PDA

View Full Version : The Desert Sun

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Sir Paul McCartney rumored to play Coachella

The Desert Sun January 22, 2009

In April, tens of thousands of music fans, and over eighty bands will flock to Indio for The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. According to one music website, Consequence of Sound, Sir Paul McCartney will be one of those performers.

Their latest web posting brings their tally of unofficially confirmed acts to 24.

This 'confirmed' lineup includes The Killers, No Age, Crystal Castles, Fleet Foxes, and a repeat appearance by mashup artist Girl Talk. In addition, the site also features a list of 36 'rumored' performers. Among this group are Blur, who are considered a popular choice among music experts based on the band's recent reunion with original guitarist Graham Coxon. Also mentioned are Outkast, Nine Inch Nails, The White Stripes, Neil Young, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The complete story can be found online at Conseqense of Sound. Los Angeles-based blog laist.com, and major music blog Stereogum.com have both reported the acts named in this web story.

In addition to these rumors, speculation over the reunion of indie pioneers Pavement seems to be hinging on the right offer from Coachella promoters, according to a new story on Stereogum.

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 02:39 PM
For the last time, I can confirm from a credible source that
HE WILL BE PLAYING

Enough with it

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
does the credible person have a peg leg?

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
no.

I can't give it away, or they'll probably be fired

aprillynnn
01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Crystal Castles!!

very cool.

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Seeing as Memorial is a no nonsense type around here I'm taking that as fact. *Preparing self to see McCartney on the lineup*

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Crystal Castles!!

very cool.

Not to burst any bubbles but don't get too excited until you see them live :-/ It's a far cry form the album

Shonky
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I hope crystal castles actually play this time, when I tried to see them at Glastonbury they had been kicked off stage for being too drunk!

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Seeing as Memorial is a no nonsense type around here I'm taking that as fact. *Preparing self to see McCartney on the lineup*

Really? I come off like that? I apoligize.

I just get sick of seeing the same stuff posted a billion times especially since I've pointed out countless times that paul is for sure playing.

Once again, sorry for seeming too uptight

frozen pilgrim
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
ugh. it's not that I don't want to see paul M... there's just a whole laundry list of stuff I've got ahead of him, you know?

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree. I also said the same thing about Waters last year and I am very grateful I saw him.

But it may seem unappealing right now, but I'm sure it'll be fuckin' epic

frozen pilgrim
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM

I just get sick of seeing the same stuff posted a billion times especially since I've pointed out countless times that paul is for sure playing.

no, I read that as a compliment, man. it means you're one of the endangered few CBRs who don't waste everyone's time with retarded rumors and aggravating repeat threads.

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
No-nonsense (at least IMO) means one who constantly has a stick up their ass about things. but the people who post stuff like "Radiohead confirmed" are just trying to get a rise out of people.

I'm a factual poster

calnick0
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Not to burst any bubbles but don't get too excited until you see them live :-/ It's a far cry form the album

I thought crimewave was pretty awesome live.

JebusLives
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Crystal Castles is not good live, and its all Alice's fault. She's fun to watch, though.

idriveawkwardly
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I saw Crystal Castles on halloween this year and it was ok. I left halfway through to go see some other DJ that I can't remember anymore...ha.

As for my man Paul. I'll definitely see him, but I can't guarantee I'll stick around for the whole set.

daft$tar
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM

i love the record - live it is hideous - she sounds like a drowning cat if not worse

rickibot
01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I totally agree that the album rocks, but live stinks

faxman75
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
No-nonsense (at least IMO) means one who constantly has a stick up their ass about things. but the people who post stuff like "Radiohead confirmed" are just trying to get a rise out of people.

I'm a factual poster

I don't think no nonsense is ever an insult. It was a compliment. Meaning you post facts not bullshit. You don't fuck around.

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
it just makes me seem uptight

SlowMotionApocalypse
01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
I didn't really care or believe or disbelieve the rumors but I did know he has been doing one-offs in lieu of touring the past 2 years and I headed over to the McCartney news page and when I saw he was playing the benefit in NYC I said to myself "This means he's gotta be playing Coachella!" You figure he's gotta pay a band their salary and have some expenses involved with putting a show together for the benefit so he might as well take a paying gig too to even it all out.

Stickjohn
01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Paul doesn't need the money. no source - just a hunch. I would not pay a hundred bucks to see him in nosebleed arena seats, but he would be an awesome Coachella headliner. That's what I'm loving bout Coachella last few years - see some legends, see a bunch of new bands I've never heard of before (yes I admit it!) and hear a bunch of in-between stuff too. In the desert. After a long Minnesota winter. I can't wait.

pancakespancakes
01-22-2009, 06:15 PM
it just makes me seem uptight

I do always wonder who is in your avatar, Memorial. I now I have a chance to ask. It's not Buzz Osbourne is it? Because that's who it always makes me think of...

