PDA

View Full Version : The Killers as a followup to PRINCE?! NO WAY.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
As we were all told last year, Coachella is Prince's house now. I don't think there is anyway that some B-side slanty-haired jugband from Las Vegas can take the place of one of the great androgynous legends of our time.

Yeah, I was with you there in 2004, wasn't it? The Killers at Coachella. They weren't bad, but they also weren't taking up that coveted, important Saturday headline spot. I even bought their CD and listened to it for a few minutes a few times on the way to some slanty-haired bar in 2005.

But whaaaaattt? This is not Prince... Unless Coachella is just doomed to have one B-list headliner day, there is no way this is the complete lineup. But I don't think we're done here. Love or hate those who have closed the mainstage on Saturday every previous year in memory... in recent memory, they're all legendary artists.

p.

tyles
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Who said they were taking Prince's place? I didn't get this memo? They are the new royal badness? I'm confused.

Kid B
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Bowie will be the followup to Prince when he's added in April.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Bowie would save this lineup.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/cr/criswatk/646227_say_your_prayers.jpg

tyles
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Bowie would save this lineup.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/cr/criswatk/646227_say_your_prayers.jpg

I don't think this line up needs saving, except from whiney bitches.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
As we were all told last year, Coachella is Prince's house now. I don't think there is anyway that some B-side slanty-haired jugband from Las Vegas can take the place of one of the great androgynous legends of our time.

Yeah, I was with you there in 2004, wasn't it? The Killers at Coachella. They weren't bad, but they also weren't taking up that coveted, important Saturday headline spot. I even bought their CD and listened to it for a few minutes a few times on the way to some slanty-haired bar in 2005.

But whaaaaattt? This is not Prince... Unless Coachella is just doomed to have one B-list headliner day, there is no way this is the complete lineup. But I don't think we're done here. Love or hate those who have closed the mainstage on Saturday every previous year in memory... in recent memory, they're all legendary artists.

p.

There will probably be another headliner added, like last year. Also, PAUL MCCARTNEY. LEONARD COHEN

Jesus Christ there is no pleasing you people.

hobomilitia
01-30-2009, 09:22 AM

word to that. the lineup is damn good.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
There will probably be another headliner added, like last year. Also, PAUL MCCARTNEY. LEONARD COHEN

Jesus Christ there is no pleasing you people.

No no-- it's a great lineup. It just leaves a certain part of the demographic (of which I am a member) feeling left out when compared to like, the last 5-6 years.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
...and yeah, before someone pelts it at me... that demographic is whiny homosexuals who like pop and dance music.

SecretPrescription
^

amen

SecretPrescription
shit... i'm not gay

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
shit... i'm not gay

You sure?

humanoid
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
...and yeah, before someone pelts it at me... that demographic is whiny homosexuals who like pop and dance music.

you'll probably get something added closer to what you're looking for...but there is probably something already on the lineup to please you that you're not quite aware of yet..I know that happens with me and everyone I know every single year

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Well, if thats what you are looking for, maybe this isnt your festival

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyway I'm sorry-- but THE KILLERS to me are not a band that one could expect 50k+ people to want to see... That sea of people might be a tad bigger than it was for Jack Johnson. And I'm not even dogging on Jack Johnson, because I'm one of the few people who stuck around for his set and yeah, liked it. It was calm and peaceful and a great way to end the first night... but it wasn't SATURDAY which is supposed to GO OFF and BE INSANE. It's just not the follow up experience I was looking for to last year's Saturday. The lineup could benefit from some serious Sahara act injection-- perhaps a big name "WHOA WTF" kind of dance act-- and one serious headliner on Saturday. Then it's an "everything for everyone" kind of lineup that Coachella is known for. Otherwise, this lineup is somewhat biased in comparison to year's previous. All I'm sayin... and I keep talking cause I'm kind of working it out in my head as I type it.

beavington
01-30-2009, 09:30 AM

what the eff does being a homosexual have to do with it? i am homosexual (that sounds like such a dirty shameful way of saying it) and well we got Amy Winehouse, she is diva enough for the fags.
and dance to the crystal method their name implied homosexual behavior enough.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, if thats what you are looking for, maybe this isnt your festival

But I always have the best time of my life... What are you saying???!?!? What's wrong with me?!?!?

http://images.inmagine.com/img/creatas/cr15367/cr15367054.jpg

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
what the eff does being a homosexual have to do with it? i am homosexual (that sounds like such a dirty shameful way of saying it) and well we got Amy Winehouse, she is diva enough for the fags.
and dance to the crystal method their name implied homosexual behavior enough.

