PDA

View Full Version : Is Coachella life changing?

radiohead33
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Part of the reason I want to go, is this idea, however infantile or juvenile it sounds, is the idea that going to a festival can change your life. That seeing a band can change your life, that one night or 3 days and nights of music, can alter your worldview. A moment where everything makes sense, where the outside world doesnt exist and its just the music and thousands of your closest friends.

Its not all that crazy, because its happened several times to me, seeing mindblowing life changing live shows, but it seems like with the large amount of bands that attend these shows, the probability of this would be hightenend. I have only attended standard shows, 1 or two opening bands and then the headliner. What appeals to me about festivals and coachella is that there usually is 20 bands worth seeing and many more, who you dont know, but would most likely be worth checking out.

Thoughts?

After attending coachella do you feel different? Changed?

fatedblack
01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I have minor beef. I mean, to say that every moment you live doesn't affect the next is a little off. The expectation of, or hope for, a life changing experience can be limiting too.

That said, I had a bomg-diggity time at RATM [Coachella '07] and would say I have a lasting fondness towards that experience. I don't even like Rage all that much and from my pov they played like a band who hadn't really thrown down on stage for 7 years, the energy on the festival grounds blew me away and I felt hella connected to everyone I grazed arms with or made eye contact with or thought of standing on the other side of that damn barrier down the middle from the stage to sound booth.
Fuck yeah, I'd say I've had a couple of those at Coachz...

Anyone at Konono #1 that year, dancing like there was no tomorrow?

ThunderInTheSky
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah I was at Konono #1 up front and stayed for Jose Gonzalez and smoked a joint.... that was life changing.

z3niMAGiNE
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
My first year definitely was life changing. I found a ton of new bands that I'd never heard of before, saw a handful of bands I'd loved for years, and now have something cool to do every year with my friends. Each time I go, I always return home refreshed and in a better mood. I would say that Coachella will probably change your life.

CalmerThanYou
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
It has changed my life, yes. It has become my litmus test for all things beautiful and amazing.

For this factor alone, it's also a double edged sword (much like seeing Daft Punk was).

You have to categorize it mentally: Coachella and Everything Else. If you don't, nothing will be fun ever again.

faxman75
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes. It is lifechanging. From the first time I stepped onto the grounds I knew I was coming. I went one day in 2005 and the two main bands I wanted to see both disapointed but I fell in love with fest. Last year was the peak. I don't see how it can be topped but it doesn't matter, it's so much fun every year.

woogie846
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I'd say that Coachella gave me the appreciation for live music that I have today.

Mak Attack
01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
It changed me. It's such a unique experience I don't know how it couldn't change you. The rest of the world doesn't exist for three days. The atmosphere is perfect, and everyone there loves it just as much as you do.

You'll never be the same again.

sin213
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
same response as everyone else.

yes it is life changing.

i pull a good handful of new bands from every year i go to that become part of my regular rotation of cds.

plus, the community experience is not to be missed. be sure you camp! ;)

beckylyn
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
it changed my life. my first coachella was in 2007 - my boyfriend and i had heard of coachella, were dying to go, but simply couldn't afford it. on the sunday before coachella started i won tickets on a radio station in phx where we live. we arranged time off with our bosses and all that responsible shit and road tripped it to indio. day one was incredible. i remember feeling the same way i felt when i first visited new york city when i walked through the gates. i had never seen anything like it. i was on sensory overload. and that was only the beginning. music, the tents, the installations, the coachella sky, coachella sunset, the do lab, the people, omg i just can't describe it.

i can't think of a reason i would miss a year. the line up really doesn't even matter - its all about being there. when i have kiddos, i will bring them. i beg friends to spend the $$ for tickets because i sincerely believe in the coachella experience. i can't explain it to you because this will be your first time, but after you go, i hope you will understand. there's something incredible about spending 3 days with people who love music and are there for the love of music. the rest of the world doesn't exist - the center of my universe becomes music, art, people and experiences. for 3 days every year, i am in a place where i am allowed to be ME. not the professional, structured, crappy me i am at home, but the real me ... a hippie girl wandering around barefoot and weaving flowers in my hair, dancing, singing and reveling in the music and art that is coachella. coachella kind of centers me for the year. i find a little more me every year in indio.

so yeah, it changed my life. i don't know that you can expect coachella to change your life though. mostly i think you have to go for the experience and see what happens.

Coachella Bound
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
You bet your left testicle it changed my life!

Its become the one thing i look forward to most every year.

COACHELLA>>>>>>CHRISTMAS>>>>>>BIRTHDAY

CalmerThanYou
01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
COACHELLA > BEING BORN

Donaldj
01-26-2009, 12:45 PM
It is definitely life changing. This will be my fourth Coachella and I'll never miss one as long as it keeps running.

boarderwoozel3
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
You bet your left testicle it changed my life!

Its become the one thing i look forward to most every year.

COACHELLA>>>>>>CHRISTMAS>>>>>>BIRTHDAY

Ditto.

It completely changed the way I view music. You could say it turned music into an obsession.

pocket
01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Part of the reason I want to go, is this idea, however infantile or juvenile it sounds, is the idea that going to a festival can change your life. That seeing a band can change your life, that one night or 3 days and nights of music, can alter your worldview. A moment where everything makes sense, where the outside world doesnt exist and its just the music and thousands of your closest friends.

Its not all that crazy, because its happened several times to me, seeing mindblowing life changing live shows, but it seems like with the large amount of bands that attend these shows, the probability of this would be hightenend. I have only attended standard shows, 1 or two opening bands and then the headliner. What appeals to me about festivals and coachella is that there usually is 20 bands worth seeing and many more, who you dont know, but would most likely be worth checking out.

