PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 2009 Breakout Group

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
In the past years there have been some breakout groups that all went on to have pretty good response and success. The buzz about these bands continued to grow until the festival and then they kinda blew up after their amazing sets at Coachella.

2008 - MGMT
2007 - Silversun Pickups/Hot Chip
2006 - Wolfmother
2005 - Bloc Party

So my question is, who is going to be the breakout group that not too many people know about right now, but come the festival EVERYONE will be wanting to see?

nationocean
01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Hercules

MissingPerson
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I say Beirut. I hope Beirut.

Know who I like? Beirut.

Carry on.

BrickTop24
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
The Airborne Toxic Event

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I've heard alot of buzz of airborne lately. Same thing happened with MGMT last year. but who knows, i've heard the same about beirut.

Wolfmother is great live too. First time I ever crowd surfed when i saw them at weenie roast.

Knapptime
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Cage the Elephant

Unless the whole British Indie/Pop/Rock thing is out now. I don't talk to the cool kids anymore.

benhur
01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
my guess is no age, gaslight anthem, or band of horses.

Stickjohn
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Interesting question! I went to my first Coachella solely because Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was going to be there (well, almost. not like it took a lot of convincing.) So there's "breakout" and there's "sustained trajectory" or something. And the whole "popular = bad" thing that drives me nuts. Huge amount of buzz around Glasvegas but ...my taste leads more towards someone like Cloud Cult, but can't see them as a "breakout" band. I'm totally failing at answering this question, but I love the question. Next!

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I hate getting break-outs just before Coachella.

Genedefekt
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Friendly Fires and Fleet Foxes

SP The Ghost
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
How the fuck are the Fleet Foxes so high up on the poster?

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
White Lies,
Friendly Fires
&
the Bloody Beetroots

idriveawkwardly
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Beirut or Band of Horses

gooftroop
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Probably because of all the top-ten lists their album made this past year.

Raptor Clinton
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I would say TV on the Radio but I think they're already a "hot item" now that Dear Science is out.

P.S. Gooftroop, your avatar is amazing. GREEN MAN.

nationocean
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Interesting question! I went to my first Coachella solely because Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was going to be there (well, almost. not like it took a lot of convincing.) So there's "breakout" and there's "sustained trajectory" or something. And the whole "popular = bad" thing that drives me nuts. Huge amount of buzz around Glasvegas but ...my taste leads more towards someone like Cloud Cult, but can't see them as a "breakout" band. I'm totally failing at answering this question, but I love the question. Next!

yikes.

TickleMeElmo
01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Glasvegas or The Bloody Beetroots

matsuolost
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
beirut (zach c.) is already as big as hes gonna get
band of horses, tv on the radio: already big (just look at their spots on the poster)
this year unknown thats gonna be everywhere:

white lies

Barbara, the ninja
01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm betting on Friendly Fires

KNEE GROWS
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
MY MONEY IS ON RADIOHEAD

Kid B
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM
White Lies

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM
band of horses, tv on the radio: already big (just look at their spots on the poster)
this year unknown thats gonna be everywhere:

white lies

We have a winner!

ri0tp00f
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Blitzen Trapper

Knapptime
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Paul McCartney.

I hear he's good.

KNEE GROWS
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
WHITE LIES SUCKS, THEY'RE LIKE A NON FLAMED VERSION OF THE KILLERS

nothingisnothing
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Flying Lotus

Oh wait...

MissingPerson
01-30-2009, 04:33 PM

That's probably fair enough. Looking at the poster, I'm surprised how high he's billed... even if it probably has more to do with the overall weakness of the line up.

brokenDREAMS
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
n.a.s.a.

Foucault
01-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Hercules, Fleet Foxes (who are listed too high, IMHO), and Ting TIngs

instinct
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
In the past years there have been some breakout groups that all went on to have pretty good response and success. The buzz about these bands continued to grow until the festival and then they kinda blew up after their amazing sets at Coachella.

2008 - MGMT
2006 - Wolfmother
2005 - Bloc Party

So my question is, who is going to be the breakout group that not too many people know about right now, but come the festival EVERYONE will be wanting to see?

2004 - The Killers

I don't really like them.. but they went from the bottom line of the flyer to headlining in 5 years.

