PDA

View Full Version : OLDCHELLA

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm Sorry, I love coachella, and all of you know this.......but when has one of these headliners been relevant in the past 15 years (other than Mcartney, I would love to see that, KILLERS SUCK). NO SAHARA HEADLINERS, NO RELEVANT BANDS, and the lack of electronic music is sickening. I'm sorry coachella, you'll get your people in their 30's/40's trying to relive the past this year, but everyone knows the money is in the 14-25 age group, and none of these bands are that. I'm going to go see the cubs play on opening day in chicago for the first time and im using that money to get out of LA for once. Last year was close to dissapointing, but there were some saving graces. This year is right out.............

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
FUCKING GIRL TALK IS ON THE THIRD ROW!!!!!

tyles
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Because he's not that good in the first place?

daft$tar
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
oldchella indeed

at least we have dj am - i wonder if he will wear thomas bangalter's helmet again :nono

PassiveTheory
01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
If Coachella was targetting the 14 - 25 age bracket, the cast of High School Musical would be headlining the Sahara and Miley Cyrus doing a DJ set would be headlining Friday night instead of Macca.

So shut the hell up.

humanoid
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
If Coachella was targetting the 14 - 25 age bracket, the cast of High School Musical would be headlining the Sahara and Miley Cyrus doing a DJ set would be headlining Friday night instead of Macca.

So shut the hell up.

plus fall out boy and Lil Wayne

danteb
01-30-2009, 09:13 AM
im 20 and i think this lineup is killer, so was last year, the year before and every other year. for me, coachella never ceases to impress
as for the lack of electronic acts we already know there is more to come,

sithlord
01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
your face. shut it.

tyles
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
plus fall out boy and Lil Wayne

I'd prefer "oldchella" to that sort of "shit-chella."

Line up this year is good. If you don't like it, save your money for warped tour, weenie roast, or some other fucked up shit that sucks.

erseloner
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
This guy's a douche...I hope you don't go...yayyyyy

localdesertrat
01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
shut up little kid

neverclever
Examples please so we can make fun of them.

satori777
oldchella indeed

at least we have dj am - i wonder if he will wear thomas bangalter's helmet again :nono

I thought a.m. was burned like a hamburger...

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
oldchella huh, hmm thats what they said about last year....

and PF already said more sahara acts to be added SO CHILL

dethroned
01-30-2009, 09:19 AM

So shut the hell up.

Thank you. Not to mention David Archuleta, Fall Out Boy (as mentioned), and all the other crap the "young" people are listening to nowadays. I may be in my 30s and therefore "old," but fuck it, I've still got far better taste than 9 out of 10 young people I come across.

tyles
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
oldchella indeed

Not to make fun of the guy, he's had a hell of a last few months, but really? Is he that big a deal to make a fuss over? He djs in LA all the time, and I wouldn't drive five minutes away to see him, let alone 3 hours. Still, the rest of the line up is amazing, with very few exceptions.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm Sorry, I love coachella, and all of you know this.......but when has one of these headliners been relevant in the past 15 years (other than Mcartney, I would love to see that, KILLERS SUCK). NO SAHARA HEADLINERS, NO RELEVANT BANDS, and the lack of electronic music is sickening. I'm sorry coachella, you'll get your people in their 30's/40's trying to relive the past this year, but everyone knows the money is in the 14-25 age group, and none of these bands are that. I'm going to go see the cubs play on opening day in chicago for the first time and im using that money to get out of LA for once. Last year was close to dissapointing, but there were some saving graces. This year is right out.............

Why do people come to a rock festival and then complain that they cant rave and have all these huge name electro bands, when fucking Paul McCartney is on the bill? The Black Keys too! Jesus

KNEE GROWS
DJ AM IS A HORRIBLE FUCKING DJ. NOBODY EVEN GAVE A SHIT ABOUT HIM UNTIL HE ALMOST DIED.

skavenbrew

So shut the hell up.

TRUTH!

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Why do people come to a rock festival and then complain that they cant rave and have all these huge name electro bands, when fucking Paul McCartney is on the bill? The Black Keys too! Jesus

dont be ignorant, its not a "rock festival" its a music festival and electronic dance music has always had a large presence at coachella...look at the early days it was mostly edm. that being said PF has already said more sahara (dance acts) coming.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
dont be ignorant, its not a "rock festival" its a music festival and electronic dance music has always had a large presence at coachella...look at the early days it was mostly edm. that being said PF has already said more sahara (dance acts) coming.

