PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's of this lineup.

ThunderInTheSky
01-30-2009, 09:30 AM
First off I understand Golvenvoice has not announced the "full" lineup yet, but I do have a few things I would like to say.

Great job getting Superchunk, My Bloody Valentine and Leonard Cohen I am very stoked about those artist but I must ask the following.

Why are the Killers headlining? These guys are touring the states and playing theaters that hold 1500-2500 people. They are not headline material.

How is Amy Winehouse a subheadliner? 5 Grammys or not she isn't playing with the Dap-Kings anymore and will she even be prepared to play this show?

Why is Electric Touch higher on the poster than bands with rich histories and great followings? I get it, these kids dad is Louis Messina but fuck that shit, the band is pure shit and only get on festivals thanks to daddy. I am tired of this shit.

I realize PF said more Sahara acts to come, but you better come with something good. Orbital, Underworld, Boards of Canada... SOMETHING because I am not impressed with the electronic aspect of this year at all.

Other things I am not impressed with.... Where the fuck is all good Hip Hop? Yeah Atmosphere and Lupe but I've seen these guys before. Can we get some Deltron3030, Immortal Technique, Madvillan, MF Doom or hell even De La Soul, they're touring!

Anyways what does everyone else think?

Hopefully we get a decent headliner on Saturday(Fingers still crossed for Bowie, denial and all) with some worthy subheadliners like Neil Young perhaps?

ThunderInTheSky
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Any thoughts on this?

malcolmjamalawesome
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I think your use of apostrophes is atrocious.

freshdirect
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
First off I understand Golvenvoice has not announced the "full" lineup yet, but I do have a few things I would like to say.

Great job getting Superchunk, My Bloody Valentine and Leonard Cohen I am very stoked about those artist but I must ask the following.

Why are the Killers headlining? These guys are touring the states and playing theaters that hold 1500-2500 people. They are not headline material.

How is Amy Winehouse a subheadliner? 5 Grammys or not she isn't playing with the Dap-Kings anymore and will she even be prepared to play this show?

Why is Electric Touch higher on the poster than bands with rich histories and great followings? I get it, these kids dad is Louis Messina but fuck that shit, the band is pure shit and only get on festivals thanks to daddy. I am tired of this shit.

I realize PF said more Sahara acts to come, but you better come with something good. Orbital, Underworld, Boards of Canada... SOMETHING because I am not impressed with the electronic aspect of this year at all.

Other things I am not impressed with.... Where the fuck is all good Hip Hop? Yeah Atmosphere and Lupe but I've seen these guys before. Can we get some Deltron3030, Immortal Technique, Madvillan, MF Doom or hell even De La Soul, they're touring!

Hopefully we get a decent headliner on Saturday(Fingers still crossed for Bowie, denial and all) with some worthy subheadliners like Neil Young perhaps?

neil? SUBheadlining?
your outta your mind. he is headline material yo.

summerkid
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I think hip hop is much stronger this year than it has been in years you mention lupe and atmosphere but forgot...
Public Enemy
Clipse
The Knux
peanut butter wolf
Themselves
people under the stairs

that's quality right there. Last year they had what? Murs, little brother, and the cool kids?

Boourns
01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Pros:
McCartney
Cohen
MBV
Cure
YYYs
Moz
diversity
poster is pretty, even if it looks almost the same as 2007's

Cons:
the Sahara lineup...but Dani promises change we can believe in
the Killers headlining
Saturday's subheadliners (wouldn't mind checking out Thievery Corp, though)
no Neil Young, Asobi Seksu, Boris, Fever Ray, Mono, Deerhunter (really? is Bradford's health why?)
no Fever Ray
no trainchella (yet?)
fees up the wazoo

nationocean
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Cons:
the Killers headlining
no Neil Young, Asobi Seksu, Boris, Fever Ray, Mono, Deerhunter (really? is Bradford's health why?)
no Fever Ray
no trainchella (yet?)
fees up the wazoo

You said it quite well. I've checked out Thievery though and I'm not a fan.

skavenbrew
01-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll be suprised if the Killers end up headlining.... late addition most likely.

gooftroop
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
?

You failed to mention the best hip-hop acts they have this year! Peanut Butter Wolf, Public Enemy and motherfuckin Clipse! Clipse especially kills it live, I have not seen Peanut Butter Wolf yet. It's about as much hiphop as they usually have.

I love the undercard mostly, the headliners are weak to me. I only care about Paul, Killers are weak and Cure..meh. MBV THOUGH! AWESOME!
Lots of holes to fill right now though, especially in the Sahara, hopefully they do it right.

gooftroop
01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Pros:
McCartney
Cohen
MBV
Cure
YYYs
Moz
diversity
poster is pretty, even if it looks almost the same as 2007's

Cons:
the Killers headlining
no Fever Ray
no trainchella (yet?)
fees up the wazoo

Deerhunter should be there! It can't be his health, they were just added to Langerado like 3 days ago! I like your list.

hobomilitia
01-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I'll be suprised if the Killers end up headlining.... late addition most likely.

I agree. it seems to me that the killers are a place holder on the lineup, that will move thievery corp off the second line when they add a saturday headliner.

