PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody like Amy Whinehouse?

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I mean is she even famous for anything besides being a total trainwreck? man what are they fucking thinking?

Quadromarshia
01-30-2009, 07:01 PM
No, nobody likes Amy Winehouse.

GV just added her to piss people off like you. And guess what? Mission accomplished.

/thread.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm serious. does anybody listen to her? I really want to know.

digitaldragon03
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I like her music. Im just scared that GV put this much faith into her to place her on the second line. Im worried shes going to show up as a cracked out whore, and start giving handjobs to the band while bleeding from her arms.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I mean is she even famous for anything besides being a total trainwreck? man what are they fucking thinking?

have you ever listened to her music before? she's incredibly talented. it's a shame she has so many ugly habits that overshadow her work, because that woman can SING.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
No I've only really heard her single and I didn't like it.

But are people on this forum excited about it?

cause besides you I haven't heard a single positive remark from anybody

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I like Amy Whitehouse.

frisbeee
01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
she can sing from what I have heard from her. but just does not fit in at coachella.

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM

yeah, trainwreck.... I mean lets just completey forget about the 5 Grammys she just won this past year. Cause those awards obviously don't mean shit........

Uh, this is rock and fucking roll people.

Theres a reason why Jim, Jimmy, Janet, and Kurt all died @ 27.

Are you going to disregaurd them as some the greatest artists in history??? because they were infact all trainwrecks......

Stickjohn
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I thought she was great in 2007. I hope she gets her shit together because she is very talented, but the Dap-Kings are better off backing Sharon.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
yeah, trainwreck.... I mean lets just completey forget about the 5 Grammys she just won this past year. Cause those awards obviously don't mean shit.......

Actually, yeah.

gaypalmsprings
what's not to like?

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/amy_winehouse_crotch_rot.jpg

Coachella Bound
she can sing from what I have heard from her. but just does not fit in at coachella.

hmmmm.... how does a repeat artist not fit in?????

what the fuck is wrong with you people, do you research anything or do you just keep hitting the "bitch and moan" button????

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Actually, yeah.

I see you hid from the rest of the question...thats cool i kinda expected that.

anyone else smell that........?

smells like someones got their legs open.

rskapcat
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah, trainwreck.... I mean lets just completey forget about the 5 Grammys she just won this past year. Cause those awards obviously don't mean shit........

Uh, this is rock and fucking roll people.

Theres a reason why Jim, Jimmy, Janet, and Kurt all died @ 27.

Are you going to disregaurd them as some the greatest artists in history??? because they were infact all trainwrecks......

Janet? I know not of whom you speak.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
you know who wins grammy's?

anybody. Nickelback wins grammy's. Pink wins grammy's

Bullshit wins grammy's

Quadromarshia
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
what's not to like?

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/amy_winehouse_crotch_rot.jpg

Oh, Amy....

frisbeee
01-30-2009, 07:15 PM

what the fuck is wrong with you people, do you research anything or do you just keep hitting the "bitch and moan" button????

dude look at that picture above your post

enjoy her set.

litmuse88
01-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I like Amy Winehouse. I've heard her renditions of Teach Me Tonight and Tenderly, and she blew me away. Great voice.

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Janet? I know not of whom you speak.

sorry.....because you obvoisly couldnt figure out who i was talking about...

Janice Joplin

and in case you cant figure out the rest of the names, that would be Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix, and Kurt Cobain.

__db_
01-30-2009, 07:19 PM
She was great at Coachella '07. Most people go to Coachella to hear great music, not to judge someone else's personal life.

humanoid
I think she's very talented and an interesting performer...I've seen her twice, including Coachella 2007, and she was good each time

she is not known solely for being a trainwreck, although that has overshadowed her talent in the last year or two...many talented people have had some serious issues over the years, and some have conquered them to go on to great things, some have not

If you're talking about her single Rehab, I think that's her worst song of all of them...she has many other very good ones, and I know many people that listen to her

rskapcat
It's Janis.

HunterGather
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
I like her music.
I liked her whole BACK TO BLACK album. One of my favs ever!
Not just the singles.

I'm glad she's gonna perform coachella again.

Go see someone else if you don't like her :)

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM

Janice Joplin

and in case you cant figure out the rest of the names, that would be Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix, and Kurt Cobain.

