PDA

View Full Version : If, IF, they replace a saturday headliner what would you want to see?

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
don't hate

Just share your opinion like civilized human beings.

For me I'd want Neil Young

Bowie, Radiohead, Daft Punk, NIN, and sometimes MUSE are a given.

But I say Neil Young

What about you guys?

P.S.

I don't mean REPLACE I mean ADD on. chill out

obzen
01-30-2009, 07:27 PM
don't hate

Bowie, Radiohead

But I say ADD on. chill out

this would explain the delay...

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Wishes and prayers only go so far my friend

imapixie
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Depeche Mode, Radiohead or Regina Spektor (she is a headliner to me dammit!)

one2fast
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
def radiohead wuld be nice that wuld make my saturday

but i rly see nuthin wrong with the lineup killers r great
what i wuld like to see happen is to add way more artists to the undercard for a saturday its way to weak and not as much as other years

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
OUTKAST

weeklymix
01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
if we're talking about total prayers, hopes and wishes - david bowie reincarnates ziggy stardust.

Kid B
01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Bowie
Muse
Nine Inch Nails
Radiohead
Daft Punk

lostsoul86
01-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Outkast

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
I'd be down for every one of these.

Ziggy Stardust reprise is probably the number one wish of every bowie fan

thom cobain
01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
underworld

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't complain if we got a little flaming lips on the roster

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 08:33 PM
i still think the real saturday headliner is just waiting for their name to be announced for Roo! That way COACHELLA's lineup didnt give it away.

So i would eliminate anyone who would only do a one-off.

My guess is its a reunion like Blur or Soundgarden.

Personally, i want the Gorillaz or the Smiths.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
you got morrisey, close enough

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Blur

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Neil Young, Outkast, Cocteau Twins

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Bowie

carolinesgood
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
putting aside favorites i always like to be around, i would love to see talking heads, even tom tom club would be good, cocteau twins would be fabulous as would gorillaz. go for broke - stimulate the masses1111

justinwilson1987
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
i don't see what all the fuss is about for morrisey...watched about 3 youtube clips and was pretty bored. i'd love regina spektor to be added or depeche mode. lemon jelly or boards of canada. i wouldnt mind seeing u2 as the saturday headliner. hearing stuff like "with or without you" and "still haven't found what i'm looking for" live would be pretty awesome!

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm down for some talking heads

that would definitely buy my 3 day pass

danteb
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
anyone but the killers really.
muse or neil young would be fucking amazing though

phareswheel
01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
radiohead
or
blur

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I can see Blur appearing......and for some reason I thought of Stone Roses

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
i don't see what all the fuss is about for morrisey...watched about 3 youtube clips and was pretty bored. i'd love regina spektor to be added or depeche mode. lemon jelly or boards of canada. i wouldnt mind seeing u2 as the saturday headliner. hearing stuff like "with or without you" and "still haven't found what i'm looking for" live would be pretty awesome!

I don't either. Never seen what people like in the Smiths or Morrissey. I said it before and I'll say it again.

If I want to see somebody swing flowers around and sing I'd go hang out with Hari Krishnas.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I can see Blur appearing......and for some reason I thought of Stone Roses

Stone roses would be dope

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Some people just like the Smiths because they are just a "BIG" band and people hear the name and say "OMG! The Smiths!"

others actually listen to the music and enjoy it

fuck scenesters

Hawkings
01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Stone Roses
White Stripes
NIN
Bowie 70's stuff (but Paul's raised the median age for performers this year already so maybe next year ?)

CVnative
01-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Gotta say I'm excited for the line up this year. But, if anyone was added I beg that its Modest Mouse. Them and Radiohead would be sweeeeet!

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Hmm...good call on Modest Mouse

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Modest Mouse FTW

BootsyGraham
01-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Outkast
Pavement
David Bowie

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I thought I read something on here about one more big name non-american band being added and maybe it'll be Pavement...

are they from america?

MancYank
01-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Stockton CA........on my wishlist too

OCMusicJunkie
01-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I really, really wanted to see Arcade Fire on the bill this year. They'd be a great closing act for Saturday.