Tosh0
01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
i can EASILY see the beetroots taking the spot

IlliniQ
01-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Ah, let's see....maybe producing one of the top 3 or 4 most acclaimed (deservedly I might add) albums of 2008 (including a #1 nod from Pitchfork) has just a little to do with it.

MissingPerson
01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Man, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I do not get Fleet Foxes.

edbangerkid
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM
its tight that the bloody beetroots are playing at such a well known event and are being considered "breakout", ive known and been listening to their music and remixes since before coachella 08. its gonna be cool seeing them for the second time. lets go bobby rifo!

IlliniQ
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Of the bigger names, the obvious answer is the Fleet Foxes...people who have yet to see them live have no idea how well their harmonies hold up live.

But of all the acts, my money is on A Place To Bury Strangers. Everyone I know who's seen them live says they absolutely destroy, though I have a dark feeling they will be counter programmed against McCartney in the Gobi or Mojave ala Black Lips/Jack Johnson and end up being missed by most.

Another experimental New York Band, Gang Gang Dance, could really raise their stock. I'm guessing they'll be a Sahara act, and see them playing really well there.

The one I'd truly love to see blow up is Okkervil River, because from an multiple album quality standpoint, I don't think there's been ten better bands on the planet over the last five years, but friends I know that caught them at Lolla last year said they were pretty disappointing.

Way down on the bill...look out for San Diego's The Night Marchers. Got a nice, urgent low fi punk sound and a couple great tracks.

Hercules...I don't know...I'm guessing Antony will join them since he's on the next day himself, but I just think that once you get past Blind and their theme song it's a massively overrated album and don't see the material being that mind blowing live.

As far as others...Glasvegas is another hype band that lacks great material, but might have enough stage presence to wow. Late of the Pier and/or Los Campensinos could also surprise.

And don't count out old timer Booker T...I'm definitely looking forward to some early afternoon Green Onions.

And on a contrarian note...MGMT's success had nothing to do with their Coachella show...I was there and it was one of the lamest performances of the festival, right there with Vampire Weekends. MGMT's success is entirely due to having had 3 killer singles on it's debut release.

If there was a performer who blew their rep up last year, in my mind at least, it was Sharon Jones. She positively killed.

AbundantChoice
01-30-2009, 05:44 PM
But of all the acts, my money is on A Place To Bury Strangers. Everyone I know who's seen them live says they absolutely destroy,

Another experimental New York Band, Gang Gang Dance, could really raise their stock. I'm guessing they'll be a Sahara act, and see them playing really well there.

APTBP definitely bring the chaos live. Theyre also very, *very* loud live. I don't know if Coachella will let them get as loud as they normally do, but i'd strongly advise earplugs.

Gang Gang Dance is getting tons of press... but I still can't tell if the singer legitimately can't sing worth a damn, or is pretending like she can't to better fit in with the whole hipster-ethno scene thing

Gribbz
01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Late of the Pier.

gmoneyak
01-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Of the bigger names, the obvious answer is the Fleet Foxes...people who have yet to see them live have no idea how well their harmonies hold up live.

But of all the acts, my money is on A Place To Bury Strangers. Everyone I know who's seen them live says they absolutely destroy, though I have a dark feeling they will be counter programmed against McCartney in the Gobi or Mojave ala Black Lips/Jack Johnson and end up being missed by most.

The one I'd truly love to see blow up is Okkervil River, because from an multiple album quality standpoint, I don't think there's been ten better bands on the planet over the last five years, but friends I know that caught them at Lolla last year said they were pretty disappointing.

Way down on the bill...look out for San Diego's The Night Marchers. Got a nice, urgent low fi punk sound and a couple great tracks.

Hercules...I don't know...I'm guessing Antony will join them since he's on the next day himself, but I just think that once you get past Blind and their theme song it's a massively overrated album and don't see the material being that mind blowing live.

As far as others...Glasvegas is another hype band that lacks great material, but might have enough stage presence to wow. Late of the Pier and/or Los Campensinos could also surprise.

And don't count out old timer Booker T...I'm definitely looking forward to some early afternoon Green Onions.

And on a contrarian note...MGMT's success had nothing to do with their Coachella show...I was there and it was one of the lamest performances of the festival, right there with Vampire Weekends. MGMT's success is entirely due to having had 3 killer singles on it's debut release.

