PDA

View Full Version : Comparing this year to last year.

Kid B
01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/ciszowski_matt/200801-coachella-lineup.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/ciszowski_matt/mainPoster.jpg

I've posted the original lineups from this year and last year. Discuss the pros and cons of each lineup. What do you think is better this year? What isn't? For those who are saying this is the worst lineup ever, please discuss what made last year's so much better. I'm very interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

M Sparks
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Hindsight. Hindsight made last year better. That's all.

If the top three on Saturday this year weren't so damn puzzling, this conversation wouldn't even be happening. And I even like all three...they just shouldn't be the top three.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs seem a little high, but so did Death Cab. All in all, this is pretty comparable to last year. Which was also called "worst ever" by all the whiners, and turned out to be epic.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
All Im saying is Black Keys are going to tear shit apart.

betao
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
this year is better than last year.

humanoid
01-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Aside from the amazement and awe I felt upon seeing Portishead on the poster, I personally think this year is way stronger overall

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are gonna tear it up...

so are Los Campesinos and Gang Gang Dance.....and many others

danteb
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
All Im saying is Black Keys are going to tear shit apart.

fuck yeah

Kid B
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
The Black Keys>White Stripes

Just sayin'

goodgrl
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
This year is better. I only went on sat. last year & that was for Portishead.

humanoid
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
The Black Keys>White Stripes

Just sayin'

way better live

dnham
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
i think this year's headliners are awesome, and all the other bands are alright too.

but last year was soooo much better in terms of an overall kind of experience. headliners were great as were the other bands.

I think what's most disappointing for me with this year is the lack of Sahara stuffs...'though there'll be more additions so we'll see...

COCHIS
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
WTF JUSTICE SUPER TORE SHIT UP LAST YEAR AND SO DID CHROMEO
BUT PAUL MC CARTNEY IS PAUL MC CARTNEY I DUNNO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Taylor
02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
WTF JUSTICE SUPER TORE SHIT UP LAST YEAR AND SO DID CHROMEO
BUT PAUL MC CARTNEY IS PAUL MC CARTNEY I DUNNO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

ow, my ears!

psycobetabuckdown
02-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I was really bored Sunday (I mean, not REALLY but more than ever at Coachella, plus it followed KPP the night before). Looking back on it, I really should have seen Gogol instead of Autolux. I am just a huge fan of Autolux though. Just...that show was not that cool.

BrickTop24
02-17-2009, 03:34 PM
every year is different.

PotVsKtl
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Super thread.

Boourns
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
One is better in some ways, and the other is better in other ways.

PotVsKtl
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
giant photo

canexplain
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
wow that is some large pic .... good focus and of course you had to upload it somewhere so i bet the original is even better .. and i missed last year again so i have no vote .... cr****

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Jack Johnson looks even more ridiculous next to Paul McCartney.

Botrocker
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Jack Johnson looks even more ridiculous next to Paul McCartney.

The Killers look ridiculous next to Portishead. Jus saying.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Not really...The Killers have headlined festivals before...yes from the board perspective they are lame compared to Portishead (no way in hell will they have a show like Portishead did last year...)...what really looks ridiculous is Portiswerkprince vs. Winehouse/Killers.

bobert
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Last year is better: you know why? BECAUSE IT ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENNED!!!!!!! Ask us in 4 months what lineup is better. Til then, the only meaningful thing to speculate on is the color of the fucking posters.

deeznutz
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
...what really looks ridiculous is Portiswerkprince vs. Winehouse/Killers.

Worst follow up ever. Seriously.

gruvlicius
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I was really bored Sunday (I mean, not REALLY but more than ever at Coachella, plus it followed KPP the night before). Looking back on it, I really should have seen Gogol instead of Autolux. I am just a huge fan of Autolux though. Just...that show was not that cool.

Yeah, Autolux last year were pretty boring. They played Coachella once before, a few years ago, daytime in Mojave, and they were fantastic. Really rocked.
**Lauren**

Botrocker
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Not really...The Killers have headlined festivals before...yes from the board perspective they are lame compared to Portishead (no way in hell will they have a show like Portishead did last year...)...what really looks ridiculous is Portiswerkprince vs. Winehouse/Killers.

I was only speaking from the board perspective. I actually kind of like the Killers but you're right there i absolutely no way in hell they will put on a show like Portishead.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-17-2009, 05:07 PM
for the record I actually like some Killers songs. And they deserve to headline more then JJ ever did.

biggfoot17
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Last year is better: you know why? BECAUSE IT ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENNED!!!!!!! Ask us in 4 months what lineup is better. Til then, the only meaningful thing to speculate on is the color of the fucking posters.

agreed. end thread

KungFuJay
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Last year was blue. This year is kind of a light orangey-brown.

sacleonard
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Looking back on it, I really should have seen Gogol instead of Autolux.