I've always thought Coachella should be about seeing huge acts that don't play twice a year in your hometown, but I like the Killers as a good fit for the second night. Paul is a great vibe to open the show, and The Cure are a great vibe to go out on. In the middle they needed a good high-energy, poppy band to mix things up. I'd have no issue if they'd had Franz headline night two, but the Killers work nicely too.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
THE WHITE STRIPES.
meg white owes us big-time after her "nervous breakdown," that dumb bitch.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
THE WHITE STRIPES.

hahahaha

seyrnon
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I could go for Blur, NIN, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, RATM, Bowie, Sigur Ros, maybe Mark Knopfler, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, The Dead might not fit in but could headline a festival, Tom Petty would be tight, George Clinton and Parliament, Talking heads would be killer, that's all that I can think of right now

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Some people just like the Smiths because they are just a "BIG" band and people hear the name and say "OMG! The Smiths!"

others actually listen to the music and enjoy it

fuck scenesters

the first music i can ever remember being exposed to was what was playing on KROQ in the mid 80s. My step dad was a big Smiths fan and an even bigger Cure fan. It was weird cause alot of the friends i had in junior high and highschool had little idea who these bands were. My parents are young. Aot of the kids parents were in the generation above mine.

and i wasnt taking your post as if it was directed at me personally, i just really like the Smiths. Morrisey wrote some really incredible lyrics. I am really excited to see him for the first time. Along w/ the Cure a few nights later.

And honestly, if i could see anybody at COACHELLA it would be Oingo Boingo. I can't even comprehend how insane that would be for me.......

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
For once we can agree on something coachellabound

oingo boingo would indeed be mind blowing

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
THE WHITE STRIPES.

I know Jack has been saying he still wants to switch back and forth between bands but i also could have sworn i just read that they are auctioning off Meg's drum set.

But maybee she's just getting a new one???

OCMusicJunkie
01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I could go for Blur, NIN, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, RATM, Bowie, Sigur Ros, maybe Mark Knopfler, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, The Dead might not fit in but could headline a festival, Tom Petty would be tight, George Clinton and Parliament, Talking heads would be killer, that's all that I can think of right now

I think Rage would be a great band, but would ruin the vibe this year. All of the main bands are very upbeat. Tom Petty would be amazing, but Paul/Tom/Cure would mean 60's/80's/80's as headliners. I want at least ONE current band to headline.

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
If The Killers get bumped down, I highly doubt whoever it is gonna be huge, so no Outkast, Bowie, etc.

dancinfool69
01-30-2009, 09:50 PM
MUSE all the way =) and kings of leon!

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I know Jack has been saying he still wants to switch back and forth between bands but i also could have sworn i just read that they are auctioning off Meg's drum set.

But maybee she's just getting a new one???

i read that too! but the article i read mentioned that it was just one of the drum sets used in the hardest button to button video, and there were 30something kits in that video. so she definitely still has other drum sets at her disposal, and she better fucking get to using them!!

bigc1
01-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Neil Young
Outkast
White Stripes

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 09:54 PM
For once we can agree on something coachellabound

oingo boingo would indeed be mind blowing

I was NEVER EVER trying to talk shit on Jimi!!!!!

Hes one of my favorite artists of all time!

Band of Gypsys is one of the greatest pieces of work ever, ive got the cd, the original vinyl, and the DVD

I love evreything about the dude, but theres just always going to be that sad aspect of "Rock & Roll".

COACHELLA is about music and being open minded, not just twords the tunes but people in general. Sorry if i came off the wrong way. Im just really passionate about music, as im sure you are as well. Sometimes egos get the best of us on this board, mine included....

:: Handshake Extended ::

krk67
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Most of these are repeats of what others have said...
Muse
Radiohead
Blur
The Smiths
The White Stripes
Smashing Pumpkins
The Beastie Boys
The Flaming Lips
The Strokes
And I'd take the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl's silly onstage douchiness or Oasis and the Gallagher brothers' inability to finish a set without killing each other or No Doubt over the Killers' one hit single and the singer's inability to actually, well, sing anyday.

But Muse or Radiohead would be my first choices.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
If The Killers get bumped down, I highly doubt whoever it is gonna be huge, so no Outkast, Bowie, etc.

Why would you assume that? To Headline you gotta be a pretty big name.

I really do think their gonna pull another prince this year and add somebody in last minute.

even if they don't I'm not buying a ticket until I see the Bonnaroo line up.

And Coachellabound. It's just a forum. No need to get all mushy but, I accept the handshake. thanks haha

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I really do think their gonna pull another prince this year and add somebody in last minute.

even if they don't I'm not buying a ticket until I see the Bonnaroo line up.