If there was a performer who blew their rep up last year, in my mind at least, it was Sharon Jones. She positively killed.

Great post, you beat me to the point about MGMT.

I've also been looking foward to APTBS..

Aurgasm
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Hercules

ewww.

Late of the Pier

Sushov23
01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
white lies, the bloody beetroots, the gaslight anthem and also the courteeners.

digitaldragon03
01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
White Lies. They have such a huge stadium filling sound.

Aurgasm
Great post, you beat me to the point about MGMT.

I've also been looking foward to APTBS..

HOW WAS DEVOTCHKA???

im on my way right now to interview the Egyptian Lover

TBrown33
Friendly Fires for sure. I'd say Fleet Foxes but they're pretty much already at the point where MGMT was last April. Hell, they were just on SNL.

nothingisnothing
01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Man, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I do not get Fleet Foxes.

They're a poor mans Animal Collective. There I said it

SurLaCarte
01-30-2009, 06:50 PM

2008 - MGMT
2006 - Wolfmother
2005 - Bloc Party

These are all wrong.

Sebnoize
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Airborn Toxic Event, Late of the Pier, Glasvegas

SurLaCarte
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
I say Beirut. I hope Beirut.

Know who I like? Beirut.

Carry on.

If Beirut was gonna breakout, it would have been during their debut. The new material is decent, but nothing's been as good as Gulag Orkestar and the Lon Gisland EP. Face it, Zach Condon has reached the ceiling of his popularity.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
no age, fleet foxes, and the bloody beetroots.

SurLaCarte
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
They're a poor mans Animal Collective. There I said it

Have you ever heard either of these bands?

gmoneyak
01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
HOW WAS DEVOTCHKA???

im on my way right now to interview the Egyptian Lover

Very nice, I'm actually in the process of uploading some pics. I'll post a couple in the Upcoming Shows thread. I snagged the setlist as well.

They're one of those groups who sound infinitely better live than on record. Crooked Fingers were a nice lil' band as well, 1st time hearing them.

Aurgasm
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Very nice, I'm actually in the process of uploading some pics. I'll post a couple in the Upcoming Shows thread. I snagged the setlist as well.

They're one of those groups who sound infinitely better live than on record. Crooked Fingers were a nice lil' band as well, 1st time hearing them.

Awesome.. I'm interviewing them at a music store. I've never seen them live but have listened t them for a decade it seems...

ill check the pics when i get home.

peace.

Caligator30
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Glasvegas will rock it this year!
psyched to see Airborne Toxic Event as well!

johnnystar
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
WHITE LINES

Caligator30
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
These are all wrong.

agree 100% thought MGMT was weak and that Bloc Party show sucked....and I think the Killers might possibly be the most dissapointing saturday headliner in Coachella history! I am hoping they add another big name. Guess it all depends on tix sales

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Tv On The Radio

carolinesgood
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
2004 - The Killers

I don't really like them.. but they went from the bottom line of the flyer to headlining in 5 years.

so did jack johnson --- ha
i think blitzentrapper and mex institute of sound have good chances to do well, staying power -- that's another story....

MissingPerson
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
If Beirut was gonna breakout, it would have been during their debut. The new material is decent, but nothing's been as good as Gulag Orkestar and the Lon Gisland EP. Face it, Zach Condon has reached the ceiling of his popularity.

Hmm. On the one hand, I think it'd be a shame for the wider audience to miss out on this music... but on the other, I don't think that much attention would be good for Zach Condon at all.

SurLaCarte
01-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Hmm. On the one hand, I think it'd be a shame for the wider audience to miss out on this music... but on the other, I don't think that much attention would be good for Zach Condon at all.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get more attention, just that it isn't likely. Hope I'm proven wrong.

caljona
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Airborn Toxic Event, Late of the Pier, Glasvegas

Agreed, all have at least one incredibly catchy tune

shotglass75
01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I for one, LOVED MGMT's performance and thought it was great. I loved the way they continued to build their sets momentum. I know people didn't like the fact that "Kids" was played with a backing trackk but I thought it was a great way to interact with the crowd and go back to their roots of how they started off and used to do shows. I have listened to Airborne Toxic Event and don't think it's anything amazing. Their "hit single" is really good but nothing out stands out. White Lies is decent but nothing to wet myself over.

