PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Lineup is Kind of 'Meh' and I'm still going....

Vic Viper
01-30-2009, 07:26 AM
BECAUSE ITS FUCKING COACHELLA.

FUCK YOU IDIOTS.

boyblue
01-30-2009, 07:28 AM
i personally am fucking psyched for this lineup. obviously i would go anyway, but i am quite far from let down.

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
worst lineup EVERRR

and i'm still going

:(

Prof. Amaretto
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Worst lineup ever, and I'll keep my money.

obzen
01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Saturday kept me from being overwelmed-im still going though,no doubts here
im crossing my fingers for a late Saturday add-on though

hypervera
01-30-2009, 07:36 AM
yeah coachella 09 looks a lot better than the last year!!!! :D

Botrocker
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Its all about Sunday!!!

drsaith
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
she's not sexy at all, but i'm still going to fuck her.

because she's a girl. you idiots.

voiceofthemasses
01-30-2009, 07:38 AM
yeah coachella 09 looks a lot better than the last year!!!! :D

did you go last year? just curious

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 07:44 AM
worst lineup EVERRR

and i'm still going

:(

Get you head checked, fool.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite lineup since 2004.

Friday:
A Place to Bury Strangers
Crystal castles
LEONARD COHEN!!!
Los Capesinos
M. Ward
Morrisey
Sir Paul
Black Keys
The Presets
The Hold Steady
The Bug

Saturday:
Band of Horses
Bob Mould
Calexico
Dr. Dog
DBT
Glasvegas
Henry Rollins
Hercules & Love Affair
Liars
Superchunk
TV on the Radio

Sunday:
Jenny Lewis
Late of the Pier
Lykke Li
MBV!!!
Okkervil
No Age
Public Enemy
The Cure
Vivian Girls
X
YYY's

I mean, if you think this lineup is merely "meh" then you have unrealistic expectations or just like really crappy music.

voiceofthemasses
01-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Get you head checked, fool.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite lineup since 2004.

Friday:
A Place to Bury Strangers
Crystal castles
LEONARD COHEN!!!
Los Capesinos
M. Ward
Morrisey
Sir Paul
Black Keys
The Presets
The Hold Steady
The Bug

Saturday:
Band of Horses
Bob Mould
Calexico
Dr. Dog
DBT
Glasvegas
Henry Rollins
Hercules & Love Affair
Liars
Superchunk
TV on the Radio

Sunday:
Jenny Lewis
Late of the Pier
Lykke Li
MBV!!!
Okkervil
No Age
Public Enemy
The Cure
Vivian Girls
X
YYY's

I mean, if you think this lineup is merely "meh" then you have unrealistic expectations or just like really crappy music.

what if he doesn't care for most if not all of those bands? Does he still have crappy taste in music?

drsaith
01-30-2009, 07:49 AM
yeah, if you tend to hang out in the sahara and listen to electronica, this year was a huge letdown. even the bands that appeal to the electronica people, like hot chip, cut copy, portishead, prince, roger waters, kraftwerk, goldfrapp, midnight juggernauts seem to be missing too.

Memorial_07
01-30-2009, 07:50 AM
All days are amazing and it isn't "Meh" but at least you people that are saying "Meh" are still going unlike other whiny people on the board

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
my taste in music is just fine trust me

i just don't care for most of , if not all, of these bands.

it's a let down for me. i'm still going, i'll still have fun.

i LOVE:

tv on the radio
antony
hercules & love affair
paul mccarntney
the bug
buraka sound sistema
peanut butter wolf
mastadon

but that's really it :(

honest, and i've heard most all these bands...

i live in NY and i see drop the lime and company every weekend. so thats not exciting

the rest of the DJ's are hacks (ghostland) or hasbeens (crystal method)

i hate the cure, killers, and morrisey..

everything else .. meh.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 07:52 AM
what if he doesn't care for most if not all of those bands? Does he still have crappy taste in music?

Yes. Yes he does. This isn't even worthy of discussion. I'd love to hear who he was pining for to play. As good as SXSW is going to be this year, Coachella has me locked in and feeling even better. I'd continue going on, but reall¥ this is about his crappy music tastes, not my sweeping generalizations about what qualifies as crappy music tastes.

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
^ wrong

check the 2007 and 2008 posters for my taste in music.

i'm allowed to not like the fucking cure or morrisey, jeeez

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 07:55 AM

i LOVE:

tv on the radio
antony
hercules & love affair
paul mccarntney
the bug
buraka sound sistema
peanut butter wolf
mastadon

i live in NY and i see drop the lime and company every weekend. so thats not exciting

everything else .. meh.