I do agree that they will add more. Thats fine. But Coachella is primarily a rock festival. In the beginning they didnt have the budget or following to get people like Waters, Prince, Macca, etc...so they settled for that shit. Look at the year where it was swamped with shitty hip hop.

TomAz
everyone knows the money is in the 14-25 age group

ahahahahhahahahaha!!

watercurses

they chose those headliners to make money, they don't care what is good or bad out played out. they just want millions of dollars.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
I do agree that they will add more. Thats fine. But Coachella is primarily a rock festival. In the beginning they didnt have the budget or following to get people like Waters, Prince, Macca, etc...so they settled for that shit. Look at the year where it was swamped with shitty hip hop.

so what you are saying is coachella has changed to your taste? and edm is just in the backround now soon to be forgotten...I disagree but that is fine. again its a music festival not a rock festival and people from all over the world come for edm there, many never leave the sahara/do lab/oasis dome...I'll leave it at that

Mockingbird73
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM

Yeah, cause the 14-25 age bracket is just rollin' in the dough.

Stay home dipshit.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
so what you are saying is coachella has changed to your taste? and edm is just in the backround now soon to be forgotten...I disagree but that is fine. again its a music festival not a rock festival and people from all over the world come for edm there, many never leave the sahara/do lab/oasis dome...I'll leave it at that

Again, cant argue with that. But a majority of the people arent there for that. Unfortunately, they cater to the majority.

No, Coachella hasnt changed my taste, I have only gone the last two years.

wstsidela
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Somebody please add Mutant Ninja Turtles for this whining bitch

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
look at some of these bands you people list, MBV, Black Keys (which i think are pretty cool), Iron & Wine........these bands cant even sell half the records some of these other bands can that have played coachella in the past! Listen no matter what I say I'm gonna be flamed by some 30somthing past life rocker guy who thinks that coachella is gonna rock this year cause he's gonna get to see bands he wish he did 20 years ago when they were all relevant, but for someone my age, which is 24, this line-up is complete garbage! Chemical Bros? Prodigy? Muse? Mars Volta? Sounds of animals fighting? ALL RELEVANT BANDS WITH NEW MATERIAL THAT IF GOLDENVOICE WOULD PONY UP THE CASH SHOULD BE THERE! Coachella used to be about the cutting edge of music (Daft Punk Pyramid), what everyone was going to be listening to for years to come! NOT JUST APPEAL TO PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO MUSIC THATS OLDER THAN THEY ARE!!

OLDCHELLA!

SoulDischarge
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought a.m. was burned like a hamburger...

I just had a vision of Throbbing Gristle playing "Hamburger Lady" and sending DJ AM into some kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome.

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
.....and if you've only been the past 2 years.........you don't even KNOW WHAT YOU'VE BEEN MISSING! im a 5 year vet!!!!

killsunshine
01-30-2009, 12:27 PM
unemployment is way up, they're targeting people who HAVE money as opposed to those who WISH they could go. sucks, but true. FUCK THE KILLERS.

roberto73
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I hear A Place to Bury Strangers and Fucked Up are huge with the fortysomething crowd.

AlecEiffel
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
look at some of these bands you people list, MBV, Black Keys (which i think are pretty cool), Iron & Wine........these bands cant even sell half the records some of these other bands can that have played coachella in the past! Listen no matter what I say I'm gonna be flamed by some 30somthing past life rocker guy who thinks that coachella is gonna rock this year cause he's gonna get to see bands he wish he did 20 years ago when they were all relevant, but for someone my age, which is 24, this line-up is complete garbage! Chemical Bros? Prodigy? Muse? Mars Volta? Sounds of animals fighting? ALL RELEVANT BANDS WITH NEW MATERIAL THAT IF GOLDENVOICE WOULD PONY UP THE CASH SHOULD BE THERE! Coachella used to be about the cutting edge of music (Daft Punk Pyramid), what everyone was going to be listening to for years to come! NOT JUST APPEAL TO PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO MUSIC THATS OLDER THAN THEY ARE!!