You're a dumbass

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I just want to know who actually listens to her. you people get so offended so easily

Sexecutioner
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
No I've only really heard her single and I didn't like it.

But are people on this forum excited about it?

cause besides you I haven't heard a single positive remark from anybody

she has an amazing voice and back to black is a great album, maybe you should listen to it before you talk so much shit. i agree she is a piece of trash crack whore who is wasting her talent, but when she is coherent enough to keep up with her band, she puts on a pretty good show.

this is from Glastonbury this past summer:
iVqepyF94xA

gooftroop
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Listen to her album "Frank" and then make your call. Yeah Wino is a fuckup but she has serious chops and writing skills.

Fuck Me Pumps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXddDLvQx0)

Not even close to her best song either. Not for everyone of course. And
she was never that attractive but she was fine looking back in the day. Let's hope she gets better, seriously.

andromedarkly
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Gotta admit, her rep does proceed her....

Beef Jerky
01-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Look how cute she used to look

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Amy_Winehouse/AmyWinehouse_Mazur_14608725.jpg

Trudeau
01-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm a fan. Brilliant voice. And how does she not "fit in" at Coachella?

humanoid
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I just want to know who actually listens to her. you people get so offended so easily

I thought I answered your question reasonably

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:30 PM
It's Janis.

im sorry was this thread about Amy or my spelling of names????

cause thats all youve been able to argue or point out?

So let me ask you this in a wittle baby kinda way.....

Rskapcat would you disregaurd Jimmy Hendrix as an amazing artist because he was a trainwreck?

If you were alive during the 60s would you have skipped his set because of all the nasty things you heard and saw in the media?????

this is the image im starting to get from you......

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/trc/2006/manual/illos/sheep.jpg

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I thought I answered your question reasonably

I wasn't talking to you humanoid. just other people are taking it the wrong way.

I honestly wanted to know. Cause I don't hate her, but all I know of her is Rehab/trainwreck. I probably should have phrased the first post better, haha.

I can see we got some fans. I respect that. I'll actually check her out before I go see her live

chiapet
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
So you haven't heard anyone talk about her except on all the other threads that have been posted on the topic. Of course you wouldn't know 'nough to use the search button.

Back to Black is good in its entirety. One of my favorite albums of the last few year. It's incredibly rare these days for an entire album to be good. Hers goes beyond the obvious singles.

rskapcat
01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
For the record, I think Amy Winehouse is immensely talented. I hope she brings her A-game to Coachella; if she does, I think she could put on a very good show. She's a powerful performer with impressive pipes.

Happy?

humanoid
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I wasn't talking to you humanoid. just other people are taking it the wrong way.

I honestly wanted to know. Cause I don't hate her, but all I know of her is Rehab/trainwreck. I probably should have phrased the first post better, haha.

I can see we got some fans. I respect that. I'll actually check her out before I go see her live

I actually like her a lot...I think she is billed too high though, something will probably be added

it's understandable that you may think of her as a trainwreck, she's done that to herself....beyond that though, she is very talented

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
And to coachellabound. Shut the hell up. you know nothing.

If you can't spell Janis or Jimi right and you obviously don't even know who Brian Jones is then shut the hell up. The 27 club has nothing to do with Amy Whinehouse.

and they weren't all trainwrecks. You just say that because they all did drugs. Every fucking musician did drugs back then. You're a retarded sack of shit.

and don't go googling answers and coming back to me with some dumbass comeback remark.

it's people like you that make this world so fucking annoying.

GaragePoet
01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
It's Janis.

and Jimi

andromedarkly
01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Something is wrong though about having Jimi Hendrix and Amy in the same ball park...they just don't mix...

Hendrix out of his gourd on H would blow the bejezzus out of half the line-up we have now...hell...

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
For the record, I think Amy Winehouse is immensely talented. I hope she brings her A-game to Coachella; if she does, I think she could put on a very good show. She's a powerful performer with impressive pipes.

Happy?

hahaha! I dont even know what to write, you wasted the last 15 minutes of my life, still havnt answered the question and are trying to end this with a cop-out, "like yeah dude shes talented, just disregaurd all those things i just said just like i disregaurd her Grammy awards...."

Happy as a clam brotha!

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Something is wrong though about having Jimi Hendrix and Amy in the same ball park...they just don't mix...

Hendrix out of his gourd on H would blow the bejezzus out of half the line-up we have now...hell...

