PDA

View Full Version : I am led to believe...

bigwheelie2000
01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
...that GV postponed the announcement of the lineup because they were trying to get Paul McCartney to headline Sunday instead of Friday. And, yes, the real headliner for Saturday is yet to be announced (David Bowie? Faith No More? U2? Green Day?) - something they do to create a 2nd surge in ticket sales. This would create the climactic festival experience Coachella has had since it became a, 3 day festival. The Friday headliner is always an act that works for some people, but many ditch it to see someone they like better (Bjork, Jack Johnson - I saw Gogol Bordello instead of Bjork). For Saturday they' announce a decent band who can draw a decent crowd but is not truly worthy of being a headliner (RHCP, Portishead) and they announce the real headliner (Prince) later to create a surge in ticket sales (they said "fuck it" in 2007 after the show sold out, who knows who the real headliner could have been). The Sunday headliner is always some sort of climactic event for people to look forward to (RATM's 1st show in 7 years, Roger Waters' epic "Dark Side of the Moon" show). This escalation to the climax is what makes people come away from coachella feeling like they have had some sort of amazing, life-changing experience. GV wanted these to be the headliners for 2009:

Friday - The Cure (or an act of similar status)
Saturday - ??? (real headliner), The Killers (fake headliner)
Sunday - Paul McCartney

GV wanted Sir Paul's performance to be the climax for 2009 but for some reason McCartney was unable to make it on Sunday. Now GV has to shell out the money to book a huge act (Led Zepelin?), in addition to announcing a good "real" headliner for Saturday, to achieve the same effect.

...just the 2-cents of a lurker who usually wants nothingb to do with you idiots.

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I really don't think they had plans to bump down RHCP in '07. They're were a "good" enough headliner by themselves. I think they delay had to do with getting the other Saturday headliner which probably didn't pan out. Paul McCartney might have been put on Friday just to sell tix since it's the hardest day to sell.

Suffacated
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
just the 2-cents of a lurker who usually wants nothingb to do with you idiots.
And the 2-cents of a lurker who cant spell (nothingb).
Who's the idiot?

jjbaldwi
01-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Green day?
Great fucking headliner.
The Killers are as legit as Green Day.
Sorry

Stickjohn
01-30-2009, 11:30 PM
LEAVE HIM ALONE. Keep writing bigwheelie2000. You're turning me on. Something about an escalating surge to a climax and life-changing experience?

zikade
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Prince played Sat because there was no other day he could/wanted to play, probably the same for McCartney. They have to make the schedule around the acts' schedules, not vice versa. There's no conspiracy. If they had gotten Bowie he would've played the day he could/wanted to play too, meaning a Bowie/Cure day would've been just as much likely as a Bowie/Killers day.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
led zeppelin just ain't gonna happen

too many old farts as there is. And I do love me some led zeppelin

but it just ain't gonna happen

menikmati
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM
RETARDED.

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
My thoughts. Goldenvoice is trying to get U2 to headline Saturday and trying to work out a negotiation with Live Nation. And I think it's Live Nation (who has been rumored to buy Goldenvoice) is holding up the process. I believe that U2 actually want to probably play some festivals (they are one of the only biggest bands to not play a festival... i.e. Pearl Jam, Radiohead, NIN, RATM, Metallica have all played fests) I think that Saturday night would be a perfect slot and I think The Killers (seeing as though Bono loves them so much) would be a great opener. Seeing Paul McCartney, U2, and The Cure on the poster looks much fucking better that seeing The Killers as a headliner.

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2009, 11:39 PM
http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/big_wheel.jpg

Boourns
01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Green Day > the Killers

unknowndrummer66
01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I believe that U2 actually want to probably play some festivals (they are one of the only biggest bands to not play a festival... i.e. Pearl Jam, Radiohead, NIN, RATM, Metallica)

im pretty sure all those bands have played festivals

stinkbutt
01-30-2009, 11:43 PM
...that GV postponed the announcement of the lineup because they were trying to get Paul McCartney to headline Sunday instead of Friday. And, yes, the real headliner for Saturday is yet to be announced (David Bowie? Faith No More? U2? Green Day?) - something they do to create a 2nd surge in ticket sales. This would create the climactic festival experience Coachella has had since it became a, 3 day festival. The Friday headliner is always an act that works for some people, but many ditch it to see someone they like better (Bjork, Jack Johnson - I saw Gogol Bordello instead of Bjork). For Saturday they' announce a decent band who can draw a decent crowd but is not truly worthy of being a headliner (RHCP, Portishead) and they announce the real headliner (Prince) later to create a surge in ticket sales (they said "fuck it" in 2007 after the show sold out, who knows who the real headliner could have been). The Sunday headliner is always some sort of climactic event for people to look forward to (RATM's 1st show in 7 years, Roger Waters' epic "Dark Side of the Moon" show). This escalation to the climax is what makes people come away from coachella feeling like they have had some sort of amazing, life-changing experience. GV wanted these to be the headliners for 2009:

Sunday - Paul McCartney

GV wanted Sir Paul's performance to be the climax for 2009 but for some reason McCartney was unable to make it on Sunday. Now GV has to shell out the money to book a huge act (Led Zepelin?), in addition to announcing a good "real" headliner for Saturday, to achieve the same effect.

