PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 25th April 2007....

danno
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
....I arrive in LA, with nowhere to stay. Thinking of having a shindiggle in the town on that fine eve. However, I have no prior experience of LA nightlife and don't particularly want to stray too far from LAX, as this is where we will be leaving from to head to coachella.

Anyone have any recommendations for good alternative bars/ clubs we could hit on a wednesday night?

Also, any cost effective hotel/ motel recommendations in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, Love and Death by Sexy!! x

krunchy
02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Good thread. I think there is going to be a massive influx of people arriving on the 25th. Would be amusing to hit the bar in all our jetlagged goodness for a pre thursday night party time - it will be the only night we have a bed for the weekend - might aswell enjoy it....

There will be about a billion backpacker joints but not near LAX - I don't know too much but I'm pretty sure it will just be overpriced airport hotels around there...

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_dining.html

This is at LAX and bands play sometimes.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 05:44 PM
You can check out Compton.

suprefan
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Or the Watts Towers.....

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hawaiian Gardens sounds so pretty.

napaquetzalli
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
its not

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Ok how bout Stanford and 7th st downtown. Maybe San Jullian and 6th. Lots of tourist stuff there. They could pick up a tent there.

SWEETSHIVERBURN
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
hostels for accomedation..loads OF them in LA area.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
There are plenty of great bars/clubs in LA, but it really depends on where you're staying. Los Angeles is a gigantic -- it can easily take you several hours to drive places -- so you don't want to party too far from your hotel.

You probably don't really want to stay near LAX, unless you're arriving after 8 or 9pm. That area sucks.

I hear that The Culver Hotel in Culver City is quite nice and reasonably priced. It also has quite a bit of movie history, which is fun. And there's a great emerging artsy/alternative scene in Culver City.

You could also look into staying in Venice, which might be a better bet for you, depending on what you mean by "alternative." Or Manhattan Beach.

But really, what's your budget like?

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I lived in Venice for 4 years and its pretty boring at night.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Stay in Hollywood. Motel 6 on Whitley is $65 a night and you can take the metro there from the airport.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Fair enough. I don't really venture west of the 405 with any regularity.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Everything in Venice except for the Townehouse and The Brig close at 7. Theres The Canal Club and Joes but they are pricey. Hollywood is where its at.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM

Fair enough. I don't really venture west of the 405 with any regularity. I do like having dinner at a couple of restaurants on Abbot-Kinney.

But I also don't really understand the appeal of Hollywood apart from the show business angle. I know a lot of tourists stay there, but in my opinion it's one of the less interesting parts of the city.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know why the board posted this twice.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I have lived all over LA and Hollywood by far is my fav. I used to live in the old train station in Venice right behind Abbots Habit. I go to a lot of concerts and Hollywood is where most of the good venues are. I like to walk around and check out the tourists.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I live in Echo Park, and I totally love it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a tourist because it's not really that sort of neighborhood.

I actually didn't even know that LAX was connected to the subway. I thought that only buses went there.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Metro like the above ground train. You gotta take a shuttle to Avaition. I love Echo Park I looked for a place there 4 years ago but I could not find one in my price range. I am a HUGE Dodgers fan so I would love to live there one day.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh, that's cool. I have much to learn about LA public transportation. I used to live in Brooklyn, and it's embarrassing how little I use buses and subways now in comparison.

I'm surprised you had trouble finding a place in Echo Park. I always thought it was cheaper than Hollywood. Except of course if by "in your price range" you really mean "over $5000 per month"...

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Echo Park had just started to get hip then all the hipsters who can't find a place in Silverlake started renting out all the places that were worth a damn. There were places available but they were shitty. Now Hollywood is one of the cheapest places in LA thats not east of downtown.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Or the Valley.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Or Long Beach.

vinylmartyr
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Long Beach is far.

Courtney
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Hahaha. Yes, I wouldn't recommend living in the Valley, if one can help it. Parts of Long Beach are fun, though. I really like going to Acres of Books.

back4more
02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
....I arrive in LA, with nowhere to stay. Thinking of having a shindiggle in the town on that fine eve. However, I have no prior experience of LA nightlife and don't particularly want to stray too far from LAX, as this is where we will be leaving from to head to coachella.

Anyone have any recommendations for good alternative bars/ clubs we could hit on a wednesday night?

Also, any cost effective hotel/ motel recommendations in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, Love and Death by Sexy!! x

There's a good hostel in West Hollywood called the Orbit. Go to www.bananabungalow.com and click on the Hollywood link. I've stayed there a couple of times and am going to stay there for a night at the start of my trip this year. It's within walking distance of Sunset Strip and there are quite few other good clubs and bars in the area. Pick up a free copy of the LA Weekly newspaper when you get there as it has all the details of what club nights are on and what gigs are hapening, etc.

Don't worry about being too far from the airport as everything is spread out in LA. You can get a shuttle bus from the airport to the hostel and back from about US$15-$20 each way.

momof5
02-12-2007, 09:06 AM
We have had guests stay at the Orbit. It is kind of a hostel but you can get private rooms there too. They have cheap food and a shuttle that goes to and from the airport and also to the Sunset strip hot spots (but those are expensive and not really cool)and if you are driving be warned parking is really expensive.Check out the small clubs in Silverlake--the Echo ,Spaceland etc. Also --an independent record shop Sea Level that really supports local music--you can call there and ask who's playing where and Todd gives good advice on whether a cd is good for your tastes.. I would not stay at the airport area.

grain
02-12-2007, 04:28 PM
pick up an LA weekly

danno
02-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

Peace, Love and Death by Sexy!!