Yeah, our group split on that one, and I was in the Autolux group. I think that Gogol would have been the better choice.

darkjustice
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Autolux was a bit off last year because the sound at the outdoor theater has been fucked up...Mannheim Steamroller will be great this year on the main stage.

woogie846
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Coachella gets better every year for me.

djandrews25
02-17-2009, 11:43 PM

TROOP! Agent Kevin
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Those are the only two Coachellas that
I've felt deflated by the (initial) line-up about.
I think this year is a little better on the undercard.
But neither has a Headliner BAM factor.
Headliner ain't everything, sure...but it's a big thing.

The fact that I've been going since year one is probably part of the problem.
Our poor festival needs to repeat to survive sometime and I can't help being selfish. People are hating on the Killers (not one of my bands either) but
at least we haven't seen them headline before (and hopefully they aren't).

Winehouse, Ferdinand, Black Keys - the whole poster is kind of a "seen 'em."
Last year was a bit better on that factor.
This year has a lot of Coach regulars. Sigh.
I look at Sun. and see a headliner that
I like...but that I saw play there 5 years ago.
I love the YYYs...but I saw them there 3 years ago.

I'm hating it as I type it...but I would rather see Britney Spears on that
poster than some of the Coachella repeats. It would be weird and freakish
and I've NEVER - EVER - seen that...and that is part of the point.

COCHIS
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Opps sorry !!
but still what do you guys think

jamesc2929
02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
My major issue is with Saturday. I am going, but The Killers, Amy Crackhouse, and Thievery Corp. just aren't doing it. I, like many others, feel a Saturday major add is on the way.

psycobetabuckdown
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
My major issue is with Saturday. I am going, but The Killers, Amy Crackhouse, and Thievery Corp. just aren't doing it. I, like many others, feel a Saturday major add is on the way.

Yeah but then there's TV on the Radio, Fleet Foxes, Atmosphere, Mastodon, Booker T, Spearhead, MSTRKRFT and many bands I am not particularly familiar with but those are enough

boyalien0
02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
The issue is DEFINITELY the top three bands on Saturday. Hell, if they could have just shaken up the schedule a bit it would have looked loads better - Killers friday, Cure saturday, McCartney sunday, there would be a fuck of a lot less complaining, even from myself. Anyway, I was excited for last year because Pink Floyd is my fav band of all time and I never thought I'd get a chance to see Portishead live. This year just doesn't have a whole lot to offer me besides McCartney, Cohen, MBV and some decent lower tier, 75% of which I've seen before.

Anyway, I ramble. Saturday's top three is the reason this year is underwhelming, plain and simple.

BKsaysAction!
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I think it'll be fine. We can only wait and see.

D.M.B.4Coachella
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
This year is better. I only went on sat. last year & that was for Portishead.

Yeah because you saw sooo much last year, dumbass. You really widen your horizons at coachella, don't you? 'I paid 90 bucks to see one band'.

Every coachella is different and amazing in it's own way. No coachella could technically be better than the other. It all depends on your experiences and your ability to be open minded to new bands. I only knew of three artists that are playing all weekend this year. I listened to 50 percent of last years artists before I went, and Pink Floyd is my favorite artist. But im going all three days and im not ruling out that this year could be just as great, or even more fun.

Keep an open mind. Coachella is famous for a reason: putting on a great show.

scratchynat
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
This year may be a little bit better than last year (how can it not be) but as far as lineups go Coachcella sucks a big fat one and i dont mean a doobie.

SASQUATCH is where its at kids!! Come on up to beautiful George WA

Trudeau
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
This year may be a little bit better than last year (how can it not be) but as far as lineups go Coachcella sucks a big fat one and i dont mean a doobie.

No, don't. I live in the PNW and it's cold as hell in May and not camping weather.

Fiarmedico
02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Last year had better bands overall. But Coachella is always fun no matter who is there. Two years ago was the better than either...

beavington
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Sasquatch looks better only for the sole fact that it has Erykah Badu...what the fuck is up coachella, you shoulda got that bitch.

sansucre
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
This year doesn't have Jack Johnson. Nuff said. But besides that, Coachella is all about how you experience it. The music will find its way.

chucky canuck
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I decided last month to skip this year and, seeing the lineup now, I'm glad I did.
This is one of the few years where Coachella hasn't had a headliner that is actually a top current act. Leonard Cohen? Paul McCartney? Morrisey? What year is this?
Some of the other acts interest me, most notably the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I saw them in 2006.
Sasquatch wins out for Doves. Their new CD is shaping up (after two singles only) to be fantastic.

mvanwinkle
02-21-2009, 10:39 AM

thats becasue this years portiswerkprince is on sunday. this year its yeahbloodycure. its going to give saturday 08 a run for its money.

psycobetabuckdown
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Let's not sell 06 short, YYY, Massive Attack, Tool was pretty fucking awesome.

chucky canuck
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Let's not sell 06 short, YYY, Massive Attack, Tool was pretty fucking awesome.

and Daft Punk's show was raved about .