...just the 2-cents of a lurker who usually wants nothingb to do with you idiots.

Is it me or do all the kids that started coming in 07 have no logical thought process?

JClemy
01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
a U2 add would make me stoked! Of all the bands that I could be missing they would be the best!

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
im pretty sure all those bands have played festivals

exactly. and U2 have not and probably want to. I didn't word it right

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 11:46 PM

I dunno, there's probably a reason why they haven't yet...

jjbaldwi
01-30-2009, 11:48 PM
u2 will not be there

unknowndrummer66
01-30-2009, 11:48 PM

oh ok i read it wrong then

i dunno
i would love to see u2
but they just dont seem to be right for a festival

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Well I think back when they last toured they were more caught up in their own thing and overtaking the world again. Now that they have done that, it's time to do something else. Festivals are the big thing now. They weren't as prevalent 4 years ago.

woogie846
01-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I think the announcement took so long because GV needed to make sure all of Amy Winehouse's paperwork was in order.

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 11:52 PM
I think the announcement took so long because GV needed to make sure all of Amy Winehouse's paperwork was in order.

Do you really think they would hold it up for her? I say no

Failed State
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
I hope they don't add someone big on Saturday, I already can't afford it ad it is, and radiohead would make me have to go now!!!!

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Fucking genius!

ultraslow
01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
that is an interesting theory, wheelie

gives me hope there will be a massive late add on saturday

interpolitix
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
way too many stellar albeit grizzled headliners.

maybe a major add would be a band or a someone whose best records are being made now?

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Is it me or do all the kids that started coming in 07 have no logical thought process?

I think its the RATM demographic.

WhyTheLongFace
01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
For Saturday they' announce a decent band who can draw a decent crowd but is not truly worthy of being a headliner (RHCP, Portishead) and they announce the real headliner (Prince) later to create a surge in ticket sales (they said "fuck it" in 2007 after the show sold out, who knows who the real headliner could have been).

So because they did it once its now a steadfast coachella tradition?
http://i44.tinypic.com/2im8aic.gif

WhyTheLongFace
01-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Do you really think they would hold it up for her? I say no

It's the most logical reason. Plus no matter how much this board hates Amy imagine the poster w/o her. Saturday would have been claimed as lets go golf with old people day by this board

daft$tar
01-31-2009, 01:19 AM

i lol'd

its funny because its probably true

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I smell Cheese

bigwheelie2000
01-31-2009, 01:52 AM
So because they did it once its now a steadfast coachella tradition?
http://i44.tinypic.com/2im8aic.gif

no, just a good business model

clumsy342
01-31-2009, 02:05 AM
I smell Cheese

I am with you on Deadmau5 and I'll raise you the return of
MODESELEKTOR!

or fuck it, bring Autechre.

hobomilitia
01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
I highly doubt this hypothesis...

Jman4321
01-31-2009, 03:01 AM
I really don't think they had plans to bump down RHCP in '07. They're were a "good" enough headliner by themselves.

They didn't have plans to do that. Tiesto bitched about being put beforehand.

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 04:23 AM
I am with you on Deadmau5 and I'll raise you the return of
MODESELEKTOR!

or fuck it, bring Autechre.

nice name drop fuck, i take you modeselektor n raise you a Tepr or a Yuksek or Oizo fuk tho modeselektor would be so good

one2fast
01-31-2009, 04:41 AM

Sunday - Paul McCartney

just stfu u sound stupid killers r good enuff stop whining u lil kid

Psicosis
01-31-2009, 06:30 AM
If there's anything I've gathered from the strong Friday lineups in both '08 and '09, it's that GV is deliberately loading them up in order to get more people to attend the entire fest (thus buying a three day pass) over driving to Indio and buying a single day ticket just to see a particular headliner. I'd be stunned if we see a major switch-a-roo of the headliners, and a tad less stunned if they replace The Killers with a bigger Saturday headliner.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 09:34 AM
I too also believed McCartney would close out the festival but I'm still not too sure if they'll go through the hassle of getting another huge name for Saturday though it'll probably be worth it

WhyTheLongFace
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
no, just a good business model

How is it a good business model when single day tickets were sold out prior to the addition of Prince?

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 10:25 AM
ticket sales were slow and needed a huge boost

M Sparks
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
maybe a major add would be a band or a someone whose best records are being made now?

There are probably tons of bands on the lineup making their best records right now. That doesn't make them headliner worthy. We won't know it until later.

Very few bands peak in popularity and quality at the same time. Actually U2 did, but it was in 87.