Thoughts?

it just depends on what you have done in life. if you dont go to many shows, dont travel much, and hang out in your moms basement, yeah its life changing.

for me, no, it hasnt been life changing. i have had enjoyable moments but nothing that shattered my reality there. i guess i am the only one so far that didn't think that it was life changing, but i frequent festivals so i think thats part of it for me.

if you want your life changed, and to be enlightened, go do some acid or mushrooms or peyote, that shit WILL change your life.*

*i dont condone doing drugs but if you want to be enlightened i think these are the way to go

beckylyn
01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
if you want your life changed, and to be enlightened, go do some acid or mushrooms or peyote, that shit WILL change your life.*

*i dont condone doing drugs but if you want to be enlightened i think these are the way to go

coachella changed my life more than 'shrooms ... i'm just sayin'

IfeelINFINITE
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Coachella is this brief moment of connection with thousands of people, and it truly is amazing. Its unexplainable. Everyone is listening to music together, and suffering in 104 degree weather together. Its almost as if everyone becomes one large mass of bliss. Being able to see as many amazing/favorite bands all day, dancing all night and meeting people who are excited as you are is actually life changing. But be warned- Coachella wont change your life if you aren't passionate about the music. But if you are, there are no words to describe the moment you arrive at coachella for your first time. It is such an unforgettable moment. Coachella is my favorite holiday. As soon as it is over, I start recounting to when it starts.

Odin 8
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I can honestly say that it has changed my life, just like everyone else who has given their story already. It's an experience that touches on some many different levels. You have the awesome music selection from bands that you loved before to bands you didnt know existed until you walked by their set. It's always been a very cool and friendly vibe (minus some angst from RATM crowd). Plus the artistic side, seeing the grounds decorated, the cool art work, and knowing you're apart of Coachella.

I knew my first year there that there was something special. Finding new bands to groove to, and some outside my typical genre selection, was the start. The final nail in the coffin was chatting with my friends the last night, passing out left over granola bars to people passing by; we had one girl next to us join us because she was tired of laughing at our stories and jokes by herself in the tent and wanted to hang out, some random drunk dude drinking a 40oz of OE, and an asian dude in a full on winnie-the-pooh costume. Random people, from all walks of life, in different states of mind, enjoying eachothers' company, conversation, and music.

And it's only gotten better year after year.

slurpee
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Coachella is the only reason I wake up in the morning.

lowfront
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Coachella is very life changing......

I think about it more then sex

dank bud ftw
01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
i went to my first coachella last year and it was so life changing. so much good music, good people, etc. its just an awesome experience. i live in texas currently, and will attend every coachella as long as its still running.

CalmerThanYou
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
http://stayingintouch.com.au/bpwjoondalup/docs/Life-changing_Talks.jpg

ALBIEEE
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
yep. went for the first time last year and now i can't see myself ever not going. but it definitely made bumbershoot (seattle music festival) suuuuper lame. or maybe that's just cause keyshia cole played.

TommyboyUNM
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll never forget seeing Rage re-unite at Coachella 07 and all the great friends I have made because of the festival. It is very life changing. And I also got HIV from an British woman at Coachella. Which I'll also never forget.

boarderwoozel3
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
yep. went for the first time last year and now i can't see myself ever not going. but it definitely made bumbershoot (seattle music festival) suuuuper lame. or maybe that's just cause keyshia cole played.

Naw, bumbershoot never could hang with Coachella, not even close. And TI didn't help.

davrone
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Last year's Portishead performance pretty much made my life, so to answer your question, yes, Coachella is life changing.

pocket
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
coachella changed my life more than 'shrooms ... i'm just sayin'

i was going for more the moment of enlightenment type thing. also with peyote its what the indians gave boys to change them into men, do some cactus button and tell me you dont have a moment of enlightenment.

i just dont think, with my life experiences, coachella is life changing. its just another us festival and one that isnt quite as fun as some of the european festivals.

ALBIEEE
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Naw, bumbershoot never could hang with Coachella, not even close. And TI didn't help.

well, 06 & 07 (minus fergie) were kinda legit, but it seems to get shittier and shittier. sad.

shmamber
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh yes, it changed my life so much!

In 2004 I went with a group of friends, including the man I was in love with. We had been dancing around whether we were going to get together and make it work or not, but I already knew that he was the person I wanted to marry. Once out in the desert, we had the most magical time of our lives. By the end of the weekend we had finally become a couple.

We got married in 2006, and we have come to Coachella (sans our other friends) as an anniversary celebration of sorts every year since '04. Coachella is a special place even if something of this magnitude hasn't happened to you here, but there is certainly something sentimental and special for us--and I can't imagine NOT going. We love going down there each year to get sweaty & dirty, eat tons of churros, and listen to some of the best music in the world.

We are also big music people, but not typically good with being proactive about finding new bands, going to shows, knowing about shows etc. Coachella changed all of that for me in particular--I now make a huge effort to listen to a much wider variety of music, to follow music more closely, and have discovered SEVERAL of my now favorite groups from Coachella.

In short, it's awesome, but you need to capture the magic for yourself!

Mariano
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm from Argentina and I hope It's life changing. We don't have this kind of festivals here and interesting artists don't come so often (in the case of indie bands the situation is even worse). I love traveling and the combination of visiting a new place, music and nice people sounds perfect. I heard about Coachella in 2007 and I couldn't believe such a perfect festival could exist, I mean, there were like 40 bands i liked in 3 days !!! 3 f#k%! days !! when I normally get to see 3 or 4 bands each year [If I get lucky].
I really don't know if everyone sees the magnitude of this but I can't describe how much I want to be there.

dear_amanda
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
or maybe that's just cause keyshia cole played.

Oh, that's too funny.

Mariano
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it's as life changing as getting a Nintendo 64 for Christmas :p

Memorial_07
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I was very narrow-minded on music before my first Coachella in '07. And my only reason of going was RATM but I gave in and went all three days. After that weekend, my views and perspectives changed completely so yeah it's life changing

humanoid
01-26-2009, 04:56 PM
the Coachella Festival is life enhancing, but that all gets canceled out once you get on the Coachella message board

Suffacated
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
This will be my 10th Coachella.
From the moment I turned onto Ave. 51 leading into the Polo grounds during the first Coachella in 1999, it was obvious that this was to be unlike any other concert......anywhere. The huge line of cars, the people, the heat and the dust.. This was history in the making....and I was fucking there!

Every year as Coachella comes to a close, we start planning, anticipating, and anxiously waiting for next years show. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't think about Coachella in one way or another.
So is Coachella life changing?
Fuckin A right it is!