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I do always wonder who is in your avatar, Memorial. I now I have a chance to ask. It's not Buzz Osbourne is it? Because that's who it always makes me think of...

Ha! And i thought someone's remark about it looking like einstein with a guitar was funny!

It's album art for a cd called Decapitated by Broken Bones and it's their guitarist.

An oldie but a goodie

pancakespancakes
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Dammit!

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-medium-23462-Buzz_Osborne.jpg

http://www.crustpunks.com/images/brokenbonesdecapitatebackpatch.jpg

I swear they were separated at birth.

Amneeziac
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Ok guys this thread is getting way out of hand.

I regret to inform you that Paul McCartney is not performing at Coachella this year. :(

.......and just like last year, half The Beatles are dead.

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
however, that guitarist is now completely bald.

but they are extremely similar looking. I still don't know who is the better guitarist...

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM

I regret to inform you that Paul McCartney is not performing at Coachella this year. :(

I CAN inform you that he IS playing

Sonicifyouwantit
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

thought you said coachella was cancelled in the other thread....

sad day when a newspaper is qouting CoS who is qouting the message board.

Memorial_07
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I guess today is a sad day, huh?

ZackQ
01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
The Daily Growl? That's not a reputable journal of opinion!

rage patton
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Neil Young would have been a better Sunday headliner than Paul McCartney.

cansei de ser sexme
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Crystal Castles is not good live, and its all Alice's fault. She's fun to watch, though.

apparently fun to touch as well...

*cue picture*

Boourns
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
So does she get off on being gang-groped at every show?

sacleonard
01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Sir Paul McCartney rumored to play Coachella

The Desert Sun January 22, 2009

In April, tens of thousands of music fans, and over eighty bands will flock to Indio for The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. According to one music website, Consequence of Sound, Sir Paul McCartney will be one of those performers.

Their latest web posting brings their tally of unofficially confirmed acts to 24.

This 'confirmed' lineup includes The Killers, No Age, Crystal Castles, Fleet Foxes, and a repeat appearance by mashup artist Girl Talk. In addition, the site also features a list of 36 'rumored' performers. Among this group are Blur, who are considered a popular choice among music experts based on the band's recent reunion with original guitarist Graham Coxon. Also mentioned are Outkast, Nine Inch Nails, The White Stripes, Neil Young, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The complete story can be found online at Conseqense of Sound. Los Angeles-based blog laist.com, and major music blog Stereogum.com have both reported the acts named in this web story.

In addition to these rumors, speculation over the reunion of indie pioneers Pavement seems to be hinging on the right offer from Coachella promoters, according to a new story on Stereogum.

I'm still trying to decide if I want this.
(not that it matters)

calnick0
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
i love the record - live it is hideous - she sounds like a drowning cat if not worse

not really because they distort alice so much that you can't hear that she's just screaming. If that's any different from the recorded versions of the song.

Tijuana
01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Paul M will be there. Goldenvoice is getting smarter every year. See... last year a lot of young people were complaining about Waters being an old fart and not having anything to do with todays indie rock bands. But everbody that saw that performance was in awe. And it brought out a lot of older folks that would not have normally attended Coachella. That's why every year, they are going to bring some old guuy from the 60's and 70's back. Don't be surprised if within 3 years they bring the surviving members of the Greatful Dead.

shotglass75
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Paul M will be there. Goldenvoice is getting smarter every year. See... last year a lot of young people were complaining about Waters being an old fart and not having anything to do with todays indie rock bands. But everbody that saw that performance was in awe. And it brought out a lot of older folks that would not have normally attended Coachella. That's why every year, they are going to bring some old guuy from the 60's and 70's back. Don't be surprised if within 3 years they bring the surviving members of the Greatful Dead.

and you know this information by talking with who? or are you just throwing out your thoughts without any real substantial evidence to back up your case?

Tijuana
01-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Talked to a person that handles both Coachella and Stagecoach marketing.

zipperhead
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
See... last year a lot of young people were complaining about Waters being an old fart and not having anything to do with todays indie rock bands. But everbody that saw that performance was in awe. And it brought out a lot of older folks that would not have normally attended Coachella.

I'll buy that. Probably one of the most thoughtful things i have read on this board.

Stickjohn
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Maybe dumb young people. Although, being neither young nor dumb, I did once miss most of a Dylan set because I didn't realize he was "opening" for Phil Lesh and Friends. I didn't know who Phil Lesh was...assumed they were the opener.

