PDA

View Full Version : Passive's Artist Check-List

PassiveTheory
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Yo.

So instead of posting in every single artist topic, I'm just going to keep my thoughts contained here (for the most part). That being said, I've made a list of artists playing this year that I want to either familiarize myself, get to know with or discover. Here is the following:

1. Leonard Cohen
2. Antony & the Johnsons
3. Public Enemy
4. Superchunk
5. Brian Jonestown Massacre
6. M. Ward
7. The Ting Tings
8. People Under the Stairs
9. Tinwarimen
10. We Are Scientists
11. Gang Gang Dance
12. Craze and Klever
13. Ryan Bingham
14. Alberta Cross
15. Dr. Dog
16. Blitzen Trapper
17. Ida Maria
18. Gui Boratto
19. Noah and the Whale
20. The Kills
21. Lykke Li
22. Glass Candy
23. A Place to Bury Strangers
24. K'Naan

Starting with Mr. Cohen, I will be going through and listening to each of the following bands (and more, most likely) and updating this thread with Youtube vids, links, and my thoughts. Feel free to contribute.

PassiveTheory
01-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Status update:

* Got from the Library - Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light
* Got from the Library - Brian Jonestown Massace - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland
* Got from the Library - Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen
* Got from the Library - Leonard Cohen - More Best of Leonard Cohen
* Got from the Library - M. Ward - End of Amnesia
* Got from the Library - Superchunk - No Pocky for Kitty
* Got from the Library - Superchunk - Incidental Music: 1991 -
* Got from the Library - The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing
* Adding to the list:
21. Lykke Li
* Bought - Lykke Li - Youth Novels
22. Glass Candy
24. K'Naan
* Crossing out:
13. Ryan Bingham
17. Ida Maria

SFChrissy
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Talk about homework!!!

PassiveTheory
01-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Chrissy, I am motherfucking SERIOUS about this fest.

sin213
01-30-2009, 07:07 PM
i'm same way. already got some songs lined up on my mp3 player to familiarize myself with some bands i don't know. i'll be researching right up to the week of when they release set times. then i start figuring out who i can actually see and who i'll have to miss.

PassiveTheory
01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Wanna toss up a check-list like mine in here and bump off all the negative, whining, bitching threads about the lineup?

shakermaker113
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
someone needs to make a rhapsody playlist covering the entire lineup again.

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, what would be a great idea, Shake.

I'm also doing an Artist-A-Day thing on my facebook page, to boot.

Today I am listening to Youth Novels and probably the new Franz (even though that's not on my list). Maybe start Leonard Cohen tonight, we shall see.

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
and what makes you think we want to know what youre listening to?

PotVsKtl
01-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Can't you just scribble this shit in your Trapper Keeper?

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 02:34 PM

What is this? 1986? God you're old.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
I do the same thing when I go to festivals.... except I set up a spread sheet for each day with each artist on it.

I have an "Importance" column where I write Must See, Try to See, Maybe, Buzz Band or No... which rank in that order...

Then I listen and give them a grade like they were in school, and a column with random notes about genre etc.

Then when there is a conflict, I look at how important I ranked it, and then the grade if it's still the same, or maybe the genre if I feel like listening to something in particular. This also helps at some festivals when there is a time that there isnt anything you really want to see at that moment... which rarely happens.

JustSteve
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM

word.

JustSteve
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I do the same thing when I go to festivals.... except I set up a spread sheet for each day with each artist on it.

I have an "Importance" column where I write Must See, Try to See, Maybe, Buzz Band or No... which rank in that order...

Then I listen and give them a grade like they were in school, and a column with random notes about genre etc.

Then when there is a conflict, I look at how important I ranked it, and then the grade if it's still the same, or maybe the genre if I feel like listening to something in particular. This also helps at some festivals when there is a time that there isnt anything you really want to see at that moment... which rarely happens.

overkill?

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Fuck you people who are saying "why should we care". Don't waste your time on this thread then. Elitist cocksuckers.

Based off groups I already like and artists that I just found on Youtube videos and Myspace pages in the lineup section, I got these.

Friday:
Paul McCartney
Franz Ferdinand
Leonard Cohen
Beirut
The Black Keys
Girl Talk
Silversun Pickups
The Ting Tings
Crystal Method
Ghostland Observatory
Crystal Castles
The Presets
Felix Da Housecat
Bajofondo
Los Campesinos!