NiceArthur32
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
is cancer bad?

mrdude5699
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
07 was my first...Being a huge RAGE fan, I knew that i had to go and a got about 11 people to go with me. We all drove from Texas and had the time of our lives. It was my first music festival, and since then I have gone to Voodoo fest 07, 08, Lallopalooza 08, and Coachella again last year. It basically turned me into a festival whore and I don't mind driving across the country to attend them.

Coachella basically made me understand that whatever I want in life I should go after, no matter what. When I stepped on the campground for the first time, I seriously became a different person. I have become a social butterfly that thrives on meeting new people and experiencing new exciting things every single day. I have had so many profound moments during these festivals in the past two years. While I may not have discovered the meaning of life or anything while attending a festival, standing in the desert listening to amazing music with amazing people feeling amazing vibes has brought me closer to god in those instants then any other time in my life.

Maybe I'm weird, but Coachella breathes life into me and makes me feel alive.

Memorial_07
01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
not weird at all.

I understand every word you said and I'm there with you, buddy

Stefachink
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
It's nice to know that all of you guys out there feel the same way. It's definitely true that you have to experience it for yourself. I feel sort of guilty sometimes telling my friends about it and they just don't understand where I'm coming from. I'm slowly getting a couple of my friends to go though. But anyway, the atmosphere for Coachella is phenomenal. It's probably the most happiest and carefree moment of my life. I used to be a very shy gal who would normally sit in class and exclude myself from everyone because I was too afraid to talk to others and connect. Coachella has made me a more outgoing and acceptable person, and that is definitely a positive. You'll learn at least something from it or perhaps better yourself from some moment of Coachella. Hope you have a blast this year! Peace.

Mariano
01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
This thread made me remind this quotes:

Richard: And me, I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for, 'cause it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're a part of something, and if you find that moment... it lasts forever...

Richard: Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

ALBIEEE
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
the Coachella Festival is life enhancing, but that all gets canceled out once you get on the Coachella message board

word! people are soo hostile on this, what's up with that? i expect a bunch more chill kids with good music taste. not a buncha brats.

Carnie100
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
07 was my first...Being a huge RAGE fan, I knew that i had to go and a got about 11 people to go with me. We all drove from Texas and had the time of our lives. It was my first music festival, and since then I have gone to Voodoo fest 07, 08, Lallopalooza 08, and Coachella again last year. It basically turned me into a festival whore and I don't mind driving across the country to attend them.

Coachella basically made me understand that whatever I want in life I should go after, no matter what. When I stepped on the campground for the first time, I seriously became a different person. I have become a social butterfly that thrives on meeting new people and experiencing new exciting things every single day. I have had so many profound moments during these festivals in the past two years. While I may not have discovered the meaning of life or anything while attending a festival, standing in the desert listening to amazing music with amazing people feeling amazing vibes has brought me closer to god in those instants then any other time in my life.

I really like this. It's become my mantra on how to live life since Coachella.

I felt like a lot of people found it strange that I was willing to devote an entire roadtrip for live music in the desert last year, but it's just because they weren't able to themselves. You just have to learn that you go for whatever you want no matter what people will say. And amen to that right folks?

Carnie100
01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh yes, it changed my life so much!

In 2004 I went with a group of friends, including the man I was in love with. We had been dancing around whether we were going to get together and make it work or not, but I already knew that he was the person I wanted to marry. Once out in the desert, we had the most magical time of our lives. By the end of the weekend we had finally become a couple.

We got married in 2006, and we have come to Coachella (sans our other friends) as an anniversary celebration of sorts every year since '04. Coachella is a special place even if something of this magnitude hasn't happened to you here, but there is certainly something sentimental and special for us--and I can't imagine NOT going. We love going down there each year to get sweaty & dirty, eat tons of churros, and listen to some of the best music in the world.

We are also big music people, but not typically good with being proactive about finding new bands, going to shows, knowing about shows etc. Coachella changed all of that for me in particular--I now make a huge effort to listen to a much wider variety of music, to follow music more closely, and have discovered SEVERAL of my now favorite groups from Coachella.

In short, it's awesome, but you need to capture the magic for yourself!

That's just about the sweetest story I've ever heard. Cheers to you and your spouse.

JoshTheBoyd
01-26-2009, 09:35 PM
my life is separated into two periods. pre daft punk 06 and post daft punk 06.

never ever thought electronic music could do anything like that

SP The Ghost
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Absolutely. When you road trip from Seattle and go balls to the wall with two complete strangers, it's a pretty life changing experience.

humanoid
01-26-2009, 09:59 PM
word! people are soo hostile on this, what's up with that? i expect a bunch more chill kids with good music taste. not a buncha brats.

it's kinda weird, isn't it?

I've been to every Coachella, and for the most part, everyone is peaceful, fun and friendly, but then a bunch of people get home, behind their keyboards and turn into assholes..

a strange phenomenon

rage patton
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I dont think I will ever be able to go a year without Coachella. As soon as its over, I am looking forward to next year. To me, it truly was, and IS, life changing.

fishboy
01-26-2009, 11:27 PM

never ever thought electronic music could do anything like that

I'd been fortunate enough to see Daft Punk before their Coachella appearance, and it still blew my mind. Even better was watching the reactions of people who had never seen or even heard anything like that... I think a lot of lives were changed that night.

fatkidmon68
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
its awsome I have taken five friends to coachella and this year we are going 15 strong and growing. I cant wait for this year

skavron
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Same here, this will be my third and consecutive year attending the fest. "Festival whore" hahaha... Amen!

cooperb1
01-27-2009, 12:42 AM
last yr was my first coachella i whent in 07 only for sundy but coachella has changed me for life in lots of ways it has brodened my music presective alot but when i was there i felt that the evryone was so chill i was wecomed to camp with homeaide brownies by a group of pople camping nexst to me and we chated a bit i also love the train i met lots of pople on there and ended up camping with 4 of 5 of them i was also just leving realty for 3 days was grate i,ll be back this yr and hope to meet many of you on this board there .

Boourns
01-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Thoughts?

This. It's almost like you get to create your own reality, a fun one at that, for one weekend a year.

I was considering skipping a day or two (or three if a Portishead LA show had been added) a day, but never again. No way, I'm there. I've always had a lack of faith in people and things, but now I have faith in this. Sell me a ticket right now without a lineup and I'll buy it. I still need to see it, though, because not knowing things like that always drives me nuts. Always been plagued by obsessive thoughts and crippling compulsions and this is just another one.