SubBass49
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Shroomers & acid heads will discover they love TINARIWEN...probably one of the least-heard bands on the lineup (and a suggestion I made early on when GV was asking who people would like to see in '09).

Tripped out African music by a band of fucking nomads...seriously. I can't wait to see 'em play live. Hopefully they're a sundown set the way Dj Shadow was in 99.

Ardentbiscuit
01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
The Courteeners

Or

Late of the Pier

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
These are all wrong.

agreed
here's the correct answer
04: the killers
05: arcade fire
06: editors
07: gogol bordello
08: vampire weekend (i wasnt there though. i would say the national, but they were pretty big by then)

and as i said,
09: white lies

you people have no fuckin' idea what youre talking about
silversun pickups' set was horrible
no breakout at all.
and you wont hear tinariwen everywhere this year, be realistic
breakout band was someone that hardly anyone knew and put on an amazing show or at least good enough to garner instant recognition

Monklish
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Nobody cares about Editors, you twerp.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
WHITE LIES SUCKS, THEY'RE LIKE A NON FLAMED VERSION OF THE KILLERS

THANK YOU!

Except I don't think either suck. I stopped hating music. I just don't listen to most of it.

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM

and for wolfmother?

Monklish
01-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Nobody cares about them either.

sydaud
01-31-2009, 01:52 PM

I really, really liked their first CD. The 2nd one, I listened to one time, found it bereft of anything that would be associated with good music and never listened to it again.

shotglass75
01-31-2009, 02:03 PM
and for wolfmother?

As far as I remember, Wolfmother had people spilling out way in the back of the tent and on the side and every single person in the tent was going ape shit. Plus after Coachella they got a huge following, Played Lolla and Roo and went on a world tour of decent sized venues. to say nobody cares is dumb. To say, YOU don't care is fine but that band got pretty huge there for a year or so.

The Editors didn't get as big of a reaction from the public and from the media after playing Coachella as Wolfmother did.

Arcade Fire I didn't put as the breakout performers because they were already huge and already had a massive following. But I could see how some would think they were. They certainly stood out for me. Vampier Weekend blew last year. And Gogol Bordello... c'mon man, it's a schtick. They are riding a wave that is sure to break any day now. yeah their shows I guess in some way can be fun, but can you really say you love rocking out to Gogol Bordello in your car or on your way to work or school?

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
As far as I remember, Wolfmother had people spilling out way in the back of the tent and on the side and every single person in the tent was going ape shit. Plus after Coachella they got a huge following, Played Lolla and Roo and went on a world tour of decent sized venues. to say nobody cares is dumb. To say, YOU don't care is fine but that band got pretty huge there for a year or so.

The Editors didn't get as big of a reaction from the public and from the media after playing Coachella as Wolfmother did.

you could say the same about clap your hands say yeah
doesnt make them any better

Amneeziac
01-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Already have buzz: Beirut, Fleet Foxes, TV on the Radio, Peter Bjorn and John, The Ting Tings

My guesses: White Lies (there music is being featured on Gossip Girl, that's always an indication), Hercules & Love Affair, Late of the Pier, The Courteeners, and Ida Maria.

After SXSW this will be a bit easier to figure out.

paganman7
01-31-2009, 02:08 PM
M.A.N.D.Y. is going to fucking destroy the Sahara!

shotglass75
01-31-2009, 02:10 PM
you could say the same about clap your hands say yeah
doesnt make them any better

to each his own. agree to disagree

Monklish
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
The Airborne Toxic Event

They blow live unbelievably. They're going to disappoint everyone with their over-40 horseshit.

Arcade Fire I didn't put as the breakout performers because they were already huge and already had a massive following.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Raptor Clinton
01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Either Gang Gang Dance or the Gaslight Anthem.

Raptor Clinton
01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Or maybe No Age. I'm no expert.

bluemamba
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM
White Lies

Remember i said it.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
TBB are already kinda big
but i can see them breaking out after Coachella

I can also see LoTP busting out

SurLaCarte
01-31-2009, 03:10 PM
2005 was clearly Arcade Fire. Yes, they were already somewhat big on the internets, but that set at Coachella was the first big performance they did (probably, I should add, the best set I've ever seen at a music festival) and it catapulted them into another league which bands like Wolfmother or Bloc Party have never even gotten close to. What's Wolfmother doing these days? Who cares.

