PDA

View Full Version : Conor Oberst Looks Like He'll Be There

Stickjohn
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I saw Conor in October at 1st Ave in Mpls with the Mystic Vally Band (that's how show was billed) and it was great. Far better than I was expecting frankly. He's a great songwriter but it was the cover of Kodachrome that blew me away ...

starrdogg
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
So I know the lineup's coming out any minute now and all of this speculation can end, but Conor Oberst just announced the following tour dates in April:

Omaha, NE Slowdown (April 9)
Denver, CO The Ogden Theater (10)
Aspen, CO Belly Up (11)
El Paso, TX Barnett Harley Davidson (12)
Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theater (13)
Tempe, AZ Marquee Theater (14)

That looks like it's leading up to a Coachella performance to me.

matsuolost
yup

hotspurhawk
hopefully, i missed him when he was in LA

paulb
oh god...

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
BAHAHAH YES!!! I AM SO STOKED.. this better be true, or ill have your balls

Mr.Nipples
lets hope not

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
is this connor or bright eyes?

Cpt. Funkaho
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
meh.

hotspurhawk
bright eyes don't exist no mo

starrdogg
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band according to NME (http://www.nme.com/news/bright-eyes/42316)

humanoid
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
is this connor or bright eyes?

probably Conor...I'd be down for Bright Eyes, but I'm bored by his solo album

Boourns
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Emo

mattpach
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Fuck

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
emo? the majority of his albums nowadays are country. He plays folk music, and he's a poet, kinda like Bob Dylan.

Just because of his voice, and they way he dresses and what not hes considered emo.
Look at Damien Rice and bands like Modest Mouse or Radiohead. They're lyrics are much more depressing, and about death or killing yourself, yet they are not considered emo.

So with no disrespect, honestly, just please shut the fuck up. Emo is one of the stupidest fucking terms I have ever heard, and people use it cause they can't think of anything else clever or are just trying to be an asshole.

Anyways... I don't think Bright Eyes are over.. they are working on a new album now.. apparently.

Boourns
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Dude had myspace hair. Just sayin

shotglass75
sometimes i like to see that shitty artists like this are on the lineup. it makes me less concerned about conflicts.

HandBanana
Someone PM the crying chick from the documentary!

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
01-26-2009, 12:20 PM

hahahhaha fair enough.

humanoid
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM

plenty of talented artists are goofy looking

I never liked him for the way he looked either way, but think that Every Day & Every Night, Fever & Mirrors and Lifted are great albums

he had a little of the angsty teenage emo thing going on, but there are some great songs in that era of his in my opinion

I'm not that impressed by the newer country styling though

ficklecycle
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
plenty of talented artists are goofy looking

I never liked him for the way he looked either way, but think that Every Day & Every Night, Fever & Mirrors and Lifted are great albums

Co-sign. I mean, Thom has a fucking lazy eye for crying out loud.

davrone
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Please God no.

woogie846
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Maybe he'll play his M. Ward and Jim James.

miSTEVEious
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
god i hate bright eyes. and therefore by association, conor oberst

Boourns
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Co-sign. I mean, Thom has a fucking lazy eye for crying out loud.

Thom can't help it.

But on a serious note, sunrise sunset is a good song

3x5sunrise
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm by no means a huge Conor Oberst fan, but I saw him and M. Ward play The Bowl with the L.A. Phil and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I'll watch him.

Memorial_07
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I like some of his solo stuff so I'm all for it

Alchemy
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
The Harley Davidson store in El Paso? What in the world? I've never heard of that.

(People playing there, that is; not the store itself, I've been in it.)

humanoid
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm by no means a huge Conor Oberst fan, but I saw him and M. Ward play The Bowl with the L.A. Phil and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I'll watch him.

they sounded good at that show, but to me it felt kinda like the death knell for Bright Eyes

I got used to seeing them in tiny places with a couple hundred people, when Conor was too scared to face the audience most of the show...definitely a much different experience than seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl with the philharmonic!

luckyface
01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Shit, one less spot for a good artist. Maybe he will just be serving spicy pie's!

3x5sunrise
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
they sounded good at that show, but to me it felt kinda like the death knell for Bright Eyes

I got used to seeing them in tiny places with a couple hundred people, when Conor was too scared to face the audience most of the show...definitely a much different experience than seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl with the philharmonic!

I really, sadly brushed Conor aside before about 2004, so I undoubtedly missed occasions like that. I agree, that was probably the last time for Bright Eyes, but I can't help but feel okay with the prospect of collaborating (like someone posted above) with Jim James and M. Ward. (Seeing those last two together during MMJ's set last year blew my mind.)

sacleonard
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't understand the Conor hate. I am not the biggest fan --- in fact, I'm indifferent. But I will probably check him out (assuming no conflicts).

humanoid
01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't understand the Conor hate. I am not the biggest fan --- in fact, I'm indifferent. But I will probably check him out (assuming no conflicts).

the problem is, most people became aware of him about 4 years after he was really good, then already into his decline phase

the media fawning over him, calling him things like "the new Dylan" doesn't help, it just builds up ridiculous expectations and sets up an inevitable backlash

Allen
01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Bring a lifetime supply of kleenex if you plan on catching his set crybabies

kitt kat
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
don't like his solo album, but bright eyes is a pretty nostalgic band for me. was a big big big fan in high school---but only of their alt. country stuff. if he plays anything from "LIFTED" i'll be stoked.

also, he's just a really nice dude.