I came for Radiohead in 2004, and made some stupid mistakes and was hot and miserable all weekend but my mind was so blown away by the enormity and beauty of the event that I had to come back the following year. And I've been back ever since. What sealed it for me was seeing the Pixies reunion performance right in front of me, with the sun setting to my left and the moon rising to my right under that big, clear desert sky.

JSam67
01-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Totally life-changing.

CurableOkie
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Answer: Yes

If by life-changing you mean you leave and go on to become one of the biggest music fans you can possibly be, choosing to return to as many festivals and go to even more concerts & shows in your future.

Radiohead 2004 was all it took for my life to be changed.

PlayaDelWes
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes, and reading this thread actually brings tears to my eyes. I sent the thread to many friends and told them to read the entire thing. Coachella sinks into the Heart. It is sensory overload. It's something that you can not explain; only share the experience.

Kiefer
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I would agree with most of what everyone here is saying. I went for 01,03,04,06,07 and I can definitely sense a different vibe over time. Of course, not always for the better. The lineups are consistently great, but the past two years just felt really different. I actually was afraid for my life when trying to leave after Bjork (07), not to mention the crowd felt very '19 year old angst/ICP fanboy' during RATM. I will say the environment is perfect, I would still go every year if I had the money, but sometimes life gets in the way and you can't do it. I recommend going at least once.

Ravingmad
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
It's funny, I was just talking to someone who is thinking of going for the first time this year, and I was saying "It's a cliche, but you don't come out quite the same person as you go in. Everyone who has gone has a little of piece of themselves still living out there on the polo field..."

dingo
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Being in the middle of the crowd for Daft Punk at Chella a few years back was pretty life altering for me.

algunz
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
This thread made me remind this quotes:

Richard: And me, I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for, 'cause it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're a part of something, and if you find that moment... it lasts forever...

Richard: Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

These quotes are from The Beach, right?

Coachella can be life changing, but it also can seem fleeting. Once you get thrown back into the real world, Coachella can seem so far away.

gooftroop
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
YES

The only bad thing about Coach is what it does to your WALLET. 1000% worth it though, $600 or so isn't even comparable to the memories and the experience. Go with friends or someone you love if you can, but even by yourself you would be sure to have a blast.

zipperhead
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Yup, it's life changing. Now I fly to Palm Springs every year. Never used to.

crazzz2007
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
COACHELLA > BEING BORN

no, my friend.

coachella = being born

PrettyRagdoll
01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
COACHELLA > BEING BORN

Going to Coachella IS the very definition of being Born Again. It's an experience that stays with you forever. It's three days in the desert, filled with music and thousands of other people that love music just as much as you do. And the experience is only amplified if you camp. Because then, the Coachella experience starts on Thursday and ends on Monday. Seriously, there's nothing like it.

Mariano
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
These quotes are from The Beach, right?

Coachella can be life changing, but it also can seem fleeting. Once you get thrown back into the real world, Coachella can seem so far away.

Yes :thu

oOMegzOo
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with those that said it is something you can't explain it has to be experienced. My brother and a few close friends have been going every year since '04 and repeatedly tried to get me to go. I hate heat so I was so against it for so long but I finally gave in last year and it was indescribable. I can't see myself not going it is the one thing I look forward to now. It is my vacation my one time a year to get away because when you are on that polo field the rest of the world doesn't exist. It's just you, the music, and thousands of like minded free spirits.

K sorry if that was cheesy lol.

R41N570RM
01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
because when you are on that polo field the rest of the world doesn't exist. It's just you, the music, and thousands of like minded free spirits.

those were my exact words after coming back the first time.

rideincircles
01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Yup, it changes your perspective of what a festival is. Experiencing it is completely different than watching movies, looking at photos or talking about it with friends. That will get you prepared, but just wait til you get to camp and here something like Bjork doing a soundcheck. Then it kicks in. Bonnaroo will also change your perspective since its essentially a musical camping city. Austin City Limits is cool but not nearly as much of an experience like Coachella, unless you see a couple really good bands like Bjork then Muse the next day. Last year I heard ACL kinda sucked.

andromedarkly
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Yep...it is life changing...more so if you camp in the grounds for 4 nights...that was the killer experience for me last year...

My first year I went for Madonna, cheesy yeah, but what the hell...but I will never forget turning that corner and seeing all that green grass spread out everywhere, and the mountains off in the distance...

For me, it's not even about the music that much...sure, tons of it, but tons of cool people too...the vibe is out of this world...

I got a German friend who comes over every year now, he's totally hooked like I am...and that says a lot considering there are some great fests over there in Europe...

So yeah...life changing...I want it every year...

Ha.SK
01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
coachella wasnt life changing since i wasnt sober so i dont remember every detail. you do although get caught up in the atmosphere of everything and everyone around you that it feels your some place far far away.

maybe i would have felt different if i were camping for the 3 days.

Meadowsmeister
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
i flew from england for the 07 show and have since moved to LA just to be closer to indio =)

skavron
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
i flew from england for the 07 show and have since moved to LA just to be closer to indio =)

i wanna think u're kidding... right? aren't you?? hahaha....... geeez!!

Meadowsmeister
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
lol, i didnt move for coachella, but i did move, yes.

AbundantChoice
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Coachella is easily as important as Christmas each year for me, and i'd probably give up every other holiday *combined* each year (other than Christmas) to do Coachella each year. It's pretty special.

What also helps for me is I started going with a bunch of friends back in 2002 when I was doing my PhD up in San Francisco. Now we've all graduated and gotten jobs and whatnot and moved all over the place. But we all still come to the desert every year to go to Coachella. We rent a decent house, with a pool and kitchen and whatnot, and it's fantastic. So instead of each of trying to figure out when and how we're going to visit Person X in Toronto and Person Y in Boston (i.e. me!) and Person Z in Atlanta, we just all get together at Coachella each year and stay connected that way.

amdux
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Coachella =

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/penehoff/AnimatedCalvinAndHobbes.gif

fakeplastique
01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
yes.

thedevious
01-29-2009, 01:15 AM

You speak for so many of us.