2006 I'm not really sure that there is one. A lot of smaller bands played good sets and get a little bigger as a result, but no one really blew up after Coachella because of great sets. Being on the bill probably did wonders for Animal Collective (who have been gradually ramping up their album sales ever since), but I don't think it was the set that did, since it wasn't all that great.

2007 & 2008 - I'm getting lazy...

2009 I disagree with White Lies. "Death" is a great song, but the rest of their catalogue is weak, and that will be a barrier to them taking off. They're gonna get played to death in Britain, but not here.

SubBass49
02-01-2009, 10:10 AM
My guesses: White Lies (there music is being featured on Gossip Girl, that's always an indication), Hercules & Love Affair, Late of the Pier, The Courteeners, and Ida Maria.

Wow...

Please people...

If being featured on GOSSIP GIRL tells you what music is good, please kill yourself.

I can just see the people back in 1991 talking about how great Color Me Badd and Jeremy Jordan were because they were featured on Beverly Hills 90210. This is the same shit, updated for 2008/2009.

Gribbz
02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Airborne toxic event are turrrrible. (Charles Barkley voice)

dancedancedance
02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Wow...

Please people...

If being featured on GOSSIP GIRL tells you what music is good, please kill yourself.

I can just see the people back in 1991 talking about how great Color Me Badd and Jeremy Jordan were because they were featured on Beverly Hills 90210. This is the same shit, updated for 2008/2009.

lol. well stated... aww color me badd. i think i had that cassette, hah.

Pixiessp
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Beirut, in my eyes, have already broken out. Can't see them getting too much bigger.

I am just so excited to get to see them again.

Trudeau
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow...

Please people...

It is not an indication of it being good, but it does strongly suggest buzz.

woogie846
02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I bet the Bloody Beetroots will become the new Justice.

Gribbz
02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Do the Bloody Beetroots pretend as well?

roberto73
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow...

Please people...

Also featured on 90210: The Flaming Lips. I'm not saying White Lies are necessarily comparable, but you can't immediately discount a band just because they've appeared on a popular show.

Pixiessp
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't like Justice.

Weatherman
02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
And Gogol Bordello... c'mon man, it's a schtick. They are riding a wave that is sure to break any day now. yeah their shows I guess in some way can be fun, but can you really say you love rocking out to Gogol Bordello in your car or on your way to work or school?

Their tent set was massive in 07 though.

Monklish
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Gogol Bordello blows.

Apeskies
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Amy Winehouse, obviously.

Apeskies
02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
No, but really...

Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses. IMO.

=)

I wish MMJ was playing Coachella again. Ugh.

zenidogx
02-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Los Campesinos! will tear the shit apart!
the sad thing is, i won't be there to enjoy it.

the 2008 breakout was obviously Uffie btw.

JorgeC
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
in order for a band to "blow-up" after Coachella, they can't really be on the first 3 lines of each day (I agree that Beirut, Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes aren't going to get any bigger than they already are...selling out mid-size venues...)

as for the rest of the line-up:

White Lies - Friday
Glasvegas/Ida Maria - Saturday (doing a tour together leading up to coach.)
Friendly Fires/Gaslight Anthem - Sunday.

They'll move up from the tiny clubs they've been playing to larger clubs and mid-size venues in the following year. Would've said Lykke Li, but she's bound to be a one album wonder along with every other hot scandinavian chick, a la Annie and Robyn (love the album, but that betch needs new material...). Maybe they could form some kind of Stars on 54 diva supergroup....damn that would be badass (j/k)

edbangerkid
02-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I like them dont get me wrong but there live experience is just like any other pair of djs except their in masks, but theyre still really good!

Apeskies
02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
in order for a band to "blow-up" after Coachella, they can't really be on the first 3 lines of each day (I agree that Beirut, Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes aren't going to get any bigger than they already are...selling out mid-size venues...)

alright...can't argue with that. Agreed, I don't think they will get much bigger than they are.