Saturday:
Thievery Corporation
TV on the Radio
Band of Horses
Fleet Foxes
MSTRKRFT
Atmosphere
Henry Rollins
Turbonegro
Hercules and Love Affair
Glasvegas
Amanda Palmer
The Bloody Beetroots
Liars
Thenewno2

Sunday:
The Cure
My Bloody valentine
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Paul Weller
Peter Bjorn and John
Public Enemy
Groove Armada
Christopher Lawrence
The Kills
Late of the Pier
Junior Boys
No Age
Shepard Fairey

From here, I'mma trying to check out full albums from each artist (mainly the ones I just discovered), so I'll be ready to identify and enjoy them at the shows. As you can see, I'm not too hot on some of the smaller DJs this year.

BTW, Passive, you might remember me. We met last year through my friend Andy.

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Hardly, that's impressive.

EDIT: I implore you to check out Supermayer and Gui Boratto, in terms of smaller print DJs.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
overkill?

Nah, just a music fan with time to kill over the next 2 months.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Just making sure we don't miss anything we might've wanted to see... Like what happened to me in '07.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll do this too cause it's fun times. I've got alot of work to do. I'll periodically update the list too.

Friday:
Beirut - (Heard them a couple times prior, but had no idea how aweome they actually were)
Cage the Elephant - (The Arctic Monkeys have a twin)
Crystal Castles - (I thought they were crap opening for NIN, but have crazy energy live so I might have to give them another shot. I hear the DJ set is alot better than their live set too)
Franz Ferdinand - (New album is actually pretty decent, and super danceable)
Ghostland Observatory
Girl Talk
Leonard Cohen
Los Campesinos!
Morrissey
NASA
Noah and the Whale
Paul McCartney
Silversun Pickups
Switch
Black Keys
Ting Tings

Saturday:
Thievery Corporation
TV on the Radio
Fleet Foxes
MSTRKRFT
Mastadon
Crookers
Superchunk
Glasvegas
Drive-by Truckers
Booker T
Amanda Palmer
Bloody Beetroots
Surkin, Para One
Calexico
Blitzen Trapper
Gang Gang Dance

Sunday:
The Cure
My Bloody Valentine
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Throbbing Gristle
Paul Weller
Peter Bjorn and John
X
Roni Size
Public Enemy
The Kills
Okkervil River
MANDY
Late of the Pier
K'naan
Junior Boys
Shepard Fairey
Gaslight Anthem
The Knux

brando4n82
01-31-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't mean to be a dick. Well just a little bit, but doesnt this thread beling in Misc. Babble?

Monklish
01-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Why would you think anyone would possibly give a fuck about the status of your Coachella research? Do you people actually think about this shit before you post it?

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Shouldn't you be soliciting man boy sex right now, Randy?

Monklish
01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I like chubby boys but I draw the line at you.

Seriously though, what psychological dysfunction is it that makes you think these minute of your life are possibly relevant to anyone?

bluemamba
01-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Why would you think anyone would possibly give a fuck about the status of your Coachella research? Do you people actually think about this shit before you post it?

LOL

PassiveTheory
01-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Seriously though, what psychological dysfunction is it that makes you think these minute of your life are possibly relevant to anyone?

Anything I have to say in infinitely more valuable than all the whining and bitching that's descended on these parts as of late. That's all I need to say to you.

Monklish
01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Anything I have to say in infinitely more valuable than all the whining and bitching that's descended on these parts as of late. That's all I need to say to you.

You're completely and utterly wrong. Where you go wrong is that you and the douchebags starting hate threads are both of the exact same dysfunction--you think that you matter. You think that other people should possibly spend one second of their time absorbing your asinine thoughts. YOUR Coachella doesn't mean shit to anyone but YOU.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 03:29 PM
I think it's cool knowing what other people are going to see. If a bunch of people are talking about it, I'll check it out. Meh.

phoenixsky
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM

holy balls! that's a bit much...

p.s i heart passive. everyone should be nice. there are worse threads.

Knapptime
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
holy balls! that's a bit much...

p.s i heart passive. everyone should be nice. there are worse threads.

It's not THAT much. I just listen to their Myspace... if they're complete shit it only takes you about 2 minutes to figure it out... if they're worth digging deeper then it takes a bit longer.

Besides, I work in "the biz" so to speak. It's half my job to keep up with this shit anyways.

bluemamba
01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
You're completely and utterly wrong. Where you go wrong is that you and the douchebags starting hate threads are both of the exact same dysfunction--you think that you matter. You think that other people should possibly spend one second of their time absorbing your asinine thoughts. YOUR Coachella doesn't mean shit to anyone but YOU.

True. Yes, there are worse threads. MUCH MUCH WORSE. But the above is true.

matsuolost
01-31-2009, 04:35 PM
actually i cant think of a single worse thread than this one
the others are discussing bands
this one is just a stupid list

traviscanada
01-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I enjoy Blitzen Trapper's Furr, and they put on a pretty good show too..