Even though I had attended many festivals from Lollapalooza 91 on, Coachella 99 made them all pale in comparison.

And DP at Coachella 06 quickened me, gave me a renewed vigor for life and music that I have yet to lose to this day.

Yes Coachella is life changing.

Smokenut
01-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Yep...it is life changing...more so if you camp in the grounds for 4 nights...that was the killer experience for me last year...

My first year I went for Madonna, cheesy yeah, but what the hell...but I will never forget turning that corner and seeing all that green grass spread out everywhere, and the mountains off in the distance...

For me, it's not even about the music that much...sure, tons of it, but tons of cool people too...the vibe is out of this world...

I got a German friend who comes over every year now, he's totally hooked like I am...and that says a lot considering there are some great fests over there in Europe...

So yeah...life changing...I want it every year...

its one of the few times u can hang out with whomever u want and do practically anything

coachella is a jungle gym for everyone not just kids and adults but EVERYONE

JClemy
01-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Coachella definitely changed my life. Every year at this time I know I'm drawn to the board and the website. I'm so sad I'm missing it this year but even without a lineup I thought about buying tickets to LA and I'm still thinking about it. I would pay the money to fly the 10 hours to LA but I'm not planning on going home until later. I don't think the lineup even matters. I would rather not know any artists and find some amazing new ones. If not for Coachella I wouldn't have just been walking down a Japanese street listening to Gogol Bordello. The many road trips down with my now fiance from Canada have only helped our relationship and I think Coachella is the main reason we packed up and came here to Japan. It's ironic that the festival that made us love travelling even more caused us to travel and miss a year. We actually planned our wedding next year around Coachella. Instead of a honeymoon we're going to Coachella the month before we get married! :)

fiopadp7791
01-29-2009, 02:28 AM
I think it's life changing from 2 perspectives. Ever since I attended my first one in '06, I'm infatuated by it. I have other interests, but I find ways to always think and talk about this fest with others. Good past experiences, artists/groups I listen to and see live, and think if they'll be playing there ever lol, etc. etc. And just the message board itself as well. Leading up to the fest, after the fest, when there's 9 months until the next one lol...

Also, it makes you realize that this festival (and subsequently others too) is worth the risk of dropping a bunch of money and traveling across the country to see. In '06 none of my friends were willing to. I'm from Minneapolis, and had to find a friend from Houston, TX to go with. We had an awesome time.

Even if you don't find the it "life-changing", it's a good excuse to see some damn good live music, and to get away for the weekend. And if you live in a place like me where it's still damn cold in April, it's nice to basque in that Cali sun.

One other remark- When you mention there's usually only about 20 bands worth seeing, and the others you don't know about. That's the case for mostly everyone. Goldvenvoice does a really good job of not booking many duds. They find a lot of talent... just be willing to take the chance to listen and discover them. You won't be disappointed with most. And even if you don't like a certain group or artist playing, there's usually a few others playing at different stages or tents in the same timeslot. And if you're really not sure, hit the dance tent.

mattpach
01-29-2009, 02:54 AM
no, my friend.

coachella = being born

QFT

Coachella is life changing. Its one of the most amazing things I've experienced. Its what I look forward to now all year round, from the time I leave the polo fields to the moment I will step back onto them.

Coachellagirl
01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
You bet your ass its life changing. The heat alone will melt your brain alittle.

quicksand
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
No. Not this shit again. Radiohead33 is going to come on here and ask a shit load of stupid questions. This would not be the first, second, or third time he's done this. Please ban him now before this goes too far.

Memorial_07
01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
ban every idiot until after the lineup comes out

indietron
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Every year, right when i walk in the gates, I give Coachella a hug. I lie face down on the ground... And i do it right before I exit on Sunday. We have a very steady relationship.

=)

Stefachink
01-30-2009, 12:23 AM
How romantic.

fiopadp7791
01-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Every year, right when i walk in the gates, I give Coachella a hug. I lie face down on the ground... And i do it right before I exit on Sunday. We have a very steady relationship.

=)

lol you're not alone... I went in '06, but unfortunately missed ;07. When I came back on Friday of '08, I got on my knees and kissed the ground.

Californicator
01-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Every year at Coachella, usually at some point in the night, I realize that I am at the greatest party in the world and that I am extremely lucky. There is no place in the universe I would rather be. If it came down to A) a night at Coachella versus B) a night with Jessica Alba, I'd choose Coachella.

If Chuck Norris threw a party, it would be called Coachella.

elChurro
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
life changing depends on what drugs you decide to take and if its a good or bad trip.

jnewell7
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
its the best weekend of your life and you get to repeat it every year. you dont have to be on drugs but they sure do make one hell of an experience. its all about the artist and the crowd and the energy!!!

matsuolost
01-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Thoughts?

daft punk at coachella changed my life

magenta
01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm addicted to the vibe.

BrettShipes
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Coachella is life changing if you let it sink into the depths of your soul for those 3 magical days. But uh... if you don't... then it's a concert in the heat.

thewindowliquor
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't know that I would say that Coachella, in and of itself, is life changing. Coachella is amazing, and every time I've gone, I've met amazing people, seen incredible works of art, and had a wonderful time.

That having been said....

Front Row + Princewerkhead + Drugs from Randy = Life Changing

moomoo
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I went for one day in 08, sober, and blind in one eye and it changed me ever since.

TheGlassPrison
01-31-2009, 07:39 AM
YEAH IT CHANGES YOU, THE BIGGEST REGRET OF MY LIFE WAS HAVING THE CHANCE TO SEE DAFT PUNK AND NOT GOING

FUCK

Amneeziac
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, it can.

It's just that simple. But don't sit around waiting for it to change your life. Just have a good time, and it will.

oasis4life2002
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
it'll give u something to remember for years and years. And it's always cool when ur somewhere and somebody brings up that there thinking about going and u can always tell them about your experience. Best American Festival out there.

Mockingbird73
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
No. It's just a music festival. A good one, but really, just a music festival.

World travel and Burning Man were life changing. I imagine having kids would be life changing, not that I want that sort of change in my life.

Havocquarm
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I kind of agree with it just being a kickass musical festival mentality. I think the life changing aspect could be from the journey as a whole. At least in my experiences.