Franz was good. Sigur Ros smoked. Bloc Party were solid.

'twas a great year.

darthlaker
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Last year was WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better! Who are you kidding. Portishead, Prince, roger waters "dark side of the moon" hello? boys noize, justice, hot chip, KRAFTWERK! Fatboy Slim, Holy Fuck! MIA, need I say more..... dumbest question on this message board EVER!

psycobetabuckdown
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
This year was WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better! Who are you kidding. My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, Paul McCartney hello? M.A.N.D.Y., MSTRKRFT, Felix Da Housecat, THIEVERY CORPORATION! The Crystal Method, Buraka Som Sistema! Crystal Castles, need I say more..... dumbest question on this message board EVER!

Fixed, in anticipation of your comments come April 20.

sacleonard
02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
^ I never get tired of "fixed" replies. I agree that this year is going to be great.

xxorcoxx
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
This year is better for the scene kids

redthreat
03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Sahara last year was unbelievable.

Sunday especially. Can't get much better than that (well, without Justice and with maybe a better headliner. and Chromeo could have been better, too..) But Modeselektor, Aphex Twin, Boys Noize, Booka Shade, SMD, etc. it was so solid.

PsyGuyRy
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't post much, but I've been to Coachella every year since 2005. Last year, for me, was by far the best. My top moments were:

1.) Kraftwerk opening for Portishead opening for Prince. (Where else?)
2.) Dark Side of the Moon (I know it's a 50/50 opinion split, but I loved it.)
3.) Aphex Twin opening for Pendulum opening for Fatboy Slim. Plus Simian Mobile Disco, Chromeo, Justice, etc... Sahara was pretty impressive.
4.) Most undercards I saw were excellent. (Goldfrapp was angelic!)
*Jack Johnson as a headliner was kinda embarrassing.

This year has great potential:

1.) Throbbing Gristle (!), Leonard Cohen, MBV, Paul McCartney are big deals.
(The Cure and Morrissey aren't my cup-of-tea, but they're solid picks.)
2.) X, No Age, Public Enemy, Mastodon, Antony & the J's are all exciting.
3.) YYY's, TVotR, Franz, Amy, Girl Talk, Thievery, PB&J, Black Keys. Strong.
4.) Crystal Method, Felix, the Bug, Hercules & Love Affair also float my boat.
*The Killers are also kinda insulting as a headliner.

2009 has a stronger undercard, band-for-band, but a lot of repeats from previous years. And besides Paul M., Leonard C., and TG, it seems like it could be any other festival's lineup, y'know? There just doesn't seem like the possibility of that "once-in-a-lifetime" feeling I got from last year, and it set the bar so high that I think it'll be impossible to top. I'm super excited, as always, for Coachella '09, but last year blew my mind like no other musical experience ever has.

This is all of course due to personal taste. A friend nearly had an orgasm over this year's lineup compared to being merely impressed with last year's... So to each his/her own.

*Oh, and Kraftwerk-Portishead-Prince > YYY's-MBV-The Cure. Fo' sho'.

CitizenJ
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Last year may seem better if you are into DJ's, electronic, and people just standing behind computers while they hit the audience with a strobe light. If you are into a lighter Indie rock kind of sound, this is the year. Beirut, Connor Oberst, Fleet Foxes, M. Ward, Jenny Lewis, Glasvegas, White Lies, Okkervil River, Peter Bjorn & John, I could go on. and in my opinion, The Beatles are really the forefathers of most of these bands sound (you could argue that for many genres, but i think this type of indie rock fits the most). So Paul McCartney headlining is golden. Morrisey and Leonard Cohen also help that scene a lot. love it.

CitizenJ
03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
This is one of the few years where Coachella hasn't had a headliner that is actually a top current act. Leonard Cohen? Paul McCartney? Morrisey? What year is this?

Huh?

-2008-
Prince (Not Current)
Roger Waters (Not Current)
Jack Johnson (Current)

-2009-
Paul McCartney (Not Current)
The Cure (Not Current)
The Killers (Current)

I see it breaking even, no? I know everyone hates the killers with an unmatchable passion, but they are current and quite popular. Just not with the typical coachella crowd. To be honest i like The Killers much more than Jack Johnson.