Out of curiosity, who were you expecting? And I apologize for the tone of my initial and follow-up posts. Music taste is subjective, obviously, but I don't see how someone could call this the "Worst Lineup Ever". I'll submit 2006, 2007 AND 2008 lineups as examples of worse lineups.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
^ wrong

check the 2007 and 2008 posters for my taste in music.

i'm allowed to not like the fucking cure or morrisey, jeeez

OK, I get it, you hate Morrisey and the Cure. Antony and the Johnsons blows you away. And frankly, if I were interested only in the electronic acts, this would be extremely underwhelming. But again, who were you pining for?

Young blood
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Out of curiosity, who were you expecting? And I apologize for the tone of my initial and follow-up posts. Music taste is subjective, obviously, but I don't see how someone could call this the "Worst Lineup Ever". I'll submit 2006, 2007 AND 2008 lineups as examples of worse lineups.

so true.

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
^ which means our tastes differ i suppose..

this year was rough for expectations because nobody that i love really had an album coming out anyways...

i would have liked:

outkast (dream)
animal collective
of montreal
deerhunter
the flaming lips
erykah badu
pj harvey

i just absolutely loathe morrissey, the killers, and the cure. i never caught on to leonard cohen and my bloody valentine never did it for me.

i understand these are big names with big followings, just not me...

bad luck really. portishead, prince, aphex twin, roger waters... those are "to die for" headliners for me.

different strokes, different folks

braundiggity
01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Every year you're disappointed by the initial lineup, then you listen to more of the acts, and by the time the show hits, you're pumped.

That's just how it goes. How are people not used to this yet?

moomoo
01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Anyone who decides to not go (out-of-state and foreigners aside) because of the initial lineup is going to miss out hardcore.

The lineup to me was pretty meh, but I'm still fucking super stoked (FUCKING SUPER STOKED) to go. 2008 poster started off as shit too but eventually turned into epicness.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Again, I sincerely apologize for you having crappy music tastes (please take this as a joke, for God's sake), but you can prove me wrong in a jiffy by telling me what would make this lineup better.

braundiggity
01-30-2009, 08:01 AM
yeah, if you tend to hang out in the sahara and listen to electronica, this year was a huge letdown. even the bands that appeal to the electronica people, like hot chip, cut copy, portishead, prince, roger waters, kraftwerk, goldfrapp, midnight juggernauts seem to be missing too.

So what you're saying is, they didn't bring back everyone who played last year, so you're disappointed?

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Again, I sincerely apologize for you having crappy music tastes (please take this as a joke, for God's sake), but you can prove me wrong in a jiffy by telling me what would make this lineup better.

outkast (dream)
animal collective
of montreal
deerhunter
the flaming lips
erykah badu
pj harvey
air france
amadou & mariam

&
better DJs

i have young taste....

idiotmystery
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Paul McCartney and Amy Winehouse....are you kidding me. They do not represent Indepedant Music. The Cure, can we get an older band, might as well booked the Rolling Stones also. I'm saving my money...

Young blood
01-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Paul McCartney and Amy Winehouse....are you kidding me. They do not represent Indepedant Music. The Cure, can we get an older band, might as well booked the Rolling Stones also. I'm saving my money...

go to pitchfork fest. I will miss your negativity.

NicoDread
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM

i LOVE:

tv on the radio
antony
hercules & love affair
paul mccarntney
the bug
buraka sound sistema
peanut butter wolf
mastadon

everything else .. meh.

Ghostland aren't DJs or hacks...

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 08:06 AM
^ i'm not a fan of the schtick or the music

i know, theres instruments.

travolta
01-30-2009, 08:08 AM
love all the people trying to defend the lineup

get a grip people. maybe in years past people's gripes were unwarranted but this is easily the weakest lineup SO FAR

Young blood
01-30-2009, 08:09 AM
okay.....so why are you here?

bleep
01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
2006, 2007 AND 2008 lineups as examples of worse lineups.
don't drag '06 into this. my favorite year since i started attending in '03.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
^ which means our tastes differ i suppose..

this year was rough for expectations because nobody that i love really had an album coming out anyways...

i would have liked:

outkast (dream)
animal collective
of montreal
deerhunter
the flaming lips
erykah badu
pj harvey

i just absolutely loathe morrissey, the killers, and the cure. i never caught on to leonard cohen and my bloody valentine never did it for me.

i understand these are big names with big followings, just not me...

bad luck really. portishead, prince, aphex twin, roger waters... those are "to die for" headliners for me.

different strokes, different folks

First off, I beg you to give Cohen and MBV another chance... You hate the Killers (as do I), The Cure and Morrisey. Avoid them at all costs then. Most people who hate The Cure probably hate Morrissey, as well.