OLDCHELLA!

You are an uncultured moron. I'm only a year older than you and I am very pleased with the lineup. If you go back and listen to some of this older stuff maybe you'll realize why it was popular in the first place and maybe you'll understand where some of the new music we have now came from.

Todfilm
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Your thread might be relevant except for the fact that 14-25 year olds are listening to Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers. I'm sure a festival with those two would sell out in a heartbeat. But you wouldn't see me within a mile of that festival.

Yvette1007
01-30-2009, 12:35 PM

hahahaha! loves it. Old-chella hells yes. I love the Friday line-up. It's about time we got some real songwriting talent (McCartney, Morrissey, LEONARD f'n COHEN, M.Ward, Molotov even). See ya'll on 4/17!

robotronia
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
""I just had a vision of Throbbing Gristle playing "Hamburger Lady" and sending DJ AM into some kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome.""

bhahahahahahaha!!!

did genesis ever complete his transition?

i'm going to lobby for a hotshot the robot sahara set.......

d6,
older,slower,poorer,fatter

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 12:38 PM

OLDCHELLA!

dude, what are you talking about?? there have always been older influential bands at coachella, and what does selling low volumes of records have to do with anything? if you want top sellers go see brit brit or miley. something tells me you don't know half the undercard acts or you wouldnt be saying this. and again PF SAID THERE WOULD BE MORE DANCE ADDITIONS SO CHILL

johnnypolite
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Coachella used to be about the cutting edge of music (Daft Punk Pyramid), what everyone was going to be listening to for years to come! NOT JUST APPEAL TO PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO MUSIC THATS OLDER THAN THEY ARE!!

But don't you think Daft Punk sucks? The lineup is damn good. Especially considering there will be more adds in the upcoming weeks.

interpolitix
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
old people love the kills.

far gone and out
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
thread starter = dickhead

Barbara, the ninja
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
unemployment is way up, they're targeting people who HAVE money as opposed to those who WISH they could go. sucks, but true. FUCK THE KILLERS.

HAHA This is completely true. I think we'll be seeing more families this year.

humanoid
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm 31, and the age of the artist has no bearing on the quality or validity of their music, I don't even know what you're talking about exactly

Beethoven, Cohen, Chem Bros, Fleet Foxes, Foals(who should be here)

all great, whether they're 250 or 20

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm 31, and the age of the artist has no bearing on the quality or validity of their music, I don't even know what you're talking about exactly

Beethoven, Cohen, Chem Bros, Fleet Foxes, Foals(who should be here)

all great, whether they're 250 or 20

AGREED

HAHA This is completely true. I think we'll be seeing more families this year.

not quite sure

thread starter = dickhead

AGREED

old people love the kills.

yeah I know what you mean, the undercards are good and forward thinking...I have no idea why this guy thinks the lineup is all old people. guess that reasoning would go for last year too with roger waters but we all know that isnt correct

AGREED

karma_guy
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
if you want more electronica
go to ultra
and please stop complaining

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
if you want more electronica
go to ultra
and please stop complaining

now see I don't agree with this because coachella has always had a strong representation of edm, and we still have (I know I've said this 100 times) more Sahara acts to be added.

and further more why would it matter to anyone just going for rock if we do get more edm? I mean its kept to one tent so don't worry about it.

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
maybe for you coachella noobs this line-up is "OMG MBV LOLZ!!!1!!1!!" but if you've been going the past 5 years , like me, and you've seen everything that coachella can offer, like DAFT PUNK, RAGE, TOOL, RADIOHEAD, PRODIGY, CHEM BROS, DJ SHADOW, SONIC YOUTH, IGGY & the stooges, MARS VOLTA, JUSTICE FIRST LIVE SHOW EVER......this list of amazing bands that have played goes on and on.........and compared to that, this line-up sucks and is definitely geared towards an older crowd. I don't like miley, i dont like anything they play on the radio, which i havent listened to in years other than sports talk radio, but i guess thats the excuse all you 30somthings have to make instead of saying "yes, im and old person and i like shit that isn't relevant to anyone else cause thats just the genre i grew up listening to" sorry the truth hurts sometimes.........but its the truth and thats perfectly fine by me, but dont call me an uncultured fuck because of it

BTW, I LOVE DAFT PUNK, its just an ironic signature towards all the people on this message board who will never (and should never)stop talking about that amazing performance that changed the face of EDM forever

chiapet
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm Sorry, I love coachella, and all of you know this.......but when has one of these headliners been relevant in the past 15 years (other than Mcartney, I would love to see that, KILLERS SUCK).