TheGuvna
02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
daft punk at coachella changed my life

AMEN to that.

tigermilkboy
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I guess if you look back on a long life and your defining moment is seeing such and such a band play coachella, then you are saying the defining moment of your life is you were a spectator! I have seen some great bands and performances but none of them come close to back-packing through India for 3 months all the way to the Himlayas into Nepal and climbing to base camp Everest. Trust me the birth of your first child will be infinitely more memorable and frightening than any music festival.
But a music festival can inspire to make life-changing decisions. I went to Glastonbury a decade ago, came home, felt empty and decided to take a trip to Egypt. This led me to quit my mundane job and travel, complete my doctorate.

KatieLyn
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I was 13 my first Coachella, and it was my first concert in general. Definitely changed my life.

BrickTop24
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
well what can i say that hasnt already been said? my first coachella was 06 (the last year it was two days) and i havent had the same experience at any other show like this. its the music, the people, everything. every year has gotten better and better since then and i cant wait till April.

AlexBlewHimB4U
02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Hmmm is Coachella life changing ??

Well, my first Coachella was 2007 and this will be my third year. Never before 2007 had I been in such a beautiful place with such beautiful people who all feel what I feel when they are watching live music. It's the only place in the world where you can be going crazy in the Gogol Bordello pit, starting gagging from dehydration, barely eeck out the word "water" and three strangers turn around to give you some, make sure you are all better and then go right back to dancing with you. It is a beautiful experience but only if you embrace it. If you embrace Coachella, it will embrace you and if you are like me, you will not let go!

cr8vbeats
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
coachella has changed my life since the first show i attended with rage and tool. i've gone every year but 2 (damn military). Some of my friends that i beg to go still don't know why this is my annual vacation solo or not, life changing experience check, will they ever understand, nope!

bruceman524
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
im going for the first time this year. all three days and camping. it should be a wonderful life changing experience.

goldfromla
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
YES

Fourthisto
02-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Another vote for the "Hell Yeah" column. I'd never gone to any out-of-state music festival before in my life, and being in Ohio the ones in-state aren't exactly awesome. ;)

So I took the plunge in 2004 and had such an amazing time that I have since become a traveling-to-see live music junkie. I've gone to every Coachella since then and will until they put me in the ground.

Its life changing in that it makes you appreciate live music (and being on a grassy oasis in the desert) on a whole new level.

But watch out for when someone makes a crime. That can be BAD NEWS.

hive hearted
02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
went to the first coachella in 1999.
it was a big transition time for me in
my life. and going that year changed blew
open my whole world view.
i've had dreams when everything felt
right, and i lived that dream for the first
time at coachella 1999.

the acid helped too though.

Tijuana
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Coachella is not life changing. It's a great experience and you can have lots of fun. But life changing?... No way. And if you say it is... then YOUR LIFE SUCKS. LOL.

Munneh
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes. My first Coachella changed the way I look at the world. Going to festivals each year makes me a happier person in general. Seeing Arcade Fire for the first time, in '07, at sunset, was a religious experience. I felt like I was on x but I was completely sober. That was one of the best nights of my life.

bleep
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
is Coachella life changing? no. things like a parent dying or giving birth is what's life changing. but, coachella is hell of a lot funner.

NightGoat
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I think any situation, no matter how dull or ordinary, can have the potential to be life changing. So I'm saying yes, Coachella has the potential to change lives, but not necessarily more so than anything else.

frozen pilgrim
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
if it's not life changing, you're not doing it right.

EpicFaceMelt
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I did it right and it wasn't "life changing." It was just a really good time. Don't act like it's something magical when it's just a good music festival.

frozen pilgrim
02-24-2009, 06:01 PM
if it's not life changing, you're not doing it right.

I repeat

EpicFaceMelt
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
So then how do you define life changing?

frozen pilgrim
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
when you feel it, you know.
but you haven't done it right, so you haven't felt it.

people who have felt it, know.

frozen pilgrim
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm honestly only about 10% being a dick here. I seriously promise you, if you do coachella right, it will change your life, you'll feel it.

EpicFaceMelt
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm honestly only about 10% being a dick here.

... and the other 90% of you is being a moron.

frozen pilgrim
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
no reason to be insulting. I know it's kind of the way around here, but I've been pretty careful to be clear that I'm not just being argumentative. I have no reason to either lie to you or fight with you about this.
like I said, man. if you do it right, it's life changing.

show up early on thursday with the right stuff and an open mind, and totally give yourself over to the event. just let whatever happens happen. follow your ears and your heart for every single minute. just BE, the whole time.
if it doesn't change your life, it's because you're holding some part of yourself back.

CMRNDRGN
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
it's because you're holding some part of yourself back.

WORD

zajaa
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
ONLY IF YOU CAMP

BrickTop24
02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
what can i say that hasnt already been said? since my first year in 06, ive become addicted and plan to keep going every year for as long as i can.

rcarter1986
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
YES!!!!! Coachella has so many people coming simply for the love of music. Both musicians and fans. People get a long so well in an almost hippy like enviornment.

To answer you're question, coachella was life changing for me or at least had a huge impact. My favorite memories are from my first coachella.

RATM didn't play well in 2007 but they are still my fav band besides junior boys and the comradery of everyone there makes you feel so at home.

If you like music more than most people, or want to meet people who do, ....

GO TO COACHELLA. It is well worth it.

Have fun and don't stress about seeing every band, and always try something new.

Have fun!!

darthlaker
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Last year I took 4 Coachella virgins and I did tell them that Coachella would change their lives before they entered the desert oasis and they all reminded me of that the other day that it did. It does something to the soul. I've been hooked since I first attanded in 1999 and I have gone every year since. So yeah. It is life changing!

Tijuana
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
^^^
ALL LOSERS. Life changing?

EpicFaceMelt
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Tijuana is life changing.

mattpach
02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Tijuana is life changing.
QFT
haha

frozen pilgrim
02-25-2009, 10:44 PM
^^^

you're not doing it right. not sayin you're not having a good time, but yeah. not doing it right.

zajaa
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
^^^

there's always that guy

Tijuana
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, the guy that laughs at drugged out people who think that a concert is life changing. It's a fucking great time... but if you think it's life changing... come on, it's just a fucking awesome concert, that's it.

influence
04-08-2009, 12:11 AM
It's just a concert.