outkast (dream)---I can see this being exciting, but I think this is a bigger letdown because they were so heavily rumored to play.
animal collective---you're right, different strokes... I want to like MPP. believe me, I do. There are moments of brilliance. Then there's songs like "My Girls" which basically ensure I'll never learn to love this album completely. But for god's sake, it's not tough to catch an AC show. They're playing here in April, I believe and have played Coach before (twice, right?).
of montreal-Seems like I've seen them 4 times in the past 2 years. New album was less than lackluster. They'd be nice, but in no way can I see them making or breaking anyone's
deerhunter-- this would be good. I'd actually prefer an Atlas Sound set, but Deerhunter would be fantastic.
the flaming lips--- Always fun, I'll grant you this, but again, I've seen them 20 times or so. The novelty is gone and their music has been declining since "Yoshimi".
erykah badu--- great new album.
pj harvey--- this would be good. Our disparate music tastes both include PJ among the "great".

This is the year of Animal Collective, I suppose, but geesh, as much as I want to like MPP, I can't get by the fact that "My Girls" sounds like an Animal Collective parody of sorts.

drsaith
01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
So what you're saying is, they didn't bring back everyone who played last year, so you're disappointed?

not to bring back the same bands, but hopefully something vaguely similar, but newer, in the same vein. i know that the sahara tent isn't finalized, but they glossed over it a ton, and that is where i spent 75% of my time last year. the reason i love coachella, other than the atmosphere and the headliners, is that they have a dedicated "dance" tent that can rival the mainstage if thats your thing, lolla and bonnaroo and some of the other smaller fests dont have that.

tigermilkboy
01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I would say the main stage line-up lacks a certain 'cutting edge in a contemporary sense' but name wise Leonard Cohen is amazing-I saw him at Glastonbury last year and was great. I mean Morrissey, Leonard Cohen and Paul McCartney is pretty stacked-although they could easily be at Stagecoach. This might be your only chance to see Leonard Cohen.
Then Sunday you have The Cure and MBV. Okay not exactly at their creative peaks but a lot of history behind them.
I do have problems for Sat, I admit! But there is enough at the same time and I am willing to be open-minded and surprised.
I am sure GV would love to give us every huge name but they have a cautious budget-they are hurting with a lack of sponsor and vendor revenue. But regardlessly GV has to run a financially viable festival or there won't be one in 2010.

travolta
01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
okay.....so why are you here?

"weakest lineup SO FAR"

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
First off, I beg you to give Cohen and MBV another chance... You hate the Killers (as do I), The Cure and Morrisey. Avoid them at all costs then. Most people who hate The Cure probably hate Morrissey, as well.

outkast (dream)---I can see this being exciting, but I think this is a bigger letdown because they were so heavily rumored to play.
animal collective---you're right, different strokes... I want to like MPP. believe me, I do. There are moments of brilliance. Then there's songs like "My Girls" which basically ensure I'll never learn to love this album completely. But for god's sake, it's not tough to catch an AC show. They're playing here in April, I believe and have played Coach before (twice, right?).
of montreal-Seems like I've seen them 4 times in the past 2 years. New album was less than lackluster. They'd be nice, but in no way can I see them making or breaking anyone's
deerhunter-- this would be good. I'd actually prefer an Atlas Sound set, but Deerhunter would be fantastic.
the flaming lips--- Always fun, I'll grant you this, but again, I've seen them 20 times or so. The novelty is gone and their music has been declining since "Yoshimi".
erykah badu--- great new album.
pj harvey--- this would be good. Our disparate music tastes both include PJ among the "great".

This is the year of Animal Collective, I suppose, but geesh, as much as I want to like MPP, I can't get by the fact that "My Girls" sounds like an Animal Collective parody of sorts.

i can i enjoy MBV, and it will be nice to SEE cohen before he dies..

oh add TOM WAITS to my list of would be awesome...

but please man, give me your list of "must sees" this year, cause i'm not seeing it :(

TheWatcher
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't know I just woke up. I am looking at the lineup, trying to feel excited..

but all I see is a lot of meh.

The bands on this list that I would want to see I have already seen, so it's starting to feel like a KROQ concert.

I hope they add someone good in the Sahara tent, because that looks very weak this year. Hopefully after I check out the artists that I don't know I will change my mind.

Again, I am not quite awake, so...

uniform72
I don't think I'll ever not go at least one day. We'll be lounging it the fuck up in Palm Springs regardless.

nothingman00
outkast (dream)
animal collective
of montreal
deerhunter
the flaming lips
erykah badu
pj harvey
air france
amadou & mariam

&
better DJs

i have young taste....