And Coachellabound. It's just a forum. No need to get all mushy but, I accept the handshake. thanks haha

I definetly think they will add someone in a Prince like fashion, but i dont think they will wait quite as long. I say a month from today. and its going to be Bowie......duh!

and im not getting mushy, i just dont like being a prick and talking shit doesnt do me any good it just causes me to run out of reefer faster. Ive seen some serious shit fly on this board and right now im not in the mood for it.

Id rather just squash it

thanks for accepting the handshake.

clumsy342
01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Gorillaz...
Queens of the Stone Age...
White Stripes...

Fuck it, Fugazi! David Bowie! Radiohead! Tom Waits! Anyone!

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I definetly think they will add someone in a Prince like fashion, but i dont think they will wait quite as long. I say a month from today. and its going to be Bowie......duh!

That may happen but no way it's gonna be as big as Prince. That was just a one time special occasion.

seyrnon
01-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Gorillaz...
Queens of the Stone Age...
White Stripes...

Fuck it, Fugazi! David Bowie! Radiohead! Tom Waits! Anyone!

I could definitely do Tom Waits or Fugazi

BootsyGraham
Dude, Fugazi would be incredible. But I don't think that will happen.

Coachella Bound
I remember reading one of the articles from last week on Bowie and it was sooo fucking haunting!

Remember last year when they denied the Prince rumors, but they said at the end "this is the Purple one so expect the unexpected."

Well at the end of this one it said something to the effect of " Beyond that only the thin White Duke knows the score."

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 10:25 PM
That may happen but no way it's gonna be as big as Prince. That was just a one time special occasion.

Yeah there's definitely few artists with a following like prince. I doubt it would be anybody that big.
Plus they already got McCartney

But I'll be waiting. I'll be waiting.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I remember reading one of the articles from last week on Bowie and it was sooo fucking haunting!

Remember last year when they denied the Prince rumors, but they said at the end "this is the Purple one so expect the unexpected."

Well at the end of this one it said something to the effect of " Beyond that only the thin White Duke knows the score."

WHAAAAT! oh my god.
i so want to believe that bowie could still be a possibility...

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
hahaha every single one of my friends that came with me last year would not stop talking shit about Prince all the way up till sat night.

Then come sunday morning they all couldnt stop talking about how they wanted to be Priince.....

He tore the shit out of that guitar!!!!

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
WHAAAAT! oh my god.
i so want to believe that bowie could still be a possibility...

heres the article.....

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/bowie-ziggy-pla.html

nothing more than speculation, but you've got to admit it sounds strikingly familiar to the Prince comment from last year.....

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
it does. and in a way, it's only logical that they would add him to the lineup. with macca and the cure closing friday and sunday, it doesn't make sense to have a band like the killers close on saturday....

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
If we are graced with the presence of bowie I will never be angry at the coachella line up ever again. I will always just say they've got something under their sleeves this year.

In fact I honestly believe their gonna pull a prince for that surge in ticket sales after a few weeks. Im just giving it a few weeks.

I really doubt it'll be anything along the lines of a band reuniting though. they probably would have announced that waaaay back.

so we will see. I can only wonder what they have in store for us this year.

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 10:56 PM
i still find it so strange that out of all the hype thats been flying through these boards over the last two weeks, Dani decides to squash the DP rumors and the Radiohead rumors, but nothing else.......it took all the way up untill the week of that we got any negative word on the "White Duke", as im going to call him now.

~ Stoner Theory Time ~

everyone gather round........

Ok so Bowie is on the fence about COACHELLA, one day he wants it the next day hes not so sure......meenwhile the 26th, last monday (the original lineup release date) kept getting closer and closer till finally Bowie snaps and says "Don't count me out, but i CANT make a decision right now."

Leaving GV with only a few options........

Either move on and try and replace the Duke quickly, all those RHCP, Green Day, etc. rumors.

or drop the lineup a few days later (today) w/ some minor alterations and hold on for a little bit to see what the Duke decides to do.

And thats where everything is now. In a sense, Paul knew he had to drop the lineup, people were loosing thier minds. If he doesnt get Bowie this year, its no extra heartache for anyone.

Cause hypothetically all the rumors have been squashed, ex. all the articles from last week....