What the hell are you on?

None of these headliners has been relevant in the past 15 years other than McCartney?

McCartney is the only one that has not been relevant in 15+ years.

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
try again, McCartney has released more albums in the past 5 years than most of the headliners.......

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
maybe for you coachella noobs this line-up is "OMG MBV LOLZ!!!1!!1!!" but if you've been going the past 5 years , like me, and you've seen everything that coachella can offer, like DAFT PUNK, RAGE, TOOL, RADIOHEAD, PRODIGY, CHEM BROS, DJ SHADOW, SONIC YOUTH, IGGY & the stooges, MARS VOLTA, JUSTICE FIRST LIVE SHOW EVER......this list of amazing bands that have played goes on and on.........and compared to that, this line-up sucks and is definitely geared towards an older crowd. I don't like miley, i dont like anything they play on the radio, which i havent listened to in years other than sports talk radio, but i guess thats the excuse all you 30somthings have to make instead of saying "yes, im and old person and i like shit that isn't relevant to anyone else cause thats just the genre i grew up listening to" sorry the truth hurts sometimes.........but its the truth and thats perfectly fine by me, but dont call me an uncultured fuck because of it

BTW, I LOVE DAFT PUNK, its just an ironic signature towards all the people on this message board who will never (and should never)stop talking about that amazing performance that changed the face of EDM forever

you are so ironic and hip....tragic as you are

daft$tar
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
jonny knows his shit and this line up is shit

AlecEiffel
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you seriously tearing down McCartney for being old while trying to cite Iggy & the Stooges as new and relevant? Don't get me wrong, Iggy is awesome and puts on a killer live show, but he hasn't released a relevant album since 1977.

daft$tar
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
btm line is that coachella is supposed to showcase the face and future of music - and that isnt happening at all...

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
try again, McCartney has released more albums in the past 5 years than most of the headliners.......

have they been noticed or critically acclaimed or influential? jesus and mary chain played in 07 guess they shouldnt have played either because Like ewww oooollllddd god so 80s. Tv on the Radio? The Kills? no? nothing? ok.

you see I dont have a problem with someone not liking the lineup but you offer no reasonable arguments here. how are silversun pick ups something for older people? thats just a few I could pick...and dude you are 24 guess what you are no spring chicken in just a few weee years you will be what you think is old. Im 29 and I in no way thing someone in their 30s is old. you just come off sounding like a little brat.

JonnyM
it seems your oldness is effecting you eye sight.........i love paul mcartney and in my first sentance i said "i would love to see that"

Sonicifyouwantit
jonny knows his shit and this line up is shit

you are ghey for him

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
btm line is that coachella is supposed to showcase the face and future of music - and that isnt happening at all...

STRAIGHT UP! COACHELLA IS ABOUT MIXING THE OLD AND NEW! This line-up definitely didn't even cost them HALF of '07 line-up!

chiapet
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM

????
2 albums of new material?

Killers had 3 new albums in the last 5 years.
The Cure have had 2 new albums in the last 5 years.
Morrissey has had 2 new albums in the last 5 years and has another on the way.

I wish you weren't incredibly stupid and uninformed.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
it seems your oldness is effecting you eye sight.........i love paul mcartney and in my first sentance i said "i would love to see that"

yes we all know mccartney is your exception, we got that from the first post.

locachica73
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
The money is in the 14-25 year olds? Fuck I must of done something wrong then cuz I was broke ass at that age.

