17 AM
p.p.s. can't wait

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wev6UaQKtAc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wev6UaQKtAc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PC-2 Violence
01-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Top 3 strange names on the lineup:

Clipse is REALLY strange.

Zizek is going to be fun.

Antony & Johnsons. And no not the sister song.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Patton & Rahzel...

SUCK!

Sokkerkid101
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
http://blogs.jobdig.com/wwds/files/2007/09/a99_winehouse.jpg

killsunshine
01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
throbbing gristle is why i will go to at least sunday.
roni size reprasent and clipse are weird. because they're shitty hiphop.
also ghengis tron, who tho fuck? and they suck.

evilmushroompie
01-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Molotov. Didn't see that coming.

theaenimatool
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
genghis tron will rule.

fuck yeah they will.

oh my god, im still so stoked that they are there this year.

purplewaffles
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Billy Talent live is an amazing show.

Aumgn
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM

They're exactly the reason I'm dropping. yesssssss yesssss yesssssssssssss.

nationocean
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
ariel pink's haunted graffiti.. in daylight.. weird.

dear and the headlights - awful band

booker t, lol

dag_kurt
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
ryan bingham
clipse

and i'll agree with roni size and reprazent being a weird choice. irrelevant artist in terms of today's DnB (IMO) -- unless they're doing something else now? even still, it's the only DnB act i recognize on the lineup. really wished we'd get a more current sounding artist. evol intent (live) would be at the top of my list.

(and that's not to discredit roni/full cycle crew, but it's not his first time at coachella. drum n bass is a largely unrepresented genre in the sahara, usually with only 1 act any given year. no more PotD or roni/FCY, please.)

PanasonicYouth
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Clipse is the strangest one to me. He is so shitty. Just watch the video they posted for him.

Ghengis Tron is going to be amazing, I hope they play at night.

Now if they would just add Dillinger...

DuctTapedGerbil
02-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder if Genesis will be scarier as a woman....

oftheheartofthesoul
02-08-2009, 06:56 PM
The strangest? It would probably be Ariel Pink's Assault on All Five Senses.

HEADSTRUCK
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
roni size reprasent and clipse are weird. because they're shitty hiphop.

when did roni size start doing hip hop? lol

moomoo
02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Throbbing Gristle.

Had no idea that they even existed but I am definitely falling in love with them. CANNOT WAIT to see these guys (as long as they don't conflict with YYYs or MBV PLEEEEASE).

philabuster
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm an old fucker (52) and I'm fucking stoked for TG. I doubt Cosi Fan Tuti will dance nude in front of a board covered with used tampons like the old days, but I expect they will still deliver. There were a couple moments last year when Aphex Twin made me think of TG. Now for the real thing.

SubBass49
02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
when did roni size start doing hip hop? lol

THIS.

At least know what you're talking about if you're gonna talk shit.

lickety_spit
02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
they have "wait a minute, what the fuck" bands every year. my "w.a.m., w.t.f.?" bands were flogging molly, coheed & cambria, thrice & probably one or two more. of the ones with which i'm familiar, mastodon is pretty "w.a.m., w.t.f.?"

lickety_spit
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
oh, and sean penn was pretty "you're fucking kidding me, right?"

MeowMixer
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Sitting here you make me shiver...
Sitting here I lose all fear...

HEADSTRUCK
02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
THIS.

At least know what you're talking about if you're gonna talk shit.

Roni Size is DnB not hip hop. Maybe with an mc but NOT hip hop.

Having a MC does not make it hip hop

I do know what I am talking about since I have grown up listening to DnB and Roni.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttaExv4SIjQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttaExv4SIjQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

erndisco
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Shepard and Cohen=Fillers, Cant stand COHEN.

two words: DON'T GO.

aynalehcar
02-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Bob Mould! lamesauce

M Sparks
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Bob Mould! lamesauce

Why? He's a fucking legend, and a huge influence on a lot of people who will be there.

I must admit I haven't heard what he's done lately (I haven't really heard anything since the album that had "I Hate Alternative Rock" on it), but I get the impression from your use of the world "sauce" that you're just a douchebag and not offering any legitimate criticism of his recent output.

SubBass49
02-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Roni Size is DnB not hip hop. Maybe with an mc but NOT hip hop.

Having a MC does not make it hip hop

I do know what I am talking about since I have grown up listening to DnB and Roni.

I know. I was agreeing with your previous comment.

When someone quotes your opst and says "THIS" they're agreeing. The comment about talking shit was directed at the fool that thought Roni Size was hip-hop.

nbvwes
02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
i'm all for the strange & weird acts... it's those damn middle of the road, bland commercial shoegaze bands i can't stand...

so, more acts like Aphex & Mastodon & Throbbing Gristle & Fucked Up & Girl Talk, etc.

i hope Bob plays alot of Husker Du and NOT alot of Sugar...

stewboss
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not against it, but I find Paolo Nutini and James Morrison to be slightly odd adds to the lineup. That said, given their position on the lineup I think it's fairly likely that I'll see both.

HEADSTRUCK
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I know. I was agreeing with your previous comment.

When someone quotes your opst and says "THIS" they're agreeing. The comment about talking shit was directed at the fool that thought Roni Size was hip-hop.

I gotcha......

I thought you were tryn to post a link or something...lol

Rockstarboy37
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Zizek!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiTum8eQ51E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiTum8eQ51E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhDuYfZa5dE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhDuYfZa5dE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jk

Would be really fun to watch him talk though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
the kills are great!

somehow with only two people The Kills manage to be soooo much better live than on their albums

Mariano
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Zizek is a Dj from Buenos Aires .. I was really impressed of seeing it in the list. I've never been to one of his parties but I've heard some of his stuff and its quite strange, If there's nothing huge at the same time i'll probably check his act.

I have to correct myself, it is not a Dj, It's the name of a party. This is even better cause various djs that play in the parties are touring together.
That's why they renamed it to Zizek Club :D

psycobetabuckdown
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Clipse is the strangest one to me. He is so shitty. Just watch the video they posted for him.

It's not that bad, he's a decent rapper from what I've heard and he may even be good. The video GV put up has a pretty mainstream sound, but he's a mainstream guy. I'm guessing he puts on a good show. It's not Yung Joc for god's sake. That would be strange. Clipse isn't much of a stretch.

gooftroop
02-09-2009, 11:19 PM

For one, Clipse is a rap group composed of two rappers. Second, they are actually awesome. I have seen them live and will vouch for it being an excellent hip-hop show. Their stuff is hard and not for everybody but listen to Hell Hath No Fury and most of Lord Willin' and you should know where you stand. They play their shit tight and really throw down.

If you are at all a fan of their album or any of their tracks SEE CLIPSE!!