Mister DVNO
01-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Nobody held a gun to your head and made you read this thread, it's not like Lee shoved it in your face. It's pretty sad you had to go out of your way to post something condescending and elitist. Had a hard day at kindergarden and needed to take it out on some anonymous person over the internet?

Read your own words: " You think that other people should possibly spend one second of their time absorbing your asinine thoughts. " Isn't that ironic? Who ever gave you the right to be a douche? Who ever said YOUR opinion ever mattered, either?

I'm pretty new here but I understand that flaming's a big part of these boards. Still, there's a point when it becomes fucking ridiculous and over the top.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 10:01 PM

Well, you're wasting your time here. What's the point of a message board if you can't express yourself, just the way you are?

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
actually i cant think of a single worse thread than this one
the others are discussing bands
this one is just a stupid list

Boohoo! We are discussing bands. We're discussing what bands we are looking into. Leave if you don't want to actively participate, please.

Elitist.

shmamber
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
We Are Scientists = THE BEST !!!

You will not be disappointed! Also their lives shows RULE.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
We Are Scientists = THE BEST !!!

You will not be disappointed! Also their lives shows RULE.

I can't really decide if I like them or if they're just meh. I'll prolly check em out depending on conflicts.

shmamber
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I can't really decide if I like them or if their just meh. I'll prolly check em out depending on conflicts.

Well, I will be a short person screaming embarrassingly loudly in the front (hopefully). :P

Aurgasm
01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
i'll guarantee you will be underwhelmed by the ting tings...

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Nobody held a gun to your head and made you read this thread, it's not like Lee shoved it in your face. It's pretty sad you had to go out of your way to post something condescending and elitist. Had a hard day at kindergarden and needed to take it out on some anonymous person over the internet?

Read your own words: " You think that other people should possibly spend one second of their time absorbing your asinine thoughts. " Isn't that ironic? Who ever gave you the right to be a douche? Who ever said YOUR opinion ever mattered, either?

I'm pretty new here but I understand that flaming's a big part of these boards. Still, there's a point when it becomes fucking ridiculous and over the top.

My opinion matters because I'm not some fucking dickhead starting threads for people to track how his progress listening to the lineup goes. It matters because someone obviously needs a bit of reality injected into their myopic self-centered little snow globe. It matters because none of yours do.

Well, you're wasting your time here. What's the point of a message board if you can't express yourself, just the way you are?

That's exactly what I'm doing. This is me, the way I am. The right way. Not the Passive way.

Thank you both for playing this round of Reality Is Subjective, Fucking Get Used To It.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Monklish; you are a negative dude, my man.
I thought I recognized the avatar. Just forgot the old screen name.

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't know what you're referring to. I am, have been, and always will be: Monklish Jones.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
alright my man...
rubbertramp or leathertramp?

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I'll be a tramp in any kind of manmade substance you want.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:43 PM
What are your top 5 most anticipated acts if you are willing to answer?

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 11:44 PM
i'll guarantee you will be underwhelmed by the ting tings...

No need. I saw them and thought they were alot of fun.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Thank you both for playing this round of Reality Is Subjective, Fucking Get Used To It.

Subjective is one thing. Condescending is another, dickwad. I don't cruise message boards day and night looking to start shit. I do it to share ideas.

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
2. The Black Keys.
3. McCartney, but tentatively, fearfully. I don't want to have my favorite music ever ruined by an old man (FOR THE SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR), but then again I would really love to hear A Day In The Life all the way through on the polo fields I'm fucking gone as soon as Hey Jude starts though. No fucking way I will tolerate hearing that sentimental piece of shit.

From there on I really don't know. I have to do more listening to really evaluate who's going to make for those beautiful, drug-fueled moments. Some adds need to be made to properly flush out my weekend, that's for sure.

See? I didn't even have to make a fucking thread about it.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:48 PM
TV on the Radio?
Dig the keys.
Have you heard the Fireman album?

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Heard some of it on Stern. It actually sounded okay, but I'm still not really interested. TV On The Radio are perfectly good, I'll probably be seeing them, but I've also seen them already and I just can't say I'm eagerly anticipating it that much. I'm sure it'll be a good set, but it just doesn't have my dick wet.

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Was that so hard?

Is that what your problem is? The fact that there is a thread devoted to this? Hey man, you aren't the mod. This isn't your message board. Why do you take it so offensively?

In fact, why are you so angry? Why are you even here or plan to go to Coachella if you aren't going to be positive, open minded, and have a good time? Is life that bad?