JonnyM
Don't get me wrong, there are some acts the I would definitely love to see........but to drive all the way out 3 hours from LA and spend a weekend in the sun? THIS AINT COACHELLA

daft$tar
you are ghey for him

haha - <3

hes beyond str8

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 01:33 PM
STRAIGHT UP! COACHELLA IS ABOUT MIXING THE OLD AND NEW! This line-up definitely didn't even cost them HALF of '07 line-up!

well yeah, prince alone was $1,000,000+

I just dont see how you dont see new undercard acts in this roster...whether you like them or not is up to you but I mean I see mccartney who is old but your exception...I mean other than that yeah the cure has been around for a long time too but look at past headliners...roger waters, nin, the cure, rhcp and on and on. they have been around since the 80s and 70s.

chiapet
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Seriously, when I was < 23 I could only afford to go to a few shows a year (usually go to at least 50 a year now). Who knew there was no money to be made in people over 25? :)

JonnyM
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Think about it this way: how many people in they're 30's are gonna drop the kids for the weekend, drive across country, and spend 3 days in the blistering heat? exactly..........like someone said before me, there's gonna be a bunch of families at this coachella...........

interpolitix
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, there are some acts the I would definitely love to see........but to drive all the way out 3 hours from LA and spend a weekend in the sun? THIS AINT COACHELLA

3 hours from LA??

i'm coming from NY son.
i have friends booking tickets from new zealand and singapore.

what will you do instead?
hope that weak middle of the dodgers lineup small balls a run home?

chiapet
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Think about it this way: how many people in they're 30's are gonna drop the kids for the weekend, drive across country, and spend 3 days in the blistering heat? exactly..........like someone said before me, there's gonna be a bunch of families at this coachella...........

Yup, every person over 30 has kids, lives in the midwest in a suburb and is going to have to drive their SUV to Indio. You can't honestly be this naive at 24.

JonnyM
MANNY IS COMIN BACK, YOULL SEE! HAHA

Sonicifyouwantit
Seriously, when I was < 23 I could only afford to go to a few shows a year (usually go to at least 50 a year now). Who knew there was no money to be made in people over 25? :)

I just feel like I'm trying to argue with tight jean wearing hipster kid and its a waste of time. anyone can like or dislike the fest thats anyones right but come up with some good reasons...no forward thinking bands. I mean conor oberst, tv on the radio, the kills, airborne toxic event, fleet foxes, band of horses, glasvegas, friendly fires, nasa, pb&j...it goes on. they are all young bands last time I checked. do we need teenage bands playing?

to me my bloody valentine are just as acceptable as jesus and mary chain...they are both influential bands to these upstarts now. I dont know, there isnt one band today that is pushing in a forward direction that isnt being pushed that way by past influences.

interpolitix
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM

are you upset that the cast from the hills isn't playing this year?

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM

wow, umm I know there are thousands of people at 24 that have two kids...and thousands of people in their 30s single with no kids.

3 hours from LA??

i'm coming from NY son.
i have friends booking tickets from new zealand and singapore.

what will you do instead?
hope that weak middle of the dodgers lineup small balls a run home?

exactly I was thinking that too, oh wow 2 1/2 hour drive. for a 24 year old that should be a cake walk.

Yup, every person over 30 has kids, lives in the midwest in a suburb and is going to have to drive their SUV to Indio. You can't honestly be this naive at 24.

hahah, dont try I gave up.

GeezrRckr
01-30-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm 43 yo and think this line-up is a bit of an "oldchella" too. Having said that, I understand and appreciate that there will always be a divide...that's what makes being a music fan so great. I was just hoping for a lineup with more "punch" to commemorate the 10 yr anniversary. I know that there seems to be lots of people pumped with McCartney as a headliner, but the other two blow (imho). And, I don't necessarily go for the headliners per se, but with JJ last year and the shit-tastic Killers and kill-me-now Cure this year, it's just a buzz kill (esp after the undue wait this year) come that final slot. Seems like, in some respects, Coachella is moving backwards.

And, being that I love the edm, I sure hope you guys are right about the late adds for the Sahara (where's The Prodigy!?). Along the same lines, I have a distinct feeling that there will be another Prince caliber add for Saturday (which will move the Killers down into their proper place in the 2nd tier). Speaking of tiers...I also had a "wft" over where Girl Talk was placed.