AMEN brother

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:41 PM

The point i was trying to make is that theyre both insanely talented artists who let substance get the best of them....and are you going to not aknowledge someones talent because of the way they choice to live their life?

I thought it was a simple question but some people seem more interested in grammer than anything else....

andromedarkly
And I'm old enough to have seen him in a show...damn!

rskapcat
For clarification, was your question whether or not I would disregard Amy's talent because of her personal issues? If that's the question, no, I wouldn't. I try not to let my opinion of someone's personal life affect how I view their artistic achievements. The same answer applies to the hypothetical question regarding Jimi Hendrix.

HunterGather
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I like her look in the early BACK TO BLACK era. That is, pre honey comb hair:
http://www.soulcastmusic.co.uk/var/soulcast/storage/images/media/images/amy_winehouse/362-1-eng-US/amy_winehouse_large.jpg
http://www.dorkmag.com/mon29jan/amyw1.jpg

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
And to coachellabound. Shut the hell up. you know nothing.

If you can't spell Janis or Jimi right and you obviously don't even know who Brian Jones is then shut the hell up. The 27 club has nothing to do with Amy Whinehouse.

and they weren't all trainwrecks. You just say that because they all did drugs. Every fucking musician did drugs back then. You're a retarded sack of shit.

and don't go googling answers and coming back to me with some dumbass comeback remark.

it's people like you that make this world so fucking annoying.

they werent all trainwrecks..... then why the fuck were they all dead before 30????? that shit doesnt just happen to normal people, or even recreational drug users. They all took it too far.......

Rockstarboy37
Grammar? you can't even get the name janis right. Retard

Janet? Janet? Do you even listen to any of these people.

Dont answer that. you're too retarded.

andromedarkly
The point i was trying to make is that theyre both insanely talented artists who let substance get the best of them....and are you going to not aknowledge someones talent because of the way they choice to live their life?

I thought it was a simple question but some people seem more interested in grammer than anything else....
I totally get that...drugs, whatever, shouldn't disqualify someone....but...

Well, she just never did it for me, and just saying, putting her in with legends at this stage...can we compare her with someone else for chrisse sake?

sydaud
I like Amy Winehouse. Simply stated. Listened to her last CD earlier today and said to myself, "This is a damn good CD."

Xrawrthatboy
FACT: drug issues make for better artists.
get that winehouse bitch outta rehab STAT!
(but yeah second line material Amy is not)

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I like Amy Winehouse. Simply stated. Listened to her last CD earlier today and said to myself, "This is a damn good CD."

Respectable answer. Kudos

andromedarkly
01-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I do some of my best writing when I'm drunk...just saying...

chiapet
01-30-2009, 07:49 PM

I'd certainly say that dying before the age of 30 in a substance abuse related death certainly qualifies them as belonging to the same category of squandering talent. Using drugs is one thing, being so out of control that you wreck or end your life is another story altogether. You can't write that off as being the thing that "every fucking musician" did then.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I'll actually check her out before I go see her live

listen to back to black, the album as a whole is excellent. rehab is definitely one of the weaker songs on there. also, check out the cover of the zutons song "valerie" she did with mark ronson.

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Grammar? you can't even get the name janis right. Retard

Janet? Janet? Do you even listen to any of these people.

Dont answer that. you're too retarded.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5917/grammartimegi7.jpg

oh im sorry i forgot i was at school. dude you and Rskapcat are like the Hitler and Eva Braun of the "Grammer Nazi's"

Did i miss spell anything there you fucking CHAD?!?

rskapcat
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I was an English major. Sue me.

And I think I adequately answered your question above.

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd certainly say that dying before the age of 30 in a substance abuse related death certainly qualifies them as belonging to the same category of squandering talent. Using drugs is one thing, being so out of control that you wreck or end your life is another story altogether. You can't write that off as being the thing that "every fucking musician" did then.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
For clarification, was your question whether or not I would disregard Amy's talent because of her personal issues? If that's the question, no, I wouldn't. I try not to let my opinion of someone's personal life affect how I view their artistic achievements. The same answer applies to the hypothetical question regarding Jimi Hendrix.

I was an English major. Sue me.

And I think I adequately answered your question above.

Yeah, you did. Thanks....but understand this is a message board, not english class.