I love drugs too, but it sounds like you gotta slow down on the opiates or something.

Done here.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Fair enough. Not too big on Fireman, either. And I am kinda worried about MAcco. could see an epic set or a really fucking sappy one.
N.A.S.A is pretty rad. If you're down with hip-hop, they have an album due out later this month that is gonna fucking rip

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Actually it is my message board. Being a mod is one thing--being an incredible asshole is a whole 'nother kind of power.

And what irritates me about it is that Passive thinks his opinions count for something, when in fact he has some of the most ungodly bad taste on the planet.

Actually no, that's not what irritates me. What irritates me is that this wasn't even a thread about what acts he likes and what ones he doesn't--IT'S A FUCKING CHECK LIST.
It's a thread for people to follow his journey of discovery along. A thread for him to list bands he's listened to.

DO YOU NOT REALIZE HOW FUCKING STUPID THIS IS NOW?

Iamjoeswastdlife
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
That does make sense, and honestly, I appreciate you clearing it up.

jjbaldwi
01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
ha ha.

Monklish
01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Yo.

So instead of posting in every single artist topic, I'm just going to keep my thoughts contained here (for the most part). That being said, I've made a list of artists playing this year that I want to either familiarize myself, get to know with or discover. Here is the following:

1. Leonard Cohen
2. Antony & the Johnsons
3. Public Enemy
4. Superchunk
6. M. Ward
7. The Ting Tings
9. Tinwarimen
10. We Are Scientists
11. Gang Gang Dance
12. Craze and Klever
13. Ryan Bingham
14. Alberta Cross
15. Dr. Dog
16. Blitzen Trapper
17. Ida Maria
18. Gui Boratto
19. Noah and the Whale
20. The Kills
21. Lykke Li
22. Glass Candy
24. K'Naan

Starting with Mr. Cohen, I will be going through and listening to each of the following bands (and more, most likely) and updating this thread with Youtube vids, links, and my thoughts. Feel free to contribute.

Status update:

* Got from the Library - Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light
* Got from the Library - Brian Jonestown Massace - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland
* Got from the Library - Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen
* Got from the Library - Leonard Cohen - More Best of Leonard Cohen
* Got from the Library - M. Ward - End of Amnesia
* Got from the Library - Superchunk - No Pocky for Kitty
* Got from the Library - Superchunk - Incidental Music: 1991 -
* Got from the Library - The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing
* Adding to the list:
21. Lykke Li
* Bought - Lykke Li - Youth Novels
22. Glass Candy
24. K'Naan
* Crossing out:
13. Ryan Bingham
17. Ida Maria

He seriously thinks anyone should bother to read the boring fucking list he typed up to chart his progress. What is this, facebook status updates for people who suck shit? Fuck this.

jjbaldwi
02-01-2009, 12:01 AM
fucking hilarious. Almost as funny as calling wikipedia 'credible'

SP The Ghost
02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm glad I'm cool.

tHEdARKsIDE
02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Yo.
1. Leonard Cohen
2. Antony & the Johnsons
3. Public Enemy
4. Superchunk
6. M. Ward
7. The Ting Tings
9. Tinwarimen
10. We Are Scientists
11. Gang Gang Dance
12. Craze and Klever
13. Ryan Bingham
14. Alberta Cross
15. Dr. Dog
16. Blitzen Trapper
17. Ida Maria
18. Gui Boratto
19. Noah and the Whale
20. The Kills
21. Lykke Li
22. Glass Candy
24. K'Naan

good... now i know which acts to avoid...

so i don't have a giant fro obstructing my view...

Knapptime
02-01-2009, 01:43 AM
This site helps heaps with research:
http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/coachella-artists-anounced/

PassiveTheory
02-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't say that just yet. After all, I'm such a pariah that I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up blocking your view at every single band you see anyway.

Cause, you know, I'm like that.

EDIT: Thanks for the list. I'll have updates on new bands/groups and my thoughts on them soon. So those of you who hang on my every word (Randy, etc.) don't you worry, I'm just getting started here.

Iamjoeswastdlife
02-01-2009, 12:26 PM
And what irritates me about it is that Passive thinks his opinions count for something, when in fact he has some of the most ungodly bad taste on the planet.

I just had to come back because I find this hypocritical:

Monklish
# Total Posts: 115
# Posts Per Day: 114.40

What makes you think we want your opinions enough to see 115 posts in 1 day from you?

Now I'm done.

Monklish
02-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't even remotely care whether or not you want my opinions, you're just fucking getting them.

But then again I don't post boring shit like checklists.