K, I'm done. See all you whippersnappers under the tent.

the geezr

Double A
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
New and relevant should be what Coachella is about. Yes, McCartney was amazing with the Beatles. Yes, Morrissey was amazing in his prime and with the Smiths. But what about now? I love what the Beatles were, not what they've become... which is half dead. Paul McCartney is not the Beatles, he's simply a former member.
For those who love Radiohead:
Say Radiohead broke up next year, Thom Yorke went solo, and released okay music, but nothing comparable to OK Computer or Kid A. Then 15 - 20 years from now Thom decided to play a festival and play all the old Radiohead hits. Would you still enjoy it as much as new and relevant Radiohead?
Probably not.

I've never been to Coachella, and this year will not be my first. I want something new and cutting edge, not old, has been and revisited.

... And the Killers?? Are you kidding me?

Todfilm
01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Define new and relevant.

Cause if we were talking about the top selling artists, the lineup would be Beyonce, Nickelback, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, lil Wayne and Lady Gaga.

daft$tar
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Define new and relevant.

Cause if we were talking about the top selling artists, the lineup would be Beyonce, Nickelback, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, lil Wayne and Lady Gaga.

we arent talking about top selling artists

andromedarkly
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Damn, I'm washed up, way older than anyone in this thread!

This is no oldster line-up to me....except for the headliners, I've never heard of half these bands, but I will still check them out...

As for EDM, that's the big draw for me...always has been, always will be...as said, it's in it's own tent for chrisse sake...

I'll see Macca cause he's Macca...but you won't find this old man at the rail rocking it out with him...

manila
01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
i think this lineup is actually perfect. it might be on a par with the year Manu Chao, Rage and the Arcade Fire took the stage.

manila
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
New and relevant should be what Coachella is about. Yes, McCartney was amazing with the Beatles. Yes, Morrissey was amazing in his prime and with the Smiths. But what about now? I love what the Beatles were, not what they've become... which is half dead. Paul McCartney is not the Beatles, he's simply a former member.
For those who love Radiohead:
Say Radiohead broke up next year, Thom Yorke went solo, and released okay music, but nothing comparable to OK Computer or Kid A. Then 15 - 20 years from now Thom decided to play a festival and play all the old Radiohead hits. Would you still enjoy it as much as new and relevant Radiohead?
Probably not.

I've never been to Coachella, and this year will not be my first. I want something new and cutting edge, not old, has been and revisited.

... And the Killers?? Are you kidding me?

Have you seen Sir Paul live yet? I don't think so. So you don't know what you are talking about.

As for Morrissey...yes it's not the same that's he's not with the Smiths anymore. But he still plays their songs and it's still fun to hear them. Same as with the Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, Coachella is not just about defining new music. It's about bringing people together, young and old to have a good time. A lot of the new folk and indie bands now are influenced by older bands anyway.

and since you have never been to Coachella...get off this thread. you are embarrassing yourself. Experience it first, then you can rant.

instinct
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Are you fucking retarded? Coachella has always been branded as a music and arts festival not a rock festival. Did you know that some of the original Coachella event organizers have close ties with the Los Angeles Rave Scene (Sid-Z). That's retarded to say they billed EDM groups because they didn't have a big budget.. they could have easily billed rock groups for the same cost. Look at all the previous line-ups, EDM has had a large roll in Coachella. Sorry, but McCartney does not "rock" either.

dancedancedance
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Have you seen Sir Paul live yet? I don't think so. So you don't know what you are talking about.

As for Morrissey...yes it's not the same that's he's not with the Smiths anymore. But he still plays their songs and it's still fun to hear them. Same as with the Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, Coachella is not just about defining new music. It's about bringing people together, young and old to have a good time. A lot of the new folk and indie bands now are influenced by older bands anyway.

and since you have never been to Coachella...get off this thread. you are embarrassing yourself. Experience it first, then you can rant.

tell it!!!

seriously... enough with the bitching! you don't have to go and there will be room at the stages for the people who are there to enjoy it.

roxymusic18
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM

OLDCHELLA!

Yes, totally agree... NOachella 2009

MancYank
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
SO DON'T GO....NOBODY CARES.......for fucks sake...

interpolitix
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm 43 yo and think this line-up is a bit of an "oldchella" too. Having said that, I understand and appreciate that there will always be a divide...that's what makes being a music fan so great. I was just hoping for a lineup with more "punch" to commemorate the 10 yr anniversary. I know that there seems to be lots of people pumped with McCartney as a headliner, but the other two blow (imho). And, I don't necessarily go for the headliners per se, but with JJ last year and the shit-tastic Killers and kill-me-now Cure this year, it's just a buzz kill (esp after the undue wait this year) come that final slot. Seems like, in some respects, Coachella is moving backwards.