Im not getting graded on this and when you type fast sometimes you type the wrong thing. Someone who majored in english or anybody whos ever used a keyboard should be able to grasp that concept....yeahh? or is that too much...?

did i put too many periods before my question marks??? does that bother you...?

JewFace
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Add me to the list of fans. Besides the smoking vocals, unique phrasing, the retro-soul sound and the 'look', I also think she's a rather talented lyricist. I've seen her twice before. Once in the UK when she was in top shape and appeared to be sober. She was phenomenal. The second time I saw her she was a complete disaster and I seriously considered leaving early.

I'm smelling a 'comeback' and a lot of free pr for Coachella as a result of this booking. I'm hoping for a great performance from her, though I would rather that she'd returned after she released another album.

She'll definitely have a big crowd. Back to Black was critically adored and sold millions of copies. That's not to say that sales are an indication of artistic merit at all. But she'll have plenty of people there anxious to see her set. Back to Black's been out for a couple of years now so she doesn't have any new 'buzz' so that's probably why you're not seeing a lot of positive chatter about her on here.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:00 PM
At the time, drug use was just part of the culture. Maybe not for kurt, but for the rest of them it was. They weren't all seen as "trainwrecks" they were seen as part of the counter culture at the time. And just because it went so far as to kill them doesn't qualify them as a trainwreck or squandering talent. They were a casualty of the times. A message to those who were indulging in such activities.

Brian jones drowned in a pool for christ's sake. That's what drugs do to people.

Doesn't make him a trainwreck. A train wreck you can see from a mile away. It doesn't just happen out of the blue like that.

Syd barrett was a trainwreck (not part of the club, part of the culture), and I'll admit Kurt Cobain (nothing to do with the time) was but, the rest of them I'm not so sure.

Morrison was probably the only one that I could see as a trainwreck.

Jimi was never a trainwreck though. That's for damn sure.

chiapet
01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Jimi was well documented to have drinking problems. I've heard stories parents' friends about seeing him at concerts so drunk he basically had to be propped up. i don't know that people like Amy are really any worse than musicians were in the past, we just have the benefit of being well connected to the media and internet these days.

rskapcat
01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Jimi was well documented to have drinking problems. I've heard stories parents' friends about seeing him at concerts so drunk he basically had to be propped up. i don't know that people like Amy are really any worse than musicians were in the past, we just have the benefit of being well connected to the media and internet these days.

Good point.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
About the connection we have to the media now thats true. In fact I was going to bring that up.

It's all the media's fault I even think of her as a trainwreck anyway.

But Jimi hendrix is so much better than any music that's come out since him so calling him a trainwreck. I disagree.

chiapet
01-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Sorry, but that is being a trainwreck. As great as he was as a musician, his personal life was messy -- you don't think w/ today's media his drinking, drug use and tendency to beat up his girlfriends wouldn't make for incredibly bad press and reputation?

Plus, just think how much more you'd think of him if he'd recorded and played out for another 10 or so years and then gracefully called it quits.

karecares
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
btw i don't care if one is a trainwreck in their personal life i just don't like it when it has an effect on the live show. plenty of addicts can perform live but the trainwreck ruins my show watching experience especially when someone is as talented as she is and can't bring it

Trudeau
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Let's remember, drugs tend to produce great music.

Case in point. Remember Trent Reznor before he "got clean?" I remember that legend. Now, well, I cry whenever I hear new NIN on the radio; and die a little on the inside too.

karecares
01-30-2009, 08:17 PM
i agree

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
It's all the media's fault I even think of her as a trainwreck anyway.

hahaha i guess i should have posted this picture for you then.....

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/trc/2006/manual/illos/sheep.jpg

"baaaaaaaah! meediaaa feeed meee"

obzen
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
<-----NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Coachellabound your ignorance could fill an olympic sized swimming pool

Coachella Bound
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Coachellabound your ignorance could fill an olympic sized swimming pool

Awwwww are you upset because i compared you to a simple minded creature.... im sorry.

and if im ignorant because i mispelled Janis and Jimi then...guilty as charged!

Take me away gestapo.......

woogie846
01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm still a little hesitant to believe that she'll actually be there.