It has 0 to do with it, but a lot of folks around here likes to call everyone a f*g if they don't get a boner for The Smiths.

Ravingmad
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
The Killers are more like the follow up to Jack Johnson...they just switched the "weak headliner" night from Friday to Saturday so that half the crowd doesn't skip Friday.

Geno_g
01-30-2009, 09:32 AM
The Killers are my JJ of this year, gonna miss them for someone else that is better...

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
you'll probably get something added closer to what you're looking for...but there is probably something already on the lineup to please you that you're not quite aware of yet..I know that happens with me and everyone I know every single year

You got any suggestions? I'm down to be schooled on new music. I figure there is a lot to learn in this lineup. I've been so busy with work this past year and a half (aside from the last bit that I've been on this board) that I haven't been able to really put my feelers out there for new music... I'm admittedly stuck in some of the same cycles.

I would love someone to write me a prescription of music you think I need to get up on in this lineup if you've got a second-- there is so much here that I don't even know.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 09:36 AM

p.

did you forget it was originally portishead as the saturday headliner?? they added price much later.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:37 AM
did you forget it was originally portishead as the saturday headliner?? they added price much later.

But was it a decision to add Prince later or was Prince added later because they finalized it later? I'm not sure that's a reliable pattern. And ok-- should I change the post to "The Killers as a followup to PORTISHEAD? NO WAY." -- still works!

humanoid
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
You got any suggestions? I'm down to be schooled on new music. I figure there is a lot to learn in this lineup. I've been so busy with work this past year and a half (aside from the last bit that I've been on this board) that I haven't been able to really put my feelers out there for new music... I'm admittedly stuck in some of the same cycles.

I would love someone to write me a prescription of music you think I need to get up on in this lineup if you've got a second-- there is so much here that I don't even know.

I'll have to get back to you, but off the top of my head, the sets from Ting Tings and Gang Gang Dance will be energetic, fun and danceable

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
But I always have the best time of my life... What are you saying???!?!? What's wrong with me?!?!?

http://images.inmagine.com/img/creatas/cr15367/cr15367054.jpg

I am saying if thats the music you are here for, and that music isnt here....put two and two together or stop creating new threads to bitch and moan.

patricksw
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
I'll have to get back to you, but off the top of my head, the sets from Ting Tings and Gang Gang Dance will be energetic, fun and danceable

Yeah-- my boyfriend has a boner for a lot of the acts-- Throbbing Gristle, Gang Gang Dance, Sebastian Tellier, etc etc. I probably just need to stop whining and realize that it can't be 2006 every year! p.

humanoid
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah-- my boyfriend has a boner for a lot of the acts-- Throbbing Gristle, Gang Gang Dance, Sebastian Tellier, etc etc. I probably just need to stop whining and realize that it can't be 2006 every year! p.

seriously, I've been every year, and several times I've been underwhelmed initially, but with a little research and an open mind....Coachella always delivers a wonderful time

microcuts
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM

They never increased the price last year.

hah.

shakermaker113
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
someone post that chart of saturday headliners.

hegemon
02-05-2009, 02:40 AM
lulz

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM
It was calm and peaceful and a great way to end the first night...

Fatboy Slim = great way to end Friday night.

feather
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
The Killers are not a follow up to Prince, Coachella will always be Princes house. You can't expect a replacement of greater value every year.

whinywhiner
02-05-2009, 09:55 AM
why can't the Ting Tings headline?