MissBianca
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Bowie
Blur
NIN *****this would be awesome given Throbing Gristle is performing*****
Oingo Boingo
Rolling Stones
Talking Heads

biggfoot17
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
outkast, radiohead, or daft punk. they need somebody to bring down the place saturday night cause while mccartney and the cure are going to put on an entertaining show, nobody is going to leave saying "wow. that fucking blew my mind".

i've read from numerous sources, including a few from his camp, that bowie is not attending, and definately not bringing back ziggy. are they just a bunch of liars?

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
i still find it so strange that out of all the hype thats been flying through these boards over the last two weeks, Dani decides to squash the DP rumors and the Radiohead rumors, but nothing else.......it took all the way up untill the week of that we got any negative word on the "White Duke", as im going to call him now.

~ Stoner Theory Time ~

everyone gather round........

Ok so Bowie is on the fence about COACHELLA, one day he wants it the next day hes not so sure......meenwhile the 26th, last monday (the original lineup release date) kept getting closer and closer till finally Bowie snaps and says "Don't count me out, but i CANT make a decision right now."

Leaving GV with only a few options........

Either move on and try and replace the Duke quickly, all those RHCP, Green Day, etc. rumors.

or drop the lineup a few days later (today) w/ some minor alterations and hold on for a little bit to see what the Duke decides to do.

And thats where everything is now. In a sense, Paul knew he had to drop the lineup, people were loosing thier minds. If he doesnt get Bowie this year, its no extra heartache for anyone.

Cause hypothetically all the rumors have been squashed, ex. all the articles from last week....

Thanks for playing.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 08:22 AM
the first music i can ever remember being exposed to was what was playing on KROQ in the mid 80s. My step dad was a big Smiths fan and an even bigger Cure fan. It was weird cause alot of the friends i had in junior high and highschool had little idea who these bands were. My parents are young. Aot of the kids parents were in the generation above mine.

and i wasnt taking your post as if it was directed at me personally, i just really like the Smiths. Morrisey wrote some really incredible lyrics. I am really excited to see him for the first time. Along w/ the Cure a few nights later.

And honestly, if i could see anybody at COACHELLA it would be Oingo Boingo. I can't even comprehend how insane that would be for me.......

Back then, it was customary to know who they were now it's just treated a name instead of quality music

CurableOkie
01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up, but I've heard the rumours and I like one the most:

David Bowie

Hell, his buddies TV On The Radio are going to be there, and for fuck's sake all the Killers are is Brandon Flowers wishing he was David Bowie on every song.

Would be nice to see the man come out in the flesh and show us how it's done.

But my mindset is they pulled Prince outta the purple rain last year... so anything seems possible

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 08:53 AM
That last statement is true.

Prince is probably the most stubborn musician of today and if they got him after waiting more than half a decade, they can probably get Bowie...

next year

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Daft Please
kthnxbai :)

clumsy342
01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Hell, his buddies TV On The Radio are going to be there, and for fuck's sake all the Killers are is Brandon Flowers wishing he was David Bowie on every song.

It just seems right, doesnt it?
I'd say that Paul McCartney + David Bowie could match last year's Roger Waters spectacle easily.

hendrixfan143
01-31-2009, 09:20 AM
TEARS FOR FEARS!!!!

Rockstarboy37
01-31-2009, 10:36 AM
outkast, radiohead, or daft punk. they need somebody to bring down the place saturday night cause while mccartney and the cure are going to put on an entertaining show, nobody is going to leave saying "wow. that fucking blew my mind".

That's all we really need. A band that can bring the place down.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Just put The Knife opposite The Killers on Saturday and the day will be saved....

Rockstarboy37
01-31-2009, 11:05 AM
there's still a spot left under whinehouse and TC for another subheadliner who knows.

In the poster every other day has five, but friday has four. That makes me skeptical that they will leave it the way it is.

Raptor Clinton
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
TOM WAITS

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
TOM WAITS

Whoa...now that would be amazing...

hendrixfan143
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
yeah keep forgetting about the knife

THE KNIFE WOULD INSTANTLY MAKE SATURDAY THE Best. woops sorry caps lock

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Just put The Knife opposite The Killers on Saturday and the day will be saved....

Great idea. Have them play the same time as the killers

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Adding The Knife will instantly save Saturday from being lame....

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
It's not lame but it'll just make it greater for me

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Deadmau5, Outkast, Modeselektor, Moby!, or a diplo santogold show could be a coachella dream :D