Fair enough. I'm 30 and am ecstatic about seeing Leonard Cohen, MBV, The Cure (again) and even Morrissey. Public Enemy will be nostalgic, as well. And I love a lot of the newer acts on theere and also hate the electronica acts, for the most part. Then again, ambient elec. is what I like: Jacaszek, Grouper, Fennesz, Eluivum (if you could call that electronica). But yeah, I understand where you're coming from with the young tastes. I was just completely overwhelmed looking at the lineup. This has great potential. Now, if they'd just add Underworld, FSOL, or Orbital as an "older elec" type add, that would be SWEET.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:19 AM
love all the people trying to defend the lineup

get a grip people. maybe in years past people's gripes were unwarranted but this is easily the weakest lineup SO FAR

You saying this is the weakest lineup SO FAR is as stupid as me saying it isn't. I'm sure you really feel that way, but the consensus of the board will say otherwise. I feel for you, though. Who would have made your Coachella experience perfect? Gimme 10 that would have made this the best Coachella ever.

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 08:20 AM
^

i'm 23 and have seen underworld AND public enemy in the last year....

so see man.. next time don't accuse me of just having crappy taste... everybodys situation is different

travolta
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
You saying this is the weakest lineup SO FAR is as stupid as me saying it isn't. I'm sure you really feel that way, but the consensus of the board will say otherwise. I feel for you, though. Who would have made your Coachella experience perfect? Gimme 10 that would have made this the best Coachella ever.

what board are you on?

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
don't drag '06 into this. my favorite year since i started attending in '03.

Apologies. 2006 was better than 2007 and 2008, for sure. Still not as great as '09 IMO.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:29 AM
what board are you on?

The problem here is that EVERYONE is flustered once the lineup comes out. There have been months of guessing, wish-lists, rumors, etc, that by the time the lineup is announced and ___________ isn't on it, everyone acts like Goldenvoice owed them that artist (those artists). Every year, this happens. I was on the old Coachella board and as far back as I can remember (2003, I believe) there have been complaints for about a week after lineup announcement. Then people gradually come around or remain stubborn. Sorry you hate the lineup, but I don't. i wasn't a fan of the past two years, but this one feels special to me.

SecretPrescription
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
i feel like all the rumors that havent happened the past two years came to life this year

and thats a good thing for some, a bad thing for others

braundiggity
01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
not to bring back the same bands, but hopefully something vaguely similar, but newer, in the same vein. i know that the sahara tent isn't finalized, but they glossed over it a ton, and that is where i spent 75% of my time last year. the reason i love coachella, other than the atmosphere and the headliners, is that they have a dedicated "dance" tent that can rival the mainstage if thats your thing, lolla and bonnaroo and some of the other smaller fests dont have that.

If you come for the dedicated dance tent, you're still going to get that, and you're still going to love it. I might never go near it, but the Sahara is a mainstay of Coachella and will be packed and rocking this year. And they've explicitly said that there's much yet to be added in terms of electronic/dance.

CooterLee
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a two day line up dragged out over three days! My Bloody Valentine... Leonard Cohen.... Ariel Pink Haunted Graffitti... Crystal Castles... outside of a handful of acts, not much to be excited about. And Paul McCartney?!?!? Why not add Phil Collins, REO Speedwagon, and Neil Young? Maybe even The Doors, sans Morrison. Those would also all be equally lame.

I'll probably just skip this year and see the few acts I want to in smaller venues.

nothingman00
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
This is a two day line up dragged out over three days! My Bloody Valentine... Leonard Cohen.... Ariel Pink Haunted Graffitti... Crystal Castles... outside of a handful of acts, not much to be excited about. And Paul McCartney?!?!? Why not add Phil Collins, REO Speedwagon, and Neil Young? Maybe even The Doors, sans Morrison. Those would also all be equally lame.

I'll probably just skip this year and see the few acts I want to in smaller venues.

Why the hate for Neil Young? Good god.

Mister DVNO
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm a bit indifferent towards the lineup, but I have a hunch I'll grow to like it so I'm going. I also think GV saved the best bands for last.

....now that the lineup's out, all the time you spent on the boards speculating makes you feel kinda silly, doesn't it?

Jon Blazed
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
You WILL cry like a little girl for Sir Paul McCartney.

dethroned
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
My first reaction was "meh." My inner teenager is happy for Morrissey, The Cure and MBV, but I've seen them many times. There's nothing on the current lineup that makes me stand up and scream HOLY CRAP like in previous years, but I'm looking at it like an incomplete lineup. I'm sure there will be an addition or two that will blow my mind.

mollach
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
so robert plant has spiral fractures on both arms administered by p.t.

that was why the wait.

still gonna be a blast.

DHARMA2112
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
This is a thread I can get behind!

This is how I feel, but will be going all 3 days regardless.

indietron
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I suddenly just got 1000 times more excited now that i bought my tickets :)