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 09:56 AM

^

amen

shit... i'm not gay

You sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atXIKI2XHj4&feature=related

lediable76
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
The Killers are not a follow up to Prince, Coachella will always be Princes house. You can't expect a replacement of greater value every year.

Can you guys stop talking about prince already? Sounds like A fucking broken record!!!

Rockstarboy37
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Happens to me every year. But I always have that first reaction of outrage or disappointment til I look into it. Discovered so many cool bands last year.

nationocean
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
SOMEONE GET THE CHART!!!!!!!!!

deeznutz
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM

and the killers. mostly the killers though. the killers are killing coachella! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

p.s. fuck the killers

^^^
my new favorite saying

obzen
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
and the killers. mostly the killers though. the killers are killing coachella! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

p.s. fuck the killers

^^^
my new favorite saying

:rotfl

moomoo
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I wanna see this damn chart.

Rockstarboy37
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Cause they suck ass

deeznutz
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
^^^
didn't stop jack or the killers.

Gribbz
02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
SOMEONE GET THE CHART!!!!!!!!!

Are you human.....or are you DANCER?

KungFuJay
02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you human.....or are you DANCER?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

tyler0js
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
The Killers are my JJ of this year, gonna miss them for someone else that is better...

But there's no Fatboy Slim playing to compensate this year...

feather
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I love how we assumed there was going to be some GRAND Killers/Sahara conflict. I was shooting for the stars and missed...

Jay_Fiedler
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
The Killers > Prince

thom cobain
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
The Killers > Prince

everything > you

trashle626
02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
prince's performance last year was epic.
n im sure the killers have nothing on prince

hypervera
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
the killers is ok, they will sell tickets, they deserve to be headliners they are big enough now.

the killers>>>>>jack johnson

and not everybody is fuckin "indie antimainstream", thousands of regular happy people will go to coachella too.

echerrr
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
i almost seems like the organizers look at your posts and say wow lets piss them off more. the more you bitch the less chance there is that they will change the headliner. they didn't change it last year for jack johnson who everyone was complaining about they changed it for portishead who no body was complaining about. the killers will continue to headline as long as they bring in the huge crowd they are destined to. so if you really want a different headliner bitch about the cure. it will be like reverse psychology. Goldenvoice will see all the cure hatred and say "wow they really hate the cure we should get a new headliner for Saturday."

echerrr
02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
or tv on the radio should headline.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
The Killers > Prince

I'm sorry it has come to this, you must be put down.

Can you guys stop talking about prince already? Sounds like A fucking broken record!!!

hmmm, much like everything.

tell me you have a clue as to why this makes no sense...

summerkid
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Killers aren't moving from that headline spot. Paul T seems very happy with them there and told NME that Amy Winehouse is playing before them on the Main Stage. So don't expect any major additions for saturday,its selling pretty well. Sunday on the other hand...

vinceolson
02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/54/l_f3c80bcfe426448095a57e2c0e6b71c3.jpg

Sonicifyouwantit
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Killers aren't moving from that headline spot. Paul T seems very happy with them there and told NME that Amy Winehouse is playing before them on the Main Stage. So don't expect any major additions for saturday,its selling pretty well. Sunday on the other hand...

yeah its kinda weird their booking winehouse, paul t's comment about it too. so much has happened since her first appearance here at coachella...none of it being creative...she doesnt have a new album coming out does she? when would she have the time to do that? her life is still a wreck right, I mean she hasnt seen the light and got her life together. that to me was stranger than anyone else on the lineup including killers headlining.

I'm not that shocked killers are headlining, after all coldplay headlined in 2005 and that was only after two albums.

vinceolson
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Paul T. booked Winehouse so that when she dies in March, every article will read:

"...who was scheduled to perform at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival next month..."