Lesson learned. I'm there for the opener.

oftheheartofthesoul
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I regret to inform you that spoofs of Psychic Friend's post are not funny this year. :(

oftheheartofthesoul
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
...and what the hell is this Desert Sun paper doing writing about rumors in Consequence of Sound? Don't they have anything better to write about? Like town ordinances or something?

sacleonard
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Not sure, but I read that the "convenience store robber" struck again. I hope that they catch him before April !!!

esy191
01-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Melvins for Coachella '09!

OR

Fantomas for Coachella '09!

Coachella is seriously lacking in good metal. Scars on Broadway and Enter Shikari just aren't going to cut it anymore.

Prof. Amaretto
01-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Paul M will be there. Goldenvoice is getting smarter every year. See... last year a lot of young people were complaining about Waters being an old fart and not having. anything to do with todays indie rock bands. But everbody that saw that performance was in awe.

Speak for yourself. That performance was by the book boring. It was like someone threw on a remixed 5.1 surround sound version of Dark Side of the Moon with other miscellaneous hits in there. I like Pink Floyd, but RW was pathetic.

Paul would be better, for sure. He's a better showman, and can actually move during a performance. Thank God the Sahara had some decent acts that day, or Sunday would have been for nought.

faxman75
01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Speak for yourself. That performance was by the book boring. It was like someone threw on a remixed 5.1 surround sound version of Dark Side of the Moon with other miscellaneous hits in there. I like Pink Floyd, but RW was pathetic.

The show was amazing. He has world class musicians and orchestrated a masterpiece that night. He could have just played the music but he created an experience.

magmazing
01-23-2009, 08:52 PM
The only really lame part of Waters was that the Obama confetti completely missed the target. The rest of the show was pretty solid... and I'm not and still not really into Roger Waters or Pink Floyd

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2009, 08:53 PM

I could not agree more. QFT.

Memorial_07
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Melvins for Coachella '09!

OR

Fantomas for Coachella '09!

Coachella is seriously lacking in good metal. Scars on Broadway and Enter Shikari just aren't going to cut it anymore.

you can say that again.

I'm totally down for the Melvins or Fantomas!

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM

No worries man. You don't come off as being uptight at all. I meant that you didn't do/say cazy shit or fuck with people unprovoked for shits and giggles. Ergo, I believe it when you say McCartney is headlining, I see no reason not to. And thanks for the confirmation, I'm quite pleased with it.

zipperhead
01-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Paul would be better, for sure. He's a better showman, and can actually move during a performance. Thank God the Sahara had some decent acts that day, or Sunday would have been for nought.

Really? You believe this? I didn't even think that GV was going to be able to pull off the Roger Waters show. I thought they would have to take out some elements because it was too big. The RW show is about the best audio/visual experience I have ever seen.

I wonder how much jumping around Paul M will do during Hey Jude...

Prof. Amaretto
01-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Really? You believe this? I didn't even think that GV was going to be able to pull off the Roger Waters show. I thought they would have to take out some elements because it was too big. The RW show is about the best audio/visual experience I have ever seen.

I wonder how much jumping around Paul M will do during Hey Jude...

I believe this because I was there. The audio was cool, but the visuals were meh. It was just boring, man, but that's my opinion. We left after about 45 minutes.

MarkO
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
ugh. it's not that I don't want to see paul M... there's just a whole laundry list of stuff I've got ahead of him, you know?

Look, Sir Paul is in his 60's. He won't be around forever nor will he be touring on his death bed. Enjoy this moment (if indeed it does happen).

Alright ?

microcuts
01-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Well, Mastodon is supposedly playing this year.

Memorial_07
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
they had better be.

I'm going to be incredibly bummed if they end up not playing

Tijuana
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I believe this because I was there. The audio was cool, but the visuals were meh. It was just boring, man, but that's my opinion. We left after about 45 minutes.

I bet to differ and there were about 35000 people there that would back me up.

brando4n82
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM

They didnt cut it to begin with

Memorial_07
01-24-2009, 06:24 PM
They didnt cut it to begin with

Yup. You understand brando.

Coachella has always had a very diverse lineup but metal doesn't seem to fit in...which may be understandable...but come on. Some metal is welcome

brando4n82
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Yup. You understand brando.

Coachella has always had a very diverse lineup but metal doesn't seem to fit in...which may be understandable...but come on. Some metal is welcome

I agree... bring on Mastodon!

I'd also like Melvins performing Stoner Witch or Stag in its entirety

Memorial_07
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Mastodon or even better...Meshuggah!!

Fuck...that'd be insane.

And by the way, I've had this sick thought for the past few months of Toxic Narcotic playing the outdoor theatre at night. That pit wouldn't even be right.

If you don't believe me or if you've never heard of them, look them up on youtube and look for the live in boston video.

But they'll never happen
:(

nbvwes
01-25-2009, 04:12 AM
i LOVE Toxic Narcotic!!!!!!!!!!

i spent years trying to get my friend's band to cover 'Asshole'...