Popcynical
04-09-2009, 02:05 PM
maybe if you knock someone up.. or get vd.

artisticcreator
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I went to the first Coachella in 99 and then to Amsterdam 6 months later! I have been a changed person since then. I appreciate every moment in this life. I go to every Coachella I can and spend my vacations back in Amsterdam. I've always loved music, but never have I enjoy an event or show as much as Coachella. It is a music Utopia that I thrive on and appreciate greatly! Thanks, Goldenvoice. Thanks Paul and Bill

greghead
04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
YES, INDEED IT IS LIFECHANGING. READ ABOUT MY CHANGE HERE...

http://www.helloooooo.com/2009/04/14/the-ten-coachella-commandments/

Stop promoting your shitty bro-blog. Again, get killed.

sfx monger
04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
If you camp it can be.

Its not life changing to the point where you'll be a different person. But you'll notice your taste in music will expand and you'll want to dig deeper to find new music. Also you'll be more open-minded about shit, and become less of a hater, and more accepting of "weird" people.

Coachella reminds you how fun life can be.

Creeper
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
It's just a concert.

HAHA if it was only that simple...

Stefachink
04-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Seriously! Some people just don't know how big of a deal Coachella really is.

Tijuana
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Seriously! Some people just don't know how big of a deal Coachella really is.

Or how much big of a deal people make it out to be.

Stefachink
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Lol.

bakersfield
04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I am 42 & music has been a huge part of my life as far back as I can remember.
I have seen countless amazing shows....
But Coachella is huge for me. This is my 3rd year with my oldest son (he is 14 next month). I think 30 years from now, when I look back at life & those special bonding moments with family. These special times I have spent with Dylan at Coachella will be right up there near the top.
He passionately shares similar taste as mine in music.
What fun to discover new bands together + he gets to see bands with me that I first saw 25 years ago (X, The Cure, etc.)!
This is PRICELESS, and yes, life changing!

manila
04-18-2009, 11:28 AM
My first time no. But after seeing Sir Paul McCartney last night........... a most emphatic yes

elbrycen
04-20-2009, 11:12 PM
this was my first coachella, and in the campground i met so many people who were so much different from anyone i know... i would say my worldview has been severely impacted and will be for the rest of my life. nor will i ever miss another coachella.

R41N570RM
04-20-2009, 11:44 PM
without a doubt

anonimouse
04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
it can be but not for everyone

for me? absolutely :)

Derek179
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
coachella changes your life or you don't go backl. It's more than just the music, it's everything. I camp and I have never been around a more giving and caring crowd. I wish coachella were life.. I don't think it ever will be, but after attending my first coachella everything was different. And I'm glad. You feel silly at first, but when you realize how many people will say the same thing, you just feel awesome!!! It is definitely life changing.

Lynn163
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I am 42 & music has been a huge part of my life as far back as I can remember.
I have seen countless amazing shows....
But Coachella is huge for me. This is my 3rd year with my oldest son (he is 14 next month). I think 30 years from now, when I look back at life & those special bonding moments with family. These special times I have spent with Dylan at Coachella will be right up there near the top.
He passionately shares similar taste as mine in music.
What fun to discover new bands together + he gets to see bands with me that I first saw 25 years ago (X, The Cure, etc.)!
This is PRICELESS, and yes, life changing!

My husband and I feel the same! This was our second music festival with our 16 year old son - ACL being the first last Sept. and our first Coachella - and it was wonderful to share my favorite bands - X, Weller, Aggrolites, to name a few - and for him to introduce us to his favorites. The wonderful thing is here was this 16 year old that walked away from the festival thinking Leonard Cohen was the man!

I would say the 45 minutes we spent watching Amanda Palmer was something that will always stay with us! Life changing in the best possible way!

Marnie
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
No doubt, Def life changing!!!! To me its so much more than just a music & arts festival. Every year I get the post Coachella blues & miss my caochella family when its all over. Already started my countdown for next year.

coachellaforever09
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
This was my first year at Coachella.

there were so many great bands that I was dying to see--and i'm sure I dont have to explain to you guys the magic of being surrounded by that much music, and soul.

On sunday our group won Carpoolchella! We recieved VIP wristbands and sidestage access all day. Getting to meet all of the bands, and hang out with Keith Murray (We Are Scientists lead singer) was mindblowing. W.A.S. is one of my favourite bands, and when I ran into keith with a friend we hung out with him for almost an hour...

now I find myself at home--brutally depressed, and missing hanging out with him. lol. i cant even look at the picutres and videos of us or I start to cry. We fuckin poured booze to honour my dead grandma.

As a coachella newbie, this was a mindblowing experience.

what do I do now...

trancehiphop
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
It changed my life.

P.S. See you next year. P.A.W.

halleysfifth
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Were you guys the ones in the blue SUV? the three or four girls and one guy (I believe) showing up in the early afternoon? My ex and I pulled up right next that group and thoroughly regretted not painting carpoolchella on our car that year.....so close so close...

Peace Frog
04-23-2009, 01:42 AM
i had never heard of coachella before i went. i'm so glad my friend convinced me to go. i did shrooms and listened to dj tiesto, rocking out in complete freedom while watching lightning shoot out of the ground...one of the greatest days of my life. coachella has been a highlight of every year since then, and i hope the tradition lasts the rest of my life. this year, even though i went sober, was quite refreshing. i had been in kind of a slump with school and all that but now i feel i can get back to work with a satiated soul.

PlayaDelWes
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Well deserved bump.

getbetter
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
agree. Yes, Coachella is a life changing experience

meaganpeach
01-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I've lived down the street from the polo fields my entire life, and i remember in middle school seeing the beams in the sky from my house and i could hear the music but i didn't really realize what it was, i mean i KNEW it was a concert but i had no idea and then once i got into highschool, i finally got to experience coachella and i was like really!? this has been in my backyard the entire time and i NEVER knew, wtf!? needless to say, i have gone every year since and YES it has changed my life, and every year at the time i get the jitters and excitement! and when i see the beams go up 2 days before is when i really get antsy!!!

psycobetabuckdown
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Does Coachella make your life change yearly or just the first time? For me just the first time but the change has been established and continues. That would be intense for my life to change every April.