Free advertising.

thom cobain
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
if it's winehouse, then the killers on the main stage, there is no doubt someone will be booked after them.

consider when the chili peppers played, and tiesto closed the main stage. the chili peppers were still the headlining act.

the killers may not move from the headliner, but will not close the main stage.

underworld.

darthlaker
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
That past couple of years they have added a BIG act last minute. Look for an announcement Saturday Johnny Marr and Morrisey are gonna reveal something. And look at the spaces next to the The Killers and The Cure. Looks like Headlining Space to me.

summerkid
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
any additions should be added to sunday though to increase ticket sales that's the day that is selling poorly.

sbessiso
02-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Sunday is? Really? But.....it's THE CURE. Saturday is pretty weak and Im a mega killers fan

KungFuJay
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Look for an announcement Saturday Johnny Marr and Morrisey are gonna reveal something.

Something, eh? What do you think it could be? A new reality show on VH1? Their dicks? A statement that the Smiths are not fucking getting back together? WHAT??????

Memorial_07
02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
they're going to announce that the Smiths were asked for the billionth time to play Coachella and of course turned it down

nothing new

darthlaker
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Something, eh? What do you think it could be? A new reality show on VH1? Their dicks? A statement that the Smiths are not fucking getting back together? WHAT??????

They are announcing a reunited Smiths without the drummer. I'll come back and you can all say you heard it hear first!

AlecEiffel
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
They are announcing a reunited Smiths without the drummer. I'll come back and you can all say you heard it hear first!

That would be extremely awesome, it's also not going to happen. If it does, I will come back here and give you an e-pat on the back, but it isn't going to.

HEADSTRUCK
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I dont see what the killers has to do with prince? So they played on the same day as last year? So are we comparing paul mcc to jack johnson? Artist have tours going on so they get people for the day they can

AlecEiffel
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
hmmm, he apparently played "This Charming Man" last night, it's the first time he's done it since the first couple Smiths' tours...

Probably means nothing, really, but it's still pretty cool.

cacahead01
02-06-2009, 03:40 PM

This is what I'm hoping for.

Bendulum
02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Squarepusher will be added to increase ticket sales, likely.

Rockstarboy37
02-07-2009, 12:37 AM
besides the cure I think most people are buying tickets on sunday for my bloody valentine and brian jonestown massacre.

But if it isn't selling that well its probably because the cure sucks and BJM & MBV don't have a wide a very wide ranged fan base.

lediable76
02-07-2009, 01:32 AM
That past couple of years they have added a BIG act last minute. Look for an announcement Saturday Johnny Marr and Morrisey are gonna reveal something. And look at the spaces next to the The Killers and The Cure. Looks like Headlining Space to me.

Now, that would smash Prince to smithereens!!! And also shut you prince camp bitches up!!

Memorial_07
02-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Well, a reunion that big would be absolutely incredible

I still don't think the show would be better than Prince's

patricksw
02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The Killers > Prince

Oh yeah, totally. Slanty-haired, dated, pseudo electro pop bands from 2004 with a douchey fanbase totally concur multi-platinum inspirations for decades any day. Keep telling yourself that, "bro."

humanoid
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Personally, I really don't care about Prince at all...but he is still far better than the Killers

jimbo007
02-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Previous Sat Headliners:
1999: Beck
2001: Jane's Addiction
2002: Björk
2003: Beastie Boys
2004: Radiohead
2005: Coldplay
2006: Daft Punk
2007: RHCP
2008: Prince
2009: Killers?

AlecEiffel
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Why is everybody ignoring the fact that Friday is clearly the new Saturday? Friday, for whatever reason, is obviously meant to be the festival's banner day this year. Things change.

sonnyboy11
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Previous Sat Headliners:
1999: Beck
2001: Jane's Addiction
2002: Björk
2003: Beastie Boys
2004: Radiohead
2005: Coldplay
2006: Daft Punk
2007: RHCP
2008: Prince
2009: Killers?

All good!

Edit-Depeche Mode headlined on Sat 2006, not Daft Punk.

sonnyboy11
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Why is everybody ignoring the fact that Friday is clearly the new Saturday? Friday, for whatever reason, is obviously meant to be the festival's banner day this year. Things change.

Except that the word is Saturday is selling the best out of all 3 days. How do you reconcile that with your theory?

AlecEiffel
02-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Except that the word is Saturday is selling the best out of all 3 days. How do you reconcile that with your theory?

How do you know that?

sonnyboy11
02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
How do you know that?