CitizenJ
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Im not a big Amy Winehouse fan, but i will surely be there to see the trainwreck.

sin213
01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
i would like to check her out. i like her music and voice. thing is, there is a high probability that it'll be a disasterous set and it wouldn't have been worth missing whatever else may be going on.

i may catch the beginning, provided there is nothing really, really good on. if she is doing good, i'll stay. bad, i'll bail to something better.

portisheadgrl88
01-30-2009, 09:27 PM
she is amazing and shes TRYING to get better..-shrugs- i cant wait to see her.

morelifefucker
01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm still a little hesitant to believe that she'll actually be there.

I hope she makes it. She going to be really interesting to see.

WhyTheLongFace
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
raises hand

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
raises hand

Yes do you have a question?

PrettyRagdoll
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
She was trainwreck. I sincerely hope she's gotten that shit under control and makes a successful comeback at Coachella. I want her to actually live long enough to create a follow up to Back to Black.

So yeah, I'll try and catch her

shotglass75
01-31-2009, 12:00 AM
she has an amazing voice and back to black is a great album, maybe you should listen to it before you talk so much shit. i agree she is a piece of trash crack whore who is wasting her talent, but when she is coherent enough to keep up with her band, she puts on a pretty good show.

this is from Glastonbury this past summer:
iVqepyF94xA

That is not from this past year. She was on The Pyramid Stage this year not the Jazz World Stage. I am being anal about this because I was there.

halloweenjack63
02-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Janice Joplin

Sorry - but maybe if you learn how to spell the names correctly - it's Janis not Janet or Janice and also - Jimi Hendrix - at least you got the other two correct :)

RIP Lux Interior

Grant
02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I think she's very talented, but she's like Whitney Houston... Except Amy's (or Amy's band's) songs are actually good.

bonerfromgrowingpains
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM

thank you again....i think that some people on this board are absolutely fucking retarded. does anyone remember when she already played coachella, then like 3 years later she won like album of the year...i remember that time...

DelmatheBarbarian
02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, I think she is incredibly talented. I think she speaks to the female population and if you are smart, you will go to her show for the chicks.

Sexecutioner
02-13-2009, 03:36 PM
That is not from this past year. She was on The Pyramid Stage this year not the Jazz World Stage. I am being anal about this because I was there.

whoops, you are right. i remember watching the one from the pyramid stage online when it happened, and thought that's the one i posted. good correction though.

here is one from last summer:

7El9NPIyHHA

KungFuJay
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Back to Black is a fantastic album.

AlexBlewHimB4U
02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I love Amy! I saw her in 07 (missed Artic Monkeys, still no regrets) and loved every second of it. It was right before she lost her shit so she did an excellent set and was fucking hilarious (intentionally). I am stoked to see her again this year....if she lives to April. haha.

crazzz2007
02-13-2009, 04:32 PM
what a horrible thread

DelmatheBarbarian
02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
what a horrible thread

Ok, so why is it that knowing the subject, you decided to come in and read? And then on top of read, you felt the need to post that it was a "Horrible thread"?

Was the purpose so that we knew what your specific stance is on these types of threads? Because you didn't really offer your opinion either way.

Not trying to pick on you, but seems kind of... odd?

Ustupidfuc
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
CRACK!

sacleonard
02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
thank you again....i think that some people on this board are absolutely fucking retarded. does anyone remember when she already played coachella, then like 3 years later she won like album of the year...i remember that time...

Disclaimer: Coachella Bound is going to hate this response.

I'm trying to ignore the grammar issue, where you ask if we remember any time since 2007 (when Amy first played Coachella). But I can't ignore the math, where you say that she won album of the year three years later (2010? WTF??!!!).

Answers: yes, I remember most of 2007 through present, but don't remember 2010. Before you call people retarded, why you better look in the mirror, or at least get your facts straight.

halloweenjack63
02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
have you ever listened to her music before? she's incredibly talented. it's a shame she has so many ugly habits that overshadow her work, because that woman can SING.

I agree 100% with you.

Xenocide
02-14-2009, 07:17 AM
unless i hear about a breakdown in the tabloids in the weeks leading up to coach, then i'm passing (Winehouse is one of the FEW bands playing Saturday i for sure wanna pass on)...

i ain't interested in her making a straight comeback, she was never all that great to begin with...

sacleonard
02-14-2009, 09:05 AM
unless i hear about a breakdown in the tabloids in the weeks leading up to coach, then i'm passing (Winehouse is one of the FEW bands playing Saturday i for sure wanna pass on)...

i ain't interested in her making a straight comeback, she was never all that great to begin with...

It's funny that you mentioned it:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2238137.ece