GratefulPeaceFrog
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes I do think is a life changing. it kinda changed the way i looked at things!I lived in coachella pretty much all my life and this is the best thing out here even doh i just herd of coachella in 07' wtf!! i know!!! ill be going to coachella for the rest of my life!!! good vibes. good music! and the people makes it even better except for wizard man!

THANK YOU GOD, for coachella.
p.s we also got the best doja(herb) out here!

im_a_starfish
01-24-2010, 10:17 PM
hell yes
its def part of my life now
FOH EH VAH

anger_is_a_gift
01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Fuck yeah! My first year was 05 and I will never ever miss another Coachella

Rumforever
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Hell yea it does! I remember walking in last year and gasping like Id just been kicked in the stomach, looking at the main stage and the bamboo skyscraper. Im going to come back every year. even if I die.

NickyRudy
01-31-2010, 03:15 AM
If you have the right experience and if it's at a certain point in your life...then yes, yes it is life changing.

chatoboy303
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
High Five!!! 2 be with thousands of other peeps that have the same interests u do is something I cannot explain but hope u can experience fo yo self! Good Times/Good Vibes! I just hope no Wizards get zapped this year :( talk about a bad trip! can wait 956/303 gonna be reppin hard!!!

It changed me. It's such a unique experience I don't know how it couldn't change you. The rest of the world doesn't exist for three days. The atmosphere is perfect, and everyone there loves it just as much as you do.

You'll never be the same again.

redeye6
02-14-2010, 04:16 AM
yes it was really..every time i go and come with a total fresh mind.it really helps me.

aguila26
02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes.

IDCrisis
02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd say an ID Crisis would be considered a symptom of a life changing experience... so yeah, most definitely.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
yes, i've become an obsessed waste that my friends and loved ones no longer understand

Gribbz
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
yes, i've become an obsessed waste that my friends and loved ones no longer understand

A whole lot of this.

juloxx
02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Coachella absoloutley is life changing. All the stress and bullshit is put aside for 3 days. Its its not just the stress in you, seeing everyone there for a good time really puts out some crazy vibe... in a good way though.

Even the Coachella I got arrested at was a fantastic experience, though getting arrested part certainly was not the highlight.

IDCrisis
02-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I'd like to think my friends and loved ones are the ones fucked up though. They walk around rolling their eyes, and I'm just smiling. If they understood, they'd be smiling too.

SydChaplin25
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM
It rejuvenates my mind, body, and soul every year...

involvelemons
02-14-2010, 07:03 PM
When I was a kid I looked forward to Magic Mountain once a year.
This has kinda become that for me as an adult.
But I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
I love crowds, I love the heat, and I love paying $10 for county fair food 3x a day (although the food deserves significantly more credit than people give it).
So, you know, if that's your thing (and you love the current mainstream-indie-rock zeitgeist), then fuckin' bring it on.

See you in the weirdo-dance-pit at Public Image Limited. I'll be the sweaty guy holding an Awesome Blossom.

involvelemons
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Awwww ouch
And . . . LOL

SoundShaman
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd like to think my friends and loved ones are the ones fucked up though. They walk around rolling their eyes, and I'm just smiling. If they understood, they'd be smiling too.

I've been a lurker around these parts for some time now. . . I found this quote so beautiful that I had to create an account and tell you how much i appreciate what you've said! :thu

It's good not to feel alone

saulgood
02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I should not have looked at this thread so early before popping my Coachella cherry. This thread has confirmed my suspicions that Coachella is where I truly belong. I love all music, certain drugs, kooks, camaraderie, and art. I become an extrovert at every concert I go to, so if you get a big (non-threatening) hug from some kid with a permanent grin, it's probably me. I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson

Big B
03-01-2010, 08:00 AM
The simplist way to describe my feelings: once I went for the firsttime, I could never miss another Coachella.

chaynes
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
yes it changes your life

you wind up having to go every year forever and wasting most of january and february on the forums waiting for the lineup and then chatting about it.....

thom cobain
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
it changed mine, several times.

Khyber
03-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Changed my life, went from a concert person to a festival person, more to that than just that though, haha

redthreat
03-05-2010, 08:09 AM
for sure.

coachella is the payoff for all of life's bullshit each year.

Chelaw
03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
the first time I went was in 2004 and I was 19. I had never been to california before and never been to a multi-day festival before. I was completely blown away. Yes changed. I remember laying on the grass listening to Air and wishing I never had to leave. I wanted to be in that mental state forever.

Glamr0ck
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
My best experience was in the Do Lab dome in 2006 seeing Lucent Dossier perform... changed my life forever. Inspired me to follow my dreams, I am now a fashion designer. I see their shows every year as they are so cutting edge with style, color palette... but more the anything they remain the most 'inspiring' thing on the field each year......

sushibandita
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Coachella has not only changed my life but my friends lives as well. It has created an incredible bond and is something we talk about all year. The memories and experiences are unlike any other. I love the sense of community, I have never been to a concert where everyone is so nice to one another. Coachella has become not just a festival but a mind set.

sushibandita
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
ONLY IF YOU CAMP
I would have to disagree, I have camped two years and rented a house 2 years. The experiences are different but I wouldn't say that camping is what gives this "life changing" experience. If you have a small group then camping works, but if you have a big group going there is nothing better than rolling out of bed, jumping in the pool, and never having to use the campground porter potties! Don't get me wrong partying at the campground on thursday is awesome, until the sun wakes you up at 7am with is unrelenting heat. No matter where you stay you will somehow be changed by this experience.

thepoetblue
03-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Agree about Lucent with one caveat - last year they did the same show as the year before and I did not approve. I think it was lazy. They will hopefully bring some new shit this year. Went to Lucent Lamour and they're looking good so I'm optimistic.

ajax4747
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Definitely. I always liked music in a passive way, but since have felt like I'm on a musical safari finding new bands and artist, and even picked up the guitar. I know for a fact its because of Coachella...I'm hooked.

Justin170
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
YES

nathanzuk
03-24-2010, 07:16 PM
If you want a truly life-changing festival, go to Shambhala in BC

titing
03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
its a lot of fantastic while i read about this site its good and thanks..