What- do you need me to actually have facts to support my assertions around here? Yow! I heard it here actually. You go search for it.

Now, whether you like the Killers or not, it probably makes some sense that a Saturday night would be the best selling day. But yea, you haters just won't be able to let that get in your way of your state of denial that the Killers will most likely end up as the headliners that night. Boo Fuckin Hoo.

hancho09
02-08-2009, 03:58 AM
NEEDS something; Killers, Winehouse, and Thievery all don't do too much for me.

hancho09
02-08-2009, 04:04 AM
blame mr. brightside's popularity for elevating them and making everyone blindly think that the singles put out lately are anywhere close...or that the sound is at all fresh

cyclops
02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
I dunno, a lot of people seem to think there will be a major add on saturday but that was the same on 07'...and no huge late additions, or any if I remember correctly. But I guess we wont know till April.

Memorial_07
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Really? people complained about saturday in '07 not being big enough?

I guess RHCP should stick to dive bars rather than headlining world renowned music festivals

crazzz2007
02-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Sunday is? Really? But.....it's THE CURE. Saturday is pretty weak and Im a mega killers fan

are you really excited for the cure? where the hell have you been for the past 20 years? did you just come out of a coma or something?

crazzz2007
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Now, that would smash Prince to smithereens!!! And also shut you prince camp bitches up!!

prince > the smiths

crazzz2007
02-08-2009, 10:49 AM

BECAUSE SATURDAY HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BEST NIGHT OF COACHELLA. It's the night most people go all out and party the hardest. THAT'S WHY IT'S A FUCKING TRAGEDY THAT THE KILLERS ARE HEADLINING!!!

yes, i used bold and caps. go fuck yourselves.

Memorial_07
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Saturday isn't always the best

'99, '03, '05, '06, '07 saturdays weren't better than sundays

and I agree with Prince > over the Smiths

any day

AlecEiffel
02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
What- do you need me to actually have facts to support my assertions around here? Yow! I heard it here actually. You go search for it.

Now, whether you like the Killers or not, it probably makes some sense that a Saturday night would be the best selling day. But yea, you haters just won't be able to let that get in your way of your state of denial that the Killers will most likely end up as the headliners that night. Boo Fuckin Hoo.

You asked me to explain my theory, I ask you to explain yours. You can't explain yours because it's just something that you read on the forum. I read it too, that doesn't mean it's true. It could be, but we don't know. One thing we do know is that Paul McCartney is the biggest, most famous act this year (arguably in the history of the festival) and he is playing on Friday. I like the Killers a lot more than most of the people here and I am really looking forward to seeing them, but they are no Paul McCartney.

Memorial_07
02-08-2009, 11:11 AM
you can't deny things like that.

that's the same thing as saying "My favorite band is _______ but they aren't the Beatles."

some bands just aren't up to par with more legendary bands and the beatles are arguably the most legendary band of all time

hancho09
02-08-2009, 03:01 PM
You asked me to explain my theory, I ask you to explain yours. You can't explain yours because it's just something that you read on the forum. I read it too, that doesn't mean it's true. It could be, but we don't know. One thing we do know is that Paul McCartney is the biggest, most famous act this year (arguably in the history of the festival) and he is playing on Friday. I like the Killers a lot more than most of the people here and I am really looking forward to seeing them, but they are no Paul McCartney.

Thanks mr. demands an explanation for giving the most unnecessary one about the killers not being beatles level. I imagine you'd find some answer when goldenvoice releases it's next quarterly unless they make a public statement regarding sales( I'm sure it's too early for something like that, maybe mid to end of march?)

hancho09
02-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not that shocked killers are headlining, after all coldplay headlined in 2005 and that was only after two albums.

Aww how can you say that the Killers' three albums even touch Parachutes, let alone including arobtth.

erndisco
02-09-2009, 12:22 AM
blame mr. brightside's popularity for elevating them and making everyone blindly think that the singles put out lately are anywhere close...or that the sound is at all fresh

true dat.
the only song i like from them is shadowplay.
but its a joy division song so it doesnt even count.