And, being that I love the edm, I sure hope you guys are right about the late adds for the Sahara (where's The Prodigy!?). Along the same lines, I have a distinct feeling that there will be another Prince caliber add for Saturday (which will move the Killers down into their proper place in the 2nd tier). Speaking of tiers...I also had a "wft" over where Girl Talk was placed.

K, I'm done. See all you whippersnappers under the tent.

the geezr

i absolutely have to call shenanigans on this dude.

the only 43 year olds that use phrases like...

"wtf"
"k"
"imho"
"edm"

...are child molesters.

take your perversions elsewhere, uncle larry, stewart, mr. bojangles or whatever creepy name you go by in real life.

Zippy024
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM

OLDCHELLA!

Prodigy? Chemical Bros? Relevant? Don't make me laugh. I saw them back in late 90s. They ain't that relevant anymore.

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Indeed it is not as strong as years past. Especially with the rediculous rumors that were floating. Every year almost they've been able to raise the bar again n again. My not be a legendary coachella lineup, but its still a strong lineup n worth your money n as everyone know they will add on someone late just hope its someone for shara tent. But I dont go for the Big Name on top. I go to see and hear lots of new artist n musical styles, i go for the experience and the people, and by the end of day three i go home with a list of new artist i cant wait to bump the whole year. People dont want to go cause the artists on their wish list arn't there, thats fine more dancing room for the rest of us.

virvilos
01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
this is definitely the thinking man's coachella... of all iconic bands to come out of rock they have nailed a few... leonard cohen my icon and god... paul mccartney was a beatle for christsake... morrissey of the smiths hell yeah..... and no one should ever talk shit about the cure.... they have yet to announce more of the lineup.. there are always suprises! believe me this will be my fourth year... i have yet to be disapointed... and i think this year shall be brilliant!

manila
01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
this is definitely the thinking man's coachella... of all iconic bands to come out of rock they have nailed a few... leonard cohen my icon and god... paul mccartney was a beatle for christsake... morrissey of the smiths hell yeah..... and no one should ever talk shit about the cure.... they have yet to announce more of the lineup.. there are always suprises! believe me this will be my fourth year... i have yet to be disapointed... and i think this year shall be brilliant!

amen!

jjbaldwi
01-30-2009, 11:51 PM
A wise man once told me...
FUCK THE DODGERS!!!
Where's the pitching beyond Billingsley?
Kershaw gonna be an ace this year?
DBacks division again.
Oh yeah, fuck the Cubs too. Your taste in baseball teams reflects your stance in this thread. Shitty.

Alejo
01-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Music never gets old, you do.

Xenocide
01-31-2009, 01:27 AM
the only people on the lineup older than Roger Waters, Kraftwerk, & Prince are Paul McCartney & Leonard Cohen...

in other words, 3 ancient headliners & subs in 2008
and ONE in 2009

TomAz
01-31-2009, 04:19 AM

You're a whiny bitch.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Boys Noize '09
WHOS WITH ME?! :D

whinywhiner
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Agreed, this lineup sucks. Where's the fucking EDM, where are the new and exciting bands? I'm not coming across the country to spend 3 days in the heat to watch this milquetoast shit.

Sigh, lol hopefully they make some revisions to this list (scrap the whole thing and start over).

Amneeziac
01-31-2009, 10:24 AM
oldchella indeed

You don't fuck with the Sahara crowd like that. If he does, he'll wish he'd died on that plane.

:rolleyes

Smokenut
01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
oldchella indeed

fuck DJ AM

that JEWISH BASTARD( is suing the airline pilots family for millions)

and besides he sucks as a DJ

and at life

Smokenut
01-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Boys Noize '09
WHOS WITH ME?! :D

yes! i second this!

and add

Dr. Lektroluv

and TIGA dj set!

PC-2 Violence
01-31-2009, 10:31 AM
yes! i second this!

and add

Dr. Lektroluv

and TIGA dj set!

THE RIZA IN THE DANCE TENT.