Trudeau
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I agree. it seems to me that the killers are a place holder on the lineup, that will move thievery corp off the second line when they add a saturday headliner.

My thoughts exactly.

ThunderInTheSky
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
You failed to mention the best hip-hop acts they have this year! Peanut Butter Wolf, Public Enemy and motherfuckin Clipse! Clipse especially kills it live, I have not seen Peanut Butter Wolf yet. It's about as much hiphop as they usually have.

I love the undercard mostly, the headliners are weak to me. I only care about Paul, Killers are weak and Cure..meh. MBV THOUGH! AWESOME!
Lots of holes to fill right now though, especially in the Sahara, hopefully they do it right.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I saw Public Enemy at SxSw a few years back and it was mediocre at best.

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM

The Killers arent that bad, I like Atmosphere alot. I hate Immortal Technique, and electronic music makes me sick.

I am happy with this lineup.

captncrzy
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I think your use of apostrophes is atrocious.

I seriously love you.

gooftroop
01-30-2009, 10:32 AM
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I saw Public Enemy at SxSw a few years back and it was mediocre at best.

I was there too, show was alright. I just have lots of respect for Chuck D and their group in general, I'll admit though it wasn't a killer show or anything. Not anywhere near a Coachella setting either...I remember feeling a bit awkward with all the families around. Clipse though..saw them at Pitchfork. Awesome!

betao
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
PROS:

- 2 headliners I wouldn't mind watching
- MY BLOODY EFFING VALENTINE
- less electro than last year
- good quality sahara undercard
- good quality undercard in general actually
- a Beatle!
- a fair amount of quality hip hop acts

CONS

- some billing issues (amy whinehouse? what the hell is she doing on the 2nd line?)
- girl talk being billed on the 3rd line which makes him the sahara headliner - this is an insult to the world of EDM
- Uneven on days it seems. Saturday seems too weak while sunday seems too heavy - they should give MBV to Saturday to even it out for conflicts.
- no real Sahara headliners (but hopefully this'll change)
- groove armada is only a DJ set
- travisDJ-AM or whatever his name is

RageAgainst
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Hell ya Paul Mc,people under the stairs,fraNZ ferdinand,mastodon,lupe,atmosphere,felix, sahara

COns-Yeah yeah yeahs,morissey,the cure (they are good its just they play all the time i wanted someone more special on sat,and peter bjorn and john..i like em but dont they suck live ex coach 07

neverclever
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
cons:
after paul mccartney the rest of the festival could feel like a let down...

pros:
after paul mccartney the rest of the festival could feel like butter, msg and gravy...

amdux
01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
saturday looks to be the weakest day of the three - SO FAR - thievery and a few others notwithstanding -

IngenJoolerie
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
pros

havent seen a lot of these acts

cons

trvs dj am
no fever ray!! :(
lack of sahara big names
girl talk at night in the sahara? really?

names that would get me more titilated
outkast
chem brothers
dr. lektroluv
yuksek
djedjotronic

iloveorangejuice
01-30-2009, 10:57 AM
DIRRRRRRR UR YOOSE UF PERIODZZZZ UHFENDS MEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

drewdrewdrew
01-30-2009, 10:57 AM
FUCK OUTKAST

Sexecutioner
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
cons:
after paul mccartney the rest of the festival could feel like a let down...

pros:
after paul mccartney the rest of the festival could feel like butter, msg and gravy...

haha, great points. i hope its the latter.

Sexecutioner
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
FUCK OUTKAST

fuck you douchebag.

greenredblack
01-30-2009, 11:13 AM
pros:
bajofondo, the hold steady, m. ward, patton & rahzel, black keys, beirut, conor oberst & the mvb, leonard cohen, morrissey, paul mccartney, bob mould(!), liars, dr. dog, superchunk, mstrkrft, fleet foxes, the kills, antony and the johnsons, x, jenny lewis, my bloody valentine, etc. etc. etc.

cons:

brycerosen
01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
while I dont like it The Killers do not play theaters they play arena when they tour look it up, I think if anyone gets passed up it will actualy be the cure, they werent even big enough to headline acoustic x mas, the had to co headline with the killers

amdux
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
the cure is more worthy of the headliner slot than the killers -

etothe3
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Worst Fucking lineup ever. What a steaming pile of shit, from the top down SAVE: Patton, MSTRKRFT, Mastadon, Rollins.
How disappointing. Fuck you Coachella, im going to a festival this year but it sure as hell aint gonna be you.
How the fuck do you connect the dots from 2007 to this? FUCKING WEAK.

greenredblack
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Worst Fucking lineup ever. What a steaming pile of shit, from the top down SAVE: Patton, MSTRKRFT, Mastadon, Rollins.
How disappointing. Fuck you Coachella, im going to a festival this year but it sure as hell aint gonna be you.
How the fuck do you connect the dots from 2007 to this? FUCKING WEAK.

Stop talking to a concept.

Jankster
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Pros: McCartney, PE, Bob Mould, X, Fleet Foxes, Conner, People under the Stairs, Atmosphere, Groove Armada.

Cons: Where are The Bees? And, no Replacements.

Heimster
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Pros - there are 8-10 bands on the undercard that I've never heard of that I'm going to end up loving - just like every year.

Cons - Amy Winejunkie