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Bring a lifetime supply of kleenex if you plan on catching his set crybabies

I always carry a box, wherever I go, you never know when a crying fit may erupt

sacleonard
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
the problem is, most people became aware of him about 4 years after he was really good, then already into his decline phase

the media fawning over him, calling him things like "the new Dylan" doesn't help, it just builds up ridiculous expectations and sets up an inevitable backlash

I guess that's it for me. My expectations are fair, but nothing outrageous. He's not the second coming, but he'd probably give a decent set.

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
don't like his solo album, but bright eyes is a pretty nostalgic band for me. was a big big big fan in high school---but only of their alt. country stuff. if he plays anything from "LIFTED" i'll be stoked.

so are you considering Lifted his alt country stuff? or his stuff after lifted?

I met him in Omaha, years ago with a friend who knew him a little bit, and he actually was a really good guy...he was totally blowing up around the time right when Lifted came out and he could've been a conceited prick like a lot of people, but he was pretty cool and down to earth

matsuolost
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM

on a string...

i know i was big on bright eyes in high school too, but ive seen him and i dont think he'll be playing those songs so i will be somewhere else

oh im sorry! no its ok its ok, 1 2 3, 1 2 3

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I guess that's it for me. My expectations are fair, but nothing outrageous. He's not the second coming, but he'd probably give a decent set.

have you listened to Fevers & Mirrors or Lifted?

they are highly emotional, hence the whiny emo complaint from his detractors, and a little rough around the edges production wise, but there are some absolutely great songs with some fantastic lyrical content in my opinion

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
on a string...

i know i was big on bright eyes in high school too, but ive seen him and i dont think he'll be playing those songs so i will be somewhere else

oh im sorry! no its ok its ok, 1 2 3, 1 2 3

you're right, he likely won't play any of those songs, he tends to not like to play older material live, so I've kinda sworn off seeing him on his latest tours, because it inevitably disappoints me

matsuolost
01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
did you see the digital ash tour? where he played with the faint? that was an amazing tour

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
did you see the digital ash tour? where he played with the faint? that was an amazing tour

yeah, it was interesting, because it was definitely a departure from what he normally does, but truly I enjoyed the Faint a lot more on that tour...I saw Bright Eyes tour right before that for Wide Awake and I enjoyed it more, plus it was at a way better venue, so that had something to do with it also

FakePlasticMe
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Gross, I'm getting too old for the sad little Conor routine. I sat through some of his set in 05....no thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I thought that record was a gigantic pile of shit. The tour for it was even worse.

FakePlasticMe
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Why would they put the Faint first at Coachella? I realize they were touring together, but after you see the Faint's live set which rocks your face off then on comes baby Conor with his hoodie sleeves over his hands as he says things like "this song inspires even me, the uninspirable"....it failed me.

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Gross, I'm getting too old for the sad little Conor routine. I sat through some of his set in 05....no thanks.

his music is quite a bit different now, but if you don't like hm, there will be plenty of other stuff to enjoy

He was at Coachella in '04 and '05 and the Digital Ash set bored me terribly

FakePlasticMe
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
No I know, and that will leave room for me to see other bands and check out the bathrooms...

matsuolost
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I thought that record was a gigantic pile of shit. The tour for it was even worse.

of course, wide awake was way better but the tour was good, two drummers, some lucky ones got nick zinner on guitar.. and the frickin faint opening

humanoid
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
of course, wide awake was way better but the tour was good, two drummers, some lucky ones got nick zinner on guitar.. and the frickin faint opening

the Faint was awesome on that tour

TheDuke
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
emo? the majority of his albums nowadays are country. He plays folk music, and he's a poet, kinda like Bob Dylan.

Please refrain from comparing Connor Oberst to Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is a musical genius that wrote some of the best poetry of all time. Connor Oberst is just a dude who cries alot and occasionally writes good tunes.

shakermaker113
01-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Connor Oberst is just a dude who cries alot and occasionally writes good tunes.

I've never known him to cry.

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
01-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Please refrain from comparing Connor Oberst to Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is a musical genius that wrote some of the best poetry of all time. Connor Oberst is just a dude who cries alot and occasionally writes good tunes.

i'm sorry, i didn't mean to say he was anything like Bob Dylan cuase he isn't... but I just meant lyrically.. connor is a genious haha

cansei de ser sexme
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Nice! i have him in my lineup pool *high five*

i saw bright eyes at the el rey and yeah it pissed me off cause he only played like one song i knew then cut it off half way through but whatever. I used to like his stuff a lot. I thought Bright Eyes at the hollywood bowl was a good way to end how much i liked conor oberst and the gang. I dont like casadega or any of the country stuff.

frozen pilgrim
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
q:
what would conor oberst do?

a: cry.