BROKENDOLL
01-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Think about it this way: how many people in they're 30's are gonna drop the kids for the weekend, drive across country, and spend 3 days in the blistering heat? exactly..........like someone said before me, there's gonna be a bunch of families at this coachella........... And how much difference is there between that and watching a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds sucking on pacifiers when they dance?

Damn, I'm washed up, way older than anyone in this thread!

This is no oldster line-up to me....except for the headliners, I've never heard of half these bands, but I will still check them out...

As for EDM, that's the big draw for me...always has been, always will be...as said, it's in it's own tent for chrisse sake...

I'll see Macca cause he's Macca...but you won't find this old man at the rail rocking it out with him... I just wanted to reply so I could nab that "way older" title away from you in this thread... :)

Chrisofdoom
01-31-2009, 10:59 AM
maybe for you coachella noobs this line-up is "OMG MBV LOLZ!!!1!!1!!" but if you've been going the past 5 years , like me, and you've seen everything that coachella can offer, like DAFT PUNK, RAGE, TOOL, RADIOHEAD, PRODIGY, CHEM BROS, DJ SHADOW, SONIC YOUTH, IGGY & the stooges,

wow...
Sonic youth is just as onld ad MVB...
and i shouldnt even have to explain the gap between the stooges and MVB.

You are a douche :/

I bet if you even go to coachella it would only to brag about going another year huh?

chiapet
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Yea, that made me laugh too. Nothing shows how relevant and "new" coachella is than listing off his preferred headliners -- which were all more important at least 10 years ago than they are now.

SurLaCarte
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
fuck DJ AM

that JEWISH BASTARD( is suing the airline pilots family for millions)

and besides he sucks as a DJ

and at life

Can someone ban this anti-semitic asshole already?

Deviate_420
01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd prefer "oldchella" to that sort of "shit-chella."

Line up this year is good. If you don't like it, save your money for warped tour, weenie roast, or some other fucked up shit that sucks.

I have been to coachella 5 years in a row and I must say, as the line up stands besides a few exceptions,warped tour has the better line up. I still have hope for this year seeing as how coachella has not let me down yet.

ivankay
01-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Does 5 years in a row make people an authority? If that's the case that is being made, then there a few of us that got you beat. By the logic being presented, what ever we say Coachella "should be" trumps you. i say Coachella should be what Paul thinks it should be. So far, he and the crew have done a fucking brilliant job bringing and maintaining a festival that no one in the concert promoting industry had the balls to do. The curves that get thrown usually turn out pretty damn good. Don't worry for those of you that think stepping within 200 feet of Mr. Cohen, McCartney or any artists that aren't "hot" enough, you will not develop back pain, creaky knees and a penchant for saying "Well, in my day...."

Great music is eternal. These performers have proven to be pretty great about presenting it. More than likely they will have some pretty epic moments. If it ain't your cup o tea, GV will have something else for you. They always do.

Deviate_420
01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not an authority at all. I'm just saying this year isn't really giving me a hard on like all the other years. I don't know who Cohen is and I'm not a McCartney fan. I knows it's a tough year and I still have hope.

ivankay
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
The add ons usually trip us out (Daft, Prince...). With this being the base to build on, i think you are going to have another amazing weekend. This time is also fun for the learning part. i love exploring the artists i'm not too familiar with.

MancYank
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Just smoke tons of weed...it'll ALL sound good

HGcoachella
02-15-2009, 11:31 AM
theres always someone that hates on coachella's lineup every year.
and every year that i have gone.. it has been fucking amazing and
i wait another 365 days again to go.

so shutttttttttt it.
get over it.
save your money and go to the baseball game or whatever you have planed
your officially annoyinnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

ps. I DONT WANT MILEY CYRUS AND THE JONAS BROS
ok.. thanks :)

Bud Luster
02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I have an idea. Curate your own festival. Invite whatever acts you think are appropriate. Become a legend. You don't have that in you, so you are just going to tell people that actually have, and are, the way things should be done. Stay home. It is as simple as that. No flaming here, just honest advice.

pancakespancakes
02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey aren't you the guy that started the Aphex Twin hoax thread last year? I do believe so.

pancakespancakes
02-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Ohhhh the memories....

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14090