PDA

View Full Version : GIRL TALK

watercurses
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
should headline sahara that night. he is the best ever and the only thing making friday worth my $100 bucks or whatever GV gauges you for now for one fucking day.

he is awesome live, one of the best things you will ever see if you are willing to go after the rest of the disappointments...

freshdirect
01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
HE'S ACTUALLY ONE OF THE WORST LIVE ACTS I'VE EVER SEEN, NEXT TO ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.

i havent heard girltalk live but i agree with your animal collective refrence

MeowMixer
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
It is fun to see Girl Talk. Fun like a birthday party!

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

let me guess... your favorite band is nickleback?

lowfront
01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm all for the girl talk party

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
HE DOESN'T DO SHIT, JUST PRESSES PLAY ON HIS LAPTOP AND THEN LET'S FAT GIRLS AND FRAT BROS DANCE ON THE STAGE. COULD DO THAT IN MY LIVING ROOM.

i don't think you understand how hard it is to mash-up songs like that with perfect fucking timing... that is why no one does it good because it isn't easy.

i don't care if he strums a guitar or presses a fucking button, he puts on a good show, and everyone gets into it and has fun. have fun crying with oberst.

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
MY FAVORITE BAND WAS AROUND THE CONDOM I USED TO ASS RAPE YOUR MOMMA LAST NIGHT

haha, wow... that explains your taste

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
HE'S ACTUALLY ONE OF THE WORST LIVE ACTS I'VE EVER SEEN, NEXT TO ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.

I never seen AC. BUT I saw Girl Talk recently and honestly it was the one of the worst concerts I've seen in a while.
No offense but I'm going to be doing something else during his set.

Pass

Botrocker
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
should headline sahara that night. he is the best ever and the only thing making friday worth my $100 bucks or whatever GV gauges you for now for one fucking day.

he is awesome live, one of the best things you will ever see if you are willing to go after the rest of the disappointments...

This fails so bad that I'm glad the other members haven't gotten to you yet.

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
i don't think you understand how hard it is to mash-up songs like that with perfect fucking timing... that is why no one does it good because it isn't easy.

Actually, he is most likely using Ableton live which has a "Warp" function that allows you to setup ALL of your timing before hand.
I use both Ableton and vinyl, and let me tell you that beatmatching on vinyl takes skill. Beatmatching in ableton does not.

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually, he is most likely using Ableton live which has a "Warp" function that allows you to setup ALL of your timing before hand.
I use both Ableton and vinyl, and let me tell you that beatmatching on vinyl takes skill. Beatmatching in ableton does not.

hmm i wonder why he is the only one who is good at doing it then?

KNEE GROWS
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
2MANYDJS DID IT FIRST AND BETTER

microcuts
01-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Because maybe other people tend do more interesting things than blatantly rehashing other people's music.

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM

He's not, laptop DJ's are a dime a dozen now a days. He obviously is good in the eyes of some. All im saying is that beatmatching in ableton is SUPER EASY. I do it EVERYDAY and Im a rookie.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
It is fun to see Girl Talk. Fun like a birthday party!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but, I'll take that as a good review 'cause I have a good time at my birthday parties.

Plus I hear Girl Talk is great live. So I'm looking forward to it.

Mr.Nipples
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
girl turd

higgybaby23
01-30-2009, 10:23 AM

Grandmaster Flash was doing this back in '79, mashing up Queen and Chic.

I'm a little surprised by Girl Talk's billing, it seems a little high. Perhaps current popularity trumps past acheivements. Example: The Crystal Method are a much more established and noteworthy act, yet they appear on the fourth line.

Whatever, for better or worse, Girl Talk will be probaly be one of the most watched and enjoyed acts on Friday. Just not sure he will be watched by me.

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Grandmaster Flash was doing this back in '79, mashing up Queen and Chic.

I'm a little surprised by Girl Talk's billing, it seems a little high. Perhaps current popularity trumps past acheivements. Example: The Crystal Method are a much more established and noteworthy act, yet they appear on the fourth line.

Whatever, for better or worse, Girl Talk will be probaly be one of the most watched and enjoyed acts on Friday. Just not sure he will be watched by me.

EW crystal method??? i saw them at PARTY a few months ago, yeah, they play parties now. they were terrible. worst shit ever.

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
unless you're white trash i guess...

MonsoonSeason
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM

obviously someone hasn't used ableton live :/

it's easy to do because the program is specifically designed to make it easy to do. so it's not really skill related. girl talk just puts a lot of passion into his work, samples really good stuff, and thus he shines over other guys who do mash-ups.

he's way way too high on the billing though, I mean he's on the same line as Leonard Cohen

also Leonard Cohen playing in america should be worth your 100 dollar bills

higgybaby23
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
EW crystal method??? i saw them at PARTY a few months ago, yeah, they play parties now. they were terrible. worst shit ever.

I actually agree with your opinion of Crystal Method, but Girl Talk will probably be playing the same party circuit in a couple of years.

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:37 AM
The Crystal Method actually produce ORIGINAL music. They worked they're way up with there OWN tracks. Girl Talk just mixes.

Chill out, Im not bashing you, or your taste.

TCM>GT (my 2 cents)

higgybaby23
obviously someone hasn't used ableton live :/

it's easy to do because the program is specifically designed to make it easy to do. so it's not really skill related. girl talk just puts a lot of passion into his work, samples really good stuff, and thus he shines over other guys who do mash-ups.

he's way way too high on the billing though, I mean he's on the same line as Leonard Cohen

also Leonard Cohen playing in america should be worth your 100 dollar bills

Well put. End of thread.

sdcheezy
Quantize much?
GirlTalk no

JUSTICE YES.

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
End of thread.

Agreed

MeowMixer
01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The Crystal Method actually produce ORIGINAL music. They worked they're way up with there OWN tracks. Girl Talk just mixes.

Chill out, Im not bashing you, or your taste.

TCM>GT (my 2 cents)

GT> Your mom> TCM

:2c

myelectrolife
01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
FAIL

betao
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Girl Talk headlining the Sahara tent would be an insult to the world of real class EDM.

Botrocker
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Girl Talk headlining the Sahara tent would be an insult to the world of real class EDM.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Thats why GV will not let it happen.

watercurses
01-30-2009, 10:59 AM

insult? more like privilege.

buskiller
01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I actually agree with your opinion of Crystal Method, but Girl Talk will probably be playing the same party circuit in a couple of years.

girl talk is a party dj, that's what he does, he dj'd parties and now he's going dj at coachella for his 2nd time as an even bigger act. why you all hatin' cuz he samples n mashes.. that's his whole getup.. i l l e g a l a r t.

betao
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
insult? more like privilege.

I'm going to assume that you dont listen to alot of EDM.

lowfront
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Girl talk = fucking great party

enough said

over

I'm so excited for him to be in the sahara

watercurses
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm going to assume that you dont listen to alot of EDM.

no it's not that. i am not saying girl talk is EDM per say since he doesn't really mash up that kind of music but i think he would do well in that tent.

OutOfmYminD
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I am hoping that GT has a really fun set with ample distractions to make up for the actual music being played.

Especially since The Go! Team isn't billed for the second straight year, BS>!

BrickTop24
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Girl Talk to headline over Crystal Method?

oftheheartofthesoul
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Girl Talk to headline over Crystal Method?

Who will bring more people? The correct answer is Girl Talk.

See you in Sahara, bitches.

Rockstarboy37
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
more people = bigger party

im down

JoshTheBoyd
01-30-2009, 09:51 PM
girl talk, main stage, headlining after mccartney. do it gv!

just saying it would look hilarious, one little dude on that huuuuuge ass stage. although i guess it'll look the same in sahara.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
^^bahahahah that might actually be kinda cool.

OreoRabbit
01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
they did the same with tiesto in 07. so lame.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
well, that's different. tiesto is shit. girl talk, however, is not.

krk67
01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Girl Talk is about the circus of it. He knows how to add playful elements to the show (mostly balloons and such -- but TONS of them), kind of in the vein of Flaming Lips.

It's not my cup of tea, but it was really enjoyable to watch how much fun people were having.

jjbaldwi
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I am diggin Girl Talk. Really hope there is no conflict with McCartney.
And hopefully no conflict with the Black Keys.

thatfinkleygirl
01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
hopefuilly no conflict with the Black Keys.

that idea never occurred to me for some reason .... shit.

JClemy
01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I enjoy girl talk quite a bit and he puts on a fun show. I actually got to interview him and he's a pretty nice guy too. I don't think overall that he is the most amazing act in the lineup but I like him. People will enjoy him.

Also he is nowhere near as good as the flaming lips.

DJ Pop-A-Smurf
01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
I think girl talk is the shit and cant wait to see it live should be intrestin and wanna hear some fresh mash ups, but i dont think he can headline. I think hes capable of it, but as you can see A. not everyone is for that style and B. Sahara tent headliner has to be someone every1 who likes to dance will like some1 who can pull people away from the main stage headliner like it has been in years past just look.

C DUB YA
01-31-2009, 08:42 AM

This is the most retarded thing I have ever read.

Girl Talk is fun, sure. He was good in 2007, but this frankensteining frat-boy lovin thing he does on stage is very trendy (not to mention 2 Many DJ's did it TONS better in 04). To say "the rest of the disappointments" shows how LITTLE you know. So Girl Talk is your "one"?!? With so many other good acts, your choice is weak my friend ,very weak.

Again not saying he isn't fun, he is, but its not really about him anyways... Lord knows he isn't writing or performing any fucking music, so what he does is party music, which is and will always be temporary.

He just played the Abercrombie and Fitch corporate party here in Ohio and right before that he played a corporate party for Hot Topic corporate (seriously)... that's now his audience.

A few days after the A&F thing, I caught one of his 3 sold out tour stops in Ohio last week, and while I had a good time, I couldn't help recall a famous Johnny Rotten quote...

"Did you ever feel you've been cheated"?

C DUB YA
01-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Girl Talk is about the circus of it. He knows how to add playful elements to the show (mostly balloons and such -- but TONS of them), kind of in the vein of Flaming Lips.

It's not my cup of tea, but it was really enjoyable to watch how much fun people were having.

He is fun, but I get bored sick of watching skanks and meatheads lip-sync filthy rap after a few minutes.

So he throws out a few balloons and those lame toilet paper blowers (zzzzzz)...

The Lips take props to whole other levels....

CurableOkie
01-31-2009, 09:43 AM
So he throws out a few balloons and those lame toilet paper blowers (zzzzzz)...

The Lips take props to whole other levels....

Yeah on behalf of Oklahoma, Girl Talk doesn't do stage props "in the same vein" as The Lips. Not even in the same body. If anything Girl Talk is looking to the Lips for tips on how to make a live show more fun. Hell, The Lips even influenced Of Montreal's live shows.

The Flaming Lips man, what a gem.

p.s. Girl Talk is a party. Me, I like to party.

krk67
01-31-2009, 09:45 AM
I was just referencing that he uses props, as the Flaming Lips do. I didn't say he was better or anywhere near the quality of talent that are the Lips, for crissakes.

I also said he wasn't my cup of tea. That kind of implies that I'm not really there. I was just explaining why he's as popular as he is.

But Wayne Coyne? Now there's my cup of tea.

Memorial_07
01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
they were annoying in '07, they had to come back in '08 and now they are here for a third year?

Blasphemy